Good idea to feed cats raw meat?

223rem

Apr 5, 2005, 2:28:44 PM4/5/05
If yes, is red meat better than white meat?
Thanks.

bjdbrad

Apr 6, 2005, 5:36:56 AM4/6/05
My opinion is to feed them a good balanced cat food that is balanced
for all the nutrients they need and feed them nothing else. Anything
you feed them on top of a balanced diet will overload them with
something. Not saying it would hurt the cat necessarily but I feel
comfortable with a good dry cat food that is balanced. That theory
would normally rule out treats out which to me is a problem because I
like the occasional treat for them but a vet that knows nutrition will
also tell you no treats either for the same reasons I mentioned above.

Brad

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY IN A WELL-PRESERVED
BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT, SHOUTING... "
HOLY @#$%... WHAT A RIDE!"

Fat Freddy

Apr 6, 2005, 9:43:40 AM4/6/05
My cats favorite raw meat is Head of Mouse

Ted Davis

Apr 6, 2005, 10:52:23 AM4/6/05
On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 18:28:44 GMT, 223rem <223...@sbcglobal.com> wrote:

>If yes, is red meat better than white meat?

Muscle meat is an unbalenced food. Note that when cats catch their
own meat, they eat pretty much the entire animal, including the organs
and whatever the animal had for *its* last meal.

Very small amounts given infrequently are not likely to cause any
problems. My cats get kibble and what they can catch, and very little
else except corn on the cob and watermelon (two or three of them love
those so much that I just can't bring myself to deprive them of their
favorite treats, but even those are rare). They also get a tuna meal
a few times a year and small amounts of leftovers, and all of them are
healthy.

--
T.E.D. (tda...@gearbox.maem.umr.edu)

pak...@localhost.private.neotoma.org

Apr 6, 2005, 12:17:14 PM4/6/05
On 6 Apr 2005 02:36:56 -0700 in <1112780216.1...@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com> bjdbrad <bjd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My opinion is to feed them a good balanced cat food that is balanced
> for all the nutrients they need and feed them nothing else. Anything
> you feed them on top of a balanced diet will overload them with
> something. Not saying it would hurt the cat necessarily but I feel
> comfortable with a good dry cat food that is balanced. That theory
> would normally rule out treats out which to me is a problem because I
> like the occasional treat for them but a vet that knows nutrition will
> also tell you no treats either for the same reasons I mentioned above.

Moderation in all things, including moderation.

You'd think that a good balanced cat food would be enough, plus
just enough A/D to get Maxtor to take his lysine would be enough.
He would nibble on spider plants and kept eyeing the oncidium alliance
orchids. Started keeping a tub or two of wheatgrass around the house
and he stopped munching on the houseplants.

Also because the little monster 1) has hayfever 2) gets the
occasional cold (approximately once a year) 3) has recurring gum
inflammation, that affect his eating habits, the occasional treat
is a quick check to see if a trip to the vet is needed.

--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidence -- Brazil

Ted Davis

Apr 6, 2005, 4:52:13 PM4/6/05
On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 06:43:40 -0700, Fat Freddy <how...@damoon.com>
wrote:

>My cats favorite raw meat is Head of Mouse

Some of mine *leave* the head - it usually disappears within a few
hours if I don't clean it up.

Dusty

Apr 6, 2005, 10:13:47 PM4/6/05
"223rem" <223...@sbcglobal.com> wrote in message

> If yes, is red meat better than white meat?
> Thanks.

Both of mine will kill for a nice Del Monico steak.. slow cooked, medium
rare with a touch of A-1.

Then again, one of them just LOVES spaghetti.. the other has a thing for
shelled pistachios and popcorn. Go figure..

Of course, mice are their favorite play toy.. and they keep it alive long
enough so -I- can play with it, too!

Steve Piper

Apr 7, 2005, 9:44:31 PM4/7/05
Isn't it nuts what they'll eat?

We keep Coffee primarily on a dry diet, she recently developed polycythemia
and since then she gets wet regularly as well to help keep her weight up
(she just won't eat as much dry now, and she deserves some kind of treat for
taking the huge pills!), but she adores honeydew melon (a huge favourite,
you get it out the fridge and she is there in seconds sticking her head in)
and will cheerfully steal;

Weetabix (wheat cereal, no milk)
Frosted Shreddies (wheat cereal with sugar, no milk)
and cookie dough

then on her birthday when we buy her a tuna steak does she eat it? Like
hell!

"Dusty" <No_...@home.org> wrote in message

pak...@localhost.private.neotoma.org

Apr 8, 2005, 8:56:26 AM4/8/05
On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 01:44:31 GMT in <3ml5e.16696$mQ6....@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk> Steve Piper <ad...@coffeefilms.com> wrote:
> Isn't it nuts what they'll eat?

What's more nuts is the psychology behind it.

Maxtor is absolutely nuts about honey turkey if I'm making a sandwich
with some. Offer him a piece of a slice when I'm not making a sandwich
and he'll usually snub it.

> then on her birthday when we buy her a tuna steak does she eat it? Like
> hell!

Same thing, Maxtor is nuts about tuna from a can or pouch if I'm
making tuna salad. A piece of tuna steak is extra yummy if the rest of
the steak is heading for the grill or coming off the grill.

Now if only I could figure out why he likes the cane syrup remnants
from a plate of waffles. Atleast this encourages me to put dirty dishes
where the little monster can't get to them :-).

joann...@btinternet.com

Apr 9, 2005, 10:30:21 AM4/9/05
I would love to know the psychology.

My cat Missy will only eat tinned cat food if it is freshly opened -
unless her dry food bowl is empty in which case she decides that it is
better than being hungry.

She eats cheese and ham but doesn't like any "maunfactured" cat treats.
Tuna is only if she is in the mood. She is always interested in what
we are eating but most of the time she turns her nose up at it when you
offer her some.

One day I might just get to know exactly what she does like!

Lesley Madigan

Apr 11, 2005, 6:34:12 AM4/11/05

> Maxtor is absolutely nuts about honey turkey if I'm making a sandwich
> with some. Offer him a piece of a slice when I'm not making a sandwich
> and he'll usually snub it.

Redunzel and Sarrasine are the same about ham. I always get them a
small slice when I go to the supermarket as a once a week treat but if
I just break it up and drop it in their bowl, yeah, they'll nibble at
it but they're not too keen. What we have to do is start to eat the
ham whilst making loud comments about how this is the best ham we have
ever eaten at which point they do their frantic begging routine and
then we have to break a bit off and throw it on the floor (not in the
bowl) which they eat as fast as they can before coming back for more
begging.

I reckon it must feel like a successful "hunt" to them if they think
they're scrounging our food.

Lesley

Slave to the Fabulous (ham eating) Furballs

whayface

Apr 11, 2005, 8:59:27 AM4/11/05

Not that lunch meat is raw meat but I have 4 furbabies and I buy them lunch meat and baby
food as treats but they do not get it until after they have had their regular cat food.
One likes a slice of turkey lunch meat daily as long as it is just plain cooked!! Will
not eat the honey roasted or any other kind. He will not eat ham or any other kind of
meat. It just lays there!!! Two of the other ones love baby food as long as it is
chicken with chicken gravy OR turkey with turkey gravy. The 2 that like baby food like a
little SHREDDED cheese. Plus I give them about 1/8 cup of milk of which they never drink
it all.

Before anyone says anything about the milk and cheese it does not bother them. They have
all ate it since forever (Since they were babies) and none of them have problem. I know
because one of their litter boxes is by the bathroom and when I use the bathroom in the AM
they all seem to have to go one after the other and none of them have a problem going and
they all go to the vet regularly and she says as long as it does not bother them to let
them have it as long as they do not overdo it!!

I do have one that will eat nothing but cat food and mostly dry and she happens to be the
one that is overweight!!

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

E-mail address altered to foil spam.
Remove spam and junk to reply via e-mail.

Lesley Madigan

Apr 12, 2005, 4:43:58 AM4/12/05
!!! Two of the other ones love baby food as long as it is
> chicken with chicken gravy OR turkey with turkey gravy.

I assume you know to make sure that the baby food doesn't contain
onion or onion powder.... I didn't know until recently that onion is
toxic for cats

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Marion

Apr 12, 2005, 9:13:40 AM4/12/05

Lesley Madigan wrote:
>> I reckon it must feel like a successful "hunt" to them if they think
> they're scrounging our food.

The greatest excitement in my house happens when I'm pouring
the regular kibble from one container into another and happen
to spill some on the floor. There are thump-thump-thumps from
all directions as cats race up or down the stairs on a
treasure hunt to grab the spilled pieces before I can pick
them up!
Marion