How bad is the flare?

Bruno Carneiro da Cunha

Dec 24, 2000, 1:27:31 AM12/24/00

Marko B.

Dec 24, 2000, 4:31:45 AM12/24/00
How did you take that photo??? Did you use any special metering?
Whenever i shoot smth. with the sun on the picture i get nothing useful :(

"Bruno Carneiro da Cunha" <acca...@midway.uchicago.edu> wrote in message

Bruno Carneiro da Cunha

Dec 24, 2000, 9:55:03 AM12/24/00
"Marko B." <mar...@altavista.net> wrote in message

> How did you take that photo??? Did you use any special metering?
> Whenever i shoot smth. with the sun on the picture i get nothing useful :(

I metered for the snow (In fact I metered for the snow and corrected by +2.5
stops). Since the camera (Rebel 2000) has a partial metering button, I could
override the centewheighted metering of manual mode. I pointed at the snow,
metered, compensated and recomposed.

And, of course it helps to use the best film available: Kodachrome 25 (It'll
be a shame if Kodak discontinues it. I've never seen such dense negatives. I
am seriously thinking on giving myself a couple of cibachrome blown ups from
the same batch as a Christmas gift :-)

Bruno

Bruno Carneiro da Cunha

Dec 24, 2000, 4:29:11 PM12/24/00

> I've never seen such dense negatives.

Chromes.

Al Denelsbeck

Dec 25, 2000, 7:17:34 PM12/25/00

Bruno Carneiro da Cunha wrote in message ...

Not quite sure what you're asking to accomplish. The shot looks pretty
damn good! Especially impressive is still getting a blue sky and the snow on
the shadow sides of the trees.

Using a small aperture, and positioning the camera so that only a
smidgen of direct sunlight comes through the trees, will give a more
pronounced starburst.

Getting rid of the small spot of flare just above the sun would be
almost impossible, though. A different lens would produce different results
(more than likely worse), but the flare is from internal reflections off of
the lens elements. Using a single-element lens would eliminate it, but I'm
not sure such a thing exists, or that you would like the results if it did.
There's always the possibility of using one of the pinhole body-cap tricks.
But all in all, shooting directly into the sun is virtually guaranteed to
get something like this.

Does anyone know if placing the sun dead center would eliminate internal
flare? (Or bury it within the sun's own light disk, anyway)?

Easy enough to touch out in Photoshop, though. I hadn't noticed it until
my second examination, so I don't consider it too distracting. Personally, I
would crop just a bit tighter at the bottom to eliminate the rough snow
there.

Cheers! - Al.

--
Remove 'onspam' for direct reply.