Rienzi's War Song

Pavel Svinchnik

Apr 7, 2017, 9:34:37 PM4/7/17
I just watched a DVD of "Rienzi", an opera I'd never seen before. When the army of the people of Rome go out to battle the nobles, their war song is “Santo Spirito Cavaliere”, which translates literally as “Holy Spirit Knight”.

I googled around but couldn't find more information about this song. I assume it's an appeal to the Holy Spirit to aid them in battle, to be a knight for their side; does anyone have a better explanation?

Paul