Setting up a photo business questions

Rogue Vorlon

Oct 22, 2002, 2:55:40 PM10/22/02
I know this may be dependent of the locality, in my case Virginia, are you
required to have a business license to shoot assignment photography, such as
portraits, weddings, editorial, etc?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

RV

E-mail

Nov 8, 2002, 10:52:02 AM11/8/02
On Tue, 22 Oct 2002 20:37:56 GMT, "Tom Thackrey"
<to...@creative-light.com> wrote:

>> I know this may be dependent of the locality, in my case Virginia, are you
>> required to have a business license to shoot assignment photography, such
>> as
>> portraits, weddings, editorial, etc?
>

>Many places do require a license and probably a state tax id (for collecting
>sales tax). I would start with your city or county clerk's office.

A license is permission to do what is otherwise unlawful. Who told you
that it was unlawful to take a picture and sell it? You don't need the
state's permission to sell your own property.

I am a photographer (among many other things). I do not possess ANY
licenses, personal, business or otherwise. I shoot high school
football games, take images for vairous local publications as well as
several domains I own.

Start living like the free people you are and stop begging some pencil
headed beaurocrat for permission to pursue happiness.

E-mail

Nov 8, 2002, 10:47:50 AM11/8/02

You don't need anyone's permission to take pictures. Period. If you
take a picture and then want to sell that picture then sell it. It's
yours to do with as you please.

Ever hear of a term called "freedom?"

Rogue Vorlon

Nov 8, 2002, 12:07:44 PM11/8/02
I'm sorry, that wasn't the question. I know that I can shoot pretty much
anything I wish (most part and in public). The question was "required to
have a business license .."?

"E-mail" <e-m...@this.com> wrote in message

GaryT

Nov 8, 2002, 1:00:19 PM11/8/02
I'll chime in, in the event this hasn't already been mentioned. While I'm
not aware of any particular licenses necessary to start your business,
different communities have different regulations (zoning, business permits
etc, both local as well as state, IOW opportunities for the governing body
to collect revenue)...Also, depending on your state, you may be required to
register with the state in order to collect sales taxes...usually through
the department of revenue. A word of caution, if you are in fact required to
collect sales tax on your service/sales and you don't, either through
ignorance or simple neglect...*YOU* ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR PAYMENT of those
taxes.
Hope this helps-
GaryT
"Rogue Vorlon" <Rogue_Vorl...@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote in message

Rogue Vorlon

Nov 8, 2002, 5:28:06 PM11/8/02
Wow... I had no idea that there were such rules, I guess I forgot to read up
on the newsgroup rule book before posting. It must be my ISP's fault, they
should have told me these things before signing my up.

I had no idea it was such a heinous crime to cross post to ALT and REC. Why
is that? What is wrong with these groups?

I resent you referring me as a "troll". That is a just plain rude thing to
say about someone before knowing anything about them. For your information,
I am a sensitive, thoughtful guy and I don't like being called names. Shame
on you.

Jeeze, even yelling with all caps. You want me to turn myself in to the
police now for this horrible crime?

But thank you nonetheless for mentioning where I should indeed post this
question. I just thought that posting in a few various groups would be the
most efficient way to reach more shooters. It was several weeks now since I
even got a reply.

"John" <jo...@darkroompro.com> wrote in message

> On Fri, 08 Nov 2002 17:07:44 GMT, "Rogue Vorlon"
> <Rogue_Vorl...@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> >I'm sorry, that wasn't the question. I know that I can shoot pretty much
> >anything I wish (most part and in public). The question was "required to
> >have a business license .."?
>

> Originally crossposted to ;
>
> alt.photography,rec.photo,rec.photo.35mm,rec.photo.advanced
>
> PLEASE, DO NOT CROSSPOST TO ALT.* AND REC.* ! ! !
>
> We already have enough trolls in the hierarchy as it is.
>
> Please post to the appropriate group. I think you would be best off asking
> in rec.photo.technique.people where some of the pro's hang out.
>
> Regards,
>
> John S. Douglas - Photographer, Webmaster & Computer Tech
> Website --- http://www.darkroompro.com

Rogue Vorlon

Nov 8, 2002, 6:08:31 PM11/8/02
Thanks! I was a big help!

"GaryT" <gtp...@attbi.com> wrote in message

Rogue Vorlon

Nov 9, 2002, 12:02:09 AM11/9/02
Can you say.... "newsgroup nazi"?

> You agreed to their terms of use when you signed up for their service.

Are you sure about this? How do you know what terms I agreed to and which
ones I didn't? Are their "terms of use" the same as others? Did you read
each and every ISP's TOU on the planet?

> >I had no idea it was such a heinous crime to cross post to ALT and REC.
Why
> >is that? What is wrong with these groups?
>

> Alt.* groups have no charter and are essentially "free for all" areas

Well, since this is so, then why not leave us alone and let people post
here. But its all a moot point cause I noticed that it was posted in only
the REC area anyway.

> where essentially anything goes. Essentially ALT.* groups are group that
does
> not fall in one of the Big Eight hierarchies (those newsgroups with names
> starting with comp.*, humanities.*, misc.*, news.*, rec.*, sci.*, soc.*,
and
> talk.*) . And of course they start with alt. Alt groups can be dedicated
> _anything_ .

> >I resent you referring me as a "troll". That is a just plain rude thing
> >say about someone before knowing anything about them. For your
information,
> >I am a sensitive, thoughtful guy and I don't like being called names.
Shame
> >on you.
> >
> >Jeeze, even yelling with all caps. You want me to turn myself in to the
> >police now for this horrible crime?
>

> It's just that you don't show any consideration for the groups that you
> are posting to. If you did you would have read their charters and posted
in the
> correct group only.

See the top line of this reply. And I mean that. I never saw any of your
so-called charters posted on the newsgroups.

What's the correct group for these questions here??? You mentioned that I
would be better served if I posted in the rec.photo.technique.people. How
would someone associate "technique" with "business"? I see this and think of
photo technique, like lighting, f/stops and the like. There isn't a
photo.business newsgroup so therefore I posted to those which I thought
would be the best. What's wrong with that? Why don't you make one since you
take these things so seriously in life? I have better things to worry about
than this BS.

> There are plenty of photographers in the rec.photo hierarchy that will
> help when they can. Many of us are specialized. Some are commercial
> photographers (though the rec.* groups are essentially non-professional.)

Why thank you. But I'm sure you have more of a life than to jump all over
people for violating your regime here. Gestapo weren't as rigid as you I'm
sure.

McLeod

Nov 9, 2002, 5:30:39 PM11/9/02
Hey, John! Did we take a vote and make you the enforcer or something? Get
a life.

> On Fri, 08 Nov 2002 22:28:06 GMT, "Rogue Vorlon"
> <Rogue_Vorl...@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> >Wow... I had no idea that there were such rules, I guess I forgot to read
up
> >on the newsgroup rule book before posting. It must be my ISP's fault,
they
> >should have told me these things before signing my up.
>

> You agreed to their terms of use when you signed up for their service.
>

> >I had no idea it was such a heinous crime to cross post to ALT and REC.
Why
> >is that? What is wrong with these groups?
>

> Alt.* groups have no charter and are essentially "free for all" areas

> where essentially anything goes. Essentially ALT.* groups are group that
does
> not fall in one of the Big Eight hierarchies (those newsgroups with names
> starting with comp.*, humanities.*, misc.*, news.*, rec.*, sci.*, soc.*,
and
> talk.*) . And of course they start with alt. Alt groups can be dedicated
> _anything_ .
>

> >I resent you referring me as a "troll". That is a just plain rude thing
> >say about someone before knowing anything about them. For your
information,
> >I am a sensitive, thoughtful guy and I don't like being called names.
Shame
> >on you.
> >
> >Jeeze, even yelling with all caps. You want me to turn myself in to the
> >police now for this horrible crime?
>

> It's just that you don't show any consideration for the groups that you
> are posting to. If you did you would have read their charters and posted
in the
> correct group only.
>

> >But thank you nonetheless for mentioning where I should indeed post this
> >question. I just thought that posting in a few various groups would be
the
> >most efficient way to reach more shooters. It was several weeks now since
> >even got a reply.
>

> There are plenty of photographers in the rec.photo hierarchy that will
> help when they can. Many of us are specialized. Some are commercial
> photographers (though the rec.* groups are essentially non-professional.)

Rogue Vorlon

Nov 10, 2002, 12:38:25 AM11/10/02
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

"McLeod" <wmcle...@rogers.com> wrote in message

Rogue Vorlon

Nov 10, 2002, 12:51:06 AM11/10/02
Yup, that's what guys like you call people like me who have the God given
right and the GUTS to stand up to people like you, one step away from being
a fanatic. Think about this the next time you call someone this.

Forget being one step, you are a fanatic, period. You think about that, got
it?

GET A LIFE and so what! Do you read every message out there and go on and on
slamming people simply because they post a message in what you think is the
wrong group? Again, so what! Who died and made you king?

snip this!

> On Sat, 09 Nov 2002 05:02:09 GMT, "Rogue Vorlon"
> <Rogue_Vorl...@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> >Can you say.... "newsgroup nazi"?

> <snip>

> >Why thank you. But I'm sure you have more of a life than to jump all over
> >people for violating your regime here. Gestapo weren't as rigid as you
I'm
> >sure.
>

> I was right. Troll.

BBA

Nov 15, 2002, 11:37:20 PM11/15/02

> Yup, that's what guys like you call people like me who have the God given
> right and the GUTS to stand up to people like you, one step away from being
> a fanatic. Think about this the next time you call someone this.
> Forget being one step, you are a fanatic, period. You think about that, got
> it?

I can see that you have some deep seated issues....

> GET A LIFE and so what!

same goes for you PAL!!!!

> Do you read every message out there and go on and on
> slamming people simply because they post a message in what you think is the
> wrong group? Again, so what! Who died and made you king?

happens to be a NEWSGROUP THING - Get used to it!!!

before opening your big fat abusive mouth!!!

you may want to re-read your user policy @ http://www.cox.com/INETIncludes/policy/subscriber.asp

you can find a general FAQ for News:Rec.Photo. @ http://bobatkins.photo.net/info/charter.htm

and a FAQ guide for general newsgroup etiquette @ http://tgos.org/newbie

BBA

Rogue Vorlon

Nov 17, 2002, 8:26:27 PM11/17/02
OOOOOHHHHHHH......

why thank you for your enlightening response

"BBA" <removeme...@attbi.com> wrote in message

McLeod

Nov 18, 2002, 3:57:42 PM11/18/02
Pretty amazing. The traffic in this newsgroup is almost non-existent, yet
someone who asks an arguably advanced photography question is flamed by a
bunch of wannabes. Pretty clear why there is so little traffic here.

"Rogue Vorlon" <Rogue_Vorl...@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote in message

Mind's Eye Photography

Dec 6, 2002, 9:41:03 PM12/6/02
"Rogue Vorlon" <Rogue_Vorl...@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote in message news:<lhmz9.664526$vq2.4...@news1.east.cox.net>...

> Thank you, thank you, thank you!
>

> "McLeod" <wmcle...@rogers.com> wrote in message
> > Hey, John! Did we take a vote and make you the enforcer or something?
> Get
> > a life.
> >

> > "John" <jo...@darkroompro.com> wrote in message

> read
> up

Shheeeeeeeesh,

A couple of you guys need to cut back on your caffiene, take your
zanax and get out and work a shutter release. Relax man.

Back to the topic:

I would imagine that most states require an EIN if you have employee's
or consider yourself an employee of the business, as well as a state
Rev # and perhaps a local license for operating your business.

Here in WI I need a state rev # for sales tax collection, a tax exempt
# for items purchased for resale, and a local business license. Now
were not talking about just selling a few pictures here are we? I
assume that you are starting a pro/semi-pro studio doing advertising
etc. If you are just selling a few pictures or covering a wedding for
friends occasionally save yourself the hassel and just have em pay you
directly. The forms you gotta fill out monthly, even if you don't
sell anything would make a bureaucrat cry.

Happy shooting.

Scott Wuerch, Principal
Mind's Eye Photography