Radio Shack: You've got Questions. We've got answers

Mistie Mullarkey

Jan 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/31/96
The following is an exerpt from the Canadian RS Catalog:

"...Radio Shack has many things to be proud of-our 800 retail locations
from coast to coast; our 2000 electronics experts who provide outstanding
product knowledge and customer care in our stores;... Our knowledgeable,
experienced staff can simplify technology, and answer thousands of
questions about how products work. That's why we say, 'You've got
questions. We've got answers.'"

Personally I think they should change the slogan to:"
"You've got questions. Get our catalog"

When I read such a thing in their catalog, I expect them to actually know
about their products. Like I have written before, when I brought a
defective cordless phone back, the manager was surprised to see that he
had a Call Display cordless phone in his store. Then it took him 25
minutes looking in the manual to see how it worked. Meanwhile he's telling
me about all the features of the phone. Duh! I already know about the
features that's why I bought it, just give me a new one!

Don't tell me that Radio Shack is supposed to be self serve when they
boast about their knowledgeable staff. The only thing RS staff know how to
do is change batteries.
--
ษอออออออออออออออออออออออออออออป
บ cv...@freeNET.carleton.CA บ

MHM

Feb 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/1/96
In article <DM24y...@freenet.carleton.ca>,

cv...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Mistie Mullarkey) wrote:
>The following is an exerpt from the Canadian RS Catalog:
>
>"...Radio Shack has many things to be proud of...
> ... 'You've got

>questions. We've got answers.'"
>
>Personally I think they should change the slogan to:"
>"You've got questions. Get our catalog"
>
>When I read such a thing in their catalog, I expect them to actually know
>about their products. Like I have written before, when I brought a
>defective cordless phone back, the manager was surprised to see that he
>had a Call Display cordless phone in his store. Then it took him 25
>minutes looking in the manual to see how it worked. Meanwhile he's telling
>me about all the features of the phone. Duh! I already know about the
>features that's why I bought it, just give me a new one!
>
>Don't tell me that Radio Shack is supposed to be self serve when they
>boast about their knowledgeable staff. The only thing RS staff know how to
>do is change batteries.

Don't think me heartless, but I watched a R/S employee sell a young lad 10
feet of solid core RG-59 an two 1/4" phone jacks so that he could replace his
Guitar to Amplifier cord.

I tried to inteject with the physical problems of this configuration, but the
arrogant ass blew me off as if I were ignorant. For the sake of
clarification, RG-59 is 75 ohm coax. By specification, it has a solid core.
That basicly means that it is not intended to be moved around alot. Impedance
mismatch? Well, yeah. Not enough to cause damage at the power levels in the
guitar feed, but still a mismatch. Interferance suppresion? It should be
better, providing the kid put it together right. Durability? No way.

Yet another example of the "WISDOM" at Radio Shack!

bre...@gulf.net | Poor planning on your part
| does not constitute a crisis
| on my part...

Bill Funk

Feb 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/2/96

============

Here's another:
I was in a RS one day when a lady made some inquiries about radar
detectors. She asked if a radar detector could be modified to detect the
(then) new laser speed guns.
Sure, said the clerk. They do it all the time. I pointed out to the lady
that this was not true, that radar and lasers use entirely different
technologies, not to mention different transmitted media, and the clerk
got mad, and told me that he ought to know, after all, *he* worked at
Radio Shack!
I told the lady that that was no guarantee, and left.

Bill Funk

bglid...@why.net

Feb 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/3/96
cv...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Mistie Mullarkey) wrote:

>Don't tell me that Radio Shack is supposed to be self serve when they
>boast about their knowledgeable staff. The only thing RS staff know how to
>do is change batteries.

If they -KNEW-, would they be THERE? If you -KNEW- this, would you
even bring it up? 8-)

-Brad

"Me thinks thou dou'st protest too much!"

SaltyFishSauce

Feb 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/4/96
(lets get back to something more practical and cut out the
bickering)

I use the Grove LP and it has survived 2 Chicago weather years 15
feet above a three story apartment building and 5 Wisconsin weather
years 25 feet above a windy hill. If you need replacement parts
they are available cheap from Grove. I have even modified the
mount from the side to the rear by removing the folded rear element
and slipping a pvc sleave around the boom and drilling the
appropriate holes to replace the rear element. Than I used U-bolts
to attach the rear extended pvc boom to a "metal" mast. Why did I
do this? To experiment, what else. Results? Its still up there
and it is slightly more directional in the low (~50Mhz) band. I
have also noticed that the higher the frequency the more lobes that
appear. I have about 4 (clover leaf) lobes at 2 meters and about 8
lobes at 440Mhz. NOT good IMHA! I also noticed that the closer to
a 90 degree angle off the boom you can get the feedline the better
the "pattern" is. However, with a vertically mounted LP, it
becomes impractical so I just bring the coax (9913) feed directly
back along the boom. I am sure that this has a big effect on the
pattern.

Whatever happened to the old laymens rule of thumb that the more
metal you have up there the better? Create vs Grove? I assume
that with a LP the more elements for a given bandwidth the flatter
the gain curve (+6dB) is across the band and the better the pattern
is. I know that with my Grove LP that the gain is NOT very
consistant but when I switch on the preamp that inconsistancy is
barely noticeable. Besides the Grove LP does a bang-up job on the
service/utility bands anyway so unless you have a continuous
coverage receiver its not a bad LP.

One thing I would not buy Goves LP for is if you intend to transmit
in the ham bands. The SWR @2m is a little too high for me (~>2:1
before and after my boom mod). In this case I would probably
spring for a Create LP if your looking for an all-in-one antenna.
One of these days I will get one (lets see April 15th, hmmmm...).

Comments, suggestions, criticism welcome...

(pass the Bud lite please)
Ignorace of the past, Ignorance of the present, these are forgivable.
Ignorance of how ignorant we are is unforgivable.

Thomas N Tumino

Feb 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/5/96
dito on the cluleless radio shack staff (in the US). You would think
they would make an effort to get technically adept staff...

Not all radio shack staff are cluleless, but no one can argue that the
vast majority of them have no knoweledge of electronics at all.

Odd for a store that sells capacitors, resistors, etc...

Mistie Mullarkey (cv...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA) wrote:
[...]

: --

Larry Vanerwegen

Feb 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/5/96
Thomas N Tumino (tum...@acsu.buffalo.edu) wrote:
: dito on the cluleless radio shack staff (in the US). You would think
: they would make an effort to get technically adept staff...
AS a former employee they won't as long as they pay $4.25. Harass the
employees with quotas (on how many name and phone numbers you get, And
don't dare get behaind on your three lines per ticket quota.

: Not all radio shack staff are cluleless, but no one can argue that the

: vast majority of them have no knoweledge of electronics at all.

AMEN!

: Odd for a store that sells capacitors, resistors, etc...
DITTO AMEN!

: : Don't tell me that Radio Shack is supposed to be self serve when they

: : boast about their knowledgeable staff. The only thing RS staff know how to
: : do is change batteries.

I was told as an employee RS is NOT self serve.....

As to changing batteries, I was instructed NOT to change batteries in
customers equipment. If I broke RS was liable and they didn't like it!

Ben Sanders

Feb 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/7/96
On Sat, 03 Feb 1996 02:23:15 GMT, bglid...@why.net wrote:

>cv...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Mistie Mullarkey) wrote:
>

>>Don't tell me that Radio Shack is supposed to be self serve when they
>>boast about their knowledgeable staff. The only thing RS staff know how to
>>do is change batteries.
>

>If they -KNEW-, would they be THERE? If you -KNEW- this, would you
>even bring it up? 8-)
>
>-Brad
>
>"Me thinks thou dou'st protest too much!"

I beg to differ with you if your RadioShack salesman has completed all
of his or her Radio Shack Certification Tests there is very little
thay can't answer. Most of the time it's not a matter of not knowing,
it's a matter of not wanting tobe bothered by all of the customer's
anoying little projects. Remember we are here to sell not build your
project; that is your job. Also, keep in mind "You've got question,
We've got answers" and the answer can be NO!!!

Sincerly,

Len Roberts, President Tandy Corp, and RadioShack

Richard A. Kroth

Feb 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/7/96
joseph c. hawkins wrote:

> Dear Len
>
> Thanks for clearing something up for me. Have I got an answer for you.
> In the future I plan to take my money for my "annoying" (learn to spell)
> little projects to someone who gives a fuck about selling me the correct
> part for my needs.
>
> Joe

> >I beg to differ with you if your RadioShack salesman has completed all
> >of his or her Radio Shack Certification Tests there is very little
> >thay can't answer. Most of the time it's not a matter of not knowing,
> >it's a matter of not wanting tobe bothered by all of the customer's
> >anoying little projects. Remember we are here to sell not build your
> >project; that is your job. Also, keep in mind "You've got question,
> >We've got answers" and the answer can be NO!!!
> >
> >Sincerly,
> >
> >Len Roberts, President Tandy Corp, and RadioShack

That message was not written by Len Roberts. It was written by
cs1...@mama.indstate.edu (Ben Sanders)at Indiana State University.

Richard A. Kroth
Trenton State College - Music Department
Technical Director, Audio Engineer
Kr...@trenton.edu - RAK...@aol.com
Voice - (609) 771-2563

joseph c. hawkins

Feb 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/7/96

R R M Tweek

Feb 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/7/96
In article <4fan57$5...@tel.den.mmc.com>,

joseph c. hawkins <claven.den.mmc.com> wrote:
>Dear Len
>
>Thanks for clearing something up for me. Have I got an answer for you.
>In the future I plan to take my money for my "annoying" (learn to spell)

I think he is trying to learn to spell. That might be why he was posting
from an EDU account:

From: cs1...@mama.indstate.edu (Ben Sanders)

>>Len Roberts, President Tandy Corp, and RadioShack

Instead of one of the following:

Tandy Coporation (RELAY3-HST) RELAY.TANDY.COM 139.60.210.2
Tandy Corporation (NET-TANDY) TANDY 139.60.0.0
Tandy Corporation (TANDY-DOM) TANDY.COM

--
tw...@netcom.com tw...@tweekco.ness.com tw...@io.com DoD #MCMLX SP-3
Fodder-Line: Rogue Agent Hubbard Thetan Scientology Clear OT Course Clam

werd

Feb 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/7/96
Bill Funk (skyp...@starlink.com) wrote:

: Here's another:

Well, if you can handle one more, a while ago I was in buying
something and a man came in and asked if RS sold Firestik's (fibreglass CB
antennas) and they salesman said "No, we only sell electronics merchandise."

Drew Durigan

Feb 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/8/96
Well, if you can handle one more, a while ago I was in buying
>something and a man came in and asked if RS sold Firestik's (fibreglass
CB
>antennas) and they salesman said "No, we only sell electronics
merchandise."

This is not as ridiculous question as it may seem to be. Most of the
Radio Shack "Authorized Dealer" stores (as opposed to the salesdroid-
infested company stores) DO carry Firestik and Francis antennas, right
along side of the (junk) Radio Shack antennas.

-Drew in Charlotte-

Mistie Mullarkey

Feb 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/9/96
Bill Nelson (bi...@PEAK.ORG) writes:

> I have rarely encountered a RS salesman that knew more than the specs of
> the equipment he/she sold. Very few had little idea what they were for, or
> how they worked - other than turning knobs.
>
> So, there is very much they cannot answer - although most seem to be
> unwilling to admit that fact.

They only know the specs by looking in the manuals at the Specification
pages. I got the RS frequency counter a few months ago, it was defective.
It displayed 000.0000 ALL the time even when beside a transmitter. So I
took it back, and said that it was defective. Well, they take the back
cover off, put some batteries in and voila!!! It works!!! The display
(000.0000) comes on. The salesperson then said to me: "you put the
batteries in the wrong way." I asked him if he knew what it was for, he
said "counting frequencies", very good, how about trying to count a
frequency now with it. Finally I told him to compare it with another
counter to see the difference.

Bill Nelson

Feb 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/9/96
Ben Sanders (cs1...@mama.indstate.edu) wrote:

: I beg to differ with you if your RadioShack salesman has completed all

: of his or her Radio Shack Certification Tests there is very little
: thay can't answer. Most of the time it's not a matter of not knowing,
: it's a matter of not wanting tobe bothered by all of the customer's
: anoying little projects. Remember we are here to sell not build your
: project; that is your job. Also, keep in mind "You've got question,
: We've got answers" and the answer can be NO!!!

I have rarely encountered a RS salesman that knew more than the specs of

the equipment he/she sold. Very few had little idea what they were for, or
how they worked - other than turning knobs.

So, there is very much they cannot answer - although most seem to be
unwilling to admit that fact.

: Sincerly,

: Len Roberts, President Tandy Corp, and RadioShack

So, you claim to speak for Roberts? Does he know about this?

Joseph Nooney

Feb 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/10/96
I highly doubt that the President of Tandy Corp would misspell
annoying or post such a sarcastic answer. Get real.

Glenn Johnson (KB5VQI)

Feb 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/11/96

>> So, there is very much they cannot answer - although most seem to be
>> unwilling to admit that fact.

They should be written up and/or fired for that!

> The salesperson then said to me: "you put the
>batteries in the wrong way." I asked him if he knew what it was for, he
>said "counting frequencies", very good, how about trying to count a
>frequency now with it. Finally I told him to compare it with another
>counter to see the difference.

Instant termination - if you don't know ask!!

I am surprised that they are still in busines - I hardly ever go to RS
anymore - and NEVER trust that Korean/Taiwan/Orient built
crap that sell - it always breaks! (at least the scanners are made by
Uniden and some of the computers are AST and IBM)

I stay very far away from the "counter help"
"you need a transistor? Umm... is that the one with 2 wires or 3?"

In all fairness, not all RS employees are slugs, just most of 'em.
:)

I went to a store to get an audio adapter for my HT (mini to 1/4")
I had to fight off the kids with the RC cars on the floor and
bother the employee to tear himself away from the game he was playing
(demo to a 'customer') to settle my bill.

It's getting worse every year - But I do remember 15-20 years ago, it
used to be THE BEST place to get components and some help.
Many radio projects were completed due to RS.
The tube tester was great!

Time changes things, but it can be better.

Raki - Glenn Johnson - KB5VQI - Fort Worth Texas USA
HM - ra...@metronet.com WK - glenn....@ast.com
WWW - http://www.metronet.com/~raki/raki.html

Bill Hammon

Feb 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/11/96
In article <3118ccf0...@onyx.indstate.edu>,
cs1...@mama.indstate.edu (Ben Sanders) wrote:

-->On Sat, 03 Feb 1996 02:23:15 GMT, bglid...@why.net wrote:
-->
-->>cv...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Mistie Mullarkey) wrote:
-->>
-->>
[...]

You've got questions, we've got Imposters:

-->Sender: ne...@onyx.indstate.edu
-->Date: Wed, 7 Feb 1996 16:06:31 GMT

You'd think Tandy would have it's own internet address. Aren't they in Ft.
Worth Texas? Maybe Mr President is on vacation in Indiana, and is using
his son's school account. Yeah, that's it.
Of course, I could be wrong. If I am, My appologies to Mr Roberts.

Bill Hammon
drh...@onramp.net
Home Page: http://rampages.onramp.net/~drhuman/
/~~~~\ /~~~~~~~\
/ V~\ -Whoah! That was cool! ( |
| | ( |
| | We're like at the end ( \\\ |
|/~~\ /~~\| of the page and stuff- ~~~~~~\ |
| ~ ~~ ~ | | | |
{ {O} |{O} }-Dammit Beavis! That | / | |
| | | part sucks! O O } |
| / \ | / \ |
| ^\/^ | Oh yeah- /_o) \|
| /++\ | |____ |
\ \__/ / -But the rest was cool _____\ |
\ / Yeah,yeah...cool- \____ |
| | Thankyou, Drive Through... \ |

Drew Durigan

Feb 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/12/96
>What makes anyone think that their scanners are made by Uniden?

Some of them are. You can tell by looking at them that they are
obviously imitations.

-Drew in Charlotte-

J. D. Beischel

Feb 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/12/96

In article <4fl659$7...@feenix.metronet.com> Glenn Johnson (KB5VQI
wrote:

>I am surprised that they are still in busines - I hardly ever go
>to RS
>anymore - and NEVER trust that Korean/Taiwan/Orient built
>crap that sell - it always breaks! (at least the scanners are made
>by
>Uniden

What makes anyone think that their scanners are made by Uniden?

Steve Kennedy

Feb 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/13/96
In article <4fnl0b$q...@news-e2a.gnn.com> duf...@gnn.com (J. D. Beischel) writes:
>From: duf...@gnn.com (J. D. Beischel)
>Subject: Re: Radio Shack: You've got Questions. We're clueless
>Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 10:02:14

Only SOME of the Radio Shack scanners are made by Uniden. Some models are
made by GRE Japan.

Steve

Young Sul

Feb 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/13/96
What about the pro51?
--
--------------------- ------------------------------
Young Sul Harvard University Library

Sean P. Watts

Feb 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/13/96

I disagree with what you say about Radio Shack. I've bought stuff from
them for years and haven't had any problems. When I had a problem with
something I never had any problem with either getting my money back or a
replacement part. I've bought two police scanners - a uniden 16-channel
basic scanner and then a about 4 months ago I bought a Radio Shack
100-channel with VHF Air and have never had a problem.

I'm not saying that they're perfect but when I need any electronic parts
Radio Shack is the first place I go.

Jonathan Clough

Feb 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/13/96
In article <4fnl0b$q...@news-e2a.gnn.com> duf...@gnn.com "J. D. Beischel" writes:

> In article <4fl659$7...@feenix.metronet.com> Glenn Johnson (KB5VQI
> wrote:
> >I am surprised that they are still in busines - I hardly ever go
> >to RS
> >anymore - and NEVER trust that Korean/Taiwan/Orient built
> >crap that sell - it always breaks! (at least the scanners are made
> >by
> >Uniden
>
> What makes anyone think that their scanners are made by Uniden?

Of the current RS range (going from the top of my head)..

Manufactured by Uniden....PRO-26
PRO-25
PRO-2036

Manufactured by GRE of Japan....PRO-44
PRO-60
PRO-62
PRO-2035
PRO-2042

GRE now have a manufactuting plant in China. The PRO-62 (or at least the
ones we have) are manufactured there as are the PRO-44's

I know I've missed some off...thats all I could rattle off....

--
Cheers,
/-------------------------------------------------------------------------\

J. D. Beischel

Feb 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/13/96
o.k., Drew says they look like Uniden's so Uniden must have made
them and Steve says that Uniden makes some and GRE makes some of
the others. Again, what proof does anyone have that they are made
by Uniden. Just because they look like products of another
manufacturer? What is the country of origin? Is it Korea?
Tandy's own manufacturing plants are in Korea.

Typically RS has its stuff made by its own plants or companies that
only do private label stuff. Very rarely will they go to a quality
name brand manufacturer to manufacture something with their name on
it because they cannot acheive the same level of profitability.
Remember their game is not quality and profit, it is just profit.

Scott Eveland

Feb 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/14/96

You want to know if your scanner is Uniden? Open it up. My Pro-35
and Pro-2026 have the Uniden name inside. My HTX-100 also says
Uniden, didn't know they were in the 10m business, but what the hell.

Scott Eveland Ham Call: KB0FKN
sku...@tcgcs.com Alternate: skut...@aol.com
Public safety dude in Hastings, Nebraska.
Standard disclaimer
There can be only one.

Scott Eveland

Feb 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/14/96
drh...@onramp.net (Bill Hammon) wrote:

> -->Len Roberts, President Tandy Corp, and RadioShack

>You've got questions, we've got Imposters:

Cute

> -->Sender: ne...@onyx.indstate.edu
> -->Date: Wed, 7 Feb 1996 16:06:31 GMT

>You'd think Tandy would have it's own internet address. Aren't they in Ft.
>Worth Texas? Maybe Mr President is on vacation in Indiana, and is using
>his son's school account. Yeah, that's it.
>Of course, I could be wrong. If I am, My appologies to Mr Roberts.

I don't think you need to apologize to loudly, Tandy does have its own
address, and yes, they're in Ft. Worth.

XTrenched

Feb 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/14/96
I got really bored one day and began to think. Back when I was playing
with CB's, I had to put in crystals for each channel. It finally clicked
then that the crystal rating in Mhz was the same frequency the CB
broadcast on(I'm almost positive)
Now, obviously, it won't be efficient, but shouldn't you be able to get
a say 832.xx crystal and plug it into the tx side to be able to talk on
cell phone frequencies?
This is, of course, only a quest for curiousity and I in know way want to
do anything illegal...I guess

Frank Allen

Feb 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/14/96
Stopped into RS yesterday for a couple parts.
Two people(not together) trying to return phone answering
devices that forwards to pager. Woman was calm but pissed. Man was
maniac, thought I would have to help restrain him.

I thought , what are the chances that RS would sell 2 items that don't
work as advertised? :)
Moral is:
Never buy at RS if it is available elsewhere!

POST

Feb 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/14/96
4 Sale 4 Sale 4 Sale

AOR AR8000 Wide Range Receiver Includes.
AR-8000 radio.
AOR Rubber Duck Antenna.
AOR Wall Battery charger.
AOR Belt clip wthh screws.
AOR DC power lead with cigar lighter plug.
AOR Hand strap.
Operating manual.
4 AA NiCad batteries.

Xtra 4 X 700mAh quick charge Fuji batteries.
Xtra wall quick charger holds 4 batteries.
****** PLUS ******
Optoelectronics Computer interface CX12 Complete.
Scancat-Gold software
Scan*Star software
Optoelectronics software

$550.00 + $10.00 next day shipping. USP Money Orders Only.
or best offer?

** e-mail - po...@hobbs.com **
** 201-943-3590 *=* Ridgefield, New Jersey 07657 **

---
OLX 2.1 TD Is That All There Is ??

.....oooooOOOOOo http://www.intac.com/~cono
__,-----. ---+_________#_ The Roy Hobbs BBS sy...@hobbs.com
|________| |__|___________} Node 1: 201-641-7307
ooooo oo ~ ooO-O-O-O == oo\ Node 2: 201-641-3126

C. Wheeler

Feb 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/14/96

Well no... 99.9% probability that it won't work at all. The crystal(s)
are just there to create the signals you need. After that they are of
course modulated, perhaps multiplied, and amplified in your transmitter.
Just about all other RF circuitry in the rig is "tuned" for the
frequencies you are using. Everything in a CB is set up for 27 MHz. You
probabaly wouldn't 800 MHz to go anywhere inside the radio, let alone to
the antenna.

Curtis

Mistie Mullarkey

Feb 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/14/96
J. D. Beischel (duf...@gnn.com) writes:
> o.k., Drew says they look like Uniden's so Uniden must have made
> them and Steve says that Uniden makes some and GRE makes some of
> the others. Again, what proof does anyone have that they are made
> by Uniden. Just because they look like products of another
> manufacturer? What is the country of origin? Is it Korea?
> Tandy's own manufacturing plants are in Korea.

Open some of the scanners up and look at the circuit board, -> UNIDEN
Of course some of their scanners are only licensed from Uniden but
manufactured by Maxon or the like. The Example the 2Meter Amateur HT is
licensed from Icom, but made by Maxon.

Brian Oakley

Feb 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/14/96
This is not possible. The internal oscillator that the crystal is put
into must be tuned to that frequency also. Without changing the
capacitors, coils, transistors, and the rest of the following
amplifiers, you could never do it. Just get a cell phone and stop
trying to do all this illegal crap. B.

John Wilkerson

Feb 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/14/96

Scott Eveland (sku...@tcgcs.com) wrote:
: Uniden, didn't know they were in the 10m business, but what the hell.

Who do you think made the President HR 2510? Uniden. That's the radio
Rat Shack sells..... minus FM, AM and one sideband.

--
John L. Wilkerson Jr... jwil...@freenet.columbus.oh.us

"Political Correctness is for mindless sheep.. Speak up how
_you_ want, not how others say you should"

Drew Durigan

Feb 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/15/96
>My HTX-100 also says Uniden, didn't know they were in the 10m business,
>but what the hell.

Huh?? Where have you been living for the past 8 years? Who do you think
manufactures the HR-2510??

-Drew in Charlotte-

C. Wheeler

Feb 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/15/96
duf...@gnn.com (J. D. Beischel) wrote:
>o.k., Drew says they look like Uniden's so Uniden must have made
>them and Steve says that Uniden makes some and GRE makes some of
>the others. Again, what proof does anyone have that they are made
>by Uniden. Just because they look like products of another
>manufacturer? What is the country of origin? Is it Korea?
>Tandy's own manufacturing plants are in Korea.
>
>Typically RS has its stuff made by its own plants or companies that
>only do private label stuff. Very rarely will they go to a quality
>name brand manufacturer to manufacture something with their name on
>it because they cannot acheive the same level of profitability.
>Remember their game is not quality and profit, it is just profit.

Not completely true. Tandy has some plants that make their own stuff.
But not usually from "raw material".

They often build "knock off" type equipment under license. For example,
a few years ago they were selling a transportable cell phone very similar
to the Nokia/Mobira. In fact it was the Nokia design. Tandy was
assembiling their own private lable version in Asia while the real Nokia
was made in Europe. All done under a license from Nokia.

Same goes for other radios. Many of their CBs, scanners, etc are made
with internal parts (assembled boards) manufactured by Uniden and others.
Tandy puts the Uniden "guts" into a slightly different package in thier
own, or third party facilities (usually in Asia).

Another product line that I used to be familair with was thier home
security products. Alarm door/window contacts, "window bugs" etc. That
were made by United Security Products in Livermore, CA.

I did some business with Memorex several years ago and was surprised to
hear that Tandy Magnetics made Memorex audio tapes (cassettes, etc.).
That's right Tandy made the stuff for, and owned an interest in Memorex.
This was several years ago and I don't know what the arrangemnets are
currently.

This is just to point out that you might be surprised at what is actually
in the box when you purchase something from RS. The big way they cut
cost over the "name brands" they use is the way they package it.

Dave Stuart (dstuart@umr.edu)

Feb 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/17/96

: XTrenched (xtre...@aol.com) wrote:
: : I got really bored one day and began to think. Back when I was playing
: : with CB's, I had to put in crystals for each channel. It finally clicked
: : then that the crystal rating in Mhz was the same frequency the CB

Another problem is that a CB broadcast is AM and cell is undoubtedly an
FM type xmission.

--
-- Dave Stuart
dst...@umr.edu

KB0SLY

Dave Hauss

Feb 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/18/96
I used to work at radio shack (about 6 years ago).. I was the tech person for
the store I worked at as well as some of the other stores that needed
assistance. Taking those tests mean nothing.. when I worked there, we were
allowed to take the book and the test home and take it then it would get sent
to the district office for scoring.. in fact, the manager of our store
highlighted the correct answers (although some of them were wrong)...

the reason why I dont work there anymore is simple and its probably why not
many tech people work there is because of the $$ they pay and the quotas they
set... I remember our store getting yelled at by the DM for out numbers..

Dave O'Neal

Feb 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/18/96

>Not all radio shack staff are cluleless, but no one can argue that the
>vast majority of them have no knoweledge of electronics at all.
>
>Odd for a store that sells capacitors, resistors, etc...

YOU EXPECT TOO MUCH!

1) Don't expect that a person trying to sell you something
(Radio Shack) will tell you the truth!

2) Don't expect much at all from a minimum wage earner!!!

Paul Bastian

Feb 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/18/96
> I quess I need to throw my two cents in. I am amazed what some
sales person will say to get a sale. Since I have an electronics degree
and work with computers, I feel that I know a least a little.
Since I travel the Northeast for work, I stop in R/S to kill time
and to pick up 5 & Dime Items, such as solder and Caps. To check out
how much the sales person knows I ask them a simple question.
What does the RG stand for in the Coax, (ie RG-59, RG-6 and so
on). You would be amazed the answers I get. But the most popular one is
that since Radio Shack sells only the best it stands for Really Good (the
best coax around). I have to hold back my laughter.
For those who are interested RG stands for Radio Guide, that was
the term given to the wire before it was called Coax Cable.
I once put in a application at a local R/S for the fun of it.
The store manager told me that they did not need anybody that knew
anything they wanted people with Sales skills. (?)

someone_who_knows

Feb 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/19/96
Paul Bastian <pbas...@sprynet.com> wrote:

To check out
>how much the sales person knows I ask them a simple question.
> What does the RG stand for in the Coax, (ie RG-59, RG-6 and so
>on). You would be amazed the answers I get. But the most popular one is
>that since Radio Shack sells only the best it stands for Really Good (the
>best coax around). I have to hold back my laughter.
> For those who are interested RG stands for Radio Guide, that was
>the term given to the wire before it was called Coax Cable.
> I once put in a application at a local R/S for the fun of it.
>The store manager told me that they did not need anybody that knew
>anything they wanted people with Sales skills. (?)

RG=Radial Ground.
cracker jack box degrees don't count

Mike Mayer

Feb 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/19/96
Paul Bastian wrote:

> Since I travel the Northeast for work, I stop in R/S to kill time

> and to pick up 5 & Dime Items, such as solder and Caps. To check out

> how much the sales person knows I ask them a simple question.
> What does the RG stand for in the Coax, (ie RG-59, RG-6 and so
> on). You would be amazed the answers I get. But the most popular one is
> that since Radio Shack sells only the best it stands for Really Good (the
> best coax around). I have to hold back my laughter.
> For those who are interested RG stands for Radio Guide, that was
> the term given to the wire before it was called Coax Cable.

I never knew that (I'm a ham, an electronics nut, and a scanner freak).
I'd venture to say that MOST hams don't know what RG means. Just like most
people don't know what BNC or N stands for, or for that matter, why the
batteries are named D, C, AA, AAA, etc. Kind of an unfair question to ask
a salesdroid (but fun to watch them squirm out an answer).

Here's one for you: Q: What size cells are used in a standard 6-volt
lantern battery (the ones with the springy terminals)? A: F-cells, there
are four of them (got this from a Radio Shack book, oddly).

I would, for example, expect an RS sales person to know the diff between
Narrow FM and Wideband FM, but not something as relatively obscure
(but great for Trivial Pursuit) as Radio Guide.

> I once put in a application at a local R/S for the fun of it.
> The store manager told me that they did not need anybody that knew
> anything they wanted people with Sales skills. (?)

Yep - hence the salesdroid syndrome.

--
^v^v^v^v^v^v PV-WAVE: Where it's @! http://www.vni.com ^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^
Michael Mayer, Senior Technical Support Engineer Amateur Radio KB8RJO

Sasa Grgasovic

Feb 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/20/96
XTrenched (xtre...@aol.com) wrote:
: I got really bored one day and began to think. Back when I was playing
: with CB's, I had to put in crystals for each channel. It finally clicked
: then that the crystal rating in Mhz was the same frequency the CB
: broadcast on(I'm almost positive)
: Now, obviously, it won't be efficient, but shouldn't you be able to get
: a say 832.xx crystal and plug it into the tx side to be able to talk on
: cell phone frequencies?
: This is, of course, only a quest for curiousity and I in know way want to
: do anything illegal...I guess

Hehe... I hope this is not some kind of a joke. No u can't. The biggest
difference normal CB can tolerate is some -+0.6mhz. ~800 mhz is just too
much for it, but U can modify some commercial radios (Motorola or such a
stuff) and actually talk with others using cell phones. It works for ATF2
(~400 mhz). But of course that's illegal and U wouldn't do such a things?
Or U would? :-).
--

--Maniac ContactInfo---------------------------------------------
mail :sgrg...@jagor.srce.hr URL: http://jagor.srce.hr/~sgrgasov

Mistie Mullarkey

Feb 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/20/96

(someone who knows) writes:
> Paul Bastian <pbas...@sprynet.com> wrote:
>
> (snip)

>> For those who are interested RG stands for Radio Guide, that was
>>the term given to the wire before it was called Coax Cable.
(snip)

> RG=Radial Ground.
> cracker jack box degrees don't count

Interesting answers!!! Actually RG= Royal Grade.
Originally there were several grades of cable with the Royal Grade being
the best.

Mistie Mullarkey

Feb 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/20/96
Sasa Grgasovic (sgrg...@jagor.srce.hr) writes:
> XTrenched (xtre...@aol.com) wrote:
> : I got really bored one day and began to think. Back when I was playing
> : with CB's, I had to put in crystals for each channel. It finally clicked
> : then that the crystal rating in Mhz was the same frequency the CB
> : broadcast on(I'm almost positive)
> : Now, obviously, it won't be efficient, but shouldn't you be able to get
> : a say 832.xx crystal and plug it into the tx side to be able to talk on
> : cell phone frequencies?
> : This is, of course, only a quest for curiousity and I in know way want to
> : do anything illegal...I guess
>
> Hehe... I hope this is not some kind of a joke. No u can't. The biggest
> difference normal CB can tolerate is some -+0.6mhz. ~800 mhz is just too
> much for it, but U can modify some commercial radios (Motorola or such a
> stuff) and actually talk with others using cell phones. It works for ATF2
> (~400 mhz). But of course that's illegal and U wouldn't do such a things?
> Or U would? :-).
> --

CB's also transmit AM, while cellular is FM. Another incompatibility.

Thadius T. Pigman

Feb 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/21/96
>Paul Bastian <pbas...@sprynet.com> wrote:
>
> To check out
>>how much the sales person knows I ask them a simple question.
>> What does the RG stand for in the Coax, (ie RG-59, RG-6 and so
>>on). You would be amazed the answers I get. But the most popular one is
>>that since Radio Shack sells only the best it stands for Really Good (the
>>best coax around). I have to hold back my laughter.

I can tell all of you, that the folks who man the Radio Shack stores, are in
no way "trained" to provide correct answers. Upon my retirement from the USAF,
I thought I would give my local Radio Shaft store a shot. Pay was $4.25 per
hour, with a useless promise of something called "commission". By the time the
upper level of management works the numbers, you usually end up standing on
your feet all day for about 9 hours and earning well less than $180 a week.

You will make more money at any Burger joint. Remember that the ad's claim
"you got question's, we got answers", they never even try to claim that the
answers given are in any way correct.

>> I once put in a application at a local R/S for the fun of it.
>>The store manager told me that they did not need anybody that knew
>>anything they wanted people with Sales skills. (?)

Great that your Radio Shaft manager was so up front with you. What they mean
is that they teach you to sell batteries with each flashlight, extra speaker
wires with each stereo, etc. etc. What I really hate is when they ask you for
your Name, address, phone number, etc. Pay in cash and tell em your name is
Charles Tandy! BTW, I know of no better place to go buy electronic bits. My
complaints are with the compensation given to their so called and self
proclaimed "experts with the answers". You can get better answers from the guy
at the burger joint from my experience...

R R M Tweek

Feb 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/21/96
Thadius T. Pigman <pig...@itron.com> wrote:

>You will make more money at any Burger joint.
>[...]

>My
>complaints are with the compensation given to their so called and self
>proclaimed "experts with the answers". You can get better answers from the guy
>at the burger joint from my experience...

Ironicaly, this all makes sense. ;-)

So why do you feel a RS employee should make the same amount of
money as a fast food worker, when the fast food worker gives
better answers? <grin>

--
tw...@netcom.com tw...@io.com | "Well, you and I would differ on
DoD #MCMLX tw...@ccnet.com | what's ignorance and educated."

Val Breault

Feb 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/22/96
Paul Bastian wrote:

> I once put in a application at a local R/S for the fun of it.
> The store manager told me that they did not need anybody that knew
> anything they wanted people with Sales skills. (?)

I've been involved with electronics for several decades. I've done
bench service, field service, I am an active amateur radio operator and
professionally a senior technician. I may not know as much as some
folks and certainly not as much as I wish I did but I know a few
things about electronics.

I also worked part-time for Radio Shack for three years ('93-'95).

At the start I'd do what I could to answer ANY technical question.
I'd help people select resistors and transistors. I'd review their
plans and offer alternative ways to build their little projects.

It took me quite a few months to understand that Radio Shack really
doesn't want or need super techs standing around chatting with the
customers. They need salespersons who have the technical background
necessary to close a sale.

Prior to learning that I was nearly always earning the hourly rate.
My co-workers were getting the good sales while I talked shop.
After learning that fact of life I was nearly always in commission.
The system is set up to reward good salespersons. I swallowed my
professional pride and worked toward being a better salesman.

In 15 minutes time I could chat with an electronics hobbiest and sell
him $8 worth of parts for minimum wage or I could chat with someone
else and sell him $250 worth of scanner and accessories at 6.6%
commission.

Can I help who's next? You need a fuse? They're in the back.
Can I help you sir? No, I don't what PNP means. Will that be all?
Can I help you? Yes, we have the new DSS. Did you know that it.....

--
Val Breault vbre...@gmr.com \ /| ars N8OEF
General Motors R&D Center, Warren, MI \ / | pres GM ARC

MIKEK...@aol.com

Feb 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/24/96
Did you try checking to see if Radio Shack can order it? They also have a list
of mfgs. 800 #s to put you in touch with the mfg.

73
Mike KC5GJN

Thadius T. Pigman

Feb 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/24/96
>>proclaimed "experts with the answers". You can get better answers from the
guy

>>at the burger joint from my experience...
>
>Ironicaly, this all makes sense. ;-)
>
>So why do you feel a RS employee should make the same amount of
>money as a fast food worker, when the fast food worker gives
>better answers? <grin>

Guess your right. It does have some sort of logic. I hope no one takes
my digs at the shack in any personal way. It's still the best place to
grab those hard to find electro-bits and pieces.. Great entry-level employment
as well. Still think though, if you wanted answers *AND* a burger, you have
only one choice!!

Since I am so far off topic so far, let me ask a question about my new Bearcat
BC3000XLT.

Could some one drop a note about where I could get a spare battery and case for
it? (I am not going to any burger joints tonight)!

Reverend Tweek

Feb 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/27/96
Mike Mayer <ma...@boulder.vni.com> wrote:

>I never knew that (I'm a ham, an electronics nut, and a scanner freak).
>I'd venture to say that MOST hams don't know what RG means. Just like most
>people don't know what BNC or N stands for, or for that matter, why the

I'm studying for a job at Radio Shack... mind if I try this one?

BNC = Big Nubby Connector

Then there are the TNC connectors used on cellphones: Tiny Nubby Connector

Oh, and the original... the plain old N connector... Yep... plain Nubby.

>I would, for example, expect an RS sales person to know the diff between
>Narrow FM and Wideband FM, but not something as relatively obscure
>(but great for Trivial Pursuit) as Radio Guide.

Hey... just go in there and watch them try to explain to an elder-folk,
how to interface their cable television in some form other than the
loopthrough in the VCR.

"Hi, welcome to Radio Shack. May I help you?"
"I'm looking for 7805 voltage regulator."
"Do you have the catalog number?"
"Nope, catalogs cost too much... don't need it anyway."
"I can't tell you where it is if you can't point to it in the catalog."
"That's fine, just ring it up."
"Oh, I could have told you where _that_ was."
*PLONK*

Cliff Pearson

Feb 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/27/96

I went to a Radio Shack the other day and noticed a new radio
I'd never seen or heard of before. I asked the clerk if it was
a scanner or a shortwave receiver, or what, and she SWORE it was
a scanner. I started asking questions about it, like, what's
the frequency range? How many channels? Etc. She didn't know
as usual. It turned out the radio was a shortwave general
coverage receiver.

Radio Shack employees are stupid. I've never been in a Radio
Shack where anyone could help me with ANYTHING. They know what
TV's, VCR's and cellular phones are, but thet couldn't answer
anything about them. One guy tried to tell me that a cellular
phone could be used in your house as a portable cordless phone.

"Hi welcome to Radio Shack, may I help you?"
"Yes, do you sell radios?"
"Uhhh, let me check, I'm not sure."
"Well, do you have anything electronic in this store?"
"I think so, ummmm, do you have a catalog number?"
"Do you know your butt from a brickwall?"
"Ummmm, I'm gonna let you talk to my manager, he could
probably help you with that."

Cliff

Steve Work

Feb 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/28/96
Cliff Pearson (db...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu) wrote:

: Radio Shack employees are stupid. I've never been in a Radio

: Shack where anyone could help me with ANYTHING. They know what
: TV's, VCR's and cellular phones are, but thet couldn't answer
: anything about them. One guy tried to tell me that a cellular
: phone could be used in your house as a portable cordless phone.

:

Well it can, can't it? Assuming the guy is being paid by commission, he
might not be quite as dumb as first would appear. Of course, the buyer
would have to be well-endowed with stupidity....

Mark L9

Feb 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/28/96
<<MOST hams don't know what RG means>> Really Good? I'm kidding.

<<most people don't know what BNC or N stands for... I'm studying for a
job at Radio Shack>>

Can't help you with the N connector, but BNC stands for the INITIALS of
the guy's name who designed the thing. This is in your EMPLOYEE TRAINING
MANUAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

joe2tpd

Feb 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/28/96
db...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Cliff Pearson) writes:

> I went to a Radio Shack the other day and noticed a new radio
> I'd never seen or heard of before. I asked the clerk if it was
> a scanner or a shortwave receiver, or what, and she SWORE it was
> a scanner. I started asking questions about it, like, what's
> the frequency range? How many channels? Etc. She didn't know
> as usual. It turned out the radio was a shortwave general
> coverage receiver.
>
> Radio Shack employees are stupid. I've never been in a Radio
> Shack where anyone could help me with ANYTHING. They know what
> TV's, VCR's and cellular phones are, but thet couldn't answer
> anything about them. One guy tried to tell me that a cellular
> phone could be used in your house as a portable cordless phone.
>
> "Hi welcome to Radio Shack, may I help you?"
> "Yes, do you sell radios?"
> "Uhhh, let me check, I'm not sure."
> "Well, do you have anything electronic in this store?"
> "I think so, ummmm, do you have a catalog number?"
> "Do you know your butt from a brickwall?"
> "Ummmm, I'm gonna let you talk to my manager, he could
> probably help you with that."
>
> Cliff
unden own's Tandy

Mistie Mullarkey

Feb 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/28/96
Mark L9 (mar...@aol.com) writes:
> << TNC connectors>> TNC = Terminal Node Controller.

TNC connectors have absolutely nothing to do with Packet Radio. They
aren't even the type of connector you would attach to a "Terminal Node
Controller"

Reverend Tweek

Feb 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/29/96
joe2tpd <joe...@postoffice.ptd.net> wrote:

>unden own's Tandy

Nope... and neither does Uniden.

J. D. Beischel

Mar 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/1/96

In article <4h2jjl$c...@ns2.ptd.net> joe2tpd wrote:
>unden own's Tandy

First, what's an "unden?"

Second, thousands of stockholders own Tandy.

Message has been deleted

Joe Kearney

Mar 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/4/96
db...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Cliff Pearson) wrote:

>Radio Shack employees are stupid. I've never been in a Radio
>Shack where anyone could help me with ANYTHING. They know what
>TV's, VCR's and cellular phones are, but thet couldn't answer
>anything about them. One guy tried to tell me that a cellular
>phone could be used in your house as a portable cordless phone.

I used to work and manage a few of the stores a couple years ago, and
this argument goes both ways. If you walk into a Radio Shack and
depend on a Shack employee for your information, youre an idiot. Just
like at many other retail chains, Shack employees are salespeople with
one thing in mind: to sell. They are not there to educate you, and
many times they dont know the product.

RS employees are not specialists, especially around the holidays. We
used to hire high school kids to come in and help for Xmas, etc. Do
you honestly expect a new employee to intimately know much of anything
about the completely diverse product line at the Shack? RS sells
mostly stereos, computers, VCRs, and small parts as the breadwinners
for the salespeople. With the near minimum wage and slim commision
rate they offer, theres not much incentive for the employees to do
much extraciricular work. Thats why its so hard to run a good store
(as I found out).

A good store has a mix of good salespeople to close big sales, and a
handful of specialists who can be called upon to get in depth with the
products. If the person youre dealing with isnt capable of helping
you, ask for someone else!

See ya, Joe

Rebecca Lockwood

Mar 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/4/96
9AA3...@sprynet.com>:<3128FE...@boulder.vni.com> <DnErx...@moraga.ness.c

om> <4gu1vr$r...@madeline.INS.CWRU.Edu> <4h0q1u$6...@madeline.INS.CWRU.Edu> <fergu

s.8.1.3...@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu>
RS recently dumbed down their commission pay scales so you make even less.
But hey, what do you expect, it's retail. You are not going to encounter
either the most capable or the most avid radio hobbyists working there. You
can find some good folks there that know their stuff, but that is usually the
case at some small franchise store in BFE. I can't see how this surprises
anyone, but I'm sure old Charles Tandy is spinning in his grave. Welcome to
the service economy, dude.

A. Hanson

Reverend Tweek

Mar 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/5/96
In article <4hgotp$d...@news.cis.okstate.edu>, <MIKEK...@AOL.COM> wrote:
> pha...@lynkers.com (Arthur Pharter) wrote:
>>
>>No need to apologize. Actually, Radio Shack does indeed hire stupid people.
>>They want folks that don't mind standing on their feet 9 - 11 hours a day,
>>earning about $5.00 an hour.
>
>I make about $8.00 an hr average at RS

That's nothing to brag about if you are including comission in that
average.

>Why dont you try telling them you dont want to give your name instead of
>giving them a hard time for doing their job.

Better than that... if they ask a second time, they lose the sale.

>BTW I guess youve never even peeked at the flyer you get in the mail have you?

I have mine sent to the local Shack address. Figure they can use
it more than me.

>I think that the information they collect is sent
>>directly into the BATF who will eventually raid your home and steal your
>>electronics, kill your pets, rape your wife and stomp your kids to death.
>
>Paranoid are we?

Even paranoids have enemies.

nicolas bello

Mar 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/5/96
Joe Kearney wrote:

> I too work in a Radio Shack but it seems that my experiences have been far different than those I've read about on this group. Perhaps that's due to the fact that I live in Canada. Here we
get at least $7/hr for minimum wage. However, I wouldn't be caught dead working for that pitiful
amount. The truth is that with some good, old-fashioned hunger I average $10+ even in the
off-season (ie. Jan-Nov) :) Our company loves the young, part-timers going to colleges and
universities 'cause they'll know that we'll hustle our asses off to pay these student loans. So
far I have received a great deal of product and sales training with both role-playing and reading
supplements. The sad truth in retail is that you will have high employee turnover so it
sometimes is difficult to return to the same store and find the person who originally helped you.
However, despite stiff competition in areas such as computers and personal electronics, we have
found our niche here. Our store sells at least 2 scanners and/or cbs per week. Nobody can match
us nationally for these kind of products. Also, our expansion into repair work means customers
no longer have to throw away electronic goods that have stopped working. I'm sorry if this
sounds like an ad but I must say I do enjoy working for this company, at least for now. As to
our knowledge, if I'm giving the choice of answering questions about an 0.89$ pack of resistors
or a $300.00 scanner, which do you think I'll "know" more about? I'll always remember the ad for
a law firm headhunting for JPs, in part it read, "Eat what you kill." Words to live by indeed.

MIKEK...@aol.com

Mar 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/5/96
In article <4hdqe0$6...@krel.iea.com>,
pha...@lynkers.com (Arthur Pharter) wrote:
>From: pha...@lynkers.com (Arthur Pharter)
>Newsgroups: rec.radio.scanner,alt.radio.scanner
>Subject: Re: Radio Shack: You've got Questions. We've got answers
>Date: 4 Mar 1996 04:09:36 GMT
>
>In article <4h0q1u$6...@madeline.INS.CWRU.Edu>, db...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu
>says...
>>

>>I need to make a very public apology. It is not at all comon for
>>me to use the word "stupid" to describe people, and rarely do I
>>attack organizations. Yet, in my diatribe against Radio Shack
>>in an earlier post, I did both.

>No need to apologize. Actually, Radio Shack does indeed hire stupid people.
>They want folks that don't mind standing on their feet 9 - 11 hours a day,
>earning about $5.00 an hour.

I make about $8.00 an hr average at RS

Radio Shack managers are probably the most
>exploited folks in the world.
>
>Their policy of asking all the personal information when you buy a .19
battery,
>plumb pisses me off.

Why dont you try telling them you dont want to give your name instead of
giving them a hard time for doing their job.

BTW I guess youve never even peeked at the flyer you get in the mail have you?

I think that the information they collect is sent

>directly into the BATF who will eventually raid your home and steal your
>electronics, kill your pets, rape your wife and stomp your kids to death.
>

>Okay... maybe I went a bit far about the BATF. Actually they would shoot
your
>kids, not stomp em...

Paranoid are we?

Drew Durigan

Mar 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/6/96
> I might be tempted, in this case, to pick up a VERY
>expensive item, glance at my watch a few times and act impatient, then
>set it down and walk out before the droid gets to me.

Use the most expensive "sale-item' that you can find. (The monthly
"sales-items" are usually out front, as opposed to being behind the
counter.)

Handheld scanners and ham radios are particularily good for this type of
thing.

-Drew in Sunny Central Florida-

Arthur Pharter

Mar 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/7/96
><>this argument goes both ways. If you walk into a Radio Shack and
><>depend on a Shack employee for your information, youre an idiot.

Ok then Mr. X Radio Shaft manager.... Just who is the idiot(s) that spend the
big bux on those "We've got the answers" commercials????

There is no reason NOT to expect answers and I mean correct ones, we customers
are asked to drop $100 plus on their products... While it may be unreasonable
to ask the sales dude how to build a scanner, it is not to much to expect that
he/she/droid could discuss band width, freq ranges, etc....

A. Pharter

MIKEK...@aol.com

Mar 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/9/96
In article <313C1C...@direct.ca>, nicolas bello <nbe...@direct.ca> wrote:
>From: nicolas bello <nbe...@direct.ca>

>Newsgroups: rec.radio.scanner,alt.radio.scanner
>Subject: Re: Radio Shack: You've got Questions. We've got answers
>Date: Tue, 05 Mar 1996 02:50:25 -0800

Amen
Mike KC5GJN

MIKEK...@aol.com

Mar 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/9/96
In article <slworkDn...@netcom.com>,
slw...@netcom.com (Steve Work) wrote:
>Newsgroups: rec.radio.scanner
>From: slw...@netcom.com (Steve Work)

>Subject: Re: Radio Shack: You've got Questions. We've got answers
>Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 17:02:54 GMT
>Sender: slw...@netcom15.netcom.com
>
>Reverend Tweek (tw...@netcom.com) wrote:
>
>: >Why dont you try telling them you dont want to give your name instead of
>: >giving them a hard time for doing their job.
>
>: Better than that... if they ask a second time, they lose the sale.
>
>I have no trouble saying "no" when they ask for my name. However,
>inevitably there are three morons in line ahead of me who will
>painstakingly give whatever data the salesdroid requests, just to buy a
>couple of batteries. I might be tempted, in this case, to pick up a VERY
>expensive item, glance at my watch a few times and act impatient, then
>set it down and walk out before the droid gets to me.

Thats fine too!

Glenn Johnson (KB5VQI)

Mar 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/10/96

Reverend Tweek

Mar 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/10/96
Bill Funk <skyp...@starlink.com> wrote:
>pha...@lynkers.com (Arthur Pharter) wrote:
>>
>>There is no reason NOT to expect answers and I mean correct ones,
>
> Actually, there is such a reason.
>When you, as a scanner hobbyist, walk into Radio Shack, why do you expect
>that salesperson to know about not only *your* hobby in deatail,

Then Radio Shack should NOT be saying "You have questions, We have answers."

BTW: Radio Shack is not the first to use the above bullsh** motto. Back
around ten years ago, a bay area television station station used the
exact same line for their newscast. (They too, did not have all the
answers... nor were they correct.)

Another TV station had the "THEY have xxx, WE have xxx" (xxx=choppers,
reporters, whatever) and then "We have xxx, They don't." (Got in front
of me right now, a KRON postcard "They got postcards, We got Postcards.)
Meanwhile, KGO radio, the talk radio station in the Bay Area, started
their own counter-campaign "You've got questions, so do we"... probably
more truthfull that the original.

Radio Shack: You've got questions, We can BS.

Message has been deleted

Brian Morgan

Mar 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/11/96
ra...@metronet.com (Glenn Johnson (KB5VQI)) wrote:

Well said... Speaking of Clueless...
Brian

Mark E. Daniel

Mar 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/11/96
You have to realize that no where in the "You've got Questions, We've Got
Answers" thing does it say that the answers and questions will be
evenly matched. Just about anyone can who is deep into a hobby will tell
you to know what you want before you go to Raido Shack if you go at all.

You do have questions and they do have answers, just maybe not to your
questions. And even then they might know where you can get is answered
and we as good and knowlegeable people might suggest to them where to
take people like that instead of slamming them for not knowing everything
under the sun.
--
Mark E. Daniel
ma...@lsi.ald.net (online)

Colin Walker

Mar 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/11/96

>So should I go running back to my Radio Shack and drop the $40 that it
>will cost me for the splitter, or should I just go running the other way?

I have seen splitters for a much better price mail order (I believe from
Scanner World USA). Pretty much, if you buy from RS, you pay twice as much
(or more) for something that is going to fall apart soon after you buy it.

Colin Walker
cwa...@aa.net

David Starr

Mar 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/11/96
On 11 Mar 1996 19:09:15 GMT, Brian Morgan <brian....@sdrc.com>
wrote:

<>Eclectic Seizure <sei...@fdt.net> wrote:
<>>All these goddamn liberal fags sit on their fat asses in
<>>Atlanta or wherever the fuck Tandy is and laugh because they got
all the
<>>nieve retards to buy their merchandise.
<>How in the world would you know that they are liberal fags? How
could
<>you possibly know about the size of their asses? And what in the
hell
<>is a "nieve"? These RS posts are getting pretty funny...
<> Brian
<>

Yessir, forget TV; the 'net is FAR more entertaining.

Cogito, ergo zoom I think, therefore I go fast!

Dave Starr

J. D. Beischel

Mar 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/12/96
In reference to the following. When I worked at RS back in the '70s, I knew
all my products. The stereos, scanners, CBs, marine radio, parts,
computers, etc. There is no excuse for not learning the basics of the
products. An RS salesperson does not have to learn your hobby, but they do
have to know their products. Therein lies the problem. They don't know
their products.

In article <4hoc5e$j...@pegasus.starlink.com> Bill Funk wrote:
> Actually, there is such a reason.
>When you, as a scanner hobbyist, walk into Radio Shack, why do you expect

>that salesperson to know about not only *your* hobby in deatail, but the
>hobby of all others who walk in? Band width? Are you kidding? How long did

>it take *you* to know the bandwidth of *your* scanner?
>And, of course, that same salesperson should be able to answer the
>audiophile when he asks for the roll-off characteristics if a certain
>stereo. And describe the lobe pattern of the TV antenna for the TV user.
>And the security code depth for the cordless phone buyer.
>
>It ain't gonna happen. No way. And to expect all this is unreasonable.
>
>SO, what should we expect? How about enough so that when a newbie walks
>in, the salesperson can explain what a scanner *is*, and what it will do
>in general terms. In the Radio Shacks I've been in, the salespeople can
>usually do that, if they've been there for a while. But, guess what? Like
>most low-paying jobs, the turnover is high.
>
>So, what to do?
>Learn about the scanners from here, not there. Realize that you know more
>about scanners than they do.
>And realize, too, that there are many people here who can ask *you*
>questions that *you* can't answer, and realize that that's not a failure
>on your part.
>
>And, of course, thank your lucky stars that you don't have to work at
>Radio Shack ;-).
>
>Bill

Mistie Mullarkey

Mar 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/12/96
J. D. Beischel (duf...@gnn.com) writes:
> In reference to the following. When I worked at RS back in the '70s, I knew
> all my products. The stereos, scanners, CBs, marine radio, parts,
> computers, etc. There is no excuse for not learning the basics of the
> products. An RS salesperson does not have to learn your hobby, but they do
> have to know their products. Therein lies the problem. They don't know
> their products.

Exactly!!! I bought a cordless phone at RS, it was defective so I took it
back the next day. The Manager didn't even know he had that kind of phone.
It then took 30 minutes for him to find out how the phone worked and
confirm that it really was defective. They should at the very least know
all the products they sell, what they are for, what they do. I don't
expect them to know the specifications of every product, but at least have
a general knowledge of how the products work. Some of them don't know the
difference between a CB and a scanner!

Arthur Pharter

Mar 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/13/96
>=====================

> Actually, there is such a reason.
>When you, as a scanner hobbyist, walk into Radio Shack, why do you expect
>that salesperson to know about not only *your* hobby in deatail, but the
>hobby of all others who walk in?

Could it be that it's HIS FUCKING JOB to know? We aren't talking about
wondering around a hobby club outing... Radio Shack tells us that they are the
folks to come to with your questions.

Band width? Are you kidding? How long did
>it take *you* to know the bandwidth of *your* scanner?

About as long as it takes to read the catalog giving the specs... Perhaps
even reading the back of the scanner. Any salesman who can't read you the
specs of the equipment he sells (let alone have it memorized), should go and
wash dishes somewhere...

>And, of course, that same salesperson should be able to answer the
>audiophile when he asks for the roll-off characteristics if a certain
>stereo.

If the audiophile is being asked to part with several hundred bux, why the hell
not?

>And describe the lobe pattern of the TV antenna for the TV user.

Should be able to direct the customer to the answer.. Perhaps in one of
Tandy's own reference books?

>It ain't gonna happen. No way. And to expect all this is unreasonable.

If it's so unreasonable, then perhaps they should rethink the brilliant motto
they have inflicted on us.

>SO, what should we expect? How about enough so that when a newbie walks
>in, the salesperson can explain what a scanner *is*, and what it will do
>in general terms.

Ain't that what I said???

>And, of course, thank your lucky stars that you don't have to work at
>Radio Shack ;-).

Been there, done that... can't you tell????

Reverend Tweek

Mar 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/14/96
Mark E. Daniel <l...@aldhfn.aldhfn.org> wrote:
>You have to realize that no where in the "You've got Questions, We've Got
>Answers" thing does it say that the answers and questions will be
>evenly matched. Just about anyone can who is deep into a hobby will tell
>you to know what you want before you go to Raido Shack if you go at all.

I don't have to realize anything. This is the "image" Radio Shack
presents with their advertising, "We are THE place for hard to find
tubes", "We are the place for hard to find batteries", "We have Answers"
and the like... No... Radio Shack presents this image, they have to
put up with the crap when they can't live up to the image.

>You do have questions and they do have answers, just maybe not to your
>questions. And even then they might know where you can get is answered
>and we as good and knowlegeable people might suggest to them where to
>take people like that instead of slamming them for not knowing everything
>under the sun.

This is a bullshit answer and you know it. Half the time they don't
even try. Read my posting on my attempt to purchase a $40 battery
pack. The pack didn't even have to fit, but no, the guy volunteered
that there was no way I could hack it. The guy didn't even look at
the battery. It was a totally idiotic and stupid action in the sense
of their promotion AND in the business sense. I was the expert, and the
guy said NO.

Mike Owyang

Mar 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/14/96
One of the counter jocks at my local RS didn't even know the proper
procedure to redeem the $3 catalog coupon!

--
Mike Owyang
mw...@value.net

FREDERICK R. LAMBERT

Mar 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/14/96
In <mwmic-13039...@k27.value.net> mw...@value.net (Mike Owyang)
writes:

>One of the counter jocks at my local RS didn't even know the proper
>procedure to redeem the $3 catalog coupon!

Last week a salesdude try to sell me a 20 dollar warranty
for a 10 dollar headset. Oh, well.

Chas

Mar 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/15/96
mw...@value.net (Mike Owyang) wrote:

>One of the counter jocks at my local RS didn't even know the proper
>procedure to redeem the $3 catalog coupon!

>--
>Mike Owyang
>mw...@value.net

In a 5 mile radius of where I live (in Central Maryland) I find the
service varies tremendously from store to store (and neighborhood
to neighborhood) The stores in the large malls seem to have better
sales help. All in all if I know exactly what I need and can just take
it from the shelf or rack I go to Radio Shack. If its something I
need advise on I usually go to Bainsville Electronics on Joppa Road
where they have very knowledgeable people. Even the cashier knows
about basic parts and can find them without asking for a catalog
number!!

One time I tried to order something a the nearby Radio Shack, the
salesperson told me I'd have to come back when the manager was there.
He didn't know how to process an order. I left and called the regional
manager who said he'd call me right back. That was 6 months ago. Maybe
I should go somewhere else for the modem I'm using????
Charlie

Arnie B.

Mar 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/15/96
In article <DoAEp...@abs.net>, cb...@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us (Chas) wrote:

<snip>

> One time I tried to order something a the nearby Radio Shack, the
> salesperson told me I'd have to come back when the manager was there.
> He didn't know how to process an order. I left and called the regional
> manager who said he'd call me right back. That was 6 months ago. Maybe
> I should go somewhere else for the modem I'm using????

I guess I have to keep waiting also. On February 18 I sent the following
email to Radio Shack HQ in Texas:

"I had a frustrating experience with your Cooper City, FL store today. The
hour posted for closing is 5 PM. I saw a sign in the window at 4:53 PM
indicating "CLOSED". I parked and was at the front door by 4:54 PM. Two
employees were in the store, one behind the counter, the other leaning on
his elbows onto the front of the counter.

I knocked at the door and was totally ignored. I knocked again, very
loudly, and the young man got off his elbows and pointed to his watch and
looked away. I had to knock agin loudly for him to look up. I shouted
that it wasn't even 4:55, and I just wanted to buy a book. (I had seen the
book there before) He again pointed to his watch. I then shouted: "What
do I have to do?!? Write to Tandy in Texas?!?" He then conferred with the
person behind the counter, pointed to that person, and shrugged his
shoulders.

I am well aware of the retail business and closing a unit for the day. If
the store has 5 PM posted as closing, and it is known that a customer wants
to make a specific purchase taking about one minute, serve the customer -
or stop leaning on the counter, close the store and go home.

This is the SECOND time in the past two weeks I have had a bad experience
with that store. I'm just too annoyed to keep writing!"

---------------

Radio Shack responded on February 19 with:
"Thank you for your E-Mail. It has been directed to Mr. Moe Lucena,
RadioShack Regional Sales Manager.

Expect to hear from Mr. Lucena or one of his representatives shortly."
-------------------

Well, it's March 15, and no reply yet. I'm not holding my breath for a reply.

SARUMAN

Mar 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/15/96
>mw...@value.net (Mike Owyang) wrote:

>>One of the counter jocks at my local RS didn't even know the proper
>>procedure to redeem the $3 catalog coupon!

>>--
>>Mike Owyang
>>mw...@value.net

>In a 5 mile radius of where I live (in Central Maryland) I find the
>service varies tremendously from store to store (and neighborhood
>to neighborhood) The stores in the large malls seem to have better
>sales help. All in all if I know exactly what I need and can just take
>it from the shelf or rack I go to Radio Shack. If its something I
>need advise on I usually go to Bainsville Electronics on Joppa Road
>where they have very knowledgeable people. Even the cashier knows
>about basic parts and can find them without asking for a catalog
>number!!

>One time I tried to order something a the nearby Radio Shack, the

>salesperson told me I'd have to come back when the manager was there.
>He didn't know how to process an order. I left and called the regional
>manager who said he'd call me right back. That was 6 months ago. Maybe
>I should go somewhere else for the modem I'm using????

>Charlie

Next time ya need something ordered from the Catalog avoid the Whole Lot of
them. Call 800-THE SHACK you'll get an operator who'll happily take your order
which will arrive a few days later barring any problems.

<tsb>
Midgard Graphics
3D Animation and Special FX for the hobbyist videographer
Email: mid...@nycmetro.com

--
Drop into #amigacafe on IRC's undernet for a chat sometime

--

<tsb>

A man of many hobby's master of none.

Steve Work

Mar 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/16/96
SARUMAN (mid...@nycmetro.com) wrote:

: Next time ya need something ordered from the Catalog avoid the Whole Lot of

: them. Call 800-THE SHACK you'll get an operator who'll happily take your order
: which will arrive a few days later barring any problems.

But you WILL have to give them your name and address. :)

SARUMAN

Mar 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/17/96
>SARUMAN (mid...@nycmetro.com) wrote:

At first I misssed the Smiley at the end of your msg and was quite confused ;-)
I am one of the few folks that doesn't mind "Junk" mail since I tend to be a
lazy lout and buy most of my goodies via mail so I tend to enjoy alot of the
Junk mail sent to me from companies selling my name and address to other
Company's.

Brian Oakley

Mar 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/17/96
Liberal? Probably conservatives. These are business men ya know.

: On Sun, 10 Mar 1996, Reverend Tweek wrote:

: > Bill Funk <skyp...@starlink.com> wrote:
: > Meanwhile, KGO radio, the talk radio station in the Bay Area, started

: > their own counter-campaign "You've got questions, so do we"... probably
: > more truthfull that the original.
: >
: > Radio Shack: You've got questions, We can BS.

: There's propaganda for ya. They can push lamers into trusting them so
: they will buy, buy, BUY! Lamers. I can't believe what this world is
: coming to. All these goddamn liberal fags sit on their fat asses in

: Atlanta or wherever the fuck Tandy is and laugh because they got all the
: nieve retards to buy their merchandise.

: JunKie <sei...@fdt.net>

Brian E. Davis

Mar 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/17/96
On Tue, 05 Mar 1996 20:44:34 GMT, des...@tir.com (David Starr) wrote:

>On Mon, 04 Mar 1996 08:54:51 GMT, t...@cyberspy.com (Joe Kearney)
>
><>>Radio Shack employees are stupid. I've never been in a Radio
><>>Shack where anyone could help me with ANYTHING.

Yes, I have worked for RS (as sales AND Mmanagement), and I have to
agree, most of the salespeople and management at the Shack don't have
a clue about what they're selling or what it does. They know about as
much about a product as you can get from the catalog, or less, since
most of the employees don't read all the fine print in the catalogs.

RS has a couple of things holding them back from EVER living up to
their slogan:

-They have virtually NO training for any of their employees. Maybe
this has changed somewhat since I left, but from what I have seen
talking to the local RSers, I doubt it. Until I was in management I
never attended any training at all, and as management it consisted of
a once a year two-day meeting concerning the new catalog. Rank and
file employees see a few company newsletters (if their manager gives
them to them) regarding products, recalls, etc.

-Most Store Managers really want to help the customers, but except for
their particular are of interest, all they know about the products is
FROM the customers. I leared alot about stereros and such from my
audiophile customers, because I knew little about them myself.

-There is little incentive for the salespeople to learn, and for the
managers to teach. When I was in sales and even up to being an
assistant manager I was paid minimum wage or a small commission on
what I sold, whichever was higher (and sometimes, minimum wage was
better). The commision was lowered at christmas (so we wouldn't all
get rich <ha!>), and varied from 4.5 to 6.5 percent of sales. Not
alot of money if you know that RS prided itself on making at least 40%
on everything it sold. That might have changed now that they are
selling other companies' products, but the mark-up on some of their
brands was outrageous. However, based on these numbers, it was
worthless for me to invest much time in any employees because they
would leave as soon as they could. I had some great people from a
local college (FIU) who would work their to get a discount on the
parts they bought for electronic courses and such, and I was always
really liberal with sale prices, damaged goods, etc. but they would
soon leave.

-Management at the store level is not paid much better. The best and
the brightest soon leave, what with the low pay, long hours, and
inventory every two months. You are constantly under pressure to
sell, sell, sell, no matter what junk is distributed to your store
(like the pathetic Xmas toys). Virtually every member of management I
knew at RS had lots of the RS merchandise at home.... undocumented
compensation of a sort, since they got paid beans.

-RS executive management is so lost as to be pathetic. They are not
cutting edge electronic buffs, they are just old businessmen living in
the days when we all drove Chysler Imperials. They have stumbled into
a few hot areas (TRS-80 Model I), but strictly by chance. Go back and
look at how much of the PC market they have given up in 10 years.
They used to control 40% (mid '80's), but now they aren't even a blip
on a pie chart.

Just my HO, but I bet there are ALOT of former RS managers out there
with similar stories. Why don;t we all post them and see how long it
is before Mr. Roache (CEO of RS) responds. He probably has heard
about the internet, don't you think? Might even have some one on his
staff with a dial-up account....

John Stephen

Mar 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/18/96
Well, although this thread seems just a little pointless (personal
opinions about an entire chain based on a few local experiences seem
silly, and holding local store owners responsible for their franchises
national market campaign, well, hmmm....), I feel I must throw in my own
recent experience with my Radio Shack.

I purchased a Pro-51 (my first scanner!) this past weekend and the
salesperson was _very_ helpful. He answered all of my questions about the
different models and their capabilities (I am a professional engineer and
like to think my questions weren't all *that* simple or naive) and then he
even steered me towards the "old" Pro-51 with some innocuous statement
like "Of course, I can't tell you whether this one can be made to receive
cellular". I could practically hear the "wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no
more". I'm quite pleased with my purchase and I'm glad that I received
the help that I did.

Anyhow, my point is that they're all different and to flame on about what
a lousy chain it is and how it doesn't deserve to be patronized is
ridiculous. Myself, I'll shop where I feel respected, where I feel like
I'm getting a good deal and where I'm pretty sure I'll find what I'm
looking for. And if the saleman's an asshole I'll go find somewhere
else. God knows, Radio Shacks are about as common as 7-11's -- it's not
much of a drive to just go find another one or another chain/store
altogether.

Of course, I *could* tell about that asshold at a Radio Shack in Texas who
couldn't figure out how to sell me grille cloth for my speakers ;-)

Oh, anyone know of a hardware mod for the Pro-51 so I can actually key in
cellular frequencies? The test-mode memory thing works great but I'd love
to be able to program a limit search in instead.

- John Stephen

Bill Sheehan

Mar 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/18/96

This guy sounds like one of the guys I fired for being incompetent. I
got trained, and I had a nice house in the burbs on what I made, but I
you see I COULD CUT IT!!!! I left, but it was because I wanted to do
something different. Tnady had inadvertantly TRAINED me for my new
career. The average age of the buyers in FW is about 36, most don't
even know what a New Yorker is, but hey they promote from within, and
only those guys WHO CAN CUT IT!!

duf...@gnn.com

Mar 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/19/96

In article <314942...@Sisna.Com> Guba! wrote:
>First, I'll thank you for having the courtesy to refer to "my
kind" as
>"clerks" rather than "droids" or some other derogatory term. It
seems to
>be quite an enjoyable, knee-slappin' practice for you folk.
>
>Second, I'll note that your twenty plus years as a salesperson
seems to
>have left you quite a bitter man.
On the contrary, I have made a LOT of money am very happy!

Odd, considering that from the
>hubristic tone of your message you should doubtlessly be one of
the
>happiest men alive! Surely! After all, your message suggests not
only
>your absolute supremacy within your field, but also the
indispensability
>and magnificence of your company, and of you, sir, in particular.

Absolutely, consistantly ranked at the top in sales performance of
major companies in the information systems field. Why, because I
listen to the customer and treat them honestly and ethically.
Something RS needs to teach to its clerks.

>Now that I've got those two out of the way, let me, a Radio Shack
>Manager, say a few things about Radio Shack:
>
>Radio Shack is a company; a really big one. Its parent company,
Tandy
>Corporation, exists for two reasons--to make money, and to have
some
>sort of positive impact on the communities in which it conducts
>business. To Tandy's credit, it does an enviably fabulous job at
both.

I disagree. Yes a corporation HAS to make money. But companies
that focus on the bottom line and not on the customer never fully
produce up to their capabilities. Look at some very successful
companies. They usually have a mission statement. The most
successful companies mission statements start out talking about the
customer, THEN further down you'll see statements about stockholder
value and profitability. The latter cannot occur unless you serve
the needs of your customer.

To your other point, RS has very little involvement in communities.
They turn over their people too often and executive management is
just not interested.

>Now that bad part.... When a company is as large as Tandy, it's
>sometimes hard to keep tabs on all 30,000+ employees. No excuse, I
>understand, but still a big number, huh? Anyway, (brace
yourselves)
>sometimes really really really big companies don't do everything
>perfectly. (That's a secret now, don't go telling everyone.) This
can

It is one thing not to do everything perfect all the time. It is
another thing when you do not TRY to improve your practices. This
is where I and others have a problem with RS.

>result in certain practices that offend certain persons. Bad...
Yeah, I
>know, but heck, we're human, we learn, we evolve, it just takes a
while
>sometimes, especially when you're huge, and set in your ways. Hey
that
>reminds me, the point of this whole thing.....

Well if you know they offend people why do you still do it? People
were pissed off about the name and address thing 20 years ago and
management knew it. But the hell with the customer, right?

>Humanity. Has it ever occurred to you that even large, disdainful
>organizations are made up of individual people? Silly thought, I
know,
>but bear with me for a moment. These people, for whatever reason,
have
>set before them by their employer (company) certain tasks which
they
>must perform whether they agree or disagree. Good employees do
what
>they're told.

Sounds like the defense that the Nazi war criminals used during the
trials. "We were only following orders!" Good employees think and
work outside the box.

>Now I know, I know, you're saying "If the stupid, lazy bastards
just got
>an education or learned a trade they would have to have that job"
et
>cetera... I'll admit, we have some stupid lazy bastards working
for us.
>These, I suspect, are the people whom you find most irritating. I
agree.
>That's why we try not to employ people like that for too long.
They
>irritate me too. The other kind of people we have working for us
have a
>desire to be a part of Corporate America. They want to move into
>management and beyond within one of America's most succesful and
revered
>retailers. They strive to succeed, personally, and professionally
which
>usually requires that they abide by the prescripts of their
company.

>"Why don't they go work for a real company" you might say? We're
quite
>real, I assure you. Our average manager earns $35k annually, our
good
>managers earn $50-$75K, and our best managers and district
managers earn
>over $100k. All levels or management, btw, are promoted from
within,

There is the problem, unless you pay people a decent income, you
are not going to get good people. For $35k a year, a manager
usually works over 60 hours a week. The "good" managers are few
and far between. As far a promotion from within, that is why they
continue to keep the same anti-consumer practices in place. There
is never any new blood or fresh ideas from the outside.

>meaning, we all started as salespeople.
>
>Bottom line, please don't dehumanize Radio Shack personnel, even
if the
>individual attempting to assist you offers little assistance. Even
our
>rookie employees and ignorant employees still deserve to be
treated like
>human beings. They have families, and feelings, and egos probably
not
>very much unlike yourselves. If you have a problem with a
particular

Tell you what, when RS stops dehumanizing its customers, then the
customers will stop dehumanizing the RS employees. You reap what
you sow.

>individual or encounter tell the Manager, the District Mananger,
the
>Regional Manager, Divisional Vice President, Executive
Vice-President,
>President, CEO, or your local clergy. But try to keep separate the

>incident from the person (unless he/she called you ugly, or
something
>personal like that.) If your problem is greater than a particular
(ie -
>the whole Tandy experience) save yourself and the employee the
stress
>and just avoid potentially confrontational situations. In other
words,
>shop elsewhere.

Now there's a damn good idea.....shop elsewhere! That was one of
the most important statements you ever could have made.

>Thank you for your attention.
>
>Hugs and Kisses. - Guba!

Thanks but no thanks.

David A. Gray PhD

Mar 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/19/96
In article <31279A...@sprynet.com>, pbas...@sprynet.com says...

>Dave O'Neal wrote:
> --- snip ---
> Since I travel the Northeast for work, I stop in R/S to kill time
>and to pick up 5 & Dime Items, such as solder and Caps. To check out
>how much the sales person knows I ask them a simple question.
> What does the RG stand for in the Coax, (ie RG-59, RG-6 and so
>on). You would be amazed the answers I get. But the most popular one is
>that since Radio Shack sells only the best it stands for Really Good (the
>best coax around). I have to hold back my laughter.
> For those who are interested RG stands for Radio Guide, that was
>the term given to the wire before it was called Coax Cable.

Radio Guide = Radio Frequency, (RF) Wave Guide. = Coaxial Cable = etc. etc.

Gee I wonder if I could get a job working for Shady-O-Rack!?

Js1aql

Mar 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/19/96
What is in a name? When I hear "Radio Shack", it implies that there
should be someone employed there who knows something about both consumer
electronics and the electronics hobby. The term radio shack, I believe
originated with amatuer radio operators and referred to an area where they
had their equipment set up. If a corporation names itself after something
as technical as a Ham operators *nest* so to speak, then they had better
know something about what they are doing.

duf...@gnn.com

Mar 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/19/96

In article <4ikmdl$9...@antares.en.com> Bill Sheehan wrote:
>This guy sounds like one of the guys I fired for being
incompetent. I
>got trained, and I had a nice house in the burbs on what I made,
but I
>you see I COULD CUT IT!!!! I left, but it was because I wanted to
do
>something different. Tnady had inadvertantly TRAINED me for my new
>career. The average age of the buyers in FW is about 36, most
don't
>even know what a New Yorker is, but hey they promote from within,
and
>only those guys WHO CAN CUT IT!!

Folks, this is a typical RS employee response to anybody that used
to work at RS and then tells how poorly the internal operation is
run. Don't believe it. I quit RS after 5 year of employment with
them because there is no real money in working there. It was just
a part time job during school. However, I used to have to manage
stores on a periodic basis during the summer months because they
fired people right and left. There people were not all
incompetent. I saw people that were salespeople for a month, then
made managers and then fired all within a six month period. Who's
fault is this "failure?" RS of course.

They way they calculate inventory is almost a for sure loss for the
manager, both financially and from a "career" standpoint. They way
they structure commissions and management compensation is almost
like taking money out of the employees pocket. This guy that is
pontificating about those that can't cut it will also be gone from
RS is due time. We'll hear a different story then.

Brian E. Davis

Mar 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/19/96

Let m erespond to the above:

a. I wasn't fired, I resigned to earn a better living.

b. I said Management. Do you consider buyers management?

c. RS does promote from within, unfortunately the way they structure
the company, they have little to draw from. I stuck it out until I
was in management, and did quite well with them, just not as well as I
wanted to do.

d. For every happy employee, there are many former employees like
me.... and many more unhappy customers.

Arthur Pharter

Mar 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/20/96

>First, I'll thank you for having the courtesy to refer to "my kind" as
>"clerks" rather than "droids" or some other derogatory term. It seems to
>be quite an enjoyable, knee-slappin' practice for you folk.

Radio Shack "sales associates" are called "droids" cause of the programming
that the company attempts to push into their personnel. The biggest bitch "us
folk" have is the bullshit advertisments claiming that answers are available at
Radio Shack. The ads certainly push the idea that while you can buy electronic
stuff at Sears or in fact anywhere, the reason you would want to shop at the
Shaft is "cause we have the answers"... Just what the hell kind of questions
are your staff prepared to offer? I take it you have read some of the postings
in this group and it seems that you feel the problem is with a very small
portion of RS staff. I think it is much more rare to find a "droid" who
actually knows the details of the products he is selling.

>Second, I'll note that your twenty plus years as a salesperson seems to

>have left you quite a bitter man. Odd, considering that from the

>hubristic tone of your message you should doubtlessly be one of the
>happiest men alive! Surely! After all, your message suggests not only
>your absolute supremacy within your field, but also the indispensability
>and magnificence of your company, and of you, sir, in particular.

Well.. here is the kettle calling the pot black... You, sir, are a RS store
manager.. big deal...

>Radio Shack is a company; a really big one. Its parent company, Tandy
>Corporation, exists for two reasons--to make money, and to have some
>sort of positive impact on the communities in which it conducts
>business.

Are you for real? Do you really think that Tandy Corp exists to have some sort
of positive impact on the communities in which it conducts business??? Why
don't you see to it that Tandy implements a "Scanners For The Homeless"
program? Perhaps "TV's for welfare mothers"? Tandy Corp exists for your
reason number 1 and number 1 ONLY !!!

>To Tandy's credit, it does an enviably fabulous job at both.

>Now that bad part.... When a company is as large as Tandy, it's
>sometimes hard to keep tabs on all 30,000+ employees. No excuse, I
>understand, but still a big number, huh? Anyway, (brace yourselves)
>sometimes really really really big companies don't do everything

Again I call BULL SHIT !!! Tandy may be big... but each store has a store
manager and if he can't keep track of the one or two employees that work for
him, then I guess he is the biggest droid of all....

>result in certain practices that offend certain persons. Bad... Yeah, I
>know, but heck, we're human, we learn, we evolve, it just takes a while
>sometimes, especially when you're huge, and set in your ways. Hey that
>reminds me, the point of this whole thing.....

Just what "certain practices" are you talking about? Would you admit that if
you paid a decent wage you would get a higher class of sales droid???

>Humanity. Has it ever occurred to you that even large, disdainful
>organizations are made up of individual people? Silly thought, I know,
>but bear with me for a moment. These people, for whatever reason, have
>set before them by their employer (company) certain tasks which they
>must perform whether they agree or disagree. Good employees do what
>they're told.

THIS IS HOW DROIDS ARE BUILT ....

>Now I know, I know, you're saying "If the stupid, lazy bastards just got
>an education or learned a trade they would have to have that job" et
>cetera... I'll admit, we have some stupid lazy bastards working for us.

Oh good.. is being a stupid lazy bastard a requirement or are you willing to
provide training....?

>That's why we try not to employ people like that for too long. They
>irritate me too. The other kind of people we have working for us have a
>desire to be a part of Corporate America. They want to move into
>management and beyond within one of America's most succesful and revered
>retailers. They strive to succeed, personally, and professionally which
>usually requires that they abide by the prescripts of their company.

Oh good.. know we know where Radio Scat managers come from... stupid lazy
bastards that have a desire to be a part of corporate America...

>"Why don't they go work for a real company" you might say? We're quite
>real, I assure you. Our average manager earns $35k annually, our good
>managers earn $50-$75K, and our best managers and district managers earn
>over $100k. All levels or management, btw, are promoted from within,

>meaning, we all started as salespeople.

How come you don't give droid salaries? How many hours a week do you put in
for your 35K? I think you are exploited by your district manager and you in
turn exploit your sales droids... How many times have you screwed your droids
out of commission by asking them to put up stock or sweep the floors while
their sales per hour ratio drop below commission range?

>Bottom line, please don't dehumanize Radio Shack personnel, even if the
>individual attempting to assist you offers little assistance. Even our
>rookie employees and ignorant employees still deserve to be treated like
>human beings. They have families, and feelings, and egos probably not
>very much unlike yourselves.

If these people had a lick of ego they would find honest work at a McDonalds a
company that REALLY makes a positive influence on the community..

>If you have a problem with a particular

>individual or encounter tell the Manager, the District Mananger, the
>Regional Manager, Divisional Vice President, Executive Vice-President,
>President, CEO, or your local clergy. But try to keep separate the
>incident from the person (unless he/she called you ugly, or something
>personal like that.) If your problem is greater than a particular (ie -
>the whole Tandy experience) save yourself and the employee the stress
>and just avoid potentially confrontational situations. In other words,
>shop elsewhere.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ --- Now here is a brilliant statement... I knew there was a
way to keep Tandy from plumb pissing you off... And damn, we have yet to
discuss the "Can I have your phone number?", when all you want to do is get the
hell out of the store...

>Hugs and Kisses. - Guba!

Oh great... a Fag Radio Shack Manager....

A. Pharter
Radio Shack Secret Shopper

Don Bruder

Mar 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/20/96
In article <0da_960...@thekat.esnet.com>, bud.j...@thekat.esnet.com
(Bud Jamison) wrote:

:AP> Would you please post the email address for Radio Shack HQ? I would love
:
:I believe it's 1 Tandy Way, Fort Worth, Texas, but any store can tell you.

Hmmm... Musta been an update to RFC-822 (The document that's the standard
for all internet E-mail address formatting) while I wasn't looking. <grin>

+----------------------+ \__ Roadkill on the information superhighway...
|Don Bruder | | \ AUGH! +-----------------------------+
|dbr...@surfsouth.com | |_@_\____& / | I will choose a path |
|I eat my roadkill...__|_|____|__@| @ | that's clear: I will choose |
+/.\/.\-----------+ /.\/.\=(__)/.\] \|/ + Free-will -- Rush |
_\_/\_/_____________\_/\_/_____\_/__/_\__ +-----------------------------+

Jim Wayda

Mar 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/20/96
Arthur Pharter really cut the cheese this time... heheheheheheheheh.
Why not post using your real identity?

Jim Wayda
Captain, Scanner Price Police
(Bookum Danno, the charge is price gouging)

In article <4int1r$g...@krel.iea.com>, pha...@lynkers.com (Arthur Pharter)
wrote:

--- Snip --- Snip ---Snip

Arthur Pharter

Mar 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/20/96

>I guess I have to keep waiting also. On February 18 I sent the following
>email to Radio Shack HQ in Texas:

======================

Would you please post the email address for Radio Shack HQ? I would love to
forward a few of these choice Radio Shack postings..

I have never seen such an address and would wonder if it really gets any
attention....

Art

Bill Funk

Mar 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/20/96
duf...@gnn.com () wrote:

>In article <4ikmdl$9...@antares.en.com> Bill Sheehan wrote:
>>This guy sounds like one of the guys I fired for being
>incompetent. I
>>got trained, and I had a nice house in the burbs on what I made,
>but I
>>you see I COULD CUT IT!!!! I left, but it was because I wanted to
>do
>>something different. Tnady had inadvertantly TRAINED me for my new
>>career. The average age of the buyers in FW is about 36, most
>don't
>>even know what a New Yorker is, but hey they promote from within,
>and
>>only those guys WHO CAN CUT IT!!
>>

>Folks, this is a typical RS employee response to anybody that used
>to work at RS and then tells how poorly the internal operation is
>run. Don't believe it. I quit RS after 5 year of employment with
>them because there is no real money in working there. It was just
>a part time job during school. However, I used to have to manage
>stores on a periodic basis during the summer months because they
>fired people right and left. There people were not all
>incompetent. I saw people that were salespeople for a month, then
>made managers and then fired all within a six month period. Who's
>fault is this "failure?" RS of course.

Folks, this is a typical blowhard.
He can run Tandy better than the present management can; just ask him.
He knows all there is to know about merchandising. Just ask him.
I'll bet that he is the CEO of a Fortune 100 company, he's that good.
Why, it's obvious that TAndy's being run into the ground, and this guy is
their cure.
After all, Tandy's going broke, and their stores have no customers in
them.
Heck, he's so much in demand that he can't even put his full name here,
for fear that those damn headhunters will be after him, again.
Yes, folks, let's just pray that Duffy here will lower himself to pull
Tandy from the brink of bankruptcy, and teach it community relations at
the same time.
Go for it, Duffy, please!
--
Bill Funk - skyp...@starlink.com