bjorling/callas

alkan

Nov 18, 2001, 10:37:58 PM11/18/01
Did they ever perform/record anything together?

alkan

HenryFogel

Nov 18, 2001, 10:53:07 PM11/18/01
>Subject: bjorling/callas
>From: "alkan" al...@home.com
>Date: 11/18/2001 9:37 PM Central Standard Time

>Did they ever perform/record anything together?
>
>alkan

Perform together? Yes. In Chicago.

No tapes exist, however - despite the fact that opera lovers have been
searching and praying for them for years.

Henry Fogel

Roger D. White

Nov 18, 2001, 11:35:07 PM11/18/01
A) What did they perform together in Chicago (or anywhere else)?

B) In light of the pairing of two such giants, doesn't it seem more
than a little odd that there is no recorded document made of this?

~ Roger

Mike Richter

Nov 19, 2001, 12:44:49 AM11/19/01
"Roger D. White" wrote:

> A) What did they perform together in Chicago (or anywhere else)?.

Il trovatore - and there was nowhere else. On any Callas question of
performance or recording, you're likely to find the answer in Frank
Hamilton's PDFs at
http://www.frankhamilton.org/

He's done the same for Corelli and di Stefano and is on his way with
Gobbi.

> B) In light of the pairing of two such giants, doesn't it seem more
> than a little odd that there is no recorded document made of this?

Not really. Bjoerling's rep did not extend to the bel canto (would that
it had) in the period when Callas was concentrating on it and their
principal 'homes' were different. There could have been recordings, but
Callas was an EMI artist for most of her career and Bjoerling recorded
principally for RCA.

Mike
--
mric...@cpl.net
http://www.mrichter.com/

Leonard Tillman

Nov 19, 2001, 12:15:44 AM11/19/01
From: ra...@webtv.net (Roger D. White)

>A) What did they perform together in Chicago
> (or anywhere else)?

I think they did Il Trovatore (after which Bjoerling reportedly
praised Callas as the best Leonora he'd sung with.)

>B) In light of the pairing of two such giants,
>doesn't it seem more than a little odd that
> there is no recorded document made of this?
>~ Roger

Yes, it does, -- but maybe, - someday - such a recording, unknown to us,
now, - will yet surface....

Best, LT -
"Use what talents you possess;
the woods would be very
silent if no birds sang there except those
that sang best". - Henry Van Dyke

REG

Nov 19, 2001, 1:35:04 AM11/19/01
I believe it is correct that there are no recorded performances from Callas'
two years in Chicago. If I recall correctly, and you can establish the
details through a previous thread on this topic, at least one Callas
performance was set up for recording as an air check, and then some
backstage worker, not knowing what it was, unplugged the recording device. I
don't know if this was - allegedly - the Butterfly or the Trovatore.

"Roger D. White" <ra...@webtv.net> wrote in message

Mike Richter

Nov 19, 2001, 4:37:11 AM11/19/01
REG wrote:

> I believe it is correct that there are no recorded performances from Callas'
> two years in Chicago. If I recall correctly, and you can establish the
> details through a previous thread on this topic, at least one Callas
> performance was set up for recording as an air check, and then some
> backstage worker, not knowing what it was, unplugged the recording device. I
> don't know if this was - allegedly - the Butterfly or the Trovatore.

It was the Trovatore.

StephenFieldNYC

Nov 19, 2001, 6:15:44 AM11/19/01
>It was the Trovatore.

It was also alleged that Bjorling had a pirate tape of the performance, but
there is nothing but rumor to back this up.

Bernard Gould

Nov 20, 2001, 7:30:46 AM11/20/01
The Lyric Theater Chicago [5 Nov 1955]
Callas,Stignani,Bjorling,Bastianini./Rescigno
and of Callas,Bjorling remarked "Her Leonora is perfection,I have heard the
role sung often,but never was there a better one than hers"
When interviewed about the existence of the Il trovatore
tape Callas didn't Know .

Bernard

alkan <al...@home.com> wrote in message

alkan

Nov 19, 2001, 9:04:54 AM11/19/01
Thank you all.

alkan

"Bernard Gould" <gm...@dial.pipex.com> wrote in message

OmbraRecds

Nov 19, 2001, 9:07:55 AM11/19/01
>>It was the Trovatore.
>
>It was also alleged that Bjorling had a pirate tape of the performance, but
>there is nothing but rumor to back this up.

There is also the rumor of a Callas Isolde, squirelled away by the heirs of the
tenor who partnered her in the production. There is also the matter of the
complete Turandot from Argentina that was supposedly stolen from the radio
archives, not the "fake" Questa Reggia that has been making the rounds for
years. Its' most recent incarnation is on the Archipel label.

Patrick Byrne

Don Paolo

Nov 19, 2001, 11:23:54 AM11/19/01
I'm afraid that this is on the "wish list" of most of us, along with the
Tucker-Callas Verona Gioconda......(and, the Corelli "lisp") - Non
Esiste!!!!!

DonPaolo
Leonard Tillman <tapef...@webtv.net> wrote in message

Marty Robinson

Nov 19, 2001, 1:12:52 PM11/19/01
Bjoerling and Callas sang together in the Lyric "Il Trovatore" on
November 5th and 8th, 1955, along with two other pretty good singers:
Bastianini (11/5) and Stignani (11/5).

Claudia Cassidy later wrote:

"Bjoerling's voice had a piercing sweetness, and yet a veil of mystery
that shared Lauritz Melchior's gift for invoking legend. His debut
Trovatore was with Callas, Batianini and Ebe Stignani. His voice, for
all its tenderness, flashed like a drawn sword. There are afficionados
who claim that the crest of Callas' song was that heartstruck threnody
in the dusk of grief, 'D'amor sull' ali rosee." That was when Bing came,
contract in hand, and she smiled like a cat feasting on canaries. It
turned out badly, but how was she to know?"

I have a wonderful candid photograph, taken (I believe) at the Rush
Street club called "Singers' Rendezvous," which shows, seated at a
post-prandial table, Anna-Lise Bjoerling, Jussi, Callas, Bing, and
Giuseppe di Stefano.

Marty Robinson

Mike Richter

Nov 19, 2001, 1:51:05 PM11/19/01

There is also a published assertion that a "Mike Richter" recorded a
Bjoerling Trovatore in 1939. It's hard to prove a negative, so every so
often I have to assure a correspondent that I didn't do it and know
nothing about it.

Mike Richter

Nov 19, 2001, 1:55:03 PM11/19/01
OmbraRecds wrote:

> >>It was the Trovatore.
> >
> >It was also alleged that Bjorling had a pirate tape of the performance, but
> >there is nothing but rumor to back this up.
>
> There is also the rumor of a Callas Isolde, squirelled away by the heirs of the
> tenor who partnered her in the production.

It is more than a rumor but much less than available. John Ardoin told
me he had seen the tape at the home of Max Lorenz's widow.
Unfortunately, that does not mean that it is or will be circulated or
even that it's still playable.

Danny Sharples

Nov 19, 2001, 3:51:39 PM11/19/01

"alkan" <al...@home.com> wrote in message
> Did they ever perform/record anything together?
>
> alkan
>
> There was a Il Trovatore performance given and reportedly recorded
(privately)
on the 08/11/1955 at the Civic Opera House Chicago.

The cast was

Maria Callas Leonora
Eunice Alberts Ines
Claramae Turner Azucena
Jussi Bjorling Manrico
Mariano Caruso Ruiz
Robert Weede Di Luna
William Wilderman Ferrando
Jonas Vaznelis Gypsy
Lyric Theater Orchestra and Chorus conducted by Nicola Rescigno

However!! There were rumours that a collector named William V. Arneth had a
taped recording of this performance, which I doubt. Also many Callas and
Bjorling devotees have not unearthed this recording
and after so long I would doubt if it did ever surface or in fact exist.

Good Hunting

Danny

da...@sharples85.fsnet.co.uk

Matthew B. Tepper

Nov 19, 2001, 3:47:34 PM11/19/01
Marty Robinson <mart...@home.com> wrote in

> I have a wonderful candid photograph, taken (I believe) at the Rush
> Street club called "Singers' Rendezvous," which shows, seated at a
> post-prandial table, Anna-Lise Bjoerling, Jussi, Callas, Bing, and
> Giuseppe di Stefano.

There's another tenor I'd like to see at a post-prandial table: Giacinto
Prandelli.

Top 3 worst UK exports: Mad-cow; Foot-and-mouth; Charlotte Church

David Melnick

Nov 19, 2001, 4:24:31 PM11/19/01

Marty Robinson wrote:

> Claudia Cassidy later wrote:
>
> "Bjoerling's voice had a piercing sweetness, and yet a veil of mystery
> that shared Lauritz Melchior's gift for invoking legend. His debut
> Trovatore was with Callas, Batianini and Ebe Stignani. His voice, for
> all its tenderness, flashed like a drawn sword.

That last sentence of Cassidy's is so fine! Umm, for an eagle-shooter, that is.

David

OmbraRecds

Nov 19, 2001, 6:06:38 PM11/19/01
>John Ardoin told
>me he had seen the tape at the home of Max Lorenz's widow.
>Unfortunately, that does not mean that it is or will be circulated or
>even that it's still playable.>Mike

Mike, where is the Widow Lorenz located? I know an excellent "second story"
man!

Patrick Byrne

OmbraRecds

Nov 19, 2001, 6:10:51 PM11/19/01
Marty, any chance of getting a copy of the Callas/Bjoerling picture? We are
about to publish a Callas book and it could make a very nice addition to our
gallery.

Patrick Byrne

REG

Nov 19, 2001, 9:26:29 PM11/19/01
I'm shocked that he has a widow....

"OmbraRecds" <ombra...@aol.com> wrote in message

REG

Nov 19, 2001, 9:28:55 PM11/19/01
My favorite Cassidy line was,on his debut:

Outside is was snowing, but inside it was Hotter

They don't make em like that anymore. But then the eagles are flying a lot
lower, too

"David Melnick" <dmel...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

Matthew B. Tepper

Nov 19, 2001, 10:16:14 PM11/19/01
"Danny Sharples" <da...@sharples85.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in

> The cast was
>
> Maria Callas Leonora
> Eunice Alberts Ines
> Claramae Turner Azucena
> Jussi Bjorling Manrico
> Mariano Caruso Ruiz
> Robert Weede Di Luna
> William Wilderman Ferrando
> Jonas Vaznelis Gypsy
> Lyric Theater Orchestra and Chorus conducted by Nicola Rescigno

Wow! Robert Weede!

Mike Richter

Nov 20, 2001, 12:51:11 AM11/20/01
REG wrote:

> I'm shocked that he has a widow....

1. Marriages of convenience or even of genuine affection do not depend
on sexual preference.

2. I have no idea whether Frau Lorenz is still alive.

REG

Nov 20, 2001, 4:45:34 AM11/20/01
I know, I know. All the same, it was a surprise....
"Mike Richter" <mric...@cpl.net> wrote in message

MD

Nov 20, 2001, 1:09:42 PM11/20/01
Robert Weede was an excellent baritone, who had the bad misfortune of singing at the Met when they had Tibbett, John Charles Thomas, Warren and Merrill.  He would be the leading baritone of the Met in any other era.

--
THE VOCAL RESOURCE:
http://www.ups.edu/faculty/mdelos/vocal.htm

HOMEPAGE:
http://www.halcyon.com/nwac/

GRNDPADAVE

Nov 20, 2001, 1:55:45 PM11/20/01
>Robert Weede was an excellent baritone, who had the bad misfortune of
>singing at the Met when they had Tibbett, John Charles Thomas, Warren
>and Merrill.
~~~~~~~~~~
Is there any other kind of misfortune?

:>))) G/P Dave

Leonard Tillman

Nov 20, 2001, 2:05:39 PM11/20/01
>Robert Weede was an excellent baritone, who
> had the bad misfortune of singing at the Met
> when they had Tibbett, John Charles
> Thomas, Warren and Merrill.  He would be
> the leading baritone of the Met in any other
> era.

-- Unfortunately, his readily available recordings are, AFAIK, now
limited to the original cast albums of the musicals, "The Most Happy
Fella" and "Milk and Honey".

(IMO, his vocal quality was of somewhat greater beauty than Thomas' and
even Warren's [though with less awesome power than the latter], equal to
that of Tibbett's, but exceeded by the one and only Merrill!)

Leonard Tillman

Nov 20, 2001, 2:13:31 PM11/20/01
>>The (Trovatore) cast was
>>
>>Maria Callas              Leonora
>>Eunice Alberts           Ines
>>Claramae Turner        Azucena
>>Jussi Bjorling             Manrico
>>Mariano Caruso         Ruiz
>>Robert Weede            Di Luna
>>William Wilderman    Ferrando
>>Jonas Vaznelis            Gypsy
>>Lyric Theater Orchestra and Chorus
> conducted by Nicola Rescigno "

>"Wow!  Robert Weede!"

And Wow! Claramae Turner (and fine overall cast, etc.)!

Mike Richter

Nov 20, 2001, 4:08:49 PM11/20/01
Leonard Tillman wrote:

> >Robert Weede was an excellent baritone, who
> > had the bad misfortune of singing at the Met
> > when they had Tibbett, John Charles
> > Thomas, Warren and Merrill. He would be
> > the leading baritone of the Met in any other
> > era.
>
> -- Unfortunately, his readily available recordings are, AFAIK, now
> limited to the original cast albums of the musicals, "The Most Happy
> Fella" and "Milk and Honey".
>
> (IMO, his vocal quality was of somewhat greater beauty than Thomas' and
> even Warren's [though with less awesome power than the latter], equal to
> that of Tibbett's, but exceeded by the one and only Merrill!)

The opera company in San Francisco has a series of discs from the
"Studio Hour". Volume three offers Weede's "Avant de quitter" in a
performance that makes it clear he is in the same class as his
illustrious Met contemporaries. I would post it at my WWW site if I were
permitted.

Matthew B. Tepper

Nov 20, 2001, 4:09:57 PM11/20/01
MD <mde...@home.com> wrote in news:3BFA9D56...@home.com:

> Robert Weede was an excellent baritone, who had the bad misfortune of
> singing at the Met when they had Tibbett, John Charles Thomas, Warren
> and Merrill. He would be the leading baritone of the Met in any other
> era.

I have no doubt. I was just making a tiny witticism, looking at a cast
which included Callas and Bjoerling, and raving about the baritone!

Leonard Tillman

Nov 20, 2001, 5:30:01 PM11/20/01
>The opera company in San Francisco has a
> series of discs from the "Studio Hour".
> Volume three offers Weede's "Avant de
> quitter" in a performance that makes it clear
> he is in the same class as his illustrious Met
> contemporaries. I would post it at my WWW
> site if I were permitted.

>Mike

>mric...@cpl.net
>http://www.mrichter.com/

-- I recall also, a couple of Voce LPs with
Weede, one alternating with Warren selections, -- the other with a few
of Thebom's.....but totalling only 8 or 10 from Weede, such a magnicent
baritone (who was also the teacher of Earl Wrightson, another *great* of
our time - "our", meaning a number of us, of a certain vintage!)

Matthew B. Tepper

Nov 20, 2001, 10:26:32 PM11/20/01
Mike Richter <mric...@cpl.net> wrote in news:3BFAC661...@cpl.net:

Who knows, a sufficiently anonymous person could post it on certain binary
newsgroups, and the SFO lawyers would not be able to do a thing about it.

byte...@gmail.com

Dec 19, 2016, 11:18:39 PM12/19/16
On Sunday, November 18, 2001 at 9:37:58 PM UTC-6, alkan wrote:
> Did they ever perform/record anything together?
>
> alkan

I had also heard that they performed together in Chicago in La Traviata. I also would love to hear them together as they were equal to each other in greatness.

Marco Blanc

Dec 20, 2016, 3:46:43 AM12/20/16
byte...@gmail.com writes:

> I had also heard that they performed together in Chicago in La Traviata.

It's Trovatore :

Callas, Stignani, Björling, Bastianini, Wildermann, N.Rescigno at
Chicago Opera, 5 june 1955.

--
M.B

wade...@hotmail.com

Jan 25, 2017, 12:45:35 AM1/25/17
Beard-wife

Mervyn Lang

Mar 20, 2017, 8:48:57 AM3/20/17
On Monday, 19 November 2001 05:44:49 UTC, Mike Richter wrote:
> "Roger D. White" wrote:
> >
> > A) What did they perform together in Chicago (or anywhere else)?.
>
> Il trovatore - and there was nowhere else. On any Callas question of
> performance or recording, you're likely to find the answer in Frank
> Hamilton's PDFs at
> http://www.frankhamilton.org/
>
> He's done the same for Corelli and di Stefano and is on his way with
> Gobbi.
>
> > B) In light of the pairing of two such giants, doesn't it seem more
> > than a little odd that there is no recorded document made of this?
>
> Not really. Bjoerling's rep did not extend to the bel canto (would that
> it had) in the period when Callas was concentrating on it and their
> principal 'homes' were different. There could have been recordings, but
> Callas was an EMI artist for most of her career and Bjoerling recorded
> principally for RCA.
No signore! Bjorling recorded principally for EMI (HMV), only towards end did he record for RCA. Ecco detto

Mervyn Lang

Mar 20, 2017, 8:53:05 AM3/20/17
Well, how about a copy of this stunning foto?