-I-t's that time of year again

1 view

Lydia

Oct 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/4/99
Yes, ladies and gentlemen, and others, it's October, and October is Banned
Books Month. Get thee to a bookstore or library and find thee a book that
caused some little old lady of either sex to gasp in horror: "How could
anybody *dare* write something like *that*!"

Then *read* it.

Indulge your inner rebel.

Support your local controversial writer.

Or something.

This year, I'm starting with "Oliver Twist," soon to be followed with "The
Horse's Mouth" (Joyce Cary), and then maybe "The Thousand and One Nights."

Other banned books include (but most certainly are not limited to):

Huckleberry Finn (Mark Twain)
The Catcher in the Rye (J.D. Salinger)
As I Lay Dying (William Faulkner)
The Hobbit (J.R.R. Tolkien)
The Bible (various)
1984 (George Orwell)
Ulysses (James Joyce)
Of Mice and Men (John Steinbeck)
Uncle Tom's Cabin (Harriet Beecher Stowe)
The Old Man and the Sea (Ernest Hemingway)
Gone with the Wind (Margaret Mitchell)
Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee (Dee Brown)
The Merchant of Venice (William Shakespeare)
Grimm's Fairy Tales
The Diary of Anne Frank
Leaves of Grass (Walt Whitman)
The Great Gatsby (F. Scott Fitzgerald)
Gulliver's Travels (Jonathan Swift)
Naked Lunch (William Burroughs)
Lord of the Flies (William Golding)
Lady Chatterly's Lover (D.H. Lawrence)

Much happy rebellious reading to all!

Lydia

(And while you're at it, visit a museum with a controversial art exhibit.
Rebels have more fun.)

--
"It just rather seems to me that whenever people start to disagree,
someone from the sugar squad runs in with their fluff bubble hoses

Paulo Caetano

Oct 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/4/99
Lydia <lrs...@u.arizona.edu> escreveu no artigo
<lrsimon-ya0231800...@news.arizona.edu>...

> Yes, ladies and gentlemen, and others, it's October, and October is
Banned
> Books Month. Get thee to a bookstore or library and find thee a book
that
> caused some little old lady of either sex to gasp in horror: "How could
> anybody *dare* write something like *that*!"
>
> Other banned books include (but most certainly are not limited to):
>
> The Hobbit (J.R.R. Tolkien)

Are you serious? The Hobbit is a banned book?

Oh, loved the "little old lady of either sex" :)

--
Suravye ninto manshima taishite
Paulo Caetano

Please, remove "_your_mask_" to answer by e-mail

"O que não me mata
Faz-me endurecer
Mas não me dá forças
Para suportar não te ver"
Paulo Caetano, AFAIK

Lydia

Oct 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/4/99
Paulo Caetano wrote:

<snip>

> Are you serious? The Hobbit is a banned book?

The Hobbit was the object of an eventually unsuccessful ban attempt in West
Virginia (I think) in the mid-1980s. Many copies were burned in bonfires.

> Oh, loved the "little old lady of either sex" :)

Thanks. I wish I could take credit for it, but it comes from something
Thomas Huxley said or wrote in the late 1850s regarding Darwin's theory of
evolution by natural selection (about how it would upset little old ladies
of both sexes). I should look that up and maybe add it to my .sig.
Something tells me Rosser would like THH. (Of course, I could be wrong. I
often am.)

Lydia

Andrew Onifer

Oct 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/4/99
On Mon, 04 Oct 1999 10:09:48 -0700, Lydia <lrs...@u.arizona.edu> wrote:
>Yes, ladies and gentlemen, and others, it's October, and October is Banned
>Books Month. Get thee to a bookstore or library and find thee a book that
>caused some little old lady of either sex to gasp in horror: "How could
>anybody *dare* write something like *that*!"

The local bookstore is having a banned book sale. Or at least they did
last week.

jay

--
You a newbie? Get the pack
Email new...@rmta.org

& I tried to tell my life story to the rain, &
& but it just ran into the sewer... &
& Andrew J. Onifer III aon...@bigfoot.com &
& http://www.bigfoot.com/~aonifer/ PGP Key at WWW Page &

Dani Dorresteyn

Oct 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/4/99
lrs...@u.arizona.edu (Lydia) wrote:

>This year, I'm starting with "Oliver Twist," soon to be followed with "The
>Horse's Mouth" (Joyce Cary), and then maybe "The Thousand and One Nights."
>

>Other banned books include (but most certainly are not limited to):
>

>Huckleberry Finn (Mark Twain)
>The Catcher in the Rye (J.D. Salinger)
>As I Lay Dying (William Faulkner)
>The Hobbit (J.R.R. Tolkien)
>The Bible (various)
>1984 (George Orwell)
>Ulysses (James Joyce)
>Of Mice and Men (John Steinbeck)
>Uncle Tom's Cabin (Harriet Beecher Stowe)
>The Old Man and the Sea (Ernest Hemingway)
>Gone with the Wind (Margaret Mitchell)
>Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee (Dee Brown)
>The Merchant of Venice (William Shakespeare)
>Grimm's Fairy Tales
>The Diary of Anne Frank
>Leaves of Grass (Walt Whitman)
>The Great Gatsby (F. Scott Fitzgerald)
>Gulliver's Travels (Jonathan Swift)
>Naked Lunch (William Burroughs)
>Lord of the Flies (William Golding)
>Lady Chatterly's Lover (D.H. Lawrence)

You're kidding, right? These are banned?? Just about all of them
were required reading when I was in high school! And now you're
telling me they're banned? What's next? "Animal Farm"? "The Great
Gatsby"? I love these books! I've got copies of several of them.
That does it-- time to expand my personal library!

Dani and Flop (who likes to be read to... but falls asleep most of the
time...)

Camille E. Kea

Oct 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/5/99
Was Dumas' Camille ever banned? That's what I'm reading right now. It'n not a
book. It's religion.

"What is important is what is...Don't blow it."
"Put on the boots, Dwayne. Put on the boots."
BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS
Remove CarbBabe to e mail me!
Happy Hunting!

Megasus

Oct 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/5/99
Dani said:

<snip list of books>

>You're kidding, right? These are banned?? Just about all of them
>were required reading when I was in high school! And now you're

>telling me they're banned?

That's what I was wondering... most of them still
-are- required reading materials for school. In fact,
in about a week I have to read Huckleberry Finn and
The Great Gatsby for my correspondence English
courses. I read The Hobbit last year.. I've read
Lord of the Flies at least twice, and seen the movie..

As for the rest of the books, I've either read them
all at some point in the last 6 years, or have them
on my book shelf...

What exactly is meant by "banned", anyway? I
know that some of the school libraries around here
banned Shel Silverstein's books.. and I have NO
clue why... they're awesome!

-Meg, who needs to start reading more...

*~Just when you escape, you have yourself to fear...~*
"Love works best when you're not paying attention to it." --A very dear friend
of mine
(remove 'promise' from my email addy to mail me)

Lady Miss Thang

Oct 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/5/99
Dani Dorresteyn (orpha...@mindspring.com) wrote:
: lrs...@u.arizona.edu (Lydia) wrote:

: You're kidding, right? These are banned?? Just about all of them

: were required reading when I was in high school! And now you're
: telling me they're banned?

in some places. a lot of those are still required for some high
schools/colleges though, which is good.

: What's next? "Animal Farm"? "The Great
: Gatsby"?

erm, dani? i don't want to make you sad or anything, but um, look up.

: That does it-- time to expand my personal library!

yes, time for reckless book spending! :)

--ann

--
"i'd like to be a bunny. with a bellybutton. bellybuttons are cute, and if
you're really bored, you can play with bellybutton lint."

curiousyellow

Oct 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/5/99

Lydia wrote in message ...

>Yes, ladies and gentlemen, and others, it's October, and October is Banned
>Books Month.

<snip the list>

What fun. (specially liked your take on the author(s) of the Bible. It's
the word of God, woman! Have you no respect?? Do you *know* what hell
sounds like???
- actually it sounds like this: tsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
sssssssssss (sounds of flames sizzling)
-and this: owowowowowowowowstoppokingmeowowowow (sounds of people being
poked in the bum with pitchforks)
-and this: thlppthlppthlpp (sounds of Kevin Costner and his producers
licking the feet of the Dark One[1] ))

Ahem. I would like to ban all the books that I've read in the past month
and thereby entice you all to read them.
So: (steering the conversation round to me)
here's my little list of banned books

The Travelling Horn Player - Barbara Trapido
Vurt - Jeff Noon
1985 - Anthony Burgess
Fugitive Pieces - Anne Michaels[2]

Paul

[1] Except for anyone involved in "Bull Durham". I liked that, a bit. [3]

[2} Banned for the second year running

[3] God and me have an open relationship. I let Him listen to other
peoples' prayers. He doesn't bother me about the occasional women/men in my
life.

Dani Dorresteyn

Oct 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/5/99
asha...@sophia.smith.edu (Lady Miss Thang) wrote:

>Dani Dorresteyn (orpha...@mindspring.com) wrote:
>: lrs...@u.arizona.edu (Lydia) wrote:

>: >The Great Gatsby (F. Scott Fitzgerald)

>: You're kidding, right? These are banned?? Just about all of them

>: were required reading when I was in high school! And now you're
>: telling me they're banned?

>: What's next? "Animal Farm"? "The Great

>: Gatsby"?
>
>erm, dani? i don't want to make you sad or anything, but um, look up.

AUGH!!! My eyes were in such shock, they skipped right over it! This
does make me sad-- all these great works and some (expletive deleted)
people want to ban them? I say again, AUGH!!!

>: That does it-- time to expand my personal library!
>
>yes, time for reckless book spending! :)

Reckless, with plenty of forethought! If people start to realize
you're collecting banned books... well there's just no telling what
they may do. I wonder if the people trying to do the banning have
even read these books... sigh...

Dani and Flop (who is using this thread to strengthen her argument:
humans are okay, but people are not)

Lydia

Oct 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/5/99
orpha...@mindspring.com wrote:

> asha...@sophia.smith.edu (Lady Miss Thang) wrote:
> >Dani Dorresteyn (orpha...@mindspring.com) wrote:

<snip October is Banned Book Month>

> >: You're kidding, right? These are banned?? Just about all of them
> >: were required reading when I was in high school! And now you're
> >: telling me they're banned?

They are or have been the object of attempted bans in various locations
(most/all in the U.S.). Some even figure in the development of the (U.S.)
legal definitions of "pornography" and "obscenity." Not all of the
attempted bans were successful. Most found their way to bonfires.

> >: What's next? "Animal Farm"?

Yeah, I think most of Orwell's stuff ruffled feathers.

<snip Gatsby>

> AUGH!!! My eyes were in such shock, they skipped right over it! This
> does make me sad-- all these great works and some (expletive deleted)

(fucking? Well, I guess *self*-censorship is okay...)

> people want to ban them? I say again, AUGH!!!

Want some more AUGHs?

"James and the Giant Peach," Roald Dahl
(actually, almost anything by Dahl...)
"Romeo and Juliet," William Shakespeare
"The Grapes of Wrath," John Steinbeck
"I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings," Maya Angelou
"On the Origin of Species," Charles Darwin
(well, duh!)
"The Sun Also Rises," Ernest Hemingway
"Howl," Alan Ginsberg (sp?)

Okay, that's enough for now. (I can't think right now. Anybody, feel free
to add any that you know of.)

<snip>

> >yes, time for reckless book spending! :)
> Reckless, with plenty of forethought! If people start to realize
> you're collecting banned books... well there's just no telling what
> they may do. I wonder if the people trying to do the banning have
> even read these books... sigh...

Some bookstores have displays set up that feature most/all of the books
I've mentioned and a whole bunch more. The bookstore at the U of Arizona
calls this "Banned Books Week," not "Month," but the other bookstores I've
been to recently have "Month." I prefer "Month," myself. I don't think I
could celebrate all this literature in just a week (however valiant an
effort I make).

> Dani and Flop (who is using this thread to strengthen her argument:
> humans are okay, but people are not)

<smile>

Kristin E. Holland

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
[...]

Like somebody has already said, I'm amused at how many of these I had to
read for school. ;-)

-K

--
Kristin E. Holland | You keep using that word.
khol...@sas.upenn.edu | I do not think it means

Dances With Cars

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
While levitating on pure bitch evil, Dances looked down and saw that
lrs...@u.arizona.edu (Lydia) wrote:

>Yes, ladies and gentlemen, and others, it's October, and October is Banned

>Books Month. Get thee to a bookstore or library and find thee a book that
>caused some little old lady of either sex to gasp in horror: "How could
>anybody *dare* write something like *that*!"

>Then *read* it.
>Indulge your inner rebel.
>Support your local controversial writer.
>Or something.

Lydia, if I haven't made it clear enough in my previous postings to
rmt-a, I just have to say...

...you're wonderful. :)

As ever I remain

-Dances With Cars (who is currently reading _the stream and the
sapphire_ by denise levertov, and revelling in the fact that her high
school principal can't do _anything_ about it. </giddy>)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ dwc @ banzai - net . com ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My madness is dear to me. - Denise Levertov/You're insane and you're
dragging me down with you! - Pengie/Welcome madness, say hello...
- Boingo/All you need to start an asylum is an empty room and the
right kind of people. - Alexander Bullock, _My Man Godfrey_

Lydia

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
Dances With Cars wrote:

<snip Banned Books Month>

> Lydia, if I haven't made it clear enough in my previous postings to
> rmt-a, I just have to say...
> ...you're wonderful. :)

<blush>

Aww.. shucks.

Now I feel bad about taking exception to your assertion that Arizona's
Mexican food isn't as good as that in Texas.

> As ever I remain
> -Dances With Cars (who is currently reading _the stream and the
> sapphire_ by denise levertov, and revelling in the fact that her high
> school principal can't do _anything_ about it. </giddy>)

Revelling in your rebelliousness? Perhaps you should listen to Ravel while
you read... (Oh, Ben!)

Lydia

"You like me because I'm a scoundrel."
Han Solo (Harrison Ford), "The Empire Strikes Back"

B. Chas Parisher

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
Lydia sez:
:) Now I feel bad about taking exception to [DWC's] assertion that Arizona's
:) Mexican food isn't as good as that in Texas.

He said WHAT???

Them's fighting words, son.

--B. Chas "Of course, you'll have to be specific about -which- of the seven
types of Mexican food Arizona offers..." Parisher

Dances With Cars

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
While levitating on pure bitch evil, Dances looked down and saw that
lrs...@u.arizona.edu (Lydia) wrote:

>Dances With Cars wrote:
>
><snip Banned Books Month>
>> Lydia, if I haven't made it clear enough in my previous postings to
>> rmt-a, I just have to say...
>> ...you're wonderful. :)
>
><blush>
>Aww.. shucks.
>Now I feel bad about taking exception to your assertion that Arizona's

>Mexican food isn't as good as that in Texas.

Eh...<waves hand>...don't worry about it. I'd just had some damned
tasty Mexican and was giddy with a spicy tomatillo sauce induced
headrush of superiority. [1]

It shan't happen again. ;)

>> As ever I remain
>> -Dances With Cars (who is currently reading _the stream and the
>> sapphire_ by denise levertov, and revelling in the fact that her high
>> school principal can't do _anything_ about it. </giddy>)
>
>Revelling in your rebelliousness? Perhaps you should listen to Ravel while
>you read... (Oh, Ben!)

<meep!>
<hides>

As ever I remain

-Dances With Cars (who's readying the cabbage launcher from her space
in the shadows)

[1] Damned tomatillo sauce! It's worse than crack, I tell ya!

Lydia

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
ba...@netcom.com wrote:

> Lydia sez:
> :) Now I feel bad about taking exception to [DWC's] assertion that Arizona's

> :) Mexican food isn't as good as that in Texas.
>
> He said WHAT???

Erm... "she."

> Them's fighting words, son.

See above. (And if you want to fight Dances, you'll have to go through me.
I'm her rmta-twin, and I'm rather protective. I mean, sure, I'll fight her
over it, but that's different.)

> --B. Chas "Of course, you'll have to be specific about -which- of the seven

Erm... "seven"? I thought there were more than that, but then, my head's
not right, so maybe it is just seven.

> types of Mexican food Arizona offers..." Parisher

You in Arizona, B. Chas? Anywhere near Tucson?

Read any banned books lately?

Dani Dorresteyn

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99
lrs...@u.arizona.edu (Lydia) wrote:

>orpha...@mindspring.com wrote:
>
>> asha...@sophia.smith.edu (Lady Miss Thang) wrote:
>> >Dani Dorresteyn (orpha...@mindspring.com) wrote:
><snip October is Banned Book Month>
>> >: You're kidding, right? These are banned?? Just about all of them
>> >: were required reading when I was in high school! And now you're
>> >: telling me they're banned?
>
>They are or have been the object of attempted bans in various locations
>(most/all in the U.S.). Some even figure in the development of the (U.S.)
>legal definitions of "pornography" and "obscenity." Not all of the
>attempted bans were successful. Most found their way to bonfires.
>
>> >: What's next? "Animal Farm"?
>
>Yeah, I think most of Orwell's stuff ruffled feathers.
>
><snip Gatsby>
>> AUGH!!! My eyes were in such shock, they skipped right over it! This
>> does make me sad-- all these great works and some (expletive deleted)
>
>(fucking? Well, I guess *self*-censorship is okay...)
>
>> people want to ban them? I say again, AUGH!!!
>
>Want some more AUGHs?
>
>"James and the Giant Peach," Roald Dahl
> (actually, almost anything by Dahl...)

I love that one!

>"Romeo and Juliet," William Shakespeare
>"The Grapes of Wrath," John Steinbeck
>"I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings," Maya Angelou
>"On the Origin of Species," Charles Darwin
> (well, duh!)
>"The Sun Also Rises," Ernest Hemingway

But...but...but... it's Papa! They can't ban Papa!

>"Howl," Alan Ginsberg (sp?)
>
>Okay, that's enough for now. (I can't think right now. Anybody, feel free
>to add any that you know of.)
>
><snip>
>> >yes, time for reckless book spending! :)
>> Reckless, with plenty of forethought! If people start to realize
>> you're collecting banned books... well there's just no telling what
>> they may do. I wonder if the people trying to do the banning have
>> even read these books... sigh...
>
>Some bookstores have displays set up that feature most/all of the books
>I've mentioned and a whole bunch more. The bookstore at the U of Arizona
>calls this "Banned Books Week," not "Month," but the other bookstores I've
>been to recently have "Month." I prefer "Month," myself. I don't think I
>could celebrate all this literature in just a week (however valiant an
>effort I make).

And I'm broke... oh well. There's this place that holds book fairs
several times a year a few hours from here... I was planning on going
this weekend but the money said no... I'll have to see if I can go
next time and see how many of these banned books are on their shelves.
And how many of them end up in my library!

>> Dani and Flop (who is using this thread to strengthen her argument:
>> humans are okay, but people are not)
>
><smile>

Dani and Flop (who thinks that most of the rmt-a'ers she's met are
human)

Dani Dorresteyn

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99
ba...@netcom.com (B. Chas Parisher) wrote:

>Lydia sez:
>:) Now I feel bad about taking exception to [DWC's] assertion that Arizona's
>:) Mexican food isn't as good as that in Texas.
>
>He said WHAT???

He's a she.

Dani and Flop (who's also a she but is surprised how many people call
her "Fella")

Elin

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99
En vakker dag, Mon, 04 Oct 1999 13:04:21 -0700, ytret
lrs...@u.arizona.edu (Lydia) følgende:

> Paulo Caetano wrote:
> > Are you serious? The Hobbit is a banned book?
>
> The Hobbit was the object of an eventually unsuccessful ban attempt in West
> Virginia (I think) in the mid-1980s. Many copies were burned in bonfires.

:-O But, why? What's wrong with The Hobbit?
(It's such a nice book!) Bah.

Elin
-who's going to make herself hot chocolate!
--

"The music is the magic carpet that other things take naps on." -Tori Amos-
http://www2.crosswinds.net/~elings/index.html

Elin

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99
En vakker dag, 5 Oct 99 14:48:33 GMT, ytret
asha...@sophia.smith.edu (Lady Miss Thang) følgende:

> Dani Dorresteyn (orpha...@mindspring.com) wrote:
> : That does it-- time to expand my personal library!

> yes, time for reckless book spending! :)

Before I do such a thing, I have to put all my books into our
bookshelves, which I still haven't done. And, more important, I
need the money to buy books. Right now I'm short of money.

Elin

amoli...@visi-dot-com.com

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99
Lest the rest of the world add this great list of banned
books to the great list of things that are weird and wrong about
the USA, I should point out that some (not all, by any means) of
the books on the banned list got there through a scenario a bit
like this:

Little Tyrone does not want to read _Huckleberry_Finn_
because it's long. He realizes that it uses the word "nigger".
He sobs to his momma about how it gives him bad dreams. Momma
goes and hollers at the school board, in this dipshit backwater,
and the school board (being profoundly ignorant) decides to
ban it. The net result is that the librarian pulls it from the
shelves, and the 250 kids in the school district don't get to
read it for a couple of years until the school board quietly
unbans it. And, of course, the press picks up the story, and
the school board of Moron County, Some State In The Deep South,
is revealed for the gang of hysterical inbred ignorant hillbillies
they are.

Occasionally, the hillbillies have a bonfire. But generally
only if the press turns up with cameras. While this is still
weird and wrong, it's not like Everyone Agreed to ban such and
such a book.

The point is, some books have made the banned list by
being banned by a tiny little group of nitwits. Of course, some
also made the list by being banned by kings, and people have
died for owning copies of these books.

B. Chas Parisher

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99
Lydia sez:
:)ba...@netcom.com wrote:
:)>Lydia sez:
:)>:)Now I feel bad about taking exception to [DWC's] assertion that Arizona's
:)>:)Mexican food isn't as good as that in Texas.
:)>He said WHAT???
:)Erm... "she."

Dances With Cars is a she? Hmm. Okay, I'm smokin' crack.

:)>--B. Chas "Of course, you'll have to be specific about -which- of the seven
:)Erm... "seven"? I thought there were more than that, but then, my head's
:)not right, so maybe it is just seven.

Well, I can only think of seven offhand: Tex-Mex, Health-Mex (aka Fresh-Mex
or Californian), Sonoran, Gourmet-Mex, New Mexican, Fast food-Mex, and
Seafood-Mex. Your list may differ.

:)> types of Mexican food Arizona offers..." Parisher
:)You in Arizona, B. Chas? Anywhere near Tucson?

Up until very recently, I lived just outside of Chandler. But, upon reading
all the fine fine reviews of Portland that followed the last ToriCon, and for
other reasons, I've moved up north to face the wilds of Hillsboro, OR.

Now I'm faced with seven types of Asian food.

:)Read any banned books lately?

Yep. Both of them. :)

--B. Chas Parisher

Lydia

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99
amoli...@visi-dot-com.com wrote:

<snip>
> The point is, some

Some?

> books have made the banned list by
> being banned by a tiny little group of nitwits. Of course, some
> also made the list by being banned by kings,

Who were also nitwits, but nitwits with considerable power.

> and people have
> died for owning copies of these books.

And, of course, the whole "Banned Books Month/Week" is just a shameless
ploy to sell more of these books. What can I say? I'm a sucker for the
First Amendment, regardless of the stature of the nitwits attacking it.

Lydia

"Don't be so officious. It's not you. That is the curse of a government job."
Maude (Ruth Gordon), "Harold and Maude"

Dani Dorresteyn

Oct 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/10/99
Elin <el...@rmta.orgSPAMBLOCK> wrote:

>En vakker dag, 5 Oct 99 14:48:33 GMT, ytret
>asha...@sophia.smith.edu (Lady Miss Thang) følgende:
>
>> Dani Dorresteyn (orpha...@mindspring.com) wrote:
>> : That does it-- time to expand my personal library!
>> yes, time for reckless book spending! :)
>
>Before I do such a thing, I have to put all my books into our
>bookshelves, which I still haven't done. And, more important, I
>need the money to buy books. Right now I'm short of money.

I'm always short of money but sometimes you see a deal that's just too
good to pass by.

Dani and Flop (who knows a good deal when she sees one too)

Edward A Carter

Oct 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/10/99
lrs...@u.arizona.edu (Lydia) writes:

> Now I feel bad about taking exception to your assertion that Arizona's

> Mexican food isn't as good as that in Texas.

Oh, I'm sure El Paso's is far better than Flagstaff's... :)

Elin

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99
En vakker dag, Sun, 10 Oct 1999 00:05:48 GMT, ytret
orpha...@mindspring.com (Dani Dorresteyn) følgende:

> I'm always short of money but sometimes you see a deal that's just too
> good to pass by.

Right now I can't affoard even that. I have 400 NOK to live on
until 12 November, and I have to buy my fiancé a birthdaypresent
before that. *sigh*

Elin
--

"The music is the magic carpet that other things take naps on." -Tori Amos-
http://www2.crosswinds.net/~elings/index.html

elin [at] sensewave [dot] comSPAMBLOCK
ICQ# 44669538