6x7 Roll Film Back for 4x5 Camera

Marc Bergman

Dec 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/26/96

Does anyone have opinions on roll film backs for a 4x5 camera?

Any model you recommend to buy or avoid. Any help appreciated.

Marc

Peter Bergstrom

Dec 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/26/96

> Does anyone have opinions on roll film backs for a 4x5 camera?
> Any model you recommend to buy or avoid. Any help appreciated.

Don Nelson posted a message sometime in the last 5-6 weeks on this topic.
He's used several of the different film backs. Try searching for it in
DejaNews (www.dejanews.com).

Pete

wpf...@zianet.com

Dec 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/27/96
to Marc Bergman

Marc Bergman wrote:

> Does anyone have opinions on roll film backs for a 4x5 camera?
>
> Any model you recommend to buy or avoid. Any help appreciated.
>
> Marc

I have been pleased with the Horseman roll film backs. Calumet makes a
6 x 7 roll film holder that inserts like a darkslide, but it is bulkier
and not as easy to load. It does accept both 220 and 120 film. As I
recall it does not fit Linhoff.
--
WP Fleming <wpf...@zianet.com>

http://www.zianet.com/wpflem

Vi Vuong

Dec 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/27/96

In article <32C46F...@zianet.com>, <wpf...@zianet.com> wrote:

>I have been pleased with the Horseman roll film backs. Calumet makes a
>6 x 7 roll film holder that inserts like a darkslide, but it is bulkier
>and not as easy to load. It does accept both 220 and 120 film. As I
>recall it does not fit Linhoff.
>--
>WP Fleming <wpf...@zianet.com>
>
>http://www.zianet.com/wpflem

I find the Linhof roll film backs are a little more durable and
of course heavier (heavy duty). Both Horseman and Linhof backs are
fine and available used for around $200-$300.

--
@ @ Vi Vuong <vvu...@eng.uci.edu>
@{ }@ Dept of Mech & Aero Engr, EG 3111

Gary Gaugler

Dec 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/29/96

wpf...@zianet.com wrote:

>Marc Bergman wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone have opinions on roll film backs for a 4x5 camera?
>>
>> Any model you recommend to buy or avoid. Any help appreciated.
>>
>> Marc
>

>I have been pleased with the Horseman roll film backs. Calumet makes a
>6 x 7 roll film holder that inserts like a darkslide, but it is bulkier
>and not as easy to load. It does accept both 220 and 120 film. As I
>recall it does not fit Linhoff.
>--
>WP Fleming <wpf...@zianet.com>
>
>http://www.zianet.com/wpflem

I have and use the Calumet 6x7 foll film back on my Linhof Master Technika.
Yes...it is difficult to load. I have not seen nor tried the Horseman so maybe
it is easier to load. Nevertheless, the Calumet unit works. Sometimes I think
I should have two, so I can quickly change them like mags on my Blad.

Gary Gaugler
Modern surfers use PC boards. You can too at
http://photoweb.net

<gaugler @ mindspring dot com> foils bulk e-mailers

KevinONeil

Dec 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/29/96

I have had several Calumet C2n rollfilm backs and for the money they are a
good product. They do, however, have an advance mechanism that is subject
to breaking down. The bad part is you won't know it until after you've
processed the film. I finally bought a Toyo back and love it. It costs a
LOT more, but at least I know I'll never have spacing or other problems
again.

Kevin...@AOL.Com
Nature Images and Articles at: http://members.aol.com/kevinoneil

James Baker

Dec 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/29/96

Marc Bergman (mber...@concentric.net) wrote:
: Does anyone have opinions on roll film backs for a 4x5 camera?
: Any model you recommend to buy or avoid. Any help appreciated.
: Marc

Someone already mentioned Horseman, which are well-made.
Toyo backs are in that same category. Toyo also makes
a slider system which is very functional (you view thru
the ground glass and slide the holder into place when
it's time to expose --very convenient).

Gary Gaugler

Dec 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/30/96

What is the Toyo part number of the back that you got?? I would like to
try one of them against my Calumet.

Gary Gaugler

Modern surfers use PC boards. You can too at

http://photoweb.net

e-mail: gaugler @ mindspring dot com (foils bulk e-mailers)

KevinONeil

Jan 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/1/97

You requested a part number for the Toyo back. It doesn't have a part
number, it just says "Toyo Roll Film Holder 67/45." It's about 10 inches
long, five inches wide and slightly less than two inches deep. It has a
lever film advance like the Nikon F3 or Pentax 67. It also has a lock on
the dark slide both to keep it from pulling out and to keep it in place
when pulled out.

Gary Gaugler

Jan 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/1/97

kevin...@aol.com (KevinONeil) wrote:

Does it slide underneath the ground glass, i.e., like a cut film holder would,
or must it be locked in place after the ground glass assembly is removed?

Gary Gaugler

Modern surfers use PC boards. You can too at
http://photoweb.net

<gaugler @ mindspring dot com> foils bulk e-mailers

Kevin C. O'Neil

Jan 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/2/97

It slides in like a cut film holder. Very easy to use and convenient.
I wish I had two!

Per Madsen

Jan 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/2/97
to Marc Bergman, PMa...@dk-online.dk

Marc Bergman wrote:

> Does anyone have opinions on roll film backs for a 4x5 camera?
>
> Any model you recommend to buy or avoid. Any help appreciated.
>
> Marc

Toyo makes both a 6 * 9 and a 6 * 7 back for 4x5. They are
very good and you don't have to remove the groundglass, if
it is able to allow the insertation of the 1 inch thick
roll film back. The back can also be mounted using Graflok
sliders.

Regards - Per Madsen

Marc Bergman

Jan 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/2/97

KevinONeil wrote:

> You requested a part number for the Toyo back. It doesn't have a part
> number, it just says "Toyo Roll Film Holder 67/45." It's about 10 inches
> long, five inches wide and slightly less than two inches deep. It has a
> lever film advance like the Nikon F3 or Pentax 67. It also has a lock on
> the dark slide both to keep it from pulling out and to keep it in place
> when pulled out.
>
> Kevin...@AOL.Com
> Nature Images and Articles at: http://members.aol.com/kevinoneil

Kevin,

This sounds similar to how the Calumet back works. Have you ever
compared the two? I've heard other Toyo users say good things about the
Toyo back but it is rather expensive.

Marc