The Great Sherrill Milnes . .

ljo

Dec 21, 2007, 10:09:48 PM12/21/07
. . is a vice president of The Richard Tucker Foundation and has performed
at a number of its Galas. Let's hope Barry doesn't discover that he's a
fraud.

My goodness! Imagine the embarrassment.

ljo - Tenacious is my middle name . . or would be if it started with a T.

LT

Dec 22, 2007, 12:16:49 AM12/22/07

Stinkie Bollmannure, now 'defending' Mr. Milnes:

> . . is a vice president of The Richard Tucker Foundation and has performed
> at a number of its Galas.

But he's certainly no Stinkie 'Fee-Dellio' Bollmann!

>Let's hope Barry doesn't >discover that he's a fraud.

Ya mean like we all discovered YOU are?

> My goodness!

You have none.

>Imagine my constant self->embarrassment!!!

Imagine it? We SEE it - all the time.

>'ljo' - Turd is my middle name . .

Should be your first.

Ken Meltzer

Dec 22, 2007, 8:10:55 AM12/22/07
On Dec 21, 10:09 pm, "ljo" <seniorcubrepor...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> . . is a vice president of The Richard Tucker Foundation and has performed
> at a number of its Galas.

That's true. And several years ago, the Richard Tucker Foundation
sponsored a Master Class with Sherrill Milnes at the Peabody
Conservatory in Baltimore. Barry Tucker generously agreed to help me
secure a radio interview with Sherrill Milnes. Both the Master Class
and interview were very interesting-for me, at least!
Best,
Ken

Angus Prune

Dec 22, 2007, 8:28:58 AM12/22/07

========
Ken:
You will have seen posts here about Sherrill Milnes' alleged ego.
You will be able to say ay or nay to this; IS Sherrill Milnes in
possession of an over-inflated ego?

AP

Ken Meltzer

Dec 22, 2007, 8:44:21 AM12/22/07
On Dec 22, 8:28 am, Angus Prune <raff_martin...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Ken:
> You will have seen posts here about Sherrill Milnes' alleged ego.
> You will be able to say ay or nay to this; IS Sherrill Milnes in
> possession of an over-inflated ego?
>
> AP

Dear Mr. Prune:
I think I've had the opportunity to speak with Sherrill Milnes on
three occasions. Once was after a Tucker Gala concert in NY, the
Baltimore interview, and more recently, after a Pittsburgh Opera
performance of Andrea Chenier.
My impression is that his ego is no greater or smaller than most
prominent opera singers. I don't know how anyone can sing night after
night on the stages of the greatest opera houses without a large
degree of self-confidence. But I also found Sherrill Milnes to be
someone with a good sense of humor-even about himself-and a real
appreciation for the great tradition of opera composition and
performing.
I'm glad I had the opportunity to meet him and see him perform, on
many occasions.
Best,
Ken

Steve Silverman

Dec 22, 2007, 10:31:54 AM12/22/07

"Ken Meltzer" <comm...@aol.com> wrote in message

> > I think I've had the opportunity to speak with Sherrill Milnes on
> three occasions. Once was after a Tucker Gala concert in NY, the
> Baltimore interview, and more recently, after a Pittsburgh Opera
> performance of Andrea Chenier.
> My impression is that his ego is no greater or smaller than most
> prominent opera singers. I don't know how anyone can sing night after
> night on the stages of the greatest opera houses without a large
> degree of self-confidence. But I also found Sherrill Milnes to be
> someone with a good sense of humor-even about himself-and a real
> appreciation for the great tradition of opera composition and
> performing.

I was lucky enough to spend two full days watching Milnes giving master
classes in London about twenty years ago. He was easy-going and
self-deprecating with the students, never seeking to overawe them with his
reputation and experience. During the intervals he sat chatting and eating
his sandwiches in the public refreshment area with the participants. I was
struck at the time by how ego-free he seemed.

Steve Silverman

ljo

Dec 22, 2007, 10:38:07 AM12/22/07

"Steve Silverman" <ssil...@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

Now, if Ed only knew how to spell Freud correctly . . .

Angus Prune

Dec 22, 2007, 10:50:30 AM12/22/07
On 22 Dec, 15:31, "Steve Silverman" <ssilv...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> "Ken Meltzer" <commsp...@aol.com> wrote in message
=======
Thanks to both Ken and Steve for their personal recollections. I had
heard that Mr Milnes was down-to-erath, and WAS surprised by tales of
his ego-spreading.

Steve Silverman

Dec 22, 2007, 10:59:17 AM12/22/07

"Angus Prune" <raff_ma...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> Thanks to both Ken and Steve for their personal
> recollections. I had heard that Mr Milnes was
> down-to-erath, and WAS surprised by tales of
> his ego-spreading.

To be absolutely fair and balanced, I have also heard that it was only after
his massive setbacks during the first couple of years of the eighties that
he acquired more humility. I have no idea whether or not this is true, as I
have no perception of his personality prior to that period. Ultimately, I
don't really care, as it's irrelevant to the quality of his singing. Unless,
of course, it's a case of people spreading malicious gossip and innuendo as
has been the case here with one other notable singer.

Steve Silverman

REG

Dec 22, 2007, 11:17:59 AM12/22/07
What did he have to say about the passsaggio, Ken?

"Ken Meltzer" <comm...@aol.com> wrote in message

LT

Dec 22, 2007, 11:20:21 AM12/22/07

AP asks:

>(....)say ay or nay to this;  IS Sherrill Milnes in

> possession of an over-inflated ego?
> AP

Not when I encountered him at various autograph-signings from 1969 -
'98; but if he ever did display a perceived 'over-inflated ego',
remember there ARE some fans (not ref. to CH) who, with their nosiness
and outright rudeness, do try the patience of even the friendliest
stars.
When that's the case - can't blame the singers.

REG

Dec 22, 2007, 11:28:25 AM12/22/07
I'm glad to see you finally coming to Charlie's defense, Steve.

On another note, I do think that personality issues aren't really different
from issues about singing....except of course for singers who don't have
much personality, and we never do discuss those singers here <g>. Something
'about' a singer really comes through in the singing, and I don't think the
'personality' can ever be separate from the interpretation. Do we know
specifics - for example, can you tell from Schwatzkopf's singing, or
Lemnitz', or the great (very great artist, despite herself) Ely Ney that
they were fervant Nazis (Ney and Lemnitz unapologetically till their deaths)
and anti-Semites? No, of course not, although I am trying to remember when
Elisabeth and her lovable husband Walter appeared in Israel - anyone have
the dates?

Anyway, I digress. The point is that more broad issues of a singer's
personality HAVE to come through, and make a difference, because 1) a singer
can only chose an interpret a role based on the kind of person that singer
is - that's true for all performing artists, and for all of us and 2) once
you make those choices, your personality is there all the time IN the role.
So whether Milnes beat the dog or was rude to the chorus or whatever isn't
going to show up specifically in his singing, but something broader will,
and in Milnes' case I really think it does, and it even further diminishes
for me any enjoyment I can have in most of what he does.

But then again you and Ed like Anna, don't you?

It just goes to prove that Ed isn't perfect....about you, I knew already.

Happy holidays to you all, anyway,
Imperfectly yours,
Richard

"Steve Silverman" <ssil...@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

ljo

Dec 22, 2007, 11:34:29 AM12/22/07
The three 's' passsaggio is very rare and hardly ever taught anymore except
by a little old lady in Passsadena, Texas.

"REG" <Rich...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

REG

Dec 22, 2007, 11:34:59 AM12/22/07
Ken, there's no disagreeing about taste, although you'd never know that from
rmo. I'm sure you agree with that.

My question is how much do you really think you can really tell from an
interview like that? I doubt that it's very much, and that's not at all a
reflection on you and your skills (it's something I could never do) or the
specifics of the interview. It's just that anyone (more or less, I"m sure
you have exceptions) whose a star can give a good interview, and that's even
true of politicians. Look at Hillary in the early debates. Until the
questions really get tough and unexpected, it's all more or less 'rehearsed'
by the artist, if only because they've done it hundreds of times, with the
same questions in multiple variations...it's like a Presidential press
conference but without the surprises....ie, it's a performance by a
performing artist.

I keep going back to what I've heard about people who do ghost written
'autobiographies'.....the 'technique', in various ways, is that you tape
something like the first 40 hours of interviews, if you can, get all the
information, and then come in the next time and ceremoniously throw them all
out in front of the subject (see also, the last page of Portnoy's
Complaint). The point is that you've now heard all the canned stuff, now
you'd like to get closer to the real stuff.....

Again, not criticism of you, but a real question about how much these kinds
of vignettes can mean about anyone, even allowing that there are individual
differences in artists.

Best

REG

Dec 22, 2007, 11:36:13 AM12/22/07
Perhaps you should direct him to a copy of your spell-check?

Richard, in a glass house
"ljo" <seniorcu...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

REG

Dec 22, 2007, 11:41:56 AM12/22/07
Yes, great teaching is dying out at an alarming rate.

"ljo" <seniorcu...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

REG

Dec 22, 2007, 11:43:38 AM12/22/07
who's, as they write in Passsadena

"REG" <Rich...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

LT

Dec 22, 2007, 1:24:29 PM12/22/07
On Dec 22, 11:34 am, "ljo" <seniorcubrepor...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> The three 's' passsaggio is very rare and hardly ever taught anymore except
> by a little old lady in Passsadena, Texas.

Oh, stop being so pisssy! But then....that'sss you.

> "REG" <Richer...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > What did he have to say about the passsaggio, Ken?
>

> > "Ken Meltzer" <commsp...@aol.com> wrote in message

> >> That's true.  And several years ago, the Richard Tucker Foundation
> >> sponsored a Master Class with Sherrill Milnes at the Peabody
> >> Conservatory in Baltimore.  Barry Tucker generously agreed to help me
> >> secure a radio interview with Sherrill Milnes.  Both the Master Class
> >> and interview were very interesting-for me, at least!
> >> Best,

> >> Ken- Hide quoted text -

Ken Meltzer

Dec 22, 2007, 1:26:16 PM12/22/07
On Dec 22, 11:17 am, "REG" <Richer...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> What did he have to say about the passsaggio, Ken?

Actually, he did talk with some of the Master Class students about
negotiating the passaggio. He described how hard he had to work to
deal with that part of his voice. As I recall, he spent a fair amount
of time talking about forming the vowels properly to allow the voice
to transition to the upper register.
It really was a fine Master Class.
Best,
Ken

Ken Meltzer

Dec 22, 2007, 1:30:11 PM12/22/07
On Dec 22, 11:34 am, "REG" <Richer...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Again, not criticism of you, but a real question about how much these kinds
> of vignettes can mean about anyone, even allowing that there are individual
> differences in artists.

My feeling is that in general, people reveal their true natures
relatively quickly. Based upon my brief encounters with Sherrill
Milnes, coupled with the reactions of friends who worked with him and
know him quite well, I feel pretty comfortable with my perceptions of
him, general as they are.
Best,
Ken

Steve Silverman

Dec 22, 2007, 6:10:13 PM12/22/07

> I'm glad to see you finally coming to Charlie's defense, Steve.

Eh?

Steve Silverman

andre35

Dec 22, 2007, 6:29:31 PM12/22/07

"Steve Silverman" <ssil...@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

The infamous language gap strikes again, eh Steve?
Happy New Year from across The Big Wet Thing . . . .

SAJQR

jszos...@comcast.net

Dec 22, 2007, 8:31:18 PM12/22/07

Ken et al: I can only speak from 'behind the curtain' so to speak.
Most artists tend to be quite delightful when addressing their
public...but quite different when they're working. My comments were
of the guy...after years of knowing and working with him...behind the
scenes...with a few personal bits thrown in for good measure. Choose
to believe what you will. We all have our individual tastes when it
comes to voice and interpretations.

To reiterate...I thought him excellent early on before he became the
self-imposed heir apparent to Leonard Warren. From then
on...Woofiness from trying to darken the voice to sound like
Warren...and the consequent pitch problems.

Chacun à son goût!

Jon E. Szostak, Sr.

gma3...@yahoo.com

Dec 23, 2007, 6:49:02 PM12/23/07
On Dec 21, 10:09 pm, "ljo" <seniorcubrepor...@earthlink.net> wrote:

and one of the worst baritone voices I have heard

LT

Dec 23, 2007, 7:48:45 PM12/23/07

Compared to the messy-soprano hyaenid cackles of 'ljo', Milnes, and
for that matter, Baum, FF Jenkins, and C. Church, are Carusi (pl.).

Zeanilover

Dec 23, 2007, 10:27:01 PM12/23/07

Isn't LJO nice??He lives only to cause trouble....I wish he would
leave us since he smells...sorry Dan..I copied you...ch

Zeanilover

Dec 23, 2007, 10:27:43 PM12/23/07
On Dec 22, 10:38 am, "ljo" <seniorcubrepor...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> "Steve Silverman" <ssilv...@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

> > "Ken Meltzer" <commsp...@aol.com> wrote in message
> Now, if Ed only knew how to spell Freud correctly . . .- Hide quoted text -

LJO makes a Fraudian slip every time..in fact he wears a pink one...ch

JKH

Dec 24, 2007, 6:37:45 AM12/24/07
On 22 Dec, 15:31, "Steve Silverman" <ssilv...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> "Ken Meltzer" <commsp...@aol.com> wrote in message

> I was lucky enough to spend two full days watching Milnes giving master
> classes in London about twenty years ago. He was easy-going and
> self-deprecating with the students, never seeking to overawe them with his
> reputation and experience. During the intervals he sat chatting and eating
> his sandwiches in the public refreshment area with the participants. I was
> struck at the time by how ego-free he seemed.
>
> Steve Silverman

I was there also and had the same impression.

JKH

LT

Dec 24, 2007, 5:04:48 PM12/24/07

'Smells'> no; STINKS, yes!

...sorry Dan..I copied you...ch- >Hide quoted text -

I've no doubt DFT would concur...

LT

Dec 24, 2007, 5:06:42 PM12/24/07
On Dec 23, 10:27 pm, Zeanilover <CharlesHandel...@cs.com> wrote:
> LJO makes a Fraudian slip every time..in fact he wears >a pink one...ch- Hide quoted text -

'ljo's' slips, or any of its hyena-tailored undies, are doubtless of
the Y/B hue, no longer 'pink', after two seconds of 'boll-contact'..

alanwa...@aol.com

Dec 24, 2007, 5:17:16 PM12/24/07

Perhaps he told them that, regrettably, you do not always get it right
on the night however hard you try?

He sounds from Steve's description like a real person. Amazing!

I assume we can take it for granted that no one went
NUTSY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
on this occasion?

Kind regards,
Alan M. Watkins

gggg...@gmail.com

Feb 15, 2017, 8:18:08 PM2/15/17
On Friday, December 21, 2007 at 5:09:48 PM UTC-10, ljo wrote:
> . . is a vice president of The Richard Tucker Foundation and has performed
> at a number of its Galas. Let's hope Barry doesn't discover that he's a
> fraud.
>
> My goodness! Imagine the embarrassment.
>
> ljo - Tenacious is my middle name . . or would be if it started with a T.

If you like Milnes' RODRIGO:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.music.classical.recordings/1Ba5YeXUA6Q