Picking a head

Cheesehead

Jun 22, 2011, 9:18:49 AM6/22/11
I recently acquired a big Bogen 3036 tripod.
It came with 3047/029 head..
I'd like to use with with the Eastman 2D.
Do you think the head is sturdy enough?
If not, which head would be most suitable?

I've also got a set of Majestic legs.
There's a geared head available locally.
It's certainly heavy enough.
But those legs are fairly short.

Your thoughts?

Richard Knoppow

Jun 22, 2011, 3:36:55 PM6/22/11

"Cheesehead" <dplotu...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I'm not familiar with the Bogen but I do have a
Majestic. Its easily sturdy enough for the 2D. I use it with
several cameras including an 8x10 Agfa/Ansco and a Calumet
C-1, which is a heavier camera than most wood ones. Its a
very stable tripod. I don't know what to suggest for a
taller stand, perhaps one of the larger Davis and Sanford
ones. They made them with two leg lengths for tall and
short. The D&S head is famous but I never really liked it.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dick...@ix.netcom.com

Craig Schroeder

Jul 1, 2011, 11:44:05 AM7/1/11
I believe that I'd trust that head. Some years back, I did a very
thorough set of testing related to a different but challenging duty
but found a real respect for that head, especially for its size.

Craig Schroeder
craig nospam craigschroeder com

Howard Lester

Jul 1, 2011, 2:18:58 PM7/1/11
"Cheesehead" wrote

> I recently acquired a big Bogen 3036 tripod.
> It came with 3047/029 head..
> I'd like to use with with the Eastman 2D.

I'm not at all familiar with the Eastman 2D. I have a 3047 head atop a Bogen
3020 tripod. I use my 6 lb. (+ lens) Zone VI 4x5 on it, and it works fine. I
removed the center column and replaced it with a special plate that was made
by Kirk ? Enterprises. That did increase the overall stability.
Unfortunately Kirk doesn't make that plate anymore, as far as I can tell.

Howard

Cheesehead

Jul 4, 2011, 1:18:22 PM7/4/11

Thanks everyone.
In the end I took the easy way out.
When shooting dslr and/or 4x5, I will pull out the 3011.
When shooting 4x5 & 8x10 I will use the 3063/3047 combo.
And Columbus Camera Group had a geared head, so
when shooting must 8x10 I will use the Majestic.
At least I have space for all three.
If the 3011 would handle the 8x10, then the 3063 would go.
But perhaps I should try it ...