OT Net Neutrality -- the wolves are circling

1 view

NotMe

Apr 14, 2010, 2:27:30 PM4/14/10

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-kerry/net-neutrality-needs-your_b_536890.html

It would be at best sophomoric and at worst patronizing to stop by here and
"tell you" you how important the Internet is to our economy and political
culture now.

But when you're talking about almost 200 billion emails sent each day and
more than $3 trillion in e-commerce a year ago, it's more than clear we've
just scratched the surface of what the Internet can do, both as a platform
for commerce and discourse.

And so it's far from surprising that the powerful interests have lined up on
different sides of a huge fight going on in Washington; and it will probably
be very familiar to you, after years of battling over Net Neutrality.

On one side are the telephone and cable companies who believe they should be
in control because they own the wires that deliver the Internet to your
house. On the other side is you, the consumer, and President Obama's FCC,
with a broad set of interests -- making sure consumers are protected, users
and content are not discriminated against, and broadband service is
universally affordable and available.

President Obama has been a strong champion for an open, fast Internet. He
was a leader on Net Neutrality as a Senator, and he has pushed hard to
create a National Broadband Plan to build the fast broadband infrastructure
we need. And his FCC chairman, Julius Genachowski, has been fighting hard to
make President Obama's vision a reality, which is no surprise to those of us
who knew Julius before he headed the FCC.

But not surprisingly, the industry is fighting back, with heavy artillery on
their side.

Today, there's a vital hearing in the Senate Commerce Committee, and I need
your help. You could make an enormous difference if you take just a couple
of minutes right now, call your Senators and urge them to support the
President's push for Net Neutrality and a National Broadband plan. You can
just call the Capitol switchboard at 202-224-3121 and ask for your Senator.

It's helpful to bust wide open the convenient myth many in Washington buy
into -- the idea that it's only the industry and those with financial skin
in the game who really care about these issues.

The travesty in the court system last week underscored the importance of you
weighing in, and doing it in a hurry. Just last week, the industry won a
round in court, with a DC Circuit of the Federal Appeals Court ruling that
could block the FCC from protecting Net Neutrality, working for consumers,
or making broadband available to all Americans.

The details get a little technical, but it basically boils down to this:
back in the Bush Administration, the FCC classified the Internet as an
"information service" rather than a "communications service." This limits
what the FCC can do, which is, of course, just the way the big telecom
companies want it.

But the FCC could reclassify the service and preserve its traditional role.
The telecom companies are giving it everything they've got to keep this from
happening, and if you don't speak up, they could win.

A win for them would mean that the FCC couldn't protect Net Neutrality, so
the telecoms could throttle traffic as they wish -- it would be at their
discretion. The FCC couldn't help disabled people access the Internet, give
public officials priority access to the network in times of emergency, or
implement a national broadband plan to improve the deplorable situation
where the United States -- the country that invented the Internet -- lags
far behind in our broadband infrastructure. In short, it would take away a
key check on the power of phone and cable corporations to do whatever they
want with our Internet.

The telecom companies try to say that only Congress can pass a law to make
this better. But having suffered through a year of record filibusters and
procedural hurdles to grind the process to a halt, do you really think it's
a good idea for Congress to try and do this, when the FCC can have the
authority right now?

Look, eventually we may need to build a new legal framework for broadband
service, but the Internet is moving too fast, the economy needs the
innovation of the Internet too badly, to wait. Especially because we don't
have to. The FCC can act right now.

But they need the political support from the Senate, and the Senate needs to
know that you care about this. So call right now and let them know.
Especially if your Senator serves on the Commerce Committee (here's the
membership of the committee).

Bottom line is that this is the way politics work. In the end, you pull the
levers, but only if you use them. The industry will fight for control, and
they should fight -- if you were advising them, you'd give them that advice
yourself.

But we need to show them that we're going to fight even harder to make sure
the Internet stays in the hands of the American people, that we get to set
the rules to benefit all of us, not just a few huge corporations.

Bruce S

Apr 14, 2010, 2:31:44 PM4/14/10
NotMe wrote:
> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-kerry/net-neutrality-needs-your_b_536890.html
>
> It would be at best sophomoric and at worst patronizing to stop by
> here and "tell you" you how important the Internet is to our economy
> and political culture now.

Are there really people so stupid and uninformed as to believe that Net
Neutrality is a good thing?

Bruce

Lone Haranguer

Apr 14, 2010, 2:55:57 PM4/14/10

I think it's all bullshit.

Who has screwed you the most? The government or telecommunications companies?

I wouldn't trust the FCC under the Obama administration; they'll let every
federal agency access your e-mails and accounts.

I think net neutrality is in the greatest danger from the FCC....think about
the rules China has...

Also since the Obama regime is on a wild binge they will use the internet as a
source of more tax money. Bet the farm, all the cows and your machinery on it.
LZ

Dave Woodruff

Apr 14, 2010, 5:01:26 PM4/14/10

"Bruce S" <bruce...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Bruce, apparently there are, but that isn't too big a shock. Need I remind
them this is the same FCC they are wanting to put into control that has a
fairness director that thinks the job Chavez did with controlling the media
in his new "Democracy" was a good thing. The same one wanting to push the
"fairness" doctrine that demands equal time, and if a broadcaster can't get
enough listeners to what they are forced to broadcast will have to eliminate
people that do get a following and advertisers willing to support them.

I get a bad feeling every time I hear the words, "I'm from the Government,
I'm here to help."

Dave

nothermark

Apr 14, 2010, 6:36:02 PM4/14/10
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 11:55:57 -0700, Lone Haranguer
<linu...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I think it's all bullshit.
>
>Who has screwed you the most? The government or telecommunications companies?

If you knew the history it's the telecommunications companies.

>I wouldn't trust the FCC under the Obama administration; they'll let every
>federal agency access your e-mails and accounts.
>
>I think net neutrality is in the greatest danger from the FCC....think about
>the rules China has...

Not really. the whole thing is a move by the big providers like
AT&T/Comcast to monetize the backbone. AT&T and TW both want to set
up preferred downloads of movies they own instead of other content
they do not. The issue is they want to do it by chjarging everybody
else. Considering the uploader and downlaoder already pay for the
connection the question is why there should be another charge.

>Also since the Obama regime is on a wild binge they will use the internet as a
>source of more tax money. Bet the farm, all the cows and your machinery on it.
>LZ

That is something else to watch. it's more than Obama as many states
are trying to force collection of sales tax but have not been able to
do it yet.

nothermark

Apr 14, 2010, 6:36:02 PM4/14/10
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 11:31:44 -0700, "Bruce S" <bruce...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Why isn't it?

lil abner

Apr 14, 2010, 6:47:59 PM4/14/10
Lone Haranguer wrote:

> I think it's all bullshit.
>
> Who has screwed you the most? The government or telecommunications
> companies?
Clearly there is no appraisal of the situation here just the same old stuff.

Max

Apr 14, 2010, 6:51:15 PM4/14/10
"NotMe" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

Today it's the airwaves, tomorrow it's the air.

Max

NotMe

Apr 14, 2010, 7:18:47 PM4/14/10

"Max" <thesam...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

If it missed your notice industry has been sh|ttin in the air and water for
years.

NotMe

Apr 14, 2010, 7:19:54 PM4/14/10

"Lone Haranguer" <linu...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> I think it's all bullshit.
>
> Who has screwed you the most? The government or telecommunications
> companies?

One word example ENRON, do you need more?

John Kinney

Apr 14, 2010, 7:46:28 PM4/14/10
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 17:36:02 -0500, nothermark wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 11:55:57 -0700, Lone Haranguer
> <linu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>I think it's all bullshit.
>>
>>Who has screwed you the most? The government or telecommunications companies?
>
> If you knew the history it's the telecommunications companies.

LZ only knows the history he makes up for himself. Expect a long series
of posts containing cherry-picked information, topped off by definitive
analyses contributed by his kids.

He probably thinks the old AT&T stranglehold roadblock on telephone
communications development was a time of peacefully measured progress.

>>I wouldn't trust the FCC under the Obama administration; they'll let every
>>federal agency access your e-mails and accounts.

So what's the big problem? The Bush administration set all that up
years ago. Along with that little redefinition of the Internet as an
information service.

>>I think net neutrality is in the greatest danger from the FCC....think
>>about the rules China has...

Think? What would LZ know about thinking? Nothing new here -- move
along...

Regards, John Kinney

Eregon

Apr 14, 2010, 8:20:47 PM4/14/10
"NotMe" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in news:hq5inf$7ab$2...@news.eternal-
september.org:

ENRON wasn't a telecommunications company, you idiot.

Even then, the government has done infinitely more damage than any
company including ENRON, MicroSoft, or Standard Oil - combined.

Think (if you can force yourself to do so) of the multi-digit inflation
caused by LBJ and his cronies, Carter's many blunders (including the
abandonment of the Shah and the resultant jump in the cost of fuel), and
the virtual destruction of the sense of unity of the American People by
those in control of the Democrat Party.

You seem to have been in a coma for the last 6 decades.

Lone Haranguer

Apr 14, 2010, 8:54:59 PM4/14/10
NotMe wrote:

> If it missed your notice industry has been sh|ttin in the air and water for
> years.

And what have YOU, personally done about it? In 1967 our Sportsman's club in
Belleville, Michigan took photos of Ford dumping their shit in the river and
had them hit with $500/day fines and a lot of bad publicity. We got film of
GM dumping old transmission fluid down the drains which ended up in the Huron
River. We had Belleville Lake closed to body contact because of the pollution
caused by Ford and those people on the lake had sufficient clout to see that
things changed. At the time I was the charter VP of the club but ran all the
operations because the president was an airline pilot for North Central and
was seldom in town.

I've noticed that liberals talk a lot about the environment and throw shit in
all directions but seldom do they actually DO anything constructive.
LZ

Lone Haranguer

Apr 14, 2010, 9:04:19 PM4/14/10
Communications was only a fraction of their holdings and when ENRON went down
the toilet, I didn't lose a dime.

The govenrment OTOH is out of control and answers to no one.
LZ

NotMe

Apr 14, 2010, 11:03:39 PM4/14/10

"Eregon" <Era...@Saphira.org> wrote in message

Obviously not but the business plan travels which is to say the big players
want to monetize the deliver of content in an anti-competitive environment..

An aside I've been involved with communications regulatory issues for near
50-60 years going back to the Carter Phone decision without which very
little of the services we enjoy today would be possible. Recall long
distance calls of < 50 miles was metered at $0.50 per min?

As to the abandonment of the Shah, as I recall Carter allowed the Shah
(suffering from terminal cancer) into the US for treatment which was in part
the trigger for some of the Anti-American issue the post Shah Iran.

NotMe

Apr 14, 2010, 11:12:53 PM4/14/10

| NotMe wrote:
| > "Lone Haranguer"<linu...@gmail.com> wrote in message
| >>

| >> I think it's all bullshit.
| >>
| >> Who has screwed you the most? The government or telecommunications
| >> companies?
| >
| > One word example ENRON, do you need more?
| >
| Communications was only a fraction of their holdings and when ENRON went
down
| the toilet, I didn't lose a dime.
|
| The government OTOH is out of control and answers to no one.
| LZ

Exactly how much input much less control did the general public have with
ENRON? By extension how much does the general public have with
Verion, ATT, Sprint.

Last I checked at lease we have one vote each and theoretically some input
into what goes on in government.

The government has been 'out of control' for a long time, yet it is only the
last year that you've taken active notice?

Lone Haranguer

Apr 14, 2010, 11:33:41 PM4/14/10
NotMe wrote:
> "Lone Haranguer"<linu...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> | NotMe wrote:
> |> "Lone Haranguer"<linu...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> |> One word example ENRON, do you need more?
> |>
> | Communications was only a fraction of their holdings and when ENRON went
> down
> | the toilet, I didn't lose a dime.
> |
> | The government OTOH is out of control and answers to no one.
> | LZ
>
> Exactly how much input much less control did the general public have with
> ENRON? By extension how much does the general public have with
> Verion, ATT, Sprint.

You can buy stock and also choose to be a customer or not.

> Last I checked at lease we have one vote each and theoretically some input
> into what goes on in government.

Money buys all the votes the crooks need. Where did a lot of Obama's money
come from? We don't know since he used the dodge of "anonymous" donors and
wouldn't disclose any information.

> The government has been 'out of control' for a long time, yet it is only the
> last year that you've taken active notice?

I've noticed since FDR was president and he had Democratic deadbeats installed
in every federal office.
LZ

Chuck Norris

Apr 14, 2010, 11:55:51 PM4/14/10
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 22:12:53 -0500, "NotMe" <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

>Exactly how much input much less control did the general public have with
>ENRON? By extension how much does the general public have with
>Verion, ATT, Sprint.
>
>Last I checked at lease we have one vote each and theoretically some input
>into what goes on in government.
>
>The government has been 'out of control' for a long time, yet it is only the
>last year that you've taken active notice?

As long as the Dems can get away with bussing in students to bolster
the vote for the dem candidate (So. Dak in the 90's) and vote the dead
by the tens of thousands (Chicago every 2 years), the 1 vote belief is
pure BS!

--

Come voting time ask yourself;
Am I any better off than I was a year ago?

Psalm 109:8

Chuck Norris

Eregon

Apr 15, 2010, 11:24:03 AM4/15/10
"NotMe" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in

> "Eregon" <Era...@Saphira.org> wrote in message
>| "NotMe" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in news:hq5inf$7ab$2...@news.eternal-
>| september.org:
>|

>| > "Lone Haranguer" <linu...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>| > One word example ENRON, do you need more?
>| >

>| ENRON wasn't a telecommunications company, you idiot.
>|
>| Even then, the government has done infinitely more damage than any
>| company including ENRON, MicroSoft, or Standard Oil - combined.
>|
>| Think (if you can force yourself to do so) of the multi-digit
>| inflation caused by LBJ and his cronies, Carter's many blunders
>| (including the abandonment of the Shah and the resultant jump in the
>| cost of fuel), and the virtual destruction of the sense of unity of
>| the American People by those in control of the Democrat Party.
>|
>| You seem to have been in a coma for the last 6 decades.
>
> Obviously not but the business plan travels which is to say the big
> players want to monetize the deliver of content in an anti-competitive
> environment..

Of course!

That's also why there are Anti-Trust laws on the Federal books that
politicians don't want enforced: MicroSoft, for example, and ENRON both
violated those laws but were not prosecuted under those statutes.

> An aside I've been involved with communications regulatory issues for
> near 50-60 years going back to the Carter Phone decision without which
> very little of the services we enjoy today would be possible. Recall
> long distance calls of < 50 miles was metered at $0.50 per min?
>
> As to the abandonment of the Shah, as I recall Carter allowed the Shah
> (suffering from terminal cancer) into the US for treatment which was
> in part the trigger for some of the Anti-American issue the post Shah
> Iran.

If Carter hadn't abandoned the Shah then he/his family would still be in
power and Khomeni would have died of old age in France. Additionally,
Iran wouldn't be working on building Nuclear Weapons either.

Eregon

Apr 15, 2010, 11:32:46 AM4/15/10
"NotMe" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in

> By extension how much does the general public have with
> Verion, ATT, Sprint.
>
> Last I checked at lease we have one vote each and theoretically some
> input into what goes on in government.

If you want votes with Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, Comcast, etc., then buy
some of their stock and you'll get 1 vote per share of stock that you
own.

As to the gummint, review bill horne's sig line. <EG>

--
The most frightening sentence in the English Language:

"I'm from the Government and I'm here to help you."

Chuck Norris

Apr 15, 2010, 1:28:07 PM4/15/10
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 18:18:47 -0500, "NotMe" <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

>> Today it's the airwaves, tomorrow it's the air.
>
>If it missed your notice industry has been sh|ttin in the air and water for
>years.

Industry in this country is the cleanest in the world. we are the
leaders in the technology. Show me ONE single industrial nation with
cleaner air.

The Phoenix area, back in the 60's-70's had a yellow-green air mass
visible looking to the east. When they closed the copper processing
facilities, it disappeared.

David "The Hamster" Malone

Apr 15, 2010, 3:03:27 PM4/15/10
On Apr 15, 1:28 pm, Chuck Norris <hamguy1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Industry in this country is the cleanest in the world.  we are the
> leaders in the technology.  Show me ONE single industrial nation with
> cleaner air.

I can show you 38...

http://www.forbes.com/2009/04/15/worlds-cleanest-countries-business-energy-clean-countries.html

http://tinyurl.com/ccwdqm

"The U.S., once a leader in environmental protection, has failed to
keep pace. "Starting 25 years ago, the United States started to fall
behind in relative terms. Before that time, Europe always had dirtier
air and drinking water," says Mark Levy, associate director of
Columbia University's earth science center.

Then-President George H. W. Bush signed the last significant American
air quality legislation in 1990, an amendment to the Clean Air Act.
The U.S. scores a meager 63.5 on the ecosystem vitality scale, vs. an
average score of 74.2 for the world's richest nations. The U.S.'
overall EPI score is 81, putting it in 39th place on the list."

David "The Hamster" Malone

Lone Haranguer

Apr 15, 2010, 4:01:28 PM4/15/10
David "The Hamster" Malone wrote:
> On Apr 15, 1:28 pm, Chuck Norris<hamguy1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Industry in this country is the cleanest in the world. we are the
>> leaders in the technology. Show me ONE single industrial nation with
>> cleaner air.
>
> I can show you 38...
>
> http://www.forbes.com/2009/04/15/worlds-cleanest-countries-business-energy-clean-countries.html

How "industrial" are those 38?

Colombia is ranked 9th and Costa Rica 10th? What polluting industries do they
have?

Why are we continually being bombarded with this dishonest bullshit?
LZ

Lone Haranguer

Apr 15, 2010, 4:05:11 PM4/15/10

Make that 5th for Costa Rica with this comment by a reader.

"I have lived in Costa Rica for nine years and I wish to tell everyone that
this story is a disgrace! The disclaimer at the end should be in BOLD LETTERS
at the top not the bottom. If this info......
LZ

Max

Apr 15, 2010, 5:46:30 PM4/15/10
"Chuck Norris" <hamgu...@gmail.com> wrote

> Industry in this country is the cleanest in the world. we are the
> leaders in the technology. Show me ONE single industrial nation with
> cleaner air.
>
> The Phoenix area, back in the 60's-70's had a yellow-green air mass
> visible looking to the east. When they closed the copper processing
> facilities, it disappeared.

> Chuck Norris

Damn right, Chuck. You tell them.
We might be dirty but we aren't as dirty as "they" are.
And as long as we aren't that dirty why change?
Right, Chuck?
Piss on 'em; if they can be dirty, so can we.

Max (sigh)

Don Lampson

Apr 15, 2010, 5:48:26 PM4/15/10
Linus
Costa Rica grows bananas, which are about as polluting as a strip
mining operation! Bananas are also douched with poison, and covered by
plastic bags, which wash down rivers, and out to sea by the hundreds
sometimes.....
However, Costa Rica is about the size of West Virginia! I wouldn't
call it an industrialized nation at all?
There's lots of mining in Colombia, so there's probably lots of lead
& mercury dumped into the rivers?
Who do you think was most accurate in their statement, Hamster, or
"Lardass", who claimed the US is the cleanest?
Mr. Earl

http://www.donlampson.com

nothermark

Apr 15, 2010, 6:22:01 PM4/15/10

Interesting as for years it was supposed to be the Republicans buying
votes with their big contributors.

The real issue is that our history is full of examples of the
government trying to get big business under control after they got too
greedy.

From my perspective I would prohibit communications companies from
owning or doing anything other than providing communications. That
would focus their energy toward doing it well. I do not want any
content from them.

NotMe

Apr 15, 2010, 6:36:06 PM4/15/10

"Lone Haranguer" <

>> Exactly how much input much less control did the general public have with
>> ENRON? By extension how much does the general public have with
>> Verion, ATT, Sprint.
>
> You can buy stock and also choose to be a customer or not.

Just how many areas are completively served by more than on broadband ISPs?
The choice is very limited.

>> Last I checked at lease we have one vote each and theoretically some
>> input
>> into what goes on in government.
>
> Money buys all the votes the crooks need. Where did a lot of Obama's
> money come from? We don't know since he used the dodge of "anonymous"
> donors and wouldn't disclose any information.
>>
>> The government has been 'out of control' for a long time, yet it is only
>> the
>> last year that you've taken active notice?
>
> I've noticed since FDR was president and he had Democratic deadbeats
> installed in every federal office.

Does the phase "You're doing a good job Brownie" have any relevance?

NotMe

Apr 15, 2010, 6:42:06 PM4/15/10

"Chuck Norris" <hamgu...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 18:18:47 -0500, "NotMe" <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
>

>>> Today it's the airwaves, tomorrow it's the air.
>>
>>If it missed your notice industry has been sh|ttin in the air and water
>>for
>>years.
>>

> Industry in this country is the cleanest in the world. we are the
> leaders in the technology. Show me ONE single industrial nation with
> cleaner air.
>
> The Phoenix area, back in the 60's-70's had a yellow-green air mass
> visible looking to the east. When they closed the copper processing
> facilities, it disappeared.

Dallas and Houston are on the horns of a dilemma wrt clean air issues. In
both heavy industry have been granted yard passes on the application of
clean air initiatives that industry proposed ~25 years ago.

LSU and Loyola law schools had a very effective, pro bono training program
that won major court cases over overt pollution in the oil and chemical
industry. The state of Louisiana's reaction was to outlaw such programs.

Lone Haranguer

Apr 15, 2010, 6:52:53 PM4/15/10
Air circulates. We can have the cleanest air around after spending billions
on scrubbers and other emission controls but when the wind blows from the
south we breathe air from Mexico.
You know that brown shit that often covers Big Bend NP where there is zero
industry?

Unless all countries have the same standards of what constitutes "clean air"
we are wasting a good share of our money.

If the air is bad where you live, move to where it is cleaner.
LZ

Lone Haranguer

Apr 15, 2010, 7:03:22 PM4/15/10
Don Lampson wrote:
> Linus
> Costa Rica grows bananas, which are about as polluting as a strip
> mining operation! Bananas are also douched with poison, and covered by
> plastic bags, which wash down rivers, and out to sea by the hundreds
> sometimes.....
> However, Costa Rica is about the size of West Virginia! I wouldn't
> call it an industrialized nation at all?

That was the point. Why did the hamster post a misleading and dishonest article?

> There's lots of mining in Colombia, so there's probably lots of lead
> & mercury dumped into the rivers?

You have failed to address air pollution which is what Chuck was discussing.

"Show me ONE single industrial nation with cleaner air."

> Who do you think was most accurate in their statement, Hamster, or

> "Lardass", who claimed the US is the cleanest?

"Show me ONE single industrial nation with
cleaner air. "

I didn't see much industry in Switzerland the last time I visited though. I
was really disappointed when my photos were developed and I found I should
have had a haze filter in place. You couldn't see across Lake Geneva.
LZ

Lone Haranguer

Apr 15, 2010, 7:14:55 PM4/15/10
NotMe wrote:
> "Lone Haranguer"<
>

>>> Exactly how much input much less control did the general public have with
>>> ENRON? By extension how much does the general public have with
>>> Verion, ATT, Sprint.
>>
>> You can buy stock and also choose to be a customer or not.
>
> Just how many areas are completively served by more than on broadband ISPs?
> The choice is very limited.

So take up full-timing in an RV and go where the action is.

>>> Last I checked at lease we have one vote each and theoretically some
>>> input
>>> into what goes on in government.
>>
>> Money buys all the votes the crooks need. Where did a lot of Obama's
>> money come from? We don't know since he used the dodge of "anonymous"
>> donors and wouldn't disclose any information.
>>>
>>> The government has been 'out of control' for a long time, yet it is only
>>> the
>>> last year that you've taken active notice?
>>
>> I've noticed since FDR was president and he had Democratic deadbeats
>> installed in every federal office.
>
> Does the phase "You're doing a good job Brownie" have any relevance?

Nope. Those who know the facts know that the mayor of New Orleans and the
governor of Louisiana were largely responsible for the disaster in New
Orleans. Of course a population that is used to sitting on their ass and
NEVER taking responsibility for their own welfare certainly is relevant.
LZ

NotMe

Apr 15, 2010, 10:01:47 PM4/15/10
"Lone Haranguer"

| >> I've noticed since FDR was president and he had Democratic deadbeats
| >> installed in every federal office.
| >
| > Does the phase "You're doing a good job Brownie" have any relevance?
|
| Nope. Those who know the facts know that the mayor of New Orleans and the
| governor of Louisiana were largely responsible for the disaster in New
| Orleans. Of course a population that is used to sitting on their ass and
| NEVER taking responsibility for their own welfare certainly is relevant.
| LZ

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That has to be the most asinine statement you've ever come up with.
Obviously missed your notice that LSU presented research to the COE and the
US government just a very few years in advance of Katrina that outlined the
exact scenario. The government did a cost analysis and determined it was
less expensive to take a chance on not addressing known and documented
problems some going back 20 years.

FYI you can't anchor a barge anywhere on the Mississippi River without the
express permission of the CoE much less do any maintenance on the levee
system.

Lone Haranguer

Apr 15, 2010, 11:03:22 PM4/15/10

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/02/10/katrina.brown/index.html

> That has to be the most asinine statement you've ever come up with.
> Obviously missed your notice that LSU presented research to the COE and the
> US government just a very few years in advance of Katrina that outlined the
> exact scenario.

Didn't the mayor or the governor read the research? Was the public informed?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/08/28/hurricane.katrina/

And Brown was supposed to fix that?

"About 70 percent of New Orleans is below sea level, and is protected from the
Mississippi River by a series of levees. (Full story)

Forecasters predicted the storm surge could reach 28 feet; the highest levees
around New Orleans are 18 feet high."

Yet the buses were still there and so were those hoping for miracle salvation.

So the people stayed KNOWING the surge was forecast to be 10 feet higher than
the levee?
And YOU want to blame the leaky levee?

The government did a cost analysis and determined it was
> less expensive to take a chance on not addressing known and documented
> problems some going back 20 years.

And people continued to rely on leaky levees while they lived below sea level.

> FYI you can't anchor a barge anywhere on the Mississippi River without the
> express permission of the CoE much less do any maintenance on the levee
> system.

So if the people were aware of the levee problem years in advance, why didn't
they move out?

Anyone with a TV or computer could track the storm and knew that staying was
stupid.
But they CHOSE to stay and have been whining about the results of that
decision ever since.
They've also milked the taxpayer for billions to compensate for their failure
to make a rational decision.

I think a lot of the "victims" stayed behind so they could loot and pillage.
LZ

Chuck Norris

Apr 15, 2010, 11:07:37 PM4/15/10
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 17:36:06 -0500, "NotMe" <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

>"Lone Haranguer" <
>

>>> Exactly how much input much less control did the general public have with
>>> ENRON? By extension how much does the general public have with
>>> Verion, ATT, Sprint.
>>
>> You can buy stock and also choose to be a customer or not.
>
>Just how many areas are completively served by more than on broadband ISPs?
>The choice is very limited.

Phoenix area has COX, QWEST, and I think one more. I use COX.

>>> Last I checked at lease we have one vote each and theoretically some
>>> input
>>> into what goes on in government.
>>
>> Money buys all the votes the crooks need. Where did a lot of Obama's
>> money come from? We don't know since he used the dodge of "anonymous"
>> donors and wouldn't disclose any information.
>>>
>>> The government has been 'out of control' for a long time, yet it is only
>>> the
>>> last year that you've taken active notice?
>>
>> I've noticed since FDR was president and he had Democratic deadbeats
>> installed in every federal office.
>
>Does the phase "You're doing a good job Brownie" have any relevance?

Chuck Norris

Apr 15, 2010, 11:10:16 PM4/15/10
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 21:01:47 -0500, "NotMe" <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

>BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>
>That has to be the most asinine statement you've ever come up with.
>Obviously missed your notice that LSU presented research to the COE and the
>US government just a very few years in advance of Katrina that outlined the
>exact scenario. The government did a cost analysis and determined it was
>less expensive to take a chance on not addressing known and documented
>problems some going back 20 years.
>
>FYI you can't anchor a barge anywhere on the Mississippi River without the
>express permission of the CoE much less do any maintenance on the levee
>system.

Barges on the Missouri have no bearing on the NO situation. The Gov
refused to allow any help and the mayor was even worse.

Chuck Norris

Apr 15, 2010, 11:11:28 PM4/15/10

You beat me to it. Thx.

Chuck Norris

Apr 15, 2010, 11:14:10 PM4/15/10
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 13:01:28 -0700, Lone Haranguer
<linu...@gmail.com> wrote:

Kinda like years ago Phoenix was proclaimed one of the most crime
riddled cities in the US. Of course, they failed to mention that
stolen cars were included in the stats. Phx was the onlyiest city to
record those numbers.

Chuck Norris

Apr 15, 2010, 11:18:27 PM4/15/10
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 14:48:26 -0700, DonLa...@webtv.net (Don Lampson)
wrote:

I resent the 'lardass' tag. I have been examined by competant medical
personnel and rendered basically lard free.

Chuck Norris

Apr 15, 2010, 11:21:01 PM4/15/10
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 15:46:30 -0600, "Max" <thesam...@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

We should continue to lead by example but we should not let idiots
destroy our economy by insisting on a pristine air/water ecoscape.

We use a lot of the earth's resources but we produce most of the
worlds products as a result.

Lone Haranguer

Apr 15, 2010, 11:56:36 PM4/15/10
Chuck Norris wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 14:48:26 -0700, DonLa...@webtv.net (Don Lampson)
> wrote:
>
>> Linus
>> Costa Rica grows bananas, which are about as polluting as a strip
>> mining operation! Bananas are also douched with poison, and covered by
>> plastic bags, which wash down rivers, and out to sea by the hundreds
>> sometimes.....
>> However, Costa Rica is about the size of West Virginia! I wouldn't
>> call it an industrialized nation at all?
>> There's lots of mining in Colombia, so there's probably lots of lead
>> & mercury dumped into the rivers?
>> Who do you think was most accurate in their statement, Hamster, or
>> "Lardass", who claimed the US is the cleanest?
>> Mr. Earl
>>
>> http://www.donlampson.com
>

> I resent the 'lardass' tag. I have been examined by competant medical
> personnel and rendered basically lard free.

Did they put you in a big black kettle with a fire under it? That's the way
my mother rendered lard... :)

You were fishing for that, I hope.
LZ

Bruce S

Apr 16, 2010, 12:07:08 AM4/16/10
NotMe wrote:
> "Lone Haranguer" <
>>>
>>> Exactly how much input much less control did the general public
>>> have with ENRON? By extension how much does the general public
>>> have with Verion, ATT, Sprint.
>>
>> You can buy stock and also choose to be a customer or not.
>
> Just how many areas are completively served by more than on broadband
> ISPs? The choice is very limited.

Once again, that is a result of government interference. We have monopolies
only where governments create and protect them. If there was real
competition, we would not need any government regulation of the industry at
all.

Bruce

Chuck Norris

Apr 16, 2010, 12:07:56 AM4/16/10

You betcha!

Thanks

Chuck Norris

Apr 16, 2010, 12:10:39 AM4/16/10
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 20:21:01 -0700, Chuck Norris
<hamgu...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 15:46:30 -0600, "Max" <thesam...@sbcglobal.net>
>wrote:
>
>>"Chuck Norris" <hamgu...@gmail.com> wrote
>>
>>> Industry in this country is the cleanest in the world. we are the
>>> leaders in the technology. Show me ONE single industrial nation with
>>> cleaner air.
>>>
>>> The Phoenix area, back in the 60's-70's had a yellow-green air mass
>>> visible looking to the east. When they closed the copper processing
>>> facilities, it disappeared.
>>
>>> Chuck Norris
>>
>>Damn right, Chuck. You tell them.
>>We might be dirty but we aren't as dirty as "they" are.
>>And as long as we aren't that dirty why change?
>>Right, Chuck?
>>Piss on 'em; if they can be dirty, so can we.
>>
>>Max (sigh)
>
>We should continue to lead by example but we should not let idiots
>destroy our economy by insisting on a pristine air/water ecoscape.
>
>We use a lot of the earth's resources but we produce most of the
>worlds products as a result.

We don't necessarily make the product here. Thanks to the unions for
driving costs up so high, we have to off load much of the production.

nothermark

Apr 16, 2010, 1:09:01 PM4/16/10
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 21:10:39 -0700, Chuck Norris
<hamgu...@gmail.com> wrote:

or sell it at the real cost

NotMe

Apr 17, 2010, 12:06:22 PM4/17/10

| On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 21:01:47 -0500, "NotMe" <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
|

| >BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
| >
| >That has to be the most asinine statement you've ever come up with.
| >Obviously missed your notice that LSU presented research to the COE and
the
| >US government just a very few years in advance of Katrina that outlined
the
| >exact scenario. The government did a cost analysis and determined it was
| >less expensive to take a chance on not addressing known and documented
| >problems some going back 20 years.
| >
| >FYI you can't anchor a barge anywhere on the Mississippi River without
the
| >express permission of the CoE much less do any maintenance on the levee
| >system.
| >

| Barges on the Missouri have no bearing on the NO situation.

The point was *nothing* can be done that has any impact on the levee system
without the express approval of the CoE.

| The Gov refused to allow any help and the mayor was even worse.

Selective mis-quoting of the tailored circumstantial data. There was no
such procedural requirement in any previous relief assistance be it in
Texas, Mississippi, Louisiana, Florida or any other area of the US suffering
a disaster. But but but this becomes the alibi de jour for this cluster
F**k?

The USAFR managed to get supplies to Alaska in the big quake 30+ years ago
in <48 hours, this from a base south of NOLA using C119s, the MATS managed
to get MREs to Afghanistan from Germany in the same time line. As I recall
Florida was a** deep in gen sets and ice the next day yet there was no way
to get supplies into NOLA (so was the claim) by road, water or air. We had
trucks in and out of NOLA within hours (took the route used by John Lafitte
the pirate and boot legers aka LA1) US had relief vessels in place in less
then 24 hours for the Tsunami yet vessels did not leave port for over a week
for Katrina. And the claim that the Federal Gov did not know about these
routes or that they 'though' they were impassable is B* (goggle had before
and after sat photos up very fast and there is no justification to the claim
that goggle had better info. Even if they did the info was presumable
available to FEMA.

There were offers by the marine industry to move water (several barge loads
~50X100X10 use to supply water to the oil rigs, ocean going vessels and
river toe boats) yet FEMA not only refused the offer but issued directives
prohibiting landing rights at the foot of Canal (which were within blocks of
the Superdome and the convention center. There were also offers to move
loaded tractor trailers to the foot of Canal (off loading facilities were
there for decades -- ferries land there every day and have for over 50
years) also refused.

There were bulk milk trucks with water (several thousands gallons each) that
were turned around by FEMA that within blocks of downtown NOLA while people
were without clean water.

Need I mention BlackWater had 'staff', with automatic weapons, in place
protecting the assets of the big boys and the residents of the big tourist
hotels?

Wal Mart donated a fleet of 18 wheels with supplies (recall they have access
to everything and much of it in WM shipping terminals) yet FEMA would not
allow them much below Baton Rouge.

Lone Haranguer

Apr 17, 2010, 12:17:59 PM4/17/10
So FEMA conspired to keep all supplies out of New Orleans? I rate that along
with the claim that the COE blew up the levee to deliberately flood part of
the city.

Did FEMA have armed people preventing use of the places you mention? I missed
that on TV. You should have unloaded all your fables on Shep Smith when he
was there reporting for Fox News. I'm sure his camera crew would have been
happy to film such actions.
LZ

nothermark

Apr 17, 2010, 12:33:01 PM4/17/10

As I recall the issue I kept hearing was NOLA and LA governments were
whining about lack of help on one hand while refusing to do simple
things like tell the Feds what they wanted and where to put it on the
other. As I keep hearing about the issues I keep comin go the came
conclusions. The NOLA mess was significantly enhanced by poor pre
planning and post organizaton by the local government. The state
government continued to mine it for political reasons.

NotMe

Apr 17, 2010, 1:34:37 PM4/17/10

"Lone Haranguer" <linu...@gmail.com> wrote in message

That's the best you can do?

Incompetence is often miss identified as conspiracy. FEMA's actions and
management was a classic case of incompetence. If fact it was only after
Gen Honor� was sent in that things began to take shape. I'll give GWB this
Honore was the one smart thing he did in that entire cluster f**k.

Was you dere Charlie? FWIW I didn't have to watch it on TV. We have
property, business and close extended family in the area since the early
1800's.

Yes FEMA had armed staff. May have been contracts or other LEO but there
were instances where their orders were enforced by armed individuals.

I recall more than a few early TV shots where FEMA claimed it was not
possible for surface transport to get into or out of NOLA -- there was a bit
of embarrassed silence when it was pointed out on live TV that the press (in
the plural) was there. Partially embarrassing: many arrived AFTER the sh\t
hit the fan but clearly before FEMA had more than token staff on the ground.

As I recall at least one Sheriff's flotilla was blocked from New Orleans
East by FEMA. It was only AFTER the interaction was shown on national cable
that the air boats were allowed into the area.

A few of my neighbors in N Texas worked for FEMA at the time (there is a big
FEMA facility on Loop 288 in Denton TX).

To quote Honor� you seem to be totally "stuck on stupid" wrt Katrina.

But go ahead and sing another verse of Stuck on Stupid as I'm done.

Lone Haranguer

Apr 17, 2010, 3:50:49 PM4/17/10
> Gen Honoré was sent in that things began to take shape. I'll give GWB this

> Honore was the one smart thing he did in that entire cluster f**k.
>
> Was you dere Charlie? FWIW I didn't have to watch it on TV. We have
> property, business and close extended family in the area since the early
> 1800's.

How much were you able to mooch out of the government as a result of Katrina?

Katrina showed us how many crooks live in New Orleans and vicinity.
LZ

David "The Hamster" Malone

Apr 19, 2010, 9:58:48 AM4/19/10
On Apr 15, 4:01 pm, Lone Haranguer <linus...@gmail.com> wrote:

> How "industrial" are those 38?

So you wouldn't consider, say, France, Austria, UK, Germany, Mexico,
or Canada to be industrial nations?

Come on - who's being dishonest now?

David "The Hamster" Malone

David "The Hamster" Malone

Apr 19, 2010, 10:10:36 AM4/19/10
On Apr 15, 7:03 pm, Lone Haranguer <linus...@gmail.com> wrote:

> That was the point.  Why did the hamster post a misleading and dishonest article?

I think the point is that you posted a deliberately misleading
response ignoring the many industrial nations that are better rated
than the US and focusing on Costa Rica to make some totally bullshit
comment about it not being 'industrial'.

As you could plainly see if you actually went to the source, there are
many major 'industrial' nations rated better than the US. Did you
actually read the study..?

I thought not.

Maybe you could tell us again why eg. France, UK, and Germany are not
considered 'industrial' countries?

David "The Hamster" Malone

Lone Haranguer

Apr 19, 2010, 10:19:36 AM4/19/10
David "The Hamster" Malone wrote:
> On Apr 15, 4:01 pm, Lone Haranguer<linus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> How "industrial" are those 38?
>
> So you wouldn't consider, say, France, Austria, UK, Germany, Mexico,
> or Canada to be industrial nations?
>
> Come on - who's being dishonest now?

<snicker > Still being a weasel. I don't see 38 countries in your list.
Your previous assertion intimated that ALL of the 38 countries were industrial
nations with cleaner environments than the U.S. Basically that was false
since many of the 38 are far from industrial.

Costa Rica? Are cigars industrial?

Your continual attempts to put down the U.S. is a sign of envy.
LZ

> David "The Hamster" Malone

Lone Haranguer

Apr 19, 2010, 10:22:22 AM4/19/10
David "The Hamster" Malone wrote:
> On Apr 15, 7:03 pm, Lone Haranguer<linus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> That was the point. Why did the hamster post a misleading and dishonest article?
>
> I think the point is that you posted a deliberately misleading
> response ignoring the many industrial nations that are better rated
> than the US and focusing on Costa Rica to make some totally bullshit
> comment about it not being 'industrial'.
>
> As you could plainly see if you actually went to the source, there are
> many major 'industrial' nations rated better than the US. Did you
> actually read the study..?

I read it. Including the disclaimer at the end, which as a reader from Costa
Rica pointed out, should have been posted at the beginning.

> I thought not.
>
> Maybe you could tell us again why eg. France, UK, and Germany are not
> considered 'industrial' countries?

<snicker > Still being a weasel. I don't see 38 countries in your list. Your

David "The Hamster" Malone

Apr 19, 2010, 10:24:08 AM4/19/10
On Apr 19, 10:19 am, Lone Haranguer <linus...@gmail.com> wrote:

> <snicker >  Still being a weasel.  I don't see 38 countries in your list.
> Your previous assertion intimated that ALL of the 38 countries were industrial
> nations with cleaner environments than the U.S.  Basically that was false
> since many of the 38 are far from industrial.

Chuckie baby asserted there wasn't even one. Was he right?

> Your continual attempts to put down the U.S. is a sign of envy.

Just trying to keep the smug, jingoistic morons among you honest.

David "The Hamster" Malone

Lone Haranguer

Apr 19, 2010, 10:56:20 AM4/19/10
David "The Hamster" Malone wrote:
> On Apr 19, 10:19 am, Lone Haranguer<linus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> <snicker> Still being a weasel. I don't see 38 countries in your list.
>> Your previous assertion intimated that ALL of the 38 countries were industrial
>> nations with cleaner environments than the U.S. Basically that was false
>> since many of the 38 are far from industrial.
>
> Chuckie baby asserted there wasn't even one. Was he right?

In most respects. I lived in Europe for 6 years. There are areas with clean
air and clean water but they would all fit into one U.S. state. OTOH, there
are areas in the U.S. with clean air and water that are larger than all of Europe.

>> Your continual attempts to put down the U.S. is a sign of envy.
>
> Just trying to keep the smug, jingoistic morons among you honest.

By being dishonest? Jingoistic are those who like to quote studies (many from
UN agencies) that attempt to put down the U.S. The UN is run by 3rd world
countries that feel better when they can publish a study that shows they are
superior. Statistics are juggled, fudged and cherry-picked. The UN's global
warming "study" is a classic case. Even rumors were published as "facts'

Only the ignorant accept them at face value.

David "The Hamster" Malone

Apr 19, 2010, 11:16:01 AM4/19/10
On Apr 19, 10:56 am, Lone Haranguer <linus...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In most respects.

Liar. Chuckie said... "Show me ONE single industrial nation with
cleaner air." I think there were quite a few on that list.

> I lived in Europe for 6 years.  There are areas with clean
> air and clean water but they would all fit into one U.S. state.  OTOH, there
> are areas in the U.S. with clean air and water that are larger than all of Europe.

That was about 50 years or so ago... things have changed... which is
what the study is trying to make you understand.

Just how thick are you...?

> Jingoistic are those who like to quote studies (many from
> UN agencies) that attempt to put down the U.S.

Nonsense... Jingoism is defined in the Oxford English Dictionary as
"extreme patriotism in the form of aggressive foreign policy".

> The UN is run by 3rd world
> countries that feel better when they can publish a study that shows they are
> superior.  Statistics are juggled, fudged and cherry-picked.  The UN's global
> warming "study" is a classic case.  Even rumors were published as "facts'

This study was done using indexes developed by Yale University and
Columbia University in collaboration with the World Economic Forum and
the Joint Research Centre of the European Commission..

> Only the ignorant accept them at face value.

Only the ignorant spout off without knowing what the hell they are
babbling about.

David "The Hamster" Malone

Lone Haranguer

Apr 19, 2010, 11:39:32 AM4/19/10
David "The Hamster" Malone wrote:
> On Apr 19, 10:56 am, Lone Haranguer<linus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> In most respects.
>
> Liar. Chuckie said... "Show me ONE single industrial nation with
> cleaner air." I think there were quite a few on that list.

Most of them have such dirty air that air travel has been suspended and you
rely on a biased study?

>> I lived in Europe for 6 years. There are areas with clean
>> air and clean water but they would all fit into one U.S. state. OTOH, there
>> are areas in the U.S. with clean air and water that are larger than all of Europe.
>
> That was about 50 years or so ago... things have changed... which is
> what the study is trying to make you understand.

The study is as valid as the studies "proving' we were undergoing catastrophic
climate change.

Who furnished the "proof"?

> Just how thick are you...?

Not as thick as those who buy every "study" published.

>> Jingoistic are those who like to quote studies (many from
>> UN agencies) that attempt to put down the U.S.
>
> Nonsense... Jingoism is defined in the Oxford English Dictionary as
> "extreme patriotism in the form of aggressive foreign policy".

Which is what people who continually put down the U.S. attempt to do by
asserting their superiority.

>> The UN is run by 3rd world
>> countries that feel better when they can publish a study that shows they are
>> superior. Statistics are juggled, fudged and cherry-picked. The UN's global
>> warming "study" is a classic case. Even rumors were published as "facts'
>
> This study was done using indexes developed by Yale University and
> Columbia University in collaboration with the World Economic Forum and
> the Joint Research Centre of the European Commission..

Actually done by liberal professors who were looking for more grant money.

>> Only the ignorant accept them at face value.
>
> Only the ignorant spout off without knowing what the hell they are
> babbling about.

That would be you. Only morons would place faith in a study that rates Costa
Rica as an "industrial" nation.

David "The Hamster" Malone

Apr 19, 2010, 12:00:42 PM4/19/10
On Apr 19, 11:39 am, Lone Haranguer <linus...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Most of them have such dirty air that air travel has been suspended and you
> rely on a biased study?

Most of them? Chuckie said show me ONE. Admit it... your ass is
showing.

> Which is what people who continually put down the U.S. attempt to do by
> asserting their superiority.

I would never put down the US - some of its senile inhabitants need to
be 'put down' though...

> Only morons would place faith in a study that rates Costa
> Rica as an "industrial" nation.

Nobody (except you, of course) ever implied that Cost Rica was an
industrial nation. You did however imply that France, UK, Germany,
Mexico and Canada were not industrial nations. So what's you
definition of 'industrial'?

David "The Hamster" Malone

Don Lampson

Apr 19, 2010, 12:14:56 PM4/19/10
Psssst, Hamster!
Linus thinks nobody can tell that he's just a lying blowhard if he
wraps his big windy in the American flag? Besides, he enjoys writing
about his adventures as a "happy private" in Europe 50 years ago.... You
know how he loves discussing himself whenever possible? HawHawHaw!
Just pretend that he's not repeating the same stories about himself
for the umpteenth time? HawHawHaw!
Don

http://www.donlampson.com

David "The Hamster" Malone

Apr 19, 2010, 12:42:48 PM4/19/10
On Apr 19, 12:14 pm, DonLamp...@webtv.net (Don Lampson) wrote:

> Psssst, Hamster!

Hey, Don... not that it has anything to do with clean air and such,
but I wrote the lyrics of a 'comic' song for you a while ago and
forgot to send it to you. Where should I send it - or, I can post it
here if you'd prefer...?

All you'd need is a catchy tune for the chorus - we;re talking AMA
awards here...

David "The rhyming Hamster" Malone

bill horne

Apr 19, 2010, 1:02:34 PM4/19/10
David "The Hamster" Malone wrote:

Does that mean it'll make you really healthy - or really sick? Or that
doctors will be playing it in ER's everywhere?

--
bill

David "The Hamster" Malone

Apr 19, 2010, 1:16:09 PM4/19/10
On Apr 19, 1:02 pm, bill horne <redy...@rye.net> wrote:

> Does that mean it'll make you really healthy - or really sick?

Depends whether you have a sense of humour (or even humor). But I was
talking American Music Awards...

>>Or that doctors will be playing it in ER's everywhere?

Everyone will be playing it everywhere.

David "The it's-gold-I-tell-ya Hamster" Malone

Chuck Norris

Apr 19, 2010, 1:30:47 PM4/19/10
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 06:58:48 -0700 (PDT), "David \"The Hamster\"
Malone" <mal...@ca.ibm.com> wrote:

>On Apr 15, 4:01 pm, Lone Haranguer <linus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> How "industrial" are those 38?
>
>So you wouldn't consider, say, France, Austria, UK, Germany, Mexico,
>or Canada to be industrial nations?

Have you seen the air quality in those countries. Germany especially!
Dean

>Come on - who's being dishonest now?
>
>David "The Hamster" Malone

Chuck Norris

Apr 19, 2010, 1:40:08 PM4/19/10
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 07:24:08 -0700 (PDT), "David \"The Hamster\"
Malone" <mal...@ca.ibm.com> wrote:

>On Apr 19, 10:19 am, Lone Haranguer <linus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> <snicker >  Still being a weasel.  I don't see 38 countries in your list.
>> Your previous assertion intimated that ALL of the 38 countries were industrial
>> nations with cleaner environments than the U.S.  Basically that was false
>> since many of the 38 are far from industrial.
>
>Chuckie baby asserted there wasn't even one. Was he right?

It is my understanding that my statement is correct. Of course if you
compare readings taken in our worst areas and compare to England in
the northern farm lands, you may be correct.

But to keep it fair, readings should be taken in places to represent
the air that the majority of the populations breathe.
dean

>> Your continual attempts to put down the U.S. is a sign of envy.
>
>Just trying to keep the smug, jingoistic morons among you honest.
>
>David "The Hamster" Malone

Chuck Norris

Apr 19, 2010, 1:45:33 PM4/19/10
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 08:16:01 -0700 (PDT), "David \"The Hamster\"
Malone" <mal...@ca.ibm.com> wrote:

>On Apr 19, 10:56 am, Lone Haranguer <linus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> In most respects.
>
>Liar. Chuckie said... "Show me ONE single industrial nation with
>cleaner air." I think there were quite a few on that list.

Show me the numbers and method of study. There are standards to be
used when making a scientific study. Show that these have been
followed and I will then agree.

Just like the proven liars in the GW science. Anyone who would
believe ANYTHING they say without verification is nuts. Same with the
UN "science". Pure "D" bunk.

David "The Hamster" Malone

Apr 19, 2010, 1:50:37 PM4/19/10
On Apr 19, 1:30 pm, Chuck Norris <hamguy1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >So you wouldn't consider, say, France, Austria, UK, Germany, Mexico,
> >or Canada to be industrial nations?
>
> Have you seen the air quality in those countries.  Germany especially!

Yes, I have... or at least France, UK, Germany and Canada... have
you?

FWIW, Germany has improved significantly since the 1990s.

David "The Hamster" Malone

David "The Hamster" Malone

Apr 19, 2010, 1:54:39 PM4/19/10
On Apr 19, 1:45 pm, Chuck Norris <hamguy1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Show me the numbers and method of study.  There are standards to be
> used when making a scientific study.  Show that these have been
> followed and I will then agree.

Lol... you first.

What are you basing your assertion on...? You have a feeling it may be
true...?

David "The Hamster" Malone

Lone Haranguer

Apr 19, 2010, 2:08:49 PM4/19/10
David "The Hamster" Malone wrote:
> On Apr 19, 11:39 am, Lone Haranguer<linus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Most of them have such dirty air that air travel has been suspended and you
>> rely on a biased study?
>
> Most of them? Chuckie said show me ONE. Admit it... your ass is
> showing.

No more than yours who believes that Costa Rica and other undeveloped
countries are industrial giants.

>> Which is what people who continually put down the U.S. attempt to do by
>> asserting their superiority.
>
> I would never put down the US - some of its senile inhabitants need to
> be 'put down' though...

You try to disparage the U.S. at every opportunity.

>> Only morons would place faith in a study that rates Costa
>> Rica as an "industrial" nation.
>
> Nobody (except you, of course) ever implied that Cost Rica was an
> industrial nation.

You did when you included it among "industrial" countries that had cleaner air
than the U.S.

You did however imply that France, UK, Germany,
> Mexico and Canada were not industrial nations. So what's you
> definition of 'industrial'?

I implied it by challenging your phony study? Hoo Hah!

Go do some useful work. Your balloon has been punctured.

Eregon

Apr 19, 2010, 2:14:10 PM4/19/10
"David \"The Hamster\" Malone" <mal...@ca.ibm.com> wrote in

The last I'd heard, the American Motorcycle Association didn't have any
Music awards...

OTOH, "Froggy" Lampson won't be winning any Music awards, either...

David "The Hamster" Malone

Apr 19, 2010, 2:18:59 PM4/19/10
On Apr 19, 2:08 pm, Lone Haranguer <linus...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You try to disparage the U.S. at every opportunity.

Lol... I'm sorry. I forgot you think the USA is the original garden of
Eden and superior in every way to everywhere else.

> I implied it by challenging your phony study?  Hoo Hah!

It's not my study. Just something I thought Dean should take into
consideration before tossing out chest-thumping, unsubstantiated
assertions.

Jingoism at its best.

David "The Hamster" Malone

Chuck Norris

Apr 19, 2010, 2:22:08 PM4/19/10

No one in their right mind would claim the air quality in those
nations is better than is found in the US. Again, I would require
readings be averaged in areas where the majority of the population
lives. I have friends in a number of those countries (ham radio ops)
and they marvel at the air quality here.

Why did China stop all industry for the olympics?

And, I fail to understand why you insist on claiming Costa Rica as an
industrialized nation. What is your basis for such?

David "The Hamster" Malone

Apr 19, 2010, 2:44:22 PM4/19/10
On Apr 19, 2:22 pm, Chuck Norris <hamguy1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> No one in their right mind would claim the air quality in those
> nations is better than is found in the US.

Are you saying the people at Yale and Columbia universities are not in
their right minds?

http://epi.yale.edu/Countries

That would explain a lot.

> Again, I would require
> readings be averaged in areas where the majority of the population
> lives.  I have  friends in a number of those countries (ham radio ops)
> and they marvel at the air quality here.

So you are basing your original statement on pure speculation and the
opinion of ham radio ops?

Or is it a faith-based thing like the Catholic church.

> And,  I fail to understand why you insist on claiming Costa Rica as an
> industrialized nation.  What is your basis for such?

Lol... are you trying to do a Linus?

David "The Hamster" Malone

Lone Haranguer

Apr 19, 2010, 3:07:50 PM4/19/10
David "The Hamster" Malone wrote:
> On Apr 19, 2:08 pm, Lone Haranguer<linus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> You try to disparage the U.S. at every opportunity.
>
> Lol... I'm sorry. I forgot you think the USA is the original garden of
> Eden and superior in every way to everywhere else.

Superior to every other country I've traveled in is all I need to base my
belief on.

>> I implied it by challenging your phony study? Hoo Hah!
>
> It's not my study. Just something I thought Dean should take into
> consideration before tossing out chest-thumping, unsubstantiated
> assertions.

His chest-thumping is as valid as bullshit assembled and called "a study" by a
group of ivory tower elitists.

> Jingoism at its best.

Something a good share of Canadians who travel to the U.S. are good at.

David "The Hamster" Malone

Apr 19, 2010, 3:44:21 PM4/19/10
On Apr 19, 3:07 pm, Lone Haranguer <linus...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Superior to every other country I've traveled in is all I need to base my
> belief on.

Really...? Both of them?

David "The Hamster" Malone

Don Lampson

Apr 19, 2010, 2:52:34 PM4/19/10
Hamster
Are you afraid of possible "critics" here on RORT? HawHawHaw!
I'd like to see it here? But, if your "sceert" of shot out,
talentless, mean spirited arseholes, who thought J. Edgar Ashcroft's,
"Let the Eagle Soar" was great songwriting, you can send it to me, so
those windbags won't try to hurt your feelings?
Remember, you were "almost" a winner in naming my record company?
Winners never quit, and quitters never win! A word to the wise should
be sufficient!
Don

http://www.donlampson.com

Lone Haranguer

Apr 19, 2010, 2:49:49 PM4/19/10
Don Lampson wrote:
> Just pretend that he's not repeating the same stories about himself
> for the umpteenth time? HawHawHaw!

I should deny that I spent 6 years in Europe and most likely saw more of it
than the hamster has?

Why would I do that? He can believe some professor from Columbia University
who looked at government "indexes" while I rely on first hand experience.

Only a no-brainer prison guard would even think he had the experience to
comment on the subject.
LZ

Lone Haranguer

Apr 19, 2010, 2:57:35 PM4/19/10
Chuck Norris wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 06:58:48 -0700 (PDT), "David \"The Hamster\"
> Malone"<mal...@ca.ibm.com> wrote:
>
>> On Apr 15, 4:01Â pm, Lone Haranguer<linus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> How "industrial" are those 38?
>>
>> So you wouldn't consider, say, France, Austria, UK, Germany, Mexico,
>> or Canada to be industrial nations?
>>

> Have you seen the air quality in those countries. Germany especially!
> Dean

"The worst acid rain problem globally has tended to be observed in Europe,"
LZ

Read more: What Is Acid Rain, Is It Still A Problem? - Blurtit
http://www.blurtit.com/q330298.html#ixzz0lZeERAmC

Eregon

Apr 19, 2010, 3:51:50 PM4/19/10
"David \"The Hamster\" Malone" <mal...@ca.ibm.com> wrote in news:c5940844-
ede6-47cb-afc...@b23g2000yqn.googlegroups.com:

> Are you saying the people at Yale and Columbia universities are not in
> their right minds?

Being ÜberLiberals, nothing about them is Right! <eg>

They're strictly Left-brain types...long on emotion but short on logic.
They _do_ have vivid imaginations, though.

Chuck Norris

Apr 19, 2010, 3:52:34 PM4/19/10

How many Nobel Prizes have gone to your list of 'in-dusty sanitized'
countries? I take pride in my country and will back it when ever it
is maligned. I would rather be overly protective in this regard than
destructively demeaning for political "acceptability".

Hell, Gore got a pulitzer and Nobel for smearing the US but was later
found to be just plain lying.

We may not be number one, but I believe we are way ahead of whoever is
in second place.

Chuck Norris

Apr 19, 2010, 3:54:50 PM4/19/10
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 12:07:50 -0700, Lone Haranguer
<linu...@gmail.com> wrote:

>David "The Hamster" Malone wrote:
>> On Apr 19, 2:08 pm, Lone Haranguer<linus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> You try to disparage the U.S. at every opportunity.
>>
>> Lol... I'm sorry. I forgot you think the USA is the original garden of
>> Eden and superior in every way to everywhere else.
>
>Superior to every other country I've traveled in is all I need to base my
>belief on.
>>
>>> I implied it by challenging your phony study? Hoo Hah!
>>
>> It's not my study. Just something I thought Dean should take into
>> consideration before tossing out chest-thumping, unsubstantiated
>> assertions.
>
>His chest-thumping is as valid as bullshit assembled and called "a study" by a
>group of ivory tower elitists.

Leather elbow patches on tweed jackets do not a smart person make.

>> Jingoism at its best.
>
>Something a good share of Canadians who travel to the U.S. are good at.
>LZ
>>
>> David "The Hamster" Malone

Chuck Norris

Apr 19, 2010, 3:56:33 PM4/19/10
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 11:44:22 -0700 (PDT), "David \"The Hamster\"
Malone" <mal...@ca.ibm.com> wrote:

>On Apr 19, 2:22 pm, Chuck Norris <hamguy1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> No one in their right mind would claim the air quality in those
>> nations is better than is found in the US.
>
>Are you saying the people at Yale and Columbia universities are not in
>their right minds?

I maintain they are elitist snobs who get their income by maligning
the US. So , yes, those jerks are not in their right minds.

>http://epi.yale.edu/Countries
>
>That would explain a lot.
>
>> Again, I would require
>> readings be averaged in areas where the majority of the population
>> lives.  I have  friends in a number of those countries (ham radio ops)
>> and they marvel at the air quality here.
>
>So you are basing your original statement on pure speculation and the
>opinion of ham radio ops?
>
>Or is it a faith-based thing like the Catholic church.
>
>> And,  I fail to understand why you insist on claiming Costa Rica as an
>> industrialized nation.  What is your basis for such?
>
>Lol... are you trying to do a Linus?
>
>David "The Hamster" Malone

Chuck Norris

Apr 19, 2010, 4:00:01 PM4/19/10
Malone" <mal...@ca.ibm.com> wrote:

>On Apr 19, 2:22 pm, Chuck Norris <hamguy1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> No one in their right mind would claim the air quality in those
>> nations is better than is found in the US.
>
>Are you saying the people at Yale and Columbia universities are not in
>their right minds?
>
>http://epi.yale.edu/Countries
>
>That would explain a lot.
>
>> Again, I would require
>> readings be averaged in areas where the majority of the population
>> lives.  I have  friends in a number of those countries (ham radio ops)
>> and they marvel at the air quality here.
>
>So you are basing your original statement on pure speculation and the
>opinion of ham radio ops?

These are people who are well traveled, mostly trained scientists, and
able to ascertain when the sky is totally fucked so as to make it
unbearable to breathe, yes. I have seen their pictures. And talked
with them extensively.

>Or is it a faith-based thing like the Catholic church.
>
>> And,  I fail to understand why you insist on claiming Costa Rica as an
>> industrialized nation.  What is your basis for such?
>
>Lol... are you trying to do a Linus?

Wouldn'y it be easier to answer my question?

>David "The Hamster" Malone

Chuck Norris

Apr 19, 2010, 4:04:01 PM4/19/10

I base it mainly on what I learned in my Environmental Law class
(taken in 1991, but probably even more correct today). Even the prof,
a left wing zealot had to agree with the Scholarly Treatises.

How much schooling have you had in the field?

Lone Haranguer

Apr 19, 2010, 4:10:29 PM4/19/10
David "The Hamster" Malone wrote:
> On Apr 19, 3:07 pm, Lone Haranguer<linus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Superior to every other country I've traveled in is all I need to base my
>> belief on.
>
> Really...? Both of them?

I'll cheerfully list the countries I've visited and lived in and compare it
with yours, you provincial clod. Most likely I had exceeded your lifetime
list by the time I was 25, which was 51 years ago.

David "The Hamster" Malone

Apr 19, 2010, 4:15:03 PM4/19/10
On Apr 19, 2:52 pm, DonLamp...@webtv.net (Don Lampson) wrote:

>   Are you afraid of possible "critics" here on RORT?  HawHawHaw!

Nope... I just didn't want the lyrics to be available to just any old
person. Who know, Linus may decide to make a new career in country
music? He's good at everything, you know.

Here are the lyrics... note, it's probably best to do a recitation for
the verses and you'd have to put some music to the chorus..

The Pharmacy in Viagara Falls

We've been married now for over forty years..
And we've been through laughter, joy, and sometimes tears
I know it's not in fashion
But I still love her with a passion
That gets even stronger... after drinking several beers...

She loves to watch the soaps from her easy chair
And imagine that the studs are here instead of there
But she can take things way too far
And when I got home from the bar
She was waiting for me... naked as a bear.

Chorus:
So I did what any man would do when duty calls...
I went down to Jim's Drug Palace
and I asked to see Alice
At the pharmacy in Viagra Falls

The first few days I tried to do my best
And did everything I could without a rest
But despite my best endeavor
Nothing seems to last forever
And eventually I couldn't pass the test...

Chorus:
So I did what any man would do when duty calls...
I went down to Jim's Drug Palace
and I asked to see Alice
At the pharmacy in Viagra Falls

This time I took a few more than before
Then, what the hey, I took a couple more...
And just as I'd envisioned
She forgot the television
And we snuck upstairs and firmly closed the door

All was good that night twixt me and Mabel
And we tried it on the floor... and on the table
But later on that day
It still hadn't gone away
And I recalled the warning on the label...

Chorus:
So I did what any man would do when duty calls...
I went down to Jim's Drug Palace
and I asked to see Alice
At the pharmacy in Viagra Falls

The doctor came all the way from Omemee
And he said are you just glad to see me?
I said, Doc, you're a joker
But just get rid of this here poker
And he gave me something strong to try and free me.

Chorus:
So I did what any man would do when duty calls...
I... um... gave up and watched TV instead.

David "The Hamster" Malone

David "The Hamster" Malone

Apr 19, 2010, 4:16:38 PM4/19/10
On Apr 19, 2:57 pm, Lone Haranguer <linus...@gmail.com> wrote:

> "The worst acid rain problem globally has tended to be observed in Europe,"

You're citing 'Blurtit' as an authority... lol.

David "The incredulous Hamster" Malone

David "The Hamster" Malone

Apr 19, 2010, 4:19:19 PM4/19/10
On Apr 19, 3:52 pm, Chuck Norris <hamguy1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hell, Gore got a pulitzer and Nobel for smearing the US but was later
> found to be just plain lying.

Hell, Obama got a Nobel for just showing up....

> We may not be number one, but I believe we are way ahead of whoever is
> in second place.

Lol... maybe you need to re-read what you just wrote...?

David "The Hamster" Malone

David "The Hamster" Malone

Apr 19, 2010, 4:23:41 PM4/19/10
On Apr 19, 4:04 pm, Chuck Norris <hamguy1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I base it mainly on what I learned in my Environmental Law class
> (taken in 1991, but probably even more correct today).  Even the prof,
> a left wing zealot had to agree with the Scholarly Treatises.

References are required - not vague claims about scholarly treatises.

> How much schooling have you had in the field?

Not much - we had actual school buildings. I did learn a few things
from a certain young lady in the field though...

David "The Hamster" Malone

Chuck Norris

Apr 19, 2010, 4:33:07 PM4/19/10

That line is easily 50 years old but I forget where it came from. It
is posted as it was originally. Would you like someone to 'splain it
to you?

Chuck Norris

Apr 19, 2010, 4:38:24 PM4/19/10
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 13:23:41 -0700 (PDT), "David \"The Hamster\"
Malone" <mal...@ca.ibm.com> wrote:

>On Apr 19, 4:04 pm, Chuck Norris <hamguy1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I base it mainly on what I learned in my Environmental Law class
>> (taken in 1991, but probably even more correct today).  Even the prof,
>> a left wing zealot had to agree with the Scholarly Treatises.
>
>References are required - not vague claims about scholarly treatises.

You are not worth any further discussion since you put up barriers you
know are nearly impossible to overcome. I rather suspect YOU are the
troll that has appeared on occasiob to post a reasonable sounding
question, only to put up barriers at every response.

>> How much schooling have you had in the field?
>
>Not much - we had actual school buildings. I did learn a few things
>from a certain young lady in the field though...

Yup and you have been fucking around with people ever since.

Bye-bye!

>David "The Hamster" Malone

Robert Bonomi

Apr 19, 2010, 6:05:07 PM4/19/10
In article <Xns9D5F869E...@74.209.131.10>,

Of course they do! Awarded on an irregular basis, and only for truely
outstanding work. The last one was for the straight pipes rendition of
"Och, Johnny, I Harley Knew Ye."

Lone Haranguer

Apr 19, 2010, 6:09:59 PM4/19/10
David "The Hamster" Malone wrote:

Don't give up that goofing off you call a job.
LZ

Lone Haranguer

Apr 19, 2010, 6:11:50 PM4/19/10
David "The Hamster" Malone wrote:
> On Apr 19, 2:57 pm, Lone Haranguer<linus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "The worst acid rain problem globally has tended to be observed in Europe,"
>
> You're citing 'Blurtit' as an authority... lol.

Also my friend who is a retired forester in Germany and an authority on acid rain.
LZ

Don Lampson

Apr 19, 2010, 8:22:15 PM4/19/10
Hamster
You show great promise as a lyrics writer! Your phrasing needs
improvement, but the humor shines through like a diamond in a goat's
ass!
The poem reminds me of something Robert Service might have written,
if there had been Viagra then? Are you a fan of Service? I certainly
am!
Linus & "Lardass" sure are "bullshitting brothers", aren't they?
They ought to be the poster boys for ignorance & arrogance? I guess
they think they're fooling others people?
Don

http://www.donlampson.com

Eregon

Apr 19, 2010, 9:20:30 PM4/19/10
bon...@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote in

And deservedly so - getting the bass notes right takes exceptional skill!
<G>

David "The Hamster" Malone

Apr 20, 2010, 9:25:22 AM4/20/10
On Apr 19, 6:11 pm, Lone Haranguer <linus...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Also my friend who is a retired forester in Germany and an authority on acid rain.

You have friends...?

David "The Hamster" Malone

David "The Hamster" Malone

Apr 20, 2010, 9:27:27 AM4/20/10
On Apr 19, 4:33 pm, Chuck Norris <hamguy1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> That line is easily 50 years old but I forget where it came from.  It
> is posted as it was originally.  Would you like someone to 'splain it
> to you?

Please do... another unattributed quote.

David "The Hamster" Malone

David "The Hamster" Malone

Apr 20, 2010, 9:40:33 AM4/20/10
On Apr 19, 8:22 pm, DonLamp...@webtv.net (Don Lampson) wrote:

>   You show great promise as a lyrics writer!  Your phrasing needs
> improvement,  but the humor shines through like a diamond in a goat's
> ass!

I wrote some lyrics for a Country & Western band here in Ontario many
years back. It was called 'I never sang for my father'. Stole the
title from a play by Robert Anderson - I think they also made a movie
of it. I tried to find a copy of the lyrics on the web but no luck - I
know I published them in some newsgroup. Now I can't even recall the
name of the band.

>   The poem reminds me of something Robert Service might have written,
> if there had been Viagra then?  Are you a fan of Service?  I certainly
> am!

I live to serve....

"There are strange things done in the midnight sun,
by the men who moil for gold..."

>   Linus & "Lardass"  sure are "bullshitting brothers",  aren't they?
> They ought to be the poster boys for ignorance & arrogance?  I guess
> they think they're fooling others people?

I should leave them alone, but sometimes I like to pull their
chains...

David "The Hamster" Malone

Lone Haranguer

Apr 20, 2010, 10:43:36 AM4/20/10
David "The Hamster" Malone wrote:
> On Apr 19, 6:11 pm, Lone Haranguer<linus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Also my friend who is a retired forester in Germany and an authority on acid rain.
>
> You have friends...?

Too many to count. Met him while taking a walk in the woods near our home in
Germany in the Fall of 1965. Forester for the city of Eschenbach but also had
several hunting leases. Since I had binoculars and was observing some Roe
deer, he asked if I had a hunting license. I said I did and was invited to
shoot a certain buck on his lease. He had been observing this particular deer
for 12 years and didn't want to be its executioner. Later I did shoot the
buck which won a silver medal at the Oberbiberach trophy shoe in 1966. Just
recently I archived some photos from the tropy show. I had permission to hunt
his leases alone, a rare privilege accorded to Americans. We spent a week
with him in 1984 and he spent a month with us in MN in 1985.

I treasure such friends and the internet has been a big asset for keeping in
touch and sending photos.

It is loading more messages.