1953 Furtwangler Ring SACD???

Willem

Sep 4, 2015, 12:27:35 PM9/4/15
Has anyone heard this Japanese release??? Is the sound clearly superior from previous incarnations??
Message has been deleted

John Inglis

Feb 22, 2017, 11:30:59 AM2/22/17
The Pristine Classical version is excellent and the Japanese EMI SACD copy of the RAI is much more expensive.

For the pristine Classical, see https://www.pristineclassical.com/products/paco057

But feinstei9415 at Stevehoffman judges the EMI SACD to be better ,

"I listened to the Andrew Rose 24 bit FLAC Rheingold (that I was able to burn to a single DVD-A disc) today in this "fake stereo" process that they have which separates out hall ambience from mono recordings. It was a little weird to have the orchestra centered with little extraneous hall noises in stereo, but overall the effect was not distracting. Mr. Rose really did a good job in terms of transferring the original 1971 vintage HMV EMI LP's to HiRes digital media.

However, I must say that the new Japanese SACD's from EMI are much more analytical sounding (as a tuba player, I listened for the "choir" of the 16 "Wagner-Tubas" (alto, tenor, bass, and contrabass) with the score in hand and see if the recording (Rose versus SACD) allowed me to hear the "conical brass" sonority of each of the tubas in the family and generally "free the music" from the boxiness that has been the major complaint about these recordings ever since they were issued. As good as Andrew Rose's equalization decisions were, he could not work miracles on the source material that he had (the original issue HMV LP's from 1971). The SACD's again made the sonorities "come alive", not only in the brass, but also in the winds and strings. Somehow, the source that the EMI guys used was not boxy at all and the SACD's brought the sound quality and spaciousness up to that of the best early mono recordings from the 1950's. Could EMI have magically gotten ahold of a better source than the "tape transcriptions of discs that RAI recorded these performances on"? Maybe EMI finally convinced RAI to let them have access to the original discs/tapes instead of copies? I wish I could read the Japanese liner notes to get a clue as to how they did such wonderful magic on these recordings!"

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...review.288453/