Opera singers with outstanding tattoos

Benjamin Rochefort

Apr 18, 2015, 10:53:16 AM4/18/15
Just finished watching a broadcast of Graham Vick's production of Boris
Godunov at the Mariinski Theater, with Evgeny Nikitin as Boris, and
couldn't help but notice and notice, again and again, Evgeny Nikitin's
very visible hand tattoos - not a usual sight on an opera stage!
Actually, his whole body is covered in ink - see
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=evgeny+nikitin&iax=1&ia=images for example -
and there was even a controversy some years ago about what definitely
seemed to be a huge swastika on his chest (it has been covered since then).

I think I remember reading that the bass Karl Ridderbusch was an
unrepentant nazi and had a swastika tattooed on his forearm (or his my
memory playing tricks on me?).

So apart from Third-Reich lovers, did any famous opera singer sport any
remarkable tattoo, and what was/is it?

Best regards from Montreal, Quebec.

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Apr 18, 2015, 4:22:09 PM4/18/15
I know tattoos are fashionable, these days (although I belong to a
generation where they were considered "cheap" and "common"). However, I
cannot imagine a performing artist sporting such permanent
disfigurations! Temporary, if they add to his concept of the character,
but PERMANENT?????

Benjamin Rochefort

Apr 20, 2015, 9:08:53 PM4/20/15
Le 2015-04-18 16:21, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) a écrit :
> I know tattoos are fashionable, these days (although I belong to a
> generation where they were considered "cheap" and "common"). However, I
> cannot imagine a performing artist sporting such permanent
> disfigurations! Temporary, if they add to his concept of the character,
> but PERMANENT?????

Hi,

Well you may be surprised to learn that the following opera singers have
tattoos (I quote a public answer I got on opera-l):

"Teddy Tahu Rhodes has some beautiful tribal work on his arms.
http://tinyurl.com/qz2p2zj

Other ink singers include mezzo Jean Stilwell (who has a lot of lovely
work):
http://tinyurl.com/porubk5

baritone Vasil Garvanliev:
http://tinyurl.com/mkybqux

Also Rosalind Elias, Andrea Gruber (whose several include one with the
opening of "In Questa Reggia" on her back), tenor Frank Porretta."

http://listserv.bccls.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1504C&L=OPERA-L&T=0&F=&S=&P=81043