Request for Information on American tenor DAVID POLERI

Descartes

Aug 20, 2002, 1:31:38 PM8/20/02
I am collecting information on American tenor DAVID POLERI.
I would be grateful for any and all information any of you might be able
to provide regarding Poleri's short career, his repertoire,
his performances, his recordings, his teachers, his education,
his family background. Above all, I would be most interested
to hear any first-hand accounts from people who knew Poleri,
heard him sing live, or worked with him. Finally, I would
appreciate any facts pertaining to his famous walkout
during a performance of Carmen or his bizarre, tragic
suicide. Many thanks.

D.

Valfer

Aug 21, 2002, 1:03:22 PM8/21/02
AFAIK, David Poleri graduated from Philadelphia's Academy of Vocal
Arts. There he may have studied either with Giuseppe Valdengo or
Dorothy Di Scala. Unfortunately, the Academy's records for the 40's
and 50's were lost some time ago.

You mention a suicide. I thought Poleri had died in an airplane
accident. Can anyone clarify?

Valfer

Mitchell Kaufman

Aug 21, 2002, 1:57:35 PM8/21/02
Valfer <val...@msn.com> wrote:

> AFAIK, David Poleri graduated from Philadelphia's Academy of Vocal
> Arts. There he may have studied either with Giuseppe Valdengo or
> Dorothy Di Scala. Unfortunately, the Academy's records for the 40's
> and 50's were lost some time ago.
>
> You mention a suicide. I thought Poleri had died in an airplane
> accident. Can anyone clarify?

As I understand it, Poleri and his wife (with whom he had an on-again,
off-again relationship) were killed in a helicopter crash over Hawaii,
where they had gone for a second honeymoon.

The suicide thing may be a reference to a City Opera Carmen in 1953,
where Poleri, the Don Jose, had a dispute over tempo with the conductor
during the performance. Poleri yelled, "Finish it yourself," and stormed
offstage, never to return. Gloria Lane, the Carmen, had to kill
*herself*, while a cover tenor finished the performance from the wings.

MK
--
"Hitting the ball is good." -- Mo Vaughn

Descartes

Aug 21, 2002, 9:39:57 PM8/21/02
On 21 Aug 2002 10:03:22 -0700, val...@msn.com (Valfer) wrote:

>AFAIK, David Poleri graduated from Philadelphia's Academy of Vocal
>Arts. There he may have studied either with Giuseppe Valdengo or
>Dorothy Di Scala. Unfortunately, the Academy's records for the 40's
>and 50's were lost some time ago.
>
>You mention a suicide. I thought Poleri had died in an airplane
>accident. Can anyone clarify?

Evidently, you are correct. My info was mistaken.

D.

Tom Kaufman

Aug 23, 2002, 9:33:26 AM8/23/02
A friend of mine, Mr. Andrew Pope has a strong interest in Poleri, and a lot
of material.

He tried to E-mail M. Descartes, but it bounced.

Please e-mail him at:
andy...@acninc.net

Tom

Tom Kaufman
URL of web site:
<A href="www.geocities.com/Vienna/8917/index.html">Tom Kaufman's site</A>

Leonard Tillman

Aug 23, 2002, 10:57:35 AM8/23/02
He was also a fine Turiddu in a tv-film or production of Cavalleria
Rusticana in the late '50s - early '60s era... I don't recall his
co-stars, though.

LT
For that elusive "balanced diet": Eat *equal amounts*
of dark and light chocolates.

Mermaid Legs

Aug 23, 2002, 3:36:03 PM8/23/02
The Santuzza was Virginia Copeland, and it was a performance to die for. Is
there a chance a kinescope (or whatever they called them then) might
survive?

"Leonard Tillman" <tapef...@webtv.net> wrote in message

Leonard Tillman

Aug 24, 2002, 11:30:17 AM8/24/02
From: sharp...@hotmail.com (Mermaid Legs)

>The Santuzza was Virginia Copeland, and it
> was a performance to die for.

Definitely! Was the baritone an American? I remember that his "Il
Cavallo Scalpita" was one of the better ones.

Copeland was later known as Virginia Gordoni, and under that
name, sang in an excellent Ernani performance, with Corelli, Raimondi,
and (IIRC) Cappuccilli. I believe it's available on CDs.

Poleri, a genuine Tenore Drammatico, was an ideal Turiddu,
inspiring sympathy, despite his "erring ways"....and with singing of
great tonal beauty, - if my recollections some forty years since are
correct.

> Is there a chance a kinescope (or whatever
> they called them then) might survive?

I hope that *someone* has it, - and will be kind enough to make
it available sometime.

I saw it years before getting my very first tape recorder (and
*way* before VCRs were around).

LT
(And who were Del Monaco's co-stars in *his* Cavalleria film?)

--------------------------------------

"Leonard Tillman" <tapef...@webtv.net> wrote in message

"He was also a fine Turiddu in a tv-film or production of Cavalleria
Rusticana in the late '50s - early '60s era... I don't recall his
co-stars, though."

LT

Mermaid Legs

Aug 24, 2002, 6:03:52 PM8/24/02
I believe I can date the Copeland/Poleri CAVALLERIA fairly well. I remember
watching it in the apartment of a friend while we were talking about the
kidnapping of Adolf Eichmann from Argentina. The Eichmann business was the
number one news item at the time. So the Eichmann snatch happened in May,
1960, so my extremely good guess is that the CAVALLERIA telecast happened
about that time.

I can also supply the name of the Santuzza in the Del Monaco film. It was
Rina Telli. I saw the film at the old Cinema Giglio on Canal Street in
Manhattan (anybody else remember that place?). About the only thing I really
remember is Del Monaco's entrance: he entered smoking a cigar (or was it a
cigarette?), stopped short when he practically bumped into Santuzza, uttered
the line "Tu qui, Santuzza?" and disdainfully blew a mouthful of smoke in
her face. Great entrance.

"Leonard Tillman" <tapef...@webtv.net> wrote in message

Leonard Tillman

Aug 24, 2002, 7:12:02 PM8/24/02
From: sharp...@hotmail.com (Mermaid Legs)

>I believe I can date the Copeland/Poleri
> CAVALLERIA fairly well. I remember
> watching it in the apartment of a friend while
> we were talking about the kidnapping of Adolf
> Eichmann from Argentina. The Eichmann
> business was the number one news item at
> the time. So the Eichmann snatch happened
> in May, 1960, so my extremely good guess is
> that the CAVALLERIA telecast happened
> about that time.

There must have also been a repeat showing, as my viewing of it
was in about '62.
I remember living then in an apartment other than my 1960 address. So
there must, at least for a while, have been a recording or kinescope of
it.

>I can also supply the name of the Santuzza in
> the Del Monaco film. It was Rina Telli.

I remember her now. She was garbed in the appropriate dark,
"peasant" dress of the story's era, with shawl, kerchief framing her
face, etc.

>I saw the film at the old Cinema Giglio on
> Canal Street in Manhattan (anybody else
> remember that place?). About the only thing I
> really remember is Del Monaco's entrance: he
> entered smoking a cigar (or was it a
> cigarette?),

Cigar, I think.

It also made him a little less *simpatico*, at first.....almost
causing one to begin rooting for Alfio, right then and there!

LT

David7Gable

Aug 25, 2002, 4:15:19 PM8/25/02
>He was also a fine Turiddu in a tv-film or production of Cavalleria
>Rusticana in the late '50s - early '60s era... I don't recall his
>co-stars, though.

Wasn't Farrell Santuzza?

-david gable

Mary Neuhoff

Aug 25, 2002, 8:15:34 PM8/25/02
In late 1959, at not quite 21, I became involved in a local opera =
company in Southern California. It was named The Beverly Hills Civic =
Opera Association, and its only "distinction" upon formation was having =
Mario del Monaco and Gabriella Tucci as honorary board members (a former =
accompanist of Del Monaco's was the musical director). I was not a =
singer as such, but was pressed into singing in the chorus because I =
could carry a tune, didn't sound unpleasant, could read music, knew =
Italian, AND, among the women with high voices, was willing to sing =
second soprano.

The company was ambitious in its initial production undertakings. The =
first, in 1960, was "Il Trovatore." The following year it was "Aida." =
I knew little of David Poleri, except that he had the reputation of =
being something of an enfant terrible. I don't recall how it was that =
our little company secured his services as Radames for our several =
performances, but it did. We were absolutely a "nobody" as far as opera =
companies went. Our foolish stage director was the one who arranged for =
Jose Ferrer to be Amonasro. Ferrer was his nextdoor neighbor and could =
not sing at all, but wanted to sing opera in the worst way, which was =
the way he did it <g>.

Neither Poleri or Ferrer ever rehearsed with us prior to the dress. =
Ferrer did not sing at the dress, claiming "a cold". Ferrer never did =
really sing. Poleri, of course, did, and did a quite OK job of it. =
During his short time with us he was no problem at all. I just could =
not imagine what he was doing THERE!

Evelyn Vogt Gamble (Divamanque)

Aug 26, 2002, 12:12:38 AM8/26/02

I attended (one of) the performance(s). I don't remember
how he sang, but I was surprised the soprano let him live.
(Had I been she, I would have at least severely bitten the
hand with which he insisted upon covering her face during
the last act duet!) BTW, I think the "way you secured his
services" was because Herbert Weiskopf (a fairly well-know
conductor, later to help found the Portland, Oregon Opera)
asked him to sing it. (Also, the fact that his career was
not exactly flourishing at the time - it was too soon after
that Carmen fiasco for people to be enchanted by the
"opportunity" of hiring him.)

I also remember Jose Ferrer's Amonasro. We had heard him in
a "coaching" lesson at Weiskopf's house (ours being
scheduled after it), so knew he couldn't sing, but assumed
he would at least ACT an impressive King of Ethiopia. Not
so - apparently the strain of trying to do something to
which he was so ill-suited got in the way of his normally
impressive acting talent, too.

FYI, one or two of the local singers who made up the rest of
the cast went on to have quite successful careers in Europe,
although they remained more or less "unknown" in the U.S.

HelenMynrd

Aug 26, 2002, 2:00:08 AM8/26/02
I had to laugh when I read this post...I sang with the Connecticut Opera Co..in
Hartford ..must have been in 1954 or so..(I was lucky, Frank Pandolfi ran the
company and I was his student ....fun!).and David came to do Cav.
there...(Resnik was the Santuzza.) He blew the high note in the first aria, (I
heard he had been out carousing the night before....but who knows....)
Anyway......we all got a big kick out of him coming into the women's dressing
room unannounced.......I guess you are right, infant terrible! Love and
sing..HelenM

>jbpoodles writes"

Mary Neuhoff

Aug 26, 2002, 8:21:55 AM8/26/02
"Evelyn Vogt Gamble (Divamanque)" <evg...@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<3D69AA4E...@earthlink.net>...
it was that =

[....] BTW, I think the "way you secured his

> services" was because Herbert Weiskopf (a fairly well-know
> conductor, later to help found the Portland, Oregon Opera)
> asked him to sing it. (Also, the fact that his career was
> not exactly flourishing at the time - it was too soon after
> that Carmen fiasco for people to be enchanted by the
> "opportunity" of hiring him.)

> [....]>

> FYI, one or two of the local singers who made up the rest of
> the cast went on to have quite successful careers in Europe,
> although they remained more or less "unknown" in the U.S.

Was one of those singers the mezzo Estelle Blanchette? Hope so. I
thought she was marvelous. The other sensational voice I recall from
that group was Michael Andor, a baritone.

I'd forgotten about Weiskopf, who, of course, led the Beverly Hills
Symphony for our "Aida".

Leonard Tillman

Aug 26, 2002, 10:14:55 AM8/26/02
I'm interested in these recollections of such groups and the singers who
were featured in them.

Some went on to fame, most did not...for whatever the reasons.
The little opera-group I often remember most was "The Stuyvesant Opera
Company", run by the late voice teacher/soprano/pianist, Stella Sweeney
(of practically sacred memory, to me).

The singers were, as to be expected, of varying quality. One
excellent "spinto" baritone, Charles Long (who strongly resembled Sam
Ramey) actually did "make it" to the New York City Opera, performing
Alfio and Tonio in "Cavalleria" and "Pagliacci" -- but disappearing from
their roster way too soon. I remember his wife also, - one of the best
lyric sopranos I've ever heard - *anywhere*.

There was a magnificent mezzo, Adele Bonser, a tall goodlooking
woman vocally and facially very similar to Marilyn Horne.

Also, two real Basso-Prrrrofondi, John Morgan and Mario Arano.

A tall, very talented spinto-tenor named Stephen Tamkin, often
cast as Manrico, Don Alvaro, Don Jose, etc.

The frequent Faust was lyric-tenor Marty Brahms, who I recall
toying with the idea of maybe singing *baritone*..

An actual baritone, George Maldonado who performed a fine Rossini
Figaro...

Bob Paulucci, bass-baritone.

Todd Brown, basso-buffo..

-- These are just a few of the likeable -- and very gifted -- folks
I often remember from about 25 - 28 years back.

....And as we know, "not all of the cream rises to the top" (nor
remains there)..

LT
"Truth, though scarce, often seems to be in greater supply than demand."
-- Henry Wheeler Shaw, aka "Josh Billings", 19th Century American
humorist and very astute person.

Leonard Tillman

Aug 26, 2002, 10:29:10 AM8/26/02
I forgot: Tom Caltabellotta, baritone - often Il Conte di Luna, at the
Stuyvesant Opera Co.

And Friedrich (Fred) Saam, bass-baritone;

And for the moment, last but not least, a personal Fave of mine - the
gorgeous Florence Sammon, the Musetta of most of their La Bohemes.

None to be forgotten..

Valfer

Aug 26, 2002, 12:38:53 PM8/26/02
Just to prove how small this world is. Jose Ferrer was engaged (or so
we believed) to sing "Gianni Schicchi" in San Juan, back in 1972. The
production came to a screeching halt due to "problems", among them
Ferrer's cancellation. He never showed up to rehearse, and the show
was cancelled a week before opening night. Later we found out that
the producer had not paid him, thus provoking the cancellation. We
never heard Ferrer sing, although we trusted that his acting would
compensate for any faulty vocalism. He did come later to do a
spectacular "Man of La Mancha", although the vocal demands of the
musical are well below those of the Puccini opera.

Jose Ferrer's interest in opera dated back to the 40's, when he met
the tenor Antonio Paoli in San Juan. I don't know if he actually took
any voice lessons from him, or from his sister Amalia, but as far back
as 1949 he expressed a desire to be the first singing actor to perform
Iago in both Shakespeare and Verdi/Boito. At that time he reportedly
had the baritone voice to achieve this.

Valfer

TheDivo

Aug 26, 2002, 4:21:50 PM8/26/02

I haven't heard some of those names in many years. I did a number of operas
with Stephen Tamkin including a wonderful Forza. He was indeed a talented
tenor with, dare I say, a Corelli-like sound. I've often wondered what happened
to him. I also knew George Maldonado very well. I did Tonio in Pagliacci and
he did Silvio and we also alternated as Danilo in a production of Merry Widow.
If I'm not mistaken George is still performing in the NY area.
I think anyone trying to get operatic experience in the early 70's knew
Stella Sweeney. A wonderful lady who was always willing to give young singers
an opportunity to perform. I don't think there are as many venues in NY today,
such as The Stuyvesant Opera, where a young singer can get stage experience in
various operatic roles.

Leonard Tillman

Aug 26, 2002, 5:49:57 PM8/26/02
From: the...@aol.com (TheDivo)

I (LT) wrote:

[...]

Marty Brams, who I recall toying with the idea of maybe singing
*baritone*..

            An actual baritone, George Maldonado
who performed a fine Rossini Figaro...

            Bob Paulucci, bass-baritone.
        Todd Brown, basso-buffo..

          -- These are just a few of the likeable --
and very gifted -- folks
I often remember from about 25 - 28 years back.

>      I haven't heard some of those names in
> many years. I did a number of operas with
> Stephen Tamkin including a wonderful Forza.

I saw him in one, with an excellent Carlo di Vargas, sung by John
McEvoy (if I correctly recall his surname), and John Morgan as Padre
Guardiano.

( This baritone, McEvoy, another of Stella Sweeney's group, also was
her main Don Giovanni, in a cast including the aforementioned Brams as
Ottavio, Paolucci and Brown respectively as Masetto and Leporello, and
Morgan as Il Commendatore.)

> He was indeed a talented tenor with, dare I
> say, a Corelli-like sound.

On a "spinto-scale", he did have that quality.

Tamkin also acted similarly to, and even *resembled* Corelli, --
especially as Don Jose in his final few moments, as he's about to
"finish off" Carmen (Adele Bonser). His facial and vocal intensity,
very Corelli-like, were among the best I've witnessed in live
performances.

>I've often wondered what happened to him.

Last time I ever saw him was in a '77 or '78 Aida production of that
company.

>I also knew George Maldonado very well. I did
> Tonio in Pagliacci and he did Silvio and we
> also alternated as Danilo in a production of
> Merry Widow. If I'm not mistaken George is
> still performing in the NY area.

I also saw him as Tonio. I'm not certain of this, but he may be
connected or acquainted with Tony Amato of the Amato Opera Company on
NYC's lower Eastside,
(q.v.: - Great site:
http://amato.org/ )

- and possibly involved in teaching or preparing young singers for
performances.

>      I think anyone trying to get operatic
> experience in the early 70's knew Stella
> Sweeney. A wonderful lady who was always
> willing to give young singers an opportunity to
> perform.

She was a great human being whom I'll never forget. I also remember
her husband, Tony Marietta, who personally hand painted, crafted, and
sculpted the various scenic backgrounds and props of these presentations
- which imparted the needed effects, if on a necessarily small-scale.

>I don't think there are as many venues in NY
> today, such as The Stuyvesant Opera, where
> a young singer can get stage experience in
> various operatic roles.

If there now are any that are comparable, I haven't heard of them.

And if I seem nostalgic and very fond of that group, - it's only
because I am. Many of their performances were IMO more gratifying than
much that I've been to at the Met and NYCO, or anywhere else.

Mark D Lew

Aug 26, 2002, 6:46:06 PM8/26/02
In article <20020826162150...@mb-mf.aol.com>, the...@aol.com
(TheDivo) wrote:

> I think anyone trying to get operatic experience in the early 70's knew
> Stella Sweeney. A wonderful lady who was always willing to give young singers
> an opportunity to perform. I don't think there are as many venues in NY
today,
> such as The Stuyvesant Opera, where a young singer can get stage experience in
> various operatic roles.

Some colleagues who have been bicoastal tell me that the main difference
between New York and the SF area is that while New York has more companies
at the higher levels, as well as plenty at the no-budget/workshop level, it
lacks the abundance of medium-sized, in-between companies that one finds in
California.

--
Incidentally, during the hour break between afternoon and evening legs of a
rehearsal yesterday, I had nowhere better to go so I stayed in the

I only mention this because certain people in this group seem to think that
Siegfried is among those roles which are virtually uncastable and there's
no one alive who is capable of doing it. I think that's nonsense, of
course.

mdl

Evelyn Vogt Gamble (Divamanque)

Aug 26, 2002, 10:58:59 PM8/26/02

Mary Neuhoff wrote:

> Was one of those singers the mezzo Estelle Blanchette? Hope so. I
> thought she was marvelous. The other sensational voice I recall from
> that group was Michael Andor, a baritone.

I'm not sure - I'll ask Wanda (Weiskopf) next time I see her
- she'd probably remember, having been more closely
associated with the whole thing (being married to the
conductor). BTW, I thought she had done the Amneris, but
I'm probably getting it mixed up with other productions.
(We both sang the role frequently - sometimes in alternating
performances.)

pamelag...@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2016, 5:28:45 PM3/19/16
David Poleri was under contract to RCA. We learned - by chance -recently of a trove of recordings whose existence even his daughter was unaware of. I met his daughter by the sheerest chance, in Italy, 30 years ago. We have remained close friends. What is your interest in learning more of his life and work?

j-stav...@tamu.edu

Mar 23, 2016, 8:15:41 PM3/23/16

nat...@comcast.net

Jun 14, 2016, 11:57:26 PM6/14/16
yes, he died in a plane crash in Hawaii.

james...@gmail.com

Aug 14, 2016, 5:18:35 AM8/14/16
I the early 70's I was working in a Honolulu Music Store. A gentleman came in and introduced himself as David Poleri. (He was the engaged tenor for the Honolulu Symphony's upcoming Beethoven's 9th.) He asked for the sheet music to a vocal version MacDowell's "To a Wild Rose." I told him the piece was sentimental enough without the words, but he insisted saying that a friend of his was getting married and had requested it. So I found the piece and sold it to him. He sang in the Sunday performance of the Beethoven's 9th but was killed in a plane crash coming back from his recent marriage in Maui. So the chorus director who was a tenor sang that night.

james...@gmail.com

Aug 14, 2016, 5:19:56 AM8/14/16

sunc...@gmail.com

Mar 5, 2017, 1:09:52 PM3/5/17
I am one of David poleri's daughters. No, he did not commit suicide, he died with my mother in a helicopter crash over the island of Kauai on a second marrige honeymoon in dec13,1967
Im always grateful if anyone has any unedited recordings , or wants to help me have his unedited rca pieces brought to the light.... theyre in a vault and I was told by a sony archivist that it would cost 12,000....... any philathropists out there?? ciao, Leslie

Capobagarino

Apr 7, 2017, 3:34:45 AM4/7/17

Capobagarino

Apr 7, 2017, 3:36:36 AM4/7/17
Ma! Memory now blurred,but I believe I saw this tenor in Forza in Edinburgh in early 60s

singe...@kdwelt.de

Nov 23, 2017, 3:20:59 AM11/23/17
This Forza is from 1951 and has some historical significance: the conductor is Fritz Busch, who was most important for the Verdi renaissance in Germany. Regrettably the sound on an Andromeda release is quite poor but good enough to notice what a great Verdi (and not just Verdi!) conductor Busch was - and how good Poleri as Alvaro. His Faust in Munch's Damnation de Faust is quite good, too, as is his Cavaradossi in Leontyne Price`s NBC opera debut. The other two recordings I have with him are the RCA recording of Menotti's The Saint of Bleeker Street and a 1960 Chicago Prince Igor performance with Boris Christoff.

Frank

daniel...@mindspring.com

Jan 28, 2018, 9:58:36 PM1/28/18
On Tuesday, August 20, 2002 at 1:31:38 PM UTC-4, Descartes wrote:
> I am collecting information on American tenor DAVID POLERI.
> I would be grateful for any and all information any of you might be able
> to provide regarding Poleri's short career, his repertoire,
> his performances, his recordings, his teachers, his education,
> his family background. Above all, I would be most interested
> to hear any first-hand accounts from people who knew Poleri,
> heard him sing live, or worked with him. Finally, I would
> appreciate any facts pertaining to his famous walkout
> during a performance of Carmen or his bizarre, tragic
> suicide. Many thanks.
>
> D.
..."suicide?" No way!
He went on a charter small plane out in Hawaii where he viewed volcanic activity...the plane got too close to cinders or magma in a small eruption... emitting from a small eruption of the volcano and went down...crashed into the magma and all on board the small plane were incinerated.

dshe...@gmail.com

Jun 20, 2018, 10:35:31 PM6/20/18
On Tuesday, August 20, 2002 at 12:31:38 PM UTC-5, Descartes wrote:
> I am collecting information on American tenor DAVID POLERI.
> I would be grateful for any and all information any of you might be able
> to provide regarding Poleri's short career, his repertoire,
> his performances, his recordings, his teachers, his education,
> his family background. Above all, I would be most interested
> to hear any first-hand accounts from people who knew Poleri,
> heard him sing live, or worked with him. Finally, I would
> appreciate any facts pertaining to his famous walkout
> during a performance of Carmen or his bizarre, tragic
> suicide. Many thanks.
>
> D.

I heard David Poleri at the Hartford CT Bushnell Auditorium in Cavalleria rusticana with Regina Resnik, that was the April 6, 1954 performance which he sang perfectly (no blown high note in the Siciliana for sure, that evening). Both of these singers were perfect for this opera (Regina had started giving up her Toscas and other high roles the year before, see her wikipedia bio) and they sang up a storm that night, Poleri was especially impressive with ringing spinto tones of great beauty, in sound very much like a young Richard Tucker. I collected his standard RCA recordings, especially loved his Berlioz Faust. Probably Andy Pope still has a fairly complete collection of his recordings, some live, and possibly available via Musicfromthe past.com. Another source might be The Vocal Record Collectors Society in NYC, or the Record Collector in London. I'd love to see a good chronology of his performances together with reviews, and at least an outline of his life. Check also sites like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF-cGjmzKz0&feature=em-share_video_user which has a duet from Forza with soprano Welpurga Wegner.

Idia Legray

Apr 5, 2019, 9:54:05 AM4/5/19
I saw David Poleri in "The Saint of Bleecker Street" in Philadelphia in premiere before it went to NY. What a spectacular voice and what passion he brought to the role. Divo or not, how sad that his life was so tragically cut short.