+=Who's Got A Birthday Today? (DEC 3)=+

Roger Ford

Dec 3, 2015, 8:12:16 AM12/3/15
These are today's Birthday people....born December 3 in the years
mentioned

CONNEE BOSWELL (1907 Kansas City Mo)
Of the famous Boswell Sisters cited as influence by Ella Fitzgerald

RABON DELMORE (1910 Elkmont Al)
Of the C&W Delmore Brothers rcd for King Blues Stay Way From Me etc

FERLIN HUSKY (1925 Flat River Mo)
C&W star also rcd as Terry Preston,Simon Crum big hit Gone 1957

ANDY WILLIAMS (1928 Wall Lake Iw)
Pop singer much bigger in 60's biggest 50's hit Butterfly

JAYE P. MORGAN (1931 Mancos Co)
Pop songstress rcd RCA,Derby biggest hit Thats All I Want From You

NIK VENET (1936 Baltimore Md)
Producer/arranger worked with Bobby Darin,got Beach Boys on Capitol

JODY REYNOLDS (1938 Denver Co)
Rcd for Demon huge 1958 hit with haunting Endless Sleep

....and here's a guy who said his last goodbye to us this day......

GRADY MARTIN (2001 Lewisburg Tn)
Famous session gtr rcd Decca with Slew Foot Five backed tons big names

EVENTS OF THE DAY

DECEMBER 3 1944

Frank Sinatra is in the Columbia Records studio this day recording his
version of "Ol' Man River"

DECEMBER 3 1949

New on the Billboard best selling pop chart are "Mule Train" Tennessee
Ernie Ford,"I Wanna Go Home" Perry Como/Fontane Sisters,"Dear
Hearts And Gentle People" Bing Crosby,"Fool's Paradise" Billy Eckstine
and "Saturday Night Fish Fry". Gene Autry's perennial seasonal hit
"Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer" also re-enters the chart this day.
New on the R&B chart are "Homesick Blues" Charles Brown,"Boogie At
Midnight" Roy Brown,"Crawling King Snake Blues" John Lee Hooker,
"Don't Put Me Down" Joe Liggins and "Lonesome Cabin Blues" Mercy
Dee.New on the Folk (c&w) chart are "Blues Stay Away From Me" Owen
Bradley Quintet and "But I'll Go Chasin' Women" Stuart Hamblen

DECEMBER 3 1951

Rosco Gordon has another session for Sam Phillips at 706 Union Ave
Memphis Tennessee this day. "Gonna Let You Out","That's Against The
Rule" and "Tell Daddy Baby" go unissued but "Two Kinds Of Women"
sees release as RPM 365. This session was recorded for Chess but the
masters were not despatched pending the outcome of legal wrangling
surrounding Gordon. The titles were later offered to RPM/Modern.
Personnel : Eosco Gordon (vcl/pno);Johnny Murry Daley (dms) Willie
Wilkes (sax);Willie Sims (sax)

DECEMBER 3 1952

Hank Williams does an off the cuff "non-Session" recording in
Nashville this day of "The Log Train" that first appears on the Time-
Life LP TLCW-01/3 "Country & Western Classics" in 1981.The MGM
master number was assigned in Nashville in 1954.

DECEMBER 3 1953

The show "Kismet" that will spawn the huge hit "Stranger In Paradise"
opens this day on Broadway in New York City. The show will run for
583 performances.

DECEMBER 3 1955

Tennessee Ernie Ford and "Sixteen Tons" is the new #1 this day on the
Billboard Top 100 deposing "Love Is A Many Splendored Thing" Four
Aces. New on the chart are "Memories Are Made Of This" Dean Martin,
"Band Of Gold" Don Cherry,"The Japanese Farewell Song" Kay Cee
Jones,"Of This I'm Sure" Four Aces,"Goodbye To Rome" Georgia Gibbs
and "Love Is A Many Splendored Thing" Don Dick & Jimmy.New on the
C&W chart are "Eat Drink And Be Merry" Porter Wagoner and "You're Free
To Go" Carl Smith. New on the R&B chart are "Witchcraft" Spiders,
"Smokey Joe's Cafe" Robins and "When You Dance" Turbans.

Elvis Presley’s first release on RCA appears.The very first RCA single
actually comprises two sides that were purchased from Sam Phillips of
Sun Records and is in fact a reissue of Presley's last Sun single---
"Mystery Train"/"I Forgot to Remember to Forget".Elvis is described by
his new record company as 'The most talked about personality in
recorded music in the last 10 years'

DECEMBER 3 1957

Don Gibson waxes the single "Oh Lonesome Me"/"I Can't Stop Loving
You" (RCA 7133, late December), which will give him his first pop hit
(# 7, also # 1 C&W). "It Has To Be" will be included on the LP "That
Gibson Boy" (RCA LPM 2038, 1959) and "Tell It Like It Is" stays in the
can until 1982, when it appears on the LP "Rockin' Rollin' Don Gibson,
Vol. 2" (Bear Family BFX 15097).Personnel : Don Gibson (vocals/guitar)
Velma Smith (guitar ) ;Joe Zinkan (bass) ; Floyd Cramer (piano) The
Jordanaires (vocal chorus) ;Troy Hatcher (drums). Produced by Chet
Atkins at RCA Victor Studio in Nashville.

Glen Glenn records two songs at Garrison Studio in Long Beach,
California. "One Cup Of Coffee And A Cigarette" will come out on Era
1074 in June 1958. "Kathleen" is first issued on the Dutch LP "Rocking
From Hollywood To Groningen" (Dial LP-002) in 1977.Personnel : Gary
Lambert (guitar) ; Wynn Stewart (rhythm guitar) ;Johnny Mosby (bass) ;
Helen Peaches Price (drums) ; Jean Smith, Glenda Smith, Beverly
Stewart (vocal chorus).

The Jodimars do a 4-track session for Imperial in Hollywood. All the
tracks - "Hip Shakin' Baby", "Be My Love", "Honey Baby" and
"Bring Along Your Lovin'" - remain in the can until 1994 when they
are released on the Jodimars CD "Let's All Rock Together" (Rockstar
RSRCD 007, UK). Credit in the Imperial files goes to Marshall Lytle
and the Jodimars, though the other two Jodimars (Joey D'Ambrosia
and Dick Richards) were probably absent.Personnel : Marshall Lytle
(vocals) ; Joe Maphis (guitar) ; Gene Garf (piano) ; James Kirkland
(bass) ; Richie Frost (drums).Produced by Jimmie Haskell.

Perry Como records his big hit "Magic Moments" (# 4 US,# 1 UK) at
RCA Victor Studio A in New York City. It is a one-song session.The
reverse, "Catch A Falling Star", was recorded on October 9, 1957. Both
sides are arranged by Joe Reisman, produced by Joe Carlton and
accompanied by the Mitchell Ayres orchestra with the Ray Charles
Singers. Release on RCA 7128 at the end of the month.

The Platters commence three days of sessions. Recorded this day are
"Try A Little Tenderness", "My Old Flame", "Sleepy Time Gal" and
"Don't Blame Me which are all released on the LP "The Flying Platters
Around the World" in April 1958 (Mercury MG 20366) ; "My Old Flame"
is also issued as a 45 (Mercury 71320, May 1958).

Bill Justis plays "Raunchy" on "American Bandstand". Lee Andrews &
The Hearts also appear performing "Teardrops"

DECEMBER 3 1958

Sax man King Curtis cuts five tracks at the Atlantic studio in New
York City. "Chili"/"Castle Rock" is picked for the next single (Atco
6135, January 1959). The other three tracks remain in the vaults :
"King's Walk", "Jay Walk" (first version) and "Night Train". Personnel
: King Curtis (tenor sax/leader) ; poss.Noble 'Thin Man' Watts (second
sax) ; Herman Foster (piano) ; Al Casey (guitar) ; Jimmy Lewis (bass)
Belton Evans (drums).Produced by Nesuhi Ertegun.

The Skyliners record their first single, "Since I Don't Have You"/"One
Night, One Night" at Capitol Studios in New York,backed by no less
than eighteen musicians,including a string section,quite an innovation
for those times.The 45 is released on Calico 103,the day after Xmas
and will peak at # 12 on the Billboard Hot 100.Lead vocal by Jimmy
Beaumont.Produced by Joe Rock.

Buddy Holly (vocals / acoustic guitar) records the first of what has
become known as the "Apartment tapes" at Apartment 4H, The
Brevoort, 11 Fifth Avenue in New York City. On the 3rd he tapes
"What To Do" and "That's What They Say". Both are released on
the LP "The Buddy Holly Story, Vol. 2" (Coral CRL 57326) in March
1960 after being overdubbed.Jack Hansen was the overdub
producer.Overdubbing at Coral Studio A in New York City..

The Tornados guest on "American Bandstand" (note ; this is an
American vocal group and not,of course either the later British
"Telstar" guys nor the Californian "Bustin' Surfboards" group of that
name)

DECEMBER 3 1959

Willie Dixon cuts his first LP, "Willie's Blues", at Rudy Van Gelder's
studio in Englewood Cliffs, NJ.Released on Prestige's Bluesville label
(LP 1003) in March 1960.Tracks : "Nervous","Good Understanding",
"That's My Baby", "Slim's Thing" (instrumental), "That's All I Want
Baby", "Don't You Tell Nobody","Youth To You", "Sittin' And Cryin' the
Blues", "Built For Comfort", "I Got A Razor", "Go Easy" (instrumental)
and "Move Me".Personnel : Willie Dixon (vocals / bass) ; Wally
Richardson (guitar) ;Harold Ashby (tenor sax) ; Memphis Slim (piano) ;
Gus Johnson (drums).Supervised by Esmond Edwards.

Final Mercury session for Ben Hewitt in New York City. Six tracks are
laid down, but only "My Search"/"I Want A New Girl Now" has been
released (Mercury 71577, February 1960). The unissued songs are :
"Teardrops From My Heart", "Because I Love You", "The Story Of
Mandy Lee" and "My Little Sandra".Background vocals by the Cookies,
more personnel details unknown.Arranged and conducted by Belford
Hendricks. Produced by Clyde Otis.

The Drifters guest on "American Bandstand" singing "Dance With Me"
and "(If You Cry) True Love,True Love"

DECEMBER 3 1960

Buck Owens is at the Capitol Tower in Hollywood where he cuts four
songs."Foolin' Around"/"High As The Mountain" becomes his next single
(Capitol 4496,January 2,1961). Both sides will make the country chart
peaking at # 2 and # 27 respectively."Think It Over" will be included
on the LP "Buck Owens Sings Harlan Howard" (Capitol ST1482) in August
1961 and his first version of "Nobody's Fool But Yours" on the various
artists album "Country Hits By Country Stars" (Capitol ST1912) in 1963
Personnel : Buck Owens (vocals / guitar) ; Ralph Mooney (steel guitar)
Al Williams (bass); George French (piano) Jelly Sanders (fiddle) ;Pee
Wee Adams (drums).Produced by Ken Nelson.

"Camelot" opens at the Majestic Theatre in New York City this day.
Richard Burton and Julie Andrews play the leading roles in the musical
written by Lerner and Loewe. Robert Goulet also gets rave reviews.
The show will have a run of 873 performances

DECEMBER 3 1961

Connie Francis guests on "The Ed Sullivan Show".Mike Clifford and Earl
Grant also appear

Saxophonist Red Prysock records five tracks in Cincinnati all released
as singles : "Hand Clapping One More Time"/"Smokestack" (King 5595,
January 1962), "Quick As A Flash"/"Old Folks" (King 5644, June 1962),
"Can't Sit Down, Part 1" (King 5704, February 1963)

The Beatles meet future manager Brian Epstein for the first time, at
his Liverpool record store

DECEMBER 3 1962

Bobby Darin records his second Capitol single, "You're The Reason I'm
Living"/"Now You're Gone" (Capitol 4897, December 31).A # 3 hit. Also
laid down is "If You Were The Only Girl In the World",which has never
been issued.Arranged and conducted by Jimmie Haskell. Produced by Nick
Venet at the Capitol Tower in Hollywood

The Impressions guest on "American Bandstand" and sing "Gypsy
Woman"

DECEMBER 3 1968

Elvis Presley's "comeback" TV special "Elvis" airs this night on NBC

DECEMBER 3 1991

DJ Alan Freed gets a posthumous star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame

Acknowledgement for recording session info used goes to Dik de Heer's
"In The Can" website. For more info see

http://members.home.nl/henk.gorter/Itcindex.html

ROGER FORD

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk).