Advice on canary behaviour

GeordisJD

Apr 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/25/96

I've had a couple of canaries for over a year now. The female has layed
eggs 3 times, with conception occuring only once (the 1st time), but
without a live 'birth'. I'm not that eager to raise baby canaries, but I
don't know what to do with the female. She's been laying on her nest for 2
1/2 months straight(over 2 successful batches of eggs). Even after
removing the unfertilized eggs, she keeps laying on her empty nest-which
she made in the food container- day after day. She has lost all the
feathers on her chest, which looks red and maybe infected ('nest' sore, I
presume?).
How do I get her to stop that self-destructive behaviour? Should I
separate the birds? Is there such a thing as hormonal treatment to prevent
the nesting behaviour? I would appreciate some advice.
GeordisJD from Denver, CO

Rosemarie Fitzpatrick

Apr 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/26/96

Here is my advice; hope it helps:
Take the nest out of the cage. As long as the nest is there, the hen
will want to lay eggs.
You should also take the poor critter to the vet ... sounds like her chest
is in bad shape. Nesting females have a brood patch, which is where they
snuggle their bare skin directly against the eggs. I'd guess this area has
become irritated from to much egg-snuggling; it must be uncomfortable for
Birdie and may lead to other problems.
Are you making sure she has enough calcium? Egg-laying depletes that,
so be sure she's getting her vitamins.
You might want to get them a cool toy to give them something else to do.

I know how it is: I have a pair of Javanese Rice Finches that just *love*
to lay eggs. It is their hobby. I had to switch from newspaper to corn cob
litter because the male, Ezra, would build a little "pup-tent" at the bottom
of the cage for Ping (his mate) to nest in. They have also tried to build
nests in overhead lamps, the laundry, and potted plants. They have stolen
some of the weirdest things as nesting material including: receipts, dollar
bills, the rabbit's hay, raisins (??), and twist-ties from bread. After laying
about two dozen eggs, they finally produced a viable one: so now we have
the lovely young Daisy. She was worth all the hassle!

Good Luck!
Rose