Allan Holdsworth RIP

van

Apr 16, 2017, 1:46:31 PM4/16/17
Just read this- very sad.

Joey Goldstein

Apr 16, 2017, 2:36:40 PM4/16/17
On 2017-04-16 1:46 PM, van wrote:
> Just read this- very sad.

Really?
That's terrible.

Gerry

Apr 16, 2017, 3:51:19 PM4/16/17
On 2017-04-16 17:46:28 +0000, van said:

> Just read this- very sad.

I'm curious to read the obit: He was gigging in LA on April 4th, and in
San Marcos on the 10, only a week ago.

van

Apr 16, 2017, 4:25:41 PM4/16/17

Gerry

Apr 16, 2017, 5:20:14 PM4/16/17
A *most* informative obit--more a fully complete wiki-entry on his
life, with many accolades.

I have no idea what could jump him so fast, but have recently lost two
family members, a sister and a 1st cousin. The former hit the exit ramp
in just under two weeks, the later in three days. It happens.

van

Apr 16, 2017, 8:57:37 PM4/16/17
Sorry to hear about your losses. How old were they?

Gerry

Apr 16, 2017, 11:13:44 PM4/16/17
My sister just turned 72 and who knows how long she had had cancer but
only lived about 4 days after diagnosis. The cousine was 66, same age
as me. He was feeling "under the weather" on a Saturday and died of
pneumonia the next Wednesday.

In all candor it reminds me of a toast that Nancy and I began using as
her mother slowly went into a foggy dementia--though no health
problems--which lasted for her last 15 years, whereupon she died 3 days
short of her 100th birthday: "May we all soar like an eagle till we
drop like stone."

van

Apr 17, 2017, 2:40:13 AM4/17/17
Amen.

Mike Neer

Apr 17, 2017, 8:20:07 AM4/17/17
Devastated by Allan's death, but also thankful for his presence and accomplishments on this planet. He inspired so many of us to look deeper into music. A once in a lifetime musician.

David J. Littleboy

Apr 17, 2017, 9:26:32 AM4/17/17

"Gerry" wrote:
>On 2017-04-17 00:57:35 +0000, van said:
>>> I have no idea what could jump him so fast, but have recently lost two
>>> family members, a sister and a 1st cousin. The former hit the exit ramp
>>> in just under two weeks, the later in three days. It happens.
>>
>> Sorry to hear about your losses.

Ditto. Condolences.

> How old were they?
>
>My sister just turned 72 and who knows how long she had had cancer but only
>lived about 4 days after diagnosis. The cousine was 66, same age as me.
>He was feeling "under the weather" on a Saturday and died of pneumonia the
>next Wednesday.

Hmm. I was reading the poster on wall at my primary care doc's office, and
it seems in Japan everyone over 65 is getting the pneumonia vaccine (which
happens this summer here), something I hadn't even heard about, and I've
been following medical blogs and keeping my eye on problems we elderly face
fairly closely of late (this is after my father ran into horrific medical
malpractice in the US).

Ah, I see the US recommends it as well.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/pneumo/public/index.html

>In all candor it reminds me of a toast that Nancy and I began using as her
>mother slowly went into a foggy dementia--though no health problems--which
>lasted for her last 15 years, whereupon she died 3 days short of her 100th
>birthday: "May we all soar like an eagle till we drop like stone."

Yep. Amen it is.

--
David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

TD

Apr 17, 2017, 12:44:08 PM4/17/17
Vaccines; extremely controversial. Government pushes it like crazy here, but truth is most doctors do not take the vaccine themselves. There is also inside info, available to/from some on the 'inside' that I would not dare post. Think it all through and make your best decision.

Gerry

Apr 17, 2017, 1:38:05 PM4/17/17
On 2017-04-17 13:26:20 +0000, David J. Littleboy said:

> Ditto. Condolences.

Thanks to all for these. As life proceeds, people leave the party, and
one acclimates to the process.

> Hmm. I was reading the poster on wall at my primary care doc's office,
> and it seems in Japan everyone over 65 is getting the pneumonia vaccine
> (which happens this summer here), something I hadn't even heard about,
> and I've been following medical blogs and keeping my eye on problems we
> elderly face fairly closely of late (this is after my father ran into
> horrific medical malpractice in the US).
>
> Ah, I see the US recommends it as well.
>
> https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/pneumo/public/index.html

Interesting; thanks for that. The CDC says: "CDC recommends
pneumococcal vaccination for all babies and children younger than 2
years old and all adults 65 years or older." That's pretty direct.

David J. Littleboy

Apr 17, 2017, 2:49:31 PM4/17/17
"Gerry" wrote in message news:od2uhr$ds0$1...@news.albasani.net...

>On 2017-04-17 13:26:20 +0000, David J. Littleboy said:
>
>> Ditto. Condolences.
>
>Thanks to all for these. As life proceeds, people leave the party, and one
>acclimates to the process.

Well, it's hard. In one's 40s and 50s, it's one's parents' generation, and
when that process peters out, it's our turn. So there's always a new
disaster coming up. Sigh. Like the twats say, the only thing worse than
getting old is not getting old.

>> Hmm. I was reading the poster on wall at my primary care doc's office,
>> and it seems in Japan everyone over 65 is getting the pneumonia vaccine
>> (which happens this summer here), something I hadn't even heard about,
>> and I've been following medical blogs and keeping my eye on problems we
>> elderly face fairly closely of late (this is after my father ran into
>> horrific medical malpractice in the US).
>>
>> Ah, I see the US recommends it as well.
>>
>> https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/pneumo/public/index.html
>
>Interesting; thanks for that. The CDC says: "CDC recommends pneumococcal
>vaccination for all babies and children younger than 2 years old and all
>adults 65 years or older." That's pretty direct.

The CDC says it. The Japanese do it. They sent me (and every other aging
twat who gets health insurance over here, namely every single one of us) a
letter saying "get your arse over to you doc's office. Now."

Vaccinations are less effective for older folks, and this one only reduces
pneumonia deaths by 60% or so. But over here, pneumonia is the leading cause
of death.

(Grumble: one can't compare mortality statistics between the US and Japan,
because one of us lists Alzheimer's as a cause of death, and the other
insists that it's always something else that kills folks with Alzheimer's.)

Gerry

Apr 17, 2017, 3:20:58 PM4/17/17
On 2017-04-17 18:49:18 +0000, David J. Littleboy said:

>> Interesting; thanks for that. The CDC says: "CDC recommends
>> pneumococcal vaccination for all babies and children younger than 2
>> years old and all adults 65 years or older." That's pretty direct.
>
> The CDC says it. The Japanese do it. They sent me (and every other
> aging twat who gets health insurance over here, namely every single one
> of us) a letter saying "get your arse over to you doc's office. Now."
>
> Vaccinations are less effective for older folks, and this one only
> reduces pneumonia deaths by 60% or so.

If I can take a 40% diminution of potential for half a dozen
life-threatening illness, I figure it's a bonus.

> But over here, pneumonia is the leading cause of death.
>
> (Grumble: one can't compare mortality statistics between the US and
> Japan, because one of us lists Alzheimer's as a cause of death, and the
> other insists that it's always something else that kills folks with
> Alzheimer's.)

Hell we can't even compare our own statistics without starting a "class war"...

Steven Bornfeld

Apr 17, 2017, 5:44:52 PM4/17/17
Yes, but it's hard to massage life expectancy measures, and you know
where Japan and the U.S. stand on that one.

TD

Apr 18, 2017, 4:08:09 PM4/18/17
Horrifying...

Tim McNamara

Apr 18, 2017, 8:13:50 PM4/18/17
There's a danger in dipping into National Enquirer land with these
things and it is probably better for us fans to remember the brilliance
of the man's music. That said, his long term drummer Gary Husband has
posted on Facebook a pretty frank and eloquent discussion of the price
Allan paid for being the genius that he was- and the love that his
friends and colleagues had for him. Depression, poverty and alcoholism
were probably the underlying causes of death based on the information
that's out there.

A GoFundMe was started to provide support to his three children and
granddaughter, initially to help with funeral expenses but there has
been a wonderful outpouring of generosity. The target was met within
hours and now far exceeds.

https://www.gofundme.com/allanholdsworthmemorial

Sometimes I think people are okay and my cynicism happily gets a black
eye.

Gerry

Apr 18, 2017, 8:26:40 PM4/18/17
You have some references that the pneumococcal vaccination is more
potentially dangerous than the desease?

Gerry

Apr 18, 2017, 8:28:39 PM4/18/17
It's encouraging whenever cynicism rules the day.

TD

Apr 18, 2017, 8:57:49 PM4/18/17
No, I am just better informed. But do carry on as you do.

TD

Apr 18, 2017, 8:59:41 PM4/18/17
This is very sad to learn.

TD

Apr 18, 2017, 9:28:03 PM4/18/17
On Monday, April 17, 2017 at 6:26:32 AM UTC-7, David J. Littleboy wrote:
I have a very close friend who worked for the CDC. I learned a lot about vaccines.

As an aside, this may be of interest:
http://www.naturalnews.com/029824_vaccination_respiratory_infections.html

Gerry

Apr 18, 2017, 9:29:52 PM4/18/17
If you're better informed that the CDC is, and with potentionally
millions of lives at statke I would think you'd feel compelled to
provide supporting information. But if not, please carry on as you do.

TD

Apr 18, 2017, 9:33:27 PM4/18/17
I am not more informed. I would never divulge in public what i learned from CDC. Compelled? That's your bag and more than often imaginary.

TD

Apr 18, 2017, 9:34:47 PM4/18/17

Gerry

Apr 18, 2017, 9:38:36 PM4/18/17
Yes, do carry on about my bag and your secret friends with secret information.

Message has been deleted

TD

Apr 18, 2017, 10:40:54 PM4/18/17
On Monday, April 17, 2017 at 11:49:31 AM UTC-7, David J. Littleboy wrote:
In addition, the literature I send to you is not related to what I have learned from a close friend who has worked for CDC ( he is a doctor), but it is indirectly related. The government remains all powerful and in control. As I stated earlier to you, all vaccines are controversial, at minimum careful thought should precede any decision. I gain nothing personally by offering these pieces of information. People take them or not, as they choose. They give them to babies, as they choose.

Here is another piece: http://www.rentyourhometoday.com/feed.html Albeit an odd URL.

Tony

TD

Apr 19, 2017, 5:44:29 AM4/19/17