Aria in Insp Morse "2nd Time Around"?

John S. Abrams

Mar 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/22/96
Can anyone identify the soprano aria (it's in italian) that was
featured in the soundtrack to the British Inspector Morse mystery drama
entitled "Second Time Around"? This was the episode that was shown on
last night's (3/21/96) PBS Mystery. Thanks in advance to all you
Morse/Opera buffs.

John Abrams
Los Altos, CA

Ed Skladany

Mar 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/24/96

John,

Well, I was going to ask this question a little differently. I know the
aria, but I want to know the performer. The aria is "Graci" from Puccini's
Sour Angelica. I have two versions of it, but neither match the performance
on Morse. Lovely.

Can anyone tell me who sung this (and with whom, of course). Thanks!

--
Ed Skladany | home: e...@pluto.njcc.com | Yet Another
| work: e...@vfl.paramax.com | Linux User
And Jesus pulled forth a carrot and He said to them: "Behold this,for it is a
carrot." And they all knew it was true for it was orange with green top. And the
Lord took a cloth and put over the carrot.Then He swiftly removed it and the
carrot had changed into a white furry mammal. And the crowd went absolutely
bananas and they said to Him :"How the hell did You do that??"
- Rowan Atkinson,1991 -

Jmballo

Mar 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/24/96
performer? lower register sort of sounds like Tebaldi

drjoe

Christine Duncan

Mar 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/25/96
In <3154DD2F...@pluto.njcc.com> Ed Skladany <e...@pluto.njcc.com> writes:

>...from Puccini's Sour Angelica.

This sounds like something you wouldn't want to decorate a cake with. :-)

Christine

Jmballo

Mar 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/25/96
the aria is from Pucinni's Suor Angelica (Sister Angelica), 'Senza mamma'.
It concerns a woman sent to a convent having disgraced her family by
bearing an illegitimate child. She has just learned of the child's death.
The translation of the first few lines:

Without your mother, my baby, you died.
Your lips, without my kisses,
faded and gew cold.,
oh my baby, and you closed your lovely eyes.
Not able to cuddle me,
you crossed your little hands on your chest.
And you died without knowing
how much your mother here loved you.

This is, of course, the theme of the Morse episode, the death of a child
seperated from it's parents and the motive of the killing - revenge for
the child dying alone and not being held and comforted (except for Morse,
we find out in the end).
The overall home key for the opera is A minor (a), the aria is in a. and
this is carried over, both in general mood and by quotation, in the score
for the episode. This is particularly true in the harp over string
ostinato that begins the episode and recurs from time to time.
The opera is worth hearing - once. There is really no plot and, in true
Pucinni fashion the heroine commits suicide and has a vision of the
Blessed Virgin showing her her child as 'Il miracolo sfolgora' (The
miracle continues to glow). Glowing miracles are probably an acquired
taste.

_____

translations from the London Decca recording.

resource4...@gmail.com

Jul 25, 2015, 7:18:56 AM7/25/15
Op vrijdag 22 maart 1996 11:00:00 UTC+3 schreef John S. Abrams:
> Can anyone identify the soprano aria (it's in italian) that was
> featured in the soundtrack to the British Inspector Morse mystery drama
> entitled "Second Time Around"? This was the episode that was shown on
> last night's (3/21/96) PBS Mystery. Thanks in advance to all you
> Morse/Opera buffs.
>
> John Abrams
> Los Altos, CA

In the episode, when part is played at the home of Morse, a sleeve of an album with Maria Callas is shown - my bet is on that

CHSIII

Jul 26, 2015, 2:55:40 PM7/26/15
"Senza mamma" from Suor Angelica of Puccini - sung by English soprano Janis
Kelly.

wrote in message

emanuel...@gmail.com

Jul 4, 2017, 11:06:20 PM7/4/17
On Friday, March 22, 1996 at 9:00:00 PM UTC+13, John S. Abrams wrote:
> Can anyone identify the soprano aria (it's in italian) that was
> featured in the soundtrack to the British Inspector Morse mystery drama
> entitled "Second Time Around"? This was the episode that was shown on
> last night's (3/21/96) PBS Mystery. Thanks in advance to all you
> Morse/Opera buffs.
>
> John Abrams
> Los Altos, CA

It's Janis Kelly