Cacutta 200 /250 - differences?

Bill McKee

Dec 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/18/98
There was an advert for calcutta 200 and 250 awhile back. My question
is whats the difference in the 2 reels, other than one is a cast frame
and the other is a forged frame?

Bill

Richard Caldwell

Dec 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/21/98

From: Bill McKee <bmckee...@remove.ti.com>

The Calcutta 250, which is the one with the cold-forged frame, is a tiny
bit heavier than the Calcutta 200A, at 10.0 ounces. The 200A weighs 9.7
ounces.

Also, I have heard that the 250 has different ball bearings that are more
tightly sealed against saltwater, but I have not been able to verify
this.

Other than that, they are the same reel.

Richard

Bill McKee

Dec 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/22/98

Richard Caldwell wrote:

Thanks, about the conclusion I came to from looking at the specs. Was
looking at them as everyone says the Calcuttas are the best reel. Also they
are not that Bloody Stool color. ;-)
Was trying to figure out if was good deal, but for a used reel, don't figure
$30 off on a $150 reel is worth it.
Bill

Bill mcKee

Dec 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/22/98

Bass Rogue wrote:

> Bill,

> >Thanks, about the conclusion I came to from looking at the specs. Was
> >looking at them as everyone says the Calcuttas are the best reel. Also they
> >are not that Bloody Stool color. ;-)
>

> So, what are you saying here? Are you saying you have a monochrome monitor
> like Richard C? Or are you saying you're color blind too? Everybody knows
> that the big difference between a 200 and a 250 is what they look good with. A
> 200 looks real slick on a boat with silver speckles under the gel coat, and the
> 250 was made to go with gold speckles under the gel coat. Now, if you are into
> some real flash, then you'd be looking for copper speckles and a new Coriolis
> for Christmas :)
>
> Richard

I have a maroon and aluminum boat. both gold and silver would look good. The
Bloody Stool color of the Coriolis would clash, and my image needs all the help it
can get. Most of my reels would go with the BDN as they are shades of black.
Bill - needs all the image help he can get. Bum leg and can't even go fishn'.

Bass Rogue

Dec 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/23/98

Richard Caldwell

Dec 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/23/98

From: Bass Rogue <bass...@aol.com>

> Bill,
>
> >Thanks, about the conclusion I came to from looking at the specs. Was
> >looking at them as everyone says the Calcuttas are the best reel.
> >Also they are not that Bloody Stool color. ;-)

> So, what are you saying here? Are you saying you have a monochrome
> monitor like Richard C?

Hey! I heard that! My monitor is full color, thank you. But I just
don't like ugly colored reels. In fact, I bought a used Curado that was
the old, bright red model. I hated the color so much that I took the
reel apart and spray painted the side covers black. I left the front
piece red. It gives the reel a nice, 2-tone effect, and the little bit
of red on the front isn't bad at all. d8-]

> Or are you saying you're color blind too? Everybody knows that the big
> difference between a 200 and a 250 is what they look good with. A
> 200 looks real slick on a boat with silver speckles under the gel coat,
> and the 250 was made to go with gold speckles under the gel coat.

True, and the Rogue is the real expert about matching the colors of his
rods, reels, and boats. I don't have a boat, so I don't have to worry
about the color of the "speckles". d8-]

> Now, if you are into some real flash, then you'd be looking for copper
> speckles and a new Coriolis for Christmas :)

If someone gives me a new Coriolis for Christmas, I still have some of
that black spray paint left. d8-]

Richard C.

Bob Redding

Dec 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/23/98
A rose by any other color ....
--
Good fishing, and may your fish be as big as your tales!

Roger Lustri

Dec 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/23/98
> Hmmm, maybe that should
> be, bass boat hauling damn truck, or maybe bass boat damn hauling truck, or
> maybe ... Whatever, I feel a Icantgofishing depression coming on :)
>
> Richard

I'd be looking for a friend with a not so damned hauling bass boat truck and take
him fishin'.
--
fish ON!
Roger

Bass Rogue

Dec 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/24/98

Richard,

>Hey! I heard that! My monitor is full color, thank you.

So, what are you saying here? Are you claiming you're surfing the net with an
amber monitor :)

>In fact, I bought a used Curado that was
>the old, bright red model. I hated the color so much that I took the
>reel apart and spray painted the side covers black.

Now, I can see doing that; however, I'd probably take a dull black reel apart
and liven it up by spraying it a nice bright red :)

>True, and the Rogue is the real expert about matching the colors of his
>rods, reels, and boats. I don't have a boat, so I don't have to worry
>about the color of the "speckles".

So, what are you saying here? Are you claiming you will camp out on any color
bucket you find hanging around :)

>If someone gives me a new Coriolis for Christmas, I still have some of
>that black spray paint left. d8-]

Well, if you're that lucky, just remember a Coriolis doesn't come apart as
easily as a Curado. But then again, I suppose that depends on how good you are
with that ballpeen hammer of yours :)

Richard

Bass Rogue

Dec 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/24/98

Bill,

>Bill - needs all the image help he can get. Bum leg and can't even go
>fishn'.

Sorry to hear about the leg - well, to heck with the leg - sorry to hear you
can't go fishing. I just found out my damn bass boat hauling truck is going to
be in the shop until the end of the year. I was planning on picking it up
tomorrow. And to make matters worse, I just started my end of year holiday -
I'm off from now until January 4. So, what else can somebody do when their
damn bass boat hauling truck is busted and they ... Damn, that sounds like the
bass boat is damned, instead of the hauling truck ... Hmmm, maybe that should

Richard Caldwell

Dec 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/24/98

From: Bass Rogue <bass...@aol.com>

> Richard,

> >Hey! I heard that! My monitor is full color, thank you.
>
> So, what are you saying here? Are you claiming you're surfing the net
> with an amber monitor :)

Nope. It says "Vivitron", right on the front, not "Amber". d8-]

> > In fact, I bought a used Curado that was the old, bright red model.
> > I hated the color so much that I took the reel apart and spray
> > painted the side covers black.

> Now, I can see doing that; however, I'd probably take a dull black reel
> apart and liven it up by spraying it a nice bright red :)

I bet you can't find a can of paint that matches that Coriolis though.

> > True, and the Rogue is the real expert about matching the colors of
> > his rods, reels, and boats. I don't have a boat, so I don't have to
> > worry about the color of the "speckles".

> So, what are you saying here? Are you claiming you will camp out on
> any color bucket you find hanging around :)

Nope. I use white. It goes with *anything*, even worm guts. d8-]

> >If someone gives me a new Coriolis for Christmas, I still have some of
> >that black spray paint left. d8-]

> Well, if you're that lucky, just remember a Coriolis doesn't come apart
> as easily as a Curado. But then again, I suppose that depends on how
> good you are with that ballpeen hammer of yours :)

I also have a crowbar and a chisel, for the really *tough* reels. d8-]

Actually, the hardest reel I ever took apart was my first Chronarch.
They don't have any exposed screw heads, so I had to hunt around for a
while to find all the screws that were holding it together. Usually,
getting them apart isn't hard. It's putting them back together that's
the tricky part. The first time I worked on my Shimano Beastmaster
2-speed, it took me 15 minutes to take it apart, and 2 hours to get it
back together, and that was with another guy *helping* me. d8-[

Richard C.

Bass Rogue

Dec 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/25/98

Richard,

>Nope. It says "Vivitron", right on the front, not "Amber". d8-]

So, what are you admitting to the whole world here? Are you confessing you
didn't know the big difference between the two was gold and silver. Damn, I
would have stuck with the monochrome monitor excuse :)

>I bet you can't find a can of paint that matches that Coriolis though.

That's probably true. So, you figuring it's a secret formula like Coca Cola or
something like that? Damn, I knew that sucker was special :)

>Nope. I use white. It goes with *anything*, even worm guts. d8-]

So what you saying here? You saying Berkley is making new smelly worms with
guts and the whole bit now. Damn, I suppose the only place they can test them
is back there :)

>I also have a crowbar and a chisel, for the really *tough* reels. d8-]

Somehow I can see this :)

>Actually, the hardest reel I ever took apart was my first Chronarch.
>They don't have any exposed screw heads, so I had to hunt around for a
>while to find all the screws that were holding it together. Usually,
>getting them apart isn't hard. It's putting them back together that's
>the tricky part. The first time I worked on my Shimano Beastmaster
>2-speed, it took me 15 minutes to take it apart, and 2 hours to get it
>back together, and that was with another guy *helping* me. d8-[

Been there and done that. I look at some of these new reels and I keep
wondering why they need all those parts anyways. Damn, all we're trying to do
is gather up a little line in an orderly fashion :)

Richard

Bill mcKee

Dec 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/26/98

Roger Lustri wrote:

> > Hmmm, maybe that should
> > be, bass boat hauling damn truck, or maybe bass boat damn hauling truck, or
> > maybe ... Whatever, I feel a Icantgofishing depression coming on :)
> >
> > Richard
>

> I'd be looking for a friend with a not so damned hauling bass boat truck and take
> him fishin'.
> --
> fish ON!
> Roger

Jim Panky,
You can haul the BDN and then the Rogue will REALLY owe you! Won't be able to blame
his poor catchn' on you.
Bill

Richard Caldwell

Dec 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/28/98

From: Bass Rogue <bass...@aol.com>

> Richard,
>
> >Nope. It says "Vivitron", right on the front, not "Amber". d8-]
>
> So, what are you admitting to the whole world here? Are you confessing
> you didn't know the big difference between the two was gold and silver.
> Damn, I would have stuck with the monochrome monitor excuse :)

If all you do is look at the pictures, which is probably true for most of
your reading, then color would seem to be the only difference. However,
if you actually read the Specs., you will find that there *are* other
differences, however inconsequetial.

> That's probably true. So, you figuring it's a secret formula like Coca
> Cola or something like that?

No, I think the paint company screwed up on the color, then palmed it off
on Shimano for a sweet price.

> Damn, I knew that sucker was special :)

The *really* special thing is that not even the Coriolis' that they are
producing now are not the same color as yours. The first ones were a
more rosy hue. The ones that they are making now are closer to a brick
red. A Shimano Rep. told me that the name of the color is "cinnamon".

> So what you saying here? You saying Berkley is making new smelly worms
> with guts and the whole bit now.

No, I was talking about the live worms that I sometimes use for bait,
when I'm sittin' on my bucket.

> Damn, I suppose the only place they can test them is back there :)

One point of interest is that Berkley is cutting back on the number of
colors for their soft plastics. They have discontinued the Tequila
Sunrise color in the 10" worms, for one. So, I'll have to pick another
color, when I run out of the 100 pack that I'm working on.

> >I also have a crowbar and a chisel, for the really *tough* reels.
d8-]

> Somehow I can see this :)

> Been there and done that. I look at some of these new reels and I keep

> wondering why they need all those parts anyways. Damn, all we're
> trying to do is gather up a little line in an orderly fashion :)

So true, so true. I guess they figure that they have to have *some*
excuse for charging us $100+ for a glorified line holder. 8-]

Richard C.

Bass Rogue

Dec 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/29/98

Richard,

>One point of interest is that Berkley is cutting back on the number of
>colors for their soft plastics. They have discontinued the Tequila
>Sunrise color in the 10" worms, for one. So, I'll have to pick another
>color, when I run out of the 100 pack that I'm working on.

Well, I'm safe for now. I suppose it will be a while before they chop off the
4-inch finesse worms in Tequila Sunrise. On the other hand, we won't need
plastic worms anymore. I heard all we'll need is a few of the new Frenzy
lures. Seems to me I got a few of them in one of my BPS orders, but I'm not
sure I tried them yet. I keep thinking crankbaits aren't the way to go during
the winter. I need to rethink everything and do the Frenzy thing :)

Richard

Richard Caldwell

Dec 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/29/98

From: Bass Rogue <bass...@aol.com>

> Richard,

> >One point of interest is that Berkley is cutting back on the number of
> >colors for their soft plastics. They have discontinued the Tequila
> >Sunrise color in the 10" worms, for one. So, I'll have to pick
> >another color, when I run out of the 100 pack that I'm working on.

> Well, I'm safe for now. I suppose it will be a while before they chop
> off the 4-inch finesse worms in Tequila Sunrise.

I don't think so. I think that they guy I talked to said that they were
only going to make the 4" worms in very few colors. The 7" worms will
come in the widest variety of colors, which is not surprising.

> On the other hand, we won't need plastic worms anymore. I heard all
> we'll need is a few of the new Frenzy lures.

I have one of the new Frenzy Rat-L-Trap copies. I got it free by sending
in a card from an issue of Bass Masters. It looks nice, but I haven't
caught anything on it yet. I still like the Cotton Cordell Rattlin'
Spots the best.

> Seems to me I got a few of them in one of my BPS orders, but I'm not
> sure I tried them yet. I keep thinking crankbaits aren't the way to go
> during the winter. I need to rethink everything and do the Frenzy
> thing :)

I don't know about the Frenzy lures yet. The lipped crank-baits look
pretty good, but they're expensive. I'll probably stick with Bill
Norman's crankers. They work good and they're cheap.

Crank-baits are good in the fall, but about the only thing that's
supposed to be really good in the winter is a jig. Of course, Southern
California doesn't really have much of a winter, so I would imagine that
crank-baits would work well there all year 'round.

Richard C.

Bass Rogue

Dec 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/29/98

In article <Forum.914944949.7166.rcaldwell@osf095-dsc>, Richard Caldwell
<rcal...@oklaosf.state.ok.us> writes:

>I don't know about the Frenzy lures yet. The lipped crank-baits look
>pretty good, but they're expensive. I'll probably stick with Bill
>Norman's crankers. They work good and they're cheap.

But the Frenzy lures work better and so they're cheaper per fish. Haven't you
been following the advertisements that Berkley is putting out - Fish Feed on
the Action. Or how about this, "The fish behavior team at Berkley has actually
identified the specific action that triggers the instinctive feeding response
in fish." Now that's pretty damn impressive - well I'm pretty damn impressed -
well, I suppose I would be if I could catch fish with them new Frenzy lures.
But then again, I suppose it could be my fault - I probably don't have *the*
right retrieve rate and motion down yet :)

>Of course, Southern
>California doesn't really have much of a winter, so I would imagine that
>crank-baits would work well there all year 'round.

What you mean? I think we have the same number of days of winter as the rest
of the country :) Every once in awhile you can get a bass to jump on a crank
bait during the winter, but bass seem to follow a general yearly pattern. In
other words, when the short days show up out here, the bass go deep, move slow
and don't eat as often.

Richard

Bill McKee

Dec 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/29/98

Bass Rogue wrote:

Are you sure that they identified the "instinctive feeding response in fish." or
is it the "instinctive feeding response in fishing tackle buyers."? As to 7" and
4" worms, buy the 7" cut it in 1/2 and get 2 3.5" worms and split the tail, and
with the worm welder weld in a little piece of plastic to keep the tail apart.
Cheap finesse worms with good action. Actually got the splitting tip from Don
Iovino as he was demo-ing his Doodleing method at Bass-O-Rama.
Bill

Richard Caldwell

Dec 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/29/98

From: Bass Rogue <bass...@aol.com>

> In article <Forum.914944949.7166.rcaldwell@osf095-dsc>, Richard
> Caldwell

> >I don't know about the Frenzy lures yet. The lipped crank-baits look

> >pretty good, but they're expensive. I'll probably stick with Bill
> >Norman's crankers. They work good and they're cheap.
>
> But the Frenzy lures work better and so they're cheaper per fish.

I haven't caught *any* fish on my Frenzy lure yet. Of course, it didn't
cost me anything either, so I'm breaking even on the cost per fish. But,
if I had payed the rediculous price they want for the things at Wal-Mart,
the cost per fish would be infinite, as of right now. d8-]

> Haven't you been following the advertisements that Berkley is putting
> out - Fish Feed on the Action.

Not really. I only watch fishing shows when there is absolutely
*nothing* else on TV worth watching. Even then, I don't remember seeing
any Frenzy ads.

> Or how about this, "The fish behavior team at Berkley has actually
> identified the specific action that triggers the instinctive feeding
> response in fish."

Did they steal that line from the Banjo Minnow people, or did they pay
them for the rights? d8-]

> Now that's pretty damn impressive - well I'm pretty damn impressed -
> well, I suppose I would be if I could catch fish with them new Frenzy
> lures.

Tell me, do the Frenzy lures avoid snags better than other crank-baits,
or do they get themselves loose from snags? Now *that* would be a
feature I would be willing to pay for. But, then I'd have to stop buying
crank-baits, 'cause I would never lose any. What a quandry. ?8-[

> But then again, I suppose it could be my fault - I probably don't have
> *the* right retrieve rate and motion down yet :)

You're probably using one of those high-gear-ratio reels for cranking,
instead of one of those special made -CP crankin' reels. I use my
Shimano 2-speed reel and my Lew's for cranking.

The funny thing is that I hardly ever used crank-baits when I did all my
fishing from the bank. Since I started going with my neighbor, in his
boat, I have started using crank-baits and rattle-traps a lot, and like
them. The thing I have trouble with from the boat is worms & jigs,
because the damned boat won't hold still! d8-[

> What you mean? I think we have the same number of days of winter as
> the rest of the country :)

Only on the calendar, not on the thermometer. d8-]

> Every once in awhile you can get a bass to jump on a crank bait during
> the winter, but bass seem to follow a general yearly pattern. In
> other words, when the short days show up out here, the bass go deep,
> move slow and don't eat as often.

I agree that it probably has a lot to do with the length of the days.
How cold do the water temps get out there in the winter? Also, do you
have any lakes that provide cooling water to power plants. We have a
couple near here, and they stay warm all year 'round, which keeps the
bass more active.

Richard C.

Bob Redding

Dec 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/29/98
What is a worm welder?

Bill McKee

Dec 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/29/98

Bob Redding wrote:

An AA battery powered soldering gun like a pencil. Can repair torn
worms or change the tail to a different type or weld different colored
worms together. About 20 bucks. Couple of different brands available.
I have the Worm Welder brand, or at least it says WORM WELDER on the
side.
Bill

Bob Redding

Dec 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/29/98
Darn. And here I have been throwing them away (never in the
lake unless the Black Beauties get the idea they really
don't digest that well).

Bass Rogue

Dec 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/30/98

Richard,

>I haven't caught *any* fish on my Frenzy lure yet. Of course, it didn't
>cost me anything either, so I'm breaking even on the cost per fish. But,
>if I had payed the rediculous price they want for the things at Wal-Mart,
>the cost per fish would be infinite, as of right now. d8-]

Damn, you're talking about that divide by zero thingie. I haven't quite got
it nailed down yet, but between it and a limit approaching zero, I think it
might be better than the lottery :) Well, something like that.

>Not really. I only watch fishing shows when there is absolutely
>*nothing* else on TV worth watching. Even then, I don't remember seeing
>any Frenzy ads.

You got to work for the ads. They aren't just going to walk into your living
room - well, not yet anyway. Give B.A.S.S. and K-Mart a few more months, then
they'll be selling you Berkley Frenzy lures along with your evening news :)

>Did they steal that line from the Banjo Minnow people, or did they pay
>them for the rights? d8-]

I think the Banjo Minnow people figured out the genetic stuff about bass -
Berkley doesn't have that yet, they just got the instinctive stuff, which I
figure is a subset of the genetic stuff - well, something like that :)

>Tell me, do the Frenzy lures avoid snags better than other crank-baits,
>or do they get themselves loose from snags? Now *that* would be a
>feature I would be willing to pay for. But, then I'd have to stop buying
>crank-baits, 'cause I would never lose any. What a quandry. ?8-[

I haven't read that anywhere, but I'm sure they must do something like that to
trigger an instinctive feed urge. I mean, I can't see a bass getting all
worked up over a lure that gets hung up all over the place, so it stands to
reason, these lures swim around and over stuff. I bet you don't even have to
crank them in, they probably know how to do that on their own. Damn, I need to
get out on a lake and start slinging one of those instinctive feeding Frenzy
lures :)

>You're probably using one of those high-gear-ratio reels for cranking,
>instead of one of those special made -CP crankin' reels. I use my
>Shimano 2-speed reel and my Lew's for cranking.

Well, I don't know about that. I'm sure a got a reel for the ocassion.
Hopefully, it isn't too many layers down in the boat. Not to fear, I have all
my fishing rods and reels cataloged now so I know ... well, I have a bunch of
them cataloged. Damn, I need to either get more reels or I need to ... I
ordered some stuff from BPS and got a two-piece rod by mistake. I'm going to
keep it in case I need a two piece rod for something.

>The funny thing is that I hardly ever used crank-baits when I did all my
>fishing from the bank. Since I started going with my neighbor, in his
>boat, I have started using crank-baits and rattle-traps a lot, and like
>them. The thing I have trouble with from the boat is worms & jigs,
>because the damned boat won't hold still! d8-[

Boats can make fishing a challenge sometimes, especially when the winds get up
there. I'm thinking about getting an anchor this year. I just might drop it
over the side and still fish for a while. I just can't figure out where to
stick it on the boat. I don't have any room left - well, not unless I get rid
of sometime else. You know what would be nice is an inflatable anchor. It
wouldn't take up very much room until it was needed. But then again, I suppose
a canister of heavy air would take up a couple of cubics here and there. So,
who needs an anchor?

>Only on the calendar, not on the thermometer. d8-]

Know what you mean. I had the air conditioning on in the car today :)

>I agree that it probably has a lot to do with the length of the days.
>How cold do the water temps get out there in the winter? Also, do you
>have any lakes that provide cooling water to power plants. We have a
>couple near here, and they stay warm all year 'round, which keeps the
>bass more active.

I would think the waters get down to the low 50's - to high 40's on most of
the lakes. Big Bear in the mountains freezes over and Silverwood which is up
there a ways probably gets down into the high 30's. No cooling waters here
except for San Onofre which uses the ocean, and I'm not going out there in a
bass boat to test your theory.

Richard

Bass Rogue

Dec 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/30/98

Bob,

>What is a worm welder?

I'm not real sure, but I think it is guy with a blow torch and a hard on for
creepy crawlers - well, something like that :)

Richard

Bass Rogue

Dec 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/30/98

Bob,

>An AA battery powered soldering gun like a pencil.

Right, right, now I remember. It's a guy with a AA battery powered blow torch
and a hard on for ... well, something like that :)

richard

Richard Caldwell

Dec 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/30/98

From: Bass Rogue <bass...@aol.com>

> Damn, you're talking about that divide by zero thingie.

Yes, us computer types are always worrying about that one. d8-]

> I haven't quite got it nailed down yet, but between it and a limit
> approaching zero, I think it might be better than the lottery :)
> Well, something like that.

If you say so. I haven't won any lotteries yet, and the prize patrol is
conspicuous in its absence from my driveway.

> You got to work for the ads. They aren't just going to walk into your
> living room - well, not yet anyway. Give B.A.S.S. and K-Mart a few
> more months, then they'll be selling you Berkley Frenzy lures along
> with your evening news :)

You must be on a different cable feed from me. Every time I go channel
surfing, more channels are running ads than programs. That's even when
you discount the home shopping channels and the programs that are nothing
but sales pitches for the latest exercise machine. I wonder when they
will have a machine that imroves the muscle between your ears. If they
ever do that, they will have to shut down most of the channels. d8-]

> I think the Banjo Minnow people figured out the genetic stuff about
> bass -

Yes. Bass like to eat, and crippled minnows are easier to catch than
healthy ones. "Programmed genetic response" my ass. d8-]

> Berkley doesn't have that yet, they just got the instinctive stuff,

> which I figure is a subset of the genetic stuff - well, something like
> that :)

Anything that's instinctive *must* be genetic. Otherwise, it's a learned
behavior, and therefore *not* instinctive.

> I haven't read that anywhere, but I'm sure they must do something like
> that to trigger an instinctive feed urge. I mean, I can't see a bass
> getting all worked up over a lure that gets hung up all over the place,
> so it stands to reason, these lures swim around and over stuff. I bet
> you don't even have to crank them in, they probably know how to do that
> on their own.

Maybe you can just drop them in the water by the boat and they will swim
all over the lake by themselves, looking for bass. Then, when you get a
bite, you just reel the ugly sucker in. Now *that* is what I call a
crank-bait. If B.A.S.S. gets wind of this, they'll probably ban 'em.
d8-]

> Damn, I need to get out on a lake and start slinging one of those
> instinctive feeding Frenzy lures :)

I'd be happy just to get to a lake. There's another winter storm
scheduled to arrive here just in time for this weekend. I wanna talk to
that SOB who's in charge of cold-front departures up in Canada! d8-]

> Well, I don't know about that. I'm sure a got a reel for the ocassion.
> Hopefully, it isn't too many layers down in the boat. Not to fear, I
> have all my fishing rods and reels cataloged now so I know ... well, I
> have a bunch of them cataloged. Damn, I need to either get more reels
> or I need to ... I ordered some stuff from BPS and got a two-piece rod
> by mistake. I'm going to keep it in case I need a two piece rod for
> something.

Right. I wonder how much of thier stuff BPS gets rid of that way. I bet
they have a list of the suckers who keep the wrong stuff when they send
it. You are now on that list, so don't be surprised if they send you
something else you didn't want with your next order. Maybe they have
some more funny-colored reels that they need to get rid of. d8-]

> Boats can make fishing a challenge sometimes, especially when the winds
> get up there.

In Oklahoma, anything under 10 mph is considered a "dead calm".

> I'm thinking about getting an anchor this year. I just might drop it
> over the side and still fish for a while. I just can't figure out
> where to stick it on the boat. I don't have any room left - well, not
> unless I get rid of sometime else.

You could put it in the passenger's seat.

> You know what would be nice is an inflatable anchor. It wouldn't take
> up very much room until it was needed. But then again, I suppose
> a canister of heavy air would take up a couple of cubics here and
> there. So, who needs an anchor?

They make collapsing anchors that fold up into a fairly small (flat)
package. They are the hook type that grabs the bottom, instead of the
kind that work by weight alone. also, they make those claws that grab
onto a tree or post for tying your boat up to cover.

Another option would be to pick some of your less favorite rods and reels
and just tie a rope around several of them. When you find a spot that
you like, you can just throw them overboard, and tie the other end of the
rope to one end of the boat. That way, you'd have an anchor and more
room to move around on the deck at the same time. Whaddya think? d8-]

> Know what you mean. I had the air conditioning on in the car today :)

Show-off.

> I would think the waters get down to the low 50's - to high 40's on
> most of the lakes. Big Bear in the mountains freezes over and
> Silverwood which is up there a ways probably gets down into the high
> 30's.

That's pretty cool.

> No cooling waters here except for San Onofre which uses the ocean,
> and I'm not going out there in a bass boat to test your theory.

No, I wouldn't recommend it. Besides, one power plant probably doesn't
raise the temperature of the Pacific Ocean significantly.

Richard

Bass Rogue

Dec 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/30/98

Richard,

>If you say so. I haven't won any lotteries yet, and the prize patrol is
>conspicuous in its absence from my driveway.

I'm thinking about winning the lottery tonight, but first I need to buy a
ticket :)

>You must be on a different cable feed from me. Every time I go channel
>surfing, more channels are running ads than programs.

Wrose than that, i was talking about magazine advertisements :)

>Anything that's instinctive *must* be genetic. Otherwise, it's a learned
>behavior, and therefore *not* instinctive.

I've got it all figured out how Berkley does it. First they spend a million
dollars on a specially made fish tank so they can watch the lures they make.
Then they let everybody know they spent all that money on a fish tank and there
you go! It just stands to reason if you spend a lot of money making fishing
lures they just gotta work - well, something like that :)

>I'd be happy just to get to a lake. There's another winter storm
>scheduled to arrive here just in time for this weekend. I wanna talk to
>that SOB who's in charge of cold-front departures up in Canada! d8-]

I'm picking the bass boat hauling truck up this afternoon and I'm off to the
lake tomorrow. I need to go early to avoid the mid-day heat. I suppose I
should break out the summer fishing togs - I mean, I need to be styling when
I'm doing the Frenzy :)

>Right. I wonder how much of thier stuff BPS gets rid of that way. I bet
>they have a list of the suckers who keep the wrong stuff when they send
>it. You are now on that list, so don't be surprised if they send you
>something else you didn't want with your next order.

I've been on their wrong-stuff-sucker-list since order number one. I ordered a
seat pole for my other boat and they sent me one that looked like it had gone
through two wars and lost both. I sent it back to them. As far as rods go, I
think they have screwed up about four times now. Three of the times I kept the
rods and found a good use for them. The other time, it went back - wrong brand
- wrong model - wrong size - wrong everything except for the generic concept -
stick to catch fish :)

>In Oklahoma, anything under 10 mph is considered a "dead calm".

I haven't seen a breeze around here for a few days and that's unusal for this
time of year. Like last year, the weather out here is really strange. I
wonder if we are going to get the endless rains during the first part of next
year?

>You could put it in the passenger's seat.

Probably better company than I've had lately in there :)

>Also, they make those claws that grab

>onto a tree or post for tying your boat up to cover.

I got sometime like that. I call it a
Ropewithabigloopontheendthattightensupafteryouropethethingstickingoutofthewater
:)

>Another option would be to pick some of your less favorite rods and reels
>and just tie a rope around several of them. When you find a spot that
>you like, you can just throw them overboard, and tie the other end of the
>rope to one end of the boat. That way, you'd have an anchor and more
>room to move around on the deck at the same time. Whaddya think? d8-]

I like the idea of having more deck room, but I'm not going to use a Calcutta
for an anchor.

>Show-off.

Well, thank you:)

>That's pretty cool.

The lakes cool off pretty quick around here. Sometimes, I think the wind and
the dry air cause a bunch of evaporative cooling.

>No, I wouldn't recommend it. Besides, one power plant probably doesn't
>raise the temperature of the Pacific Ocean significantly.

So, you don't think San Onofre caused El Nino?

Richard

Richard Caldwell

Dec 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/30/98

From: Bass Rogue <bass...@aol.com>

> I'm thinking about winning the lottery tonight, but first I need to buy
> a ticket :)

We don't have any lottery in Oklahoma, so I'd have to drive to Texas, or
Kansas, or some other morally corrupt place to buy a ticket. d8-]

> Wrose than that, i was talking about magazine advertisements :)

Oh. I don't read fishing magazines. That's the only worse waste of time
than watching fishing TV shows, IMHO. My neighbor gave me a membership
to B.A.S.S. for Christmas, last year, along with the subscription to Bass
Master. That's where I got the card to send in for the free Frenzy
rattle-trap. I have glanced through the magazines, but I haven't read a
complete article yet. To me, fishing is something you *do*, not
something you read about. It's a Zen thing.

> I've got it all figured out how Berkley does it. First they spend a
> million dollars on a specially made fish tank so they can watch the
> lures they make. Then they let everybody know they spent all that
> money on a fish tank and there you go! It just stands to reason if you

> spend a lot of money making fishing lures they just gotta work - well,
> something like that :)

It works for a lot of other things, so it should work for fishing lures
too. Another approach would be to genetically engineer bass to bite
*only* your brand of lures, and then slip a few thousand fingerlings into
all the important bass lakes in the country. But, you'd have to be
sneaky, or the other lure companies would find out and raise Hell. d8-]

> I'm picking the bass boat hauling truck up this afternoon and I'm off
> to the lake tomorrow. I need to go early to avoid the mid-day heat.

Yeah, rub it in. d8-[

> I suppose I should break out the summer fishing togs - I mean, I need
> to be styling when I'm doing the Frenzy :)

You can borrow some sandals, shorts, or T-shirts from me. It's a cinch
that *I* won't be using them.

> I've been on their wrong-stuff-sucker-list since order number one.
> I ordered a seat pole for my other boat and they sent me one that
> looked like it had gone through two wars and lost both. I sent it back
> to them. As far as rods go, I think they have screwed up about four
> times now. Three of the times I kept the rods and found a good use for
> them. The other time, it went back - wrong brand - wrong model - wrong
> size - wrong everything except for the generic concept - stick to catch
> fish :)

Hey! 3 out of 4 ain't bad. You must be near the top of their sucker
list. I can just see it now. Some guy in the shipping Dept. says, "Hey,
boss, what do we do with these rods that we can't sell?", and the boss
says, "Ship 'em to the Bass Rogue, he'll buy *anything*." d8-]

> I haven't seen a breeze around here for a few days and that's unusal
> for this time of year.

The other day, some Chicago station was talking about how windy it was in
the "windy city". Ha! In OKC, the wind was *averaging* 10mph higher
than their *gusts*. In the book of lists, Chicago isn't even in the top
10 cities for average daily wind speed. OKC is second, behind Great
Falls Montana. Brrrrr! d8-*

> Like last year, the weather out here is really strange. I wonder if we
> are going to get the endless rains during the first part of next year?

I don't know. We had a record hot & dry Summer, the worst since the Dust
Bowl of 1936, followed by a very warm, wet Fall. Then, a couple weeks
ago, we got an Arctic blast that was colder than anything we've had in
years. I agree. The weather is crazy all over.

> Probably better company than I've had lately in there :)

That was my point, but I didn't want to rub it in *too* bad. d8-]

> I got sometime like that. I call it a

Ropewithabigloopontheendthattightensupafteryouropethethingstickingoutofthe
water

Works for me.

> I like the idea of having more deck room, but I'm not going to use a
> Calcutta for an anchor.

Mercy! I would hope that your Calcutta(s) wouldn't qualify as one of
your least favorite reels. Surely you have some old Diawas or
ABU-Garcias that you can use as anchors. d8-]

> The lakes cool off pretty quick around here. Sometimes, I think the
> wind and the dry air cause a bunch of evaporative cooling.

That's probably true.

> So, you don't think San Onofre caused El Nino?

No, but some environmentalist fanatics probably do.

Richard C.

Mike

Dec 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/30/98

Bass Rogue wrote in message
<19981229195256...@ngol03.aol.com>...

>Bob,
>
>>What is a worm welder?

Actually a worm welder is a small tool that utilizes a tip like a soldering
iron that is used for repairing plastic baits. It used to be used quite a
bit some years back.

>I'm not real sure, but I think it is guy with a blow torch and a hard on
for
>creepy crawlers - well, something like that :)
>
>Richard

Bass Rogue

Dec 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/31/98

Richard,

>We don't have any lottery in Oklahoma, so I'd have to drive to Texas, or
>Kansas, or some other morally corrupt place to buy a ticket. d8-]

I'd drive to Texas, it's probably warmer down there. Well, heading south
during the winter is generally better than heading north unless you're driving
a snow mobile - then it is a toss up :)

>I have glanced through the magazines, but I haven't read a
>complete article yet. To me, fishing is something you *do*, not
>something you read about. It's a Zen thing.

So, you nod off a lot - try vitamins, they might help :)

>It works for a lot of other things, so it should work for fishing lures
>too. Another approach would be to genetically engineer bass to bite
>*only* your brand of lures, and then slip a few thousand fingerlings into
>all the important bass lakes in the country. But, you'd have to be
>sneaky, or the other lure companies would find out and raise Hell. d8-]

Why the fingerlings? If we going to do this genetic stuff, I say we make baby
bass who start off at 18 pound and then get bigger. Don't worry about that
sneaky stuff, I think that comes naturally to males' especially ones who don't
like to get caught :)

>Yeah, rub it in. d8-[

Rub what in? I went down to pick up the bass boat hauling truck and it wasn't
ready. I thought about doing a little postal, but decided to hold off until
they finish the truck.

>Hey! 3 out of 4 ain't bad. You must be near the top of their sucker
>list. I can just see it now. Some guy in the shipping Dept. says, "Hey,
>boss, what do we do with these rods that we can't sell?", and the boss
>says, "Ship 'em to the Bass Rogue, he'll buy *anything*." d8-]

Hey, don't knock it, it really worked out pretty good. Those three rods were
the justification I needed to pick up a pair of Curados and a Chronarch :) And
I won't buy anything, I haven't bought anything for fishing since ... well,
it's been a long time ... kind of. Well, somethinh like that :)

>The other day, some Chicago station was talking about how windy it was in
>the "windy city". Ha! In OKC, the wind was *averaging* 10mph higher
>than their *gusts*. In the book of lists, Chicago isn't even in the top
>10 cities for average daily wind speed. OKC is second, behind Great
>Falls Montana. Brrrrr! d8-*

Hey, hot air has to go somewhere :) So, is OKC teaming with Chicago to supply
Great Fall :)

>Mercy! I would hope that your Calcutta(s) wouldn't qualify as one of
>your least favorite reels. Surely you have some old Diawas or
>ABU-Garcias that you can use as anchors. d8-]

Except for one Quantum, I only have Shimano reels. My Calcutta 200 is on the
bottom of my list. It's the one that has never work right. I'm going to send
it in one of these days and get it fixed. I picked up a Calcutta 100 somewhere
along the ways and that is one sweet reel. So, I know the 200 should be a
little bit better than it is. I also have a Curado that is near the bottom of
my list. The brake weights make noise, almost as if the drum isn't smooth. I
have another Curado that is quiet, it works like one would expect. I'm going
to send in the Curado too, when I send in the Calcutta. I just might drive
down to Shimano during lunch and drop them off. I think Shimano is in Costa
Mesa.

>No, but some environmentalist fanatics probably do.

Environmentalist fanatics? Damn, should I be one of them? Sound like it would
go good with SoCal and designer water :)

Richard

Richard Caldwell

Dec 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/31/98

From: Bass Rogue <bass...@aol.com>

> I'd drive to Texas, it's probably warmer down there.

2 weeks ago, I *couldn't* drive to Texas. The roads were closed because
of an ice storm. It was colder in Kansas, but the roads weren't covered
with a coating of black ice.

> Well, heading south during the winter is generally better than heading
> north unless you're driving a snow mobile - then it is a toss up :)

In general, I agree.

> So, you nod off a lot - try vitamins, they might help :)

No, I don't nod off while reading. I just get bored easily.

> Why the fingerlings? If we going to do this genetic stuff, I say we
> make baby bass who start off at 18 pound and then get bigger.

Sounds good to me. Can you imagine the mama bass that lays the eggs for
18# hatchlings? To quote one of my favorite movies, "You're gonna need a
bigger boat!" d8-]

> Don't worry about that sneaky stuff, I think that comes naturally to
> males' especially ones who don't like to get caught :)

Hell, females are even sneakier than males. d8-]

> Rub what in?

The fact that you have "mid-day heat". We're fresh out. d8-[

> I went down to pick up the bass boat hauling truck and it wasn't
> ready. I thought about doing a little postal, but decided to hold off
> until they finish the truck.

Sorry about the truck. Mine's ready to go, anytime, anyplace. I even
have a 2" trailer ball on the bumper, but no trailer-light kit.

> Hey, don't knock it, it really worked out pretty good. Those three
> rods were the justification I needed to pick up a pair of Curados and
> a Chronarch :)

Well, almost *any* rod works good with a Curado or Chronarch on it. d8-]

> And I won't buy anything, I haven't bought anything for fishing since

> ... well, it's been a long time ... kind of. Well, something like that
> :)

Yeah, I know. My tackle box is over-stuffed too. d8-]

> Hey, hot air has to go somewhere :) So, is OKC teaming with Chicago to
> supply Great Fall :)

No, the reason that there's so much wind in Oklahoma is that Texas and
Kansas take turns sucking and blowing. We get caught in the middle. d8-]

> Except for one Quantum, I only have Shimano reels. My Calcutta 200 is

> on the bottom of my list. It's the one that has never worked right.

> I'm going to send it in one of these days and get it fixed. I picked
> up a Calcutta 100 somewhere along the ways and that is one sweet reel.
> So, I know the 200 should be a little bit better than it is. I also
> have a Curado that is near the bottom of my list. The brake weights
> make noise, almost as if the drum isn't smooth. I have another Curado
> that is quiet, it works like one would expect. I'm going to send in
> the Curado too, when I send in the Calcutta. I just might drive
> down to Shimano during lunch and drop them off. I think Shimano is in
> Costa Mesa.

I have worked on a couple of Shimanos. The noisy weights seems to be one
of the few things that could be called a "common problem". The last one
I worked on was a Curado. The pinion gear had burrs on the part that
engages the spool. This caused it to rattle/buzz during casts. I filed
off the burrs and smoothed out the pinion gear chuck and it works like it
should.

I was quite surprised that this kind of sloppy machining could make it
past Shimano's usually good QC. Perhaps they can't make the Curado's
fast enough and this has caused them to get into a hurry, which always
lowers quality.

> Environmentalist fanatics? Damn, should I be one of them? Sound like
> it would go good with SoCal and designer water :)

Just be careful not to get hooked up with any of those PETA types. d8-]

Richard C.

Jim Pankey

Dec 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/31/98
Richard C.,

I just took an old worn-out Beastmaster III 2-speed to a local repair shop
and they didn't have repair parts for it, so he sent it to Shimano. It was
returned with a note promising a reworked Curado for just $30 and exchange
of the old Speedmaster. Haven't done it yet because I'm not too fond of the
Curado...looking instead at the Daiwa TDX 103HVA.

TTYL
--
Jim Pankey
USN (Ret.)

Richard Caldwell <rcal...@oklaosf.state.ok.us> wrote in message

> From: Bass Rogue <bass...@aol.com>
>
> > Richard,
>

> > >Hey! I heard that! My monitor is full color, thank you.
> >
> > So, what are you saying here? Are you claiming you're surfing the net
> > with an amber monitor :)
>

> Nope. It says "Vivitron", right on the front, not "Amber". d8-]
>

> > > In fact, I bought a used Curado that was the old, bright red model.
> > > I hated the color so much that I took the reel apart and spray
> > > painted the side covers black.
>
> > Now, I can see doing that; however, I'd probably take a dull black reel

> > apart and liven it up by spraying it a nice bright red :)

> I bet you can't find a can of paint that matches that Coriolis though.
>

> > > True, and the Rogue is the real expert about matching the colors of
> > > his rods, reels, and boats. I don't have a boat, so I don't have to
> > > worry about the color of the "speckles".
>
> > So, what are you saying here? Are you claiming you will camp out on

> > any color bucket you find hanging around :)

> Nope. I use white. It goes with *anything*, even worm guts. d8-]
>

> > >If someone gives me a new Coriolis for Christmas, I still have some of
> > >that black spray paint left. d8-]
>
> > Well, if you're that lucky, just remember a Coriolis doesn't come apart
> > as easily as a Curado. But then again, I suppose that depends on how
> > good you are with that ballpeen hammer of yours :)
>

> I also have a crowbar and a chisel, for the really *tough* reels. d8-]
>

> Actually, the hardest reel I ever took apart was my first Chronarch.
> They don't have any exposed screw heads, so I had to hunt around for a
> while to find all the screws that were holding it together. Usually,
> getting them apart isn't hard. It's putting them back together that's
> the tricky part. The first time I worked on my Shimano Beastmaster
> 2-speed, it took me 15 minutes to take it apart, and 2 hours to get it
> back together, and that was with another guy *helping* me. d8-[
>

> Richard C.

Bass Rogue

Jan 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/1/99

Richard,

>2 weeks ago, I *couldn't* drive to Texas. The roads were closed because
>of an ice storm. It was colder in Kansas, but the roads weren't covered
>with a coating of black ice.

So, do you ever wonder why you live there? Hey, I here you can't buy razor
blades back there during the winter months. So, talking about living and being
back there, you want a good deal on some razor blades. I can ship them to ...
I can over night them to you for the right price. Now, it's cash up front,
under the circumstances :)

>No, I don't nod off while reading. I just get bored easily.

Okay, you get bored easily and you don't nod off, so are you one of those
people who get comatose and stay that way all winter. Damn, that might be a
better way than the razor blades, but then again, maybe not :)

>> Why the fingerlings? If we going to do this genetic stuff, I say we
>> make baby bass who start off at 18 pound and then get bigger.

>> Don't worry about that sneaky stuff, I think that comes naturally to

>> males' especially ones who don't like to get caught :)

>Hell, females are even sneakier than males. d8-]

That's true, but I'm not sure it's natural to them. I think it is learned
behavior, something that's passed on from one generation to the next. I kind
of figure they do it when they go powder their noses. You know, a whole line
of them sitting there in their little stalled chit-chatting back and forth

>Sorry about the truck. Mine's ready to go, anytime, anyplace. I even
>have a 2" trailer ball on the bumper, but no trailer-light kit.

I bet you even got a gun rack behind the seats :)

Anyway, I went back to the body shop toady and got my truck. It wasn't done
yet, but like I told the gal, "I got to go fishing." So, I took the truck with
a promise I'd bring it back for them to do something. I figure I don't need to
know what the something is because I'm not bringing it back. I got the truck
home by 10:30 and I had the non-descript on Perris by 11:30. Damn, it was
beautiful out there today - shirt-sleeve weather. I can't say I got into
bassin' all that much. I tied on an 8-inch Cisco Kid - big saltwater crank
bait - and went looking for a trophy. I figured that mid-day fishing wasn't
going to work today, so might as well chase a big one. I only stayed on the
water for about three hours, but that was enough to settle me down a little
bit. I figure I can make it through tonight and tomorrow now :)

>Well, almost *any* rod works good with a Curado or Chronarch on it. d8-]

Can't say I'm overly impressed with the Curados, but that Chronarch is one
sweet reel. I really haven't used it for fishing yet, but I did tossed some
lures just for grins with it when I first got it. A little expensive, but one
sweet reel.

>Yeah, I know. My tackle box is over-stuffed too. d8-]

I'm not going to buy anymore stuff for a while, I have plenty. Well, I might
buy some more big lures to go chase trophies with :)

>No, the reason that there's so much wind in Oklahoma is that Texas and
>Kansas take turns sucking and blowing. We get caught in the middle. d8-]

Don't know about that. I spent a year in Kansas once and I don't remember that
place ever blowing :)

>I have worked on a couple of Shimanos. The noisy weights seems to be one
>of the few things that could be called a "common problem". The last one
>I worked on was a Curado. The pinion gear had burrs on the part that
>engages the spool. This caused it to rattle/buzz during casts. I filed
>off the burrs and smoothed out the pinion gear chuck and it works like it
>should.

It's the brakes on mine. If I turn them all off, the noise goes away. I also
swapped brake covers with the other Curado and ... I can't remember what the
results were. I should probably do that again. I don't know why I should do
that again because I procastinate with the best of them and probably won't do
anything about the damn reel anyway :)

>I was quite surprised that this kind of sloppy machining could make it
>past Shimano's usually good QC. Perhaps they can't make the Curado's
>fast enough and this has caused them to get into a hurry, which always
>lowers quality.

That's the way with most of the world today :)

>Just be careful not to get hooked up with any of those PETA types. d8-]

Right, right, the PETA types. I keep forgetting about them. They seem to be
on the quiet side at them moment. Maybe this is the lull before ... Well,
whatever PETA type do :)

Richard

>Richard C.

Mike

Jan 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/1/99
Hey Jim,

Why not get the Curado for $30, sell it for $90 or so and buy the Daiwa. I
love the TD-X reels they are superb.

Mike

Jim Pankey

Jan 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/1/99
Mike,

I've already made arrangements with the bait shop to get the Daiwa
TD-X...made a deal using the Curado offer, so the TD-X won't be nearly as
costly.

Thanks.

--
Jim Pankey
USN (Ret.)

Mike <bass...@cts.com> wrote in message

Richard Caldwell

Jan 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/4/99

From: Jim Pankey <wild...@pe.net>

> Richard C.,
>
> I just took an old worn-out Beastmaster III 2-speed to a local repair
> shop and they didn't have repair parts for it, so he sent it to
> Shimano. It was returned with a note promising a reworked Curado for
> just $30 and exchange of the old Speedmaster. Haven't done it yet
> because I'm not too fond of the Curado...looking instead at the Daiwa
> TDX 103HVA.

What parts does your Beastmaster need? I might be able to come up with
some, but I can't be sure. I have a bunch of old Shimano parts, but I
would just have to hunt through them to see if they matched the parts
from your Beastmaster.

I see in later posts that you are going to exchange the Beastmaster for a
Curado, then swap the Curado for a Daiwa TD-X, with some boot. I hope
you like the TD-X. They seem like nice reels, but I have heard of some
problems with the original model.

Richard C.

Richard Caldwell

Jan 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/4/99

From: Bass Rogue <bass...@aol.com>

> Richard,
>
> >2 weeks ago, I *couldn't* drive to Texas. The roads were closed
> >because of an ice storm. It was colder in Kansas, but the roads
> >weren't covered with a coating of black ice.

> So, do you ever wonder why you live there?

I live here because it's south of places like Kansas and Nebraska, where
it *really* gets cold. d8-]

> Hey, I here you can't buy razor blades back there during the winter
> months.

I wouldn't know. I buy one of those multi-packs of disposable razors
once every few years. Since I have a beard, I only shave my neck about
once a week.

> So, talking about living and being back there, you want a good deal on
> some razor blades. I can ship them to ... I can over night them to you
> for the right price. Now, it's cash up front, under the circumstances

Sorry, I don't have much use for them. Tell me if you get a great deal
on fishing tackle, though. I use that up faster. d8-]

> >No, I don't nod off while reading. I just get bored easily.

> Okay, you get bored easily and you don't nod off, so are you one of
> those people who get comatose and stay that way all winter.

No. I when I get bored, I just find something else to do. In the
winter, I work on fishing tackle.

> Damn, that might be a better way than the razor blades, but then again,
> maybe not :)

Almost *anything* would be more useful than razor blades.

> >Hell, females are even sneakier than males. d8-]
>
> That's true, but I'm not sure it's natural to them. I think it is
> learned behavior, something that's passed on from one generation to
> the next. I kind of figure they do it when they go powder their noses.
> You know, a whole line of them sitting there in their little stalled

> chit-chatting back and forth.

Naw. That's just swapping notes on how it's going. They learn it *much*
younger, from their mothers an other older females.

> >Sorry about the truck. Mine's ready to go, anytime, anyplace. I even
> >have a 2" trailer ball on the bumper, but no trailer-light kit.
>
> I bet you even got a gun rack behind the seats :)

Nope. No gun racks. I don't even have a hunting license.

> Anyway, I went back to the body shop toady and got my truck. It wasn't
> done yet, but like I told the gal, "I got to go fishing." So, I took
> the truck with a promise I'd bring it back for them to do something.
> I figure I don't need to know what the something is because I'm not
> bringing it back. I got the truck home by 10:30 and I had the
> non-descript on Perris by 11:30.

> Damn, it was beautiful out there today - shirt-sleeve weather.

There ya go again, rubbin' it in. d8-[

> I can't say I got into bassin' all that much. I tied on an 8-inch

> Cisco Kid - big saltwater crankbait - and went looking for a trophy.

That sounds more like Lake Fork than California. Won't the ugly suckers
see all those treble hooks in that gin-clear water?

> I figured that mid-day fishing wasn't going to work today, so might as
> well chase a big one. I only stayed on the water for about three
> hours, but that was enough to settle me down a little bit. I figure I
> can make it through tonight and tomorrow now :)

I'm glad to hear that you got your "fishin' fix". d8-]

> >Well, almost *any* rod works good with a Curado or Chronarch on it.

> Can't say I'm overly impressed with the Curados, but that Chronarch is

> one sweet reel. I really haven't used it for fishing yet, but I did
> tossed some lures just for grins with it when I first got it. A little
> expensive, but one sweet reel.

Yes, the Chronarch is nice, and it's smaller than the Curado. That's an
important feature, if you have smaller hands, like me.

> >Yeah, I know. My tackle box is over-stuffed too. d8-]
>
> I'm not going to buy anymore stuff for a while, I have plenty. Well,
> I might buy some more big lures to go chase trophies with :)

I'd have to buy lures that are big enough to break the ice when they hit.

> >No, the reason that there's so much wind in Oklahoma is that Texas and
> >Kansas take turns sucking and blowing. We get caught in the middle.

> Don't know about that. I spent a year in Kansas once and I don't

> remember that place ever blowing :)

Maybe it's Nebraska, then. I know all that cold air is coming from
*some* place up there. We had notherly winds with gusts up to 50 mph on
Saturday, and almost that bad on Sunday.

> >I have worked on a couple of Shimanos. The noisy weights seems to be
> >one of the few things that could be called a "common problem". The
> >last one I worked on was a Curado. The pinion gear had burrs on the
> >part that engages the spool. This caused it to rattle/buzz during
> >casts. I filed off the burrs and smoothed out the pinion gear chuck
> >and it works like it should.

> It's the brakes on mine. If I turn them all off, the noise goes away.
> I also swapped brake covers with the other Curado and ... I can't
> remember what the results were. I should probably do that again.
> I don't know why I should do that again because I procastinate with the
> best of them and probably won't do anything about the damn reel anyway

It may just be that the inside of the brake drum needs a good cleaning.
If it gets a little dirty, that can make it sticky, and the little
weights chatter instead of sliding smoothly on it.

> >I was quite surprised that this kind of sloppy machining could make it
> >past Shimano's usually good QC. Perhaps they can't make the Curado's
> >fast enough and this has caused them to get into a hurry, which always
> >lowers quality.
>
> That's the way with most of the world today :)

> >Just be careful not to get hooked up with any of those PETA types.

> Right, right, the PETA types. I keep forgetting about them. They seem
> to be on the quiet side at the moment. Maybe this is the lull before

> ... Well, whatever PETA type do :)

They usually hold up for the Winter, planning what they will do in the
Spring.

Richard C.

Bass Rogue

Jan 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/5/99

Richard,

>I live here because it's south of places like Kansas and Nebraska, where
>it *really* gets cold. d8-]

Okay, so you might get up into the low 50's tomorrow. I guess that will start
melting the ice :) But then again, 50 degrees and a 50 mile per hour wind
packs a chill factor of cool.

>Sorry, I don't have much use for them. Tell me if you get a great deal
>on fishing tackle, though. I use that up faster. d8-]

Well, I kind of got a good deal on some fishing stuff today. I went down to
one of the local sporting good stores during lunch to pick up some big crank
baits. Well, I got a couple of bags of big swim baits and a 2-3/8 oz Rapala
Sinking Magnum. Now, the Rapala was on sale for $9.99 - it's normally $9.99.
So, I didn't save too much there. However, as I was leaving they had these
neat black running shoes on sale for $19.99 - regularly $39.99. So, I was
saving enough on the shoes to pay for the fishing stuff I was getting. When I
checked, the sales girl told me the shoes were half price, which I knew.
However, it turned out the shoes were on sale for half the $19.99 or $9.99.
So, I figured I saved enough to get all the fishing stuff free and then pocket
some money for more lures later - well, something like that :)

>No. I when I get bored, I just find something else to do. In the
>winter, I work on fishing tackle.

So, do you break it first to make it more challenging? When I get bored, I go
fishing until I get bored, then I go fishing until I get bored, then I go
fishing until ... something like that.

>>Damn, it was beautiful out there today - shirt-sleeve weather.

>There ya go again, rubbin' it in. d8-[

Damn, it was even prettier out there Saturday. I can't say I did any good out
there, but it sure was nice - kind of like late Spring :)

>> I can't say I got into bassin' all that much. I tied on an 8-inch
>> Cisco Kid - big saltwater crankbait - and went looking for a trophy.

>That sounds more like Lake Fork than California. Won't the ugly suckers
>see all those treble hooks in that gin-clear water?

Well, you move the bait fast and run it deep. I use 2 to 3 oz sinking
crankbaits and count them down to 20 feet before I start cranking. I use 20
pound Fusion and cast the lures a country mile, so I would say I runt them down
to around 25 to 30 feet. I also crank them as fast as they will go while still
running true. This isn't something to do all the time; however, if the moon is
full and it's December, January or February and you're in SoCal, then it's time
to go trophy hunting. Also keep in mind, this isn't a high percentage approach
to catching any bass - it's just a way to improve your odds of catching a big
ugly sucker.

>I'm glad to hear that you got your "fishin' fix". d8-]

Well, I got out Thursday and Saturday, so I'm going much better today. It loks
like the nice weather will be around next Saturday so I'm going trophy hunting
again :)

>I'd have to buy lures that are big enough to break the ice when they hit.

I got a couple of them :) That's one of the things that's nice about having an
ocean right next door - most of the sporting goods store store big saltwater
stuff which is great for lunker ugly suckers :)

>Maybe it's Nebraska, then. I know all that cold air is coming from
>*some* place up there. We had notherly winds with gusts up to 50 mph on
>Saturday, and almost that bad on Sunday.

Well, if it's Nebraska, then it's hard to say. I think everybody has already
left Nebraska for the winter, so there is no way to tell if it's blowing or not
:) Unless there is a doppler satelite overhead that could take a peek. But
then again, why would anyone want to put a satelite over Nebraska if nobody is
living there?

>It may just be that the inside of the brake drum needs a good cleaning.
>If it gets a little dirty, that can make it sticky, and the little
>weights chatter instead of sliding smoothly on it.

Well, I used that reel this weekend and it definately chatters. And the other
reel is really quiet. I need to swap the covers again and see what happens. I
was going to do that Saturday, but I kind of got wrapped up chasing the ugly
suckers.

>They usually hold up for the Winter, planning what they will do in the
>Spring.

Hold up for winter? Or hole up for winter? Either way, it's an interesting
concept; however, nobody out here seems to know what it really means :)

Richard

Richard Caldwell

Jan 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/5/99

From: Bass Rogue <bass...@aol.com>

> Okay, so you might get up into the low 50's tomorrow.

Yeah, but it'll be cold again by the weekend. d8-[

> I guess that will start melting the ice :)

The ice is already gone. Ever hear of sublimation?

> But then again, 50 degrees and a 50 mile per hour wind
> packs a chill factor of cool.

True.

> Well, I kind of got a good deal on some fishing stuff today. I went
> down to one of the local sporting good stores during lunch to pick up
> some big crank baits. Well, I got a couple of bags of big swim baits
> and a 2-3/8 oz Rapala Sinking Magnum. Now, the Rapala was on sale for
> $9.99 - it's normally $9.99. So, I didn't save too much there.
> However, as I was leaving they had these neat black running shoes on
> sale for $19.99 - regularly $39.99. So, I was saving enough on the
> shoes to pay for the fishing stuff I was getting. When I checked, the
> sales girl told me the shoes were half price, which I knew. However,
> it turned out the shoes were on sale for half the $19.99 or $9.99.
> So, I figured I saved enough to get all the fishing stuff free and then
> pocket some money for more lures later - well, something like that :)

Gee, you sound like my wife explaining why she just *had* to buy all that
Christmas crap at the local hobby store, because it was so cheap. d8-]

> So, do you break it first to make it more challenging?

No. Other guys break it, then they bring it to me for repair. As for my
own stuff, I just clean it, oil it, and replace the line.

> When I get bored, I go fishing until I get bored, then I go fishing
> until I get bored, then I go fishing until ... something like that.

If I could go fishing, I wouldn't get bored. Tired, maybe, but not
bored.

> Damn, it was even prettier out there Saturday. I can't say I did any
> good out there, but it sure was nice - kind of like late Spring :)

I'd settle for some *early* Spring weather, myself.

> >That sounds more like Lake Fork than California. Won't the ugly
> >suckers see all those treble hooks in that gin-clear water?
>

> Well, you move the bait fast and run it deep. I use 2 to 3 oz sinking
> crankbaits and count them down to 20 feet before I start cranking. I
> use 20 pound Fusion and cast the lures a country mile, so I would say

> I run them down to around 25 to 30 feet. I also crank them as fast as

> they will go while still running true. This isn't something to do all
> the time; however, if the moon is full and it's December, January or
> February and you're in SoCal, then it's time to go trophy hunting.
> Also keep in mind, this isn't a high percentage approach to catching
> any bass - it's just a way to improve your odds of catching a big
> ugly sucker.

Sounds like fun, though, casting waaaaay out and crankin' 'em back.

> Well, I got out Thursday and Saturday, so I'm going much better today.
> It loks like the nice weather will be around next Saturday so I'm going
> trophy hunting again :)

I hope you hook a monster that rips the rod right outta yer hands. d8-]

> I got a couple of them :) That's one of the things that's nice about
> having an ocean right next door - most of the sporting goods store
> store big saltwater stuff which is great for lunker ugly suckers :)

Yeah, I have a few saltwater lures, left over from my Gulf of Mexico
days. That's why I knew that they had lots of big treble hooks.

> Well, if it's Nebraska, then it's hard to say. I think everybody has
> already left Nebraska for the winter, so there is no way to tell if
> it's blowing or not :) Unless there is a doppler satelite overhead
> that could take a peek. But then again, why would anyone want to put
> a satelite over Nebraska if nobody is living there?

Well, you know how satellites are. Their orbits take them over lots of
places that aren't as interesting (or warm) as the other places.

> Well, I used that reel this weekend and it definately chatters. And
> the other reel is really quiet. I need to swap the covers again and
> see what happens.

I agree. That should tell you something.

> I was going to do that Saturday, but I kind of got wrapped up chasing
> the ugly suckers.

That will happen to the best of us.

> Hold up for winter? Or hole up for winter?

One or the other, I'm not sure.

> Either way, it's an interesting concept; however, nobody out here seems
> to know what it really means :)

That's 'cause nobody out there knows what the word "winter" means. d8-]

Richard

Bass Rogue

Jan 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/6/99

Richard,

>If I could go fishing, I wouldn't get bored. Tired, maybe, but not bored.

That's because you don't get to go fishing often enough. Now, if you got to go
50 to 60 times a year, you could get bored :)

>Sounds like fun, though, casting waaaaay out and crankin' 'em back.

You can throw a 2 to 3 oz lure quite a distance, especially with the wind. On
the other hand, it get's tiring after a while :)

>I hope you hook a monster that rips the rod right outta yer hands. d8-]

Me too. I put together a big bait Plano box before I left for Boston. When I
get back home, I'm topping off the trolling motor batteries and heading out to
terrorize Perris.

>Yeah, I have a few saltwater lures, left over from my Gulf of Mexico
>days. That's why I knew that they had lots of big treble hooks.

I was thinking about replacing them with some that were a little lighter, but
I don't want to mess with the action of the lures. I figure you need a ten
pounder just to be able to set the hooks :)

>> Either way, it's an interesting concept; however, nobody out here seems
>> to know what it really means :)

>That's 'cause nobody out there knows what the word "winter" means. d8-]

We all kow what winter means, it means you can't go fishig because it's too
cold :)

Richard

Richard Caldwell

Jan 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/7/99

From: Bass Rogue <bass...@aol.com>

> That's because you don't get to go fishing often enough.

You got *that* right!

> Now, if you got to go 50 to 60 times a year, you could get bored :)

I'm willing to give it a try. I'll let you know when I'm bored.

> You can throw a 2 to 3 oz lure quite a distance, especially with the
> wind. On the other hand, it get's tiring after a while :)

I just switch casting hands when I get tired. But, my cranking hand does
get a little cramped, after a while.

> Me too. I put together a big bait Plano box before I left for Boston.
> When I get back home, I'm topping off the trolling motor batteries and
> heading out to terrorize Perris.

Yeah? Well I'm watching another ice storm, through my office window. I
just hope that it's all melted off by the weekend.

> I was thinking about replacing them with some that were a little
> lighter, but I don't want to mess with the action of the lures. I
> figure you need a ten pounder just to be able to set the hooks :)

Probably so. I just hope you're using heavy enough line. As I recall,
you were always using that wimpy 8# stuff, and calling 10# test *heavy*
line. d8-]

> We all kow what winter means, it means you can't go fishig because it's
> too cold :)

Yeah, but to you it's only a *theory*. Here, it's *reality*. d8-]

Richard

Bob Redding

Jan 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/7/99
For the most part, I have stayed out of this discussion:
There have been days when I have been skunked, but never a
day when I have been bored. When I can't catch black
beauties, I look for a jet skier who is not paying
attention. They, unlike silly me, seem to wait until the
weather is warmer! Guess I will have to find another
diversion. But, I will never be bored as long as I can
launch the boat.

Bass Rogue

Jan 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/8/99

Richard,

>> Now, if you got to go 50 to 60 times a year, you could get bored :)

>I'm willing to give it a try. I'll let you know when I'm bored.

I'm figuring it's probably closer to about 150 times a year to get to a point
where it is boring. I could probably fish three times a week and still not get
bored. Now, if I ever caught an ugly sucker, it could go as high as six times
a week :)

>I just switch casting hands when I get tired. But, my cranking hand does
>get a little cramped, after a while.

Hey, when you're chucking 2 to 3 oz lures a half mile, you're using both hands
:) And you're right about cranking them in, it's more like grinding them in.
I need to get a couple of those handles with the big ole chunk of walnut on
them - one of those manly man crankin' handles :)

>Yeah? Well I'm watching another ice storm, through my office window. I
>just hope that it's all melted off by the weekend.

The highest I've seen back in Boston this week has been about 33 degrees. I
did that 9 degrees stuff yesterday morning. I got as far as the car, started
it up and went back inside for 15 minutes. Going from 75 to 80 degrees to 9
degrees hurts :(

>Probably so. I just hope you're using heavy enough line. As I recall,
>you were always using that wimpy 8# stuff, and calling 10# test *heavy*
>line. d8-]

I'm still using 8 lb on most reels and 4 lb on a small spinning reel, but I
have 12 lb on two reels and 17 lb on another. And I also have 30 lb braid on a
reel. For the big lures I'm tossing, I'm using 20 lb Fusion which has a
diameter of 8 or 12 lb line. I'm not all that excited with the fused or
braided line, but for chucking big lures, it doesn't matter much :)

>Yeah, but to you it's only a *theory*. Here, it's *reality*. d8-]

Hey, I'm going winter right now. Well, I do go out in it - when I absolutely
have to :)

Richard

Richard Caldwell

Jan 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/8/99

From: Bass Rogue <bass...@aol.com>

> I'm figuring it's probably closer to about 150 times a year to get to a
> point where it is boring. I could probably fish three times a week and
> still not get bored. Now, if I ever caught an ugly sucker, it could go
> as high as six times a week :)

I heard that, brudda! d8-]

> Hey, when you're chucking 2 to 3 oz lures a half mile, you're using
> both hands :)

Yes, I almost always use 2 hands for casting, but I switch which hand is
on the reel and which hand is on the butt of the rod. That helps.

> And you're right about cranking them in, it's more like grinding them
> in. I need to get a couple of those handles with the big ole chunk of
> walnut on them - one of those manly man crankin' handles :)

They sell those big "T" handles to put on reels that don't come with
them. Shimano sells them for the smaller Calcuttas. They call them
"live bait handles", but I'm sure you could use them for cranking in
those big lures too.

> The highest I've seen back in Boston this week has been about 33
> degrees. I did that 9 degrees stuff yesterday morning. I got as far
> as the car, started it up and went back inside for 15 minutes. Going
> from 75 to 80 degrees to 9 degrees hurts :(

It took me 4 hours to get to work this morning. I left the hous at 6:20
and caught the bus at 6:40. The bus got stuck on an icy hill at 8:30 and
I struck out on foot. A couple miles later, with a stop for coffee and
another rest stop in between, I finally got to my office at 10:30. I
hope the bus runs this afternoon, so I don't have to walk the 22 miles to
my house. d8-]

> I'm still using 8 lb on most reels and 4 lb on a small spinning reel,
> but I have 12 lb on two reels and 17 lb on another. And I also have 30
> lb braid on a reel. For the big lures I'm tossing, I'm using 20 lb
> Fusion which has a diameter of 8 or 12 lb line.

Good. I'm glad you're not using that damned UL sewing thread on *all*
your reels.

> I'm not all that excited with the fused or braided line, but for
> chucking big lures, it doesn't matter much :)

I haven't found a fused or braided line that I care for much either. I
just don't like the way it "growls" through the guide on my rods.

> Hey, I'm going winter right now. Well, I do go out in it - when I
> absolutely have to :)

I wish I didn't have to this morning.

Richard

Randy Ducceschi

Jan 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/8/99

Yours truly,

RJ Ducceschi

Bass Rogue

Jan 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/9/99

Richard,

>Yes, I almost always use 2 hands for casting, but I switch which hand is
>on the reel and which hand is on the butt of the rod. That helps.

Generally speaking, I make short cast with very light-weight stuff; however,
this time of year, I get to play like the big guys and toss big stuff. Last
year, Lake Hidges was really stained because of the El Nino rains and I got to
use some big spinner baits and big worms. It was kind of fun. To be truthful
with use, using that finesse stuff gets old after a while :)

>They sell those big "T" handles to put on reels that don't come with
>them. Shimano sells them for the smaller Calcuttas. They call them
>"live bait handles", but I'm sure you could use them for cranking in
>those big lures too.

I need something for the Curados. I'm using the Calcuttas for finesse worms :)

>It took me 4 hours to get to work this morning. I left the hous at 6:20
>and caught the bus at 6:40. The bus got stuck on an icy hill at 8:30 and
>I struck out on foot. A couple miles later, with a stop for coffee and
>another rest stop in between, I finally got to my office at 10:30. I
>hope the bus runs this afternoon, so I don't have to walk the 22 miles to
>my house. d8-]

Damn, that's winter stuff all right. You sure you can walk 22 miles :)

>Good. I'm glad you're not using that damned UL sewing thread on *all*
>your reels.

Right now, I think I only have 4 lb line on one or two reels, and I don't use
them very often. The only thing I do use them for is tossing 1/8 oz poppers.
It's a lot of fun trying to get a 2 or 3 pound ugly sucker to come to the boat
with that thin stuff :)

>I haven't found a fused or braided line that I care for much either. I
>just don't like the way it "growls" through the guide on my rods.

At one time, I respool most of my reels with the stuff, but after using it a
few times, I got rid of it all. Recently, I respooled a couple of reels for
specific applications. I use 30 lb braid when I'm ripping lipless crankbait
through the weeds, and I use 20 lb fused line to toss my mega-lures for throphy
uglies :) You're right about the growling, I don't like that sound either.

>> Hey, I'm going winter right now. Well, I do go out in it - when I
>> absolutely have to :)

>I wish I didn't have to this morning.

Hey, it's 80 degrees out here in SoCal :) On the other hand, we have the Santa
Annas blowing with gusts up to 70 mph :( So, I'm sitting home today and going
to try the bassin' stuff tomorrow :)

Richard

Bob Redding

Jan 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/9/99
I almost hate to admit I have been watching this bait-caster
thread, mainly because, as usual, it got sidetracked from
the original post. But, anyhow, to make matters worse, I
couldn't resist noting that spinning reels don't growl when
you throw fusion or braided line. Must be the way it comes
off the spool and the fact the eyes are large toward the
reel and get smaller towards the tip of the rod.

Am I the only one who remembers the 'old' days when plastic
line was unheard of and everyone used 'twine'?

Bass Rogue

Jan 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/9/99

Bob,

>Am I the only one who remembers the 'old' days when plastic
>line was unheard of and everyone used 'twine'?

Is twine kind of like string? I've heard of string before :)

Richard

Bob Redding

Jan 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/9/99
Do you remember when there wasn't any plastic line?

The first reel I used as a kid (don't even think about
asking), had (what was then modern) nylon 'string'. I might
have to check my thesaurus, but I think twine and string are
essentially the same thing - one is bigger than the other. I
used the twine reference so (mistakenly I thought) it would
be clear what I was talking about.

Hitting the water at daybreak tomorrow. Wish me and the
black beauties luck.

DAllen2610

Jan 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/10/99
I remember! When I bought my first spinning reel way back in 194-something all
you could get was string. Monofilament hadn't been invented yet. I personally
preferred the string but mono is about all you can get now.
Dave Allen>

Bob Redding

Jan 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/10/99
You just dated yourself! But, so did I.

Richard Caldwell

Jan 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/11/99

From: Bass Rogue <bass...@aol.com>

> Generally speaking, I make short cast with very light-weight stuff;
> however, this time of year, I get to play like the big guys and toss
> big stuff. Last year, Lake Hidges was really stained because of the El
> Nino rains and I got to use some big spinner baits and big worms. It
> was kind of fun. To be truthful with use, using that finesse stuff
> gets old after a while :)

When I use light-weight stuff, I generally stick to a spinning rod.

> >They sell those big "T" handles to put on reels that don't come with
> >them. Shimano sells them for the smaller Calcuttas. They call them
> >"live bait handles", but I'm sure you could use them for cranking in
> >those big lures too.

> I need something for the Curados. I'm using the Calcuttas for finesse
> worms :)

Well, if the after-market handles will fit a Calcutta 200/250, they will
fit a Curado, 'cause the only difference in the stock handles for the 2
is the color.

> Damn, that's winter stuff all right. You sure you can walk 22 miles :)

I could probably do it in a day, if I got an early start and took plenty
of rest stops. 8-]

> Right now, I think I only have 4 lb line on one or two reels, and I
> don't use them very often. The only thing I do use them for is tossing
> 1/8 oz poppers. It's a lot of fun trying to get a 2 or 3 pound ugly
> sucker to come to the boat with that thin stuff :)

You have an interesting definition of "fun". I would tend to get white
knuckles using line that light. I once landed a 15# grass carp on 4#
line and it took me 25 minutes.

> At one time, I respool most of my reels with the stuff, but after using
> it a few times, I got rid of it all. Recently, I respooled a couple of
> reels for specific applications. I use 30 lb braid when I'm ripping
> lipless crankbait through the weeds, and I use 20 lb fused line to toss
> my mega-lures for throphy uglies :) You're right about the growling, I
> don't like that sound either.

It's not so bad for worm/jig fishing, where you use the rod to move the
bait and then take out slack with the reel, but it really gets on my
nerves when I try it with spinner-baits or crank-baits.

> Hey, it's 80 degrees out here in SoCal :)

Shut the Hell up! d8-[

> On the other hand, we have the Santa Annas blowing with gusts up to 70
> mph :( So, I'm sitting home today and going to try the bassin' stuff
> tomorrow :)

Yes, that does sound a little breezy for boating.

Richard C.

Richard Caldwell

Jan 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/11/99

From: Bob Redding <bobre...@sprintmail.com>

> I almost hate to admit I have been watching this bait-caster
> thread, mainly because, as usual, it got sidetracked from
> the original post. But, anyhow, to make matters worse, I
> couldn't resist noting that spinning reels don't growl when
> you throw fusion or braided line. Must be the way it comes
> off the spool and the fact the eyes are large toward the
> reel and get smaller towards the tip of the rod.

They don't growl on the cast, but they growl just as bad on the retrieve.

> Am I the only one who remembers the 'old' days when plastic
> line was unheard of and everyone used 'twine'?

Nope. The first reels I ever used were the old direct-drive baitcasters
(the kind where the handle spins when you cast) that had black, braided
nylon line on them. I also had one with that multi-color braided stuff,
where it fades from one color to another every foot or so.

I never saw monofilament line (other than leader) until my uncle loaned
me his Zebco 33 to try out. I fell in love with the ease of casting that
reel, and he wound up giving it to me. It was one of the original 33's,
with the black painted body and no anti-reverse. I wish I still had that
reel.

Anyhoo, I remember thinking how odd it was when they started using
monofilament on baitcasters, back when Ambassadeur 5000's were about all
you ever saw anyone using.

I didn't get my first introduction to open-faced spinning reels until I
was about 16, which was 35 years ago. Of course, by then I was used to
seeing monofilament on *everything*.

Richard C.

Bill McKee

Jan 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/11/99

Richard Caldwell wrote:

It was cold here last night, was 30 and foggy at 11 PM. I will know COLD
soon, going to Rochester, MN the 18th. I like the superlines for tossing
hairRaisers for stripers in the SF Delta. Can feel them hit the worm tail
short and I can change speed. All my jig and worm rods for U.S.'rs are mono,
reasonable price, and work fine. Never could get the hang of Zebco's 33,
always pushed the button at the wrong time. But one of the most fun fishing
days was with a 33 and 6# line and saltwater fishing for N. Cal rockfish out
of Bodega Bay. jigging 3-5# rockfish in 30' of water.
Bill

Bob Redding

Jan 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/11/99
Braided and fusion line I use don't growl on the retrieve
either with the spinning reels I use, Mitchell 300's. Now I
am really curious about why they growl on bait-casters.

Going to one of those BASS seminars and will try to ask the
question when I get there.

Mike

Jan 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/11/99
It would be nice when people in this group respond to a post and the subject
changes that they change the Subject line also. Cant figure out what this
has to do with Calcutta 200/250 differences can you?

Rhc1536

Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99
This is just a test.

I am responding to myself from my home
AOL account, just to see what it looks like.

Richard C.

Bass Rogue

Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99

Bill,

> It was cold here last night, was 30 and foggy at 11 PM. I will know COLD
>soon, going to Rochester, MN the 18th.

MN in January? That isn't cold, that's stupid :)

Richard

Bass Rogue

Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99

Richard,

>When I use light-weight stuff, I generally stick to a spinning rod.

So, what are you saying here? Are you saying you have a sissy stick? And ypu
use it?

>Well, if the after-market handles will fit a Calcutta 200/250, they will
>fit a Curado, 'cause the only difference in the stock handles for the 2
>is the color.

Well, I need to get something. I went over to Perris for a few hours yesterday
morning and that new 2-3/8 oz Rapala got a little heavy after a while. I think
it was absorbing water and swelling up or something like that. After an hour
or so, I think it weighed pretty close to six or seven pounds. Damn, I needed
two hands just to turn the cranking handle on the reel. And I needed two hands
just to hold the rod still so I could turn the cranking handle. And I was
about two hands too short, but I'm pretty good with my toes in a pinch :)
Whatever, I need some more mechanical advantage.

>I could probably do it in a day, if I got an early start and took plenty
>of rest stops. 8-]

And if the walking was all down hill. But then again, Oklahoma doesn't have
hills. But but then then again again, that might not be the same thing as
going down hill :)

>You have an interesting definition of "fun". I would tend to get white
>knuckles using line that light. I once landed a 15# grass carp on 4#
>line and it took me 25 minutes.

The thing to do would be to hook a 24 pound ugly sucker on 4 lb line and try to
coax that sucker out of the weeds and stick-ups. You'd get more than white
knuckles doing that :) The guy who sold me my boat pulled a 12 pounder out of
Castaic on 4 lb line. But up there, you don't worry about getting wrapped
around anything.

>It's not so bad for worm/jig fishing, where you use the rod to move the
>bait and then take out slack with the reel, but it really gets on my
>nerves when I try it with spinner-baits or crank-baits.

Couldn't agree with you more. That's probably one of the reasons why that
Rapala got up to nine or ten pounds over an hour's time :)

>> Hey, it's 80 degrees out here in SoCal :)

>Shut the Hell up! d8-[

So, how's the weather back there? Damn, we're back into winter out here - only
got up to 74 today. Cold weather like that isn't good for my tan :)

>Yes, that does sound a little breezy for boating.

Sunday was much better. It was windy, but I'd guess in the 20 - 25 mile per
hour range. It was a warm wind, so it wasn't really a problem. So, has Texas
or Kansas been blowing any hot air your way lately :)

Richard

Bass Rogue

Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99

Bob,

>Braided and fusion line I use don't growl on the retrieve
>either with the spinning reels I use, Mitchell 300's. Now I
>am really curious about why they growl on bait-casters.

They growl on spinning tackle too.

Richard

Bass Rogue

Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99

Mike,

>It would be nice when people in this group respond to a post and the subject
>changes that they change the Subject line also. Cant figure out what this
>has to do with Calcutta 200/250 differences can you?

Well, if the Calcutta 200 and 250 both have the same size handles and the
handles are interchangeable with the Curados then I can maybe have a color
choice when it comes to getting a new handle with a walnut knob. Then when I
use fused line for 2-3/8 oz Rapalas, I won't get finger cramps. Well,
something like that.

Richard

Bass Rogue

Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99

Richard,

>This is just a test.

Don't sell yourself short. The fact that you used two different accounts in
one day means it's more than just a test. Unless of course you cheated and
used the same password on both accounts :)

>I am responding to myself from my home
>AOL account, just to see what it looks like.

So, are you going to tell us?

Richard

Richard Caldwell

Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99

From: Bob Redding <bobre...@sprintmail.com>

> Braided and fusion line I use don't growl on the retrieve
> either with the spinning reels I use, Mitchell 300's. Now I
> am really curious about why they growl on bait-casters.

The "growling" I'm talking about is caused by the line rubbing on the
guides of the rod, and is not a function of the reel. I imagine that
there is also a little of this when the line rubs on the level-wind
guide, but I doubt that it makes a *lot* of difference.

My main gripe about using braided lines on spinning reels is the problems
with wind loops. I think this is because the line is so limp. I don't
have that problem with the fused lines. By the way, between the 2 fused
lines that I have tried, I like Berkley Fireline better than Fusion.

> Going to one of those BASS seminars and will try to ask the
> question when I get there.

Have fun. I'm looking forward to the OKC Tackle Show, next month.

Richard C.

Richard Caldwell

Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99

From: Bass Rogue <bass...@aol.com>

> So, what are you saying here? Are you saying you have a sissy stick?

> And you use it?

Worse than that. I have *5* spinning combos hanging in my rod rack. The
line on them ranges from 15# & 12# on my 2 catfish rods, down to 4# on my
7' UL trout rod. One of them is even reserved for bass fishing. One of
my rules is, "Always take along at least 1 spinning rod." It's just that
I only use the sissy line for sissy fish, like rainbow trout, crappie,
and bluegill.

> Well, I need to get something. I went over to Perris for a few hours
> yesterday morning and that new 2-3/8 oz Rapala got a little heavy after
> a while. I think it was absorbing water and swelling up or something
> like that. After an hour or so, I think it weighed pretty close to six
> or seven pounds.

I had a Rat-L-Trap do that once. It turned out that I had cracked it on
a rock and it was filling up with water. d8-]

> Damn, I needed two hands just to turn the cranking handle on the reel.
> And I needed two hands just to hold the rod still so I could turn the
> cranking handle. And I was about two hands too short, but I'm pretty
> good with my toes in a pinch :)

> Whatever, I need some more mechanical advantage.

Sounds like you need one of those electric reels like they use for
deep-sea fishing in saltwater. d8-]

> And if the walking was all down hill. But then again, Oklahoma doesn't
> have hills. But but then then again again, that might not be the same
> thing as going down hill :)

Naw, it's all like walking on top of a table, but with houses and trees
and such scattered on the table. Just think of a model railroad setup on
a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood and you'll have it, except for the wind. d8-]

> The thing to do would be to hook a 24 pound ugly sucker on 4 lb line
> and try to coax that sucker out of the weeds and stick-ups. You'd get
> more than white knuckles doing that :)

I'd just get broke off and never even get a peek at the ugly sucker. I'd
be lucky to land one that big on 17# line, especially in heavy cover.

> The guy who sold me my boat pulled a 12 pounder out of Castaic on 4 lb
> line. But up there, you don't worry about getting wrapped around
> anything.

Yeah, in open water you can just set the drag light and let 'em run,
providing the reel holds enough line. That's what I did with that grass
carp.

> Couldn't agree with you more. That's probably one of the reasons why
> that Rapala got up to nine or ten pounds over an hour's time :)

That crank-bait sure did put on a lotta weight in such a short time. d8-]

> So, how's the weather back there?

Today's not too bad. The high is supposed to be in the 60's. There's
another cold front arriving tonight, but it's supposed to warm up again
by the weekend. I may even get to go fishing this Sunday.

> Damn, we're back into winter out here - only got up to 74 today.

Shorts and T-shirt weather. d8-]

> Cold weather like that isn't good for my tan :)

It would be fine for mine.

> Sunday was much better. It was windy, but I'd guess in the 20 - 25
> mile per hour range. It was a warm wind, so it wasn't really a
> problem. So, has Texas or Kansas been blowing any hot air your way
> lately :)

They keep taking turns. I just looked out my window at the flag on top
of the State Capitol Bldg. and it's pointed toward Kansas and standing
straight out from the flag pole, so I guess that Kansas is sucking pretty
hard today. But, after that front goes through tonight, Kansas will be
blowing and Texas will be sucking. It's sorta like the 2 are having a
pneumatic tug-of-war. d8-]

Richard C.

Richard Caldwell

Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99

From: Bass Rogue <bass...@aol.com>

> >This is just a test.

> Don't sell yourself short. The fact that you used two different
> accounts in one day means it's more than just a test.

It must mean that I'm a real INTERNET maven, huh? d8-]

> Unless of course you cheated and used the same password on both
> accounts :)

Nope. One account was my AOL account at home, that I rarely use. The
other is my workstation at work, which is directly connected to the
INTERNET, with my own IP address and everything.

Since I'm retiring from this job at the end of this month, I decided that
I'd better make sure that I could still get to r.o.f.b. and the other
newsgroups that I subscribe to from my home PC. It looks like I can, and
the E-mail works also, but I'm not too happy with the AOL 4.0 newsreader.

> >I am responding to myself from my home
> >AOL account, just to see what it looks like.

> So, are you going to tell us?

Well, it gets here, but it doesn't automatically include the text of the
post I'm replying to. Maybe I can find a setting that will do that.
I'll have to play around with the AOL software for awhile to figure out
how to get it to do what I want it to do.

Anyhoo, you'd better get used to seeing me show up in the FROM column as
Rhc1536, since that's my AOL screen name. Maybe I can figure out a way
to get it to plug my name in there, but I'm not sure.

Richard C.

Bill McKee

Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99

Bass Rogue wrote:

Postponed until the 25th. Will it be warmer then? closer to summer. Being a
Calif. born and raised, only time I saw naturally formed ice over 6" thick was
from 40 thousand feet over Greenland.
Wow, my post asking about the Cacutta 200 /250 - differences? has sure had a
long and varied life.
As to the growling of the superlines, I think it depends on the guide
construction material. My Uglystick growls, while when I used the braid on my
Fenwick it didn't.
Bill

Bob Redding

Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99
I agree. But, how do you respond to a post and at the same
time move it up higher in the newsgroup tree? The person who
first responded with a divergent post is the culprit.

Have you noticed, like a red-neck's family tree (to borrow
one of Foxworth's punch lines), this thread no longer has
branches!

Bob Redding

Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99
No it doesn't work!

Bob Redding

Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99
This is in response to a news thread that has lost its
branches. I am responding to a response from Bass Rogue. Now
does the move work?

Richard wrote:

>Bob,

>Braided and fusion line I use don't growl on the retrieve
>either with the spinning reels I use, Mitchell 300's. Now I
>am really curious about why they growl on bait-casters.

>They growl on spinning tackle too.

>Richard

Bob Redding

Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99
Maybe I am confused. I use SpiderWire's premium line (costs
$22+ at the local Walmart). Is this fusion or braided? When
I look at it, I can see braids similar to what you find in
nylon cord. But the braids appear to be fused as you can not
unravel them as with common cord.

Richard Caldwell

Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99

From: Bob Redding <bobre...@sprintmail.com>

> Maybe I am confused. I use SpiderWire's premium line (costs
> $22+ at the local Walmart). Is this fusion or braided?

Braided. Their fused line is called "Fusion", and is a lot cheaper.

> When> I look at it, I can see braids similar to what you find in
> nylon cord. But the braids appear to be fused as you can not
> unravel them as with common cord.

It is still the braided stuff. The fused stuff is not braided. If you
look at it closely, the filaments appear to be twisted together, but not
braided.

AFAIK, Fusion only comes in one color, which is a light green. The
regular braided stuff comes in white and a darker green.

Also, the high-dollar braided stuff is *much* limper than the Fusion.
Fusion and Fireline are both stiffer than monofilament, IMHO, but they
are still thinner than the equivalent test mono.

Richard C.

mike alwine

Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99
richard try to use the nestscape messenger to look through your n.g
thats how i do it now w/o help from @home maybe AOL is similar?

Richard Caldwell

Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99

From: mike alwine <lm...@home.com>

> richard try to use the nestscape messenger to look through your n.g
> thats how i do it now w/o help from @home maybe AOL is similar?

The problem is that AOL provides me the INTERNET access and it is their
news server. So, I don't know if I can use a different newsreader or
not. If so, I need to find out how to fire it up and point it to the AOL
news server while AOL is open.

Richard

Bill McKee

Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99

Richard Caldwell wrote:

> From: Bob Redding <bobre...@sprintmail.com>
>
> <snipped>

> Also, the high-dollar braided stuff is *much* limper than the Fusion.
> Fusion and Fireline are both stiffer than monofilament, IMHO, but they
> are still thinner than the equivalent test mono.
>
> Richard C.

The fireline gets limp after a couple of times being used. Mush limper than
my mono rigs. I've used both the Spider Wire and the Fireline. Do not
think the Spider is worth that much more than the fusion in the 20# and less
line I use. I love the Fireline for 2 types of fishing. 1. deep jigging,
can feel the bottom and the fish hit the jig. 2. casting wormtail jigs i.e.
Hair Raisers. Can feel the fish hit the lure and if not hooking can adjust
the speed until they are hooked. First time I noticed this, I was fishing
for stripers over a 50' hole (old break in the levee) and thought I was
hitting weed tops until I looked at the depth finder and saw 50'. Changed
the speed and on 6 casts hooked 4 legal stripers. All around me were bait
fisherman, catching 14-16" fish (18" legal size). Sold me on the super
lines that day. For pig and jig (jig and pig?) and crank baits /
spinnerbaits I use mono. Worm rigs are mono. Sissy stick is 6# mono. an
aside on the sissy stick. Hooked and played a 40# salmon for 2 hours and 10
minutes until the line chafed through on the gill rakers of the salmon. Had
fish to boat 3 times and partner said it's not ready to net. Was fishing
rattletrap for bass when the river salmon hit. So you could land some big
bass with the small stuff.Bill

Tommy W. Jinks

Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99
Richard,

I'm fairly certain that you can get Netscape
to work with the AOL software. I seem to
remember them making a big deal about providing
"real" internet access awhile back.

Besides... they just bought Netscape so it
has to work... right? :)

Anyway, muck around with it a bit and see
if you can't get it to work

Thanks,
Tommy

--
##############################
Tommy W. Jinks |

Bass Rogue

Jan 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/13/99

Bob,

>This is in response to a news thread that has lost its
>branches. I am responding to a response from Bass Rogue. Now
>does the move work?

I think you are putting too much into one person's complain that a certain
thread got a little waylaid. Who knows, in a week or two it might get back on
track again :)

Richard

Bass Rogue

Jan 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/13/99

Richard,

>It must mean that I'm a real INTERNET maven, huh? d8-]

Well, I suppose we can give you credit for the real part - well, partial credit
might be more correct :)

>Nope. One account was my AOL account at home, that I rarely use. The
>other is my workstation at work, which is directly connected to the
>INTERNET, with my own IP address and everything.

You might find that AOL isn't like the real Internet, but it gets the job done.

>Since I'm retiring from this job at the end of this month, I decided that
>I'd better make sure that I could still get to r.o.f.b. and the other
>newsgroups that I subscribe to from my home PC.

So, you moving to someplace where you can fish every day of the year?

>Well, it gets here, but it doesn't automatically include the text of the
>post I'm replying to.

With the off-line mail reader, you have to highlight the text you want to use
and then click on one of the reply buttons. It kind of works backwards, but
it works :)

>Anyhoo, you'd better get used to seeing me show up in the FROM column as
>Rhc1536, since that's my AOL screen name. Maybe I can figure out a way
>to get it to plug my name in there, but I'm not sure.

You can always use the keys and do it yourself. I have the instructions around
here someplace :)

Richard

Bass Rogue

Jan 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/13/99

Bill,

>Postponed until the 25th. Will it be warmer then? Closer to summer.

Say what? MN and warmer? There is no warmer in MN - just cold, colder,
coldest and freeze your ass off :) Changing the date isn't going to move MN
any closer to CA or one of the normal state. Plus, MN only has three seasons -
almost winter, winter, and almost winter again :)

Richard

Bass Rogue

Jan 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/13/99

Richard,

>Worse than that. I have *5* spinning combos hanging in my rod rack.

Well, hanging them seems appropriate :)

>It's just that I only use the sissy line for sissy fish, like rainbow trout,
>crappie, and bluegill.

I caught a bluegill by mistake once - not my mistake, the blue gill's. That
stupid fish thought it was an ugly sucker and nailed a six-inch plastic worm.
Damn worm was twice as long as the fish. It took me a while, but I boated that
fish after a while - it took me about five casts before I realized it wasn't
one of my new swim baits :)

>Sounds like you need one of those electric reels like they use for
>deep-sea fishing in saltwater. d8-]

Really? I got me a saltwater fishing catalog in the mail yesterday. I think
I'll check it out. Maybe they even have a gas model with a five speed on it :)

>Naw, it's all like walking on top of a table, but with houses and trees
>and such scattered on the table. Just think of a model railroad setup on
>a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood and you'll have it, except for the wind. d8-]

Hey, I've been there before. I spent a week there a couple of winters ago. I
might even have the opportunity to get out of a trip back there next month :)

>Yeah, in open water you can just set the drag light and let 'em run,
>providing the reel holds enough line. That's what I did with that grass
>carp.

Well, I think he chased the ugly sucker around the lake with the trolling
motor.

>That crank-bait sure did put on a lotta weight in such a short time. d8-]

I think it was weighing close to 12 pounds by the time I called it quits :)

>Shorts and T-shirt weather. d8-]

Haven't done the shorts yet, but came close :)

>But, after that front goes through tonight, Kansas will be
>blowing and Texas will be sucking. It's sorta like the 2 are having a
>pneumatic tug-of-war. d8-]

Well, at least they are in sync. I suppose it could be pretty nasty if they
were both sucking at the same time :) I suppose the same would be true if they
were both blowing at the same time too. Damn, I bet that's where tornados come
from - well, something like that :)

Richard

Bass Rogue

Jan 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/13/99

Bob,

>I agree. But, how do you respond to a post and at the same
>time move it up higher in the newsgroup tree? The person who
>first responded with a divergent post is the culprit.

So, you talking about Richard C? Culprit sounds pretty damn close :)

Richard

Bass Rogue

Jan 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/13/99

Richard,

>So, I don't know if I can use a different newsreader or
>not. If so, I need to find out how to fire it up and point it to the AOL
>news server while AOL is open.

AOL doesn't use a Usenet type server so you are stuck with their newsgroup
reader. You can use Netscape or IE to visit the Web.

Richard

Bass Rogue

Jan 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/13/99

Tommy,

>I'm fairly certain that you can get Netscape
>to work with the AOL software. I seem to
>remember them making a big deal about providing
>"real" internet access awhile back.

Both Netscape and Internet Explorer can be used on AOL for the Web; however,
neither can be used for the newsgroups. AOL uses the wrong kind of server, so
you have to use their reader when you do the newsgroups. It works, but it
doesn't work as nice as the real things. The same is true for AOL e-mail, you
have to use their reader.

Richard

Bill McKee

Jan 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/13/99

Bass Rogue wrote:

Changed to both the 18th and the 25th. Heard it was going to be warm this
weekend, 30 degrees. Don't know if that's plus or minus. I heard they had 2
seasons, Winter and Bug. Statebird is the Mosquito. But you have to admit, it
makes Oklahoma and it's Eastern Suburbs look tropical. LMAO
Bill

Bill McKee

Jan 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/13/99

Bass Rogue wrote:

I caught a bluegill couple of years ago on a crawdad crankbait. Caught about 150
bass and 1 bluegill on that crankbait that day, and they were all the same 5"
size.Was in Wal-mart last night getting an anniversery card (Rogue, if you treated
those SBGs better, you might still have one . . . ) and I drift by the sporting
goods. Guy is looking at 7' heavy spinning rods, like saltwater, 20-40# class,
says he does well at Berryessa on Castaic trout lures, but most rods can not thow
it. Imagine that bluegill hopping on the Castaic . . .
Bill the 3-dot journalist.

Doug

Jan 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/13/99

>I caught a bluegill couple of years ago on a crawdad crankbait. Caught
about 150
>bass and 1 bluegill on that crankbait that day, and they were all the same
5"
>size.Was in Wal-mart last night getting an anniversery card (Rogue, if you
treated
>those SBGs better, you might still have one . . . ) and I drift by the
sporting
>goods. Guy is looking at 7' heavy spinning rods, like saltwater, 20-40#
class,
>says he does well at Berryessa on Castaic trout lures, but most rods can
not thow
>it. Imagine that bluegill hopping on the Castaic . . .
>Bill the 3-dot journalist.

Just this last summer I was working a 6" lizzard when one of those little
blue gills thought he would have lunch. Imagine his surpise when he was
hualed out of the water.

Charles Peil

Jan 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/13/99
Bill McKee wrote:

> Bass Rogue wrote:
>
> > Bill,
> >
> > >Postponed until the 25th. Will it be warmer then? Closer to summer.
> >
> > Say what? MN and warmer? There is no warmer in MN - just cold, colder,
> > coldest and freeze your ass off :) Changing the date isn't going to move MN
> > any closer to CA or one of the normal state. Plus, MN only has three seasons -
> > almost winter, winter, and almost winter again :)
> >
> > Richard

This is just not true! We have two seasons. Winter and
Road construction! ;-)

> Changed to both the 18th and the 25th. Heard it was going to be warm this
> weekend, 30 degrees. Don't know if that's plus or minus. I heard they had 2
> seasons, Winter and Bug. Statebird is the Mosquito. But you have to admit, it
> makes Oklahoma and it's Eastern Suburbs look tropical. LMAO
> Bill

It is supposed to warm up here in southern Minnesota this
weekend. All the way into the upper 20's and low 30's! In
Minnesota in January, this is considered almost tropical!
On the plus side, we don't need boats to fish. Just drive
the truck out on the lake and drill a hole. There's a good
solid 14 to 16 inches of ice on the lakes in my area.
Walking on water is a way of live for Minnesota fishermen in
the colder of our two seasons.

To paraphrase a song I heard once...

The snow was piled up around the door.
It wouldn't be so bad,
But I live on the second floor!
But I like it here!

--
Charlie Peil

"Never use absolutes"

Bob Redding

Jan 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/13/99
OK, see if this works. A thread without 'roots' is hard to
read!

Bass Rogue

Jan 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/14/99

Bill,

>Changed to both the 18th and the 25th. Heard it was going to be warm this
>weekend, 30 degrees. Don't know if that's plus or minus. I heard they had 2
>seasons, Winter and Bug. Statebird is the Mosquito. But you have to admit,
>it makes Oklahoma and it's Eastern Suburbs look tropical. LMAO

I've flown Northwest Airlines a few times and they always go through Minnesota.
I used to smoke and I'd go outside to have a cigarette between flights. Damn
cigarette lighters wouldn't light it was so cold back there. The butane would
squirt out and freeze solid. You'd have to get a light from somebody else's
cigarette if you really wanted to smoke. When you exhaled the smoke, it would
freeze and fall slowly to the ground. I used to pick it up and put it in a
plastic bag and take it with me ont he airplane. Then I could have fresh
second-hand smoke anytime I wanted to stick my head in the plastic bag ...

Bass Rogue

Jan 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/14/99

Charles,

>This is just not true! We have two seasons. Winter and
>Road construction!

So, what day was Road Construction?

Richard

Bass Rogue

Jan 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/14/99

Bill,

>I caught a bluegill couple of years ago on a crawdad crankbait. Caught about
>150 bass and 1 bluegill on that crankbait that day, and they were all the same
5"
>size.Was in Wal-mart last night getting an anniversery card (Rogue, if you
>treated those SBGs better, you might still have one . . . ) and I drift by the
>sporting goods. Guy is looking at 7' heavy spinning rods, like saltwater,
20-40#
>class, says he does well at Berryessa on Castaic trout lures, but most rods
can
>not thow it. Imagine that bluegill hopping on the Castaic .

So, what are you saying here? You think I need an anniversary card :)

You need some heavy stuff to toss something like that Castaic trout. That
thing weights something like 5-1/2 oz. That's a lot of lure stuff.

I can't see a bluegill mugging that Castaic trout, but I can see a 4 or 5 inch
smallie trying it out :)

Talking about that bluegill I caught, it took me six months to catch it. Down
at Lake Skinner there is this one point that needs to be fished everytime you
go down there. Well, there is this big ole submerged boulder off to the side
of the point. Now, everytime I would go down there, I'd toss a big worm over
the boulder and this big ugly sucker would nail it and I'd set the hook and
missed. Then I would get one more chance by pulling the worm up over the
boulder. Once, the worm was within sight, forget it, that big ole ugly sucker
would go back into his hole and I'd have to wait until my next trip. Well,
this went on for about six months, and then one day I nailed that ugly sucker
on the first cast - however, it turned out to be a case of live bait :)

Richard

Tommy W. Jinks

Jan 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/14/99
Cool,

I don't use AOL myself but I had heard that it
was possible.

BTW It's nice to see you folks again. I've been
back "in country" and posting for about three
weeks now but my ISP hasn't been getting them
out. On advice from RodMaker I stood on some
guys desk over there and they seem to have
gotten me talking again.

Thanks,
Tommy

Richard Caldwell

Jan 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/14/99

From: Bass Rogue <bass...@aol.com>

> Well, I suppose we can give you credit for the real part - well,
> partial credit might be more correct :)

Thanks. I can use all the credit I can get, especially after I'm
retired. d8-]

> You might find that AOL isn't like the real Internet, but it gets the
> job done.

Yes, that's my assessment also. I hope I get another *real* INTERNET
connection at my next job.

> So, you moving to someplace where you can fish every day of the year?

Not for now, but I'd like to, eventually.

> With the off-line mail reader, you have to highlight the text you want
> to use and then click on one of the reply buttons. It kind of works
> backwards, but it works :)

Yes, I read the help for the news editor last night. It tells me to cut
& paste the text that I want to quote from the previous article. How
primitive!

> You can always use the keys and do it yourself. I have the
> instructions around here someplace :)

That's another thing I'm gonna have to figure out how to do.

Richard C.

Richard Caldwell

Jan 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/14/99

From: Bass Rogue <bass...@aol.com>

> Say what? MN and warmer? There is no warmer in MN - just cold,
> colder, coldest and freeze your ass off :) Changing the date isn't
> going to move MN any closer to CA or one of the normal state. Plus,
> MN only has three seasons - almost winter, winter, and almost winter
> again :)

No, you got the 3 seasons wrong. They are: last winter, this winter, and
next winter. d8-]

Richard C.

Richard Caldwell

Jan 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/14/99

From: Bill McKee <bmckee...@remove.ti.com>

> Changed to both the 18th and the 25th. Heard it was going to be warm
> this weekend, 30 degrees. Don't know if that's plus or minus. I heard
> they had 2 seasons, Winter and Bug. Statebird is the Mosquito. But
> you have to admit, it makes Oklahoma and it's Eastern Suburbs look
> tropical. LMAO

I guess that was "tropical ice" that we had all over everything last
Friday then, huh? d8-]

Seriously, that's one of the problems with living in the temperate zone
of the great plains. States like Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, and even S.
Dakota commonly hit temps over 100 in the Summer and still get pretty
damned cold in the winter. Of course, Oklahoma rarely gets below 0, if
you don't count the wind chill, like Nebraska and points north do.

Frankly, if I move, I'm moving south, or to one of the coasts. I like
saltwater fishing anyway. The Texas Gulf coast is looking mighty good
right now. d8-]

Richard C.

Richard Caldwell

Jan 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/14/99

From: "Tommy W. Jinks" <tji...@wwa.com>

> Richard,

> I'm fairly certain that you can get Netscape
> to work with the AOL software. I seem to
> remember them making a big deal about providing
> "real" internet access awhile back.

Yes, I can use Netscape to browse the web, if I want to. But, I can't
use their newsreader because AOL's news server isn't a regular NNTP
server. I'm stuck with AOL's newsreader, at least for now.

> Besides... they just bought Netscape so it
> has to work... right? :)

You would think so, wouldn't you. The funny thing is that, when I
instlled the AOL v4.0 software, it upgraded my Microsoft Internet
Explorer to a higher version, and that is what it uses as its default web
browser, instead of Netscape. It will probably have Netscape bundled
with the next version though.

> Anyway, muck around with it a bit and see
> if you can't get it to work

Muck is the word for it. d8-]

Richard C.

Bill McKee

Jan 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/14/99

Bass Rogue wrote:

> Bill,
>
> >I caught a bluegill couple of years ago on a crawdad crankbait. Caught about
> >150 bass and 1 bluegill on that crankbait that day, and they were all the same
> 5"
> >size.Was in Wal-mart last night getting an anniversery card (Rogue, if you
> >treated those SBGs better, you might still have one . . . ) and I drift by the
> >sporting goods. Guy is looking at 7' heavy spinning rods, like saltwater,
> 20-40#
> >class, says he does well at Berryessa on Castaic trout lures, but most rods
> can
> >not thow it. Imagine that bluegill hopping on the Castaic .
>
> So, what are you saying here? You think I need an anniversary card :)

Just need to treat 'em better. A guys ideal day is get up to a big greasy
breakfast bacon, ham and sausage with fried potatoes with peppers and onions and a
couple of eggs overeasy (maybe sunnyside up) smashed on top of those eggs, with
maybe a biscuit and gravy on the side, and then surf the TV channels while working
on his fishing gear. A women's version is breakfast in bed: poached eggs, maybe a
light hollandaise sauce with a fruit compote on the side followed with a morning of
cuddling. You got to meet them at least 1/5 the way, fix their type breakfast and
serve at the table, then let them have the remote for at least 30 minutes in the
day. As to the cuddling, a little of that following the mans version. ;-)

> You need some heavy stuff to toss something like that Castaic trout. That
> thing weights something like 5-1/2 oz. That's a lot of lure stuff.

Isn't that about as heavy as what ever you were throwing the other posting?

> I can't see a bluegill mugging that Castaic trout, but I can see a 4 or 5 inch
> smallie trying it out :)

Maybe the bluegill would be trying to rape it?

> Talking about that bluegill I caught, it took me six months to catch it. Down
> at Lake Skinner there is this one point that needs to be fished everytime you
> go down there. Well, there is this big ole submerged boulder off to the side
> of the point. Now, everytime I would go down there, I'd toss a big worm over
> the boulder and this big ugly sucker would nail it and I'd set the hook and
> missed. Then I would get one more chance by pulling the worm up over the
> boulder. Once, the worm was within sight, forget it, that big ole ugly sucker
> would go back into his hole and I'd have to wait until my next trip. Well,
> this went on for about six months, and then one day I nailed that ugly sucker
> on the first cast - however, it turned out to be a case of live bait :)
>
> Richard

Bill

Bob Redding

Jan 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/14/99
I have heard several people complain (oddly in a discussion
about Calcutta 200/250) about the limitations of AOL. (Boy,
am I about to p... some big boys off).

The first internet provider I used at home was AOL. I had
grown accustomed at work to setting Netscape so it didn't
open its home page when I choose to access the Internet (via
a T-1 line running 1.4 megabits). I knew where I wanted to
go and didn't need to see its offerings.

I particularly hated the fact AOL always wanted to send the
latest and best plugins, updates, etc. and I had no choice
but go watch the news or a game show while it decided what I
needed on my 'personal' computer.

If you still need the menus, stay with AOL. If you know
where you want to go, go with a non-frills provider that
uses standard Internet protocols (for news group and
e-mail). I did, and so far it is not apparent I am missing
anything except the annoyance.

Bass Rogue

Jan 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/15/99

Richard,

>Thanks. I can use all the credit I can get, especially after I'm
>retired. d8-]

Get it while you can, because once you retire, it's a cash and carry world.

>Yes, that's my assessment also. I hope I get another *real* INTERNET
>connection at my next job.

My problem is I live out in the middle of nowhere - well, pretty damn close to
it - and everything except AOL is a long distance connect for me.

>> So, you moving to someplace where you can fish every day of the year?

>Not for now, but I'd like to, eventually.

Then you aren't retiring - you're just getting up for another lame reason.
Retiring and fishing everyday is the same thing - anything else is just talking
:)

>Yes, I read the help for the news editor last night. It tells me to cut
>& paste the text that I want to quote from the previous article. How
>primitive!

You need to use the off-line mail reader - Automatic AOL. It let's you
highlight and it will do the pasting for you. It will even put the > thingies
in for you :)

Richard

Bass Rogue

Jan 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/15/99

Richard

>No, you got the 3 seasons wrong. They are: last winter, this winter, and
>next winter. d8-]

Well, I knew winter was in there someplace - I mean, I knew winter was in
everyplace :)

Richard

Bass Rogue

Jan 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/15/99

Tommy,

>BTW It's nice to see you folks again. I've been
>back "in country" and posting for about three
>weeks now but my ISP hasn't been getting them
>out. On advice from RodMaker I stood on some
>guys desk over there and they seem to have
>gotten me talking again.

Welcome back. So, you going to go speak to some of out spammers? It seems
they have found a lot of energy over the last week or so. I figure they think
we have paid off all our Christmas bills and are ready to spend more. SHows
you what they know about fishing people :)

Richard

It is loading more messages.