Complete list of tenors who have sung Otello?

Descartes

Aug 29, 2002, 8:55:32 PM8/29/02
It can't be a very long list.

D.

HenryFogel

Aug 29, 2002, 10:13:33 PM8/29/02
>Subject: Complete list of tenors who have sung Otello?
>From: Descartes cog...@ergo.com
>Date: 8/29/2002 7:55 PM Central Daylight Time

>It can't be a very long list.
>
>D.

I don't know your definition of "very long," but it would be quite substantial
by my standards. I can think, without doing a lot of research, of the
following:

Tamagno
Zenatello
Martinelli
Pertile
Del Monaco
Domingo
McCracken
Vickers
Uzinov
Guichandaut
Vinay
Giacomini
Ralf
Cossuta
Pavarotti (sort of, once)
Craig
Fusati
Murgu
Martinucci
(I won't count Bergonzi, who sang it at a dress rehearsal only)
Alvarez

I won't even begin to pretend that this is anywhere near a complete list -- I
imagine others will add many names to it.

Henry Fogel

Leonard Tillman

Aug 29, 2002, 11:24:15 PM8/29/02
A few more Otellos (Otelli?):

Cassilly
Sooter
Slezak
Melchior
Lauri-Volpi
Merli
Rosvaenge(ugh!)
Svanholm
di Stefano (once, for better or worse))
Miranda-Ferrero
King
Chauvet
Atlantov
Mauro
Bonisolli(!)
Pavarotti (once, in a concert-version)

LT
"Truth, though scarce, often seems to be in greater supply than demand."
-- Henry Wheeler Shaw, aka "Josh Billings", 19th Century American
humorist and very astute person.

Siegfried Pinkerton

Aug 30, 2002, 12:08:40 AM8/30/02
HenryFogel <henry...@aol.com> wrote:

> Alvarez

Is that Marcelo Alvarez ???

Edward A. Cowan

Aug 30, 2002, 12:14:04 AM8/30/02
The booklet with the Metropolitan Opera's issued recording of the
broadcast of _Otello_ on Feb.24, 1940 (MET-4, LP) includes, in a list of
tenors who sang the role of Otello at the Met:

Jean de Reszke
Albert Alverez
Leo Slezak
Arthur Carron
Set Svanholm
Dimiter Uzunov
Arturo Sergi

(Others not named here are included in your list.)

I have heard Del Monaco, McCracken, Vickers, Uzunov, and Ermanno Mauro
in the role. --E.A.C.

HenryFogel <henry...@aol.com> wrote:

--E.A.C.

Premiereopera

Aug 30, 2002, 12:21:17 AM8/30/02
>Dimiter Uzunov
>Arturo Sergi

I had the dubious (sorry, Dubi) pleasure of seeing these two. I only went to
see Tebaldi and Milanov, and perhaps in small part to get a brief respite form
McCracken, whose voice I could never stand.

By the time the two above mentioned were finished with their performances, I
longed for McCracken.

Ed
http://www.premiereopera.com for the best in opera on VIDEO, CD, CD-ROM

Descartes

Aug 30, 2002, 12:36:18 AM8/30/02
Here are a few Otellos I've come across--some of them are
quite surprising:

Lauritz Melchoir
Renato Zanelli
Mario Lanza recorded the final scene, and just before his death he signed a
contract with La Scala to perform Otello
Jon Vickers
Jean de Reszke 1850-1925
Ben Heppner (at the Chicago Lyric Opera)
Jose Cura
Albert Da Costa
Lauri-Volpi
Giuseppe di Stefano

These tenors probably all sung Otello, but from the
scanty information extant, it is possible some of
them may have sung the role of Cassio instead.

Giovanni Breviario
Fausto Castellani
Umberto Borso
Giovanni Breviario
Alberto Caffetto
Ottavio Frossini
Alberto Caffetto
Franco Corbetta
Leopoldo Dalgradi
Antonio Fassino
Edourdo Ferarri-Fontana
Ferrauto
Renato Francesconi
Eugenio Galli
Renato Gigli (yes, Renato)

Here are some tenors who COULD have sung Otello. They all certainly
had the vocal prowess. The question is: did they ever?

Svet Svanholm 1906-1964
Ludwig Suthaus 1906-1971
Oreste Kirkop 1923-1998
Wolfgang Windgassen 1914-1974
Hans Hopf 1916-1993
Franz Voelker 1899-1965
Max Lorenz 1901-1973
Jacques Urlus 1867-1935
Walter Widdop 1892-1949
Rudolf Laubenthal 1886-1973

Questions: Did Caruso have any intention before he died unexpectedly
of singing Otello in his late 40s or 50s? Could he have coped with the demands
of the role, with what we know of his voice? How about Corelli? He never sang
Otello, but he probably could have handled it. Did his nerves get the better of
him? And finally, has their ever been a Black Otello in a major opera
house--like Paul Robeson and Laurence Fishburn in Shakespeare?

D.

Karen Mercedes

Aug 30, 2002, 1:23:53 PM8/30/02
On 30 Aug 2002, HenryFogel wrote:

> Tamagno
> Zenatello
> Martinelli
> Pertile
> Del Monaco
> Domingo
> McCracken
> Vickers
> Uzinov
> Guichandaut
> Vinay
> Giacomini
> Ralf
> Cossuta
> Pavarotti (sort of, once)
> Craig
> Fusati
> Murgu
> Martinucci
> (I won't count Bergonzi, who sang it at a dress rehearsal only)
> Alvarez
>
> I won't even begin to pretend that this is anywhere near a complete list -- I
> imagine others will add many names to it.

Need to add:

Vladimir Atlantov
Franz Voelker
Renato Zanelli
Vladimir Galouzine
Ben Heppner
Andrea Toscani
Francesco Marconi
Jacques Urlus
Peter Anders
Vasily Spitchko
Kai Konrad
Dennis O'Neill
Alan Glassman
Jose Cura
Frank Porretta
Graham Sanders
Jon Frederic West
Antonio Barasorda
Raimo Sirkia
Garry Grice
Carlo Torrani
Howard Haskin
Virgilijus Noreika
Renato Francesconi
Lauritz Melchior
Nicolae Busuioc
Pekka Nuotio
Ian DeNolfo
Gaby Sadeh
Mihail Davidoff
Brad Cresswell
Barton McGuckin
Vladimir Bogachov
Stephen O'Mara
George Gray
Max Lorenz
Nicholas Buxton
Yuri Marusin
Andrej Lantsov
Stefano Algieri
Otoniel Gonzaga
David Rendall
Wolfgang Windgassen
Pier Miranda Ferrara
Hans Beirer

Others?

Georges Thill only recorded the role.

Sergei Larin is scheduled to sing his first Otello in San Diego in April
2003. Richard Margison will sing his first in Australia next year as well.

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
________________________________
I want to know God's thoughts...
the rest are details.
- Albert Einstein

Martin

Aug 30, 2002, 1:45:34 PM8/30/02
[This followup was posted to rec.music.opera and a copy was sent to
the cited author.]

In article <sdstmu8hhqk5pi4sn...@4ax.com>,
cog...@ergo.com says...

> Here are some tenors who COULD have sung Otello. They all certainly
> had the vocal prowess. The question is: did they ever?
>
> Svet Svanholm 1906-1964
> Ludwig Suthaus 1906-1971
> Oreste Kirkop 1923-1998
> Wolfgang Windgassen 1914-1974
> Hans Hopf 1916-1993
> Franz Voelker 1899-1965
> Max Lorenz 1901-1973
> Jacques Urlus 1867-1935
> Walter Widdop 1892-1949
> Rudolf Laubenthal 1886-1973

Svanholm, Suthaus, Windgassen, Hopf, Voelker, Lorenz and Urlus - they
did

Descartes

Aug 30, 2002, 1:52:29 PM8/30/02
Whew, Karen. That is quite a list!
OK. Who was the BEST Otello? All
together now. One...two.....three.......
Mari...............................

D.

gerberk

Aug 30, 2002, 2:08:10 PM8/30/02
afraid of smart women Descartes?

Martin

Aug 30, 2002, 2:51:36 PM8/30/02
[This followup was posted to rec.music.opera and a copy was sent to
the cited author.]

In article <Pine.GSO.4.43.0208301128050.4625-100000
@saltmine.radix.net>, dal...@radix.net says...

> Others?

yes

Franz
Merli
O'Sullivan
Paoli
Sergi
Stavru
Treptow

more to come...

Mike Richter

Aug 30, 2002, 3:01:07 PM8/30/02

A couple of great Otellos are still missing, I believe:

Manuel Salazar
Leo Slezak

Mike
--
mric...@cpl.net
http://www.mrichter.com/

benjo maso

Aug 30, 2002, 3:34:05 PM8/30/02

"Martin" <mar...@uk2.net> wrote in message

Desiré Pauwels
Jules Moes
Chris de Vos
Hugh Beresford
Frederico Morello
Nicola Zerola
Tullio Verona
Giovanni Brevirario
Pedro Mirassau
Vittorio Fullin
Wilhelm Ernest
Charles Holland
Len del Ferro
Pier Mirando Ferraro
Dimiter Damianov

What they had in common is that they sang Otello in Holland (the first three
in Dutch).

Two Dutchman who sung Otello, but never in Holland are

Hans Kaart
Jan Derksen

Benjo Maso

TheDivo

Aug 30, 2002, 4:06:08 PM8/30/02
Edward Perretti sang Otello with The New York Grand Opera last summer.

Descartes

Aug 30, 2002, 4:25:00 PM8/30/02
Ken. B. Lane displays on the web a drawing of
himself as Otello. But I have no idea whether
he actually ever sang the role in an opera
performance.

D.

Karen Mercedes

Aug 30, 2002, 4:30:40 PM8/30/02
to Descartes
On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, Descartes wrote:

> Whew, Karen. That is quite a list!
> OK. Who was the BEST Otello? All
> together now. One...two.....three.......

> Marti...............................

...nelli!

Tom Kaufman

Aug 30, 2002, 4:56:28 PM8/30/02
Who were the best Otellos?

Tamagno
Paoli
O'Sullivan
Del Monaco
Zanelli
Zenatello

Tom
Tom Kaufman
URL of web site:
<A href="www.geocities.com/Vienna/8917/index.html">Tom Kaufman's site</A>

Commspkmn

Aug 30, 2002, 5:27:22 PM8/30/02
Paolo Silveri

benjo maso

Aug 30, 2002, 4:56:56 PM8/30/02
I forgot José Carreras. In Rossini's Otello of course :-)

Benjo Maso

Leonard Tillman

Aug 30, 2002, 8:10:04 PM8/30/02
From: comm...@aol.com (Commspkmn)
>Paolo Silveri

A baritone, but he did sing Otello at least once, and parts of the
performance may have been recorded by RAI,

Mike Richter

Aug 30, 2002, 10:45:58 PM8/30/02
Tom Kaufman wrote:

> Who were the best Otellos?
>
> Tamagno
> Paoli
> O'Sullivan
> Del Monaco
> Zanelli
> Zenatello

Tom, I don't mean to challenge a devout Tenormaniac, but that short list
must include Slezak and Salazar. We have more extensive records of both
than of O'Sullivan and Tamagno and I could not fault any of them in the
role.

David7Gable

Aug 30, 2002, 11:03:17 PM8/30/02
>Wolfgang Windgassen 1914-1974

Windgassen sang Otello in a Wieland Wagner production with Anja Silja as
Desdemona. Thomas Stewart may have been Iago.

-david gable

Andre Storfer

Aug 30, 2002, 11:15:06 PM8/30/02
Perhaps The TenorMaven honors Tamagno as first, because he was _first_ .
AES

Edward A. Cowan

Aug 30, 2002, 11:33:09 PM8/30/02
Commspkmn <comm...@aol.com> wrote:

> Paolo Silveri

Thanks for mentioning him! I recall having read that Silveri also sang
Boris Godunov! Has anyone else accomplished the feat of singing those
two particular roles in one career?

FWIW, I missed hearing Ramón Vinay in the role of Otello, save on
recordings. But I did catch a couple of performances by him in his late
baritone period. (There was also an early baritone period...) I heard
him as Iago in _Otello_ opposite Mario del Monaco. And I heard him as
Kurwenal in _Tristan_ in Philadelphia. I can recall that the Isolde was
soprano Hannelore Kuhse, but I cannot recall the tenor who sang
Tristan...

(FWIW, Vinay spent his last days operating a farm near Arlington TX,
where I live. One of my colleagues ran into him in an electronics store
several years ago. I retain the page of the telephone book on which his
name and number were listed...)

--E.A.C.

Dr. Speedbyrd:>

Aug 31, 2002, 1:18:10 AM8/31/02

Perhaps Le Scum Storfer should piss off back to the Broinx!

Dr. SpeedbyrdŽ
Hallowed be my name....

Mark D Lew

Aug 31, 2002, 4:03:49 AM8/31/02
In article <uigtmu0ae2voo23jn...@4ax.com>, Descartes
<cog...@ergo.com> wrote:

> It can't be a very long list.

Of course it's a long list. It's only short if you hold to the silly idea
that only the fifty or so largest opera companies count.

I've heard four Otellos in local productions: Frederick Winthrop, Richard
Liszt, Lawrence Harris, and Brian Kerns.

mdl

Aage Johansen

Aug 31, 2002, 8:20:44 AM8/31/02

In Oslo, I've heard Osvaldo di Pianduni (1989), Raimo Sirkiä (1997) and
others (even) less known. Frederic Kalt sang it Oslo (1997).

Regards,
Aage J.

Leonard Tillman

Aug 31, 2002, 9:19:20 AM8/31/02
Each must have sung *both* roles, to qualify:

Domingo
Pavarotti
di Stefano
Carreras (if we may count Rossini's Otello)
Anders (did he sing Nemorino?)
Bergonzi (I'd count his dress-rehearsal
performance)

Any others? (Caruso probably would have sung Otello had he lived
longer, - and thereby have been the best candidate for this particular
list.)

Leonard Tillman

benjo maso

Aug 31, 2002, 9:40:11 AM8/31/02

"Leonard Tillman" <tapef...@webtv.net> wrote in message

> Each must have sung *both* roles, to qualify:
>
> Domingo
> Pavarotti
> di Stefano
> Carreras (if we may count Rossini's Otello)
> Anders (did he sing Nemorino?)

Yes, he did.

> Bergonzi (I'd count

Lauri-Volpi
Jadlowker
Pertile

Benjo Maso

HenryFogel

Aug 31, 2002, 11:08:00 AM8/31/02
>Subject: Complete list of tenors who have sung Otello - AND Nemorino?
>From: tapef...@webtv.net (Leonard Tillman)
>Date: 8/31/2002 8:20 AM Central Daylight Time

>Each must have sung *both* roles, to qualify:
>
>Domingo
>Pavarotti
>di Stefano
>Carreras (if we may count Rossini's Otello)
>Anders (did he sing Nemorino?)
>Bergonzi (I'd count
>
>LT

Which means that if you count only Verdi's Otello, and if you count serious
multiple performances of both roles, you have to eliminate Bergonzi (one dress
rehearsal), Pavarotti (a single set of concert performances of Otello, not very
successful), Carreras, and possibly Anders.
Henry Fogel

Leonard Tillman

Aug 31, 2002, 11:47:56 AM8/31/02
"Each must have sung *both* roles, to qualify:

Domingo
Pavarotti
di Stefano
Carreras (if we may count Rossini's Otello) Anders (did he sing
Nemorino?)
Bergonzi (I'd count
LT"

(Above post was accidently sent, but followed with its slightly more
complete form.)
--------------------

>Which means that if you count only Verdi's
> Otello, and if you count serious multiple
> performances of both roles, you have to
> eliminate Bergonzi (one dress rehearsal),

Bergonzi performed L'Elisir in Italy, at least twice, and I *would*
count his single Otello dress rehearsal, so he'd still be an "entrant"
or "contender".

> Pavarotti (a single set of concert
> performances of Otello, not very successful),

Not ideal, but really not all that bad either, in London's CD set
of it.

> Carreras, and possibly Anders.

Another poster (Benjo Maso) has indicated Anders to qualify, -- and
added the names of
Lauri-Volpi, Jadlowker, and Pertile, so far.

(I'm "allowing" for having only single performances, - as opposed to
many, or numerous ones.)

>Henry Fogel

TheDivo

Aug 31, 2002, 12:38:06 PM8/31/02
> Bergonzi performed L'Elisir in Italy, at least twice,

Bergonzi performed L'Elisir at the Met in '66 and '72.

Commspkmn

Aug 31, 2002, 12:46:50 PM8/31/02
the...@aol.com wrote:
<< Bergonzi performed L'Elisir at the Met in '66 and '72.>>

And later as well. I saw him there in the role sometime in the late 80s, I
believe.
He also sang it later in Baltimore. Then, it was touted as his North American
operatic farewell, although the subsequent Otello changed that.
Ken Meltzer

Commspkmn

Aug 31, 2002, 12:49:19 PM8/31/02
<< Each must have sung *both* roles, to qualify:

Domingo
Pavarotti
di Stefano
Carreras (if we may count Rossini's Otello) >>

Why would we do that? Isn't the point here that it is highly unusual for
singers to be able to perform both a lighter, lyric role, and one of the most
demanding dramatic roles in all of Italian opera?
Which is not to say that Rossini's Otello is a light, lyric role-far from
it-but it requires quite a different voice and technique from the later Verdi.
Ken Meltzer

HenryFogel

Aug 31, 2002, 1:04:38 PM8/31/02
>Subject: Re: Complete list of tenors who have sung Otello - AND Nemorino?
>From: tapef...@webtv.net (Leonard Tillman)
>Date: 8/31/2002 10:47 AM Central Daylight Time

>"Each must have sung *both* roles, to qualify:
>
>Domingo
>Pavarotti
>di Stefano
>Carreras (if we may count Rossini's Otello) Anders (did he sing
>Nemorino?)
>Bergonzi (I'd count
>LT"
>
> (Above post was accidently sent, but followed with its slightly more
>complete form.)
> --------------------
>>Which means that if you count only Verdi's
>> Otello, and if you count serious multiple
>> performances of both roles, you have to
>> eliminate Bergonzi (one dress rehearsal),
>
> Bergonzi performed L'Elisir in Italy, at least twice, and I *would*
>count his single Otello dress rehearsal, so he'd still be an "entrant"
>or "contender".

Bergonzi sang L'Elisir at the Met too, and elsewhere; it was one of his great
roles.

>> Pavarotti (a single set of concert
>> performances of Otello, not very successful),
>
> Not ideal, but really not all that bad either, in London's CD set
>of it.

No one performance was as good as the London set, which was compiled from
multiple performance and patch session tapes.

>> Carreras, and possibly Anders.
>
> Another poster (Benjo Maso) has indicated Anders to qualify, -- and
>added the names of
>Lauri-Volpi, Jadlowker, and Pertile, so far.
>
> (I'm "allowing" for having only single performances, - as opposed to
>many, or numerous ones.)
>
>>Henry Fogel
>
>LT

Henry Fogel

NA

Aug 31, 2002, 1:39:09 PM8/31/02
I'm adding myself to the list

I have sung "Una Furtiva Lagrima" and extensive experpts from Otello as both
Otello AND Iago on many many occassions. Probably thousands

So, if you care to count transposed, incomplete performances in the shower,
then I too should be on the list

Leonard Tillman <tapef...@webtv.net> wrote in message

Leonard Tillman

Aug 31, 2002, 4:02:11 PM8/31/02
Ken Meltzer wrote:

>Why would we do that? Isn't the point here
> that it is highly unusual for singers to be able
> to perform both a lighter, lyric role, and one of
> the most demanding dramatic roles in all of
> Italian opera?

Yes, it is. The rarity of such versatile tenors is what I implied in the
subject-line of my first post. It failed to initially reach some
servers:

"Subject: *A little trickier*: List of tenors who have sung Otello - AND
Nemorino.
Group: rec.music.opera Date: Sat, Aug 31, 2002, 9:19am From:
tapef...@webtv.net (Leonard Tillman) "

> Which is not to say that Rossini's Otello is a
> light, lyric role-far from it-but it requires quite a
> different voice and technique from the later
> Verdi.

And is therefore not a heroic/dramatic role. I did not intend it
for serious inclusion, - mentioning it only because it is also an
"Otello".

> Ken Meltzer

Edward A. Cowan

Aug 31, 2002, 5:26:25 PM8/31/02
TheDivo <the...@aol.com> wrote:

> Bergonzi performed L'Elisir at the Met in '66 and '72.

And I heard him sing that opera in Philadelphia some time between 1966
and 1971...

--E.A.C.

Mark D Lew

Aug 31, 2002, 8:43:36 PM8/31/02
In article <3D70AAAC...@offline.no>, Aage Johansen
<aagj...@offline.no> wrote:

> In Oslo, I've heard Osvaldo di Pianduni (1989), Raimo Sirkiä (1997) and
> others (even) less known. Frederic Kalt sang it Oslo (1997).

My fifth opera, as a member of the chorus, was a Trovatore in Anchorage,
Alaska, in 1986. The Ruiz in that production was young tenor named Fred
Kalt. I wonder if it's the same person.

mdl

Aage Johansen

Sep 1, 2002, 9:52:50 AM9/1/02

No idea. Frederic Kalt was scheduled to sing, but at the performance I
attended he was replaced by Sirkiä. I believe Kalt did Otello several
times.

Later: I've dug up the program notes. It says:
Frederic Kalt (USA) got his education with Gloria Marinacci Allen in
Anchorage, Alaska.
(followed by some more biographical notes, e.g. debut as Faust at NYCO)

Regards,
Aage J.

Mark D Lew

Sep 1, 2002, 4:37:34 PM9/1/02
In article <3D721B97...@offline.no>, Aage Johansen
<aagj...@offline.no> wrote:

Yep, that's definitely him. Now that you mention it, I do remember that he
was Gloria's student.

mdl

acar...@alaska.net

Sep 2, 2002, 12:45:20 AM9/2/02
I don't know whether the names Jon Fredric West and Timothy Mussard
appear on your lists; these two will replace Ben Heppner in the
upcoming San Francisco Opera production of Otello. Patricia Racette
is still listed as Desdemona.

Mark D Lew

Sep 2, 2002, 4:36:41 AM9/2/02
In article <eea9d166.02090...@posting.google.com>,
acar...@alaska.net (acar...@alaska.net) wrote:

Ah, I remember Tim Mussard well! My first year (1983?) in the chorus in
Anchorage was the one when he was a resident artist, singing Silvio in
Pagliacci and Piquillo in Perichole. He was singing baritone in those days,
though I don't think anyone was surprised when he moved on to tenor. I've
seen his name in several programs at Seattle, but I never actually heard
him perform.

mdl

Karen Mercedes

Sep 3, 2002, 11:20:49 AM9/3/02
to Leonard Tillman
On Sat, 31 Aug 2002, Leonard Tillman wrote:

> Each must have sung *both* roles, to qualify:
>
> Domingo
> Pavarotti
> di Stefano
> Carreras (if we may count Rossini's Otello)
> Anders (did he sing Nemorino?)
> Bergonzi (I'd count

Yuri Marusin of the Mariinsky Opera has sung Nemorino, and is preparing
Otello for future performance.

Bernard Villalobos has performed both roles - Nemorino fully staged,
Otello in concert.

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
________________________________
I want to know God's thoughts...
the rest are details.
- Albert Einstein

Leonard Tillman

Sep 3, 2002, 12:48:33 PM9/3/02
From: dal...@radix.net (Karen Mercedes)

-----------------------

>Yuri Marusin of the Mariinsky Opera has sung
> Nemorino, and is preparing Otello for future
> performance.

>Bernard Villalobos has performed both roles -
> Nemorino fully staged, Otello in concert.

>Karen Mercedes
>http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html

So, .... such versatility may be more common than previously
supposed*.

LT
* I accept the concert-version as a
legitimate performance, though some
may feel differently.

________________________________
>I want to know God's thoughts...
>the rest are details.

>                              -
Albert Einstein

That is so true, and seems so, the more
some of us stop to consider it.....the actual nature of the thoughts
probably won't be made clear, though, in the here and now....
- LT

Riuz Pineiro

Sep 3, 2002, 9:09:55 PM9/3/02
Karen Mercedes <dal...@radix.net> wrote in message news:<Pine.GSO.4.43.02090...@saltmine.radix.net>...

Thanks cunt

hec...@aol.com

Aug 29, 2016, 2:07:37 PM8/29/16
On Thursday, August 29, 2002 at 8:55:32 PM UTC-4, Descartes wrote:
> It can't be a very long list.
>
> D.

Paoli
Barasorda

hec...@aol.com

Aug 29, 2016, 2:08:09 PM8/29/16

gggg...@gmail.com

Sep 3, 2020, 4:38:28 PM9/3/20
On Thursday, August 29, 2002 at 7:13:33 PM UTC-7, Henry Fogel wrote:
> >Subject: Complete list of tenors who have sung Otello?
> >From: Descartes cog...@ergo.com
> >Date: 8/29/2002 7:55 PM Central Daylight Time
> >
> >It can't be a very long list.
> >
> >D.
>
> I don't know your definition of "very long," but it would be quite substantial
> by my standards. I can think, without doing a lot of research, of the
> following:
>
> Tamagno
> Zenatello
> Martinelli
> Pertile
> Del Monaco
> Domingo
> McCracken
> Vickers
> Uzinov
> Guichandaut
> Vinay

(Recent Youtube upload):

Sir Thomas Beecham Live: Verdi: Otello (Vinay, Tadei, Stella, Pasini & Negroni) R.04-07-1958