B&H has the worst customer service on the planet.

bozak

Jan 19, 2004, 1:45:40 PM1/19/04
I bought a Panasonic stand alone dvd recorder from them
(their top of the line unit for the home consumer) and it came
when they said it would. This product came with a rebate
from Panasonic which included 2 DVD-RAM and 8 DVD-R
discs. When i bought the recorder they had the rebate form
on their site for downloading. Once I received the product
I went back to the site and it was no longer there. I spent
a ridiculous amount of time waiting on their phone lines for
someone to talk too. Never happened. I sent three emails to
them. One to the guy who sold it to me (he forwarded it to
the so called customer service department), and two to their
customer service department, both of which went unanswered.

The whole problem with the matter is that Panasonic is no
longer participating in the rebate, but I called Panasonic and
they told me that they would honor the rebate if B&H sent me
the form. This isn't a huge problem, but if they cant take the
time out to send me a rebate form through fax or email, I wonder
what would happen if I had a real problem that they needed
to fix. Their customer service department is none existent.

I'm now in the market for an external Sony 510UL dvd recorder.
I told the guy who i intially bought the Panasonic recorder that
I would buy it from them if all went well with that purchase.
I would buy it from them if i was into aggravation.

Just in case they want to say I'm lying about it, this is
their reference number...

control no. 109178360

They are good for communicating with you as long as you
have received your product. Once you receive it you are
on your own.

Mark M

Jan 19, 2004, 2:46:56 PM1/19/04

" bozak" <bo...@mail.com> wrote in message

> The whole problem with the matter is that Panasonic is no
> longer participating in the rebate, but I called Panasonic and
> they told me that they would honor the rebate if B&H sent me
> the form.

If Panasonic wants to make an exception to it's own discontinuation, then
PANASONIC should contact B&H, rather than expecting B&H to go on your sole
say-so.
This is not a B&H issue, rather it is B&H following Panasonic's clear
cancelation.
-Something over which B&H has no control.
If Panasonic is sincere, they will honor your request with the receipt/proof
of purchase.

Dan Sullivan

Jan 19, 2004, 3:03:08 PM1/19/04

" bozak" <bo...@mail.com> wrote in message
> I bought a Panasonic stand alone dvd recorder from them
> (their top of the line unit for the home consumer) and it came
> when they said it would. This product came with a rebate
> from Panasonic which included 2 DVD-RAM and 8 DVD-R
> discs. When i bought the recorder they had the rebate form
> on their site for downloading. Once I received the product
> I went back to the site and it was no longer there. I spent
> a ridiculous amount of time waiting on their phone lines for
> someone to talk too. Never happened. I sent three emails to
> them. One to the guy who sold it to me (he forwarded it to
> the so called customer service department), and two to their
> customer service department, both of which went unanswered.

Why didn't you go directly to the Panasonic website?

It was their rebate, not B&Hs.

And usually rebates end with a three or four week grace period where you
still can send in the paperwork.

Someone at Panasonic should have sent you the form.

> The whole problem with the matter is that Panasonic is no
> longer participating in the rebate, but I called Panasonic and
> they told me that they would honor the rebate if B&H sent me
> the form.

See above.

> This isn't a huge problem, but if they cant take the
> time out to send me a rebate form through fax or email, I wonder
> what would happen if I had a real problem that they needed
> to fix. Their customer service department is none existent.

Now are you referring tp B&H or Panasonic?

> I'm now in the market for an external Sony 510UL dvd recorder.
> I told the guy who i intially bought the Panasonic recorder that
> I would buy it from them if all went well with that purchase.
> I would buy it from them if i was into aggravation.
>
> Just in case they want to say I'm lying about it, this is
> their reference number...
>
> control no. 109178360
>
> They are good for communicating with you as long as you
> have received your product. Once you receive it you are
> on your own.

You should have dealt directly with Panasonic because it was their rebate.

Best, Dan Sullivan

Jeff Shoaf

Jan 19, 2004, 3:24:09 PM1/19/04
" bozak" <bo...@mail.com> wrote in news:oBVOb.3241$Kp5.2507
@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com:

I'll have to disagree with you. I recently bought a fairly expensive lens
from them. When I received it, they had included a manufacturer's rebate
form for the lens. I quickly noticed that the lens had dust in it. I took
some test shots with it and didn't notice any adverse affects from the
dust, but I knew that it would affect the resale value of the lens so I
decided to exchange it. It did take a while to get through to a customer
service rep, but this was between the Christmas and New Year's holidays
so I assumed they were overloaded.

When I finally got through to a CS rep, he took my information, gave me
an RMA number, and e-mailed me a web link where I could print out a pre-
paid UPS label. I printed the label, packaged up the lens, attached the
label, and dropped the package off at a nearby Staples on a Tuesday. I
received the replacement lens the next Tuesday.

I'm so happy with their service that I placed another order from them
last night.

Product developer

Jan 19, 2004, 5:10:05 PM1/19/04
I am regular client of B and H and have never had a problem with them.
I am the first to complain if I feel like I am gettting hosed but B
and H delivers where some of the little guys fail. I am waiting for a
$250.00 Matrox rebate on the X.100 that was handled by B and H. If
there is a hiccup I will post it here.

jjs

Jan 19, 2004, 5:42:41 PM1/19/04
In article <oBVOb.3241$Kp5....@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com>, " bozak"
<bo...@mail.com> wrote:

> I bought a Panasonic stand alone dvd recorder from them

Take it up with someone who fcuking cares, you cross-posting deadbeat.

Princess

Jan 19, 2004, 6:14:28 PM1/19/04
(jjs)It must suck to be that miserable all the time
.
"jjs" <jo...@xyzzy.stafford.net> wrote in message

Duncan

Jan 19, 2004, 7:14:46 PM1/19/04
They're the best online sales organization in photography in North
America...they really know they're stuff and they deliver...no bull.

Joseph Meehan

Jan 19, 2004, 9:25:14 PM1/19/04
Maybe if you had written that you had a problem, presented the facts and
asked what you might be able to do to correct the problem, you would have
received a much warmer response.

As indicated, I suggest you send copies of your information to Panasonic
(who issue the rebate), that is to the company not the rebate processor, and
ask what you may be able to do now. Ask them if they can process it with
the information you provided or if they might be able to provide a rebate
form?

I suspect they will take care of it.

I know, I have kicked myself more than once for screwing up a refund
request, but it happens. Life to too short to stay made at yourself or
anyone else over it.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

PTRAVEL

Jan 19, 2004, 9:29:44 PM1/19/04

" bozak" <bo...@mail.com> wrote in message

Well, let's see. . .

You're mad at B&H because they took down a rebate form after the promotion
ended, and won't send you another.

You must be kidding.

Incidently, both in my personal experience, and after buying many, many
thousands of dollars worth of gear, and in the experiences of those who
bought from them and reported on the internet, B&H is the unquestioned
leader in customer service, ethical deal and business integrity.

Charlie Fenton

Jan 19, 2004, 10:16:08 PM1/19/04

Charlie Fenton

Jan 19, 2004, 10:16:27 PM1/19/04

Charlie Fenton

Jan 19, 2004, 10:16:48 PM1/19/04

Charlie Fenton

Jan 19, 2004, 10:17:06 PM1/19/04

Charlie Fenton

Jan 19, 2004, 10:17:18 PM1/19/04

A Good Joe

Jan 19, 2004, 10:23:41 PM1/19/04
Why didn't you print out the rebate form from the website in the first
place. You obviously knew you were going to purchase the recorder - why wait
to order then go get the rebate form?

Frank ess

Jan 19, 2004, 10:35:45 PM1/19/04
Sorry, Charlie

Bryand Spencer

Jan 20, 2004, 12:19:38 AM1/20/04
Fer Gods sake Charlie, say somethin'.

gr

Jan 20, 2004, 7:40:46 AM1/20/04
"PTRAVEL" <ptravel8...@yahoo.com> wrote

E-mailing the old rebate form is a pretty simple request. If your
"unquestioned leader in customer service" won't even be bothered doing that,
then it doesn't say much for the current state of customer service.

bozak

Jan 20, 2004, 11:54:03 AM1/20/04
"PTRAVEL" <ptravel8...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<bui3qm$hrdfa$1...@ID-101118.news.uni-berlin.de>...

> " bozak" <bo...@mail.com> wrote in message
>
> Well, let's see. . .
>
> You're mad at B&H because they took down a rebate form after the promotion
> ended, and won't send you another.

they never sent me the first one...

> You must be kidding.

apparently i must not be...

> Incidently, both in my personal experience, and after buying many, many
> thousands of dollars worth of gear, and in the experiences of those who
> bought from them and reported on the internet, B&H is the unquestioned
> leader in customer service, ethical deal and business integrity.

B&H is full of shit... The problem is they have not responded back in
kind in any fashion. If thats what you call great customer service,
so be it.

bozak

Jan 20, 2004, 11:55:06 AM1/20/04
jdu...@vorel.com (Product developer) wrote in message news:<118afaeb.04011...@posting.google.com>...

> I am regular client of B and H and have never had a problem with them.

lucky you...

bozak

Jan 20, 2004, 12:02:29 PM1/20/04
"Dan Sullivan" <dsul...@optonline.net> wrote in message news:<0KWOb.21653$OM2.5...@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>...

> " bozak" <bo...@mail.com> wrote in message
> > I bought a Panasonic stand alone dvd recorder from them
> > (their top of the line unit for the home consumer) and it came
> > when they said it would. This product came with a rebate
> > from Panasonic which included 2 DVD-RAM and 8 DVD-R
> > discs. When i bought the recorder they had the rebate form
> > on their site for downloading. Once I received the product
> > I went back to the site and it was no longer there. I spent
> > a ridiculous amount of time waiting on their phone lines for
> > someone to talk too. Never happened. I sent three emails to
> > them. One to the guy who sold it to me (he forwarded it to
> > the so called customer service department), and two to their
> > customer service department, both of which went unanswered.
>
> Why didn't you go directly to the Panasonic website?

it was no longer on the panasonic website...
it was on the B&H site when i bought the recorder...

> It was their rebate, not B&Hs.

B&H used the rebate in an effort to sell the recorder...
I think the main reason B&H is not responding to me because
the actual item I received is different from the item I paid
for. I paid for a panasonic dmr-e100hs, what I received was
a panasonic dmr-e100h. Part of my email asked what is the
difference between the 100hs and 100h. As of today I still
have had no reply from them. I cant tell the difference as
they seem to have no different functions. But since I bought
it from B&H I would think they could clear up the matter.

Is that good customer service in your estimation?

> And usually rebates end with a three or four week grace period where you
> still can send in the paperwork.
>
> Someone at Panasonic should have sent you the form.

They said it was up to B&H. You have no idea of how many
people at Panasonic I had to talk to just to get them
to do that.

> > The whole problem with the matter is that Panasonic is no
> > longer participating in the rebate, but I called Panasonic and
> > they told me that they would honor the rebate if B&H sent me
> > the form.
>
> See above.

so should you.

> > This isn't a huge problem, but if they cant take the
> > time out to send me a rebate form through fax or email, I wonder
> > what would happen if I had a real problem that they needed
> > to fix. Their customer service department is none existent.
>
> Now are you referring tp B&H or Panasonic?

B&H since it was up on their site and part of their promotion
to sell it.

> > I'm now in the market for an external Sony 510UL dvd recorder.
> > I told the guy who i intially bought the Panasonic recorder that
> > I would buy it from them if all went well with that purchase.
> > I would buy it from them if i was into aggravation.
> >
> > Just in case they want to say I'm lying about it, this is
> > their reference number...
> >
> > control no. 109178360
> >
> > They are good for communicating with you as long as you
> > have received your product. Once you receive it you are
> > on your own.
>
> You should have dealt directly with Panasonic because it was their rebate.

I have and thought I explained it pretty clearly...
Apparently I didnt...

bozak

Jan 20, 2004, 12:03:18 PM1/20/04
Jeff Shoaf <jeffshoaf-@-alltel.net> wrote in message news:<Xns94759C817EE61j...@63.223.5.95>...

Diagree with me all you want. It doesnt make what I said not
true.

bozak

Jan 20, 2004, 12:05:43 PM1/20/04
"Duncan" <dm...@pollara.ca> wrote in message news:<Wp_Ob.15206$7JB1...@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>...

> They're the best online sales organization in photography in North
> America...they really know they're stuff and they deliver...no bull.

What they delivered me was a product I didn't pay for and refuse to
even contact me about it.

I paid for a Panasonic dmr-e100hs, I received a dmr-e100h. Their seems
to be no difference, but I would like them to at least call me back
an affirm it. Not to mention send me the rebate form like I ask..

bozak

Jan 20, 2004, 12:07:40 PM1/20/04
"Joseph Meehan" <sligojo...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<ek0Pb.13038$372....@fe1.columbus.rr.com>...

> Maybe if you had written that you had a problem, presented the facts and
> asked what you might be able to do to correct the problem, you would have
> received a much warmer response.

What are you talking about? I did and got NO response.

Mike

Jan 20, 2004, 1:46:34 PM1/20/04

"bozak" <bo...@onebox.com> wrote in message

I'm willing to bet if you check the internet you will find both Panasonic
units along with a description of each.
Wouldn't it be funny if you received a more expensive unit at the price of
the lower cost one.

Stephen H. Westin

Jan 20, 2004, 5:16:52 PM1/20/04

Then order from Cambridge Camera next time :).

--
-Stephen H. Westin

gr

Jan 20, 2004, 5:29:17 PM1/20/04
"bozak" <bo...@onebox.com> wrote

> B&H is full of shit... The problem is they have not responded back in
> kind in any fashion. If thats what you call great customer service,
> so be it.

Yeah, I'm not quite sure why some people seem to have a hero-worship thing
going with B&H. From the dealings I've had with them, they seem to be a good
company to deal with as long as nothing goes wrong with your order. If you
have a problem, their customer service is nothing to write home about.
They're curt and unhelpful, even if you do manage to get a response.

They're not out to rip you off, but neither are they out to do you any
favours. One thing I don't like about their policy is that they ship used
stuff as new. (Okay, "used" in the sense that it's been used as a display
model or is a customer-return.) I've had fingerprints on a lens and broken
seals, for example. Nothing damaging that would cause me to return the item,
but they should be clear that you won't necessarily get a factory-sealed
unit.

Overall, I'd rate them pretty average as far as mail-order companies go. I
think people tend to overrate them because their selection is so good.
However, it's easy to overrate a company if nothing goes wrong with your
order and you don't have to deal with their service. I've rated them very
high myself, until a couple of my orders had problems (which I eventually
gave up on, because it wasn't worth my time).

Jeff Shoaf

Jan 20, 2004, 6:35:49 PM1/20/04
bo...@onebox.com (bozak) wrote in

>> I'll have to disagree with you.
>
> Diagree with me all you want. It doesnt make what I said not
> true.

I have no doubt that the events that you've described occurred as you
described them. What I disagreed with you about was your expectations and
conclusions.

Victor Falkteg

Jan 20, 2004, 8:45:33 PM1/20/04
I do not know about your case.
But !!!!
I have bought some camera equipment from B&H and got them sent to my address
in Europe. I have been talking with them over the phone and over e-mail.
My experience is that B&H maybe is the best source of photographic
equipment, not in USA, but in the world.
The reasons are:
They are very helpfull and kind.
They have almost everything you can need.
The shipping is fast and resonably priced.

I recomend everyone in need of a professional source of photographic
equipment to call or mail B&H.

Victor Falkteg

Randy Stewart

Jan 20, 2004, 11:15:56 PM1/20/04

"gr" <grSPAMimr...@playground.net> wrote in message

Exactly my experience with B&H. Two orders misfilled in a row. Went through
hell getting any service to corect their errors and get them back the
products they mis-shipping. In theend, they stuck me with the shipping
charges to return their products, although they promised to reimburse.

The Moral: every store looks good until something goes wrong. I gave B&H
two bites of my apple, and then I ved back ot Adorama, even though their
selection s sometimes less helpful. No problems since then.

RS

P.S. "Hell" as used above is defined as being left on hold for 30 minutes,
then having someone pick up and drop the receiver to cut off the line.
[Several times]

Ray

Jan 21, 2004, 12:06:55 AM1/21/04
I believe the only difference is the color. The HS is silver and the H is
black. Other than that they are the same products.

"bozak" <bo...@onebox.com> wrote in message

Ray

Jan 21, 2004, 12:11:55 AM1/21/04
But i could be wrong. i have an e80h and it is silver so might not be the
reason one is an S and one an H.
"Ray" <vze2995...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Frank Pittel

Jan 21, 2004, 12:55:34 AM1/21/04
In rec.photo.equipment.medium-format bozak <bo...@onebox.com> wrote:
: "Duncan" <dm...@pollara.ca> wrote in message news:<Wp_Ob.15206$7JB1...@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>...

If you didn't get what you paid for send it back.

On another note don't think your little temper tantrum is going to cost
B&H any business. While I have issues with B&H I can't think of to many times
that I've had problems with an order. When I have they always corrected the problem
quickly. If you check on this and other newgroups you'll find that my experiences with
them are the norm. I've bought from them before and will do so again. Your snit
isn't going to change my opinion of them or the opinions of any others.

-------------------
f...@deepthought.com

gr

Jan 21, 2004, 7:41:43 AM1/21/04
"Victor Falkteg" <fal...@brevet.nu> wrote

> The reasons are:
> They are very helpfull and kind.

LOL. Then you've never had to deal with their customer service if you have a
problem with your order. They've certainly got the New York attitude!

> They have almost everything you can need.

Agreed.

> The shipping is fast and resonably priced.

I've found the shipping extremely variable. Sometimes they'll ship it out
fast, other times they seem to wait forever for no apparent reason. That can
be annoying if you've paid for 2 day delivery, but don't get it for a couple
of weeks because they're sitting on the order.

They're extremely unhelpful for anything that isn't exactly part of their
process, and that's if you can even get hold of them at all (post sale). I'm
not sure if the service guys are just dumb, overworked, or lazy. Probably
some combo of the 3.

> I recomend everyone in need of a professional source of photographic
> equipment to call or mail B&H.

What are you, their poster boy? Sheesh!

Dan Sullivan

Jan 21, 2004, 8:33:29 AM1/21/04

> "Victor Falkteg" <fal...@brevet.nu> wrote
> > The reasons are:
> > They are very helpfull and kind.
>
> LOL. Then you've never had to deal with their customer service if you have
> problem with your order. They've certainly got the New York attitude!

FYI the "New York" attitude is what made B&H the preeminent photo store in
the world.

> > They have almost everything you can need.
>
> Agreed.
>
> > The shipping is fast and resonably priced.
>
> I've found the shipping extremely variable. Sometimes they'll ship it out
> fast, other times they seem to wait forever for no apparent reason. That
can
> be annoying if you've paid for 2 day delivery, but don't get it for a
couple
> of weeks because they're sitting on the order.

Maybe they ran out of stock and had to wait for a new shipment to come in.

It happens.

> They're extremely unhelpful for anything that isn't exactly part of their
> process, and that's if you can even get hold of them at all (post sale).
I'm
> not sure if the service guys are just dumb, overworked, or lazy. Probably
> some combo of the 3.

I'm willing to bet that most customer service problems at B&H are handled
quickly and properly.

> > I recomend everyone in need of a professional source of photographic
> > equipment to call or mail B&H.
>
> What are you, their poster boy? Sheesh!

When B&H and a few other stores are the exception to the rule (no bait and
switch, no pushing of over-priced accessories, no inflated shipping and
insurance charges, AND most of the time they have the item in stock), what's
the problem about letting other people know what you've found?

Have fun, Dan Sullivan

bozak

Jan 21, 2004, 11:53:10 AM1/21/04
"Randy Stewart" <ran...@pacifier.com> wrote in message news:<100rv7f...@corp.supernews.com>...

Exactly... This same thing happened to me. I'm guessing they do enough
business to the point that customer service is not a concern of theirs.

bozak

Jan 21, 2004, 12:01:29 PM1/21/04
"Ray" <vze2995...@verizon.net> wrote in message news:<PNnPb.2652$ro4...@nwrdny02.gnilink.net>...
> I believe the only difference is the color. The HS is silver and the H is
> black. Other than that they are the same products.

I have the H and it is silver also.
It appears that their isn't any difference.
Yet I am not positive of that as of yet.

Dan Sullivan

Jan 21, 2004, 12:04:37 PM1/21/04

"bozak" <bo...@onebox.com> wrote in message

Let's see... B&H probably does well over a million a day in business... the
number of daily sales must be staggering... and we have TWO people who've
had a bad experience with their customer service.

I'm underwhelmed.

B&H's business plan is to get customers and KEEP them as customers.

"I'm guessing they do enough business to the point that customer service is
not a concern of theirs."

B&H didn't get to where they are by NOT taking care of their customers.

IOW there'd be more than TWO of you complaining.

Dan Sullivan

bozak

Jan 21, 2004, 12:05:26 PM1/21/04
Frank Pittel <f...@warlock.deepthought.com> wrote in message news:<XqKdnag5tcf...@giganews.com>...

My snit? Please do order from them, I could care less. But to say this
wont change anyone elses opinion is moronic. Oh maybe you do think
for the rest of the world.

I bought from B&H because of what I read in these types of forums
you moron. You think others dont do so as well?

Dan Sullivan

Jan 21, 2004, 12:27:27 PM1/21/04

"bozak" <bo...@onebox.com> wrote in message

Let's see... you've got two of these DVD burners.

You wouldn't own a camera store and be breaking stones because B&H is your
biggest competitor?

bozak

Jan 21, 2004, 12:28:14 PM1/21/04
"Victor Falkteg" <fal...@brevet.nu> wrote in message news:<buklrs$4v4$1...@green.tninet.se>...

> I do not know about your case.
> But !!!!
> I have bought some camera equipment from B&H and got them sent to my address
> in Europe. I have been talking with them over the phone and over e-mail.
> My experience is that B&H maybe is the best source of photographic
> equipment, not in USA, but in the world.
> The reasons are:
> They are very helpfull and kind.
> They have almost everything you can need.
> The shipping is fast and resonably priced.
>
> I recomend everyone in need of a professional source of photographic
> equipment to call or mail B&H.
>
> Victor Falkteg

These types of groupie posts were not paid attention to me
when researching where to buy if from. I wish i had paid
attention to them.

Or does this guy work for them. Funny the main thing that
made me buy from B&H was that when somebody said something
bad about them on the net they were quick to follow up
and discredit the person who said it. I guess you cant
discredit the truth.

bozak

Jan 21, 2004, 12:30:00 PM1/21/04
Jeff Shoaf <jeffshoaf-@-alltel.net> wrote in message news:<Xns9476BD005F9F5j...@63.223.5.95>...

Wow i thought everyone would expect a company that they purchased
goods from to respond back to them once they had an issue.
Damn, wrong again.

bozak

Jan 21, 2004, 12:32:22 PM1/21/04
"Mike" <ne...@earthdink.net> wrote in message news:<eIePb.20705$zj7....@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...

> "bozak" <bo...@onebox.com> wrote in message
> > "Duncan" <dm...@pollara.ca> wrote in message
> > > They're the best online sales organization in photography in North
> > > America...they really know they're stuff and they deliver...no bull.
> >
> > What they delivered me was a product I didn't pay for and refuse to
> > even contact me about it.
> >
> > I paid for a Panasonic dmr-e100hs, I received a dmr-e100h. Their seems
> > to be no difference, but I would like them to at least call me back
> > an affirm it. Not to mention send me the rebate form like I ask..
>
> I'm willing to bet if you check the internet you will find both Panasonic
> units along with a description of each.

Description seems to be the same.

> Wouldn't it be funny if you received a more expensive unit at the price of
> the lower cost one.

You mean if they sent me something that cost ten times as much by accident?
You think they would want me to call them back if that happened?

I bet you do.

bozak

Jan 21, 2004, 12:33:16 PM1/21/04
"A Good Joe" <fin...@lickin-good.com> wrote in message news:<1b1Pb.68613$I05.1...@twister.tampabay.rr.com>...
> Why didn't you print out the rebate form from the website in the first
> place. You obviously knew you were going to purchase the recorder - why wait
> to order then go get the rebate form?

What does this have to do with their poor customer service?

Dan Sullivan

Jan 21, 2004, 12:45:25 PM1/21/04

"bozak" <bo...@onebox.com> wrote in message

Because everything from the point where you failed to print out the rebate
until now demonstrates that you are a horse's...

well let's get some facts straight before I finish that phrase.

When did you order the DVD unit?

When did you receive the DVD unit?

When did the Panasonic's rebate start?

When did Panasonic's rebate end?

When did you decide to start filling out Panasonic's rebate form?

Was this before the rebate ended, and rather than print out Panasonic's
rebate form from their website you contacted B&H and asked that they send
you a copy.

Or was the time limit on the rebate over and the form no longer on the
internet????

PTRAVEL

Jan 21, 2004, 1:02:09 PM1/21/04
bo...@onebox.com (bozak) wrote in message news:<6512dae1.04012...@posting.google.com>...
> "PTRAVEL" <ptravel8...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<bui3qm$hrdfa$1...@ID-101118.news.uni-berlin.de>...

> > " bozak" <bo...@mail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Well, let's see. . .
> >
> > You're mad at B&H because they took down a rebate form after the promotion
> > ended, and won't send you another.
>
> they never sent me the first one...

They had no obligation to do so.

> > You must be kidding.
>
> apparently i must not be...
> >
> > Incidently, both in my personal experience, and after buying many, many
> > thousands of dollars worth of gear, and in the experiences of those who
> > bought from them and reported on the internet, B&H is the unquestioned
> > leader in customer service, ethical deal and business integrity.

> B&H is full of shit... The problem is they have not responded back in
> kind in any fashion. If thats what you call great customer service,
> so be it.

I don't believe you've called them. I've had the odd problem, e.g.
needing an RMA, etc. They always answered the phone promptly and
provided the help that I needed. Since your experience directly
contradicts my own, as well as the reported experiences of hundred, if
not thousands, of others, I don't give you credibility, particularly
since I think your demand is unreasonable.

B&H is the best mail-order (and walk in) photography gear retailer in
the world. Period.

A Good Joe

Jan 21, 2004, 1:46:34 PM1/21/04
Plenty, the customer is supposed to take advantage of rebate forms offered
online by printing them out. If the form is not there after the closing date
of the rebate it is not the fault of the company selling the product where
the coupon was offered whether or not the customer took adavntage and
printed out, or saved that coupon.

B&H have no responsibilities to this customer for a rebate that was offered
by link on their website to the manufacturer coupon at the manufacturer's
website. If the manufacturer took down that coupon on the specified closing
date it is not up to B&H to make ammends to the customer for the lack of
access to the rebate coupon, nor is it their responsibility to continue to
spend valuable business time listening to the whines and cries of a customer
who cannot take responsibility for his own actions, or lack of action in
this case.

If it weren't for the stupid credo - "the customer is always right" no one
would be talking about this at all. The truth of the matter is "the customer
is NOT always right" and unfortunately a business cannot just tell that
customer this simple truth. It's not like it was when you could scream,
stamp your feet, and throw a temper tantrum to get momma and daddy to give
you your way anymore. You can't always get what you want in the real world.
Live with it! Take responsibility for once, and stop placing blame while
attempting to make company's like B&H look like they have such bad customer
service.

Crownfield

Jan 21, 2004, 1:48:54 PM1/21/04

if you spent 1/1000th the time
finding out what the difference is
that you spent whining here, you would have the answer.

Crownfield

Jan 21, 2004, 1:51:51 PM1/21/04
bozak wrote:

> My snit? Please do order from them, I could care less. But to say this
> wont change anyone elses opinion is moronic. Oh maybe you do think
> for the rest of the world.
>
> I bought from B&H because of what I read in these types of forums
> you moron. You think others dont do so as well?

they do not pay attention to a whiner.

FLY135

Jan 21, 2004, 2:02:27 PM1/21/04

> Plenty, the customer is supposed to take advantage of rebate forms offered
> online by printing them out. If the form is not there after the closing
date
> of the rebate it is not the fault of the company selling the product where
> the coupon was offered whether or not the customer took adavntage and
> printed out, or saved that coupon.

I think a reasonable time frame for a company wanting to provide good
service would be the "postmark by" date for submission.

Jan 21, 2004, 3:34:59 PM1/21/04

I've had nothing but very fine service from B&H. Other than being a bit
too "New York City" on the phone, they have been very good with customer
care.

Victor Falkteg

Jan 21, 2004, 4:15:16 PM1/21/04
To know the truth you should listen to different opinions and then use your
brain.

And...

If somebody has the right to write about bad experience, then why shouldn't
others have the right to write about their experineces?

Or is it fashionable to only see the bad things about some specific photo
stores?

Or are you Mr. Bozak owner of another photo store that feels the competition
from B&H to hard to take?

Greetings

Victor

gr

Jan 21, 2004, 5:05:40 PM1/21/04
"Dan Sullivan" <dsul...@optonline.net> wrote

> Let's see... B&H probably does well over a million a day in business...
the
> number of daily sales must be staggering... and we have TWO people who've
> had a bad experience with their customer service.
>
> I'm underwhelmed.

So am I! You need a serious course in logic, buddy!

gr

Jan 21, 2004, 5:11:57 PM1/21/04
"A Good Joe" <fin...@lickin-good.com> wrote

> B&H have no responsibilities to this customer for a rebate that was
offered
> by link on their website to the manufacturer coupon at the manufacturer's
> website.

You are correct. B&H has every right to tell him to go to hell. They've
apparently done just that. However, that's not the point. It would take all
of 2 minutes for B&H to help this guy out. The point is that they couldn't
care less about helping him. That's poor customer service. It's well within
B&H's right to ignore him, but it's still poor customer service.

Check out resellerratings.com. You'll see that B&H ratings have been
declining. They may have provided good service in the past, but that level
of service seems to be deteriorating.

PTRAVEL

Jan 21, 2004, 5:35:37 PM1/21/04

"gr" <grSPAMimr...@playground.net> wrote in message

Or, more likely, it means the number of people posting complaints has gone
up, which is a whole different thing. People complain at
resellerratings.com for two reasons: to warn others and to vent their
frustration. Complainers will always post there. On the other hand, people
with positive experiences post most often about relatively unknown
vendors -- it's a way of saying, "hey, I was pleasantly surprised, here's a
vendor to remember." B&H is so well known (and, specifically, well-known
for its ethics and integrity) that most of its satisfied customers don't
post. I use resellerratings.com all the time to check out vendors, and I've
bought many thousands of dollars worth of stuff from B&H and never had
anything but a positive experience, but I don't post about them at
resellerratings. Maybe I should.

gr

Jan 21, 2004, 5:40:22 PM1/21/04
"PTRAVEL" <ptravel8...@yahoo.com> wrote

> > You are correct. B&H has every right to tell him to go to hell. They've
> > apparently done just that. However, that's not the point. It would take
> all
> > of 2 minutes for B&H to help this guy out. The point is that they
couldn't
> > care less about helping him. That's poor customer service. It's well
> within
> > B&H's right to ignore him, but it's still poor customer service.
> >
> > Check out resellerratings.com. You'll see that B&H ratings have been
> > declining. They may have provided good service in the past, but that
level
> > of service seems to be deteriorating.
>
> Or, more likely, it means the number of people posting complaints has gone
> up, which is a whole different thing. People complain at
> resellerratings.com for two reasons: to warn others and to vent their
> frustration. Complainers will always post there.

Your logic is flawed. B&H is the same big company it was a year ago. If the
number of whiners has gone up, it's probably because there's a higher
percentage of people getting screwed by B&H than there was a year ago. Your
argument is moot.

PTRAVEL

Jan 21, 2004, 5:43:28 PM1/21/04

"gr" <grSPAMimr...@playground.net> wrote in message

On the contrary, B&H gets bigger every year, at least from everything I've
read. Do you evidence to the contrary?

I've also _never_ heard of any instance of someone "getting screwed" by B&H,
i.e. B&H taking advantage, engaging in fraudulent conduct, etc. Every
complaint I've ever heard has been liked the one in this thread, which is to
say baseless.

Incidently, you need to look up the word "moot." You've misused it.

Randy Rhine

Jan 21, 2004, 6:52:21 PM1/21/04
My experience with B&H has overall been good...until...the last order
that I got a couple of weeks ago. An item was damaged. It was a roll of
seamless paper. It had been crushed, maybe in transit although the box
was intact, and only about half of it was usable. At $20, it wasn't
worth the hassle of sending it back. And..I needed it...the local stores
were out. So I used their website to let them know of the problem and
suggested that they give me a credit or refund for half the cost. I even
offered to email a pic of the damage. Their website says that I should
expect a response within 24 hoours. It's been a week now...and no word.
It really doesn't bother me that they don't want to refund without
getting anything back. But being ignored DOES bother me. I'm not going
to stop dealing with them just because of this one instance, but will
look around at others vendors where in the past I would automatically
have gone to B&H.

rr

Jeff Shoaf

Jan 21, 2004, 8:40:37 PM1/21/04

> Jeff Shoaf <jeffshoaf-@-alltel.net> wrote in message
>> bo...@onebox.com (bozak) wrote in

>> > Diagree with me all you want. It doesnt make what I said not
>> > true.
>> >

>> I have no doubt that the events that you've described occurred as you
>> described them. What I disagreed with you about was your expectations
>> and conclusions.
>
> Wow i thought everyone would expect a company that they purchased
> goods from to respond back to them once they had an issue.
> Damn, wrong again.

In my original post, I related my experience with a purchase and exchange
of a fairly expensive lens. I mentioned that it took a while for me to get
through to customer service and that I assumed it was due to the time of
year (post holidays). Once I got through, the service I received was
excellent.

Frank Pittel

Jan 21, 2004, 9:14:00 PM1/21/04
In rec.photo.equipment.medium-format bozak <bo...@onebox.com> wrote:
: "Victor Falkteg" <fal...@brevet.nu> wrote in message news:<buklrs$4v4$1...@green.tninet.se>...

: > I do not know about your case.
: > But !!!!
: > I have bought some camera equipment from B&H and got them sent to my address
: > in Europe. I have been talking with them over the phone and over e-mail.
: > My experience is that B&H maybe is the best source of photographic
: > equipment, not in USA, but in the world.
: > The reasons are:
: > They are very helpfull and kind.
: > They have almost everything you can need.
: > The shipping is fast and resonably priced.
: >
: > I recomend everyone in need of a professional source of photographic
: > equipment to call or mail B&H.
: >
: > Victor Falkteg

: These types of groupie posts were not paid attention to me
: when researching where to buy if from. I wish i had paid
: attention to them.

The type of snit that you're throwing get ignored far more then testimonials.
What doesn't get ignored is a redundancy of posts. Even if a lot more people complain
tantrums like the one that you pitched have little to no credibility.

: Or does this guy work for them. Funny the main thing that

: > >
: > >
: > >
: > >

-------------------
f...@deepthought.com

Frank Pittel

Jan 21, 2004, 9:16:12 PM1/21/04
In rec.photo.equipment.medium-format gr <grSPAMimr...@playground.net> wrote:
: "Victor Falkteg" <fal...@brevet.nu> wrote
: > The reasons are:
: > They are very helpfull and kind.

: LOL. Then you've never had to deal with their customer service if you have a
: problem with your order. They've certainly got the New York attitude!

I've delt with their service department and have always gotten my problem resolved.
Then again I grew up in Chicago and now work in the city and have the Chicago attitude! :-)

: > They have almost everything you can need.

: Agreed.

: > The shipping is fast and resonably priced.

: I've found the shipping extremely variable. Sometimes they'll ship it out
: fast, other times they seem to wait forever for no apparent reason. That can
: be annoying if you've paid for 2 day delivery, but don't get it for a couple
: of weeks because they're sitting on the order.

: They're extremely unhelpful for anything that isn't exactly part of their
: process, and that's if you can even get hold of them at all (post sale). I'm
: not sure if the service guys are just dumb, overworked, or lazy. Probably
: some combo of the 3.

: >
: > I recomend everyone in need of a professional source of photographic
: > equipment to call or mail B&H.

: What are you, their poster boy? Sheesh!

Dennis Vogel

Jan 21, 2004, 10:33:01 PM1/21/04
"bozak" <bo...@onebox.com> wrote in message
> jdu...@vorel.com (Product developer) wrote in message
> > I am regular client of B and H and have never had a problem with them.
>
> lucky you...

He's not the only one.

Dennis Vogel

Dennis Vogel

Jan 21, 2004, 10:46:02 PM1/21/04
"bozak" <bo...@onebox.com> wrote in message
> "Duncan" <dm...@pollara.ca> wrote in message
> > They're the best online sales organization in photography in North
> > America...they really know they're stuff and they deliver...no bull.
>
> What they delivered me was a product I didn't pay for and refuse to
> even contact me about it.
>
> I paid for a Panasonic dmr-e100hs, I received a dmr-e100h. Their seems
> to be no difference, but I would like them to at least call me back
> an affirm it. Not to mention send me the rebate form like I ask..

Just out of curiosity, how much of a rebate are we
talking here? An how much did you pay for the
DVD unit? There's a lot of squawking going on
here. I sure hope we're spending this much time
for hundreds of dollars.

Dennis Vogel

Frank Pittel

Jan 21, 2004, 11:03:28 PM1/21/04
In rec.photo.equipment.medium-format bozak <bo...@onebox.com> wrote:
: Frank Pittel <f...@warlock.deepthought.com> wrote in message news:<XqKdnag5tcf...@giganews.com>...

Me thinks you value your opinion far to highly. I'd also like to take a moment to explain
to you and others that seem to think that anytime you have a problem with a vendor, supplier,
etc that the thing to do is go to the Usenet and cross post to large number of semi-related
newsgroups venting about your experiences in the fantasy that internet will stop buying from
them is both stupid and annoying.

Maybe if you acted in a reasonable manner and wrote about your experience in a rational and
coherent manner people would care.

Frank Pittel

Jan 21, 2004, 11:10:54 PM1/21/04
In rec.photo.equipment.medium-format bozak <bo...@onebox.com> wrote:
: "Mike" <ne...@earthdink.net> wrote in message news:<eIePb.20705$zj7....@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...

If you were an honest person you would. For the record I have on many occasions corrected
cashiers at stores when I found them both over and under charging me. A woman I once
had the honour of working with a while back used to have a sign on the wall of her cube
that read:

"Integraty is doing the right thing when no one would notice."

Are you a person of integraty?

: I bet you do.

I hope you would but I doubt you would. Ask yourself if B&H or any company or store noticed
that they overcharged you for an item. Should they make it right even if you don't notice?

Frank Pittel

Jan 22, 2004, 1:53:57 AM1/22/04
In rec.photo.equipment.medium-format PTRAVEL <ptr...@ruyitang.com> wrote:
: bo...@onebox.com (bozak) wrote in message news:<6512dae1.04012...@posting.google.com>...

They're not any better in my never humble opinion then Adorama or Calumet photo.
While Calumet doesn't for the most part compete with either Adorama or B&H in price.
They more then make up for it in service and friendly knowledgable staff. I've found
over the years that Calumet has become the place I go to first when looking for something.

PTRAVEL

Jan 22, 2004, 3:14:23 AM1/22/04

"Frank Pittel" <f...@warlock.deepthought.com> wrote in message

I agree that Adorama is up there, too. I've bought a bit from them, though
not as much as B&H. Never had any problems, and customer service was always
prompt and easy to deal with. I only know Calumet by reputation -- I don't
have any personal experience with them.

> While Calumet doesn't for the most part compete with either Adorama or B&H
in price.
> They more then make up for it in service and friendly knowledgable staff.
I've found
> over the years that Calumet has become the place I go to first when
looking for something.

Is Calumet the same outfit that used to make large format bellows cameras?
I remember the name from when I first started in photography back in the
60s.

gr

Jan 22, 2004, 7:20:30 AM1/22/04
"PTRAVEL" <ptravel8...@yahoo.com> wrote

> > Your logic is flawed. B&H is the same big company it was a year ago. If
> the
> > number of whiners has gone up, it's probably because there's a higher
> > percentage of people getting screwed by B&H than there was a year ago.
> Your
> > argument is moot.
>
> On the contrary, B&H gets bigger every year, at least from everything I've
> read. Do you evidence to the contrary?

They were huge last year, they are huge this year. What's your point?

> I've also _never_ heard of any instance of someone "getting screwed" by
B&H,
> i.e. B&H taking advantage, engaging in fraudulent conduct, etc.

Check out the Better Business Bureau. There are a few instances of people
getting screwed, although I admit it's certainly not very many considering
the size of the business. That was a poor choice of wording on my part. I
don't think B&H engages in illegal practises. B&H has very poor post-sale
customer service, and generally doesn't care about the customer and will
deny any wrong-doing when there is a problem. Well, at least some of the
time anyway.

> Every
> complaint I've ever heard has been liked the one in this thread, which is
> say baseless.

That's simply ridiculous. If you close your eyes, of course you're going to
draw the same conclusion over and over. Look at some of the rating sites
like resellerratings.com. There's plenty of valid complaints that customers
have had with them.

This thread is based on a complaint of dubious value. I simply see it as a
failure of B&H to do something very simple to help out a customer. Any
company that values customer service would have helped this guy out.

> Incidently, you need to look up the word "moot." You've misused it.

Very well, your argument is based on a false premise. Incidentally, you
spelled "incidently" wrong.

Dan Sullivan

Jan 22, 2004, 8:16:40 AM1/22/04

"gr" <grSPAMimr...@playground.net> wrote in message

I'm listening...

Jytzel

Jan 22, 2004, 8:17:15 AM1/22/04
Sorry to say that but I have found that most photo suppliers in the US
have very bad customer service. KEH is the best I have tried but the
rest, inc. B&H, the service is less than satisfactory.

J.

Frank Pittel

Jan 22, 2004, 8:43:43 AM1/22/04
In rec.photo.equipment.medium-format PTRAVEL <ptr...@ruyitang.com> wrote:

: "Frank Pittel" <f...@warlock.deepthought.com> wrote in message

Although Calumet has higher pricing for most things then Adorama or B&H I find
that I prefer dealing with Calumet. Their reputation for sales support, service,
and fast delivery is well deserved. I don't buy much from B&H since I have a hard
time getting their web page to work at home.

: > While Calumet doesn't for the most part compete with either Adorama or B&H

: in price.
: > They more then make up for it in service and friendly knowledgable staff.
: I've found
: > over the years that Calumet has become the place I go to first when
: looking for something.

: Is Calumet the same outfit that used to make large format bellows cameras?
: I remember the name from when I first started in photography back in the
: 60s.

I don't know if they made the cameras themselves or had them made and put their
name on them, but they did sell a LF with their name on it. They sold huge numbers
of the cc400 series cameras. In fact I would recommend anyone looking to give LF
a try to go to Ebay and pick one of them up there.

PTRAVEL

Jan 22, 2004, 10:08:29 AM1/22/04

> "PTRAVEL" <ptravel8...@yahoo.com> wrote
> > >
> > > Your logic is flawed. B&H is the same big company it was a year ago.
If
> > the
> > > number of whiners has gone up, it's probably because there's a higher
> > > percentage of people getting screwed by B&H than there was a year ago.
> > Your
> > > argument is moot.
> >
> > On the contrary, B&H gets bigger every year, at least from everything
I've
> > read. Do you evidence to the contrary?
>
> They were huge last year, they are huge this year. What's your point?

Um . . . they're huger this year.

> > I've also _never_ heard of any instance of someone "getting screwed" by
> B&H,
> > i.e. B&H taking advantage, engaging in fraudulent conduct, etc.
>
> Check out the Better Business Bureau. There are a few instances of people
> getting screwed, although I admit it's certainly not very many considering
> the size of the business.

For any business that size, there will always be some customer who is
disgruntled. I don't believe they were screwed unless I hear the story
first hand. The OP in this thread claimed he was screwed -- he wasn't.

> That was a poor choice of wording on my part. I
> don't think B&H engages in illegal practises. B&H has very poor post-sale
> customer service, and generally doesn't care about the customer and will
> deny any wrong-doing when there is a problem.

And, again, not in my experience. I've called B&H customer service,
post-sale, on at least a dozen occassions. Sometimes it was to get a
tracking number for a shipment, on others to get an RMA. Once it was
because I was unhappy with the purchase decision that _I_ made, and wanted
to exchange the item for something else. Another time it was to find out
how long it would be 'til an out-of-stock item would be in.

Each time, my call was answered promptly, the person answering it was
knowledgeable (or was able to get someone who was), I was given accurate
information, and generally treated appropriately, which means courteously.
B&H is in New York, and it is staffed by New Yorkers. That means they talk
fast, are no-nonsense and may, to someone not used to the City, seem
brusque. I grew up in New York, so I'm used to it (and probably sound that
way myself).

> Well, at least some of the
> time anyway.
>
> > Every
> > complaint I've ever heard has been liked the one in this thread, which
is
> > say baseless.
>
> That's simply ridiculous. If you close your eyes, of course you're going
> draw the same conclusion over and over. Look at some of the rating sites
> like resellerratings.com. There's plenty of valid complaints that
customers
> have had with them.

I took a quick look, and I'll stand by what I said: I didn't see any valid
complaints.

> This thread is based on a complaint of dubious value. I simply see it as a
> failure of B&H to do something very simple to help out a customer. Any
> company that values customer service would have helped this guy out.

And that's an interesting point. B&H is a volume business. How far out of
their way do you think they should go in helping a one-time purchaser of an
inexpensive consumer camera? To solve his problem would have required
customer service to interface with whatever department maintains the website
AND whoever tracks rebates, etc. My inclination would have been to say,
"Sorry, no can do." My bet, though, is his request is bouncing around
between different departments and will eventually get handled (or, perhaps,
lost). The point, though, is his request is non-standard and, comes from
someone spending not a lot of money, and who is unlikely to spend more. Of
course, that doesn't mean he should be abused or taken advantage of, but he
wasn't. It does mean that B&H can't do everything for everyone who asks.
What they can do is what they promise: sell good merchandise at reasonable
prices, shipped promptly and backed by a store with integrity.

> > Incidently, you need to look up the word "moot." You've misused it.
>
> Very well, your argument is based on a false premise. Incidentally, you
> spelled "incidently" wrong.

A moot point is one that is arguable, not one that is wrong. And I'm sure
that there are a lot of typos in my posts -- I don't spell check and I type
fast.

bozak

Jan 22, 2004, 12:58:44 PM1/22/04
"Dan Sullivan" <dsul...@optonline.net> wrote in message news:<3EyPb.53800$OM2.13...@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>...

> "bozak" <bo...@onebox.com> wrote in message

> > Frank Pittel <f...@warlock.deepthought.com> wrote in message

> > > In rec.photo.equipment.medium-format bozak <bo...@onebox.com> wrote:
> > > : "Duncan" <dm...@pollara.ca> wrote in message
> > > : > They're the best online sales organization in photography in North
> > > : > America...they really know they're stuff and they deliver...no bull.
>
> > > : What they delivered me was a product I didn't pay for and refuse to
> > > : even contact me about it.
>
> > > : I paid for a Panasonic dmr-e100hs, I received a dmr-e100h. Their seems
> > > : to be no difference, but I would like them to at least call me back
> > > : an affirm it. Not to mention send me the rebate form like I ask..
> > >
> > > If you didn't get what you paid for send it back.
> > >
> > > On another note don't think your little temper tantrum is going to cost
> > > B&H any business. While I have issues with B&H I can't think of to many
> times
> > > that I've had problems with an order. When I have they always corrected
> the problem
> > > quickly. If you check on this and other newgroups you'll find that my
> experiences with
> > > them are the norm. I've bought from them before and will do so again.
> Your snit
> > > isn't going to change my opinion of them or the opinions of any others.
> >
> > My snit? Please do order from them, I could care less. But to say this
> > wont change anyone elses opinion is moronic. Oh maybe you do think
> > for the rest of the world.
> >
> > I bought from B&H because of what I read in these types of forums
> > you moron. You think others dont do so as well?
>
> Let's see... you've got two of these DVD burners.
>
> You wouldn't own a camera store and be breaking stones because B&H is your
> biggest competitor?

which is why i put up the control number on the purchase, right???
i live in south pasadena... i dont think any of the shops that are
their competition are in the los angeles area...

damn, b&h has their own cult... amazing...

bozak

Jan 22, 2004, 12:59:19 PM1/22/04
Crownfield <Crown...@cox.net> wrote in message news:<400ECA...@cox.net>...

but you do... thanx moron...

bozak

Jan 22, 2004, 1:06:42 PM1/22/04
"Victor Falkteg" <fal...@brevet.nu> wrote in message news:<bumqd8$701$1...@green.tninet.se>...

> To know the truth you should listen to different opinions and then use your
> brain.
>
> And...
>
> If somebody has the right to write about bad experience, then why shouldn't
> others have the right to write about their experineces?
>
> Or is it fashionable to only see the bad things about some specific photo
> stores?
>
> Or are you Mr. Bozak owner of another photo store that feels the competition
> from B&H to hard to take?

one thing i noticed about b&h when i was deciding where to buy the dvd
recorder was that they came online and explained what the problem was
with the customer service when they had a problem. you being a person who
cant figure out that i put their control number in my initial post proves
how moronic some of you B&H cultists are.

why is it out of all of the people that they cared to explain what the
problem was, they havent with mine?

i know, you wont be able to figure that out either...

bozak

Jan 22, 2004, 1:09:02 PM1/22/04
Frank Pittel <f...@warlock.deepthought.com> wrote in message news:<rcudnS1FBpB...@giganews.com>...

> In rec.photo.equipment.medium-format bozak <bo...@onebox.com> wrote:
> : "Victor Falkteg" <fal...@brevet.nu> wrote in message news:<buklrs$4v4$1...@green.tninet.se>...
> : > I do not know about your case.
> : > But !!!!
> : > I have bought some camera equipment from B&H and got them sent to my address
> : > in Europe. I have been talking with them over the phone and over e-mail.
> : > My experience is that B&H maybe is the best source of photographic
> : > equipment, not in USA, but in the world.
> : > The reasons are:
> : > They are very helpfull and kind.
> : > They have almost everything you can need.
> : > The shipping is fast and resonably priced.
> : >
> : > I recomend everyone in need of a professional source of photographic
> : > equipment to call or mail B&H.
> : >
> : > Victor Falkteg
>
> : These types of groupie posts were not paid attention to me
> : when researching where to buy if from. I wish i had paid
> : attention to them.
>
> The type of snit that you're throwing get ignored far more then testimonials.
> What doesn't get ignored is a redundancy of posts. Even if a lot more people complain
> tantrums like the one that you pitched have little to no credibility.

apparently i have plenty of credibility in your eyes...
just look at the number of posts in this thread that youve
responded too...

you look like a B&H cultist more than anything else...

why dont you just break out with the please please please dont
say anything bad about b&h even if it is the truth...

cant wait for you to respond to this noncredible post... lol...

bozak

Jan 22, 2004, 1:09:33 PM1/22/04
C <bogusa...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.01.21....@yahoo.com>...
> I've had nothing but very fine service from B&H. Other than being a bit
> too "New York City" on the phone, they have been very good with customer
> care.

good for you, i havent...

bozak

Jan 22, 2004, 1:09:34 PM1/22/04

bozak

Jan 22, 2004, 1:10:38 PM1/22/04
"Dennis Vogel" <dennisNO...@patNOSPAMmedia.net> wrote in message news:<bung9f$oqj$1...@ngspool-d02.news.aol.com>...

lucky for them, too bad for me and others who have participated
in this thread and havent...

bozak

Jan 22, 2004, 1:12:28 PM1/22/04
"PTRAVEL" <ptr...@ruyitang.com> wrote in message news:<NHRPb.4578$sW...@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com>...

> "gr" <grSPAMimr...@playground.net> wrote in message
> > "PTRAVEL" <ptravel8...@yahoo.com> wrote

> If
> the
> Your
> > >
> > > On the contrary, B&H gets bigger every year, at least from everything
> I've
> > > read. Do you evidence to the contrary?
> >
> > They were huge last year, they are huge this year. What's your point?
>

> Um . . . they're huger this year.
>

> > > I've also _never_ heard of any instance of someone "getting screwed" by
> B&H,
> > > i.e. B&H taking advantage, engaging in fraudulent conduct, etc.
> >
> > Check out the Better Business Bureau. There are a few instances of people
> > getting screwed, although I admit it's certainly not very many considering
> > the size of the business.
>
> For any business that size, there will always be some customer who is
> disgruntled. I don't believe they were screwed unless I hear the story
> first hand. The OP in this thread claimed he was screwed -- he wasn't.

another person who thinks a company you bought product from who refuses
to call you back isnt getting screwed...

whew...

another b&h cultist i see...

bozak

Jan 22, 2004, 1:15:33 PM1/22/04
"Dan Sullivan" <dsul...@optonline.net> wrote in message news:<FiyPb.53785$OM2.13...@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>...

> "bozak" <bo...@onebox.com> wrote in message
> > "Randy Stewart" <ran...@pacifier.com> wrote in message

> > > "gr" <grSPAMimr...@playground.net> wrote in message

> in

> thing
> good
> you

> used
> display
> broken
> item,
> factory-sealed

> go. I
> your
> very
> eventually
> > > >

> > > Exactly my experience with B&H. Two orders misfilled in a row. Went
> through
> > > hell getting any service to corect their errors and get them back the
> > > products they mis-shipping. In theend, they stuck me with the shipping
> > > charges to return their products, although they promised to reimburse.
> > >
> > > The Moral: every store looks good until something goes wrong. I gave
> B&H
> > > two bites of my apple, and then I ved back ot Adorama, even though their
> > > selection s sometimes less helpful. No problems since then.
> > >
> > > RS
> > >
> > > P.S. "Hell" as used above is defined as being left on hold for 30
> minutes,
> > > then having someone pick up and drop the receiver to cut off the line.
> > > [Several times]
> >
> > Exactly... This same thing happened to me. I'm guessing they do enough
> > business to the point that customer service is not a concern of theirs.

> Let's see... B&H probably does well over a million a day in business... the
> number of daily sales must be staggering... and we have TWO people who've
> had a bad experience with their customer service.

you have had two that have posted about it... or in your mind because
only two people posted about it means that everybody else is happy???

probably does to you...

> I'm underwhelmed.

you wouldnt be if you were the person with the problem...

> B&H's business plan is to get customers and KEEP them as customers.

yeah thats why i purchased my sony external dvd recorder yesterday for
my laptop from another company...

> "I'm guessing they do enough business to the point that customer service is
> not a concern of theirs."
>
> B&H didn't get to where they are by NOT taking care of their customers.

they didnt take care of this one...

> IOW there'd be more than TWO of you complaining.

nice to see elementary school logic isnt just a staple of
sports newsgroups...

bozak

Jan 22, 2004, 1:25:45 PM1/22/04
Frank Pittel <f...@warlock.deepthought.com> wrote in message news:<rcudnS1FBpB...@giganews.com>...
> In rec.photo.equipment.medium-format bozak <bo...@onebox.com> wrote:
> : "Victor Falkteg" <fal...@brevet.nu> wrote in message news:<buklrs$4v4$1...@green.tninet.se>...
> : > I do not know about your case.
> : > But !!!!
> : > I have bought some camera equipment from B&H and got them sent to my address
> : > in Europe. I have been talking with them over the phone and over e-mail.
> : > My experience is that B&H maybe is the best source of photographic
> : > equipment, not in USA, but in the world.
> : > The reasons are:
> : > They are very helpfull and kind.
> : > They have almost everything you can need.
> : > The shipping is fast and resonably priced.
> : >
> : > I recomend everyone in need of a professional source of photographic
> : > equipment to call or mail B&H.
> : >
> : > Victor Falkteg
>
> : These types of groupie posts were not paid attention to me
> : when researching where to buy if from. I wish i had paid
> : attention to them.
>
> The type of snit that you're throwing get ignored far more then testimonials.
> What doesn't get ignored is a redundancy of posts. Even if a lot more people complain
> tantrums like the one that you pitched have little to no credibility.

i have plenty of credibility... just because i say you have no credibility
does it mean you have none? apparently i have enough credibility to make you
post over and over again about me not having credibility when i am being
nothing more than honest... who are you, george dumya bush??? just because
you say its so means its the truth??? i dont think so...

Crownfield

Jan 22, 2004, 1:28:45 PM1/22/04
bozak wrote:

> one thing i noticed about b&h when i was deciding where to buy the dvd
> recorder was that they came online and explained what the problem was
> with the customer service when they had a problem.
>
> why is it out of all of the people that they cared to explain what the
> problem was, they havent with mine?

did you try:
Henry Posner (70550...@CompuServe.COM)
or
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/email.html

???

david.mccall

Jan 22, 2004, 1:47:06 PM1/22/04
It seems to me that a a large number of people have had good luck
with B&H, but you haven't. What you need to figure out is what
was the difference between their interaction with the company and
yours? Either you just have bad luck, or you did something different
from what all these other people did.

Perhaps you should avoid using this company, if you are unable to
communicate with them effectively. None of us have any problem
with that. The problem here is that you come bargeing in here ranting
about a company that many have had great success with, expecting
that we should all boycot these folks at B&H. You have a right to
your opinion, and are certainly free to express it here, but don't
expect those of us that have experiance with the company, or have
read the many glowing reports, to not use B&H just because of
your inability to comunicate effectively with them. I'm not saying
that it is all your fault and that you are the only person to have had
bad experiances with B&H, but you do seem to be the exception,
rather than the rule. If your discussion here reflected that fact more
accurately, then you might get better help in solving your problem.

David

Dan Sullivan

Jan 22, 2004, 2:17:16 PM1/22/04

"bozak" <bo...@onebox.com> wrote in message

And that makes a difference how?

> i live in south pasadena... i dont think any of the shops that are
> their competition are in the los angeles area...

You'd be amazed how many camera stores view B&H as their biggest competitor
regardless of where they're located.

B&H is THE benchmark for price and availability... and service.

Dan Sullivan

Dan Sullivan

Jan 22, 2004, 3:01:29 PM1/22/04

Boo freakin hoo.

And I would have printed the rebate form from the internet the day I ordered
the DVD unit.

Not waited till after Panasonic took the rebate form off their website
because the promotion was over.

> > B&H's business plan is to get customers and KEEP them as customers.
>
> yeah thats why i purchased my sony external dvd recorder yesterday for
> my laptop from another company...

My condolences to the other company.

> > "I'm guessing they do enough business to the point that customer service
is
> > not a concern of theirs."
> >
> > B&H didn't get to where they are by NOT taking care of their customers.
>
> they didnt take care of this one...

So you start a thread that "B&H has the worst customer service on the
planet???"

A bit of an overstatement, don't you think?

> > IOW there'd be more than TWO of you complaining.
>
> nice to see elementary school logic isnt just a staple of
> sports newsgroups...

The logic isn't any more complicated than that.

You know I'm willing to bet that you didn't start to fill out the rebate
form till after the grace period (postmark by...) was over and you thought
Panasonic would make an exception if you complained that B&H didn't send you
the rebate form.

And that you emailed them three times and called them and they hung up on
you...

After all, why was the rebate form no longer on Panasonic's and B&H's
websites?

Because it was OVER!!!

Dan

PTRAVEL

Jan 22, 2004, 4:22:27 PM1/22/04

"bozak" <bo...@onebox.com> wrote in message

Hardly. The OP sent emails asking for a rebate form that (1) was maintained
on a website and (2) was expired. Do you think B&H has a "Department of
Things We No Longer Post But that People Might Want"? My experience was
that when I needed customer service from them _about things that are part of
the normal course of business_, i.e. when an item would be in stock, what a
good product for my purposes would be, returning a product that didn't work,
returning a product that didn't eet my needs, or getting double-billed
(happened once on an RMA), there was someone with immediate responsibility
who handled it promptly, efficiently and politely.

gr

Jan 22, 2004, 4:49:18 PM1/22/04
"david.mccall" <david.mcca...@comcast.net> wrote

> It seems to me that a a large number of people have had good luck
> with B&H, but you haven't. What you need to figure out is what
> was the difference between their interaction with the company and
> yours? Either you just have bad luck, or you did something different
> from what all these other people did.

I think most people are happy with B&H because they haven't had to deal with
any problems in an order. B&H probably does the pack & ship thing quite
well, and most orders arrive with no problems.

However, when there is a problem, good luck getting anyone from B&H to help
you. The only thing they're willing to do is have you return your order, at
your own expense, and you end up paying for shipping&handling both ways with
nothing to show for it.

If you want anything other than that, forget it. B&H will deny any
wrong-doing, regardless of how much proof you give them. And that's even if
they'll deal with you at all.

I've ordered stuff from B&H. Most of my orders went smoothly, with no
issues. I was very happy with them, and thought they were a great company.
That is, until I had a couple of problems. Then, I realized their customer
service sucks.

The most serious issue was a piece of electronics I received that was
clearly used. The package seals were broken, and it was missing batteries.
It wasn't really that serious an issue, because it worked fine and batteries
are cheap anyway. But I got very annoyed with B&H's lack of support. I
eventually just gave up, because it wasn't worth it. For such a minor issue,
they've lost a future customer (one which has spent almost $3000 with them,
and will probably spend that much more on equipment over the next 2-3
years).

Later, I found out B&H admits that they sell used equipment as new. (Used in
the sense that they're demo models or customer returns.) I don't think
they're up-front about that, but perhaps it's common practise.

It's kind of funny reading the complaints about B&H on the ratings sites. To
B&H's credit, they respond to most of the complaints. However, I think most
of it is just a form letter they use. Deny, deny, deny. Hey... at least
they're good at that! ;-)

Like I said before, I don't think B&H is a bad company, they just don't care
about service. Most of the time, you'll be perfectly happy with your order.
But that's true for most on-line companies. (I've never been deliberately
screwed by any on-line company yet.)

david.mccall

Jan 22, 2004, 6:30:08 PM1/22/04

> Hardly. The OP sent emails asking for a rebate form that (1) was
maintained
> on a website and (2) was expired. Do you think B&H has a "Department of
> Things We No Longer Post But that People Might Want"? My experience was
> that when I needed customer service from them _about things that are part
of
> the normal course of business_, i.e. when an item would be in stock, what
> good product for my purposes would be, returning a product that didn't
work,
> returning a product that didn't eet my needs, or getting double-billed
> (happened once on an RMA), there was someone with immediate responsibility
> who handled it promptly, efficiently and politely.

An interesting twist. Perhaps their support is bad when something comes up
that they don't have a predefined method of solution. In a company that big
how do you even find a copy of the expired rebate to send the guy?
The manufacturer may have had the same problem.

David

PTRAVEL

Jan 22, 2004, 6:42:43 PM1/22/04

"david.mccall" <david.mcca...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Exactly. Oddball requests like the OP's probably get bounced around from
person to person, i.e. Rebate Manager forwards it to Website Manager who
forwards it to Manufacturer Liason Manager, and so on. That's like judging
my law firm on how responsive we are to a request for canned goods for a
charity. Our office manager would forward the request to our partner in
charge who would forward it to our charitable donations partner, and so on.
None of it reflects on how good a law firm we are, just as the OP's
experience has little to do with how well B&H does what it's supposed to do,
i.e. sell and ship photo gear.

> The manufacturer may have had the same problem.

Wouldn't surprise me at all.

> David

Frank Pittel

Jan 22, 2004, 11:17:34 PM1/22/04
In rec.photo.equipment.35mm bozak <bo...@onebox.com> wrote:
: Frank Pittel <f...@warlock.deepthought.com> wrote in message news:<rcudnS1FBpB...@giganews.com>...

Now you're just talking stupid.

Frank ess

Jan 22, 2004, 11:31:46 PM1/22/04

shhhh

Frank Pittel

Jan 22, 2004, 11:50:54 PM1/22/04
[...]

: > : >
: > : > I recomend everyone in need of a professional source of photographic
: > : > equipment to call or mail B&H.
: > : >
: > : > Victor Falkteg
: >
: > : These types of groupie posts were not paid attention to me
: > : when researching where to buy if from. I wish i had paid
: > : attention to them.
: >
: > The type of snit that you're throwing get ignored far more then testimonials.
: > What doesn't get ignored is a redundancy of posts. Even if a lot more people complain
: > tantrums like the one that you pitched have little to no credibility.

: apparently i have plenty of credibility in your eyes...
: just look at the number of posts in this thread that youve
: responded too...

I was trying to stop you from making a fool out of yourself. It appears that you are bound
and determined to prove to the world that you're a moron.

: you look like a B&H cultist more than anything else...

You've spent more money at B&H in the last couple of months then I spent with them
in the last year. Any more "cultists" like and they're go out of business. What I in
fact am is a person that has bought from them and have been satisfied with their service,
prices and delivery.

: why dont you just break out with the please please please dont

: say anything bad about b&h even if it is the truth...

You're talking stupid.

: cant wait for you to respond to this noncredible post... lol...

I hope this was worth the wait.

: >
: > : Or does this guy work for them. Funny the main thing that

: > : > >
: > : > >

Frank Pittel

Jan 22, 2004, 11:54:07 PM1/22/04
In rec.photo.equipment.35mm Frank Pittel <f...@warlock.deepthought.com> wrote:
: In rec.photo.equipment.medium-format bozak <bo...@onebox.com> wrote:
: : "Mike" <ne...@earthdink.net> wrote in message news:<eIePb.20705$zj7....@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
: : > "bozak" <bo...@onebox.com> wrote in message
: : > news:6512dae1.04012...@posting.google.com...
: : > > "Duncan" <dm...@pollara.ca> wrote in message

: : > news:<Wp_Ob.15206$7JB1...@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>...
: : > > > They're the best online sales organization in photography in North
: : > > > America...they really know they're stuff and they deliver...no bull.
: : > >
: : > > What they delivered me was a product I didn't pay for and refuse to
: : > > even contact me about it.
: : > >
: : > > I paid for a Panasonic dmr-e100hs, I received a dmr-e100h. Their seems
: : > > to be no difference, but I would like them to at least call me back
: : > > an affirm it. Not to mention send me the rebate form like I ask..
: : >
[...]

I hope your lack of response isn't an admission on your part that you're not an honourable
or honest person.

bozak

Jan 23, 2004, 10:39:06 AM1/23/04
Crownfield <Crown...@cox.net> wrote in message news:<401016...@cox.net>...

I've tried the phone and email...
To this day no one has contacted me.
I'm done with it. I mentioned in another post that I had
to buy an external dvd drive also for my pc. I bought it from
essencompu.com. In the past I've used Adorama for my camera
needs and in the future will continue to do so. I only used
B&H because of the glowing threads provided by people who
used them. Little to my knowledge that pretty much was defined
by order and receiving the product. Apparently if you need more
than that you're screwed.

bozak

Jan 23, 2004, 10:40:43 AM1/23/04
"Dan Sullivan" <dsul...@optonline.net> wrote in message news:<t_VPb.4705$6g7.1...@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>...

It's a shame you never learned to read.

Dan Sullivan

Jan 23, 2004, 11:18:06 AM1/23/04

Explain it to me!

david.mccall

Jan 23, 2004, 11:41:53 AM1/23/04

Hey guys, how about trimming a little.
The last message was up to 8K and all but 4 words were quoted :-)

David

Crownfield

Jan 23, 2004, 12:19:21 PM1/23/04

this week long tirade is starting to look strange.
someone normal who has a reasonable problem
gets it solved at the source.
someone who keeps trying to create a spectacle in public like this
is either deranged
or someone like a competitor trying to publicly damage B&H reputation.

I vote for the later in your case.

It is loading more messages.