Instrumental songs of the 70s...

Robbie

Jul 21, 2008, 1:33:22 PM7/21/08
I'm interested in compiling a collection of songs that made the UK or US
top 40 during the 70s that were purely instrumental (ie featured no
vocals at all - that rules out the likes of Walk In The Night by Junior
Walker, Pick Up The Pieces by Average White Band or even TSOP by MFSB).

So far I have:

Feels So Good - Chuck Mangione
Magic Fly - Space
Morning Dance - Spyro Gyra
Music Box Dancer - Frank Mills

I can't even think of a 5th song - I'm sure there is one!

--
Robbie

George Carden

Jul 21, 2008, 1:53:21 PM7/21/08

Outa-Space - Billy Preston
Machine Gun - Commodores
Theme from SWAT - Rhythm Heritage
A Fifth Of Beethoven - Walter Murphy

Paul

Jul 21, 2008, 2:07:52 PM7/21/08

"George Carden" <Cardb...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Almost anything off Jeff Beck's Blow By Blow and Wired

Robbie

Jul 21, 2008, 2:14:17 PM7/21/08

Cheers! I knew there was a Commodores one but just couldn't remember the
name - Machine Gun - yup!

Never heard of the Billy Preston one but I remember the latter two, one
from TV (SWAT) and one from the charts - I think A Fifth Of Beethoven
may have been a Billboard Hot 100 #1?

--
Robbie

Message has been deleted

Robbie

Jul 21, 2008, 3:07:05 PM7/21/08
Harry Palms wrote:
> two of the biggest instrumental hits of the 70s were
>
> Frankenstein - Edgar Winter Group
> Hocus Pocus - Focus altho that had some yodelling i think
>
> not hit songs but there have been a boatload of excellent
> all-instrumental things in the 70s
> Ritchie Blackmores Rainbow did a bang up version of the Yardbirds
> "Still I'm Sad" on their very first album
> Theres some great instrumental pieces on Yes's album Fragile
> Santana did many great instrumentals, "Europa" was memorable
> Jeff Beck was mentioned, if you;re going to break the line into
> rock-jazz-fusion, then you should probably mention Return To Forever
> Pink Floyd from Dark Side of the Moon did some instrumental stuff but
> there may have been a bit of background vocal here and there
> ZZ Top did a lovely instrumental, "Asleep in the Desert"
> Emerson Lake and Palmer did some instrumental things
> Rick Wakeman did all kinds of instrumental stuff
>
> I bet there has not been an instrumental top ten hit in the US charts
> in 20 years.
>
> People dont care how well you can play anymore.
>
> thank you american Idol and mtv.

Just thought of one from your post:

Fanfare For The Common Man - ELP

a UK #2 in 1977...

I can't believe I forgot that one, I used to have the single back then!

The B side was Brain Salad Surgery, which may have been from an older
album...

--
Robbie

WilliamWMeyer

Jul 21, 2008, 3:39:37 PM7/21/08

"Robbie" <ngrob...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Popcorn
Joy (by Apollo 100 ? )
Love Is Blue
Love's Theme
Tubular Bells
Breezin'
Also Sprach Zarathustra
Oxygene, Jean-Michel Jarre
Salsoul Hustle (?)
I Robot, Alan Parsons Project

Message has been deleted

Andreas

Jul 21, 2008, 4:49:55 PM7/21/08

"Robbie" wrote:
> I'm interested in compiling a collection of songs that made the UK or US
> top 40 during the 70s that were purely instrumental (ie featured no vocals
> at all - that rules out the likes of Walk In The Night by Junior Walker,
> Pick Up The Pieces by Average White Band or even TSOP by MFSB).
>
> So far I have:
>
> Feels So Good - Chuck Mangione
> Magic Fly - Space
> Morning Dance - Spyro Gyra
> Music Box Dancer - Frank Mills

Aria - Acker Bilk (UK #5 in 1976)
Nut Rocker - B Bumble & Stingers (UK #19 in 1972)
Scotch On The Rocks - Band Of The Black Watch (UK #8 in 1975)
Nadia's Theme - Barry DeVorzon & Perry Botkin Jr.
Summer Of 42 - Biddu Orchestra (UK #14 in 1975)
Rain Forest - Biddu Orchestra (UK #39 in 1976)
Floral Dance - Brighouse & Rastrick Brass Band (UK #2 in 1977)
Rock On Brother - Chequers (UK #21 in 1975)

geez I'm still at 'C' lol

too lazy to continue today :)

Andreas

Dean F.

Jul 21, 2008, 4:57:02 PM7/21/08

Robbie

Jul 21, 2008, 7:19:07 PM7/21/08

Excellent! You sound rather British!

--
Robbie

Igor

Jul 21, 2008, 7:58:24 PM7/21/08

Space Race -- Billy Preston
Rockford Files Theme -- Mike Post

Uni

Jul 21, 2008, 8:12:40 PM7/21/08
Robbie wrote:
> I'm interested in compiling a collection of songs that made the UK or US
> top 40 during the 70s that were purely instrumental (ie featured no
> vocals at all - that rules out the likes of Walk In The Night by Junior
> Walker, Pick Up The Pieces by Average White Band or even TSOP by MFSB).
>
> So far I have:
>
> Feels So Good - Chuck Mangione
> Magic Fly - Space
> Morning Dance - Spyro Gyra
> Music Box Dancer - Frank Mills

That song above would have fit well in the '60's!!!

How about Edgar Winter "Frankenstein"?

Uni

Uni

Jul 21, 2008, 8:19:43 PM7/21/08
Harry Palms wrote:
> not rock and roll but the banjo-guitar duel "deliverance" hit big in
> the states in the 70s

Yep! Have to rip that to MP3! :-)

Uni

> vanhalens guitar solo "eruption" wasnt a hit but it got a bunch of
> airplay in the states
>
> somebody just told me they think the last instrumental to make the top
> twenty in america was Jan Hammers Theme To Miami Vice... in the 1980s.
>
> I was right, there hasnt been an instrumental hit in the states in 20
> years.
>
> Further proof that modern music sucks because the modern audience has
> the attention span of a 4 year old.... and they listen with their
> eyes.

Uni

Jul 21, 2008, 8:21:46 PM7/21/08
Andreas wrote:
> "Robbie" wrote:
>
>>I'm interested in compiling a collection of songs that made the UK or US
>>top 40 during the 70s that were purely instrumental (ie featured no vocals
>>at all - that rules out the likes of Walk In The Night by Junior Walker,
>>Pick Up The Pieces by Average White Band or even TSOP by MFSB).
>>
>>So far I have:
>>
>>Feels So Good - Chuck Mangione
>>Magic Fly - Space
>>Morning Dance - Spyro Gyra
>>Music Box Dancer - Frank Mills
>>

> Aria - Acker Bilk (UK #5 in 1976)
> Nut Rocker - B Bumble & Stingers (UK #19 in 1972)

Wow! Took that long for it to chart there!?

Uni

Uni

Jul 21, 2008, 8:23:21 PM7/21/08
Harry Palms wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 13:07:52 -0500, "Paul" <pkmu...@sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
>

> two of the biggest instrumental hits of the 70s were
>
> Frankenstein - Edgar Winter Group
> Hocus Pocus - Focus altho that had some yodelling i think

Yeah, I was going to say that. Lots of vocal noise, but damn good song! :-)

Uni

Paul

Jul 21, 2008, 10:02:06 PM7/21/08

"Harry Palms" <HPLaur...@yahoonospam.com> wrote in message

> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 20:07:05 +0100, Robbie <ngrob...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> not rock and roll but the banjo-guitar duel "deliverance" hit big in
> the states in the 70s
>
> vanhalens guitar solo "eruption" wasnt a hit but it got a bunch of
> airplay in the states
>
> somebody just told me they think the last instrumental to make the top
> twenty in america was Jan Hammers Theme To Miami Vice... in the 1980s.
>
> I was right, there hasnt been an instrumental hit in the states in 20
> years.
>
> Further proof that modern music sucks because the modern audience has
> the attention span of a 4 year old.... and they listen with their
> eyes.

What was that Joe Satriani song? Always With Me, Always With You, something
like that? Might have been a bit more than 20 years ago.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Robbie

Jul 22, 2008, 9:54:16 AM7/22/08
Harry Palms wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 16:58:24 -0700 (PDT), Igor <thoo...@excite.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Rockford Files Theme -- Mike Post
>>

> excellent, forgot about that one and Mike Oldfields tubular bells.
>
> someone mentioned Joe Satriani may have had some sort of hit with an
> instrumental but when was it?
>
> Now let's hear all the great instrumentals getting lots of airplay in
> the last 15 years or so
>
> <crickets chirping>
>

> I thought so.
>
> When you've got the Arctic Monkeys getting Grammy nominations for best
> instrumental, you know the medium is desperate and dying.

Well, the instrumental song (ie with no human voice) IS a dying thing.
Very few songs are made in that style these days.

--
Robbie

Paul

Jul 22, 2008, 11:13:14 AM7/22/08
The only instrumentals I can think of from say the last 20 years or so
was
Candy Dulfer's 'Lily was Here' which I think was from 1990 and no
later than 1991
and a couple songs by Kenny G
'Songbird' from 1987 and
'Sentimental' from 1993.

Other than those 3, I cannot think of any others that even charted.

Although not completely instrumental, Enigma's 'Sadness Part 1' comes
to mind from 1991. Were it not for the chants throughout the song it
would've been instrumental.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Andreas

Jul 22, 2008, 12:25:25 PM7/22/08
"Robbie" wrote:
> Excellent! You sound rather British!

Well, without counting them, but I guess there were lots more instrumentals
charting in Britain than in the US in the 70s.
Here's a few more:
Doina De Jale - Gheorghe Zamfir
Spinnin' Rock Boogie - Hank C. Burnette (1976!)
Rise - Herb Alpert (though with a minimum of vocals in it)
Cavatina - John Williams
Sleepy Shores - Johnny Pearson
Egyptian Reggae - Jonathan Richman
Inside America - Juggy Jones
Dr. Who - Mankind
The Flasher - Mistura
Groovin' With Mr. Bloe - Mr. Bloe
The Crunch - Rah Band
Amazing Grace and others - Royal Scots Dragoon Guards
Argentine Melody - San Jose
Festival Time - San Remo Strings
Eye Level - Simon Park Orchestra (#1!)
In The Mood - Sound 9418
I Will Return - Springwater
Clog Dance - Violinski
Mozart Symphony No. 40 - Waldo De Los Rios
Who Pays The Ferryman - Yannis Markoupoulos
East Of Eden - Jig-A-Jig

Many of those reached the higher regions of the UK charts.

Andreas

Uni

Jul 22, 2008, 10:55:41 PM7/22/08
Harry Palms wrote:
> you're going against the grain of conventional argument, which is, the
> human voice IS a musical instrument, therefore, an instrumental can
> include the human voice.
>
> these arguments usually center around discussions of whether or not
> lead singers, who dont play an instrument, cant write music or read
> music, cant arrange, etc, are they musicians or not? and the answer
> usually is, their voice is their instrument.

So, were there any Top 10 songs of any era that did not use any instruments?

Uni

Beards1959

Jul 23, 2008, 12:21:17 AM7/23/08

"Paul" <pkmu...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

Frank Mills also had a minor hit with Peter Piper

And don't forget the two Star Wars themes
John Williams and Meco
Speaking of Meco, they or he did a fantastic disco version of Wizard of Oz
Took up both sides of the album

That is, if I can say fantastic and disco in the same breath
A couple that just missed the 70's
Herb Alpert - Rise
Herb Alpert - Rotation

Robbie

Jul 23, 2008, 4:47:15 AM7/23/08

Rise just made the 70s - I think it reached #1 in the US in October 1979.

--
Robbie

Paul

Jul 23, 2008, 10:27:45 AM7/23/08
Rise did indeed hit #1 on October 20, 1979 and stayed there for two
weeks. It dethroned MJ's Don't Stop and was displaced by M's Pop
Muzic.

Rotation entered the Hot 100 on November 17, 1979 on December 22, 1979
it was at #40 on the Hot 100 and would not peak until 1980

Message has been deleted

Robbie

Jul 23, 2008, 11:18:33 AM7/23/08
Paul wrote:

> On Jul 23, 9:27 am, Paul <PFree15...@aol.com> wrote:
>> Rotation entered the Hot 100 on November 17, 1979 on December 22, 1979
>> it was at #40 on the Hot 100 and would not peak until 1980
>
> I should also mention that December 22 was the last chart for 1979.
> The chart for the week ending December 29 was identical to the
> December 22 chart and was considered 'frozen' due to the year end
> special issue. That issue covered December 17 and December 24 and was
> on sale the week of December 31, 1979 thru January 04, 1980.
>
> Were it not for those frozen charts whatever was #1 that week would've
> racked up 1 less week at the top.
>
> I know for awhile the Cashbox charts were being posted here for the
> 70's, DID they follow the same procedure as Billboard for their year
> end issues? How about Record World? or was the frozen chart something
> unique to Billboard?

Cashbox did sometimes freeze a chart as no issue was produced. Sometimes
the chart was frozen for two weeks eg in 1983 there was no issue on
January 1 and the chart for January 8 was a reprint of the December 25,
1982 chart. Some years, especially for most of the 70s, there were no
frozen charts.

The Cashbox charts are at http://members.aol.com/randypny/cashbox/
--
Robbie

Paul

Jul 23, 2008, 11:19:41 AM7/23/08
On Jul 23, 9:27 am, Paul <PFree15...@aol.com> wrote:

> Rotation entered the Hot 100 on November 17, 1979 on December 22, 1979
> it was at #40 on the Hot 100 and would not peak until 1980

I should also mention that December 22 was the last chart for 1979.

Paul

Jul 23, 2008, 11:20:44 AM7/23/08
Thanks Robbie. It would make sense I guess to take a week off from the
charts to close out the year, etc.
Message has been deleted

Paul

Jul 24, 2008, 5:38:27 PM7/24/08
>So, were there any Top 10 songs of any era that did not use any instruments?

A couple that comes to mind without instruments are

BoyzIIMen It's So Hard To Say Goodbye #2 Hot 100 #1 R+B from 1991 and

If I Ever Fall In Love #6 Hot 100 in 1993 #3 R+B by Shai

Uni

Jul 24, 2008, 10:33:14 PM7/24/08

Way out of my league, but nice answer, Paul!

Uni

Paul

Jul 25, 2008, 6:54:57 AM7/25/08

You did ask for songs without instruments and those were the only 2 I
could think of and as you can see from their chart positions, both
were major hits. As a side note, I am pretty sure both of them or at
least ISHTSG was on 45 at the time although by 1993 very few majors
were still pressing singles.

costel...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2013, 11:47:55 AM1/17/13
On Monday, July 21, 2008 1:33:22 PM UTC-4, Robbie wrote:
> I'm interested in compiling a collection of songs that made the UK or US
> top 40 during the 70s that were purely instrumental (ie featured no
> vocals at all - that rules out the likes of Walk In The Night by Junior
> Walker, Pick Up The Pieces by Average White Band or even TSOP by MFSB).
>
> So far I have:
>
> Feels So Good - Chuck Mangione
> Magic Fly - Space
> Morning Dance - Spyro Gyra
> Music Box Dancer - Frank Mills
>
> I can't even think of a 5th song - I'm sure there is one!
>
> --
> Robbie

I cant remember a particular album made in 1970-72 . :-( the album I think has 7 to 8 songs. the album color is red. I think most to all songs are Instrumental and on average 8-11+ minutes long.

I think the name of the song is called " The swamp symphony song " or something similar to it. I think its the first song if not than its the second or third. Its a pretty long song.

Can anybody help?

Genre: (I think) funk, R&b, Soul,

po...@aol.com

Jan 18, 2013, 11:54:24 PM1/18/13
On Thu, 17 Jan 2013 08:47:55 -0800 (PST), costel...@gmail.com
wrote:

>On Monday, July 21, 2008 1:33:22 PM UTC-4, Robbie wrote:
>> I'm interested in compiling a collection of songs that made the UK or US
>> top 40 during the 70s that were purely instrumental (ie featured no
>> vocals at all - that rules out the likes of Walk In The Night by Junior
>> Walker, Pick Up The Pieces by Average White Band or even TSOP by MFSB).
>>
>> So far I have:
>>
>> Feels So Good - Chuck Mangione
>> Magic Fly - Space
>> Morning Dance - Spyro Gyra
>> Music Box Dancer - Frank Mills
>>
>> I can't even think of a 5th song - I'm sure there is one!
>>
>> --
>> Robbie

Tubular Bells - Mike Oldfield

Nick from England

Jan 22, 2013, 2:27:57 AM1/22/13
<po...@aol.com> wrote in message
and at #6 we have...
The Persuaders Theme by John Barry!
Moore is available on Wiki like it was a UK #13 hit.
It rogered some of the opposition, but, obviously, not all! :-D

--
NfE

BobbyM

Jan 22, 2013, 6:36:15 PM1/22/13
To Nick & the others who have replied to this 4 1/2 year old thread, I
dedicate this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVaPwdgezWI

DianeE

Jan 22, 2013, 7:31:36 PM1/22/13

"BobbyM" <massey...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> To Nick & the others who have replied to this 4 1/2 year old thread, I
> dedicate this song:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVaPwdgezWI

---------------
Is that the guy who got killed on "Treme" last year?

DianeE

BobbyM

Jan 22, 2013, 7:42:13 PM1/22/13
Unfortunately, I've never seen Treme as it's never been picked up by any
of the Korean channels. But, yes, it's the same guy. Been a huge fan
of Earle since the beginning when he broke out with this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otTW0JczoGQ

DianeE

Jan 22, 2013, 9:10:51 PM1/22/13

"BobbyM" <massey...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
---------------
Pretty nice (coming from a non-country-music-fan)! Actually never heard of
him until he was on "Treme."

I don't know whether or not you'd like that show. Half the time *I* don't
even know why I watch it. Many of the characters are not likable people at
all--in fact, a couple of the main characters are downright annoying.

Basically the whole show is a big valentine to the people and culture of New
Orleans, and a cry of outrage over the corruption and ineptitude that led to
its destruction by Katrina and crippled its recovery.

There have been 3 seasons already so it must be out on DVD, no?

DianeE

BobbyM

Jan 22, 2013, 9:53:15 PM1/22/13
A lot of people probably are familiar with Steve Earle thru Copperhead
Road: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhMO9azmKNU

I've always considered this song a modern version of "Thunder Road". It
got quite a bit of play on VH1 at the time. Unfortunately it was around
that time that Earle got heavily into heroin & his writing tapered off
for awhile & he ended up spending some time in prison. The time off
served him well though as he's been a lot more consistent since his return.

Rather than a country singer, I think Earle pretty well defined himself
in one of his songs, when he sings about the last of the hard core
troubadours.

I can probably find some episodes of Treme on the web somewhere. Guess
I'll have to do some searching this weekend. It took me awhile but I
finally got caught up on "Person of Interest" a couple of weeks ago. A
Korean channel ran the 1st year's episodes but hasn't gotten around to
running the 2d so I had to dig around the internet until I found them.

Mr. M

Jan 24, 2013, 3:18:25 PM1/24/13

BobbyM

Jan 25, 2013, 3:27:19 AM1/25/13
Disqualified! This song breaks the rules of the thread.

Nick from England

Jan 25, 2013, 10:42:19 PM1/25/13
"Mr. M" <vinyl...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Sounds like a 70s tune and sounds like it *should* have been a hit.

Eye Level (the theme to TV's Van der Valk) by the Simon Park Orchestra was a
UK #1 in 1973.

--
NfE

Rick Deez Nutz

Mar 30, 2014, 4:57:15 AM3/30/14
Not sure how high it charted, but "Stone Fox Chase"(1970) by Areacode 615 was used as the theme song for Old Grey Whistle Test. And, it's worth a spin. Must have charted in jolly ol' england...

genuineuni

Apr 11, 2014, 5:50:09 PM4/11/14
On Monday, July 21, 2008 4:57:02 PM UTC-4, Dean F. wrote:
> This Rhino comp might interest you:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Rock-Instrumental-Classics-Vol-Seventies/dp/B000003387/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1216673822&sr=1-4

May "vocal" songs there, not "true" instrumentals.

Uni

trabi...@gmail.com

Apr 11, 2014, 8:04:51 PM4/11/14
On Monday, July 21, 2008 7:33:22 PM UTC+2, Robbie wrote:
> I'm interested in compiling a collection of songs that made the UK or US
> top 40 during the 70s that were purely instrumental (ie featured no
> vocals at all - that rules out the likes of Walk In The Night by Junior
> Walker, Pick Up The Pieces by Average White Band or even TSOP by MFSB).
>
> So far I have:
>
> Feels So Good - Chuck Mangione
> Magic Fly - Space
> Morning Dance - Spyro Gyra
> Music Box Dancer - Frank Mills
>
> I can't even think of a 5th song - I'm sure there is one!
> check out Bob James
> --
> Robbie

Dave The Rave

Apr 24, 2014, 10:41:05 AM4/24/14
On Monday, July 21, 2008 10:02:06 PM UTC-4, Paul wrote:
> "Harry Palms" <HPLaur...@yahoonospam.com> wrote in message
> > On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 20:07:05 +0100, Robbie <ngrob...@hotmail.com>
> > wrote:

> >>Just thought of one from your post:
> >>
> >>Fanfare For The Common Man - ELP
> >>
> >>a UK #2 in 1977...
> >>
> >>I can't believe I forgot that one, I used to have the single back then!
> >>
> >>The B side was Brain Salad Surgery, which may have been from an older
> >>album...
> >

> > not rock and roll but the banjo-guitar duel "deliverance" hit big in
> > the states in the 70s
> >
> > vanhalens guitar solo "eruption" wasnt a hit but it got a bunch of
> > airplay in the states
> >
> > somebody just told me they think the last instrumental to make the top
> > twenty in america was Jan Hammers Theme To Miami Vice... in the 1980s.
> >
> > I was right, there hasnt been an instrumental hit in the states in 20
> > years.
> >
> > Further proof that modern music sucks because the modern audience has
> > the attention span of a 4 year old.... and they listen with their
> > eyes.
> >

> What was that Joe Satriani song? Always With Me, Always With You, something
> like that? Might have been a bit more than 20 years ago.

Satriani' "Satche's Boogie" was played a lot. Made me buy it.

Dave The Rave

genuineuni

Apr 30, 2014, 5:39:49 PM4/30/14
Dave, you mean this?....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7qD4acDu68

Dave The Rave

May 3, 2014, 10:47:07 AM5/3/14
Yes. As a guitar player myself, I'm always looking for excellent (and fun) examples of guitar playing. Saw him at the first 3G concert in Columbus,OH. Part of the CD was recorded at that show. Steve Vai was fun, too.

Dave The Rave

Rink

Jul 23, 2020, 7:23:44 PM7/23/20
Op 12-4-2014 om 2:04 schreef trabi...@gmail.com:
Popcorn
from The Popcornmakers
or from Hot Butter (1972)

Rink

swldx...@gmail.com

Oct 29, 2020, 3:58:14 PM10/29/20
On Monday, July 21, 2008 at 6:33:22 PM UTC+1, Robbie wrote:
> I'm interested in compiling a collection of songs that made the UK or US
> top 40 during the 70s that were purely instrumental (ie featured no
> vocals at all - that rules out the likes of Walk In The Night by Junior
> Walker, Pick Up The Pieces by Average White Band or even TSOP by MFSB).
>
> So far I have:
>
> Feels So Good - Chuck Mangione
> Magic Fly - Space
> Morning Dance - Spyro Gyra
> Music Box Dancer - Frank Mills
>
> I can't even think of a 5th song - I'm sure there is one!
>
> --
> Robbie

Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene Pt 4.

Oct 30, 2020, 12:14:35 PM10/30/20

<swldx...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Some others to consider:

Hot Butter - Popcorn UK #5 1972
Hank C Burnette - Spinning rock boogie UK #21 1976
Mr. Bloe - Groovin' with Mr. Bloe UK #2 1970
Lieutenant Pigeon - Mouldy old dough UK #1 1972
Acker Bilk - Aria UK #5 1976

Jim Rockford, P.I.

Apr 29, 2021, 12:49:52 PM4/29/21
On Monday, July 21, 2008 at 11:33:22 AM UTC-6, Robbie wrote:
> I'm interested in compiling a collection of songs that made the UK or US
> top 40 during the 70s that were purely instrumental (ie featured no
> vocals at all - that rules out the likes of Walk In The Night by Junior
> Walker, Pick Up The Pieces by Average White Band or even TSOP by MFSB).
> So far I have:
> Feels So Good - Chuck Mangione
> Magic Fly - Space
> Morning Dance - Spyro Gyra
> Music Box Dancer - Frank Mills
> I can't even think of a 5th song - I'm sure there is one!
> --
> Robbie

How could anyone forget the iconic TSOP by MFSB?!!!!!

Harry
http://harry.cckerala.com/pop/download.php