Anyone remember Nancy Tatum?

LesTroyens

Jul 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/29/96

She was a spinto during the 60's. I saw her on TV as Turandot from
Bordeaux around 1975. She was talked about in the same breath as the
ephemeral Souliotis and the indestructible Jones in old Opera News. Anyone
know anything?
====================================
Du bist lacherlich mit deine Pfauen!

Joe

Aug 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/1/96

I heard her sing Adalgisa to Suliotis' Norma at Carnegie Hall in the famous
performance in the 60s that ended in disaster.

My best friend at the time insisted that it was Nancy Tatum who messed
Elena up by singing a couple of wrong notes or wrong rhythms in an Act I
ensemble. He never forgave Nancy, and call her "that Tatoooom person"
from that day on.

I understand she was from Nashville. I have an old London recital disk of hers
which is quite lovely.

Joe

--
If fools and folly rule the world, the end of man in our time may come as a rude shock, but it will no longer come as a complete surprise. - Abdul Rahman Pazhnak

HenryFogel

Aug 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/1/96

In 1976, Nancy Tatum sang a splendid Sieglinde in Act I of Walkure, in a
concert performance with the Syracuse Symphony under Christopher Keene. I
can't remember the Hunding, but the Siegmund was Nancy Tatum's husband
Wiley Tatum. Nancy was a large lady, Wiley a much more slender man -- and
unfortunately with a much more slender voice which he really had to
stretch beyond its resources to manage Wagner. But she was fabulous, and
I was always surprised that her career did not take her farther.
Henry Fogel

nwt...@yahoo.com

Oct 3, 2015, 5:19:13 PM10/3/15
I am Wiley Tatum. - Nancy's husband. Nancy is now living in Harrison Ar 72602 at P. o. Box 2523. Nancy would like t hear from any of her fans worldwide. - Nancy just celebrated her 84th birthday on August 25th. Nancy was born in Memphis Tn no Nashville as erroneously stated. Nancy's birthdate is August 25, 1931(not 35 or37 as erroneously stated) there are a number of errors concerning her career but are not really so relevant at this point. Hope this will let the public that everything is OK.

nwt...@yahoo.com

Oct 3, 2015, 7:18:13 PM10/3/15
Yes, I'm married to her for 61 years! We are living in Harrison, Ar(heart of the Ozarks). Nancy has just celebrated her 84 birthday. There are quite a few errors in writing about Nancy.

nwt...@yahoo.com

Oct 3, 2015, 7:19:44 PM10/3/15
Yes, I am married to her for the last 61 years! Nancy just celebrated her 84th birthday!

aubrybr...@gmail.com

Jan 11, 2016, 12:00:20 PM1/11/16
Yep heard her sing in Cincy, Ohio while a student at Consevatory. don.t remember what she sang but remember loving the sound of her voice and how down to earth she seemed.

donaldi...@gmail.com

Feb 15, 2016, 11:27:36 AM2/15/16
On Saturday, October 3, 2015 at 5:19:13 PM UTC-4, nwt...@yahoo.com wrote:
> I am Wiley Tatum. - Nancy's husband. Nancy is now living in Harrison Ar 72602 at P. o. Box 2523. Nancy would like t hear from any of her fans worldwide. - Nancy just celebrated her 84th birthday on August 25th. Nancy was born in Memphis Tn no Nashville as erroneously stated. Nancy's birthdate is August 25, 1931(not 35 or37 as erroneously stated) there are a number of errors concerning her career but are not really so relevant at this point. Hope this will let the public that everything is OK.

I just listened to an old record I have of Nancy singing music by Nicholas Flagello, a 1965 release, and had to look up the artist. Masterful singing in impressive music! I see the Michelangelo set is now available in a 1995 CD release... the year Flagello died.

wafwaf...@gmail.com

Apr 15, 2016, 4:30:52 AM4/15/16
Hello Cher Willey et Nancy, je vous retrouve enfin après des années de recherche. Vous ne pouvez savoir l'émotion que je ressent. Je viens d'acheter le récital de Nancy en CD, je l'écoute en boucle et le fais entendre à tous mes amis pour qu'il sache ce qu'était un timbre exceptionnel. Vous m'avez manqué énormément. Je vous aime.
Mon adresse mail wafwaf...@gmail.com
Je vis au Maroc depuis 20 ans, et y suis heureux, je vais en France très souvent. 00212661462764
Essayez de m'écrire sur mon mail. Je voudrais aller vous voir au USA.
Mille grosses bises
Gérard

cal...@gmail.com

Aug 6, 2016, 4:36:39 PM8/6/16
Hallo, I am writing from Germany. As a Child my mother took me to the opera House in Saarbruecken, my home town. There Ms. Tatum was incredibly populär and Green into her later stardom. My motherr adored her.
Catarina Ligendza of equal fame was her worthy successor.
I am glad to have come across the reissue of. Her superb opera recital.
May Ms Tatum stay well
Hans P. Annen

moshek...@gmail.com

Oct 15, 2016, 6:02:26 PM10/15/16
Am Donnerstag, 1. August 1996 09:00:00 UTC+2 schrieb Henry Fogel:
Hello Wiley, I am Moshe Kahn and used to work at the Deutsche Oper am Rhein in Dusseldorf as an assistent director in my early days; I met you and Nancy there while she was rehearsing Donna Anna, with Teresa Zylis-Gara as Donna Elvira; once we also went to Saarbrucken in your car on a terribly rainy day, as Nancy still had to deliver her last performance of Abigail in "Nabucco". I later went to Rome, worked with Visconti and Bolognini, then I withdrew few years later entirely from staging and theatre and dedicated myself to making documentaries with Victor von Hagen and to translating literature. I lived in Rome, Italy, for almost 30 years, then I moved to France and Morocco for many years, now I am in Berlin, developing my TEXT SCORE SYSTEM of operas which I will present soon to the public. - Can't tell you how happy I am that I found you here by sheer chance and to have your news about Nancy. A great moment and the most wonderful memories. I will write to you both to the address you indicate in Harrison. Hope this little note finds you both well. Best wishes and thoughts, Moshe

ispa...@gmail.com

Aug 10, 2017, 3:30:09 PM8/10/17
Nancy Tatum Was à great Senta alto in Bordeaux opera house, and of course turandot!!! Il Was à great pressure to ses this great soprano

maryann...@gmail.com

Aug 27, 2017, 6:41:20 PM8/27/17
On Saturday, October 3, 2015 at 4:19:13 PM UTC-5, nwt...@yahoo.com wrote:
> I am Wiley Tatum. - Nancy's husband. Nancy is now living in Harrison Ar 72602 at P. o. Box 2523. Nancy would like t hear from any of her fans worldwide. - Nancy just celebrated her 84th birthday on August 25th. Nancy was born in Memphis Tn no Nashville as erroneously stated. Nancy's birthdate is August 25, 1931(not 35 or37 as erroneously stated) there are a number of errors concerning her career but are not really so relevant at this point. Hope this will let the public that everything is OK.

Hey, Wiley! Was thinking about Nancy and decided to Google her and found your post! I am Mary Anne Stone and lived in your garage apt. in Memphis in the mid-70's. What a wonderful time we had...you and Nancy were so good to us, inviting us to parties and even including us on the plane to NYC for Nancy's debut at The Met in the role of Turandot. Amazing!! I loved hearing her sing from her upstairs window the melodious exercises when I was in the yard or the pool! My roommate, Lindy Ashwander, and I are still close friends and cherish the days we spent behind 1520 Central Ave.! I've lived in Nashville for 42 yrs...Lindy is in Decatur, AL. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, NANCY!! Would love to hear from you...

howardsh...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2018, 4:55:18 PM1/17/18
On Monday, July 29, 1996 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, LesTroyens wrote:
> She was a spinto during the 60's. I saw her on TV as Turandot from
> Bordeaux around 1975. She was talked about in the same breath as the
> ephemeral Souliotis and the indestructible Jones in old Opera News. Anyone
> know anything?
> ====================================
> Du bist lacherlich mit deine Pfauen!

Don't know if this page is still awake, but I heard Nancy Tatum as Santuzza in Shreveport Louisiana in the 60s with a young Placido Domingo.

mandjr...@gmail.com

Mar 6, 2018, 8:38:53 PM3/6/18
Wiley. Enjoyed meeting you and listening to Nancy's utube. Mary and Jane from chicago

volgas...@gmail.com

Dec 24, 2018, 6:23:03 PM12/24/18
Nancy and my dad were great friends both from Memphis, TN. My dad sang with Nancy Tatum. He was Bill Sherrick and he was a great Base Baritone. I saw them sing Duets when she visited the Churches my dad was minister of music at. He could have been a huge star. He sang some in Europe after WWll. He didn't like the life very much but enjoyed singing for God. He was amazing just amazing. They were good together.

wafwaf...@gmail.com

Nov 5, 2019, 8:55:01 AM11/5/19
J'ai une triste nouvelle pour les admirateurs de Nancy Tatum. J'étais son ami et son mari Willey m'a annoncé son décès le 26 octobre, elle avait 88 ans. Nancy était une femme magnifique à tous points de vue, les nombreux mails échangés en plus de 50 ans d'amitié en témoignent, une artiste originale et une vraie diva. Son chant extraordinaire était profondément original et créatif, et sa voix somptueuse, contrairement aux artistes asseptisés actuels. J'espère que vous avez tous ses deux récitals réécités chez Decca. Là on se rend compte de quelle soprano il s'agissait.
Nancy tu es à jamais dans mon coeur et ma mémoire.