recommend something like Hannibal soundtrack please?

Jan 5, 2002, 8:11:03 PM1/5/02
I found the opera song in the Hannibal movie beautiful (sorry if I am
a lame excuse for this group ;). It is called "Vide Cor Meum" by
Patrick Cassidy.

I realize that this was created just for the movie.

However, can someone recommend some similar music for me to try?

Thank you
-M

Matthew B. Tepper

Jan 5, 2002, 11:53:30 PM1/5/02
mrm0...@yahoo.com (M) wrote in news:f4ef31dc.0201051711.1c712d33
@posting.google.com:

Try one of the various compilations available, such as "Opera Goes to
Hell."

Top 3 worst UK exports: Mad-cow; Foot-and-mouth; Charlotte Church

big benz

Jan 6, 2002, 1:15:44 PM1/6/02
"Matthew B. Tepper" wrote:
> mrm0...@yahoo.com (M) wrote in news:f4ef31dc.0201051711.1c712d33
>
> > I found the opera song in the Hannibal movie beautiful (sorry if I am
> > a lame excuse for this group ;). It is called "Vide Cor Meum" by
> > Patrick Cassidy.
> >
> > I realize that this was created just for the movie.
> >
> > However, can someone recommend some similar music for me to try?

i read this and couldn't understand what you meant by "similar music".
but i might add that questions related to the "hannibal" soundtrack result
in flames on this newsgroup, for some reason. i don't understand it since
the question is completely on topic.

> Try one of the various compilations available, such as "Opera Goes to
> Hell."

i'm not quite sure what your objection is to vide cor meum because i think
that it is a beautiful song. apparently a number of other people felt the
same since cassady felt motivated to develop this into a larger work.

Jan 6, 2002, 5:11:56 PM1/6/02
big benz <big...@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:<3C389450...@mindspring.com>...

> "Matthew B. Tepper" wrote:
> > mrm0...@yahoo.com (M) wrote in news:f4ef31dc.0201051711.1c712d33
> >
> > > I found the opera song in the Hannibal movie beautiful (sorry if I am
> > > a lame excuse for this group ;). It is called "Vide Cor Meum" by
> > > Patrick Cassidy.
> > >
> > > I realize that this was created just for the movie.
> > >
> > > However, can someone recommend some similar music for me to try?
> >

> i read this and couldn't understand what you meant by "similar music".
> but i might add that questions related to the "hannibal" soundtrack result
> in flames on this newsgroup, for some reason. i don't understand it since
> the question is completely on topic.

I've never listened to opera-style music before. I am not a music
expert however I like many different types of music. I really liked
the beauty of this song and am interested in trying some other music
of the same style (not country, not jazz, not classic rock, etc.).

I guess the people who flame in this group are not happy with folk
like me who jump in and ask for a recommendation after hearing one
song they think is not worthy of "true" opera music?? Must be a
problem with one's ego...

> > Try one of the various compilations available, such as "Opera Goes to
> > Hell."

Thanks for the advice. I will look for it tonight when I am shopping
for the latest Britney Spears album.

Matthew B. Tepper

Jan 6, 2002, 5:18:18 PM1/6/02
mrm0...@yahoo.com (M) wrote in

> I've never listened to opera-style music before. I am not a music
> expert however I like many different types of music. I really liked
> the beauty of this song and am interested in trying some other music
> of the same style (not country, not jazz, not classic rock, etc.).
>
> I guess the people who flame in this group are not happy with folk
> like me who jump in and ask for a recommendation after hearing one
> song they think is not worthy of "true" opera music?? Must be a
> problem with one's ego...

Yes, the egos of the twits and chowderheads who enjoy irritating other
people with dumb and obnoxious questions. These overblown egos richly
deserve to be punctured as often as possible.

Jan 6, 2002, 10:17:03 PM1/6/02
> Yes, the egos of the twits and chowderheads who enjoy irritating other
> people with dumb and obnoxious questions. These overblown egos richly
> deserve to be punctured as often as possible.

Nice webpage. The section on rants is simply fantastic. It must be
the air in Hollywood, huh?

Jan 6, 2002, 10:29:57 PM1/6/02
> Yes, the egos of the twits and chowderheads who enjoy irritating other
> people with dumb and obnoxious questions. These overblown egos richly
> deserve to be punctured as often as possible.

Wow! Do a search on your name at http://groups.google.com. You have
quite a history on USENET!! In fact, I found the thread started by
Malcolm Oakes quite amusing. Did the FBI ever contact you?

Mark D Lew

Jan 7, 2002, 12:04:26 AM1/7/02
MRM, I thought your initial request was perfectly reasonable. I would have
recommended something, but since I've never heard "Vide cor meum", I have
no idea what to suggest.

Matthew is not such a bad guy. It's just that he has a rather large peeve
about non-classical music masquerading as classical, and often he's so
trigger-happy that he shoots sarcasm even where it isn't deserved. I was
disappointed that he didn't recognize the logic whereby a person who
understands that "Vide cor meum" isn't actual opera, but is sufficiently
intrigued by it to want to hear something that *is* real opera, would
politely asks for recommendations in an opera newsgroup. But that's our
Ducky....

As for the whole Malcolm Oakes business, I suggest you don't go there.
Matthew's vituperative personality attracts the attention of some real
nutcases, so it's easy to find people saying horrible things about him. But
that stuff is just idiot filth with no basis. I remember the feud with
Oakes (and Cate, and all the rest), and it doesn't mean shit. For you to
bring it up as if to suggest something will only make you smell like shit
as well.

If you want to criticize Matthew for his actual rudeness to you, good for
you. You'll have some reasonable arguments to make. But if you're just
looking to dredge up filth for a flamefest, you'd better hunker down for a
long fight, because you'll never win. Matthew is not the hardest hitter out
there -- not even in this group -- but no one is tougher. He can face down
flames and character assassinations from anybody without flinching. And he
never quits.

mdl
(happily imagining the innocent opera fan in some other newsgroup: "I
really enjoyed the party scene in La Traviata. I know they aren't real
courtesans, but I'm wondering if anyone can recommend...?")

big benz

Jan 7, 2002, 12:34:30 AM1/7/02
Mark D Lew wrote:

> MRM, I thought your initial request was perfectly reasonable. I would have
> recommended something, but since I've never heard "Vide cor meum", I have
> no idea what to suggest.

check it out:

http://www.universalstudios.com/cgi-bin/g2script.cgi?classics/289467/2894676962-001-12.rm

> Matthew is not such a bad guy. It's just that he has a rather large peeve
> about non-classical music masquerading as classical, and often he's so
> trigger-happy that he shoots sarcasm even where it isn't deserved. I was
> disappointed that he didn't recognize the logic whereby a person who
> understands that "Vide cor meum" isn't actual opera, but is sufficiently
> intrigued by it to want to hear something that *is* real opera, would
> politely asks for recommendations in an opera newsgroup. But that's our
> Ducky....

but if it sounds like opera, and especially if it sounds good, what's the
big deal? especially since i think that the original poster was asking for
recommendations for opera in general. i don't know about the idea of
listening to entire operas, but there are some reasonable excerpts of from
operas that would seem appropropriate to recommend.

Evelyn Vogt Gamble (Divamanque)

Jan 7, 2002, 12:27:59 AM1/7/02

"Matthew B. Tepper" wrote:

> mrm0...@yahoo.com (M) wrote in
>
> > I've never listened to opera-style music before. I am not a music
> > expert however I like many different types of music. I really liked
> > the beauty of this song and am interested in trying some other music
> > of the same style (not country, not jazz, not classic rock, etc.).
> >

> Yes, the egos of the twits and chowderheads who enjoy irritating other

> people with dumb and obnoxious questions. These overblown egos richly
> deserve to be punctured as often as possible.

Don't you think you're being a little unkind, Matthew? We
all had to start somewhere, and God knows they don't get
much music in the schools, anymore!

I don't know the music from the film (most films I wait till
they come out on video, and mostly don't bother, even
then). However, there are any number of compilations of
operatic arias available - some by a particular singer, some
designed as an introduction to opera, featuring several
voices in the various vocal categories. I can't remember
any to recommend at the moment, "M", but hopefully a clerk
in the classical department in your local record store can
help.

Brad Renwick

Jan 7, 2002, 12:55:06 AM1/7/02
While these suggestions aren't entirely similar to Vide cor meum, they're
certainly good starter operas, at least IMO they are. So here goes in no
particular order (title first, then composer):

Tosca - Puccini
La Boheme - Puccini
La Traviata - Verdi
Carmen - Bizet
Aida - Verdi
Il Trovatore - Verdi
Rigoletto - Verdi
Turandot - Puccini
Don Carlo (although it can be very long there are some absolutely beautiful and
exciting moments in it; perhaps a highlights disc?) - Verdi
I Pagliacci - Leoncavallo
Verdi Requiem (not technically an opera, although many like to call it one,
this is probably closest in style, at least in parts of it, to the Vide cor
meum and you simply can not beat the Dies Irae of this work.)

I think that's a good enough start. Others might have different and better
suggestions but if this isn't enough to whet your appetite for opera then I
don't know what will be. :)

big benz

Jan 7, 2002, 1:03:52 AM1/7/02
"Evelyn Vogt Gamble (Divamanque)" wrote:

> I don't know the music from the film (most films I wait till
> they come out on video, and mostly don't bother, even
> then).

don't bother on this one; hannibal is a pretty stupid movie. but the book is
even more stupid than the movie.

Matthew B. Tepper

Jan 7, 2002, 2:02:33 AM1/7/02
"Evelyn Vogt Gamble (Divamanque)" <evg...@earthlink.net> wrote in

> "Matthew B. Tepper" wrote:
>>
>> mrm0...@yahoo.com (M) wrote in
>>
>> > I've never listened to opera-style music before. I am not a music
>> > expert however I like many different types of music. I really liked
>> > the beauty of this song and am interested in trying some other music
>> > of the same style (not country, not jazz, not classic rock, etc.).
>> >

>> Yes, the egos of the twits and chowderheads who enjoy irritating other
>> people with dumb and obnoxious questions. These overblown egos richly
>> deserve to be punctured as often as possible.
>
> Don't you think you're being a little unkind, Matthew? We
> all had to start somewhere, and God knows they don't get
> much music in the schools, anymore!

Evelyn, you omitted the *specific* paragraph to which I was replying:

> I guess the people who flame in this group are not happy with folk
> like me who jump in and ask for a recommendation after hearing one
> song they think is not worthy of "true" opera music?? Must be a
> problem with one's ego...

Please try to quote more accurately, will you? I don't have anything
against the poster, really; but one ought to learn that tiresome personal
jabs may be returned tit for tat.

Matthew B. Tepper

Jan 7, 2002, 2:02:38 AM1/7/02
elma...@aol.comnojunk (Brad Renwick) wrote in

An excellent list, though I would not recommend _Don Carlo_ to a beginner.

I think you're right in tossing aside the request that a recommendation
have some sort of similarity to a movie pastiche made for consumption for
the goggle-eyed masses. To use my old analogy of a newsgroup devoted to
discussion of fine cheeses, a newcomer who is only familiar with Velveeta
should be gently but firmly steered to the real stuff.

Brad Renwick

Jan 7, 2002, 2:13:04 AM1/7/02
>From: "Matthew B. Tepper"
>
>An excellent list, though I would not recommend _Don Carlo_ to a beginner.

You're probably right on that. I can't help it. It's my favorite Verdi opera.

>I think you're right in tossing aside the request that a recommendation
>have some sort of similarity to a movie pastiche made for consumption for
>the goggle-eyed masses. To use my old analogy of a newsgroup devoted to
>discussion of fine cheeses, a newcomer who is only familiar with Velveeta
>should be gently but firmly steered to the real stuff.

What??? Velveeta isn't the real *good* stuff???!!!

Most of the operas I listed in my previous post are the ones that I got started
on many many years ago. So that's why I recommended them. Although, Don Carlo
and the Verdi Requiem did come later. :)

David Melnick

Jan 7, 2002, 2:59:34 AM1/7/02
Brad Renwick wrote:

> >From: "Matthew B. Tepper"
> >
> >An excellent list, though I would not recommend _Don Carlo_ to a beginner.
>
> You're probably right on that. I can't help it. It's my favorite Verdi opera.
>

> Don Carlo
> and the Verdi Requiem did come later. :)

We don't know how old the original questioner is, but Don Carlo has
a lot to recommend itself to young people. One thing about Verdi:
No matter how young or how old you are, the music has so much
humanity in it that no one is left behind.

When I was a kid my brother had a 45 of Ella giammai
m'amo . . . Dormiro sol. Somehow, we understood perfectly.

David

Mark D Lew

Jan 7, 2002, 7:32:37 AM1/7/02
In article <a1bd0g$n60$1...@saltmine.radix.net>, s...@Radix.Net (Steven Chung)
wrote:

> Yes, there are plenty of self-important bullies in rmo; but what really
> makes me sad is when one who'd never stoop to such behavior himself
> defends one of them.

Well, I didn't realize that's what I was doing.

Sure, Matthew acts like a bully some times. Lord knows some of the things
he says irritate me, too, and he and I have quarreled occasionally. But
that doesn't matter. The bottom line is he's a good man, and he's like a
brother.

If you want to call that "defending" him, then so be it.

mdl

PS. Though I don't stoop often, I wouldn't say I *never* would.

Mark D Lew

Jan 7, 2002, 7:42:51 AM1/7/02
In article <3C393366...@mindspring.com>, big benz
<big...@mindspring.com> wrote:

http://www.universalstudios.com/cgi-bin/g2script.cgi?classics/289467/2894676
962-001-12.rm

I believe this was recommended before. But I have an eight-year-old
computer which certainly can't play any sound file, and would probably
crash at the mere thought of it. (If someone posts a PDF of the score, let
me know...)

> but if it sounds like opera, and especially if it sounds good, what's the
> big deal? especially since i think that the original poster was asking for
> recommendations for opera in general. i don't know about the idea of
> listening to entire operas, but there are some reasonable excerpts of from
> operas that would seem appropropriate to recommend.

Hey, I'm with you on this. So can someone make a recommendation already?
I'm probably the least audiophile person on this group (with the possible
exception of Britta), so I can't be any help with actual titles. Perhaps
someone with a opera CD collection larger than two can help out.

Personally, I think the best introduction to opera is a recording that has
a compilation of arias or scenes, rather than a complete opera. If you
know what voice type you like, go with that, but in any case I wouldn't
recommend just one singer. When I got into opera, in 1982, I had (still
have, in fact) an album with eight tenors (Bergonzi, Corelli, Pavarotti,
Domingo, Gedda, McCracken, King, Vickers) singing various arias, and I
loved that. I also had an album with selected opera choruses.

mdl

Flambongoose

Jan 7, 2002, 8:07:37 AM1/7/02
I for one think it's a great movie and even better book.
They are especially interesting if you like the character of Hannibal Lacter
a lot. An extremely intelligent and serial killer who has taste (musical,
clothing, art, literature and so on)
"big benz" <big...@mindspring.com> schreef in bericht

Flambongoose

Jan 7, 2002, 8:10:00 AM1/7/02
Greetings, don't know if you're still looking but I recommend a collection
of Monteverdi opera arias. I think his style comes closest to the piece.
Though Monteverdi is a lot better.
"M" <mrm0...@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht

Jan 7, 2002, 11:14:30 AM1/7/02
Brad,

Thank you very much...this is what I was looking for. There isn't a
music store in my area devoted to classical and opera music and my
local Sam Goody clerk probably could recommend much.

Sorry to all those in here for starting a flamewar. Does this group
have a FAQ?

Jan 7, 2002, 11:23:55 AM1/7/02
my sincere apologies to all (no sarcasm here)

Aaron Draschen

Jan 7, 2002, 11:18:28 AM1/7/02

"Matthew B. Tepper" <oy兀earthlink.net> wrote in message

> "Evelyn Vogt Gamble (Divamanque)" <evg...@earthlink.net> wrote in
>
> > "Matthew B. Tepper" wrote:
> >>
> >> mrm0...@yahoo.com (M) wrote in

> >> Yes, the egos of the twits and chowderheads who enjoy irritating other
> >> people with dumb and obnoxious questions. These overblown egos richly
> >> deserve to be punctured as often as possible.
> >
> > Don't you think you're being a little unkind, Matthew? We
> > all had to start somewhere, and God knows they don't get
> > much music in the schools, anymore!
>
> Evelyn, you omitted the *specific* paragraph to which I was replying:
>
> > I guess the people who flame in this group are not happy with folk
> > like me who jump in and ask for a recommendation after hearing one
> > song they think is not worthy of "true" opera music?? Must be a
> > problem with one's ego...
>
> Please try to quote more accurately, will you? I don't have anything
> against the poster, really; but one ought to learn that tiresome personal
> jabs may be returned tit for tat.

That's disingenuous. Your first response to that poster's reasonable request
was:

Try one of the various compilations available, such as "Opera Goes to
Hell."

It was just as snotty as your second one.
Aaron

Aaron Draschen

Jan 7, 2002, 11:38:20 AM1/7/02

"M" <mrm0...@yahoo.com> wrote

> Sorry to all those in here for starting a flamewar. Does this group
> have a FAQ?

No apology necessary. It wasn't you who started a flame war.
Aaron

Ancona21

Jan 7, 2002, 1:41:36 PM1/7/02
<< When I was a kid my brother had a 45 of Ella giammai
m'amo . . . Dormiro sol. Somehow, we understood perfectly. >>

Did you and your brother have matching Hall Monitor berets?

Ancona

Matthew B. Tepper

Jan 7, 2002, 3:58:59 PM1/7/02
anco...@aol.com (Ancona21) wrote in news:20020107134136.15098.00000329@mb-
ba.aol.com:

><< When I was a kid my brother had a 45 of Ella giammai
> m'amo . . . Dormiro sol. Somehow, we understood perfectly. >>
>
> Did you and your brother have matching Hall Monitor berets?

More to the point, do they sit down together to watch "Frasier" every week?

Matthew B. Tepper

Jan 7, 2002, 3:59:02 PM1/7/02
"Aaron Draschen" <adra...@mtneer.net> wrote in

You may think so; but I intended it as an absolutely truthful reply to the
original question. It is a CD which contains dramatic and intense opera
excerpts, and I can imagine that somebody who likes movies about devilish
people such as Hannibal Whatshisname might find this a good point of entry.

Here is the front cover:

http://216.86.32.226/2001.04.01/March_29,_2001_(7).jpg

And here is the back cover:

http://216.86.32.226/2001.04.01/March_29,_2001_(8).jpg

Aaron Draschen

Jan 7, 2002, 5:34:19 PM1/7/02

"Matthew B. Tepper" <oy兀earthlink.net> wrote

> You may think so; but I intended it as an absolutely truthful reply to the

> original question. It is a CD which contains dramatic and intense opera
> excerpts, and I can imagine that somebody who likes movies about devilish
> people such as Hannibal Whatshisname might find this a good point of
entry.

> Here is the front cover:>

Thank you. I expect that without that context a novice might be unlikely to
interpret your response as helpful and friendly. In any case, my apologies.
Aaron

big benz

Jan 7, 2002, 5:57:32 PM1/7/02
Mark D Lew wrote:

> Sure, Matthew acts like a bully some times. Lord knows some of the things
> he says irritate me, too, and he and I have quarreled occasionally. But
> that doesn't matter. The bottom line is he's a good man, and he's like a
> brother.

i've never personally felt bullied by matthew so i don't see what the issue
is here. but then i'm a brother from the 'hood, where people are living real,
and the streets are like vietnam. so i guess that's why stuff posted here
doesn't fade me the way it seems to do for others.

matthew does have his "issues" with respect to church, bocelli, and other
reputed "enemies" of classical music. it strikes me as being a bit obsessive,
i tend to not agree with them, but whatever, it's really no big deal.

big benz

Jan 7, 2002, 6:05:09 PM1/7/02
Flambongoose wrote:

> I for one think it's a great movie and even better book.
> They are especially interesting if you like the character of Hannibal Lacter
> a lot. An extremely intelligent and serial killer who has taste (musical,
> clothing, art, literature and so on)

the fine arts shtick was taken to the extent where it was simply affected
and overdone. lector liked the harpsichord because of it's "precision of
sound"??? as though you can't get precise sound from a piano? i think that
i understand what it is that harris was trying to say but the actual
expression of his idea was ridiculous. then there was verger's lesbian
sister - the movie did well to drop that stuff which never really seemed
particularly relevant to the story anyway. then there was starling, who
felt that she could understand verger wanting to kill lector, but that the
way that he might kill lector reminded her of the lambs being slaughted so
she felt compelled to save lector. right...and then there was the mutual
group therapy session in which lector was talking about how he missed his
sister and starling how she missed her father.

please! this, in your mind, is the stuff of great literature and cinema?
you gotta be kidding.

Evelyn Vogt Gamble (Divamanque)

Jan 7, 2002, 7:25:54 PM1/7/02
I'd hardly classify Matthew as a "bully", Mr. Chung. He may
have a short fuse when references to popular counterfeits of
classical music come up, but his musical background is
extensive, and he generally knows what he's talking about.

Steven Chung wrote:

> Yes, there are plenty of self-important bullies in rmo; but what really
> makes me sad is when one who'd never stoop to such behavior himself
> defends one of them.
>

> S.

Matthew B. Tepper

Jan 7, 2002, 7:59:27 PM1/7/02
"Aaron Draschen" <adra...@mtneer.net> wrote in

No apology necessary; when you pointed it out, I realized that my response
could very well read as though I were telling somebody to go to hell. That
was not my intention. My intention (initially, anyway) was to give a very
brief and potentially useful answer without giving myself the opportunity
to complain and complain and complain. Like that ever works!

Matthew B. Tepper

Jan 7, 2002, 7:59:30 PM1/7/02

> i've never personally felt bullied by matthew so i don't see what the
> issue is here. but then i'm a brother from the 'hood, where people are
> living real, and the streets are like vietnam. so i guess that's why
> stuff posted here doesn't fade me the way it seems to do for others.
>
> matthew does have his "issues" with respect to church, bocelli, and
> other reputed "enemies" of classical music. it strikes me as being a
> bit obsessive, i tend to not agree with them, but whatever, it's really
> no big deal.

My obsessions really are with the "positive" things in classical music; but
the negative ones have become so overwhelmingly influential that it's often
difficult to see the forest for the rubbish heaps.

I'm glad you don't feel "bullied" by me. I certainly don't have anything
against you personally.

Ancona21

Jan 7, 2002, 8:18:35 PM1/7/02
<< More to the point, do they sit down together to watch "Frasier" every week?

Nice catch.

Ancona

big benz

Jan 7, 2002, 8:37:27 PM1/7/02
"Matthew B. Tepper" wrote:

> I'm glad you don't feel "bullied" by me. I certainly don't have anything
> against you personally.

this discussion is one of those things (which seems to happen occasionally
on this newsgroup) where a huge, big deal is made of really trivial stuff.

for my own part, i'm basically open to anything that people want to write.
if i don't like it, i've always got the option to not read it.

i pretty much only draw the line when you have guys issue implied or direct
challenges of phyical confrontation and violence. it's so easy to make such
"bold" threats from the safety of the internet that that kind of stuff can
quickly get out of hand.

Kimberly

Jan 8, 2002, 2:59:32 AM1/8/02
mrm0...@yahoo.com (M) wrote in message news:<f4ef31dc.02010...@posting.google.com>...

> I found the opera song in the Hannibal movie beautiful (sorry if I am
> a lame excuse for this group ;). It is called "Vide Cor Meum" by
> Patrick Cassidy.
>
> I realize that this was created just for the movie.
>
> However, can someone recommend some similar music for me to try?
>
> Thank you
> -M

I listened to the sound clip that was provided later down the string,
and it reminds me of John Tavner a little, but the exact piece escapes
me right now. Any ideas, anyone?
Kimberly

Mark D Lew

Jan 8, 2002, 9:36:30 AM1/8/02
In article <f4ef31dc.02010...@posting.google.com>,
mrm0...@yahoo.com (M) wrote:

> Sorry to all those in here for starting a flamewar.

Nah, don't sweat it. This is just everyday roughhousing around here.
Certainly not a flamewar.

> Does this group
> have a FAQ?

No. (Or rather, yes, we do have some FAQ's, but there's no list of A's to
the Q's.)

mdl
(who was genuinely uncertain whether "Opera goes to Hell" was a real album)

Dan

Jan 12, 2002, 1:14:35 AM1/12/02
I can't believe how rude people were to you!

Well, to reccomend something that sounds like that is rather hard.
You might like movie soundtracks (ie. Lord of the Rings has a good choral
movie soundtrack)
For operatic "style" you might want to try Verdi's Requiem, I saw somebody
mention it already, though not an opera it's close, and dramatic and
beautiful all in one. Then there's Faure's Requiem which is very peaceful
and beautiful with children's chorus and sounds very angelic.
You could also try Carmina Burana by Orff, again more of a cantata, not an
opera, but still sung and choral and good.

Opera by Puccini is closer in style to modern movie music than something by
Verdi in cases. Turandot or Boheme, or Tosca (for the arias). You should get
a highlights CD of different operas and see what best suits you. You might
like Mozart the best (like the aria used in the Shawshank Redemption from
the Marriage of Figaro).So get a sampler-type thing, it's not bad to have
around the house anyways for who knows what occasion, then move from there.

I would have better reccomendations if I knew Vide Cor Meum a bit more than
by hearing it once. If you have more questions please ask away and I'll try
to help as best I can.

Dan