[rec.music.misc,cd] Musical Mail Order (Monthly Post)

David Datta

Nov 3, 1991, 9:38:26 PM11/3/91
Archive-name: music-mail-order

From: <be...@tcs.com> (H.W. Neff)
From: <da...@cs.uwp.edu> (Dave Datta)

* Musical Telephone directory/address list. Version 11-91

Maintained by
<be...@tcs.com> (H.W. Neff)
<da...@cs.uwp.edu> (Dave Datta)

Companies on this list were submitted by other people accessing
USENET, If you know of a company you would like added, please mail
one of the authors. THERE ARE NO QUALIFICATIONS TO BE PUT ON THIS
LIST AND THE AUTHORS ASSUME NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR BAD SERVICE OR
OTHER PROBLEMS WITH ANY OF THE FOLLOWING COMPANIES:

AUDIO HOUSE CD CLUB +1 313 655 8639 (fax +1 313 655 6817)
4304 Brayan Dr.
Swartz Creek, MI 48473 (USA)
Used CDs for $6.99-$9.00 some New CDs for $10.00-$12.00

AUDIOPHILE IMPORTS +1 301 484 7752 (fax +1 301 484 6831 [24 hours])
Mike Kermisch
PO Box 32247
Pikesville, MD 21208 (USA)
Specializing in jazz and fusion recordings. Domestic, European, and
Japanese releases. Compact discs, albums, video, and laser discs.
World-wide mail order.

BLACK SWAN RECORDS +1 604 734 2828
2936 W. 4th Ave.,
Vancouver, BC, V6K 1R2
"... specialize in non-mainstream tunes, jazz, folk, world/ethnic
music, etc. And for the last year or so, we've been spinning off a
fairly healthy mailorder business."

BMG MUSIC CLUB +1 317 542 0414
Customer Service
P. O. Box 91418
Indianapolis, Indiana 46291 (USA)
1-800-WAMADEUS and ask about your account.

BOSE EXPRESS MUSIC 1 800 233-6357
50 W. 17th St.
NYC, NY 10010
(Wide selection of CDs in all genres. Catalog price [$6.00 per year
including updates] applied to first order. They advertise that
anything currently listed in the Schwann publictions [Opus, Spectrum,
etc.] is available from them. Shipping - $3.65 any quantity.)

CBS MUSIC CLUB +1 812 466 8125 and +1 800 457 0500
Customer Service
1400 North Fruitridge Ave.
Terre Haute, IN 47811-1211 (USA)

THE CD BAR +1 416 977 6863 (fax +1 416 977 6865, also phone)
281 Queen St W.
Toronto, Ontario M5V 1Z9 (CANADA)
Imports from around the world, will ship anywhere. Visa, Mastercard,
no COD (no AMEX) checks (but you have to wait for it to clear.)

CD DIRECT +1 800 695 CDCD

CD RESEARCH
407 G St. Ste. 3
Davis, CA 95616
1-916-756-0499
Specialize in hard to find or locate CD's of any kind. If you can't
find it, they'll do the hunting for you.

CD'S WE BEE
S. 3420 Whipple Street
Spokane, WA 99206-6308
Phone: 509/922-7378
We specialize in LOW prices on all kinds of CD's: mainstreams,
imports, independent labels, CD singles, cutouts, deletions,
overstocks, and your basic "rare necessities". Price quotes and
availability information may be obtained by e-mail to: Spike Pierson
<spi...@tau-ceti.isc-br.com>.

CD WAREHOUSE
456 E. El Camino Real
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
1-408-730-0991
1-800-899-1017 (Outside California)
CDW stocks over 30,000 discs and can special order CDs for you.
Note: They will sell you import CD's from stock, but will not
special order them, due to inability to predict delivery times
and availability.

COMPACT DISC CONNECTION
1016 E. El Camino #322
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Modem: +1 408 730 9015
Voice & Fax: +1 408 733 0801
No voice orders. Buad rate is upto 2400. Over 42,000 CD's listed.
Service is Very Good. CD's Shiped by UPS. I think he only send to USA
address though. Accepts VISA/MC Shipping is $3

COMPACT MUSIC
1105 Webster DR
Sandy, Utah 84094-3151
Phone: +1 801 571 9767
Used CD's... Stocklist mothly for 6.99 bi-weekly for 12.99 Will order
from wholesale catalog of 20,000 CD's for wholesale + $1.50

CRITIC'S CHOICE COMPACT DISCS, INC. 1 800 447-2223
P.O. Box 2349
Cambridge, MA 02238
(Wide selection of well-known and obscure classical labels. Free
catalog. Shipping - 50 cents per CD: min. $1.50, max $12.00)

DISCS & DATS +1 416 432 2835
25 Thickson Road North
Whitby, Ontario L1N 8W8 (CANADA)

ECHODISCS
P.O. Box 224
Eagle, PA 19480

ETHEL ENTERPRISES 1 704 837-3741 (orders only - 1 800 648-2042)
P.O. Box 1069
Murphy, NC 28906
(Good selection of recent obscure classical releases and some
well-known labels. Free monthly catalog. Shipping - $3.25 east of
Mississippi, $4.00 west for any quantity. Office hours - 8AM to 1PM
& 4PM to 7PM eastern Monday through Friday)

ESPRIT 011-44-(0)474-567900
011-44-(0)474-534535
fax 011-44-(0)474-537137
21 Stone Street
Gravesend
Kent DA11 0NP (UK)
<<GMT>> hours: Weekdays 9am-9pm, Saturday 9am-6pm, Sunday 12-6pm

FLYING LEAP
6808 Madison Dr.
Indpls. IN. 46227
or sso...@silver.ucs.indiana.edu
Buy and sell new and used CDs/Cassettes and LPs.

GOLDMINE +1 715 445 2214 (fax +1 715 445 4087)
700 E. State Street
Iola, WI 54990 (USA)
Bi-weekly publication about the size of Rolling Stone. Contents: all
newsprint, usually with a featured artist on the cover. It features
major articles and discographies on featured artists, their
collectible items, etc. Excellent section of reviews of both new and
re-issues. The majority is devoted to dealer advertisements, listings
of their wares, auctions of colloctions, classified ads...
Subscriptions cost US$35 for 1 year. (other rates available.)

HAVERSTICK AND BALLYK +1 800 222 6872
2186 Jackson Keller
San Antonio, TX 78213
classical CD's. Catalog the size of Noteworthy's but all classical.

HMV RECORDS
150 Oxford Street
London W1 (UK)

INTERNATIONAL CD EXCHANGE (ICE) +1 213 395 0874
P.O. Box 3043
Santa Monica, CA 90403 (USA)
Monthly newsletter Approx. 8-10 pages. Contents: New and upcoming CD
releases, Watchdog column about defective discs, letters/ombudsman.
13 Issues: US$24 (North America 1st class), US$30 (overseas air-mail)
Sample Issue US$2.50 (anywhere-airmail) <NO CREDIT-CARDS>

INTERNATIONAL CD +1 215 233 0638 (fax +1 215 233 0421)
216 S. York Road
Hatboro, PA 19040 (USA)

KEY SOUNDS +1 800 869 7978 (fax +1 415 824 1660)
P.O. Box 931
Half Moon Bay, CA 94019-0931 (USA)
e-mail: key_s...@cup.portal.com
...!portal!cup.portal.com!key_sounds
A source for hard-to-get CD's and LP's.
Payment: AMEX, COD, check. Prices include shipping in the
mainland USA. California residents, please add 6.25% sales
tax. If outside the USA, please call or write for shipping
costs. NO PARALLEL IMPORTS TO THE US.

LADYSLIPPER, INC.
P. O. Box 3124-R
Durham, NC 27715
Mail-order catalogue; HUGE selection of primarily women's music
(U. S. & international) that is very hard to find elsewhere.
Not discounted.

LARSON, DOUG
62 Crane St.
Caldwell, NJ 07006
1-201-226-6332
Call after 4pm EST Mon-Sat and after 11am EST on Sun.
(catalog free for the asking)
Doug specializes in hard to find Progressive Rock CD's and LP's
from around the world.

LIGHTSPEED MAIL ORDER 011 44 (0)836 780285
P.O Box 31
Purley
Surrey CR2 1XH (UK)
Weekdays 4pm-7.30pm <<GMT>>
They offer a selection of european releases + lots of promos
From all around the world. "CATALOGUE/LISTS: All group
catalogues/stock lists have been updated recently. For major
artists some of these now run to 8 pages or more. Overseas
customers please send 2 IRCs for EACH list required..."
Their order turnaround time is acceptable; a couple of weeks
within Europe.

MICRO MARKETPLACE
9450 Scranton Rd.
Suite 154
San Diego, CA 92121
Modem: +1 619 484 0665
List of only 32,000 CD's.... Software is not very good. Some prices
are higher then Compact Disc Connection, some lower. I found prices
about $4.50 lower on some CD's .. Shipping is $4. Accepts VISA/MC

MOSS MUSIC GROUP 1 201 489-6313 (fax 1 201 489-7893)
75 Essex St.
Hackensack, NJ 07601
(Complete selection of Vox, Allegretto, Stradivari and other related labels
[mostly classical]. CDs and Tapes. Free catalogs.)

MUSIC/NEW HAMPSHIRE +1 800 234 8458 (fax +1 603 525 4423)
Bulletin Board Service: +1 603 525 4483
E-Mail [300 or 1200 baud, 8 data bits, no parity, one stop bit]
(USA)

MUSICAL HERITAGE SOCIETY and JAZZ HERITAGE SOCIETY
1710 Highway 35
Ocean, NJ 07712
A "club" similar to BMG & CBS, but everything they carry seems
to be on their own label. Not sure whether it's identical
to what's sold in stores or not. Classical & jazz.

NEW ENGLAND CD (fax +1 617 776 2514)
105 Charles Street, #359
Boston, MA 02114 (USA)
Source for promos/singles.

NOTEWORTHY +1 800 648 7972 [8:30am-6:00pm EST] (fax +1 603 833 9220)
Customer Service +1 603 881 5729 [9:00am-4:00pm EST]
New Release Hotline +1 603 883 1914
17 Airport Road
Nashua, NH 03063 (USA)
A CD Only, Credit Card Only mail order house (not a "club").
No minimum purchase obligation. Call for free registration
and catalog.

RANJIT PADMANABHAN "ran...@synopsys.com" (fax +1 408 255 6077)
566 Crystalberry Terrace
San Jose, CA 95129 (USA)
*** MAIL ORDER ONLY ***
"Specialize in import CDs pertaining to PROGRESSIVE ROCK and ELECTRONIC
MUSIC, but have access to a pretty wide variety of imports. A current
price list is available upon request by e-mail. In addition, you can ask
to be added to an e-mailing list by which you will receive CD sale lists,
with new listings every 4 - 6 weeks"

PHANTOM RECORDS +61 2 264-8992 Fax: +61 2 267-5242
375 Pitt Street
Sydney NSW 2000
Australia

PLAYING BY EAR
5615 Belair Rd.
Baltimore, MD 21206
301-488-5513
M/F 12-8
Specializing in exotic/progressive/new age/jazz music from around
the world. Will special order. Rare vinyl, too.

PROGRESSIVE RECORDS (US OFFICE)
103 Decoto Rd. Suite C
Union City, CA 94587
USA
Tel: 1-510-487-7888
Fax: 1-510-487-1091
They specialize in bringing you classic progressive rock, symphonic,
and electronic music from around the world. They are also, an up and
coming Progressive label. So far they have two releases to their name,
Aragon and Visible Wind, and have several more planned for the coming year.
(Catalogs are free for the asking.)
Progressive has recently merged with Q records in London, England, to
become a larger Progressive Records. So look out for much much more to
come, from the progressive rock scene in Europe.

PROGRESSIVE RECORDS (LONDON OFFICE)
17/19 Durham Row
London E1 ONP
England
Tel: 071-265-9576
Fax: 071-790-1265

RECORD COLLECTOR
43/45 St. Mary's Road
Ealing
London W5 5RQ (UK)
Subscription rate: USA, Airmail; USD 110. (?) Monthly publication,
approx. 200 pages, Articles, reviews, discographies, dealer ads,
personal ads...

ROUNDUP RECORDS
PO Box 154
N. Cambridge, MA 02140
Affiliated with Rounder, they put out a great monthly catalog
with lots of obscure music, cut-outs, warehouse discoveries,
etc.

ROUND SOUNDS
(Ed Wilson)
419 North Pacific Coast Highway
Redondo Beach, CA 90277
(213) 372-3477
(catalog free for the asking)

RRRECORDS
151 Paige St.
Lowell, MA 01852
Mail-order extreme-alternative and in particular Industrial
(not Industrial Dance) music.

SKR CLASSICAL 1 313 995-5051
539 E. Liberty St.
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
(Wide selection of Classical CDs and tapes. Will order any domestically
available CD if not in stock.)

SOUND CITY 2000, INC.
P.O. Box 22149
Portland, OR 97222
(503) 654-2196
Formerly Simmons Corp. and Overseas Shopper, they merged.
A decent selection of Japanese, UK, and German CDs at fair
prices. Order turnaround time isn't the best though, but
luck with most importers depends on their overseas sources.

SPINDLE RECORDS +1 613 228 0001
PO Box 817, Station B
Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5P9 (CANADA)

SPINDLE RECORDS +1 503 652 7572 (orders and info)
P.O. Box 22354
Portland, OR 97222 (USA)
"Canadian, European and Japanese CDs by Mail"

TOWER RECORDS
1 Piccadilly Circus
London W1 (UK)

USED CD SERVER (email)
Email to: used-mus...@cs.ucsb.edu
Posted weekly (on Mondays), this is a database of CD's, cassettes,
and (gasp) LP's for sale or trade. Use the request HELP for
complete details.
When you send a message to the server, the command should be the
first word on the "Subject:" line (it can be upper or lower case).

VIRGIN RECORDS
Oxford Street at Tottenham Court Road
London W1 (UK)

WATERFRONT +61 2 211-0073 Fax: +61 2 281-5939
770 George Street
Sydney NSW 2000
Australia

WAYSIDE
PO Box 6517
Wheaton, MD 20906-0517 (USA)
has a free catalog that lists many imported and domestic
independent cds, lps and some tapes and includes short reviews or
listings of session musicians, and connections to other bands and
artists. Most of the material is progressive rock, jazz and
electronics. They also ships outside the USA and have some
releases on their own label Cuneiform. Delivery time is usually
pretty good because all items listed are in stock, not special
ordered to fill pending orders.

*END*

--
-Dave da...@cs.uwp.edu. Please note the new address!!!!
The music FTP archives have been moved!!! the new address is cs.uwp.edu

Gary L Dare

Nov 3, 1991, 10:59:34 PM11/3/91
In article <41...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu> eons ago, Dave Datta wrote:

>I just got back from Canada (Toronto) while I was there I noticed
>something that I don't think is widely known. There are a lot of
>Canadian releases that are otherwise unavailable.

This edition is aimed for shoppers going to, coming from, or passing
through Canada around American Thanksgiving, Christmas giving for the
real music fans on your shopping list, closing favours outstanding,
etc. Please forgive the Rio Grande'-to-North Pole orientation of this
article. (-;

Posting to Soc.culture.canada at the request of its founder, Earl Smith.
Follow-ups as noted above, PLEASE!

WARNING: it's long ...

Here is the latest list of rock albums you would want to pick up in
Canada if you are a dedicated fan of any of these artists or are just
an imports fan. These albums would also be available for U.S. buyers
from Overseas Shopper, Spindle Music or Black Swan (email access via:
dad...@cs.ubc.ca) (Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with *any* of them)
most of whom charge a hefty price compared to buying it just retail up
north, so do see if any friends are travelling around first.

The list price of a mainline CD in Canada hovers around C$20-25.00
($16-19 budget line), although you can find sales in the order of
C$10-18 respectively. The sales are more frequent both on and off the
current charts, and sale discounts in Canada are deeper than in the
U.S., which moderates the much higher (ridiculous!) list prices a bit.
Sometimes, you could get find a regular CD for cheaper even with the
exchange rate and sales tax rebates.

A fairly long list appears in alphabetical order after this ^L page
break. International artists are first, followed by some Canadian
domestic artist suggestions for the curious (some have had brief hits
in the U.S. or abroad, but have more substantial domestic careers and
often some kind of cult following outside). Various nonclemature and
advice at the end of this article.

RSVP with updates or post to Rec.music.cd, and thanks in advance.

KATE BUSH: THIS WOMAN'S WORK (EMI, boxed set)

These *WERE* the British pressing discs; the Canadian domestic release
is terminated. )-; This boxed set had been reported on Rec.music.gaffa
for prices down to around C$100 - 120 (exchange rate is ~0.86).

KATE BUSH: THE SENSUAL WORLD (EMI/Capitol Canada)

From: Andreas Bjorklind <a...@IDA.LiU.SE>

"Kate Bush's latest album, "The Sensual World", is also different from
both US and UK versions. The Canadian version is a picture disk, with
the so called "sand-though-the-fingers" picture pressed on the CD. The
UK and US versions aren't pic disks at all..."

BRUCE COCKBURN: LIVE (True North (Epic/CBS))

This is from the Big World tour (bass/Chapman stick, drums, guitar,
plus assorted other instruments that Bruce could get his hands on).
14 tracks (2 records on 1 CD). Very interesting new arrangements!

I do miss Hugh Marsh on violin, but his brother Fergus is on the bass
and Chapman stick on this one. It is now out on Gold Castle at full
price in the US, but might be hard to find in some areas; you might
find it on sale at a better price up north if you're lucky. (I did!)
Also, the Canadian editions have lyrics in French.

BRUCE COCKBURN: WAITING FOR A MIRACLE (True North (Epic/CBS))

This is the vaunted 33-track (11 bonus cuts!) collection; the record
versions are identical in the US and Canada, but the US CD is a single
disc. )-; Numerous remakes, two new songs, some live stuff from the
"Rumours of Glory" concert video. Complete with booklet and lyrics.

BRUCE COCKBURN: CIRCLES IN THE STREAM (True North (Epic/CBS))

Cockburn's first live album, recorded at Toronto's Massey Hall in
the mid-70's. Great sound quality, partly due to a simple setup.
Performace: superb! CONTRARY TO PREVIOUS POSTINGS, THIS ALBUM IS NOT
PRESENTLY ON CD.

LEONARD COHEN:

From: Mike Godfrey (mi...@turing.toronto.edu)

Just as a by-the-way, the following Leonard Cohen albums are available in
Canada on CD, most at "budget-line" prices:

Songs of Leonard Cohen
Songs From a Room
Songs of Love and Hate
The Best of Leonard Cohen
Death of a Ladies' Man
Recent Songs
Various Positions
I'm Your Man

[Help me, please, Cohen fans; just which one of these are available
globally, only in North America, and only in Canada? Also, what about
the "Live" album recorded in Paris with Leonard on the cover looking
like an inmate on Devil's Island?

A friend lives a few doors down from Cohen's Plateau Mont Royal pad up
in Montreal, but it would be pushing it to ask her to ring his doorbell
and check off the list! -- gld]

COWBOY JUNKIES: WHITES OFF EARTH NOW! (BMG/RCA)

Independant label debut, now on CD as BMG/RCA major release since
Spring '91 worldwide. This one is bluesy as their major label debut
"Trinity Sessions" is folk/country; same single-mike recording method.
*It might be easier to find up north, though.

THE CURE: "CONCERT: THE CURE LIVE" (Elektra/Fiction)

The CD can be found or ordered as a UK import (at inflated prices; see
below), and was issued as a domestic record and cassette. The tape
can be easily found around town, and this version has a second live
side called "Curiousity" just like on their UK home label, Fiction.
(Thanks to Mark LaForge for this info.)

CHRIS DE BURGH (A&M): "HIGH ON EMOTION - LIVE IN DUBLIN" (no US release),
"BEST MOVES", "SPARK TO A FLAME", and back-catalogue

The early albums of Chris' Irish folk-minstrel oriented stuff are
available, as are the EP "A Child is Born" and "Best Moves", a best-of
collection. A newer, 16-track compilation called "Spark to a Flame"
was released in late 1989, but I have not had a chance to check it
out. Only two tracks overlap between the two collections. A live
album is now out, and should be found in Canada where Chris is big.

EURYTHMICS: GREATEST HITS (Polygram)

The Canadian version is the UK version with 18 tracks vs. 14 tracks on
the U.S. disc. However, "King and Queen of America" is missing from
this European pressing. Also, the Canadian/UK/Europe version features
slightly longer tracks than the US version, but many are still edited
down from the original album versions.

THE GUESS WHO: TRACK RECORD (RCA/BMG)

This is a 120 minute, double CD compilation comprising the albums
"Best of", "Best of, Vol. 2" (deleted) and numerous other singles and
B-sides released by THE classic Canadian rock group of all time. Also
one unreleased cut. Remastered in May of 1988, in Toronto, and not as
brittle sounding as the single-disc RCA "Best of..." (at least for my
tastes, anyways), which was re-mastered in 1987 in New York City.

THE GUESS WHO: BEST OF ... LIVE

A reunion concert from 1983 tour done by original Guess Who members
Cummings, Bachman, Kale and Petersen, recorded at Toronto's CNE fair.
This album was originally telemarketed via TV ads, but copies can now
be found in stores (and occasionally US import bins). Not on a major
label, but that same great music.

THE HOUSEMARTINS: NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL QUITE GOOD (Go! Discs; AGOCD11)

This one is a long CD, too. 24 tracks, 78:38. (Thanks to Dave Datta.)

NIK KERSHAW: HUMAN RACING, THE RIDDLE

From: ma...@geovision.uucp (Mark Baker)

>OK, here we go. I happen to have both of these on CD at my place
>right now (no, you can't have the address). I picked both of them up
>used ($12CDN) at a store in Toronto several years ago. I have seen
>both available as Canadian imports in Toronto (but not for several
>years now) for about $35CDN each.
>
>The CD I haven't seen anywhere is "Radio Musicola" which, while not
>as good as his two previous albums, is a lot of fun.

K.D. LANG AND THE RE-CLINES: A TRULY WESTERN EXPERIENCE

k.d. lang's first album was a Canadian domestic release; the vinyl
surely exists, but I'm not sure about the CD. Wilder and crazier than
the pure-country stuff she does now. She still wore the straw hat,
grannie dress, wire-rim geek glasses and work boots back then. Her
major label debut, "Angel with a Lariat" did not rock like this one
despite presence of Dave Edmunds as producer, as she decided to go to
country rather than to rock (country punk).

MARILLION: "REAL TO REEL" (Capitol Canada)

One half recorded at Le Spectrum club in Montreal and the other at
The Lyceum, London (UK). Six (6) songs in all, but full album length.
(Another live, the "Brief Encounter" live EP is a US-only release.)

MEN WITHOUT HATS: FOLK OF THE 80's (debut EP)

This one is their independant label debut. One member split to form
his own group soon after, Rational Youth, a much tougher-sounding
synthesizer group with guitar. Pretty sure about the vinyl, not so
about CD.

MEN WITHOUT HATS: RHYTHM OF YOUTH and FOLK OF THE 80'S PART 3

The first one was their major label debut. Dave Datta said that these
CDs were never released in the US (he has a German pressing of "Folk
3" on Statik). (Thus, "Folk of the 80s, Part III", was their third
album and hence the title.)

MEN WITHOUT HATS: SIDEWAYS

From: la...@triton.unm.edu (Lazlo Nibble)
Newsgroups: rec.music.misc

"You're lucky enough to be close to Canada to hear it, but you'll have
to cross the border to *buy* it. My understanding of the situation is
that Mercury/Polygram aren't going to release the album in the US. :-("

NEW ORDER: various CD singles

From: Dwight A Lee / l...@chsun1.uchicago.edu / T90...@niucs.BITNET

>There are a number of New Order cd singles whose Canadian versions
>have more tracks than their American counterparts - or even UK
>counterparts. Unfortunately I don't have more information about
>this, as it's all I can remember from looking at a friend's record
>collection, which is fraught with zillions of New Order compact
>discs. More information is probably available via the JD/NO mailing
>list, info in pub/ceremony on chsun1.uchicago.edu (128.135.12.60).

THE POGUES: POGUETRY IN MOTION (EP) (MCA - Canada)
THE POGUES: RUM, SODOMY AND THE LASH -- deleted! --

The Canadian version of "Rum..." didn't have the bonus track from
the UK disc, "A Pistol for Paddy Garcia", which wasn't part of the
original recording sessions (it was produced by Philip Chevron, not
Elvis Costello). The British release is now being imported and put
up at inflated prices (see below).

TOM COCHRANE & RED RIDER: THE SYMPHONY SESSIONS (Capitol-EMI)

Recorded with the Edmonton Symphony in Edmonton, Alberta. Lots of
old Red Ryder hits and newer stuff by TC&RR; CD contains two bonus
tracks, including the single "Big League" from their first BMG album.
(Did they get dropped by BMG? EMI was their *old* label ...)

RUSH: EXIT, STAGE LEFT (Anthem, ADD)

The Canadian album is marked "ADD", as opposed to the "AAD" Mercury
version. A missing cut, "Passage to Bangkok" has not been restored.

JANE SIBERRY: debut album (?)

This started to appear on CD this summer (1990), on a very small
independant (not Duke Street, her home label). May be hard to find as
its printing runs are small, so check the stores or call exporters.

JANE SIBERRY: THE WALKING (Duke Street)

The domestic pressing on Duke Street is 5:01 longer than the edited
US release. The American release is a revision authorised by Jane,
while the Canadian version is the original release.

THE SMITHS: A HATFUL OF HOLLOW (Rough Trade/Sire Canada)

The Smiths released an alternate to their debut album, The Smiths,
as fans, critics and the band themselves felt the new studio versions
of some hit singles weren't up to the originals. Thus, the single
mixes and some Peel Sessions stuff replaced the redone numbers. Funny
that this one wasn't released in the US. (I'm told that the CD is an
"import" == "price gouge", but records and cassettes are domestic.)

STYLE COUNCIL: AT HOME AND ABROAD

Live album from 1987, it was widely available in Montreal at the
time that I lived there. Liz Bonesteel (ebo...@bbn.com) reported
that the CD of this album is nowhere to be found in the USA, although
I have an American Geffen pressing of the vinyl.

TIN MACHINE: TIN MACHINE II

The crotches of the Greek kuros statues on the cover are not defaced as
in the U.S. release (also on the band's drum kit -- ABC In Concert '91).

ULTRAVOX: MONUMENT (Chrysalis UK)

Live soundtrack from a 1983 video. Only 5 cuts over 30 minutes,
but excellent playing and sound quality.

ROGER WATERS: THE PROS & CONS OF HITCH-HIKING (Columbia)

The Canadian CD has the original cover, no censorship. (i.e., the
nude female form without the black rectangle to look like a miniskirt
covering her posterior).

Hey, 2 Live Crew was acquitted, so maybe Sony will fix this album's
US cover (and maybe remaster WYWH and The Wall, too!).

XTC: SKYLARKING (Virgin Canada), and the rest of the XTC catalogue.

The Canadian version features all songs from the original album as
released, PLUS the "Dear God" single (The UK and US CDs have one song,
"Mermaid Smiles", bumped for the sake of "Dear God"). It disappeared
for a short while, but is now back.

Mark LaForge (mark.l...@canremote.uucp) reports that Virgin
Canada discontinued this pressing of "Skylarking" for 6 months, but
have re-released it as budget (C$18-20) rather than mainline (C$21-23).

The ENTIRE XTC back-catalogue is available in Canada, with the early
albums now appearing on Virgin Canada budget lines rather than Virgin.
Geffen will be releasing these in the US soon, so I'll probably drop
XTC from this list next time. Due to Geffen delays, it's still here.

For "English Settlement", the US pressing on Geffen and a new Virgin
re-release both contain the entire album.

Other Compilations of note (Canadian domestic artists):
===========================

Capitol Canada's "60 MINUTES WITH..." compilation series (April Wine (2),
Gordon Lightfoot's UA sessions, Tom Cochrane & Red Rider, Luba, etc.)

SARAH MACLACHLAN: "Solace", the follow-up her debut album "Touch, has
been indefinitely postponed by Arista in the U.S. ...

MARTHA & THE MUFFINS (M+M): Far Away In Time (Virgin) (the first three
albums on one disc; all of the debut, "Metro Music"). "Danseparc" by
the band's second incarnation (w/bassist Lucie Lanois, prod. Daniel's
sister) is now out on CD.

MAX WEBSTER: Best Of... (Anthem); also, all of their back-catalogue
and solo stuff by leader Kim Mitchell (the live "I am a Wild Party"
has just been released on Alert, his home label).

PAYOLA$ (ROCK & HYDE) (A&M or BMG?): Paul Hyde is singer and lyricist,
Bob Rock the guitarist, music writer and producer (and yes, it's the
same guy doing Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, The Cult etc. but The Payola$
don't sound remotely close to that stuff). Co-producers have been
Mick Ronson (Spiders from Mars, Ian Hunter Band) and David Foster
(Olivia Newton-John in the 70s, any and all famous Canadians in the
80s). The duo was based in Vancouver, British Columbia. "No Stranger
to Danger" ('Eyes of a Stranger') and "Hammer on a Drum" ('Where is
this Love?', 'Never Said I Loved You') are vinyl only; "Between A Rock
and a Hyde Place: Best of the Payola$" is the only compilation and CD
issue besides their swan song, Rock & Hyde's "Under a Volcano." )-;

GOWAN (A&M): Larry Gowan's albums "Strange Animal", "Great Dirty
World", and "Lost Brotherhood" all feature members of Peter Gabriel's
band (Tony Leven, David Rhodes, Jerry Marotta) as well as guest spots
from Jon Anderson of Yes and Alex Lifeson of Rush. The Gabriel band
last toured with him about 5 years ago, but Gowan road band is good.
"Great Dirty World" had a brief U.S. release but has been deleted.

VALDY: Classics Collection (A&M) -- 18 songs plus a new cut, "Hot Rocks"

DAVE WILCOX: Natural Edge, plus other titles. Great guitarist!

WALTER ROSSI: The Very Best of ... another great guitarist!

NONCLEMATURE:

If some titles are not in regular stock, then I'm sure the CD can be
found or ordered, probably even at domestic price. Canadian importing
laws allow companies to import product internally and sell it as on
the shelves as regular product. (The company retains domestic rights
and normal royalties go to the artist, while the consumer saves money
that would have gone to importing middlemen. Mind you, regular CD
prices are around C$20-25!!) Smaller market, different dynamics.

On the other hand, US laws now prohibit "parallel importation" due
to the American holder of an artist on contract, even if the work is
not on domestic American release. This was documented recently in an
article on INFOCD, by a CD importer named Key Sounds (they deal with
artists who have no US distribution whatsoever; their location out in
Half Moon Bay, CA is in a gorgeous area!).

Some CD titles are sold at higher "import" prices mainly due to the
allure of an import, possible difficulties in obtaining stock, or the
need to special order a title after the initial flood of sales (this
is legit in my books). Otherwise, too many English Canadians are
under the impression that our laws are the same as in the US on this
issue (e.g., from reading Rolling Stone or various American audio
magazines), and retailers are getting away.

Be sure to enquire as to getting refunds of the federal value-added
tax (VAT), called the GST. File for the Federal GST refund first and
ask for your receipts to be returned. Then, send the receipts to the
province for that refund. Ontario has a form widely available from
hotels and tourist/travel offices, and Quebec is supposed to now, too.
There may be a minimum of C$100 before you're eligible, so you might
have to give these refunds to your friend as a tip. (-;

"Only in Canada, you say? Pity!" - Red Rose Tea commercial.

--
Gary L. Dare The number of Canadians who --