Cuts in long operas during the late 19th and early 20th Century MEt performances

wade...@hotmail.com

Jan 24, 2017, 11:59:25 PM1/24/17
Do we have any idea what kind of performance cuts were made in the longer opera scores in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, for example in works by Meyerbeer and Gounod's Faust when they were done at the Met?

gggg...@gmail.com

Jan 29, 2017, 4:15:44 AM1/29/17
On Tuesday, January 24, 2017 at 6:59:25 PM UTC-10, wade...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Do we have any idea what kind of performance cuts were made in the longer opera scores in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, for example in works by Meyerbeer and Gounod's Faust when they were done at the Met?

According to the following:

- Faust is an opera that has often been subjected to cutting...

https://books.google.com/books?id=CsGj12DnHLYC&pg=PA165&dq=%22Faust+is+an+opera+that+has+often+been+subjected+to+cutting.%22&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi44_71gefRAhUGr1QKHSXyDtAQ6AEIHDAA#v=onepage&q=%22Faust%20is%20an%20opera%20that%20has%20often%20been%20subjected%20to%20cutting.%22&f=false