rescued a lab tonight.. any advice?

Bre

Aug 28, 2001, 10:02:22 PM8/28/01
Hi all,
Yesterday I got a call about a yellow male lab pup ( 7 months old ) that
the owners no longer wanted and did I want to have a look at him? Well
we have been talking about getting another lab to go with our girl Caley
but our plan was next year.
Well the best laid plans ......
My husband and I went to see the lab this evening and I could not leave
the dog there, I had to take him. He was being crated 20 hours out of
24..... His name was Riley but I have decided to change it to Chance
(for second chance at a good life). He is a doll and is starved for
attention. Overweight and under exercised.....

He has never slept outside of a crate and I don't have one so tonight
should be fun... The woman who had him wanted to sell me his crate but
it could have been the last crate on the planet and I would not have
bought it from her.
She said she could not handle the dog and that she thought labs were
quiet dogs, at least her bosses was.. <sigh>

She wanted $300 for the dog even though she didn't want him anymore and
my husband got her down to $50.

My plan is to treat the pup as if he is totally untrained and start at
the beginning with him. Although he does know the sit and down
commands. The owners just wanted to get rid of him so I do not trust
anything that they said about him.

My girl is busy playing with him and putting him in his place when he
tries to mount her. I have let her handle that and she seems to be doing
a good job there. I will make a vet appointment in the morning for him
and get him neutered ASAP.

If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it. I have never
owned two dogs at once.

Bre

--

On the Ladder of Knowledge, the top is not in reach.
Be brave enough to ask and kind enough to teach.

Leslie Parsley

Aug 28, 2001, 11:35:12 PM8/28/01
to Bre
Congrats and much luck. I have a lab/great dane mix - along with a boxer -
both rescues. It's great having two dogs because they keep each other
company, play together and become inseparable companions.

Labs aren't happy unless they have something in their mouths - this includes
TP rolls, stuff on the kitchen counter, and anything else within reach. You
almost have to child-proof your home. They need lots of exercise, so if you
have a doggy park nearby where he can run free, that would be good. They
love to play in water and swim.

These are great dogs, but then, so are boxers. I'm just glad you rescued him
from someone who "couldn't take care of him." Aargh!

Leslie

Jdoee

Aug 28, 2001, 11:25:00 PM8/28/01
Sounds like you are doing everything right and have a good plan! Until you
know how both dogs get along together, feed each one separately to avoid
food squabbles. Separate doesn't have to be formal and involved; either
side of the room with you in the middle to keep order will do, if that
works. He may be a bit cranky when you cut back on his food.

You should see if you can find out his vaccination history, if you do vacs
(I do). Even if you don't, he needs to meet the legal requirement for
rabies vacs where you live. Since he is new to your house he might be prone
to wandering off; chip him or keep a loose ID collar on him.

Sounds like Caley is the boss dog. So to reinforce this, when they both
come up to you pet her first, talk to her first, she gets first attention or
gets to lay closest by you, etc. The dog world ain't fair: they will get
along better this way than if you try to treat them *equal*.

Chance will probably want a quiet place to retreat to. If you are adamant
about not getting another crate, you can cover up a card table with a long
tablecloth, or move the couch so he can get behind it. or something. But
allow him a refuge, in the heart of the house where the people are, so he
can retreat but not withdraw. Never force him out of his quiet place. But
if he gets too defensive about it, it has to go.

And I hope you never need this advice, but, there are a couple ways to break
up fighting dogs. If you have two people, one can grab the one on top
around the "waist" and lift the back feet off the ground, while the other
person removes the other dog. Or, try throwing a big blanket or coat over
both of them.
Congratulations on your new boy. jdoee and Stacey Dog

----------
In article <3B8C4DB2...@ns.sympatico.ca>, Bre

Bre

Aug 29, 2001, 9:53:48 AM8/29/01
Hi Jdoee,

Jdoee wrote:

> Sounds like you are doing everything right and have a good plan! Until you
> know how both dogs get along together, feed each one separately to avoid
> food squabbles. Separate doesn't have to be formal and involved; either
> side of the room with you in the middle to keep order will do, if that
> works. He may be a bit cranky when you cut back on his food.

I don't think I will have to cut back his food at this point, just
increasing his exercise should be enough, as he wasn't getting any to
speak of.

> You should see if you can find out his vaccination history, if you do vacs
> (I do). Even if you don't, he needs to meet the legal requirement for
> rabies vacs where you live. Since he is new to your house he might be prone
> to wandering off; chip him or keep a loose ID collar on him.

The owners would not give me their last name but I know someone who
knows them so my plan is to call all the local vets to see who treated
him and get him up to date if he isn't. My lab is vaccinated, I refuse
to take any risks in that area. I have a vet appointment to have him
neutered next Tuesday. MY vet is wonderful and is giving me a great
price since Chance is a rescue.

> Sounds like Caley is the boss dog. So to reinforce this, when they both
> come up to you pet her first, talk to her first, she gets first attention or
> gets to lay closest by you, etc. The dog world ain't fair: they will get
> along better this way than if you try to treat them *equal*.

Yes Caley is the boss (she is 19 mos old) and she was here first so she
comes first.
Thanks for that tip..
I belong to a dog Obedience/Agility Club and the Instructor phoned me
when he heard I got Chance to tell me that I can bring Chance to the
next obedience class at no cost. I planned on taking him anyway but
with all the expense of a new dog that was really nice of him to do that
for us.

> Chance will probably want a quiet place to retreat to. If you are adamant
> about not getting another crate, you can cover up a card table with a long
> tablecloth, or move the couch so he can get behind it. or something. But
> allow him a refuge, in the heart of the house where the people are, so he
> can retreat but not withdraw. Never force him out of his quiet place. But
> if he gets too defensive about it, it has to go.

Well I am not adamant about not getting a crate but I would not buy the
one from Chance's owners...
I have arranged to borrow one for a few weeks to wean him off of it, as
last night I really didn't get any sleep. Chance just wouldn't sleep.
He didn't cry or whine but he was up and down. I put him on a short
lease by my bed but finally I gave up and went to the spare room with
him and let him on the bed with me. He finally slept for an hour about 5
am...
It was a long night.

> And I hope you never need this advice, but, there are a couple ways to break
> up fighting dogs. If you have two people, one can grab the one on top
> around the "waist" and lift the back feet off the ground, while the other
> person removes the other dog. Or, try throwing a big blanket or coat over
> both of them.
> Congratulations on your new boy. jdoee and Stacey Dog

Me too but it's good to know.
Thanks

Bre

Bre

Aug 29, 2001, 9:57:06 AM8/29/01
Hi Leslie,

Leslie Parsley wrote:

> Congrats and much luck. I have a lab/great dane mix - along with a boxer -
> both rescues. It's great having two dogs because they keep each other
> company, play together and become inseparable companions.

Thanks I hope they do. They are both quiet right now and I think this
is the first time they have stopped since we came home with Chance.

> Labs aren't happy unless they have something in their mouths - this includes
> TP rolls, stuff on the kitchen counter, and anything else within reach. You
> almost have to child-proof your home. They need lots of exercise, so if you
> have a doggy park nearby where he can run free, that would be good. They
> love to play in water and swim.

My other dog Caley is a female 19 month old lab so I am prepared in that
area... I hope anyway hehehe

> These are great dogs, but then, so are boxers. I'm just glad you rescued him
> from someone who "couldn't take care of him." Aargh!

Well when I saw him and the way he was being treated there was no way we
could leave him there.

Bre

Diana

Aug 29, 2001, 10:59:53 AM8/29/01
You might want to be a bit careful about excersicing him at first. If he has
had little or no excersice throughout his growing period, and has spent so
much trime cramped in a crate there is a huge possiblity that his hock
tendons will be weak at first.

When we picked up my GSD, Stone, from a shelter, she was quite literally
walking on her hocks due to a lack of strength brought on by the leg muscles
and tendons not being strong through lack of excersice. We walked her quite
gently at first, staring at no more than 15 mins at a time, little and often
and she gradually 'uncrumpled' - although has never straightened out
completely. We are now careful, as she is getting on a bit - a guestimated
12 - realising that the damaged done could exassapate the onset of
arthritus.

With your pup, hopefully this damage has so far been minimal, but please do
bear in mind that this is a consideration to be made for the next month or
so.

Good Luck,

Diana

--
http://website.lineone.net/~diana_pete.attwood
Bre <barlee...@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message

Bre

Aug 29, 2001, 11:34:54 AM8/29/01
I will keep that in mind thanks!!!!

bre

Leslie Parsley

Aug 29, 2001, 6:27:48 PM8/29/01
to Diana
That's actually good advice and something I hadn't thought about. I've also been
told by several vets to avoid these puppy or "growth" foods as they can cause a
puppy to develop faster than their bones can tolerate and that this can lead to
problems when they're older.

Diana wrote:

> You might want to be a bit careful about excersicing him at first. If he has
> had little or no excersice throughout his growing period, and has spent so
> much trime cramped in a crate there is a huge possiblity that his hock

> tendons will be weak at first . . .

robin....@gmail.com

Feb 9, 2013, 11:11:12 PM2/9/13

robin....@gmail.com

Feb 9, 2013, 11:52:13 PM2/9/13
On Tuesday, August 28, 2001 10:02:23 PM UTC-4, Bre wrote:
Great Job! If I can help please Drop me a line. I have a problem That I need help with myself . I have rescude many dogs In my lifetime(I have 6 dogs),and if anybody is up at this time I could really need some help.

A brief overview: Extream malnutrishion ,ingourged red mammery glands teets are Bleeding.Eight pups with full sets of teeth

robin....@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2013, 12:21:15 AM2/10/13
> A brief overview: Extream malnutrishion ,ingourged red mammery glands teets are Bleeding.Eight pups with full sets of teeth and their nails have never been tremed! HELP

an theirN

Jo Wolf

Feb 10, 2013, 3:33:15 AM2/10/13
NEWLY ADOPTED LAB PUPPY

There is a wide streak of "stupid" in the population. Betcha her boss's
dog was 8-10 years old, and/or obedience trained.....

You still need a crate to help this poor kiddo make the transition to a
freer life, for the rare occasion when he needs crate rest for illness
or a strain or sprain, to finish up his housetraining, and for basic
SAFETY when you cannot supervise him DIRECTLY. And for your vehicle.
Remember, he's a wild child! And Labs are notorious chewers and
consumers of things they shouldn't be eating and that can be dangerous.

MOM DOG RESCUE WITH PUPPIES

TO THE VET on MONDAY! And it's time to wean those dragon jawed-
youngsters.

Use the puppy formula (bitch's milk replacer) canned liquid or powder to
combine with good quality dry food for the pups ( petstore). Initially,
turn it into combination similar to a cream soup, then thicken over
several days. Feed 4-6 times a day. Gonna be messy at first.

Mom may require more careful feeding.... multiple small meals a day of
high quality dog food (NOT from the supermarket), might even add some of
the puppy formula.... but DISCUSS with VET and follow directions.

Vet MAY recommend warm soaks for her breasts several times a day until
the teats begin to heal. May put her on antibiotics, which means
automatic weaning of the pups, and keeping them away from her until
she's been off antibiotics for 5-10 days.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA

mther...@gmail.com

Aug 12, 2014, 4:52:03 PM8/12/14
ts funny what people do to dogs over here
in Africa. I was suprised to see that people
eat their pets here and am scare for my two
little puppies. so any one willing to adopt
them, email me or call me. I work in Africa.
email. mther...@gmail.com