Eating Grass

Message has been deleted

Lay - William / Clara

Jun 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/17/97

Your dog is probably sick. That's what most dogs do - from my experience
and also those around me.
Sometimes, they do throw up after eating grass. I've observed my dogs to
be more lively after that. Did you notice anything different about her ?

Rgds,
Clara

Christy <khry...@bellsouth.net> wrote in article
<01bc79c8$18386360$b90835cf@christy>...
> Until this year sadie has never eaten grass, Probably because we lived in
> an apartment before, but now that we have our house she is constantly
> eating it, and throwing up as a result, are their ways to prevent this?
Is
> this bad for the dog? Thanks, Christy

Wendy Duggan

Jun 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/17/97

It's been my experience that totally healthy dogs eat grass (I've never
had a sick one do so). Why? Because they like the taste. It's an
unfortunate side effect that it often makes them vomit.

Several of my gang *race* to the patches of grass in the big yard as
soon as I let them out.....the tall, green, tender shoots have an
apparently irresistible appeal.....

Wendy
Kyzyl Kum Salukis - Smooth & Feathered
kyzy...@cruzio.com

Jim Manson

Jun 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/17/97

Wendy Duggan <we...@zzyx.ucsc.edu> wrote:

>It's been my experience that totally healthy dogs eat grass (I've never
>had a sick one do so). Why? Because they like the taste. It's an
>unfortunate side effect that it often makes them vomit.
>
>Several of my gang *race* to the patches of grass in the big yard as
>soon as I let them out.....the tall, green, tender shoots have an
>apparently irresistible appeal.....
>
>Wendy
>Kyzyl Kum Salukis - Smooth & Feathered

In my experience I have had several dogs that eat grass and I don't
remember them throwing up once.

Guess it depends on the dog......

Brent or Lydia Hurn

Jun 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/20/97
to Lay - William / Clara

You may try changing the dog's diet. Many dogs eat grass to induce
vomiting, thereby to relieve a stomach upset. This is an innate
behavior. Of course, some dogs just think it is neat. But if your dog
is vomiting, it may be in response to a stomach upset. Diet change
might be a good option. Of course, consult your vet.

Lydia Hurn

Andrea Dec

Jun 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/23/97

In article <33A6E8...@zzyx.ucsc.edu>, Wendy Duggan <we...@zzyx.ucsc.edu> writes:
|> It's been my experience that totally healthy dogs eat grass (I've never
|> had a sick one do so). Why? Because they like the taste. It's an
|> unfortunate side effect that it often makes them vomit.

My older Golden will eat moderate amounts of normal grass
when he's feeling good. However, I've noticed that when he's
quite sick (as in "I Ate Something Really Nasty"), he'll eat
even MORE grass than normal. And he'll try to eat a lot of
sawgrass (really rough-edged grass) which he will promptly
vomit. Regular grass he can keep down, but the sawgrass is
another story.

My Golden puppy will try to eat anything in sight. He's a
Hoover on our daily walks :). All the wild buttercups and
daisies on our street have been decapitated quite nicely,
along with a few ferns and whatever weeds have dared to
grow within reach of his mouth. :)

/andrea & Max (a little raspberry vinaigrette on that grass would be
lovely, thank you.)
& Dylan (EAT. EAT. EAT.)

Andrea Dec (Clever stuff under consideration)
andr...@ex.hp.com I try not to have too many opinions,
Hewlett-Packard Company but those I do have are not supported
by HP.

Ute Willmore

Jul 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/7/97

I have also noticed that dogs seem to eat more grass when hot and tired.
Just got back from a 4 day backpacking trip with friend Brian and dogs
Echo (My Aussie) and Rowdy (Brian's GRX). I once again noticed that both
dogs started to eat grass as the day progressed while hiking out yesterday.
We did 6 miles, both dogs carried full packs. Rowdy was VERY tired (he is 6+
and overweight), Echo was a little tired (he is 1.5 and just right).
Both dogs are hot (so are we!) and are eating grass like mad, while standing
right next to a creek!

I thought they might eat grass on hot hikes to get some moisture, but it seems
that has nothitng to do with it.

Ute & Echo (Hey, I am just trying to get Mom wondering!)