Re: Heritage Guitars--thinking about getting one--any owners here?

Dave Stephens

Nov 11, 2004, 4:00:10 PM11/11/04
I don't have any experience with the Groovemaster, but I've got about
12-years experience with Heritage, mostly with my Golden Eagle Custom. Also,
I know several players that use Heritage.

I think Heritage makes fantastic guitars. Check with Jay Wolfe Guitars to
get the best possible deal and first rate customer service.

Dave

"David Brewbaker" <d...@davidbrewbaker.com> wrote in message
> I've been thinking about getting a Kenny Burrell Groovemaster from
> Heritage. I'm attracted to the smaller body size and having only one
> neck PU which is all I use 90% of the time. I understand it's similar
> to their 516 model which has been around awhile. Are there any
> Heritage owners here that would comment on their experience with these
> guitars?

Gantt Kushner

Nov 11, 2004, 8:49:18 PM11/11/04
I have a Sweet 16 that I bought in 1993. It was allegedly built for the
NAMM
show that year, so it may not have been totally representative of the
average
Heritage, but it's a wonderful guitar. I didn't like the pickup too
much, so I
gutted the Heritage pickup, took an Ibanez George Benson pickup out of
it's
cover, drilled holes in the Heritage's pickup's cover, and epoxied the
Benson
pickup into it. I added a tone control and a series/parallel switch and
now it
sounds pretty good to me. I'm told Heritage has new pickups that are
better
than the one in my guitar. The Sweet 16's pickup floats, and therefore
needs
to be very thin, so at the time i didn't see too many options.

Anyway, I've been really happy w/ this guitar. I had a chance to
compare it
to a $6000 Buscarini and it held it's own and then some. If you buy from
reputable dealer Heritage seems to me to be a lot of bang for the buck...

Good luck,

Gantt

Joe Finn

Nov 11, 2004, 9:03:43 PM11/11/04

"David Brewbaker" <d...@davidbrewbaker.com> wrote in message
> I've been thinking about getting a Kenny Burrell Groovemaster from
> Heritage. I'm attracted to the smaller body size and having only one
> neck PU which is all I use 90% of the time. I understand it's similar
> to their 516 model which has been around awhile. Are there any
> Heritage owners here that would comment on their experience with these
> guitars?

I've owned a few different Heritage models. I've played several others too
but not the Kenny Burrell Groovemaster. All the ones I played were really
nice. ......joe

--
Visit me on the web www.joefinn.net

Keith Murch

Nov 11, 2004, 10:37:55 PM11/11/04
I have owned a Golden Eagle for over 10 years and I love it. I have a number
of other fine archtops, and the Heritage sounds, plays and looks as good as
any of them. I ordered mine with an added tone control and soon after I got
it I changed the pickup to a Kent Armstrong floating paf (which is a great
pickup). I understand that the stock floating pickup on the new Heritage
guitars is much better than they were in the early nineties. Anyway, I
highly recommend Heritage.
Keith

IL; axe jaro

Nov 12, 2004, 10:14:57 AM11/12/04
I have a Golden eagle with a mounted pickup that I like quite a bit. I
have played a Groovemaster at Hale's. I was in the market for a more
feedback resitant guitar for those gigs when feedback is an issue. The
Groovemaster has a mounted bridge, but not mounted to a block--instead
there is a little reinforment strip on the underside of the top,
directly under the bridge. Not exactly what I had in mind. The
Groovemaster was quite nice, though. I prefer the appeance of the ones
that have the traditional bridge. Wolfe has some of those.

I ended up ordering a Millennium 2000. These are small bodied guitars
(great for airplane overheads) that are semi hollow. The M2000 has a
traditional heritage archtop tailpiece, and is carved top and back (no
cotrol plate on the back of this model). I odered it with neck pickup
only, an no neck inlays. It should fill the bill for size and
feedback--a nice backup to have around. I don't have it yet. Their
Millinnium series is underated.

The reason i odered this is because I comapred a Millennium to a
D'Angelico NYSS-3. Both were nice, but the Heritage was $1,000 less.
The D'Angelico wasn't worth that premium. Additionally, Heritage
allowed me to order a single pickup model with the color, binding, and
other details I wanted.

I've said it before--heritage has a crappy website. In order to get
details on their models you have to use their site and then suppliment
with a hell of a lot of internet surfing. The best thing to do is call
Jay Wolfe or Jeff Hale. If heritage wanted to expand their niche of
offering semi-custom guitars, made in the USA under small (historic)
factory conditions, at fair prices, they could easy do so without
detriment to their product, and be quite successful. They either don't
want to, or they're having trouble moving away from their existing
business model. I think they have the potential to be on the cusp of
becoming quite formidable, if they so choose.

art144

Nov 13, 2004, 3:38:54 PM11/13/04
I have two Heritage Johnny Smith guitars that I've been extremely happy
with. They compare very favorably with much pricier custom built archtops
in tone. I substituted Bartolini pickups for the stock pickups and, I must
admit, I had both returned to Kalamazoo for neck adjustments. The latter
should not be an issue since Heritage acquired their Plek machine. I
believe Heritage guitars are one of the best values out there.

Jack A. Zucker

Nov 13, 2004, 4:59:48 PM11/13/04
"art144" <art...@comcast.net> wrote in message

This is nothing against Heritage guitars which are fabulous and wonderful
values but if a neck has a twist or bow in it, a plek machine can't help it.
Plek machines work great on instruments with straight necks but if you have
to send a guitar back to the factory for a neck adjustment, something
probably wasn't right to begin with..

--
Experience a revolutionary way to approach the instrument.
Introducing Sheets of Sound for Guitar

Check it out at:
http://www.sheetsofsound.net

thomas

Nov 14, 2004, 5:57:33 PM11/14/04
Gantt Kushner <gi...@his.com> wrote in message news:<4194169D...@his.com>...
> I have a Sweet 16 that I bought in 1993. I didn't like the pickup too

> much, so I
> gutted the Heritage pickup, took an Ibanez George Benson pickup out of
> it's
> cover, drilled holes in the Heritage's pickup's cover, and epoxied the
> Benson
> pickup into it.

Somewhere there is a GB-10 with a gaping hole where
Gantt's pickup used to be.

Gantt Kushner

Nov 14, 2004, 8:28:05 PM11/14/04
No... I found a new one in a nice little shrink-wrapped package!

Gantt

David Parks

Nov 21, 2004, 12:03:59 AM11/21/04

"Jack A. Zucker" <j...@jackzucker.com> wrote in message

I have a Heritage H-555 with the D-VIP electronics. The D-VIP is a set of
split coil switches and phase pots. The switches allow you to switch between
single and dual coil operation and to select the phase pot. The phase pot
rolls the coils in and out of phase.

I've got to say I've been playing professionally and otherwise for 50 years
now. I've had Fender Strats, Gibson ES-335, Rickenbacker, Fender Antigua,
Gibson Les Paul, on and on.

I've never had anything that approaches the quality and sound of the H-555.
People comment on the sound quality when they hear it for the first time. It
is awesome. I did replace the Grover tuners with lockers to solve a tuning
problem. That was no fault of Heritage, just a matter of physics when using
light gage strings.

This is the only Heritage I've ever played, but if they are all this good,
they are the greatest bargain around. You can call Heritage and talk with
Ren Wall, who invented the HRW pickups and the D-VIP electronics. In fact,
he may answer the phone. You can talk with anyone there and they will do
just about anything to help you. It's a great little company with a great
product.
Cheers