Seeking advice: Underexposed Fuji Film Negatives

Brian

Nov 18, 2002, 7:38:51 PM11/18/02
Hello folks,
This is my first time posting to the rec.photo Usenet groups, I hope
someone can help! I've done some homework, but I didn't turn up any
promising information in a Google search.

I'm very dissapointed because I just returned from my honeymoon and we
had taken tons of pictures. I had my digital camera and got some good
shots, and my wife had a conventional point and shoot 35mm. But we also
took 2 rolls of film with Fuji one-time use cameras. These were the 800
speed film cameras without a flash. We were expecting some great indoor
and nighttime shots (the bulk of the pictures we took with those two
Fuji cameras.)

I guess I have enough photography experience (4 years back in school)
to be dangerous (to myself/my photos ;-) ... when we got the film
developed, there was very little information on most of the negatives
and nearly all of the pictures are very dark; the pictures of us are
mostly silhuoettes. Bummer! I was thinking, "800 speed film: good for
night shots, indoors, low light conditions." But when I called Fuji to
ask what went wrong, and they told me that model of camera has a fixed
F-stop of F10 and fixed shutter speed of 1/125 sec. DOH! I never thought
about that, I was only considering ISO speed.

Some of the indoor shots in regularly lit rooms, turned out very dark.
Even some middle of the day, even noon time, photos (granted it was a
rainy day) turned out dark in the shadows and bleached/light in the sky.

So, the question I have now: is there any more processing that can be
done? These negatives are already processed, so I guess I can't ask a
lab to "push" them or expose them longer. Can I? Is there any
retreatment that can be done to negatives? But I'd really like to
brighten some of these pictures and bring out the colors... they were
some neat compositions and settings.

I would greatly appreciate any advice!!!

I have an Epson slide scanner and a photo printer, so I might see if I
can salvage anything that way, but with the condition the negatives are
in, I'm not too optimistic.

I've read that some people unfairly blame the labs when it was their
own fault. I definitely know now that I was part of the problem, but the
other thing that happened is that when we picked up our photos from
Target (I'm going to Ritz Camera next time), their 1-hour processing
machine had died today. That just makes me wonder a little, whether my
negatives where in the machine when it croaked.

Thanks!!
Brian

Rogue Vorlon

Nov 18, 2002, 11:39:29 PM11/18/02
Try taking the negs to an experienced photo lab printer first, they might be
able to salvage something hopefully. I had some pretty dark images that I
took to someone with experience and they came out a lot better.

I'd do that before attempting anything to enhance the negs. I've heard of
some things for B&W negs, not sure of anything for color unfortunately.

Congratulations on your recent wedding and good luck with your negs!

"Brian" <bri...@fsg1.nws.noaa.gov> wrote in message