Newbie RV travel questions

Patrick

Jul 23, 2002, 10:37:58 AM7/23/02
Hi there,

For the first time ever, we (Dutch couple) will rent an RV from
Canadream and discover Eastern Canada for 3,5 weeks.

Now, I have never seen an RV from the inside, so I do have a few
questions, maybe you can help me? Sorry if the questions sound a bit
stupid...

When do you use a full hookup?
We are used to camping in a small tent. So we took showers and went to
the toilets at the camping facilities. So now I wonder, do I really
need the use of electricity, water and sewer for an RV?

What would be the minimum hookup for an RV? Our RV has a fresh water
tank and an auxiliary battery. Using the facilities of the campground,
maybe only electricity is useful? Or is a water hookup also a 'good to
have'? Or can the tank be refilled on a 'central station' once in a
while?

That's all! (for now)

I hope you can help me with this. Thanks in advance!
Regards / Groeten
Patrick

http://www.geocities.com/p_matheeuwsen

GBinNC

Jul 23, 2002, 10:58:08 AM7/23/02
On 23 Jul 2002 07:37:58 -0700, pama...@hotmail.com (Patrick) wrote:

>When do you use a full hookup?
>We are used to camping in a small tent. So we took showers and went to
>the toilets at the camping facilities. So now I wonder, do I really
>need the use of electricity, water and sewer for an RV?

Hello, Patrick. If you camp at a place that has toilets and showers,
you will not need the hookups -- especially the sewer. (Often the fee
is lower for a site that does not have one or more of the hookups.)

>What would be the minimum hookup for an RV? Our RV has a fresh water
>tank and an auxiliary battery. Using the facilities of the campground,
>maybe only electricity is useful?

We use only electricity. We have a Class B ("van camper"), and when we
stay at a campground we connect only the electricity -- even if water
and sewer are available. We could do without the electricity, too, but
most campsites have it available and we use it so we don't have to be
concerned at all about running down the "house" (auxiliary) battery.

Since we use the toilets and showers in the campground facilities we
prefer just to use our own water in the tank rather than the
campground water. We fill the tank at home, so we know it's clean. We
just don't use enough water to need to hookup at a campground.
Besides, the water pressure at a campground is sometimes enough to
cause leaking problems in an RV water system, whereas the on-board
water pump is less likely to do that.

>Or can the tank be refilled on a 'central station' once in a while?

Almost every campground has a central water refilling station. So do
many truck stops, some highway rest areas, and other places (always
free, as far as I know). Most campgrounds also have a central "dump"
station where you can empty the sewer tank if you need to.

>I hope you can help me with this. Thanks in advance!

You're welcome. Have a safe and happy trip.

GB in NC

Ed Myers

Jul 23, 2002, 11:02:25 AM7/23/02

"GBinNC" <GBi...@yahoooo.com> wrote in message

One more precaution, if there is a language problem, when filling the water
tank be sure to NOT use the "non-potable" water. I have seen the potable
water hose very close to the dump station that also had the non-potable
hose.

GBinNC

Jul 23, 2002, 12:10:31 PM7/23/02
On Tue, 23 Jul 2002 15:02:25 GMT, "Ed Myers" <edm...@att.net> wrote:

>One more precaution, if there is a language problem, when filling the water
>tank be sure to NOT use the "non-potable" water. I have seen the potable
>water hose very close to the dump station that also had the non-potable
>hose.

Excellent point. And just for added clarity, "potable" means you CAN
drink it. "Non-potable" means it is NOT to drink.

(Some folks confuse the term "potable" with "portable"... <g>)

GB in NC

HHamp5246

Jul 23, 2002, 12:25:44 PM7/23/02
GB enlightened us with:

>(Some folks confuse the term "potable" with "portable"... <g>)

You mean this little tv I have isn't potable?

Hunter

one@home.com Wade

Jul 23, 2002, 12:32:00 PM7/23/02

"HHamp5246" <hham...@aol.comnospam> wrote in message
Only if you should use it as potty.
Wade

Ed Myers

Jul 23, 2002, 1:23:32 PM7/23/02
"HHamp5246" <hham...@aol.comnospam> wrote in message

Only if your potty has room for it.
Ed

Hughbd1

Jul 23, 2002, 1:23:25 PM7/23/02

I'm not so sure GB. I'm pretty sure I've heard some folks say "potable"
for portable stuff. <grin>
Hugh

RT Steele

Jul 23, 2002, 1:56:09 PM7/23/02
"GBinNC" wrote:

> Since we use the toilets and showers in the campground facilities we
> prefer just to use our own water in the tank rather than the
> campground water. We fill the tank at home, so we know it's clean. We
> just don't use enough water to need to hookup at a campground.

True, but haulin' and extra 350 - 400 lbs of water should be considered
also. Sometimes we fill at home when I know the well water at the hookup
doesn't suit us but for weight reasons I prefer keeping the tanks empty.

bill horne

Jul 23, 2002, 2:19:37 PM7/23/02

It is here in the Deep South - where even us dum rednecks know the
differnce tween poatabul and poatabul. And a bucket of wawtuh frum a gud
well is dubbul poatabul.

--
bill

Vigilance Committee

Jul 23, 2002, 2:47:29 PM7/23/02

Patrick wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> For the first time ever, we (Dutch couple) will rent an RV from
> Canadream and discover Eastern Canada for 3,5 weeks.
>
> Now, I have never seen an RV from the inside, so I do have a few
> questions, maybe you can help me? Sorry if the questions sound a bit
> stupid...
>
> When do you use a full hookup?

Whenever you find it convenient. Take a look at what you would call a
"caravan" in a European campground or dealer.

> We are used to camping in a small tent. So we took showers and went to
> the toilets at the camping facilities. So now I wonder, do I really
> need the use of electricity, water and sewer for an RV?

Normally all these will be available in your rented RV, IF you find a
good place to park for the night.

> What would be the minimum hookup for an RV? Our RV has a fresh water
> tank and an auxiliary battery. Using the facilities of the campground,
> maybe only electricity is useful? Or is a water hookup also a 'good to
> have'? Or can the tank be refilled on a 'central station' once in a
> while?

It's your choice. You can camp for several days without hookups, then
rent a space where you can dump your waste, fill with fresh water and
recharge your batteries.

> That's all! (for now)
>
> I hope you can help me with this. Thanks in advance!

Hope you have a nice tour.
LZ

Vigilance Committee

Jul 23, 2002, 3:03:56 PM7/23/02

Only if you have a drawl.
LZ

Robert Thomas

Jul 23, 2002, 5:09:15 PM7/23/02
GBinNC <GBi...@yahoooo.com> wrote in message
I thought it meant that you couldn't get it into a pot. BIG frozen chunks,
for instance.

grin

bob

Robert Thomas

Jul 23, 2002, 5:10:03 PM7/23/02
Wade <No o...@home.com> wrote in message
Either that, or if your pot is too small.

cheers

bob

Lon VanOstran

Jul 23, 2002, 6:16:56 PM7/23/02

In over 6 years of motorhoming, we have never been hooked up to city
water. We always carry water from home because we KNOW we can drink it
without suffering the revenge. Of course, when we go FT in 5 weeks all
that will change.

Lon

GBinNC

Jul 23, 2002, 6:37:45 PM7/23/02
On Tue, 23 Jul 2002 17:56:09 GMT, "RT Steele" <rts2...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>True, but haulin' and extra 350 - 400 lbs of water should be considered
>also. Sometimes we fill at home when I know the well water at the hookup
>doesn't suit us but for weight reasons I prefer keeping the tanks empty.

Well, my tank holds about 25 gallons -- a couple of hundred pounds --
and I can honestly say I have never even considered the weight of it,
nor do I intend to do so now.

My van weighs about 7800 lbs loaded for travel, and I seriously doubt
that I could tell the difference in driving, handling, power, braking,
or gas mileage if I reduced that by a couple of hundred pounds. And
even if I *could* feel it, the convenience of having a tankful of my
own pure, mountain deep-well water would be worth it.

If I were close to my weight limit I'd ditch some other stuff before
I'd ditch the water.

YMMV.

GB in NC

Steve R.

Jul 23, 2002, 7:37:24 PM7/23/02

"GBinNC" <GBi...@yahoooo.com> wrote in message

> On 23 Jul 2002 07:37:58 -0700, pama...@hotmail.com (Patrick) wrote:

<snip>> Besides, the water pressure at a campground is sometimes enough to

> cause leaking problems in an RV water system, whereas the on-board
> water pump is less likely to do that.

Patrick, if you decide to hookup to water at the campsite, be sure to use a
pressure regulator to eliminate the high pressure problem. They're around
eight bucks in the RV section at Walmart.

steve

<snip>

Steve R.

Jul 23, 2002, 7:38:42 PM7/23/02

"HHamp5246" <hham...@aol.comnospam> wrote in message
It is if you have a big enough pot. Hmm, I seem to be enlarging my pot
since retiring. Or is that a Dunlop?
steve

Will Sill

Jul 23, 2002, 8:30:33 PM7/23/02
Lon VanOstran <rv...@voyager.net> recently wrote these words:

>In over 6 years of motorhoming, we have never been hooked up to city
>water. We always carry water from home because we KNOW we can drink it
>without suffering the revenge. Of course, when we go FT in 5 weeks all
>that will change.

The last time we hooked up to CG water was 10-12 years ago when we
were doing consulting work and stayed in one place for several days at
a time. Otherwise we've always preferred to keep our tank full of
"home" water when possible. My bride has a very sensitive nose for
stinky water and we despise the stink of chlorine - so when we
expect to be away long enough to run out, we buy distilled water to
drink.

I have seen some strange looking stuff come outa CG faucets, and I
don't carry a microscope - if you get my drift.

Will KD3XR

Vigilance Committee

Jul 23, 2002, 8:47:22 PM7/23/02

So instead of letting your stomach adapt to new organisms you are going
to feed it all the new ones at one time? NOT a good idea.

The water supplies are safe to drink nearly everywhere. What you MAY
run into is a case of "gyp tummy" which is common in many parts of the
country. It is the minerals in the water, not living organisms. We
didn't recognize what it was at first but found out when we switched to
bottled water for drinking. We have favorite spots where we fill our
tanks, mostly because of low chlorine content. Some campgrounds with
private wells have really tasty water. If you travel to west Texas or
Arizona you will find water machines in nearly every town. Coffee made
with "reverse osmosis" water is much better tasting and so is frozen
juice concentrate. It runs from 20-35 cents per gallon. We always have
2 crates of water jugs in the pickup. We have been filling our water
tanks on the road since the winter of 87-88 without any problem besides
some sludge at a KOA in Texas. Since we added the two carbon filters on
the incoming water line, we have had absolutely no problem. BTW, South
Dakota is famous for its Gyp Tummy from the alkali in the water.
LZ

Meep

Jul 23, 2002, 9:00:10 PM7/23/02
BTW... I've heard that drinking *distilled* water is not a good idea. Better to choose bottled water that is not distilled.

Distilled water is processed in such a way to be very efficient at sucking out electrolytes and minerals from YOU which you
need causing your body to become excessively acidic.. the more distilled water you drink, the more acidic your body becomes.
Prologoned drinking of distilled water can (and does) creates an unhealthy imbalance which is potentially fatal (not sure how
much it takes to kill ya). Human bodies operate better at being slightly more alkaline than acidic (opposite). Even the EPA
advises against drinking distilled water (if the government really is a valid source...;) )

Check the web for lots of info on this.

"Will Sill" <wi...@epix.net> wrote in message

<snippage>

"....so when we expect to be away long enough to run out, we buy distilled water to
drink. "

Will Sill

Jul 23, 2002, 9:19:57 PM7/23/02
"Meep" <pr...@xexcite.com> recently wrote these words:

>BTW... I've heard that drinking *distilled* water is not a good idea. Better to choose bottled water that is not distilled.

If you listen to enough bozos, you'll eventually hear every untruth
known to man. I don't drink water in order to keep my mineral count
up - I want H2O and nothing more or less, thenkyewveddymuch.

If I was selling spring water and was dishonest, I'd tell people it
was "better" than distilled water too. But I'm not and I'm not.

DISCLAIMER:
My advice is useless. I have no university degrees and
have never towed a 34' TT with an Intrepid. Though I have
done some near-Darwin-award dumb things in the past, and
often still make errors, I currently own NO Banks headers,
fuel magnets, deer whistles, "Smart" solenoids or louvered
tailgates. I've never deliberately allowed a holding tank to
freeze solid, and have no financial interest in whether you
join RVCG, wear clothes, overinflate your tires or hate
Firestone. If you take my advice, I guarantee absolutely NOTHING.
Got that?
Will Sill KD3XR

Meep

Jul 23, 2002, 9:26:26 PM7/23/02
Ditto.

:)

midwesterner

Jul 23, 2002, 9:43:04 PM7/23/02
One of our newbie slight mistakes was getting full hookups when we
really didn't need full hookups.

Having said that, the definition of full hookups is different in the
northern Americas with their freezing weather. In the south, the
definition of full hookups is water, electric and sewer. In the north
where they have to worry about freezing pipes, full hookups may mean
just electricity and water.

If there is no water at the RV site, there will usually be someplace
where you can fill your tank. Don't set up with an empty water tank
until you know if there is water at your site. Otherwise, you need to
find the common faucet and fill up before leveling and all that good
stuff.

If you aren't staying for long periods, you don't need sewer at your
site, which sounds like your situation. I recommend getting an
electricity site followed by an electricity/water site if it is
available.

Sounds like you have a fun trip planned. Have fun!

HHamp5246

Jul 23, 2002, 10:10:29 PM7/23/02
In article <6Ol%8.28472$qB5....@news1.central.cox.net>, "Steve R."
<spamno...@cox.net> writes:

>Or is that a Dunlop?

It's Dunlop when your tummy dun lop over your belt.

Hunter

bill horne

Jul 23, 2002, 10:23:24 PM7/23/02

Then I offer you a method which has worked for me for over 30 years:
Start out with a tank of good water. When you stop somewhere, look at,
smell, and taste the water. If it passes, drink it. If your bottom
doesn't fall out, top off your tank before leaving. Otherwise, wait 'til
the next place. But please please please, don't become a Nervous Nellie.
There are so few of us Unnervous Nellies left, and we need all we can
get. Water is essentially a non-problem in the USA.

Steve R.

Jul 23, 2002, 10:26:22 PM7/23/02
yup, that's what i was referring to. if it ever cools down here i'll resume
those early morning walks.
steve

"HHamp5246" <hham...@aol.comnospam> wrote in message

HHamp5246

Jul 23, 2002, 10:34:00 PM7/23/02
>> In over 6 years of motorhoming, we have never been hooked up to city
>> water. We always carry water from home because we KNOW we can drink it
without suffering the revenge. Of course, when we go FT in 5 weeks all that
will change.>>

Hi Lon,

When I first started fulltiming I gave the cats and dogs only bottled water.

That got old fast. I have a filter under the sink so then I started giving
them just filtered water.... took forever to fill up the bowl so that got old
fast too....

Now I give them just tap water, remember I am always hooked to "city" water.
*I* almost only drink water from the filter thogh...... it's under the sink
with a faucet thing on the counter.

None of us have ever had a problem with the water.... I think it's a non issue.

Hunter

HHamp5246

Jul 23, 2002, 10:37:05 PM7/23/02
Steve wrote:

>yup, that's what i was referring to. if it ever cools down here i'll resume
>those early morning walks.

The dogs and I walk almost 3 miles every morning down at Melton Hill Dam here
in TN.... it's getting unbearable by 9:00 am.... the humidity I mean.....

Hunter

Patrick

Jul 24, 2002, 3:32:25 AM7/24/02
> Hello, Patrick. If you camp at a place that has toilets and showers,
> you will not need the hookups -- especially the sewer. (Often the fee
> is lower for a site that does not have one or more of the hookups.)

That's what I thought too. Thanks for the advice.

> We use only electricity. We have a Class B ("van camper"), and when we
> stay at a campground we connect only the electricity -- even if water
> and sewer are available. We could do without the electricity, too, but
> most campsites have it available and we use it so we don't have to be
> concerned at all about running down the "house" (auxiliary) battery.

Also a good advice! We have a motorhome called: MH-B Midi, I don't
know if I can compare this one with yours.

> Since we use the toilets and showers in the campground facilities we
> prefer just to use our own water in the tank rather than the
> campground water. We fill the tank at home, so we know it's clean. We
> just don't use enough water to need to hookup at a campground.

I've seen that for certain campgrounds (Like Algonquin, where we will
go to a.o.) the water must be boiled first, before usage. I guess,
we'll drink a lot of tea those days. :)

> Almost every campground has a central water refilling station. So do
> many truck stops, some highway rest areas, and other places (always
> free, as far as I know). Most campgrounds also have a central "dump"
> station where you can empty the sewer tank if you need to.

> >I hope you can help me with this. Thanks in advance!
>

> You're welcome. Have a safe and happy trip.

Thanks GB, your advice was very helpful. We're looking forward to the
trip!

Patrick

Jul 24, 2002, 3:35:30 AM7/24/02
"Ed Myers" <edm...@att.net> wrote in message news:<5ee%8.157

> > You're welcome. Have a safe and happy trip.
> >

> > GB in NC

> One more precaution, if there is a language problem, when filling the water
> tank be sure to NOT use the "non-potable" water. I have seen the potable
> water hose very close to the dump station that also had the non-potable
> hose.

'Potable' sounds French.
<looking up 'potable' in the English-Dutch dictionary>

Ah! Drinkable! Very useful to know that! Thanks.

I'll keep it in mind when we will fill that tank.

Patrick

Jul 24, 2002, 3:42:31 AM7/24/02
"Steve R." <spamno...@cox.net> wrote in message news:<UMl%8.28469$qB5....@news1.central.cox.net>...

Thanks Steve,

This is a rented RV via Canadream, I'm not sure if such an item is
already included with the inventory, who knows. But I'll keep it in
mind anyway.

And I hear about Walmart a lot in newsgroups and TV, I think I am
going to put that on my list of things to do: visit a Walmart! Then I
know what people are talking about.
(although I can think of better things to visit while being in
East-Canada ;)

Thanks
------
Regards / groeten
Patrick

http://www.geocities.com/p_matheeuwsen

Patrick

Jul 24, 2002, 3:45:49 AM7/24/02
Vigilance Committee <lin...@att.net> wrote in message

> It's your choice. You can camp for several days without hookups, then
> rent a space where you can dump your waste, fill with fresh water and
> recharge your batteries.
>
> > That's all! (for now)
> >
> > I hope you can help me with this. Thanks in advance!
>
> Hope you have a nice tour.
> LZ

Thanks LZ,

Ah well, I guess we'll find out how and what along the way. I just
wanted to know this, because the first few days I want to make a
reservation at a campground, making the reservation from home, here in
the Netherlands. There are several options, like full hookup,
electricity and water and so on. Now I know which one to choose...

---------------------------

Patrick

Jul 24, 2002, 3:52:59 AM7/24/02
> One of our newbie slight mistakes was getting full hookups when we
> really didn't need full hookups.

<snip>

> If there is no water at the RV site, there will usually be someplace
> where you can fill your tank. Don't set up with an empty water tank
> until you know if there is water at your site. Otherwise, you need to
> find the common faucet and fill up before leveling and all that good
> stuff.
>
> If you aren't staying for long periods, you don't need sewer at your
> site, which sounds like your situation. I recommend getting an
> electricity site followed by an electricity/water site if it is
> available.

Writing it down...electricity...then electricity/water..ha!
Thanks. I think, we will stay at a campground for 3 days maximum,
before we move on to the next one. It depends what kind of things we
can do there in the neighborhood.

> Sounds like you have a fun trip planned. Have fun!

Thanks again! We want to visit Algonquin, Montreal, Quebec,
Fredericton, Fundy, Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia. Enough to
see and do I think!
We are counting the days!
Six weeks to go...sigh...

Patrick

Jul 24, 2002, 3:57:31 AM7/24/02
bill horne <red...@rye.net> wrote in message news:<3D3E0F9C...@rye.net>...

> Then I offer you a method which has worked for me for over 30 years:
> Start out with a tank of good water. When you stop somewhere, look at,
> smell, and taste the water. If it passes, drink it. If your bottom
> doesn't fall out, top off your tank before leaving. Otherwise, wait 'til
> the next place. But please please please, don't become a Nervous Nellie.
> There are so few of us Unnervous Nellies left, and we need all we can
> get. Water is essentially a non-problem in the USA.

I've seen many good advice in this thread. I'm writing this one down
too. Thanks.

Nervous Nellie, that's a funny expression! Learning some new English
terms every day here. :)

Lon VanOstran

Jul 24, 2002, 5:53:58 AM7/24/02

I wasn't worried about it. I just haven't seen any sense in using an
assortment of water when I have "good" water available from home.

Lon

Peter Pan

Jul 24, 2002, 6:46:06 AM7/24/02

"Patrick" <pama...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]

You may want to consider what I and some others do, we travel with about 1/4
tank of water for toilet flushing etc, and pick up the gallon bottles of
water at local stores for drinking and cooking. Paper/Plastic plates and
plastic silverware eliminate a lot of dishwashing too (make sure you have
some garbage bags, running out of them is almost as annoying as running out
of toilet paper!)

GBinNC

Jul 24, 2002, 9:22:24 AM7/24/02
On 24 Jul 2002 00:57:31 -0700, pama...@hotmail.com (Patrick) wrote:

>Nervous Nellie, that's a funny expression! Learning some new English
>terms every day here. :)

Stick around and you'll learn lots more <g>.

(<g> means <grin>)

GB in NC

Meep

Jul 24, 2002, 10:24:09 AM7/24/02
I fill the tank with 'home' water but take bottles for drinking. The tank water, even from home, tastes like plastic when coming
from the tank. :/ I use the tank water for washing and toileting but not with food or mixing drinks.

Just me anywho...

Steve R.

Jul 24, 2002, 10:38:10 AM7/24/02
For weekend trips to parks we are familiar with we don't carry fresh water,
although my wife does continue to drink bottled water as she does at home.
On longer trips we carry a full tank of fresh water for a couple of
reasons:
1) potty stops while on the road
2) I like a glass of ice water with my lunch
3) in case we don't like the water at any of the campgrounds along the way.

If the tank gets down to half or less we'll refill at the first campground
where we do find the water acceptable.

steve

"Meep" <pr...@xexcite.com> wrote in message

BD (Dave) Thompson

Jul 24, 2002, 11:31:21 AM7/24/02

> BTW... I've heard that drinking *distilled* water is not a good idea.
Better to choose bottled water that is not distilled.

> Distilled water is processed in such a way to be very efficient at sucking
out electrolytes and minerals from YOU which you
> need causing your body to become excessively acidic.. the more distilled
water you drink, the more acidic your body becomes.
> Prologoned drinking of distilled water can (and does) creates an unhealthy
imbalance which is potentially fatal (not sure how
> much it takes to kill ya). Human bodies operate better at being slightly
more alkaline than acidic (opposite). Even the EPA
> advises against drinking distilled water (if the government really is a
valid source...;) )

> Check the web for lots of info on this.

Oh, PALEEEZ!!!! The only living systems that NEED minerals in the water
supply are plants. Since I don't have roots and receive needed minerals
from food, pure water sans minerals is not bad for me.

Please cite a specific EPA reference where they state that distilled water
is bad for human consumption.

--
Dave

one@home.com Wade

Jul 24, 2002, 11:40:40 AM7/24/02

"Meep" <pr...@xexcite.com> wrote in message
> BTW... I've heard that drinking *distilled* water is not a good idea.
Better to choose bottled water that is not distilled.

> Distilled water is processed in such a way to be very efficient at sucking
out electrolytes and minerals from YOU which you
> need causing your body to become excessively acidic.. the more distilled
water you drink, the more acidic your body becomes.
> Prologoned drinking of distilled water can (and does) creates an unhealthy
imbalance which is potentially fatal (not sure how
> much it takes to kill ya). Human bodies operate better at being slightly
more alkaline than acidic (opposite). Even the EPA
> advises against drinking distilled water (if the government really is a
valid source...;) )

> Check the web for lots of info on this.

Dammed there goes all them good distilled products like scotch, rum, vodka
all down the drain.
Wade

Happy Hunter

Jul 24, 2002, 12:49:16 PM7/24/02

"BD (Dave) Thompson" <bdtho...@byteme.lvcm.com> wrote in message

[snip]

> Oh, PALEEEZ!!!! The only living systems that NEED minerals in the water
> supply are plants. Since I don't have roots and receive needed minerals
> from food, pure water sans minerals is not bad for me.
>
> Please cite a specific EPA reference where they state that distilled water
> is bad for human consumption.
>
> --
> Dave

The reference was not to the amount of minerals you GET FROM water...it is
more related to the minerals that are already in your body being 'sucked'
out BECAUSE of the water. It's called osmosis...incase you missed 10th
grade chemistry class. Osmosis is where certain minerals are caused to pass
through a membrane because of higher concentrations on one side than the
other. It's a fact...distilled water will cause your body to lose minerals
that are indeed needed for healthy living.

Nate

Happy Hunter

Jul 24, 2002, 12:50:28 PM7/24/02

"Wade" <No o...@home.com> wrote in message

My drain will handle them better...send them to my house.

Nate

Steve B.

Jul 24, 2002, 1:16:44 PM7/24/02
The thing to remember is that with all the combinations, you can enjoy a hot
meal, a shower, and lights just about any place you are. You can do this at
a full service campground, or at a rustic roadside pullout.

You will have all the equipment to be comfortable wherever you land. That
is the beauty of RVing.

Steve

"Patrick" <pama...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Hi there,
>
> For the first time ever, we (Dutch couple) will rent an RV from
> Canadream and discover Eastern Canada for 3,5 weeks.
>
> Now, I have never seen an RV from the inside, so I do have a few
> questions, maybe you can help me? Sorry if the questions sound a bit
> stupid...
>
> When do you use a full hookup?
> We are used to camping in a small tent. So we took showers and went to
> the toilets at the camping facilities. So now I wonder, do I really
> need the use of electricity, water and sewer for an RV?
>
> What would be the minimum hookup for an RV? Our RV has a fresh water
> tank and an auxiliary battery. Using the facilities of the campground,
> maybe only electricity is useful? Or is a water hookup also a 'good to
> have'? Or can the tank be refilled on a 'central station' once in a
> while?
>

> That's all! (for now)
>
> I hope you can help me with this. Thanks in advance!

Will Sill

Jul 24, 2002, 1:57:03 PM7/24/02
"Happy Hunter" <cc...@nvbelldeletemeifyouwantotsendjunkmail.net>
recently wrote these words:

>The reference was not to the amount of minerals you GET FROM water...it is
>more related to the minerals that are already in your body being 'sucked'
>out BECAUSE of the water. It's called osmosis...incase you missed 10th
>grade chemistry class. Osmosis is where certain minerals are caused to pass
>through a membrane because of higher concentrations on one side than the
>other. It's a fact...distilled water will cause your body to lose minerals
>that are indeed needed for healthy living.

O my achin' back!

Another nut farm has lost a valuable member.

You want minerals in yer water? Trucksville PA used to have enough
to paint the tub yellow in a day, and would peel the ink off the
shower curtain from teh sulphur fumes. (OK, so I exaggerate a
LITTLE!)

"Most people are about as happy as they make up their
minds to be." [A. Lincoln]
Will KD3XR

bill horne

Jul 24, 2002, 3:02:31 PM7/24/02

That's why bourbon and branch water is so good for you. And while I've
drunk scotch and water, and vodka and water, I never really developed a
taste for rum and water.

Barrie Brozenske

Jul 24, 2002, 3:26:33 PM7/24/02
In article <3D3E0F9C...@rye.net>, red...@rye.net says...

> Water is essentially a non-problem in the USA.

Our experience agrees with Bill's; we fill where convenient, usually
where we dump, and fill after tasting it. We drink from the tank
supplied kitchen faucet, and we've not had a touch of any problem from
water or food in over 4 months traveling away from home, MA through FL,
MS, LA, TX, NM and return. We've not had to reject any water for poor
taste either, although the taste does vary a lot, and we like some better
than others....

WET beats empty in our tanks...every time. We do try to fill in places
intended for the purpose. We are careful to select water lines that are
labeled potable, are campground supplied, or lead to public drinking
fountains.

Regards,
Barrie B

Happy Hunter

Jul 24, 2002, 4:53:00 PM7/24/02

"Will Sill" <wi...@epix.net> wrote in message

Take a little time to read the post before responding to it. It has nothing
to do with the minerals IN the water.

Thanks for the warm welcome, BTW.

Nate

one@home.com Wade

Jul 24, 2002, 5:35:21 PM7/24/02

> Wade wrote:
> >

> > Dammed there goes all them good distilled products like scotch, rum,
vodka
> > all down the drain.
> > Wade
>
> That's why bourbon and branch water is so good for you. And while I've
> drunk scotch and water, and vodka and water, I never really developed a
> taste for rum and water.

Well with rum you will need distilled cola of course.
Wade

Will Sill

Jul 24, 2002, 5:56:12 PM7/24/02
recently wrote these words:

>> >The reference was not to the amount of minerals you GET FROM water...it
>is
>> >more related to the minerals that are already in your body being 'sucked'
>> >out BECAUSE of the water. It's called osmosis...incase you missed 10th
>> >grade chemistry class. Osmosis is where certain minerals are caused to
>pass
>> >through a membrane because of higher concentrations on one side than the
>> >other. It's a fact...distilled water will cause your body to lose
>minerals
>> >that are indeed needed for healthy living.

Sez me:

>> O my achin' back!
>>
>> Another nut farm has lost a valuable member.
>>
>> You want minerals in yer water? Trucksville PA used to have enough
>> to paint the tub yellow in a day, and would peel the ink off the
>> shower curtain from teh sulphur fumes. (OK, so I exaggerate a
>> LITTLE!)

Now he howls:

>Take a little time to read the post before responding to it. It has nothing
>to do with the minerals IN the water.
>
>Thanks for the warm welcome, BTW.

Yer welcome. Now if YOU will read the drivel you wrote and explain
how drinking mineral-laden water is going to counteract the tendency
(sorry I can't type this without smirking) for "the minerals that are

already in your body being 'sucked' out BECAUSE of the water".

EGAD!

Try that nutty statement where intelligent people gather, you'll get
the same kind of a warm welcome. Now you can start with the
crystals, fuel line magnets, and Elvis sightings.

This lecture brought to you free by Will Sill KD3XR, who
would like to advise you that dumb questions often produce
dumb answers in this newsgroup.

one@home.com Wade

Jul 24, 2002, 7:53:47 PM7/24/02

"Mark Filice hotmail.com>" <m_filice@<nospam> wrote in message
> In article <gUA%8.16985$8D3.68...@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>, "Happy
says...

> >The reference was not to the amount of minerals you GET FROM water...it
is
> >more related to the minerals that are already in your body being 'sucked'
> >out BECAUSE of the water. It's called osmosis...incase you missed 10th
> >grade chemistry class. Osmosis is where certain minerals are caused to
pass
> >through a membrane because of higher concentrations on one side than the
> >other. It's a fact...distilled water will cause your body to lose
minerals
> >that are indeed needed for healthy living.
> >
> >Nate
> >
> This link seems to disprove your "fact"....
>
> http://www.durastill.com/myths.html
>
> Mark, who never took Chemistry at any grade level, but knows how to do an
> internet search.....

Thanks Mark you are a life safer, good thing I held of with pouring all that
distilled firewater down the drain.
Wade

Meep

Jul 24, 2002, 11:42:17 PM7/24/02
I'm not an expert, just relating some of what I'd read and heard before. Since obviously there are other opinions I did some
searching about and found lots of diverse opinions - so I can't say what's right or wrong - never did ... just "what I'd heard". So
now I've heard more.

So, my eyes have been opened to more arguments on this topic. I can learn. :) So PULEEZE..... well.. never mind. :)

Meep

Jul 24, 2002, 11:47:14 PM7/24/02
Right. And you're missing it. Distilled water is not mineral laden - just the opposite. The theories (not mine!) talk about the
fact that the manner in which distilled water is processed makes it act like a sponge and efficiently remove minerals from your
body, being potentially harmful.

And, as posted somewhere up there... I've been made aware that there are many theories pro and con and I can't say if it's really
good or bad. I stand corrected in that I should have perhaps looked harder than the views I knew/had heard of. I'm open to that.
:)

Meep

Jul 24, 2002, 11:49:21 PM7/24/02
And... as I've found out... there are a gazillion (DISCLAIMER NOTE: NOT AN ACTUAL NUMBER BUT A TURN OF PHRASE THAT MEANS "A LOT"
sheesh) links pro and con... so who knows who's right?

"Wade" <wrote in message>

> http://www.durastill.com/myths.html

bill horne

Jul 24, 2002, 11:54:30 PM7/24/02

Are you also open to responding at the bottom if I inform you of the
fact that most normal human beings expect the answer to come After the
question, and the rebuttal to come After the claim?

Meep

Jul 25, 2002, 12:08:57 AM7/25/02
"bill horne" <red...@rye.net> wrote in message news:3D3F7676...@rye.net...

Are you also open to responding at the bottom if I inform you of the
fact that most normal human beings expect the answer to come After the
question, and the rebuttal to come After the claim?

--
bill

Sorry. Habit. Some NGs like top posting, some like the bottom. Guess this one's the bottom. I'm used to top...

nagendra...@gmail.com

Aug 30, 2017, 7:33:16 AM8/30/17
The best place for new & used All Terrain Trailers dealership, Sales in Newberg, Oregon. We have all the brands of RV parts and Accessories.

http://www.rvsalesnewberg.com/

chanti.ve...@gmail.com

Sep 16, 2017, 3:55:39 AM9/16/17
The best cheapest RV Trailers, RV Dealers , RV Sales and RV Rental & Services in Salem, Oregon. Visit for best RV Trailers.

http://www.cheapestrvtrailers.com/

naveen...@gmail.com

Oct 13, 2017, 12:19:02 PM10/13/17
http://www.rvsalesnewberg.com/

ATVS & XTVS | Salem, Newberg, Portland | Als Trailers sales

Als trailers is the best place for new & used All Terrain Trailers dealership, Sales in Newberg, Oregon. We have all the brands of RV parts and Accessories.

kamulasek...@gmail.com

Dec 16, 2017, 8:01:19 AM12/16/17
www.fifthwheelrvsalessalem.com

Pre Owned Fifth Wheel RV Sales in Salem | Als Trailers

Al's Trailers is one of the best pre owned RV dealers in Salem, Oregon. Visit our website for more range of Fifth wheel RV collections and many more brands.

tejart...@gmail.com

Jan 21, 2018, 1:54:52 PM1/21/18
http://www.fifthwheelrvsalessalem.com/usedrv.aspx
Used Pre Owned Fifth wheel RV Sales Salem, Portland, Oregon
Alstrailers have a wide range of collection of used Pre Owned RV sales in Salem, Portland. Visit our website for more range of collections of all models of RVS.

ramprak...@gmail.com

Mar 9, 2018, 1:50:06 PM3/9/18
https://www.i5rv.com/
New & Used RVs for sales and service in Oregon | i5rv
i5rv is the best RV sales & service for new and used RV sales in Oregon which are used for most equipped features for motor homes and fifth wheels.

neeraja....@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2018, 1:59:50 PM4/13/18

rkiran...@gmail.com

May 9, 2018, 6:15:35 AM5/9/18
https://www.i5rv.com/product/a-frame-trailer
A Frame Trailers | New RVs, Campers & Trailers in Portland Oregon | I5RV
I5RV is the best place to buy A Frame Trailers in RVs, campers, trailers. Check our competitive price with other RV Sales and Service vendors.

naveen...@gmail.com

Jun 7, 2018, 12:01:30 PM6/7/18
https://www.i5rv.com/used-rvs-for-sale
Used i5RVs | RVs dealers and RVs sales | i5RVs sales and service
i5rv provides the pre-owned dealers and sales for the motor homes and fifth wheel. Visit our website for more used i5rvs sales and services.

naveen...@gmail.com

Jun 27, 2018, 12:24:55 AM6/27/18
http://www.rvsalesportland.com/usedrv.aspx
Used Destination Trailers for Sale | Portland | Als Trailers
Alstrailers have a wide range of collection of used RV sales in Portland, sale – Portland. Visit our website for more range of collections of all models of RVS.

naveen...@gmail.com

Jul 3, 2018, 3:50:34 AM7/3/18

rkiran...@gmail.com

Aug 4, 2018, 5:59:09 AM8/4/18
https://www.i5rv.com/product/travel-trailer
New Travel Trailers for sale | Portland Oregon | I5RV
I5RV is the best place to buy new & used travel trailers. We are having most brands with competitive pricing on all our Travel Trailers RV models.

babyni...@gmail.com

Sep 5, 2018, 2:19:08 PM9/5/18
https://www.i5rv.com/product/motor-home-class-a
New & Used Motor home rvs for sale & service | I5RV
Visit I5RV for New & Used Motor home rvs for sale & service for all models. Check our competitive price with others for New & Used Motor home rvs.

nagendra...@gmail.com

Oct 1, 2018, 12:10:16 PM10/1/18

prasann...@gmail.com

Oct 26, 2018, 2:57:09 AM10/26/18
https://www.i5rv.com/rv-specials
RV Specials for Sale in Oregon | I5RV
Visit our special RVs with i5rv and get unbelievable discounts on our products. You never miss out on a new RV or used RV for sale at a much lower price than the MSRP

kiranya...@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2019, 12:36:21 AM1/8/19