Where in the World is Margarita Castro-Alberti?

John Calendo

Jun 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/12/95
I had the incredible pleasure of being in the chorus for a 1981
performance of the Verdi "Requiem"; the soprano was Margarita
Castro-Alberti. I also had the pleasure some two years later of
hearing her Amelia in "Ballo".

I was sure this voice was going to be the next great "Dramatica
Lyico Spinto con agilita"(a self given title of Monserrat
Caballe).

I yearn to hear MC3(M.Callas#1, M.Caballe#2, M.Castro-Alberti#3)
again. Can someone please help me or give me a history of her
performances over the last 12 years?

PS: Margie, if your reading this my name at the time was Jim
Galdieri.

cal...@soho.ios.com
@@@ "O, brave new world... @@@
@@@ that has such people in it!" @@@

j...@ivory.trentu.ca

Jun 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/13/95
In article <3rg8mb$1...@ankh.iia.org>, John Calendo <cal...@soho.ios.com> writes:
>I had the incredible pleasure of being in the chorus for a 1981
>performance of the Verdi "Requiem"; the soprano was Margarita
>Castro-Alberti. I also had the pleasure some two years later of
>hearing her Amelia in "Ballo".
>
>I was sure this voice was going to be the next great "Dramatica
>Lyico Spinto con agilita"(a self given title of Monserrat
>Caballe).

I heard Castro-Alberty twice, once as Donna Anna at the Met in
1983, and as Leonora (Trovatore) three years later in Toronto. Having
bought her recital disc on Erato a year earlier, I was very much looking
forward to her Anna. But I was very disappointed. True, she had lovely
pianissimi, but she could not stay on pitch, and her coloratura was very
clumpsy, particularly her scale work in fast music. You could tell she had
pitch problems from the very beginning of her career. In the Erato
recital, her Willow Song and Ave Maria suffers from sagging intonation. By
the time she sang Leonora in Toronto, the voice was in complete tatters.
Truly dreadful singing, and even worse coloratura (I have a broadcast tape
to prove it...). She disappeared from sight very quickly after that.
About five years ago, she sang in the Casals Festival (sorry I don't
remember what). She may still be singing in her native Puerto Rico. I
can understand why you would be impressed with her Verdi Requiem. At its
best, the voice is pure and her piano singing can be lovely, but I think
she was undone by a faulty technique.

Joseph So
<J...@TRENTU.CA>

Steven Schnurman

Jun 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/13/95
I remember her. I went to school with her at Juilliard. She was in the
American Opera Center a year or two before me. She studied with Daniel Ferro,
I believe. I remember that she did Butterfly and a piece by Falla. She was
wonderful. She had an enormous voice.I don't know what she is doing now. I
hope she is well and that things have not deteriorated for her.

Steven

Steven Schnurman
email me!.......ste...@pluto.njcc.com
visit me!.......http://pluto.njcc.com/~steven/
~
0 0

\___/---La La La!

The Schnurman Voice Studio

Jorge Morales

Jun 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/13/95
I moved here to New York from Puerto Rico two years and a half ago, but I
can tell you I hadn't heard about Margarita Castro-Alberti singing anywhere
in a long long time. Damn shame, if you ask me.

jorge

HenryFogel

Jun 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/13/95
Sadly, the first respondent to this thread noted the reality - Ms.
Castro-Alberti's lovely voice was not matched by an ability to remain on
pitch, and there were a variety of technical problems in her production
that made this trait get worse and worse. Also, by the mid-1980s the top
hardened, so that she could sing beautiful pianissimi on high notes, but
the loud ones were hard and tended to be flat. As these problems
continued to develop, her career basically dried up, and I haven't heard
of her singing anything significant for the past seven years or so.

Henry Fogel

gabriel.al...@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2014, 2:31:44 AM7/31/14
So 19 years later I have an answer for you.

Margarita is teaching at the Music Department of the university of Puerto Rico