I have a Question Fender vs Gibson

r3...@clayton.net

Nov 14, 2001, 7:46:01 PM11/14/01
I have a Les Paul Jr Special. I enjoy playing it very much.Recently
during a performance I had a problem with a saddle. I grabbed a friends
back up , a Telecaster
Standard (Mexico) . When playing one of my rare solos I noticed that
the sound was much better. It had the blues edge that I like. Question
is this is there one or more modifications I can make to my Gibson
(pickups,pots, ect;) that will make it sound more like the tele.It now
has standard p100 pickups. I know you say why not just swtch to a tele,
but I like my Les Paul in every way . The sound of that tele just turned
me on.

Thanks Guys ,
Speedy_gismo

Dan Stanley

Nov 15, 2001, 7:56:55 AM11/15/01

<r3...@clayton.net> wrote in message news:3BF31049...@clayton.net...

A Tele and a LP Special are two different beasts, but the first thing I'd do
is dump the P-100s for P-90s. P-100s are pretty lame...they don't sound like
P-90s, that's for sure.

You won't ever make it sound like a Tele, but you'll make it sound like a LP
Special.

THEN get a Tele! ;-}

Dan

mike pritchard

Nov 15, 2001, 8:17:01 AM11/15/01
You're probably never going to make your Gibson sound a *lot* like a Fender
(different wood, etc.), but there are a couple of things you can do to make
it a little closer.

First, I'm not all that familiar with the kind of pickup you're using, but I
have mine (a Gibson with Dimarzio pickups) set up so that I can flip a
mini-toggle switch and put the 2 coils in the pickup out of phase. This
thins out the tone considerably. It's not true single coil tone, but it's
still pretty good. I've heard of some people doing something similar, but
rather than out of phase, they shut off one half of the pickup. Of course,
this will defeat it's humbucking characteristics and hum/noise could be a
problem.

I also have a neat little box called a Snarling Dogs Very Tone. It's an EQ
box, of sorts....but rather than having a lot of different frequencies to
play with, such as on an EQ pedal, you have a rotory switch. You select the
tone you want and then you can add more bite if you like, and even a clean
boost to that. It does some pretty cool things to my Gibson, though it
doesn't *really* sound like my Fender. It's still a cool little box. That
or something like it might be something worth experimenting with.

But really, after never really being able to get a Fender like tone out of
my Gibson, I finally bought my first Fender, about 2 years ago...a
mexi-strat. I liked it so much, I upgraded to an American Standard Strat
about a year ago. I've never regretted it.

So now, I have the best of both worlds...a nice Gibson and a nice Fender.

Not so bad, eh? If you really like the Fender tone, you just might have to
add one to your list. <grin> And those little mexican versions are not bad
guitars, at all, especially for the money.

Mike

Stefan Mazur

Nov 15, 2001, 10:03:30 AM11/15/01
r3...@clayton.net wrote in message news:<3BF31049...@clayton.net>...
> I have a Les Paul Jr Special. I enjoy playing it very much.Recently
> during a performance I had a problem with a saddle. I grabbed a friends
> back up , a Telecaster
> Standard (Mexico) .

Nice guitar. I've played a few of them and I'll probably get one in
the futur.

>When playing one of my rare solos I noticed that
> the sound was much better. It had the blues edge that I like.

Isn't that neck pickup just great? It's the only reason I want one.
Man, what a sound.

>Question
> is this is there one or more modifications I can make to my Gibson
> (pickups,pots, ect;) that will make it sound more like the tele.

Once you have identified the sound that you like in the tele, you
could try and find a pickup that will emulate it. But it's not going
to be the same. Other things come into the equation and a Les Paul
will never sound like a tele and vice versa. But you can come close,
maybe even get something you like even more. Your best bet is to go to
a music shop where you have high confidence in the sales person and
explain to them exacly what it is you like about the tele sound. Your
second best bet is to ask here, like you did, what people have done to
acheive that sound. Me, I came to the conclusion that I'll just add a
tele to my rig. If I come across a used one in nice shape, I'll jump
on it.

>It now
> has standard p100 pickups. I know you say why not just swtch to a tele,
> but I like my Les Paul in every way .

I would never replace my Les Paul. Well, only perhaps for another one.

>The sound of that tele just turned
> me on.

I know exacly what you mean. Aren't guitars fun that way?

> Thanks Guys ,
> Speedy_gismo

Stefan Mazur

Ron Thompson

Nov 15, 2001, 11:16:54 AM11/15/01
r3...@clayton.net wrote:

> I have a Les Paul Jr Special.

Yeah? Me too.

> I enjoy playing it very much.

Me too.

> Recently during a performance I had a problem with a saddle.

I hate when that happens.

> I grabbed a friends back up , a Telecaster Standard (Mexico).
> When playing one of my rare solos I noticed that the sound was much better.
> It had the blues edge that I like. Question is this is there one or more
> modifications I can make to my Gibson (pickups,pots, ect;) that will make it
> sound more like the tele.

No. Switch to a tele.

> It now has standard p100 pickups. I know you say why not just swtch to a tele,

I just said that.

> but I like my Les Paul in every way . The sound of that tele just turned
> me on.

Stick some Fralin P90s in that Les Paul, wire it up to one volume no tones,
and it'll grind like no other. For the tele, get a tele, because the two will
never meet. Ever. Take them both to the gig, you'll have it all. Bring
a strat too.
--
rct

The opinions above are mine and mine alone.

Les Cargill

Nov 15, 2001, 7:55:33 PM11/15/01

Dan Stanley wrote:

> <r3...@clayton.net> wrote in message news:3BF31049...@clayton.net...
> > I have a Les Paul Jr Special. I enjoy playing it very much.Recently
> > during a performance I had a problem with a saddle. I grabbed a friends
> > back up , a Telecaster
> > Standard (Mexico) . When playing one of my rare solos I noticed that
> > the sound was much better. It had the blues edge that I like. Question
> > is this is there one or more modifications I can make to my Gibson
> > (pickups,pots, ect;) that will make it sound more like the tele.It now
> > has standard p100 pickups. I know you say why not just swtch to a tele,
> > but I like my Les Paul in every way . The sound of that tele just turned
> > me on.
>
> A Tele and a LP Special are two different beasts, but the first thing I'd do
> is dump the P-100s for P-90s. P-100s are pretty lame...they don't sound like
> P-90s, that's for sure.

I don't think P90s will fit in a P100 hole. The Rio Grande Bastard/Fat Bastard
will. And it will sound gooder than the P100s.

--
http://home.att.net/~lcargill

Les Cargill

Nov 15, 2001, 10:01:42 PM11/15/01

Les Cargill wrote:

> Dan Stanley wrote:
> >
> > <r3...@clayton.net> wrote in message news:3BF31049...@clayton.net...
> > > I have a Les Paul Jr Special. I enjoy playing it very much.Recently
> > > during a performance I had a problem with a saddle. I grabbed a friends
> > > back up , a Telecaster
> > > Standard (Mexico) . When playing one of my rare solos I noticed that
> > > the sound was much better. It had the blues edge that I like. Question
> > > is this is there one or more modifications I can make to my Gibson
> > > (pickups,pots, ect;) that will make it sound more like the tele.It now
> > > has standard p100 pickups. I know you say why not just swtch to a tele,
> > > but I like my Les Paul in every way . The sound of that tele just turned
> > > me on.
> >
> > A Tele and a LP Special are two different beasts, but the first thing I'd do
> > is dump the P-100s for P-90s. P-100s are pretty lame...they don't sound like
> > P-90s, that's for sure.
> >

> I don't think P90s will fit in a P100 hole. The Rio Grande Bastard/Fat Bastard
> will. And it will sound gooder than the P100s.

Correction: A Bastard will not work here because it will not fit in a P90 hole.

I had thought that a P100 was a P90 in a hubucker case, not a stacked
humbucker P90. Gaaah.

--
http://home.att.net/~lcargill

Greg Benitz

Nov 16, 2001, 1:54:57 AM11/16/01
You could put in a good quality humbucker pickup and a switch to go allow
you to only use one of the coils in the humbucker. You might be able to use
a push/pull tone or volume knob instead of cutting up your guitar for
another switch.

I'm not sure the size of P100's, if a regular dual-coil pickup would fit.
If not, you could try one of those dual-coil pickup designed for a
stratocaster, that look like slightly fat single coils with two lines of
poles instead of one.

r3...@clayton.net wrote:

--
/**
* Greg Benitz

Ron Thompson

Nov 16, 2001, 9:37:38 AM11/16/01
Les Cargill wrote:

> Dan Stanley wrote:
> >
> > <r3...@clayton.net> wrote in message news:3BF31049...@clayton.net..
> > > I have a Les Paul Jr Special. I enjoy playing it very much.Recently
> > > during a performance I had a problem with a saddle. I grabbed a friends
> > > back up , a Telecaster
> > > Standard (Mexico) . When playing one of my rare solos I noticed that
> > > the sound was much better. It had the blues edge that I like. Question
> > > is this is there one or more modifications I can make to my Gibson
> > > (pickups,pots, ect;) that will make it sound more like the tele.It now
> > > has standard p100 pickups. I know you say why not just swtch to a tele,
> > > but I like my Les Paul in every way . The sound of that tele just turned
> > > me on.
> >
> > A Tele and a LP Special are two different beasts, but the first thing I'd do
> > is dump the P-100s for P-90s. P-100s are pretty lame...they don't sound like
> > P-90s, that's for sure.
> >

> I don't think P90s will fit in a P100 hole.

Two won't, one will.

Ron Thompson

Nov 16, 2001, 9:37:57 AM11/16/01
Les Cargill wrote:

> Les Cargill wrote:
> >
> > Dan Stanley wrote:

> > > A Tele and a LP Special are two different beasts, but the first thing I'd do
> > > is dump the P-100s for P-90s. P-100s are pretty lame...they don't sound like
> > > P-90s, that's for sure.
> > >

> > I don't think P90s will fit in a P100 hole. The Rio Grande Bastard/Fat Bastard
> > will. And it will sound gooder than the P100s.
> >

> Correction: A Bastard will not work here because it will not fit in a P90 hole.

See?

Les Cargill

Nov 16, 2001, 10:51:44 PM11/16/01

Ron Thompson wrote:

<snip>

> See?

See what?

> --
> rct
>
> The opinions above are mine and mine alone.

--
http://home.att.net/~lcargill

Yuck Foo

Nov 17, 2001, 6:18:30 AM11/17/01
Just either reverse one of the magnets, or reverse the wires to one
pickup. This will give the pair an out of phase, and totally killer blues
tone. I used to do this with all of my two humbucker guitars, including my
Gibsons.
Greg Benitz <gbe...@oracleSpeak.com> wrote in message

Avenger

Dec 26, 2001, 11:29:22 AM12/26/01
The Duncan "Pearly Gates" do what you want. I have a pair if you want to try
them.

Avenger.

howldog

Dec 26, 2001, 1:04:48 PM12/26/01
On Wed, 26 Dec 2001 10:29:22 -0600, Avenger <sos_a...@yahoo.com.>
wrote:

>The Duncan "Pearly Gates" do what you want. I have a pair if you want to try
>them.

actually, he might wanna try the Rio Grande Bastards, which are P90s
in a humbucking format.

unless he is using the trad shaped P100s...

then just get some Duncan P90s and shove them in.

it wont get that tele TWANG cos there's too many structural
differences in the two guitars,, specially the metal bridgeplate....
but it would get it going in the right direction. single coil yackitty
growl and all that glory.

THE BROWNS

Dec 26, 2001, 2:02:29 PM12/26/01
> The Duncan "Pearly Gates" do what you want. I have a pair if you want to
try
> them.
How come you called them crap before, and so has everyone else.

Dan Stanley

Dec 26, 2001, 2:41:24 PM12/26/01

"THE BROWNS" <arm...@swbell.net> wrote in message

I don't recall anyone calling them "crap". Who are you replying to? Might be
a clue there.

FWIW, I like them a lot. Good solid rock and roll humbuckers.

Dan

Avenger

Dec 26, 2001, 2:56:17 PM12/26/01

It's existential. Why would any LP "want" to sound like a Fender Strat. In my
judgment they are crap because attempting to make a LP sound like a strat is
as ludicrous as trying to make a strat sound like an LP. Not withstanding
that you can observe the many attempts of such. It exists because it has been
manufactured yet without prejudice. Then came Eddie Van Halen who had enough
pull in the music industry to have the epitome of his vision translated into
the sacrifice of perfectly good trees. If you want your LP to sound like a
strat just buy an Axis and indefinitely prolong your confusion.

Avenger.

Dan Stanley

Dec 26, 2001, 3:03:36 PM12/26/01

"Avenger" <sos_a...@yahoo.com.> wrote in message

> THE BROWNS wrote:
> >
> > > The Duncan "Pearly Gates" do what you want. I have a pair if you want
> > try
> > > them.
> > How come you called them crap before, and so has everyone else.
>

> It's existential. Why would any LP "want" to sound like a Fender Strat.

Who needs question marks.

FWIW, a Pearly Gates isn't designed to make a LP sound like a strat. At all.
It isn't advertised like that, at all.

> In my
> judgment they are crap because attempting to make a LP sound like a strat
is
> as ludicrous as trying to make a strat sound like an LP.

Your judgement is pretty useless, I think.

Avenger

Dec 26, 2001, 3:12:58 PM12/26/01
I think the name "Pearly Gates" eludes to the sound of them enough to know
what to expect. As they say they are cold, bright and shiny. Funny how these
artist come up with these things at the "end" of their careers. Much like the
Winters and Rick Derringer end up playing blues.

Avenger.

howldog

Dec 26, 2001, 3:23:51 PM12/26/01
On Wed, 26 Dec 2001 20:03:36 GMT, "Dan Stanley" <vze2...@verizon.net>
wrote:

>Your judgement is pretty useless, I think.

I dunno bout that.

He thinks yer a lesbian.

Avenger

Dec 26, 2001, 3:25:14 PM12/26/01
Hopefully, we're all lesbians.

Avenger.

ryanm

Dec 26, 2001, 3:30:54 PM12/26/01
"Avenger" <mailto:sos_a...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I think the name "Pearly Gates" eludes to the sound of them enough to know
> what to expect. As they say they are cold, bright and shiny. Funny how
these
> artist come up with these things at the "end" of their careers. Much like
the
> Winters and Rick Derringer end up playing blues.

Have you listened to "Life ain't easy" lately? I'd say that's a pretty
good way to "end up playing blues."

ryanm

Dan Stanley

Dec 26, 2001, 3:40:20 PM12/26/01

"Avenger" <sos_a...@yahoo.com.> wrote in message

> I think the name "Pearly Gates" eludes to the sound of them enough to know
> what to expect. As they say they are cold, bright and shiny. Funny how
these
> artist come up with these things at the "end" of their careers. Much like
the
> Winters and Rick Derringer end up playing blues.

You are a moron. They are named after Billy Gibbons' '59 LP, which is one of
THE benchmark slightly hot, perfectly thick and juicy classic LP sounds.

Here's the blurb from Duncan's website:
"The original custom Pearly GatesT pickups were wound for the famous '59 Les
Paul® Standard that defined the raw, rebellious sound of Texas blues rock.
Essentially a variation on the Patent Applied For sound, the Pearly Gates
sound is sweet, but slightly rude, with great sustain and a bright top that
make harmonics jump out of the guitar. "

Are you sure you're not LJ? Because either you are entirely, utterly,
hopelessly stupid, or get similar glee from spouting disninformation.
Perhaps you are his long lost, similarly mutant twin or something. You might
want to see your family doctor.

Dan Stanley

Dec 26, 2001, 3:40:20 PM12/26/01

"howldog" <how...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Does this big silly grin on my face make my butt look big?

Dan

Avenger

Dec 26, 2001, 3:40:14 PM12/26/01

When my first wife died in a car accident four years ago I thought that was
an amazing stroke of luck. I tend to look at the brighter side of life. lol.
BTW, Ricks says you guys a pretty good.

Avenger.

Dan Stanley

Dec 26, 2001, 3:50:26 PM12/26/01

"ryanm" <ry...@fatchicksinpartyhats.com> wrote in message

> "Avenger" <mailto:sos_a...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I think the name "Pearly Gates" eludes to the sound of them enough to
know
> > what to expect. As they say they are cold, bright and shiny. Funny how
> these
> > artist come up with these things at the "end" of their careers. Much
like
> the
> > Winters and Rick Derringer end up playing blues.

I'm telling y'all, if "Avenger" ISN'T LJ, he's a real close relative.

> Have you listened to "Life ain't easy" lately? I'd say that's a pretty
> good way to "end up playing blues."

Jonathan Winters is ending his career playing the blues? I though the low
point was when he was on "Mork & Mindy".

THE BROWNS

Dec 26, 2001, 4:01:27 PM12/26/01
> > How come you called them crap before, and so has everyone else.
> I don't recall anyone calling them "crap". Who are you replying to? Might
be
> a clue there.
Avenger has said that before

Avenger

Dec 26, 2001, 4:06:25 PM12/26/01

Yep, I didn't like them.

Avenger.

Dan Stanley

Dec 26, 2001, 4:29:04 PM12/26/01

"THE BROWNS" <arm...@swbell.net> wrote in message

There's yer clue!

Michael Collins

Dec 26, 2001, 6:53:04 PM12/26/01
Dan Stanley said...

> I'm telling y'all, if "Avenger" ISN'T LJ, he's a real close relative.

He's not LJ. LJ has become more troll-like recently, but he has a much
better head on his shoulders than this Avenger character.

--
Mike C.

Smokey Blues

Dec 26, 2001, 7:38:15 PM12/26/01

> The Duncan "Pearly Gates" do what you want. I have a pair if you want to
try
> them.
>
> Avenger.
> r3...@clayton.net wrote:
> >
> > I have a Les Paul Jr Special. I <snip> Question

> > is this is there one or more modifications I can make to my Gibson
> > (pickups,pots, ect;) that will make it sound more like the tele.It now
> > has standard p100 pickups.

I don't think you can get a pealry gates in a P-100/P-90 sized pickup. In
usch a cse you have to route the guitar. to get a bucker into it. You could
however, get a very decent tele bridge tone from a traditional P-90 pickup.
It sould bolt right in. Check out the various P-90 from Duncan, Harminc
Design, and others.

> > I know you say why not just swtch to a tele,
> > but I like my Les Paul in every way . The sound of that tele just turned
> > me on.

Personally I think it is the P-100's.

Dale

ryanm

Dec 26, 2001, 7:56:47 PM12/26/01
"Dan Stanley" <vze2...@verizon.net> wrote in message

> I don't recall anyone calling them "crap". Who are you replying to? Might
be
> a clue there.

Nice "I refuse to quote and attribute because then it might look like
I'm a follower and my fragile ego can't handle that kind of strain" content.

ryanm

ryanm

Dec 26, 2001, 7:58:54 PM12/26/01

> When my first wife died in a car accident four years ago I thought that
was
> an amazing stroke of luck. I tend to look at the brighter side of life.
lol.
> BTW, Ricks says you guys a pretty good.

Who's Ricks?

ryanm

Dan Stanley

Dec 26, 2001, 9:40:17 PM12/26/01

"ryanm" <ry...@fatchicksinpartyhats.com> wrote in message

Thanks, I've been practicing. My personal trainer/guru/tax advisor tells me
I might be ready to start top posting as early as February!

Dan

Odin

Dec 26, 2001, 11:30:20 PM12/26/01

"Dan Stanley" <vze2...@verizon.net> wrote in message

> > Nice "I refuse to quote and attribute because then it might look

like
> > I'm a follower and my fragile ego can't handle that kind of strain"
> content.
> >
> > ryanm
>
> Thanks, I've been practicing. My personal trainer/guru/tax advisor tells
me
> I might be ready to start top posting as early as February!

Let's walk before we try to run, Danley.

Odin

Dec 26, 2001, 11:34:42 PM12/26/01

"ryanm" <ry...@fatchicksinpartyhats.com> wrote in message

> > BTW, Ricks says you guys a pretty good.
> >
> Who's Ricks?
>
> ryanm

I don't know, but he might have a tin ear if he thinks we sound good.

Kate Ebneter

Dec 27, 2001, 12:13:29 AM12/27/01
Avenger wrote:

> Hopefully, we're all lesbians.

Not if I have anything to say about it.

Kate Ebneter
Collector of Noise Toys

ryanm

Dec 27, 2001, 12:29:10 AM12/27/01

> Thanks, I've been practicing. My personal trainer/guru/tax advisor tells
me
> I might be ready to start top posting as early as February!

You *are* the man, Ira.

ryanm

Daniel R. Haney

Dec 27, 2001, 12:40:26 AM12/27/01
Avenger miswrote:

> It's existential. Why would any LP "want" to sound like a Fender Strat.

[needs question mark]

> In my judgment

[intended meaning: opinion]

> they are crap because attempting to make a LP sound like a strat is
> as ludicrous as trying to make a strat sound like an LP.
> Not withstanding that

[needs comma; wordy phrase meaning "although"]

> you can

[wrong verb, should be "may"]

> observe the many attempts of
> such.

[rhetorical lapse, should be "same"]

> It exists because it has been
> manufactured yet

[needs comma before or after "yet" to disambiguate intended meaning of "but"]

> without prejudice. Then came Eddie Van Halen who had enough
> pull in the music industry to have the epitome of his vision translated into
> the sacrifice of perfectly good trees.

[predicate missing after substantive clause. You been reading Mein Kampf?]

> If you want your LP to sound like a
> strat just buy an Axis and indefinitely prolong your confusion.

Fenders and Gibsons aren't the only guitar sounds out there, y'know.
There wouldn't be any Wolfgangs or Music Man Sports if people didn't
buy them.

Punctuation: D
Grammar: C
Rhetoric: C
Cogency: D

Sa-a-a-ay. You must be a rock & roll guitarist.

-drh

Polfus

Dec 27, 2001, 1:32:48 AM12/27/01
>Subject: Re: I have a Question Fender vs Gibson
>From: "Dan Stanley" vze2...@verizon.net

>You are a moron. They are named after Billy Gibbons' '59 LP, which is one of
THE benchmark slightly hot, perfectly thick and juicy classic LP sounds.>

That's a Gibson humbucker, just so you're clear on that.

>Here's the blurb from Duncan's website:
>"The original custom Pearly GatesT pickups were wound for the famous '59 Les
Paul® Standard that defined the raw, rebellious sound of Texas blues rock.
Essentially a variation on the Patent Applied For sound, the Pearly Gates sound
is sweet, but slightly rude, with great sustain and a bright top that make
harmonics jump out of the guitar. ">

Billy Gibbons doesn't use them, so what are you trying to say exactly?
Peace,
Jason

Check out my website:
http://www.geocities.com/PolfusPage

Polfus

Dec 27, 2001, 1:34:29 AM12/27/01
>Subject: Re: I have a Question Fender vs Gibson
>From: "Dan Stanley"

>Here's the blurb from Duncan's website: "The original custom Pearly GatesT
pickups were wound for the famous '59 Les PaulŽ Standard that defined the raw,

rebellious sound of Texas blues rock. Essentially a variation on the Patent
Applied For sound, the Pearly Gates sound is sweet, but slightly rude, with
great sustain and a bright top that make harmonics jump out of the guitar. ">

And you have said *many* times that you can't always believe what you
read..especially from the very manufacturer's own self-promotional website.

Get real, StannLeYYYy...seriously.

Jeff Liberatore

Dec 27, 2001, 4:51:03 AM12/27/01

"Polfus" <pol...@aol.comDELETE> wrote in message

> >Subject: Re: I have a Question Fender vs Gibson
> >From: "Dan Stanley" vze2...@verizon.net
>
> >You are a moron. They are named after Billy Gibbons' '59 LP, which is one
of
> THE benchmark slightly hot, perfectly thick and juicy classic LP sounds.>
>
> That's a Gibson humbucker, just so you're clear on that.
>
> >Here's the blurb from Duncan's website:
> >"The original custom Pearly GatesT pickups were wound for the famous '59
Les
> PaulŽ Standard that defined the raw, rebellious sound of Texas blues rock.

> Essentially a variation on the Patent Applied For sound, the Pearly Gates
sound
> is sweet, but slightly rude, with great sustain and a bright top that make
> harmonics jump out of the guitar. ">
>
> Billy Gibbons doesn't use them, so what are you trying to say exactly?

Billy Gibbons NEVER used "Pearly Gates" pickups?

Whodathunkit? I can't imagine he's NEVER used them, since he let them name
them after his guitar.

Ya' think he's just gettin' Duncan for the $$$?

See, I'm not real sure here... Can you prove BG didn't/doesn't use those
pups? That could be a real long flame stricken thread with ALL sorts of top
posts and quoted magazine articles.

OTOH, if yer playing the "Billy uses faux Tele's now game", you might have a
point (on a technicality), but still, sounds like yer tryin' to start a
fight with Danley.

--
Jeff
http://www.mp3.com/JeffLiberatore (my tunes)

Avenger

Dec 27, 2001, 2:14:33 AM12/27/01

I own an Axis. Technically it's a well crafted guitar and plays more
than well. It just doesn't have a sound that's anything special.

Avenger.

Avenger

Dec 27, 2001, 2:22:27 AM12/27/01

Jeff Liberatore wrote:

> "Polfus" <pol...@aol.comDELETE> wrote in message
> > >Subject: Re: I have a Question Fender vs Gibson
> > >From: "Dan Stanley" vze2...@verizon.net
> >
> > >You are a moron. They are named after Billy Gibbons' '59 LP, which is one
> of
> > THE benchmark slightly hot, perfectly thick and juicy classic LP sounds.>
> >
> > That's a Gibson humbucker, just so you're clear on that.
> >
> > >Here's the blurb from Duncan's website:
> > >"The original custom Pearly GatesT pickups were wound for the famous '59
> Les

> > Paul® Standard that defined the raw, rebellious sound of Texas blues rock.

> > Essentially a variation on the Patent Applied For sound, the Pearly Gates
> sound
> > is sweet, but slightly rude, with great sustain and a bright top that make
> > harmonics jump out of the guitar. ">
> >
> > Billy Gibbons doesn't use them, so what are you trying to say exactly?
>
> Billy Gibbons NEVER used "Pearly Gates" pickups?
>
> Whodathunkit? I can't imagine he's NEVER used them, since he let them name
> them after his guitar.
>
> Ya' think he's just gettin' Duncan for the $$$?
>
> See, I'm not real sure here... Can you prove BG didn't/doesn't use those
> pups? That could be a real long flame stricken thread with ALL sorts of top
> posts and quoted magazine articles.
>
> OTOH, if yer playing the "Billy uses faux Tele's now game", you might have a
> point (on a technicality), but still, sounds like yer tryin' to start a
> fight with Danley.
>
> --
> Jeff
> http://www.mp3.com/JeffLiberatore (my tunes)

Danly misunderstood my post as if that was a surprise. Gibbons endorsed
the Pearly Gates but I assumed that was common knowledge.
So this statement:

Funny how these artist come up with these things at the "end" of their
careers. Much like the Winters and Rick Derringer end up playing blues.

...was referring to all of them. Gibbons with the pickups and
Derringer/Winters with the guitar shows.

Avenger.

David Fosnocht

Dec 27, 2001, 10:34:49 PM12/27/01

> >Subject: Re: I have a Question Fender vs Gibson
> >From: "Dan Stanley"
>
> >Here's the blurb from Duncan's website: "The original custom Pearly
GatesT
> pickups were wound for the famous '59 Les Paul® Standard that defined the

raw,
> rebellious sound of Texas blues rock. Essentially a variation on the
Patent
> Applied For sound, the Pearly Gates sound is sweet, but slightly rude,
with
> great sustain and a bright top that make harmonics jump out of the guitar.
">

> And you have said *many* times that you can't always believe what you
> read..especially from the very manufacturer's own self-promotional
website.

> Get real, StannLeYYYy...seriously.

What' s the deal, Jason? You're not upset about not being voted RMMG Man
of the Year, are you?

AMost2001

Dec 27, 2001, 6:01:43 AM12/27/01
yeah like Ingwee & the

lj wrote:
<< Funny how these artist come up with these things at the "end" of their
careers. Much like the Winters and Rick Derringer end up playing blues.

Aria Guitar.

AMost2001

Dec 27, 2001, 6:02:21 AM12/27/01

James Andrews

Dec 27, 2001, 9:58:35 AM12/27/01
AMost2001 <amos...@aol.com> wrote:

: Aria

Sad.

Jas.

--
James Andrews
Philadelphia, PA

Avenger

Dec 27, 2001, 10:19:57 AM12/27/01
That was supposed to be just Rick.
You guys play at O'Rielly's(sp) much?

Avenger.

Dan Stanley

Dec 27, 2001, 10:28:15 AM12/27/01

"Polfus" <pol...@aol.comDELETE> wrote in message

> >Subject: Re: I have a Question Fender vs Gibson
> >From: "Dan Stanley" vze2...@verizon.net
>
> >You are a moron. They are named after Billy Gibbons' '59 LP, which is one
of
> THE benchmark slightly hot, perfectly thick and juicy classic LP sounds.>
>
> That's a Gibson humbucker, just so you're clear on that.

Right. NAMED AFTER. Not USED IN.

> >Here's the blurb from Duncan's website:
> >"The original custom Pearly GatesT pickups were wound for the famous '59
Les
> Paul® Standard that defined the raw, rebellious sound of Texas blues rock.
> Essentially a variation on the Patent Applied For sound, the Pearly Gates
sound
> is sweet, but slightly rude, with great sustain and a bright top that make
> harmonics jump out of the guitar. ">
>
> Billy Gibbons doesn't use them, so what are you trying to say exactly?
> Peace,
> Jason

Avenger said, and I quoted him, but you snipped it, that Duncan's "Pearly
Gates" was designed to make a Les Paul sound more like a strat, when, as a
matter of fact it was designed to emulate one of THE benchmark LP pickups
out there.

Gibbons uses them in all sorts of guitars, last I heard. Of course, you have
to take everything he says with a grain of salt. But he's been putting them
in those Esquire-like custom guitars for the last couple years, I know.
Along with other pickups, of course.

Don't blow this all out of proportion, Polfus.

Dan Stanley

Dec 27, 2001, 10:38:18 AM12/27/01

> > OTOH, if yer playing the "Billy uses faux Tele's now game", you might
have a
> > point (on a technicality), but still, sounds like yer tryin' to start a
> > fight with Danley.
> >
> > --
> > Jeff
> > http://www.mp3.com/JeffLiberatore (my tunes)
>
> Danly misunderstood my post as if that was a surprise. Gibbons endorsed
> the Pearly Gates but I assumed that was common knowledge.
> So this statement:
> Funny how these artist come up with these things at the "end" of their
> careers. Much like the Winters and Rick Derringer end up playing blues.
>
> ...was referring to all of them. Gibbons with the pickups and
> Derringer/Winters with the guitar shows.

Gibbons started endorsing Pearly Gates at the end of his career? Shoot,
they've been out there since forever, early 80's at least. Here it is twenty
years later, and the end of his career is still dragging on, I guess. We
should all be so lucky.

I still have no idea what the Winter ( WINTER. Johnny WINTER. not winterS.
WINTER!) and the Derringer comment is about. Neither "ended up" playing
blues. Both pretty much have been doing it their whole careers. Derringer
plays more than blues, of course, but Winter has never done anything but.

Dan
> Avenger.

Dan Stanley

Dec 27, 2001, 10:38:18 AM12/27/01

"Polfus" <pol...@aol.comDELETE> wrote in message

> >Subject: Re: I have a Question Fender vs Gibson
> >From: "Dan Stanley"
>
> >Here's the blurb from Duncan's website: "The original custom Pearly
GatesT
> pickups were wound for the famous '59 Les Paul® Standard that defined the

raw,
> rebellious sound of Texas blues rock. Essentially a variation on the
Patent
> Applied For sound, the Pearly Gates sound is sweet, but slightly rude,
with
> great sustain and a bright top that make harmonics jump out of the guitar.
">

> And you have said *many* times that you can't always believe what you
> read..especially from the very manufacturer's own self-promotional
website.

> Get real, StannLeYYYy...seriously.
> Peace,
> Jason

Gibbons is on record in every interview he gives to any guitar magazine that
he uses Duncan's "Pearly Gates" pickups in some of his guitars. I didn't say
he uses them in THE "Pearly Gates".

From Duncan's site:

"Billy,Gibbons,ZZ Top,elect,SH-PG1B, LW-CH1b, SH-1n; (Custom Shop Tele
Stack); (Billy Gibbons Custom Esquire); (6- Stacked Esquire w/ Pearly Gates
Sound;) SH-PG; (8/97) SH-PG1B (w/aged cover), (9/97),"

It's mostly gibberish, but it seems to indicate that Gibbons uses them. Not
exclusively, of course.

Jeez, what's the fuss? Is it a humbucker modeled after one of THE
humbuckers, or a strat-sounding pickup? Me, I say it sounds like a 'bucker.
Avenger says it was designed to make a LP sound like a strat.

One of us is clearly talking out of his ass. Let me know which one it is. I
mean, if you want to pick a fight with me over this, you pretty much have to
agree with Avenger-boy that it is a strat sounding pickup.

Relax, Polfus.

Dan

howldog

Dec 27, 2001, 10:51:13 AM12/27/01
On Wed, 26 Dec 2001 20:40:20 GMT, "Dan Stanley" <vze2...@verizon.net>
wrote:

>You are a moron.

hearty seasonal thanks /////**iNdE3D**\\\\

i expediate your camel, m'man!

Avenger

Dec 27, 2001, 11:05:41 AM12/27/01
Winters actually should have been Winters' as in the both of. Edgar and
Johnny. And I didn't realize that "Hang on Soupy" (sp) was a blues song.

Avenger.

Avenger.

Avenger

Dec 27, 2001, 11:07:55 AM12/27/01
You should talk to Mark at Charley's Guitar Shop. The Pearly Gates were not a
reissue of any kind. They were made to brighten a LP.

Avenger.

Jeff Liberatore

Dec 27, 2001, 2:06:58 PM12/27/01

"howldog" <how...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I think his camel is just running out of water dude.

Needs a fill up of some sort.

Avenger

Dec 27, 2001, 11:12:45 AM12/27/01
He doesn't have to agree with anyone because you are just flat wrong. It
looks like you purposely took what I said way too literal and seem to be
implying that a LP "can" sound like a strat. That of course is not completely
possible.

Avenger.

Jeff Liberatore

Dec 27, 2001, 2:26:35 PM12/27/01

> Winters actually should have been Winters' as in the both of. Edgar and
> Johnny. And I didn't realize that "Hang on Soupy" (sp) was a blues song.

No, it's the Ohio State University victory song!

HTH...

Jeff

Dan Stanley

Dec 27, 2001, 11:39:16 AM12/27/01

"Avenger" <sos_a...@yahoo.com.> wrote in message
> Winters actually should have been Winters' as in the both of. Edgar and
> Johnny. And I didn't realize that "Hang on Soupy" (sp) was a blues song.

Ah. So the punctuation thing comes in handy every now and again, I see.
"Hang On Sloopy" isn't a blues song. You'll note, below, in the comment to
which you are refering in this top-posted reply, that I said Derringer plays
more than blues.

See, look:
<here, I snipped all the irrelavant material>

DAN SAID:
> > I still have no idea what the Winter ( WINTER. Johnny WINTER. not
winterS.
> > WINTER!) and the Derringer comment is about. Neither "ended up" playing
> > blues. Both pretty much have been doing it their whole careers.
Derringer
> > plays more than blues, of course, but Winter has never done anything
but.

<and made a point to keep the part of the post that matters>
Derringer is a hell of a player, BTW.

Dan

Dan Stanley

Dec 27, 2001, 11:39:17 AM12/27/01

> You should talk to Mark at Charley's Guitar Shop. The Pearly Gates were
not a
> reissue of any kind. They were made to brighten a LP.

You should talk to Seymour Duncan, let him know.

Dan Stanley

Dec 27, 2001, 11:46:43 AM12/27/01

"Avenger" <sos_a...@yahoo.com.> wrote in message

< I took the liberty of bottom posting your reply, so everyone knows what
you are talking about. Thank me later.>

> He doesn't have to agree with anyone because you are just flat wrong. It
> looks like you purposely took what I said way too literal and seem to be
> implying that a LP "can" sound like a strat.

No I'm not. You said, in a previous post, that the Pearly Gates was designed
to make a LP sound like a Strat. Simple as that. You said that, I replied to
it.

Avenger

Dec 27, 2001, 11:47:29 AM12/27/01

I met Derringer three years ago at the Dallas convention, after years of
idolizing his ability. His song "Jump" has to be one of my all time
favorites. Anyway, he said "Hang of Soupy" was the official state song in
some state. Forgot which. It was kinda neat to see his hand tattoo up close.

Avenger.

Avenger

Dec 27, 2001, 11:56:29 AM12/27/01

Maybe I should have said, "to attempt to give it some of the strat
characteristics as in brightness and some over tones".
But you're still wrong about it being a reissue.

Avenger.

Dan Stanley

Dec 27, 2001, 12:10:23 PM12/27/01

> > No I'm not. You said, in a previous post, that the Pearly Gates was
designed
> > to make a LP sound like a Strat. Simple as that. You said that, I
replied to
> > it.
>

> Maybe I should have said, "to attempt to give it some of the strat
> characteristics as in brightness and some over tones".
> But you're still wrong about it being a reissue.

I never said it was a re-issue. Man, you is about the stooopidest person
I've ever had the pleasure to call a moron.

Daniel R. Haney

Dec 27, 2001, 12:20:59 PM12/27/01
Avenger wrote:

> You should talk to Mark at Charley's Guitar Shop. The Pearly Gates were not a
> reissue of any kind. They were made to brighten a LP.

Simply "brightening" a bucker doesn't give it single-coil sound.

You can't equalize away the differences between the two, although
it's been tried a lot (f'rinstance, Gibson's Varitone circuit)
but without obvious success.

-drh

Sooty

Dec 27, 2001, 12:18:19 PM12/27/01

Dan Stanley wrote:

> > Maybe I should have said, "to attempt to give it some of the strat
> > characteristics as in brightness and some over tones".
> > But you're still wrong about it being a reissue.
>
> I never said it was a re-issue. Man, you is about the stooopidest person
> I've ever had the pleasure to call a moron.

But I was going to get him to eksplain potencial energy and the concept
of kinetic energy to me. Are you saying I shoiuld aks someone else
instead? Mybe Haney? Kate? Andrew?
It's because you're guitar works by taking the potencial of the energy
stored in your strings and converting it into sound, which is the
concept of kinetic energy, isn't it? As a 'tar picker I feel I
should no these things byt that sience stuff blows me away.

Avenger

Dec 27, 2001, 12:26:56 PM12/27/01
"They are named after Billy Gibbons' '59 LP, which is one of
THE benchmark slightly hot, perfectly thick and juicy classic LP sounds."

Really?

Dan Stanley wrote:

> > > No I'm not. You said, in a previous post, that the Pearly Gates was
> designed
> > > to make a LP sound like a Strat. Simple as that. You said that, I
> replied to
> > > it.
> >

> > Maybe I should have said, "to attempt to give it some of the strat
> > characteristics as in brightness and some over tones".
> > But you're still wrong about it being a reissue.
>
> I never said it was a re-issue.

Wait, you just said they were named after a 59' LP in a previous post.
I wonder if you even really play guitar because the "Pearly Gates" were not
made to give a "classic" sound. They are more of a specialty pickup and I
don't know of anyone that use them all the time. Even Lynch claims to have
used them very sparingly and just on certain songs.

Avenger.

Daniel R. Haney

Dec 27, 2001, 12:35:18 PM12/27/01
Sooty wrote:
> Dan Stanley wrote:
>> Avenger could write what he meant:

>>> Maybe I should have said, "to attempt to give it some of the strat
>>> characteristics as in brightness and some over tones".
>>> But you're still wrong about it being a reissue.
>>
>> I never said it was a re-issue. Man, you is about the stooopidest person
>> I've ever had the pleasure to call a moron.
>
> But I was going to get him to eksplain potencial energy and the concept
> of kinetic energy to me. Are you saying I shoiuld aks someone else
> instead? Mybe Haney? Kate? Andrew?

Avenger's 'fraid o' me since I corrected his punctuation and grammar.

You have the podium so take advantage of it.

> It's because you're guitar works by taking the potencial of the energy
> stored in your strings and converting it into sound, which is the
> concept of kinetic energy, isn't it?

Sounds plain enough to me.

> As a 'tar picker I feel I should no these things byt
> that sience stuff blows me away.

HORSESHIT! LIAR!

No amount of "aw shucks" and studied typos can disguise your
proper syntax. How can you call yourself a guitar player when
you don't even drool on the keyboard?

-drh

Daniel R. Haney

Dec 27, 2001, 12:46:54 PM12/27/01
Avenger wrote:

> I own an Axis. Technically it's a well crafted guitar and plays more
> than well. It just doesn't have a sound that's anything special.

If it don't float your boat, why keep it?
Some people are very happy with theirs.
Guitar tastes are too individual for me to want
to knock them.

All I know is that it takes a while to find the
right one or two guitars. Once you've got them,
it takes some time to grow into them. Makes it
hard to say in advance what is best, I think.

<troll_mode>
However, Teles suck and I hate them.
</troll_mode>

-drh

Dan Stanley

Dec 27, 2001, 1:11:09 PM12/27/01

"Sooty" <nos...@nomail.sorry> wrote in message

I'd reply, but since you didn't top post, I guess you think you know it all
already

Dan Stanley

Dec 27, 2001, 1:21:13 PM12/27/01

> "They are named after Billy Gibbons' '59 LP, which is one of
> THE benchmark slightly hot, perfectly thick and juicy classic LP sounds."
>
> Really?

> > designed
> > replied to
> > >

> > > Maybe I should have said, "to attempt to give it some of the strat
> > > characteristics as in brightness and some over tones".
> > > But you're still wrong about it being a reissue.
> >
> > I never said it was a re-issue.
>
> Wait, you just said they were named after a 59' LP in a previous post.

I did. That doesn't make them a reissue. Man, you are BEYOND stupid. That
was lifted right from Duncan's site. I figure, if Seymour puts it in his
description, that oughta be good enough for any thinking person. Or even
you.

Got a problem with that? Take it up with Mr. Duncan. Or the ex-Mrs. Duncan,
whoever is in charge over there, I dunno.

> I wonder if you even really play guitar because the "Pearly Gates" were
not
> made to give a "classic" sound.

The Pearly Gates is THE classic slightly overwound PAF pickup.
THOUSANDS of people use them; I'd guess they are among Duncan's most popular
'buckers. And everyone who has them is aware of the connection between
Gibbons' famed LP "Pearly Gates" and the Duncan pickups of the same name.
INCLUDING Senor ( can someone toss a tilde on that "n", please?) Gibbons.

Man.

Dan

Avenger

Dec 27, 2001, 1:40:36 PM12/27/01
Worthless hype. Pearly Gates make good paper clip collectors.

Avenger.

Avenger

Dec 27, 2001, 1:47:25 PM12/27/01

I really don't want to keep it and I only finished it a month ago. I wanted
the rosewood neck so I had to convert it from the soapbox pickups. Really
nice looking too...for sale or trade.

Avenger.

Bob Dorgan

Dec 27, 2001, 2:18:34 PM12/27/01
Dan Stanley wrote:
> The Pearly Gates is THE classic slightly overwound PAF pickup.

Maybe, but they'll make your butt look big.

> THOUSANDS of people use them; I'd guess they are among Duncan's most popular
> 'buckers.

Yeah, and thousands of people have butts that look big.
You starting to see the connection?

> Man.

Indeed.
Dorgan

Dan Stanley

Dec 27, 2001, 2:14:50 PM12/27/01

> "Daniel R. Haney" wrote:
> >
> > Avenger wrote:
> >
> > > I own an Axis. Technically it's a well crafted guitar and plays more
> > > than well. It just doesn't have a sound that's anything special.
> >
> > If it don't float your boat, why keep it?

> I really don't want to keep it and I only finished it a month ago. I
wanted
> the rosewood neck so I had to convert it from the soapbox pickups.

Derby comin' up? Cruising for Cub Scouts?

Smokey Blues

Dec 27, 2001, 2:28:26 PM12/27/01
When I picked up my Pro II's, I spoke with Duncan Tech about all of their
Alnico II pickups. Actually, the Pearly Gates were designed to have the
same sound that the stock bridge pickup in Gibbon's old LP. I don't know
the year. It was early enough they were still hand winding as I recall. So
it is a vintage PAF, very siliar in design to the Gibson 57 Plus. It uses
Alnico II magnets, and has slightly more output than the Alnico Pro II. It
is voiced a bit more treble heavy than the Pro II, with a gritty edge to it.
It was not intended (at least no place publicly stated) to have a desire to
mimic any other tone. Duncan has one designed to split for the strat tone
(DuckBucker?), and some of their rails are an attempt to do so, not the PG.
Check the SD site.

Dale

Dan Stanley

Dec 27, 2001, 2:44:43 PM12/27/01

"Bob Dorgan" <dor...@fltg.net> wrote in message

HAHA. Fooled you, looser. My butt doesn't look big because *I* have Pearly
Gates pickups! *I* have Rio Grande BBQ Buckers! My butt looks big because my
kilts are all too small.

ryanm

Dec 27, 2001, 3:04:25 PM12/27/01
> That was supposed to be just Rick.
> You guys play at O'Rielly's(sp) much?

Yeah, they only book about every 6 weeks and I think we missed January
because they were fucking around with the schedule and we booked up before
we could talk to them, but we usually play there every month or so. We play
more N. Dallas stuff, like Lewisville and Lake Dallas. You should check out
our schedule and come see us: www.southerncomfortband.com. Be warned, we
have a new drummer starting in January and he's only had a couple weeks to
learn the material, so there may be some serious bullshitting going on.

ryanm

ryanm

Dec 27, 2001, 3:05:54 PM12/27/01
"James Andrews" <jand...@mail1.sas.upenn.edu> wrote in message
> AMost2001 <amos...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> : Aria
>

> Sad.

POS

ryanm

Avenger

Dec 27, 2001, 3:11:46 PM12/27/01

You heard the band "Relic" at O'Rielly's?

Avenger.

Daniel R. Haney

Dec 27, 2001, 3:15:00 PM12/27/01
Avenger wrote:
> "Daniel R. Haney" wrote:
>> Avenger wrote:

[snip]

>>> I own an Axis. Technically it's a well crafted guitar and plays more
>>> than well. It just doesn't have a sound that's anything special.
>>
>> If it don't float your boat, why keep it?

[snip]

> I really don't want to keep it and I only finished it a month ago. I wanted
> the rosewood neck so I had to convert it from the soapbox pickups. Really
> nice looking too...for sale or trade.

Nice try. :)
I already got me an Xmas guitar.

Did Earnie Ball always offer those options on the Axis
(DiMarzio buckers and rosewood fingerboards) or is that recent?
The current site is dated march 2001.
<http://www.ernieball.com/musicman/guitars/axis_sport/index.html>

-drh

Avenger

Dec 27, 2001, 3:23:56 PM12/27/01

I'm not sure they offer it at all. I had a chance to buy it $700 new so I
didn't pass it up.

Avenger.

Daniel R. Haney

Dec 27, 2001, 3:33:08 PM12/27/01
Avenger wrote:
> Haney wrote:

>> Did Earnie Ball always offer those options on the Axis
>> (DiMarzio buckers and rosewood fingerboards) or is that recent?
>> The current site is dated march 2001.
>> <http://www.ernieball.com/musicman/guitars/axis_sport/index.html>
>

> I'm not sure they offer it at all.

EB lists them as options now, but when you get to
the vendor, they can only sell what they have
in stock.

> I had a chance to buy it $700 new so I
> didn't pass it up.

Yup. Done that a few times.

Good luck on the sale/trade.

-drh

ryanm

Dec 27, 2001, 3:44:08 PM12/27/01

> You heard the band "Relic" at O'Rielly's?

Uuuuhhhh... maybe. Sounds familiar. I've seen a lot of bands there. Odin
goes there more often than I do, he gets out about every weekend and goes to
the bars we play and checks out the other bands. I have 3 kids, so getting
out to listen to bands isn't on the top of my list, although I do it some.

ryanm

David Fosnocht

Dec 28, 2001, 11:34:13 AM12/28/01

> "Avenger" <sos_a...@yahoo.com.> wrote in message
>
> > I really don't want to keep it and I only finished it a month ago. I
> > wanted the rosewood neck so I had to convert it from the soapbox
pickups.

> Derby comin' up? Cruising for Cub Scouts?

Hang on Soupy, you're gonna fall off that soapbox.

Odin

Dec 27, 2001, 8:39:51 PM12/27/01

"Avenger" <sos_a...@yahoo.com.> wrote in message

> You heard the band "Relic" at O'Rielly's?

Yes, but it's been a while and I don't remember them. BTW, we're at
O'Riley's on Jan 12th (our first weekend with a new drummer who has had 1
practice with us so far, should be interesting).

Polfus

Dec 28, 2001, 1:10:04 AM12/28/01
>Subject: Re: I have a Question Fender vs Gibson
>From: "Jeff Liberatore" jlib...@columbus.rr.com

>Billy Gibbons doesn't use them, so what are you trying to say exactly?
Billy Gibbons NEVER used "Pearly Gates" pickups?Whodathunkit? I can't imagine
he's NEVER used them, since he let them name them after his guitar.Ya' think
he's just gettin' Duncan for the $$$? See, I'm not real sure here... Can you
prove BG didn't/doesn't use those pups? That could be a real long flame
stricken thread with ALL sorts of top posts and quoted magazine articles.>

Will Dan's answer be enough?

Hope so:

>> That's a Gibson humbucker, just so you're clear on that.

>Right. NAMED AFTER. Not USED IN.

Peace,
Jason

Check out my website:
http://www.geocities.com/PolfusPage

Polfus

Dec 28, 2001, 1:09:52 AM12/28/01
>Subject: Re: I have a Question Fender vs Gibson
>From: "Dan Stanley" vze2...@verizon.net

>You are a moron. They are named after Billy Gibbons' '59 LP, which is one of

THE benchmark slightly hot, perfectly thick and juicy classic LP sounds.>

>That's a Gibson humbucker, just so you're clear on that.

>Right. NAMED AFTER. Not USED IN.

Okay then.

>Avenger said, and I quoted him, but you snipped it, that Duncan's "Pearly
Gates" was designed to make a Les Paul sound more like a strat,>

I saw that in another, different post. Didn't need to copy it because I am
responding to what *you* said, not him.

>when, as a matter of fact it was designed to emulate one of THE benchmark LP
pickups out there.>

Which is a Gibson pickup only.

>Gibbons uses them in all sorts of guitars, last I heard.

I don't doubt that you "hear" a lot of scary knowledge voies, but they remain
incorrect.

But do feel free to prove it as you claim.

Hey..I'll ask Billy Gibbons' executive engineer what the answer is, and if I am
wrong, then I would like to know it.

>Of course, you have to take everything he says with a grain of salt. But he's
been putting them in those Esquire-like custom guitars for the last couple
years, I know.>

LOL!

>Along with other pickups, of course.>

( yawn..) prove it ain't just another one of your voices and let's see some
proof.

>Don't blow this all out of proportion, Polfus.

Don't spout off about the Seymour Duncan "Pearly Gates" pickup as being the
benchmark for Les Paul tone, and don't even suggest that it is.

No one has *ever* been able to copy the tone of Billy Gibbons' pickups, and
that's all there is to it..especially since Gibbons says so himself.

Ask G-Mane..hopefully he can clear this up.

Polfus

Dec 28, 2001, 1:18:37 AM12/28/01
>Subject: Re: I have a Question Fender vs Gibson
>From: "Dan Stanley" vze2...@verizon.net

>Gibbons is on record in every interview he gives to any guitar magazine that
he uses Duncan's "Pearly Gates" pickups in some of his guitars. I didn't say he
uses them in THE "Pearly Gates".

>From Duncan's site:

>"Billy,Gibbons,ZZ Top,elect,SH-PG1B, LW-CH1b, SH-1n; (Custom Shop Tele Stack);
(Billy Gibbons Custom Esquire); (6- Stacked Esquire w/ Pearly Gates Sound;)
SH-PG; (8/97) SH-PG1B (w/aged cover), (9/97),"

>It's mostly gibberish, but it seems to indicate that Gibbons uses them. Not
exclusively, of course.>

In a couple of Fender Esquires...hey, I didn't know that.

Not in a single Les Paul as you can plainly see.

>Jeez, what's the fuss?

You calling someone else a "moron"...that's funny.

>Is it a humbucker modeled after one of THE humbuckers, or a strat-sounding
pickup? Me, I say it sounds like a 'bucker.>

Okay.

>Avenger says it was designed to make a LP sound like a strat.

>One of us is clearly talking out of his ass. Let me know which one it is.

Between you and LJ, it's a close call.

>I mean, if you want to pick a fight with me over this, you pretty much have to
agree with Avenger-boy that it is a strat sounding pickup.>

That's your call to make..I am talking about the benchmark Les Paul tone coming
from a Gibson humbucker only, not a SD.

>Relax, Polfus.
>Dan

Quit drinking.

Polfus

Dec 28, 2001, 1:24:25 AM12/28/01
>Subject: Re: I have a Question Fender vs Gibson
>From: Robb Scott robb...@mediaone.net.DUMPTHIS

>Yes, but...the other poster claimed that the Duncan Pearly Gates didn't
sound like a strat PU when split.

That is not even the issue I was responding to, Robb.

>Dan (rightly) pointed out that it wasn't intended to sound like a strat PU
when split, and (rightly) quoted the manufacturer's blurb to back that up.

>Context.

Again..that wasn't what I was talking about, nor had an issue with.

Polfus

Dec 28, 2001, 1:31:20 AM12/28/01
>Subject: Re: I have a Question Fender vs Gibson
>From: "David Fosnocht" d...@hotmail.com

>What' s the deal, Jason? You're not upset about not being voted RMMG Man of
the Year, are you?>

Oh yeah..losing sleep over it in fact.

Odin

Dec 28, 2001, 1:52:28 AM12/28/01

"Polfus" <pol...@aol.comDELETE> wrote in message

> No one has *ever* been able to copy the tone of Billy Gibbons' pickups,
and
> that's all there is to it..especially since Gibbons says so himself.
>
> Ask G-Mane..hopefully he can clear this up.

Billy Gibbons' tone on the first 6 or 7 albums was a beautiful thing indeed.
It was chock full of Les Paul, Strat, Tele and Esquire tone galore. Many of
Gibbons' "signature" songs were not recorded with a Les Paul and it's
obvious when you listen to the records. But no matter what BG plays it
sounds like BG, and no matter what I play I can't sound like BG. But I wish
I could. The thing is, if you listen closely to the old ZZ Top records you
can tell that Billy would use several different guitars and amps on each
album, and often used several different guitars and amps on a single song,
so trying to nail that tone is nearly impossible. Regardless, I suspect
that the whole Billy Gibbons endorsement thing was mostly about $$$ for
Billy and sales for Duncan, but if BG did play a Pearly Gates pickup I bet
it would sound damn good. Until I picked it up, then it would sound like a
POS.

Kate Ebneter

Dec 28, 2001, 2:19:37 AM12/28/01
Avenger wrote:

> Danly misunderstood my post as if that was a surprise.

Given the incoherence of most of what you say, it's hard for anyone to
understand you.

> Gibbons endorsed
> the Pearly Gates but I assumed that was common knowledge.
> So this statement:
> Funny how these artist come up with these things at the "end" of their
> careers. Much like the Winters and Rick Derringer end up playing blues.
>
> ...was referring to all of them. Gibbons with the pickups and
> Derringer/Winters with the guitar shows.

...but it doesn't make any more sense now that you've "explained" it
than it did the first time around.

Kate Ebneter
Collector of Noise Toys

Kate Ebneter

Dec 28, 2001, 2:33:02 AM12/28/01
Polfus wrote:

> >Subject: Re: I have a Question Fender vs Gibson
> >From: "Dan Stanley" vze2...@verizon.net
>
> >You are a moron. They are named after Billy Gibbons' '59 LP, which is one of
> THE benchmark slightly hot, perfectly thick and juicy classic LP sounds.>

> >Don't blow this all out of proportion, Polfus.

> Don't spout off about the Seymour Duncan "Pearly Gates" pickup as being the
> benchmark for Les Paul tone, and don't even suggest that it is.

I don't believe he said it was, Jason. I believe he said that the
pickup in Billy's "Pearly Gates" was a benchmark for Les Paul tone.

See what he said right up there? "They [the Duncan Pearly Gates
pickups] are named after Billy Gibbons' '59 LP, which [Billy's
Pearly Gates, that is] is one of THE benchmark slightly hot, perfectly

thick and juicy classic LP sounds."

Don't pick a fight where there's no reason to.

Avenger

Dec 28, 2001, 2:29:20 AM12/28/01
You probably think yourself clever to reply negatively to all my posts.
If you at least pretended you're not terminally angry and made a
gratuitous every now and then it wouldn't be so obvious that you're a
complete moron. Then again you would have know that if you weren't
stupid. Looks as if you would go as far as to destroy this newsgroup to
get your way. Well at least you're doing your part.

Avenger.

Kate Ebneter

Dec 28, 2001, 2:40:20 AM12/28/01
Polfus wrote:

> >Subject: Re: I have a Question Fender vs Gibson
> >From: "Dan Stanley" vze2...@verizon.net
>
> >Avenger says it was designed to make a LP sound like a strat.
>
> >One of us is clearly talking out of his ass. Let me know which one it is.
>
> Between you and LJ, it's a close call.

He's not LJ. Amazing but true.

> >I mean, if you want to pick a fight with me over this, you pretty much have to
> agree with Avenger-boy that it is a strat sounding pickup.>
>
> That's your call to make..I am talking about the benchmark Les Paul tone coming
> from a Gibson humbucker only, not a SD.

My call is that the best-sounding Les Paul tone I've heard comes out of
a pair of Duncan Antiquities. Hmmm.

Seriously, though, Jason, if you weren't so wrapped up in this Gibson
stuff, you might realize that Duncan makes some hella fine pickups,
some of them even better than Gibson's.

David Fosnocht

Dec 28, 2001, 10:40:12 PM12/28/01

Polfus <pol...@aol.comDELETE> wrote in message
<snip>

> Hey..I'll ask Billy Gibbons' executive engineer what the answer is, and if
I am
> wrong, then I would like to know it.

And of course you'll apologise.

ryanm

Dec 28, 2001, 3:46:19 AM12/28/01
"Odin" <res0...@verizon.net> wrote in message

> Billy Gibbons' tone on the first 6 or 7 albums was a beautiful thing
indeed.

Indeed.

> album, and often used several different guitars and amps on a single song,

In a single solo.

> it would sound damn good. Until I picked it up, then it would sound like
> POS.

Better shitcan it...

ryanm

David Fosnocht

Dec 28, 2001, 10:47:07 PM12/28/01

> >Subject: Re: I have a Question Fender vs Gibson
> >From: "David Fosnocht" d...@hotmail.com
>
> >What' s the deal, Jason? You're not upset about not being voted RMMG Man
of
> the Year, are you?>
>
> Oh yeah..losing sleep over it in fact.

It's starting to show.

David Fosnocht

Dec 28, 2001, 10:51:41 PM12/28/01

Avenger <sos_a...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> You probably think yourself clever to reply negatively to all my posts.

Positively!

> If you at least pretended you're not terminally angry and made a
> gratuitous every now and then

I hate to be negative, but that didn't make a lot of sense.

> it wouldn't be so obvious that you're a complete moron.

You really need to look that word up - I don't think it
means what you think it means.

> Then again you would have know that if you weren't
> stupid.

When calling someone stupid, always check your spelling.
Otherwise you look stupid.

> Looks as if you would go as far as to destroy this newsgroup to
> get your way. Well at least you're doing your part.

No, this newsgroup was destroyed years ago by other internet
retards like yourself.

It is loading more messages.