Redd Foxx singles

DianeE

May 17, 2016, 12:34:10 PM5/17/16
While looking at Global Dog's DooTone discography I noticed several singles
on DooTone or Dooto by Redd Foxx. From the titles it looked like they were
spoken-word comedy rather than songs, but that's just a guess. (Titles
included "The Honeymooners, " "The Preacher's Bicycle," and "The Dead
Jackass," for example.) Went to youtube to check them out but they could
not be found. Anyone here have better search skills than I do?

Thanx DianeE

Mark Dintenfass

May 17, 2016, 12:59:30 PM5/17/16
In article <kp6dnZLIrNCc1abK...@giganews.com>, DianeE
I have two songs sung by Redd Foxx--"Living In A Crazy House" and
"Lucky Guy." They're pretty typical r&b of the 40s, well done. Let me
know if you want them.

--
--md
_________

SavoyBG

May 17, 2016, 2:01:33 PM5/17/16
The Crazy House, is from 1957.

SavoyBG

May 17, 2016, 2:04:03 PM5/17/16

Mark Dintenfass

May 17, 2016, 2:09:58 PM5/17/16
In article <bb47fa1e-c2d9-4a68...@googlegroups.com>,
Thanks. But stylistically it's not all that different from "Lucky Guy,"
which I have listed as 1946.

Roger Ford

May 17, 2016, 4:09:13 PM5/17/16
As Bruce has pointed out "It's Fun To Be Living In The Crazy House"
was released in 1957 (Dooto 416). The flip is his version of The
Meadowlarks' "Real Pretty Mama"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi_Xz_xQDgw

"Lucky Guy" was recorded for Savoy in 1946 as by "Kenny Watts'
Brooklyn Buddies vocal Redd Foxx" and released that year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lBclOZYktk

This was the flipside of Savoy 630. The topside was "Let's Wiggle A
Little Woogie" and here 'tis :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzWepvdUM1c

His second Savoy single (#645) in 1947 was "Shame On You"

I can't locate it on YouTube but if nobody else posts it I'll get it
on there tomorrow . The non-Foxx flip was "Back Talk Boogie" by Pete
Brown

Later in 1947 came "Fine Jelly Blues" (Savoy 651)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bMVlmp-sPE

The flip was "Redd Foxx Blues"

Again not on YouTube that I can find but look for it tomorrow.

All the Savoy tracks were recorded September 30 1946

ROGER FORD
-----------------------

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk).

Roger Ford

May 18, 2016, 8:01:40 AM5/18/16
On Tue, 17 May 2016 20:09:01 GMT, mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk (Roger
Ford) wrote:

>On Tue, 17 May 2016 11:59:29 -0500, Mark Dintenfass
><mdint...@xxnew.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>In article <kp6dnZLIrNCc1abK...@giganews.com>, DianeE
>><Tired...@SorryFolks.com> wrote:
>>
>>> While looking at Global Dog's DooTone discography I noticed several singles
>>> on DooTone or Dooto by Redd Foxx. From the titles it looked like they were
>>> spoken-word comedy rather than songs, but that's just a guess. (Titles
>>> included "The Honeymooners, " "The Preacher's Bicycle," and "The Dead
>>> Jackass," for example.) Went to youtube to check them out but they could
>>> not be found. Anyone here have better search skills than I do?
>>
>>I have two songs sung by Redd Foxx--"Living In A Crazy House" and
>>"Lucky Guy." They're pretty typical r&b of the 40s, well done. Let me
>>know if you want them.
>>
>As Bruce has pointed out "It's Fun To Be Living In The Crazy House"
>was released in 1957 (Dooto 416). The flip is his version of The
>Meadowlarks' "Real Pretty Mama"
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi_Xz_xQDgw
>
>"Lucky Guy" was recorded for Savoy in 1946 as by "Kenny Watts'
>Brooklyn Buddies vocal Redd Foxx" and released that year.
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lBclOZYktk
>
>This was the flipside of Savoy 630. The topside was "Let's Wiggle A
>Little Woogie" and here 'tis
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzWepvdUM1c
>
>His second Savoy single (#645) in 1947 was "Shame On You"
>
>I can't locate it on YouTube but if nobody else posts it I'll get it
>on there tomorrow . The non-Foxx flip was "Back Talk Boogie" by Pete
>Brown
>
>Later in 1947 came "Fine Jelly Blues" (Savoy 651)
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bMVlmp-sPE
>
>The flip was "Redd Foxx Blues"
>
>Again not on YouTube that I can find but look for it tomorrow.
>
>All the Savoy tracks were recorded September 30 1946

Okay,first a correction :-

The sequence above is wrong since his second single was "Redd Foxx
Blues"/"Fine Jelly Blues" the correct number of which was Savoy 631
and not as stated above

Here as promised is the missing YouTube link for "Redd Foxx Blues"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2HxUNFSJ0o

Now here's the link for "Shame On You" now on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShISOW8E2JM

Finally in the interests of completion here's a link for the non-Foxx
flipside mentioned above - Pete Brown and "Back Talk Boogie"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDiaCOPOd9U

DianeE

May 18, 2016, 9:05:54 PM5/18/16

Well, thanks for all the responses, but what I'm really looking for is those
DooTone records from 1956 or thereabouts...."The Dead Jackass" and so forth.

DianeE

Frank

May 18, 2016, 9:56:37 PM5/18/16

RWC

May 19, 2016, 9:22:02 PM5/19/16
These 3 tracks are also spread over his first 3 albums - "Laff Of The Party"
Volumes 1 to 3 - 1956
For track listings:
http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/redd_foxx/laff_of_the_party_volume_1/
click the small Next> above 'Track listing' to go to next album

Laff Of The Party (Vol 1) - Side 2
https://app.box.com/s/c2dmqmf64f57miajoyq9rqxoc5lkmkr3
The Honeymooners - 5:23 - funny!
The Politician - 3:39 from 5:26
The Jackasses - 2:40 from 9:08
The Race Track - 4:44 from 11:52

I can't find "The Preacher's Bicycle".

"The Dead Jackass" is aka "Women Over Forty"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjisZZ765gk

If you appreciate mid-50s 'blue' humor, you might also like this:
Sloppy Daniels - Laff Of The Party : Volume 5 - 1957
https://www.discogs.com/Sloppy-Daniels-Laff-Of-The-Party-Volume-5-By-Sloppy-Daniels/release/6979743
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwTv7tJ3Bdo - side a
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU_Lm9uYalg - side b

Recently, I came across this magazine in Google Books;
clearly there was a thriving and confident Negro middle-middle-class in the
early 60s
Ebony - June 1962
https://books.google.com.au/books?id=jtcDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA1
it was the many sophisticated adverts that initially caught my attention - the
mid-market products, attractive young-Leslie-Uggams-like or Obama-like 'bronze'
faces abounding, and an advert for Dr. Fred's Skin Whitener on page 58 (and page
99 promotes a Bleaching Cream).

Then I read the 'Letters To The Editor' section starting on page 13...
On page 20 two letters praise an article in the April 1962 issue, "Why I'll
Always Sing The Blues - B. B. King". A good and revealing read:
https://books.google.com.au/books?id=X9cDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA94
A third letter on the article suggests that a section of Negro society had, for
some years now, been wanting to distance themselves from Blues music and
Spirituals - because this music is "only associated with Negroes or denotes a
Negro". The writer {a Black stationed in Germany, who says he now also
understands and appreciates Opera} goes on to say: "I believe the blues is every
much a part of our culture as our gospel songs, which most of the younger
Negroes have become ashamed of also...... [B B King had recently said he was
being heckled {by young negroes} because "they want something with a beat...they
think all blues singers drink gin and smoke 'pot' and beat their wives every
Saturday"] ".

On another subject, there's a letter from the {Negro} Jim Dandy Ski Club of
Detroit :-)

Btw, Latinos are referred to as 'Spanish-speaking people'.

There's a major article on 44-year-old Negro Harvey C. Russell who in January
had been promoted by Pepsi-Cola to Vice-President in charge of special markets.
{it seems 'special' means non-whites}

"Negros, 11 per cent of the U.S. population, consume 17 per cent of all soft
drinks sold."

Another long article coves the debate on the proposed ban on boxing {prize
fighting}, following the coma and death of welterweight title contender Benny
Parat {apparantly the referee allowed 20 or so punches in a row when Parat's
head was between the ropes; but his manager should not have arranged the fight
in the first place - the writing was on the wall for this tired fighter}. We
were reminded of the death of Sam Baroudi in 1948 after being knocked out by
championship bound Ezzard Charles, and of Jimmy Doyle in 1947 at the
hands/gloves of Sugar Ray Robinson. {but Boxing worldwide had less deaths in a
year than U.S. collage football - a sacred cow because of its high yield of
revenue to revered alma maters}

A mail-order advert for many Dooto record albums is on page 60.

A long article on school segregation starts on page 89.

(Uncensored) NEGRO HISTORY Part 7 - THE CIVIL WAR AT A GLANCE
page 132

RWC

May 19, 2016, 10:34:10 PM5/19/16
On Tue, 17 May 2016 11:59:29 -0500, Mark Dintenfass <mdint...@xxnew.rr.com>
wrote:

(Redd Foxx was born Jon Elroy Sanford in Dec 1922, in the poor part of St.
Louis, Missouri [younger brother of Fred G. Sanford Jr.]; he died on the set of
'The Royal Family' TV show in Oct 1991 - by then he had hit hard times and was
said to owe about $3 million to the IRS.) {Walter "Dootsie" Williams also died
in 1991}

"Lucky Guy" is on Savoy 630-B from 1946.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lBclOZYktk

I have the A side, "Let's Wiggle A Little Woogie"
(red Savoy label says: Vocal by REDD FOXX, KENNY WATT'S BROOKLYN BUDDIES, Kenny
Watts, Piano: {Stafford} "Pazzuza" Simon, Tenor Sax: ... )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_jBE5x-6U4
the band was actually Kenny Watts & His Jumpin' Buddies

Recorded Sept 30, 1946 in Newark, NYC, under the direction of Savoy's top
producer Teddy Reig, together with four other tracks, "Let's Wiggle A Little
Woogie" was Redd's first recording:
http://www.jazzdisco.org/savoy-records/discography-1946/
* Savoy 630 Redd Foxx/Kenny Watts - Let's Wiggle A Little Woogie / Lucky Guy
* Savoy 631 Redd Foxx/Kenny Watts - Fine Jelly Blues / Redd Foxx Blues
* Savoy 645 Pete Brown - Back Talk Boogie {not RF} / Shame On You

"While the tunes had a bluesy feel they also had a humorous edge, which not only
helped to turn the focus away from Redd's voice, which was serviceable at best,
and hadn't yet developed its later gravelly growl, but also played off the hip
attitude of "the funniest dishwater on this earth" {a comment made by a once
close friend, later known as Malcolm X, referring to the time when Redd, then
known as Chicago Red, kept the kitchen staff in stitches as he washed dishes at
Jimmy's Chicken Shack in Harlem during 1943}."

" 'Lucky Guy' was the funniest of Redd's five Savoy tracks, an upbeat number in
which Redd sings about his woman, who he knows will never go out and cheat on
him because of her physical ailments - lyrics that would have been perfectly
suited to future {1972} 'Sanford and Son' junk dealer Fred G. Sanford."

Redd Foxx EP and LP discography 1946 - 1962 {1956 - 1967} [all on Dootone/Dooto]
http://www.bsnpubs.com/la/dootone/dootone.html
"the vast majority of the albums released by the label were raunchy party
records, or "blue" material. As with most comedy records before the late 1960s,
the language on these discs was not actually obscene at all, but rather,
"suggestive," with the double-entendres. But in the 1950s, these records stayed
under the record store counter unless somebody came in and asked for them. The
most successful comedian on the label was Redd Foxx (real name: John Elroy
Sanford), and he sold thousands of records on college campuses before most
people ever heard of him. Redd Foxx was a comedian on the burlesque circuit,
providing the comedy routines between the strippers. He had teamed up in
Baltimore in the early 1950s with comedian Slappy White as the duo "Redd &
White." After the duo agreed to go their separate ways in the mid-1950s, Foxx
relocated to California and signed a long contract with Dootsie Williams'
Dootone label. Foxx and Williams had a falling out around 1963, but Foxx was
legally tied to Dooto until Frank Sinatra bought his contract for Sinatra's Loma
label in 1967.

Geoff

RWC

May 20, 2016, 2:01:07 AM5/20/16
On Fri, 20 May 2016 12:31:19 +1000, RWC wrote:

>Recorded Sept 30, 1946 in Newark, NYC

An inattentive editing oversight, sorry.

s/b Recorded Sept 30, 1946 in Newark, NJ