Good card reader?

LAshooter

Jun 26, 2005, 3:38:47 PM6/26/05
I'm getting very annoyed at the performance of my current card readers. I
now have 3, and none seem to work consistently. This is what I'm seeing on
each:

1. Internal generic card reader in floppy bay, with front USB ports: The
computer recognizes something plugged in to the USB ports, but doesn't
detect a CF card being plugged in. Removable drives some up occasionally in
My Computer (running Win XP), but don't exist most of the time.
2. Lexar USB CF reader: This works great with Lexar cards, but won't read my
SanDisk or my orphan Delkin CF cards.
3. PNY USB CF reader: Often the computer won't even recognize the reader.
Sometimes works with SanDisk cards, not with Lexars.

I've heard that Lexar uses a "special" format for reading/writing, so that
they can force people to use their readers -- but this doesn't do much good
if you have non-Lexar cards. Can anyone recommend a multi-format reader that
works for any brand of CF card??

Thanks,
Wm

(replies CC: to sdshooter at hotmail are greatly appreciated!)

Gautam Majumdar

Jun 26, 2005, 4:02:46 PM6/26/05
On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 20:38:47 +0100, LAshooter wrote:

> I'm getting very annoyed at the performance of my current card readers.
> I now have 3, and none seem to work consistently. This is what I'm
> seeing on each:

I have a Dazzle usb2 card reader that works equally well with Lexar,
Sandisk & PNG cards. It works both with Windows & Linux. I bought it for
GBP20.

--

Gautam Majumdar

Please send e-mails to gmaj...@freeuk.com

Dimitrios Tzortzakakis

Jun 26, 2005, 4:56:17 PM6/26/05
I simply don't have one-I just connect my Kodak CX 7300 directly to USB port
of my computer.The card reader in the lab never had problems reading my
lexar 128 MB SD card.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr

Jim

Jun 26, 2005, 5:36:48 PM6/26/05

"LAshooter" <lash...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
The only thing that is common to all of this is the computer. Perhaps there
is a hardware problem.
Jim

Vince

Jun 27, 2005, 1:14:37 AM6/27/05
Well i have a sandisk 8 in 1 card reader and it reads every and anything i
put in it an am runing win xp. sandisk is the best i think.

Vince.....

"Jim" <j...@nospam.com> wrote in message

hyperoglyphe

Jun 27, 2005, 2:05:07 AM6/27/05

"Jim" <j...@nospam.com> wrote in message

I have had similar problems on 3 computers across 2 OS's. Generally Sandisk
Ultra II's +1GB, also a 'Silicon Power 66x 2GB' having the most problems,
including corrupted pics. It's heading for the bin.

The only common factor being cheap multi drive USB readers, although
different
brands. I'm also looking for solutions and have on order a Sandisk
Ultra/Extreme PCMCIA II adapter.

A coworker finds direct USB connection to camera most reliable although
slow. I never had problems before going to the larger capacity cards for 2
different cameras.

Dave

Pete D

Jun 27, 2005, 5:41:25 AM6/27/05
I have a 6 in 1 Sandisk and it works great, has no slot for xD cards though.

"Vince" <v...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

Hemlock Soames

Jun 27, 2005, 6:47:09 AM6/27/05
On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 19:38:47 GMT, "LAshooter" <lash...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I'm getting very annoyed at the performance of my current card readers. I
>now have 3, and none seem to work consistently. This is what I'm seeing on
>each:

A friend had dificulties withher digital camera and the solution I
found may apply to your situation.

The computer would recognize the flash card in the camera - one
would hear the sounds of the process being completed - but no drive
would appear on the desktop or in the Explorer file manager.

Something in the process was determined to designate the flash card
as Drive D, and the computer already had had a second physical hard
drive that already had that designation. Since a computer can't have
two drive D's no drive would appear to represent the flash drive.

The solution was to go into Settings--Control Panel--Admin
Tools--Computer Management--Storage--Disk Management and see if the
flash drive appeared in the listing - it did. I changed the drive
letter designation to Drive S and that fixed the problem and
subsequently the system would recognize the card upon insertion and
give it the designation of Drive S.

Soames

Neil Ellwood

Jun 27, 2005, 8:16:42 AM6/27/05
On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 14:05:07 +0800, hyperoglyphe wrote:

> I have had similar problems on 3 computers across 2 OS's. Generally Sandisk
> Ultra II's +1GB, also a 'Silicon Power 66x 2GB' having the most problems,
> including corrupted pics. It's heading for the bin.
>
> The only common factor being cheap multi drive USB readers, although
> different
> brands. I'm also looking for solutions and have on order a Sandisk
> Ultra/Extreme PCMCIA II adapter.
>
> A coworker finds direct USB connection to camera most reliable although
> slow. I never had problems before going to the larger capacity cards for 2
> different cameras.
>
> Dave

I, touch wood, don't get problems downloading pics from either of my
cameras. Using mandriva LE2005 I fire up GTKam on the computer and connect
the camera via usb. Select the camera and then download the pics and save
them in the folder I keep for this; job is then ready to start.

--
neil
delete delete to reply

Doug Robbins

Jun 27, 2005, 12:33:38 PM6/27/05
Another vote for the 8-in-1 Sandisk. Works great for me.

Doug Robbins