Virgin tycoon Richard Branson in naked encounter with a cactus after fire

Anna

Aug 24, 2011, 2:58:37 PM8/24/11
http://www.news.com.au/virgin-tycoon-richard-branson-in-naked-encounter-with-a-cactus-after-fire/story-e6frfmq9-1226121502255

http://tinyurl.com/3vppntr

BILLIONAIRE Sir Richard Branson had a naked encounter with a cactus
bush as he raced towards the early-morning fire that ravaged his
private island retreat, he wrote on his blog today.

"I tried to get some sympathy for the fact that I'd jumped out of bed
naked and rushed to the Great House in pitch darkness and hurricane-
force winds and ran straight in to a cactus bush," Sir Branson wrote.

But sympathy "was not forthcoming" added Sir Branson, who said none of
his guests were injured in the fire.

The fire, which happened yesterday, drew worldwide headlines after it
was revealed Oscar winner Kate Winslet helped carry Branson's 90-year-
old mum to safety.

Branson said a tropical storm with winds up to 145km/h had swept
across the region, with a lightning strike hitting the vacation home
on Necker Island in the British Virgin Islands about 4am (local time),
setting it alight.

The Virgin tycoon told Britain's ITV that 35-year-old Titanic star
Winslet, "swept (his mother) up into her arms and got them out of the
house as fast as possible."

Winslet, her boyfriend Louis Dowler and her two children, 10-year-old
Mia and seven-year-old Joe, were among the 20 guests staying at
Branson's property when Tropical Storm Irene walloped the Virgin
Islands and the blaze broke out.

Branson's mother Eve and 29-year-old daughter Holly were also in the
home at the time of the fire. Branson and his son Sam were staying in
a villa building about 90m away.

Sir Branson said since the devastating fire there was a "strong sense
of relief that we had all got through it unscathed."

"Watching the sun rise this morning was surreal and haunting - the
true extent of the damage highlighted in the early dawn light," Sir
Branson wrote.

"Smoke still rising and what was once our incredibly beautiful
Balinese home nothing but ashes. But like a phoenix something
beautiful will rise again from those ashes."

Branson also paid tribute to Winslet's children, saying, "They were
real troupers and two of the bravest kids I've ever come across!"

Steve Doerr

Aug 24, 2011, 5:15:23 PM8/24/11
On 24/08/2011 19:58, Anna wrote:
> http://www.news.com.au/virgin-tycoon-richard-branson-in-naked-encounter-with-a-cactus-after-fire/story-e6frfmq9-1226121502255

> "I tried to get some sympathy for the fact that I'd jumped out of bed
> naked and rushed to the Great House in pitch darkness and hurricane-
> force winds and ran straight in to a cactus bush," Sir Branson wrote.
>
> But sympathy "was not forthcoming" added Sir Branson, who said none of
> his guests were injured in the fire.

.au is Australia, right? I'm shocked that an Australian journalist would
call Richard Branson 'Sir Branson'.

--
Steve

F Murtz

Aug 24, 2011, 11:27:16 PM8/24/11

Why? is that not his title?

Duncan Heenan

Aug 25, 2011, 6:08:21 AM8/25/11
"Steve Doerr" <doerr....@gmail.com.INVALID> wrote in message
I'm shocked that anyone would call Branson, 'Sir'!

Andrew McGee

Aug 25, 2011, 6:36:59 AM8/25/11

"F Murtz" <hag...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Sir Richard, not sir Branson