Thinking of two projects/dreams

1 view

Cheesehead

Apr 1, 2011, 1:40:00 PM4/1/11
#1 This is just a dream but it might be fun if I can find a broken
unit to work with ..
Join me in some brainstorming ... just for the joy of it ...

Right now I have an old Gundlach 4x5.
A few years ago (pre-unemployment) I had a nice Nagaoka 4x5. (not the
"woody" model)

In comparison, I like some of the heft of the Gundlach.
It does not feel like it's going to break at anyy movement.
Not that the Nagaoka did, but it was much more vulnerable.
And the Gundlach does have a longer bellows draw,
though I never get out past 250mm anyway.
Plus the Gundlach does have both tilt and swivel on the back,
though I've never used the swivel even once.

Still, the lightness of the Nagaoka made it pleasant to carry around.

So I've been thinking ... what can I do inexpensively to turn G into
GN?
What would it take to start with the rear of a Gundlach
and add the front bed system of a modern lighter-weight camera?
Could I cut the weight by 30% and make it easier to carryg around>\?
Let's see -- what needs to be changed ..
1. The front lens riser system
Change out the wood frame for a metal rail system.
Attach to the new rail system for focusing.
Difficulty level: 8

2. A new bed
Perhaps a nice redwood or fir, not certain which.
Difficulty level: 6

3. The rail system for focusing
Build the gears and rails from the old bed into channels in the new
one
Difficulty level: 7

4. New hinge for closing it up.
Difficulty level: 5

Project #2

I could have kicked myself when I saw the prices on the old Pentax
Stereo Adapter outfits.
They sell for way too much.
So I was thinking ... what about picking up some optical mirrors --
from 35mm and 645,
build a mount for them, along with some simple gears for aligning them
and making a stereo adapter for large format?

The Pentax is designed for optimal use on the 50mm lens.
On the older, original unit you would look through the
view @ a stereo contact print, with one eye on each side.
With the new unit you look down
through a viewer at a 4x6 print.

So how about building one for to use with large format?
4x5 contact prints would be ideal in a stereo-opticon. Just trim to
fit.
And an 8x10 contact print ... just put on some reading glasses and
add a piece of cardboard between you and the print for a really high-
detail 3d image.

In think for the first I'll look for some lady's compact mirrors.
From them I can make a functional prototype.
At the price they sell for, there might be a market, even if only a
few per year sell.
Maybe $250 per outfit ...

David Nebenzahl

Apr 1, 2011, 3:08:56 PM4/1/11
On 4/1/2011 9:40 AM Cheesehead spake thus:

> 2. A new bed
> Perhaps a nice redwood or fir, not certain which.
> Difficulty level: 6

Just to address this small part of your speculative project, don't use
either one of these woods. Too soft (although some fir can be fairly
dense and strong). Mahogany, the choice of most camera makers, is really
no heavier but is much stronger and harder. Also readily available
everywhere, and better-looking too.

--
The current state of literacy in our advanced civilization:

yo
wassup
nuttin
wan2 hang
where
here
l8tr
by

- from Usenet (what's *that*?)

Richard Knoppow

Apr 2, 2011, 7:21:00 PM4/2/11

"David Nebenzahl" <nob...@but.us.chickens> wrote in message

> On 4/1/2011 9:40 AM Cheesehead spake thus:
>
>> 2. A new bed
>> Perhaps a nice redwood or fir, not certain which.
>> Difficulty level: 6
>
> Just to address this small part of your speculative
> project, don't use either one of these woods. Too soft
> (although some fir can be fairly dense and strong).
> Mahogany, the choice of most camera makers, is really no
> heavier but is much stronger and harder. Also readily
> available everywhere, and better-looking too.

Cherry has the advantage of being resistant to
splitting when working. Higher priced cameras, like the
AGFA/Ansco ones were made mostly of Cherry. Mahogany was
also widely used but was cheaper. The Burke & James view
cameras were made of Maple. You can probably find all sorts
of information on hardwoods and their relative merits on the
web. What you want is something that is resistant to warping
and splitting but has good strength. Weight is probably a
secondary consideration. I agree that none of the evergreen
woods is suitable.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles