***MESSENGER AMPS***(PROS AND CONS)***

Toll Free

Feb 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/25/98

I am biased, as I own one, but Messenger are about the best crafted amps on
the market. They have been around longer than onyone in the business, and
they are clean, if that's how you choose to run them. Incidentally, I run a
texas star into my Messenger. I guess I bit both bullets.

Toll Free

outlaw-28

Feb 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/26/98

PLEASE POST WHAT YOU MIGHT LIKE OR DISLIKE ABOUT MESSENGER AMPS...i am
a die hard texas star fan....since they are gone, i would like to hear
from this news group what you might like or dislike about
messenger..........lets rock

Bill Eitner

Feb 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/26/98

Pros: Good reputation and history. They're stable under
most any reasonable circumstance. They're biased into
linearity. That means, when driven reasonably, the amount
of distortion they add is minimal. They're rugged and
reliable.

Cons: They're plain looking and overpriced. Consistency.
In other words, some are better than others. They also
suffer from the same problem almost all other CB amps do:
no thermal (overtemperature) protection. Thermally conecting
the bias diode to the heatsink helps a little (which Messenger
does do), but a thermal switch (my personal favorite) or an
efficient forced air cooling system (ala Pirate et al.) are
the real solutions.

Hope this helps.
\ /
___ | ___
/ | \
-=[Bill Eitner]=- III
III
III
_________III_________

nq9220700-Ostrowski

Feb 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/26/98

outlaw-28 wrote:

> PLEASE POST WHAT YOU MIGHT LIKE OR DISLIKE ABOUT MESSENGER AMPS...i am
> a die hard texas star fan....since they are gone, i would like to hear
> from this news group what you might like or dislike about
> messenger..........lets rock
-------------------------

Outlaw,

Toll-Free is not going to like this, but I personally never did like
the messenger amps. with the single exception being the M4-V.

I don't normally buy and stock amps, but I liked the M4-V so much I
bought one and just put it in a cabinet so that I would have one if
Messenger ever went under.

Warlok671

Feb 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/27/98

> Toll-Free is not going to like this, but I personally never did like
>the messenger amps. with the single exception being the M4-V.
>
> I don't normally buy and stock amps, but I liked the M4-V so much I
>bought one and just put it in a cabinet so that I would have one if
>Messenger ever went under.

I agree 100%. The 4V (IMO) is the only really decent amp from messenger... a
good 550+ rms. Just add a fan to both top and bottom!!!
Wm.

Toll Free

Feb 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/27/98

Well, one of these days, Dennis, you will see the light!!! ;-) Seriously,
everyone can have a favorite... Mine just happens to be Messenger. Oh
Well.

Toll Free

nq9220700-Ostrowski

Feb 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/27/98
-------------------------------

Good Point Warlok!

I did get it with the fan kit!

nq9220700-Ostrowski

Feb 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/27/98
------------------------

Toll Free,

A good friend of mine was the Messenger distributor here in Chicago.
As a matter of fact H&Y Supply had stuff drop-shipped thru him a few
times to 'hide the paper trail'. Ask you friend who used to work there
about Mark III Communications on the South Side of Chicago....

So I have had plenty of experience with Messengers!

Toll Free

Feb 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/27/98

Are you the Landshark in Florida?

Toll Free

Toll Free

Feb 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/27/98

Yes, I do believe that you must have gotten a bad one. Although, I do buy
any Messenger in good condition. Interested parties reply via E-Mail.

Toll Free

!lnd...@ix.netcom.com

Feb 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/28/98

nq9220700-Ostrowski wrote:

I too preferred the M4V. I also like the DX667,but I went with the Messenger
1200. I really like it's size to power ratio (meaning it's small size for good
power)
also like the remote setup too. I looked at the DX1200 and DX1600 and thought
they were way to long to fit in the cab of my truck. So I went with the Messenger
1200 and been happy ever since.

The 666 Landshark

RAYCF

Feb 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/28/98

I bought a messenger 250 about 4 years ago.It works great to this day never a
problem.!1 year ago I purchased a 4v after they went to the 1446 pills.It never
did work right.I took the cover off and several components werent even
soldered!I had a known amp builder repair it and it keyed about 800 watts but I
had to turn the mike so low there wasnt much punch left.I may have bought a bad
one.My sweet sixteen is 5 years old and works like new,as does my pirate.The 4
v fit perfect in the console portion of my truck,oh well.

PAINKI6669

Feb 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/28/98

messenger 4 pill does only 500 bummer
hahaha
thats sucks

i do 1400 on a bird
no wonder when they roll the watergate ..im like dam
did that guy key up? hehehe
"owell--give me my dam money"
"sombodys got to lose" hehehe
and blue gill there running ..armadillo they too ..dave there ok
texas star dont even put that shit in my war wagon..there a joke
ant nothing like blackstone..eachone is hand made by only him
and he ant taking orders..hahaha owell .those blackstone made girls
are mean.and the got big teeth hehehe

::waving::
from all the good time gang from the boyou country
şżş) PäěŃK죣ęR

nq9220700-Ostrowski

Mar 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/3/98

Ray,

Remove the SD1446's and put the MRF455's back in and keep your drive
watts down with a lot of swing going in. It won't ever outperform the
Sweet 16 but you like it a lot more!

RAYCF

Mar 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/4/98

I eventually sold it to to partially finance a pirate.Ive heard good things
about the 4v but I guess I really did get a lemonAre the 1446's inferior to the
455 or 454?

Bill Eitner

Mar 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/4/98

I feel that just pulling the carrier (dead-key) output down
while keeping the peak (swing) high is all that's necessary.
I've found the 1446 to be a suitable "plug-in" replacement
for the 455. In other words, no other circuit modifications
are necessary, and you net a 20% increase in output.

nq9220700-Ostrowski

Mar 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/4/98

Bill Eitner wrote:

> I feel that just pulling the carrier (dead-key) output down
> while keeping the peak (swing) high is all that's necessary.
> I've found the 1446 to be a suitable "plug-in" replacement
> for the 455. In other words, no other circuit modifications
> are necessary, and you net a 20% increase in output.
>--------------------------------

Bill,

All of that is true, but from the symptoms described it sounded like he
had too much overall gain. That is a 2-stage amp and the input and
output are separated by 1/8 inch of circuit board at the relay. If the
gain gets too high it wants to 'regenerate' or 'oscillate'. The added
gain of the 1446's may have been to high for the physical configuration
of the amp.

Bill Eitner

Mar 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/5/98

nq9220700-Ostrowski wrote:

> Bill Eitner wrote:
>
> > I feel that just pulling the carrier (dead-key) output down
> > while keeping the peak (swing) high is all that's necessary.
> > I've found the 1446 to be a suitable "plug-in" replacement
> > for the 455. In other words, no other circuit modifications
> > are necessary--and you net a 20% increase in output.

> >--------------------------------
>
> Bill,
>
> All of that is true, but from the symptoms described it sounded like he
> had too much overall gain. That is a 2-stage amp and the input and
> output are separated by 1/8 inch of circuit board at the relay. If the
> gain gets too high it wants to 'regenerate' or 'oscillate'. The added
> gain of the 1446's may have been to high for the physical configuration
> of the amp.

What makes you think the amp was oscillating? Oscillation
creates actual damage, whereas overdrive creates a specific
symptom. There is nothing in the original post to indicate
that the amp was oscillating. I feel you're jumping to an
unjustified conclusion here.

Again, simply reducing the radio's dead-key output would
solve the problem in my opinion.

nq9220700-Ostrowski

Mar 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/5/98

Bill Eitner wrote:

> What makes you think the amp was oscillating?

Just prior experience with Messengers. An I said regenerating as a
possible choice. That is at the verge of oscillation but not quite
there. When the audio starts to sound kind of tinny and hollow.

> Oscillation
> creates actual damage

Not all the time.

> , whereas overdrive creates a specific
> symptom.

Yep. Burned up input resistors and squarewave outputs....

> There is nothing in the original post to indicate
> that the amp was oscillating.

I thought he said he put a lot less carrier in and the dead key was
still way to high..... I would say that's too much input or too high of
gain in the amp. I said one of the symptoms of too much gain could be
regeneration or oscillation.

> I feel you're jumping to an
> unjustified conclusion here.

That's quite possible. It sure wouldn't be the first time!

> Again, simply reducing the radio's dead-key output would
> solve the problem in my opinion.

This could be where I went wrong. I thought he said he tried that.

Thanks Bill,

TOOFINE79

Mar 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/7/98

Messenger pros and cons. Pros, it adds power to your setup for talking skip.
Cons, it ain't a texas star.

I know what ya'll mean, though, because I have a fan that starts oscillating
when it gets hot( in the house that is)

Bill Eitner

Mar 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/7/98

You're wrong. Your fan begins *rotating* when it gets hot.
A fan that oscillates wouldn't do you any good.

TOOFINE79

Mar 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/7/98

Well excuse me mister, but this fan was called an oscillating fan on the box.

Bill Eitner

Mar 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/7/98

TOOFINE79 wrote:

> Well excuse me mister, but this fan was called an oscillating fan on the box.

Sorry, my mistake. You mean a fan that sweeps from one side
to the other and back again.

73

PAINKI6669

Mar 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/8/98

another dumbass remark from toofine79 hahaha
....of course toofine79 will reply with his anal retentive ideas

şżş) PäěŃK죣ęR
::waving::
from all the good time gang from the bayou country
şżş) §§ PäěŃK죣ęR §§

dont bump it down list :
#1 toofine79
#2 RDavis

Dino

Mar 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/14/98

This is sure a hard post to read! What happened to basic ENGLISH?

In article <19980228110...@ladder03.news.aol.com>,
paink...@aol.com says...

>messenger 4 pill does only 500 bummer
>hahaha
>thats sucks
>
>i do 1400 on a bird
>no wonder when they roll the watergate ..im like dam
>did that guy key up? hehehe
>"owell--give me my dam money"
>"sombodys got to lose" hehehe
>and blue gill there running ..armadillo they too ..dave there ok
>texas star dont even put that shit in my war wagon..there a joke
>ant nothing like blackstone..eachone is hand made by only him
>and he ant taking orders..hahaha owell .those blackstone made girls
>are mean.and the got big teeth hehehe
>

>::waving::
>from all the good time gang from the boyou country
>şżş) PäěŃK죣ęR

outlaw-28

Mar 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/15/98

thanks for the postings outlaw-28

screwd...@gmail.com

Jun 25, 2014, 9:21:48 AM6/25/14
On Wednesday, February 25, 1998 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, Toll Free wrote:
> I am biased, as I own one, but Messenger are about the best crafted amps on
> the market. They have been around longer than onyone in the business, and
> they are clean, if that's how you choose to run them. Incidentally, I run a
> texas star into my Messenger. I guess I bit both bullets.
>

> Toll Free

I've had just about every major or commonly known brand amp and Messenger has been the best over all. I currently have a Messenger 350, 4V and a Messenger 600 with remote. All were bought new and I have never been repaired.
Message has been deleted

thehouse...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2014, 1:22:40 PM8/22/14

rpero...@gmail.com

Feb 27, 2016, 3:39:22 PM2/27/16
Hi can someone tell me what recommended watt input should be for a Messenger M4V with 1 455 driving 8 455's?

salm...@live.com

Sep 4, 2017, 1:25:17 PM9/4/17
the best of the best, more than the texasstar 1200, 1600 because the band range that can be used is from 7 MHz to 30 MHz a very important point.

salm...@live.com

Sep 4, 2017, 1:27:04 PM9/4/17
No more than 15w.

lfranc...@gmail.com

May 24, 2018, 11:38:00 AM5/24/18
I have a messenger amp it was my brothers and i found it in his truck when he passed. I have no clue on the demand for this or any info but if anyone can fill me in on some it would be greatfully appreciated I'm just looking to sell it.
Thanks

cb25...@gmail.com

Jun 10, 2018, 6:46:14 AM6/10/18
I have the 500.does not transmit.all else works.still had seals on it.hated to open it but had to look.didnt see anything obvious....any ideas?