MFJ-1278 Software

Andrew Lynch

May 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/1/95
While we are on the subject...

Is there any software available to use the advanced modes in the MFJ-1278
TNC? I have heard MFJ has a "multicom" software. Is it any good? Comments
here indicate probably not, but I'd like more info on what and why. Thanks

73 de N8VEM

Andrew Lynch

Walt (N3JPR)

May 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/1/95
to aly...@wpdis01.wpafb.af.mil
Andrew,Stay away from the Multicom software unless you are hell-bent to
waste your money on old obsolite software .I don't know when it was
written but it sure is outdated and hard to use.The stupid copy
protection setup allows you to install it only twice,it has an uninstall
program that will let you uninstall it and then reinstall however it
isn't worth the effort to install once,you get the picture.
The instructions are a hodgepodge of seperate sheets ,the program is also
the same,not 1 smooth operating system but a patchwork of seperate ones.
The only saving grace for MFJ is a program written by KF7XP Gary Johnson.
XPCOM is a top notch piece of software and it's like Prego sauce,"It's
all in there". from logging to rig control. don't take my word for it
give it a try at.
ftp://ftp.indirect.com/pub/software/hamradio/xpware/
You won't be sorry.
73 Walt N3JPR

Todd Little

May 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/3/95

In article <3o3hip$5...@usenet.srv.cis.pitt.edu>, "Walt (N3JPR)" <lrp...@pitt.edu> writes:

|>The only saving grace for MFJ is a program written by KF7XP Gary Johnson.
|>XPCOM is a top notch piece of software and it's like Prego sauce,"It's
|>all in there". from logging to rig control. don't take my word for it
|>give it a try at.
|> ftp://ftp.indirect.com/pub/software/hamradio/xpware/
|>You won't be sorry.

How about something for the graphical modes such as SSTV, WEFAX, etc.?

--
73, Member of AMSAT, ARRL, Palatine RACES, and the Arlington
Todd Communications League. Weather spotter and sponsor of the Hunting

jsi...@algorithms.com

May 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/3/95
wrote
*********************************
*From: aly...@wpdis01.wpafb.af.mil (Andrew Lynch)
*Date: 1 May 95 15:06:18 GMT
*Subject: MFJ-1278 Software
*Newsgroups: rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc
*
*While we are on the subject...
*
*Is there any software available to use the advanced modes in the MFJ-1278
*TNC? I have heard MFJ has a "multicom" software. Is it any good? Comments
*here indicate probably not, but I'd like more info on what and why. Thanks
*
*********************************

Stay away form the MFJ software. Highly recommend LanLink, available on
numerous BBSs and the Internet. Supports all MFJ1278 modes.

John L. Sielke | Ham Radio: n4...@nx2b.ampr.org
jsi...@algorithms.com | N4...@WB2MNF.SNJ.USA.NOAM

... He who dies with the most software WINS!

John - using AutoPGP 2.2á2 !
>> Slipstream Jet - The QWK solution for Usenets #LHOFWFYF

Jim Erb

May 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/5/95
jsi...@algorithms.com wrote:
> wrote
> *********************************
>*From: aly...@wpdis01.wpafb.af.mil (Andrew Lynch)
>*Date: 1 May 95 15:06:18 GMT
>*Subject: MFJ-1278 Software
>*Newsgroups: rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc
>*
>*While we are on the subject...
>*
>*Is there any software available to use the advanced modes in the MFJ-1278
>*TNC? I have heard MFJ has a "multicom" software. Is it any good? Comments
>*here indicate probably not, but I'd like more info on what and why. Thanks
>*
> *********************************
>
>Stay away form the MFJ software. Highly recommend LanLink, available on
>numerous BBSs and the Internet. Supports all MFJ1278 modes.

Not quite. LanLink does not support SSTV or WeFax on the MFJ-1278. I agree
with staying away from the Multicom software. It is not very good especially
in regards to SSTV and WeFax. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be any
other software available that supports these two modes for the MFJ. Someone
please correct me if I'm wrong (and tell me where I can get it).
Jim

Bob Rushby VE3GLA

May 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/6/95
SkyRider is a Windows based shareware program for the MFJ 1278.
Most recent version (1.4B) is on the ARRL BBS (203)666-0578.

73,
Bob VE3GLA

Jack Anderson

May 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/6/95
J> Stay away form the MFJ software. Highly recommend LanLink, available
J> numerous BBSs and the Internet. Supports all MFJ1278 modes.
J>
J> John L. Sielke | Ham Radio: n4...@nx2b.ampr.org
J> jsi...@algorithms.com | N4...@WB2MNF.SNJ.USA.NOAM
J>
J> ... He who dies with the most software WINS!

Last I checked Lanlink (a good while back) it did not do the 1278 fax
and SSTV modes. Do you mean the current version will now handle fax
and SSTV? If it does, I need to revisit it! I found that the MFJ
"Multicom" software leaves much to be desired. The modem isn't bad
though.

Jack
N4ULS

Jim Erb

May 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/12/95
-
Gee Bob. If your going to author shareware and ask a $25 registration
fee you ought to accept e-mail at your Compuserve account clearly
marked Skyrider. Do you have another e-mail account you would prefer?
Jim

Scott Rowin

May 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/12/95
Jim Erb <ka0...@netins.net> writes:

>Bob Rushby VE3GLA <7635...@CompuServe.COM> wrote:
>>SkyRider is a Windows based shareware program for the MFJ 1278.
>>Most recent version (1.4B) is on the ARRL BBS (203)666-0578.
>>
>>73,
>>Bob VE3GLA
>-

Bob, is it in the plans to include SSTV/WEFAX in a near future
version of SkyRider???
With that, you'd be giving MFJ a lot of competition..

--> Scott

Bob Rushby VE3GLA

May 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/18/95
I haven't been able to get enough data from MFJ to add SSTV and
FAX, so I don't have any plans right now to add those modes.

If anyone out there has detailed info regarding the many types
of sstv, I'd give sstv a try. Need to know how the color is
encoded in the different modes, etc etc.

73,
Bob VE3GLA

7635...@compuserve.com

William Posey

May 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/20/95
RE: Re: MFJ-1278 Software
BY: jsi...@algorithms.com to All on Wed May 03 1995 18:09:05

> Stay away form the MFJ software. Highly recommend LanLink, available on

> numerous BBSs and the Internet. Supports all MFJ1278 modes.

Do you know of any other Software for the MFJ-1278 other then Lanlink and
Multicom.

thanks
William