That is NOT the colour of the sky!!!

RichA

Mar 7, 2011, 2:15:39 PM3/7/11
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9476880@N02/4430224345/sizes/o/in/set-72157621949266496/

God how I dislike the colour-shifted cyan skies I have to look at in
photos. The sky is NOT cyan, it is blue. The deepness is different
as you go further or nearer the Sun, but the colour is always blue,
barring sunsets and particulate contaminants in the air (like from
industrial pollution or volcanoes). I have NEVER seen a cyan sky
"live" in my life and they should work to figure out how this can be
purged from censors.

Gary Edstrom

Mar 7, 2011, 2:27:34 PM3/7/11
On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 11:15:39 -0800 (PST), RichA <rande...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Actually, the real color of the sky is black! It only looks blue due to
bending and scattering of light caused by the earth's atmosphere. Look
at the pictures the astronauts brought back from the moon: The sky is
black.

Gary

Outing Trolls is FUN!

Mar 7, 2011, 2:32:16 PM3/7/11
wrote:

>http://www.flickr.com/photos/9476880@N02/4430224345/sizes/o/in/set-72157621949266496/

You really do need to get out of your mommy's basement on occasion. The sky
is indeed cyan on occasions. The color of the sky depends on many things.
The time of day, the amount of air-pollutants, the humidity, and even the
sky-glow caused by electrical discharge (something that astronomers and
aurora-fans are all too aware of). The color of light reflected from the
earth's surface below the sky, it too vastly changing the color above at
times.

But I strongly suspect that your sky is more plaid or argyle in your
mommy's-basement world. So how would you ever even know of these things
that often change the color of the real sky. At least the one on earth. The
vote is still out as to which planet you call home.

Savageduck

Mar 7, 2011, 2:56:29 PM3/7/11

> http://www.flickr.com/photos/9476880@N02/4430224345/sizes/o/in/set-72157621949266496/

Please Rich! Let's not have a Sisker redux moment.

While pure cyan is an inappropriate color for normal daylight sky, I
would hardly call the color you are bitching about in the sample you
have presented "cyan". I that the faded blue blend of a shot through
haze.
...and as you have stated, sky color is not locked into any single tone
of blue, you can also add a variety of blends of magenta, red, gold,
grey, all dependent on atmospheric conditions, and somewhere in that
blend of colors cyan will have a role to play.

Let's just remind ourselves of the Tyndall effect and Rayleigh
scattering. Just to keep things simple check <
http://www.sciencemadesimple.com/sky_blue.html >

--
Regards,

Savageduck

R. Mark Clayton

Mar 7, 2011, 3:10:10 PM3/7/11

"RichA" <rande...@gmail.com> wrote in message

You need to look out of the window and check your facts!

Only today where I am it was the following colours

Morning grey
Early afternoon sky blue!
Later afternoon cyan (well much lighter blue anyway)
Early evening red
Now black

sna...@mailinator.com

Mar 7, 2011, 3:30:59 PM3/7/11
On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 11:15:39 -0800 (PST), RichA <rande...@gmail.com> wrote:

That looks like a typical Australian sky.

GA

Mar 7, 2011, 3:50:07 PM3/7/11
"RichA" <rande...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I guess now's probably a bad time to ask how the Hubble is able to produce
images that are vibrant in color and not B&W?

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Allen

Mar 7, 2011, 4:59:42 PM3/7/11
It's because for the last 27 years, 4 months and 17 days all new sky has
been made of...PLASTIC! I'm surprised that RichA didn't know this.
Allen
Message has been deleted

George Kerby

Mar 7, 2011, 5:03:18 PM3/7/11

On 3/7/11 1:15 PM, in article
67e8b964-8961-4c02...@j9g2000prj.googlegroups.com, "RichA"
<rande...@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.flickr.com/photos/9476880@N02/4430224345/sizes/o/in/set-72157621949

> 266496/
>
> God how I dislike the colour-shifted cyan skies I have to look at in
> photos. The sky is NOT cyan, it is blue. The deepness is different
> as you go further or nearer the Sun, but the colour is always blue,
> barring sunsets and particulate contaminants in the air (like from
> industrial pollution or volcanoes). I have NEVER seen a cyan sky
> "live" in my life and they should work to figure out how this can be
> purged from censors.

Well it looks like you pretty much 'censored' it already, fool.

Savageduck

Mar 7, 2011, 5:15:45 PM3/7/11
On 2011-03-07 14:00:12 -0800, ASCII <m...@privacy.net> said:

> Savageduck wrote:
>>
>> http://www.sciencemadesimple.com/sky_blue.html >
>
> There are some neighborhoods here in San Diego that have this sky;-)
> http://www.sciencemadesimple.com/img_sky/rainbow.gif

Just trying to keep things simple for the extremely happy.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

Peter Chant

Mar 7, 2011, 6:13:01 PM3/7/11
Gary Edstrom wrote:

> Actually, the real color of the sky is black! It only looks blue due to
> bending and scattering of light caused by the earth's atmosphere. Look
> at the pictures the astronauts brought back from the moon: The sky is
> black.

I'm not so sure, on average it is grey around here.

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk

Eric Stevens

Mar 7, 2011, 8:31:39 PM3/7/11

Because its images of objects and not the void between them.

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Paul Furman

Mar 8, 2011, 12:43:32 AM3/8/11
RichA wrote:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/9476880@N02/4430224345/sizes/o/in/set-72157621949266496/
>
> colour-shifted cyan

The histogram isn't blown, which can be a problem if the blues go off
the right edge in an RGB histogram but that's not the case here.

> ...purged from censors.

heh

The solution is negative exposure compensation, then boost in post but
that makes the shadows more noisy, particularly skies if you don't need it.

Better Info

Mar 8, 2011, 1:35:13 AM3/8/11
On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 21:43:32 -0800, Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net>
wrote:

>The solution is negative exposure compensation, then boost in post but
>that makes the shadows more noisy, particularly skies if you don't need it.

Doesn't matter. For all this technological mental-masturbation (i.e.
distractions from the REAL problem), I've yet to see any of you produce any
images where noise even matters. Let alone knowing how to use it to
effectively enhance an image. The subjects and compositions themselves are
more than enough to detract from anyone wanting to view any of them for
more than a second. The latest SI being yet another testament to this
glaring fact. As will the next one, and the next, and the next ...
Welcoming known and proved photo-thieves into your T-Ball leagues isn't
even a small part of the main problem that all of you need to, but will
never, address.

tony cooper

Mar 8, 2011, 1:43:46 AM3/8/11
On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 00:35:13 -0600, Better Info <bi...@address.info>
wrote:

>On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 21:43:32 -0800, Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net>
>wrote:
>

>>The solution is negative exposure compensation, then boost in post but
>>that makes the shadows more noisy, particularly skies if you don't need it.
>
>Doesn't matter. For all this technological mental-masturbation (i.e.
>distractions from the REAL problem), I've yet to see any of you produce any
>images where noise even matters.

Or us, you.

The real noise is you flapping your gums about something you evidently
can't do: take good photographs.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Better Info

Mar 8, 2011, 1:59:21 AM3/8/11
On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 01:43:46 -0500, tony cooper
<tony_co...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 00:35:13 -0600, Better Info <bi...@address.info>
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 21:43:32 -0800, Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>The solution is negative exposure compensation, then boost in post but
>>>that makes the shadows more noisy, particularly skies if you don't need it.
>>
>>Doesn't matter. For all this technological mental-masturbation (i.e.
>>distractions from the REAL problem), I've yet to see any of you produce any
>>images where noise even matters.
>
>Or us, you.

Thanks, for finally admitting that you don't know how to use any camera.

I guess you forget all the throw-away images of mine that I posted to
counter Anika1980's beginner snapshots. To prove to him that I can outdo
him even with a 2 megapixel P&S camera, no matter the subject. That's why
he no longer posts his crap here after all his years of doing so. I
publicly proved him to be the snapshooting fool that he is. You, on the
other hand, fall much more sharply into the "moron" category. You can't
even tell how ignorant and stupid that you are, so you persist in proving
it time and time again.

Mar 8, 2011, 2:49:23 AM3/8/11

How long since you calibrated your monitor? That looks the same colour
as the sky outside my living room.

RichA

Mar 8, 2011, 9:04:49 AM3/8/11
On Mar 8, 2:49 am, N <N...@home.local> wrote:
> On 8/03/2011, RichA wrote:
> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/9476880@N02/4430224345/sizes/o/in/set-72...

> > God how I dislike the colour-shifted cyan skies I have to look at in
> > photos.  The sky is NOT cyan, it is blue.  The deepness is different
> > as you go further or nearer the Sun, but the colour is always blue,
> > barring sunsets and particulate contaminants in the air (like from
> > industrial pollution or volcanoes).  I have NEVER seen a cyan sky
> > "live" in my life and they should work to figure out how this can be
> > purged from censors.
>
> How long since you calibrated your monitor?  That looks the same colour
> as the sky outside my living room.

Time for that vision check you always wanted. I'm looking out my
office window. The sky is blue to the horizon, not cyan.

Martin Brown

Mar 8, 2011, 9:31:53 AM3/8/11
On 07/03/2011 20:50, GA wrote:
> "RichA" <rande...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/9476880@N02/4430224345/sizes/o/in/set-72157621949266496/
>>

>> God how I dislike the colour-shifted cyan skies I have to look at in
>> photos. The sky is NOT cyan, it is blue. The deepness is different
>> as you go further or nearer the Sun, but the colour is always blue,
>> barring sunsets and particulate contaminants in the air (like from
>> industrial pollution or volcanoes). I have NEVER seen a cyan sky
>> "live" in my life and they should work to figure out how this can be
>> purged from censors.

Oh rubbish. The sky at temperate latitudes is quite often borderline
cyan particularly at low elevations - my sky outside is exactly the
colour you claim it cannot be today!

> I guess now's probably a bad time to ask how the Hubble is able to
> produce images that are vibrant in color and not B&W?

Not a good choice. The raw Hubble images are all monochrome.

A lot of the Hubble images are false colour taken through very
narrowband filters - often with an unintuitive mapping. eg.

SII (dark red) - red
HI 656nm (red) - green
OIII 501nm (green/cyan) - blue

That mapping is sometimes referred to as the Hubble palette. eg
http://www.cosmicphotos.com/gallery/image.php?fld_image_id=153&fld_album_id=11

For artistic reasons they sometimes permute them with

HI red, OIII green and SII blue eg

http://www.noao.edu/outreach/press/pr01/ir0101.html

The horsehead nebula would look funny any other colour.

Regards,
Martin Brown

RichA

Mar 8, 2011, 12:10:07 PM3/8/11
On Mar 8, 9:31 am, Martin Brown <|||newspam...@nezumi.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

> On 07/03/2011 20:50, GA wrote:
>
> > "RichA" <rander3...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >>http://www.flickr.com/photos/9476880@N02/4430224345/sizes/o/in/set-72...

> >> God how I dislike the colour-shifted cyan skies I have to look at in
> >> photos. The sky is NOT cyan, it is blue. The deepness is different
> >> as you go further or nearer the Sun, but the colour is always blue,
> >> barring sunsets and particulate contaminants in the air (like from
> >> industrial pollution or volcanoes). I have NEVER seen a cyan sky
> >> "live" in my life and they should work to figure out how this can be
> >> purged from censors.
>
> Oh rubbish. The sky at temperate latitudes is quite often borderline
> cyan particularly at low elevations - my sky outside is exactly the
> colour you claim it cannot be today!
>
> > I guess now's probably a bad time to ask how the Hubble is able to
> > produce images that are vibrant in color and not B&W?
>
> Not a good choice. The raw Hubble images are all monochrome.
>
> A lot of the Hubble images are false colour taken through very
> narrowband filters - often with an unintuitive mapping. eg.
>
> SII (dark red) - red
> HI  656nm (red) - green
> OIII 501nm (green/cyan) - blue
>
> That mapping is sometimes referred to as the Hubble palette. eghttp://www.cosmicphotos.com/gallery/image.php?fld_image_id=153&fld_al...

> For artistic reasons they sometimes permute them with
>
> HI red, OIII green and SII blue eg
>
> http://www.noao.edu/outreach/press/pr01/ir0101.html
>
> The horsehead nebula would look funny any other colour.
>
> Regards,
> Martin Brown

Have they ever sent a Bayer filtered-sensored camera into space?

David J Taylor

Mar 8, 2011, 3:12:26 PM3/8/11
> Have they ever sent a Bayer filtered-sensored camera into space?

Of course - plenty of Nikon DSLRs on the International Space Station.

Mar 8, 2011, 3:13:26 PM3/8/11

Do you have a calibrated monitor and are you comparing that photo on
that calibrated monitor with the sky outside the window and is the
window open or does it have untinted glass?

Have you ever travelled anywhere else in the world and looked at how
the sky varies?

Peter N

Mar 8, 2011, 3:49:42 PM3/8/11
wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9476880@N02/4430224345/sizes/o/in/set-7215
7621949266496/

> God how I dislike the colour-shifted cyan skies I have to look at in
> photos. The sky is NOT cyan, it is blue. The deepness is different
> as you go further or nearer the Sun, but the colour is always blue,
> barring sunsets and particulate contaminants in the air (like from
> industrial pollution or volcanoes). I have NEVER seen a cyan sky
> "live" in my life and they should work to figure out how this can be
> purged from censors.

Don't look. Just say no.

--
from my Droid

Peter N

Mar 8, 2011, 3:56:18 PM3/8/11

He can't even spell censor.

--
from my Droid

Peter N

Mar 8, 2011, 4:01:13 PM3/8/11

I can think of parts of his anatomy that could use calibration.

--
from my Droid

news.iinet.net.au

Mar 8, 2011, 6:32:58 PM3/8/11
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/9476880@N02/4430224345/sizes/o/in/set-72157621949266496/

> God how I dislike the colour-shifted cyan skies I have to look at in
> photos. The sky is NOT cyan, it is blue. The deepness is different
> as you go further or nearer the Sun, but the colour is always blue,
> barring sunsets and particulate contaminants in the air (like from
> industrial pollution or volcanoes). I have NEVER seen a cyan sky
> "live" in my life and they should work to figure out how this can be
> purged from censors.

How do you feel about the pleasant reply you received to your comment?
Are you going to point out to the photo owner how rude you've been in
the newsgroup?

I'm very temped to post a link to this thread as a comment on the
photo.

George Kerby

Mar 8, 2011, 6:51:17 PM3/8/11

On 3/8/11 5:32 PM, in article
jNWdnaEieckyIevQ...@westnet.com.au, "news.iinet.net.au"
<n...@home.local> wrote:

>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/9476880@N02/4430224345/sizes/o/in/set-7215762194

>> 9266496/
>>
>> God how I dislike the colour-shifted cyan skies I have to look at in
>> photos. The sky is NOT cyan, it is blue. The deepness is different
>> as you go further or nearer the Sun, but the colour is always blue,
>> barring sunsets and particulate contaminants in the air (like from
>> industrial pollution or volcanoes). I have NEVER seen a cyan sky
>> "live" in my life and they should work to figure out how this can be
>> purged from censors.
>
> How do you feel about the pleasant reply you received to your comment?
> Are you going to point out to the photo owner how rude you've been in
> the newsgroup?
>
> I'm very temped to post a link to this thread as a comment on the
> photo.

His mommy never took him out and washed his mouth with lye soap, much like
Tonto.

Outing Trolls is FUN!

Mar 8, 2011, 7:14:25 PM3/8/11
On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 17:51:17 -0600, George Kerby <ghost_...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>His mommy never took him out and washed his mouth with lye soap, much like
>Tonto.

Your mommy never taught you how to move out of her basement and get a job
so you can afford a camera, let alone know how to use one.

George Kerby

Mar 8, 2011, 8:42:50 PM3/8/11

On 3/8/11 6:14 PM, in article cghdn6he187cll707...@4ax.com,

This is so 'YOU"...

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PaHcZUHI00>

And your mother never gave you breast milk, only salt water, Tonto.

Fuck off you ignorant excuse for a biped.

SneakyP

Mar 8, 2011, 10:34:07 PM3/8/11
George Kerby <ghost_...@hotmail.com> wrote in

>> On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 17:51:17 -0600, George Kerby
>> <ghost_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> His mommy never took him out and washed his mouth with lye soap, much
>>> like Tonto.

Sybil as 'Outing Trolls is FUN' squealed:
>> "trolltrolltrolltroll you suck
>> trolltrolltroll"
>>

> This is so 'YOU"...
>
> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PaHcZUHI00>
>
> And your mother never gave you breast milk, only salt water, Tonto.
>
> Fuck off you ignorant excuse for a biped.

Looks like Sybil is spinning on it's hamster wheel again.

<lol>

--
__
SneakyP

Supernews, if you get a complaint from a Jamie Baillie, please see:
http://www.canadianisp.ca/jamie_baillie.html

SneakyP

Mar 8, 2011, 10:34:08 PM3/8/11

>>On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 21:43:32 -0800, Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>The solution is negative exposure compensation, then boost in post but
>>>that makes the shadows more noisy, particularly skies if you don't need
>>>it.
>>

>><snip something about SybilTroll mumbling something completely useless>

::looks in bozobin window at screaming trolltard.

Yep, Sybil's still banging it's head up it's cranium like an assfuck would.

::gets sign out that reads: "Get a brain - SybilTroll"

bugbear

Mar 9, 2011, 4:33:49 AM3/9/11
RichA wrote:
> I have NEVER seen a cyan sky
> "live" in my life and they should work to figure out how this can be
> purged from censors.

Yes; they should be banned.

BugBear

Peter Twydell

Mar 9, 2011, 5:05:38 AM3/9/11
In message <B5-dnQCZ36fg1OrQ...@brightview.co.uk>, bugbear
<bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> writes

Would banning a censor depend of the shade of blue in his pencil?

--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!

bugbear

Mar 9, 2011, 5:35:48 AM3/9/11
Peter Twydell wrote:
> In message <B5-dnQCZ36fg1OrQ...@brightview.co.uk>, bugbear
> <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> writes
>> RichA wrote:
>>> I have NEVER seen a cyan sky
>>> "live" in my life and they should work to figure out how this can be
>>> purged from censors.
>>
>> Yes; they should be banned.
>>

> Would banning a censor depend of the shade of blue in his pencil?

Not blue pencil likely!

BugBear

Neil Ellwood

Mar 9, 2011, 6:43:50 AM3/9/11

Is calibration really the term you were looking for? I believe that
termination would be a more relevant one.

--
Neil
Linux counter 335851

Peter N

Mar 9, 2011, 6:43:38 PM3/9/11

I am not violent.

--
from my Droid

John Turco

Mar 30, 2011, 10:17:35 PM3/30/11
ASCII wrote:

> > Gary Edstrom wrote:
> >> On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 11:15:39 -0800 (PST), RichA <rande...@gmail.com>
> >> wrote:

<edited>

> >> God how I dislike the colour-shifted cyan skies I have to look at in
> >> photos. The sky is NOT cyan, it is blue. The deepness is different
> >> as you go further or nearer the Sun, but the colour is always blue,
> >> barring sunsets and particulate contaminants in the air (like from
> >> industrial pollution or volcanoes). I have NEVER seen a cyan sky
> >> "live" in my life and they should work to figure out how this can be
> >> purged from censors.
> >

> > Actually, the real color of the sky is black! It only looks blue due to
> > bending and scattering of light caused by the earth's atmosphere. Look
> > at the pictures the astronauts brought back from the moon: The sky is
> > black.
> >
> > Gary
>
> If you must harvest a nit, maybe select one from the same vine.
> In the referenced photo the 'sky' part is from a terrestrial perspective,
> as evidenced by the 'earthly' type dwellings,
> not out in space, or even the surface of mars.

I've sometimes "made" a blue sky turn quite dark, when using the manual
settings of my Kodak "P850" (12x optical zoom digicam). It has happened,
in trying to capture better shots of earth's "natural satellite."

Excellent results have been obtained, featuring a properly exposed moon
and a black sky.

--
Cordially,
John Turco <jt...@concentric.net>