Oscar Rivets

K&J Laurie

Sep 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/7/97

I just bought some window awnings from Camping World, and am looking at
the installation hardware. I quote from A&E's installation instructions
for installing the bottom of the mounting bracket:

"If you can find wood in the RV, drill four 1/8" diameter holes and
secure bottom mounting bracket using four #10 x 3/4" sheet metal
screws... If only the skin of the RV is to be used, drill four holes,
using a 13/64" drill bit, and secure the bottom mounting bracket using
3/16" diameter Oscar Rivets."

They supplied both the screws and the rivets, but I am not sure what to
do. I don't think my 1997 Bago has wood, but I'm not comfortable just
using the fiberglass skin either.

MY Questions:

Has anyone installed their own window awnings on a late model fiberglass
"windowed breadbox"?

Did you use these Oscar Rivets or the screws?

What sort of tool does it take to install an Oscar Rivet?

How have your awnings held up in windy conditions? Any pulling away at
the bottom mounting bracket?

Please reply either to this NG or e-mail me if you'd prefer.

Thanks.

KEITH

GYoung4823

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97

I watched my dealer install window awnings on my new FG sided MH. Most
of the holes drilled were in the FG although some hit the aluminum frame
work. I would drill 1/8" hole and use the screws if I hit metal and drill
the 13/64" where I didn't and use the rivets. A rivet installation tool
can be bought at Walmart or most any hardware store. I too had
reservations about the rivets holding in the FG but the FG is backed up
with 1/8" plywood. I have had no problems. Gee Bee

GYoung4823

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97

I think oscar rivets are what most of us refer to as pop rivets and FG is
Fiberglas.

GeeBee

Henry Horrocks

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97

An Oscar rivet is a cross between a pop rivet and a molly bolt.

GYoung4823 wrote in message
<19970916234...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

Erich Coiner

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97
to kei...@ix.netcom.com

R. Keith Heinsohn wrote:

> What's "FG?" What't an "oscar rivet?"
>
> ....Keith

FG= FiberGlass . never heard of an oscar rivet either.

Erich remove NOSPAM to reply

T, Patrick Culp

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97

A molly bolt is a bolt/nut apparatus that has a set of wings on the
lower part of the nut. This allows the wings and nut to be inserted in a
small hole. Then as the nut is tightened the wings flare out and holds
the nut against the back side of the hole. It is a very strong way to
hold a bolt in a weak surface like sheet metal or drywall. An Oscar
rivet is a nut that flares out against the sides of the hole trapping
the nut in the sheet metal. Or is it magic.. oh well I forget...
This is the kind of question that a picture would be worth a thousand
words. But NOT in this NG, well, maybe next year.....

--
The above may be only an opinion depending on how accurate it is
perceived to be.

T, Patrick Culp

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97

Judy wrote:

> Now another question...I know what a pop rivet is, but what is a molly
> bolt?
>
> Judy
Hello Judy, I hope this is easier to understand than it was to write.
:)

Judy

Sep 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/17/97

Judy

Sep 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/17/97

"T, Patrick Culp" <tpc...@pinnacleweb.com> writes: > A molly bolt is a bolt/nut apparatus that has a set of wings on the

> lower part of the nut. This allows the wings and nut to be inserted in a
> small hole. Then as the nut is tightened the wings flare out and holds
> the nut against the back side of the hole. It is a very strong way to
> hold a bolt in a weak surface like sheet metal or drywall. An Oscar
> rivet is a nut that flares out against the sides of the hole trapping
> the nut in the sheet metal. Or is it magic.. oh well I forget...
> This is the kind of question that a picture would be worth a thousand
> words. But NOT in this NG, well, maybe next year.....
>
> --
> The above may be only an opinion depending on how accurate it is
> perceived to be.
> ******* T. Patrick Culp *******
> Pinnacle Valve & Instrument
> http://www.pinnacleweb.com

Thanks. I've seen those things (molly bolts), just never heard them
called that. Kinda like our landlady, who was from West Virginia, who
asked me if I wanted to see her new clothes press. I didn't know if she
had a mangle, an iron, or what. It was what my grandma called a wardrobe.
Have since heard that piece of furniture called at least 4 or 5 other
things. It always helps the understanding when we're all reading from the
same page : )

Judy

ultrahots

Sep 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/17/97

Oscar Rivets.
Oscar Rivets are a little different than aluminum pop-rivets. On
an Oscar rivet, the rivet is split on two sides. This allows it to
mushroom to a larger diameter when installed.
I've looked in all the trailer places and hardware stores in my
area and cannot find Oscar rivets. Anyone know of a source for Oscar
rivets. The only time I have ever found them is in an awning kit.

Walt in CO.

H.D de Vries

Sep 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/17/97

TEST

Patrick Flowers

Sep 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/17/97

On 17 Sep 1997 04:55:25 GMT, Judy <big...@horizon.hit.net> wrote:

>Thanks. I've seen those things (molly bolts), just never heard them
>called that.

These are generically referred to as "wall anchors" most commonly used
to fasten something(preferably light) to a hollow gypsum board wall.
Once upon a time, long, long ago "moly-bolt" was probably someones
trademark for the metal, spring-loaded winged version. But the
trademark suffered the same fate as "Frisbee"(or "Sheetrock" for the
aforementioned gypsum board) when it became common usage for any wall
anchor. Most wall anchors in use these days are plastic as they will
fit into a smaller hole, but the old "winged wonder" is still
available.

Patrick
Patrick Flowers mailto:pat...@ibm.net

The GMC Motorhome Page
http://www.gmcmotorhome.com

"Reply to" changed to avoid spam email.
Change "nospam" to "net" or use the mailto link above.

H.D de Vries

Sep 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/17/97
TEST

H.D de Vries

Sep 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/17/97
Test

T, Patrick Culp

Sep 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/19/97

Judy wrote:

> Now another question...I know what a pop rivet is, but what is a molly
> bolt?
>
> Judy

Hello Judy, I hope this is easier to understand than it was to write.
:)

A molly bolt is a bolt/nut apparatus that has a set of wings on the
lower part of the nut. This allows the wings and nut to be inserted in a
small hole. Then as the nut is tightened the wings flare out and holds
the nut against the back side of the hole. It is a very strong way to
hold a bolt in a weak surface like sheet metal or drywall. An Oscar
rivet is a nut that flares out against the sides of the hole trapping
the nut in the sheet metal. Or is it magic.. oh well I forget...
This is the kind of question that a picture would be worth a thousand
words. But NOT in this NG, well, maybe next year.....

The above may be only an opinion depending on how accurate it is

remove the numbers Bruce Bergman

Sep 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/20/97

"Henry Horrocks" <Henry_H...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>An Oscar rivet is a cross between a pop rivet and a molly bolt.

>GYoung4823 wrote in message
><19970916234...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...
>>I think oscar rivets are what most of us refer to as pop rivets and FG is
>>Fiberglas.
>>
>> GeeBee

WARNING: If you're not careful, you may learn something. Probably
more than you *ever* wanted to know, too. :-) But here goes...

I think what Henry is referring to as an Oscar rivet (someone needed
a trade name, but it isn't very descriptive) is a.k.a. a Rivet-Nut,
InstaThreads (tm), ThreadSert (tm), or RivNut. Looks and installs
kinda like a regular pop rivet - except for internal threads where the
breakoff mandrel 'nail' would go.

You 'pop' it into the hole, then screw or bolt something to it.
Great for assembling stuff that has to come back apart easily. Comes
in several thread sizes, material grip thicknesses, flat or round
head, blind (sealed back), even steel, brass, and aluminum . Though
some specialized varieties will require a bit of searching. The
aircraft industry loves them (got my kit at All Aircraft Parts in Van
Nuys CA, and they stock many rivet varieties.) Installs with either a
special tool that looks like a pop rivet gun with a threaded mandrel,
or with a little threaded-nail adapter that screws in to the rivet and
then goes into a regular pop-rivet gun.

Sizes are limited in the pop-rivet-gun styles, but they are
available at good hardware stores. The specialized tool does 6-32,
8-32, 10-32, 10-24, 1/4-20, 5/16-18 and 3/8-16. Metric kit does
m3.5x0.6, m4x0.7, m5x0.8, m6x1.0, m8x1.25, m10x1.5

"The Nutter" Model 200-RNK-1 Creative Engineering Inc.,
(10 + years ago at...) 101-105 Tosca Dr., Stoughton, MA 02072

--<< Bruce >>--

--
**** ALTERED RETURN E-Mail ADDRESS To Reduce Spam - READ!! ****
Bruce Bergman, P. O. Box 394, Woodland Hills CA. 91365-0394 (USA)

fre...@comcast.net

Sep 18, 2015, 3:10:20 AM9/18/15
Hey gang, just my 2 cents here about rivets. Oscar rivets are slightly different than pop rivets, (though they look very similar and both can be installed with a pop-rivet gun), but , both pop rivets and Oscar rivets are FAR different than riv-nuts. Riv-nuts, nut-serts, riv-serts, which are all different names for the same thing. They look nothing like a pop-rivets or Oscar rivets. Riv-nuts are a round cylinder with a flange around one end and screw threads in the center of the cylinder or barrel. They are used mostly in sheet metal when something needs to be attached to the sheet metal with bolts or screws. The best way to install the nut-sert, (or riv-nut, riv-sert, etc.), is with a special nut-sett compression tool that looks slightly similar to a pop-rivet gun. The nut-sert is placed into a pre-drilled hole in the sheet metal that is large enough for the barrel of the nut-sert, but not the flange. So, the nut-sort sets in the hole against the flange, just waiting for the barrel to be compressed and mushroomed on the underside of the sheet metal and wallah! So, the nut-sert 'acts' like a rivet in function, but, is different in looks and purpose. After installing a nursery, you now have a threaded hole in the sheet metal ready to accept a bolt or screw! On the other hand, Oscar rivets are nothing more than pop rivets that have slots on the sides of the barrel, so that when compressed, have a larger and flatter mushroomed flange on the underside of your project, such as an RV wall.

Lone Haranguer

Sep 18, 2015, 11:56:35 AM9/18/15
Sounds like some of the junk recently removed from my lower spine.

LZ

Max

Sep 18, 2015, 4:49:39 PM9/18/15
On 9/18/2015 11:56 AM, Lone Haranguer wrote:
> fre...@comcast.net wrote:

SPAM

> Sounds like some of the junk recently removed from my lower spine.
>
> LZ

You could have cut off the spam part!!!

---

Lone Haranguer

Sep 18, 2015, 4:51:31 PM9/18/15
Max wrote:
> On 9/18/2015 11:56 AM, Lone Haranguer wrote:
>> fre...@comcast.net wrote:
>
> SPAM
>>
>> Sounds like some of the junk recently removed from my lower spine.
>>
>> LZ
>
> You could have cut off the spam part!!!

I thought it was knowledge that everyone would want to know.

LZ