IRLP Contest Update

Ashley VK3HAG

Mar 22, 2005, 8:56:50 PM3/22/05
1st International IRLP Contest 2005

Participating Nodes (Ed. 56) 22/3/2005
1020 Chemainus BC Canada
1080 Kamloops BC Canada
1150 Summerland BC Canada
1230 Calgary AB Canada
1270 Lethbridge AB Canada
1375 Okanagan Falls
1410 Kamloops BC Canada
1547 Penticton BC Canada
1750 Flin Flon MB Canada

2080 Greenwood NS Canada
2120 Peterborough ON Canada
2160 Thornhill ON Canada
2410 Kitchener ON Canada

3018 Houston TX USA
3033 Mountain Home AR USA

3089 Sisters OR USA
3180 Palm Springs CA USA
3197 Kailua-Oahu HI USA
3203 Valdez AK USA

3337 Columbus TX USA
3374 Shaghai China (Subject to operating times single node)
3535 Nebraska NE USA
3608 Colby KS USA
3668 North Shore, Oahu HI USA
3672 GUAM GU USA
3720 Waikiki, Oahu HI USA
3780 Half Moon Bay CA USA
3820 Phoenix AZ USA
3822 Wasilla AK USA
3892 Tucson AZ USA
3893 Tucson AZ USA

4128 Bartow FL USA WC4PEM VHF
4156 Bartow FL USA WC4PEM UHF
4250 Rochester NY USA
4550 Atlanta GA USA
4597 Tiffin OHIO USA
4654 Clearfield UT USA
4850 Aurora IL USA

?4865 Portsmouth VA USA kg4zxk.com
& THE CHESAPEAKE AMATEUR RADIO SERVICE

5130 Maltby SY England
5150 Sheffield SY England
5196 Edinburgh Scotland
5200 Rotherham SY England
5350 Melton Mowbray LE England
5400 Manchester CHESHIRE England
5450 Manchester CHESHIRE England
5474 Sandres Norway
5515 Nuremberg Bayern Germany
5590 Milwaukee WI USA
5635 Leeds WYORK England
5670 Great Falls MT USA
5682 Galway GALWAY Ireland
5717 Greenfield LANCS England
5883 Waterford City WATERFORD Ireland
5994 Barnsley SYORK England
5150 Sheffield SY England

6260 Wagga Wagga NSW Australia
6300 Melbourne Vic Australia
6350 Kangaroo Ground Vic Australia
6390 Melbourne Vic Australia

?6391 Arthurs Seat Vic Australia Bass Amateur Radio IRLP Group

6392 IRLP Conference USA
Operating during conference when time allows. Days of operating are the
16th and 17th April by
VK3JED - Tony

?6405 Gold Coast Qld Australia Sponsor of Trophy
VK4JAA Terry

6527 Coffs Harbour NSW Australia
6549 Waikato VHF Group New Zealand
6600 Karratha WA Australia Subject to operating hours
6610 Albany WA Australia
6620 Collie WA Australia
6700 Mt Barrow North East TAS Australia
6793 Hastings New Zealand
6875 Millicent SA Australia
6887 Seoul Republic of South Korea single node
6943 Feilding MANAWATU New Zealand

7170 Pomona CA USA
7270 South Hadley MA USA
7430 Lakeside MT USA
7500 Valsayn TRINIDAD Trinidad and Tobago
7710 Cocoa FL USA
7773 Aguascalientes AGUAS Mexico
7820 Queens/New York City NY USA
8300 Durban KZ Natal South Africa
8467 White River MPUMALANGA South Africa
8600 Eindohoven Netherlands
8620 Eindohoven Netherlands
8900 Madras TN India single node
8904 Aguascalientes AGUAS Mexico

Participating Reflector List

9050 North East Reflector please refrain from using sub-channels
9058 North East Reflector please refrain from using sub-channels
9075 Alaska Reflector please refrain from using sub channels
9213 Raleigh Reflector
9250 Western Reflector Please refrain from using sub-channels
9500 Sydney Reflector NSW Australia
9870 Denver Reflector Please refrain from using sub-channels

THE CONTEST IS FOR IRLP MODE ONLY

RULES:

The contest will be held starting MARCH 18 at 0001 GMT and ending APRIL 17
2359 GMT

POINTS WILL BE AWARDED AS FOLLOWS-

1. 1 point for a contact with someone not in the contest in your own
country
2. 2 points for a contact with someone in the contest in your own country
3. 2 points for a contact with someone in another country who is not in the
contest
4. 3 points for contact with someone in the contest in another country
5. 5 points for contact with single node countries and special event
stations such as the International Space Station etc

6. The following information must be included in your log
NAME
QTH
NODE #
CONTACT NUMBER-I.E.- You are number 001

Any contacts without this information will be counted as a single point
contact.

7. At present the logging program that will be used will be DXKEEPER, which
is available free, on line.
8. For those without computers, paper logs will be sent to BRUCE DEHN
306 CRIPPLE CREEK CT.
V.A. BEACH, V.A. USA
Logs should be sent in within 30 days of the end of the contest.

9. No duplicates allowed. one contact per callsign.
10. All nodes and reflectors may be used as long as the node/reflectors
allow. persons who abuse this privilege will be disallowed from the prizes.
11. Only voice communications allowed. (Maybe next year we will allow other
modes)
12. Electronic logs are to be emailed to apost...@netscape.net for
disposition.
(keep a copy of your logs for your own records)
13 Please include as much information as possible in your logs if you want
an accurate count. again, please note with each entry, what you think the
point count should be for that contact.
14. All amateur radio rules and regulations apply especially any involved
with nodes/reflectors.

TRY AND KEEP TO THE RULES AND DON'T ABUSE THE NODES/REFLECTORS.
HAVE FUN AND HELP PROMOTE IRLP 'KEEPING THE RADIO IN AMATEUR RADIO' AS A
VIABLE METHOD OF COMMUNICATIONS

--
VK3HAG

I'm up to contact #30, others have reached the 100+ mark

blackbox

Mar 23, 2005, 1:58:42 AM3/23/05
As I Australian living in the UK, I personally can't understand the
"Dial-A-Contest" principle, so Ashley it's not just "whinging poms" that
can't understand the need to have this pointless contests on the Internet.

>"It isn't the good old days of the colonies when people actually gave a
>rats what pommies had to say"

Didn't Australia just vote to keep the monarchy? I believe we did and voted
to continue to be ruled by the UK.

I personally voted against, but the majority voted to continue being ruled
by the UK, so in a way Ashley our Country agreed to "give a rats" what the
UK poms say"

Sorry just had to throw that in the lighten the mood :)

BB

blackbox

Mar 23, 2005, 2:00:25 AM3/23/05
/BB curses at that dam spell checker ;)

G-S

Mar 23, 2005, 3:46:31 AM3/23/05
blackbox wrote:

> Didn't Australia just vote to keep the monarchy? I believe we did and
> voted to continue to be ruled by the UK.

I didn't vote for the system to be altered because they didn't offer a
directly elected option, and if the claytons republic option had gotten
through then no second chance would have been available.

This way the republic is still on the agenda and there is likely to be
another referendum in the medium term (say the next 20 years), with a good
chance it'll include a directly elected president (or Judge Advocate
General) or whatever you want to call the re-named directly elected
replacement for the govenor general.

G-S VK3DMN

Kate

Mar 23, 2005, 4:01:12 PM3/23/05

"blackbox" <blac...@limited.com> wrote in message

> /BB curses at that dam spell checker ;)

<pedant>
Damn
</pedant>

Kate vk4xyl :-)

ZZZPK

Mar 25, 2005, 9:37:49 AM3/25/05
"Ashley VK3HAG" <vk3...@nerg.asn.au> wrote:

: 1st International IRLP Contest 2005

next...

first international telephone contest.

competitors to ring up as many internation phone numbers as possible.
exchange greetings.

itemised telephone bills to be submitted as log file.

knickebeinjammer

Mar 25, 2005, 10:20:30 AM3/25/05
what is the point of a pc contest ? or am I missing some exciting detail
"ZZZPK " <zzzpk_pkearn_class_a@multi_band_cb_is_here.eircom.es.it.net> wrote
in message news:424421fd...@news.iol.ie...

nana

Mar 25, 2005, 2:17:04 PM3/25/05

"knickebeinjammer" <scamb...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> what is the point of a pc contest ? or am I missing some exciting detail

You are missing a detail. You can't access the systems with a PC. That's
what Dan, Walt and all the others who are ignorant of the facts are confused
about. Perhaps the title "contest" is a misnomer, "QSO Party" might have
been more appropriate.

But anything which gets hams out of the sofa and back on air can't be a bad
thing.

Brad.

Michael Hunger

Mar 26, 2005, 3:55:14 AM3/26/05
Now I understand, alas I am just a very humble simple man from oop north,
maybe the rsgb should set one or two up for some of the new licencees.
preferably on27mhz
"nana" <na...@netscape.net> wrote in message

Micky Taker

Mar 26, 2005, 5:56:18 AM3/26/05
A lot harder on HF though isn't it?

QRZ -- 5&9....QRZ -- 5&9....QRZ -- 5&9....QRZ -- 5&9....QRZ --

Micky

--
Countdown to deregulation - 84 days : 15 hours : 44 minutes

ZZZZPK

Mar 26, 2005, 7:21:26 AM3/26/05
"knickebeinjammer" <scamb...@btinternet.com> wrote:

: what is the point of a pc contest ? or am I missing some exciting detail

yes.... :-)

i'm trying to find it too...
but all i can find in my shack are radios and coax leading to aerials !!

ZZZZPK

Mar 26, 2005, 7:22:57 AM3/26/05
Micky Taker <micky...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

: >
: > itemised telephone bills to be submitted as log file.

: >
: A lot harder on HF though isn't it?
:
: QRZ -- 5&9....QRZ -- 5&9....QRZ -- 5&9....QRZ -- 5&9....QRZ --

yes...

by the way.... hows your poetry going ???

: --

: Countdown to deregulation - 84 days : 15 hours : 44 minutes

shouldnt that be COUNTDOWN TO MULTI_BAND CB ?

Dan/W4NTI

Mar 26, 2005, 10:09:05 AM3/26/05

"Micky Taker" <micky...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

Damn right it is a LOT HARDER on HF.

Dan/W4NTI

ZZZZPK

Mar 26, 2005, 10:20:13 AM3/26/05
"Dan/W4NTI" <w4...@mindNOSPAMATALLspring.com> wrote:

: Damn right it is a LOT HARDER on HF.
:
: Dan/W4NTI

ah Dan...

please dont mention words like HARDER on this newsgroup.

It might scare people into thinking that some sort of effort is required.

Dan/W4NTI

Mar 26, 2005, 12:48:09 PM3/26/05

"ZZZZPK " <zzzpk_pkearn_class_a@multi_band_cb_is_here.eircom.es.it.net>
wrote in message news:42457d30...@news.iol.ie...

Hi Hi...thats a good one....Oh well...back to the CQ WPX Phone fray. Condx
not so hot, ten and 15 good to South America. 20 ain't picked up yet.

Dan/W4NTI

Micky Taker

Mar 26, 2005, 1:06:19 PM3/26/05

Quoted from the CQ WPX Rules - "Maximum power allowed is 1500 watts
total output"

Must be REALLY HARD keeping that PA cool!

Micky

--
Countdown to deregulation - 84 days : 4 hours : 58 minutes

G-S

Mar 26, 2005, 4:28:30 PM3/26/05
Dan/W4NTI wrote:

>> --
>> Countdown to deregulation - 84 days : 15 hours : 44 minutes
>
> Damn right it is a LOT HARDER on HF.

Nah I can talk to the people I talk to on HF just as easy as I talk to them
on VHF :-)

G-S VK3DMN

Martin, VK2UMJ

Mar 26, 2005, 5:07:10 PM3/26/05
"ZZZZPK " <zzzpk_pkearn_class_a@multi_band_cb_is_here.eircom.es.it.net>
wrote in message news:42455395...@news.iol.ie...

Isn't that convienient! That just happens to be exactly what you need to
use IRLP!!!

Kate

Mar 26, 2005, 8:13:56 PM3/26/05

"Martin, VK2UMJ" <vk2...@yahoo.invalid> wrote in message
Of course, you also need a kind Amateur who has a computer and a broadband
internet connection, and who has donated his/her own time, equipment and
knowledge to provide a service for the rest of us.

I have four computers in my shack/living room, one of which is connected to
the HF radio and is currently providing an SSTV repeater on 7033KHz.

Kate vk4xyl

Martin, VK2UMJ

Mar 26, 2005, 10:33:12 PM3/26/05
"Kate" <vk4...@nospam.ft.net.au> wrote in message

> "Martin, VK2UMJ" <vk2...@yahoo.invalid> wrote in message
>> "ZZZZPK " <zzzpk_pkearn_class_a@multi_band_cb_is_here.eircom.es.it.net>
>> wrote in message news:42455395...@news.iol.ie...
>>> "knickebeinjammer" <scamb...@btinternet.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> : what is the point of a pc contest ? or am I missing some exciting
>>> detail
>>>

>>> yes.... :-)
>>>

>>> i'm trying to find it too...
>>> but all i can find in my shack are radios and coax leading to aerials !!
>>>

>> Isn't that convienient! That just happens to be exactly what you need to
>> use IRLP!!!
>>
> Of course, you also need a kind Amateur who has a computer and a broadband
> internet connection, and who has donated his/her own time, equipment and
> knowledge to provide a service for the rest of us.

Well, yeah, but from the users point of view all you need is a radio (on the
appropriate band) and power supply, antenna and co-ax, and something that
generates DTMF tones. The user doesn't need a computer or internet
connection, or even a phone line for that matter!!

> I have four computers in my shack/living room, one of which is connected
> to the HF radio and is currently providing an SSTV repeater on 7033KHz.

Ahh - wasn't the removal of the HF restriction of us limited's the best
thing to happen to us of late!!! Of course, the Walts of th world still
think we shouldn't even be on any band, we didn't have to do CW....

--
Martin, VK2UMJ

To reply by e-mail, replace ".invalid" with ".com.au"

Windows 95 was unable to detect a keyboard.
Press F1 to continue, or F3 to exit.

Jock.

Mar 27, 2005, 11:13:41 AM3/27/05
On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 11:13:56 +1000, "Kate" <vk4...@nospam.ft.net.au> wrote:

>"Martin, VK2UMJ" <vk2...@yahoo.invalid> wrote in message
>> "ZZZZPK " <zzzpk_pkearn_class_a@multi_band_cb_is_here.eircom.es.it.net>
>> wrote in message news:42455395...@news.iol.ie...
>>> "knickebeinjammer" <scamb...@btinternet.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> : what is the point of a pc contest ? or am I missing some exciting
>>> detail
>>>

>>> yes.... :-)
>>>

>>> i'm trying to find it too...
>>> but all i can find in my shack are radios and coax leading to aerials !!
>>>

>> Isn't that convienient! That just happens to be exactly what you need to
>> use IRLP!!!
>>
>Of course, you also need a kind Amateur who has a computer and a broadband
>internet connection, and who has donated his/her own time, equipment and
>knowledge to provide a service for the rest of us.

More fool he.

>I have four computers in my shack/living room, one of which is connected to
>the HF radio and is currently providing an SSTV repeater on 7033KHz.

More fool you.

73 de Jock.
--
"11-Plus Science Exam Answers No 2:
"When you breath you inspire. When you

Kate

Mar 27, 2005, 8:09:47 PM3/27/05

"Jock." <real_cla...@yahoo.fr> wrote in message

Yes, Jock, I guess I am a fool for thinking I could help people like you.
OK, time to turn off the radios, take down the antennas, turn off the
computers, hand in the licence and sit down and vegetate in front of the
telly for the rest of me natural.

Kate

nana

Mar 27, 2005, 8:35:45 PM3/27/05

>> More fool you.
>>
>> 73 de Jock.
>
> Yes, Jock, I guess I am a fool for thinking I could help people like you.
> OK, time to turn off the radios, take down the antennas, turn off the
> computers, hand in the licence and sit down and vegetate in front of the
> telly for the rest of me natural.
>
> Kate

Kate, you don't need to. Jock is doing that already.

Brad.

Ashley VK3HAG

Mar 27, 2005, 9:08:19 PM3/27/05

"Micky Taker" <micky...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> ZZZPK wrote:
> > "Ashley VK3HAG" <vk3...@nerg.asn.au> wrote:
> >
> > : 1st International IRLP Contest 2005
> >

> > next...
> >
> > first international telephone contest.
> >

> > competitors to ring up as many internation phone numbers as possible.
> > exchange greetings.
> >

> > itemised telephone bills to be submitted as log file.
> >
> A lot harder on HF though isn't it?

Of course it's harder on HF, but given I don't yet own any HF gear, except
the 27MHz CB, I can only make contacts using 2/70cm amateur band. Without
IRLP I would have only made contacts woth VK3, VK7 and maybe VK5, with IRLP
I've worked VE, ZL, K, JA, YI, and I look forward to working them on HF in
the future.

Of course, making a DX Contact on CB 35 LSB would be harder than making an
IRLP contact, but as IRLP is the only method I have of accessing hams
outside VK on the air, then I will use it.

Or I could try making contacts with hams via HF, using CB..wonder how many
hams I'll find there?

G-S

Mar 28, 2005, 3:56:31 AM3/28/05
nana wrote:

Technically he's vegitating in front of the computer Brad ;-)

G-S VK3DMN