Grupos de Google ya no admite nuevas publicaciones ni suscripciones de Usenet. El contenido anterior sigue siendo visible.

Ed Bickert's comping - book?

Visto 485 veces
Saltar al primer mensaje no leído

Bill C

no leída,
26 sept 2009, 3:02:5726/9/09
Is there a book or other extended study material available about Ed's
comping style? I've found a few snippets of transcription but that's
all.

... or maybe I'll just have to get busy transcribing!

Phil

no leída,
26 sept 2009, 7:24:4126/9/09

VIntage Guitar magazine had a Wolf Marshall-written lesson a few
months back about Ed's style. I *believe* it was the same issue with
Steve Lukather on the cover.

Bill C

no leída,
26 sept 2009, 11:16:3726/9/09
does anyone have a copy of this they'd sell me? - to be honest I only
want the Ed Bickert article by Wolf Marshall - which might keep the
shipping cost down as I'm in the UK

thanks

Bill

Bill C

no leída,
26 sept 2009, 11:17:2626/9/09

thanks for the heads-up Phil!

Tim McNamara

no leída,
26 sept 2009, 11:18:3026/9/09
In article
<d9173e1d-6ac1-4e82...@q14g2000vbi.googlegroups.com>,
Bill C <billc...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a book or other extended study material available about Ed's
> comping style? I've found a few snippets of transcription but that's
> all.

Nope. Or at least none I have been able to find. Someone-not-Ed set up
an Ed Bickert MySpace page and said he was working on a book about Ed's
playing style, but later posted that he had abandoned the project.
There are a few very interesting transcriptions out there, even if they
are fairly brief. Some include complete solos, some cover examples of
Ed's comping and chord solos.

> ... or maybe I'll just have to get busy transcribing!

Yup. IMHO always the best approach, even if not actually transcribing
(which to my mind means writing it down but some refer to copping licks,
voicings, etc., as "transcription"). Not that I do enough of it...

I wonder if Ed has ever thought about writing the book about his playing
approach. Maybe if we asked nicely?

Gerry

no leída,
26 sept 2009, 12:16:4326/9/09

Wouldn't it be nicer if somebody would scan and post the article so all
of us could get our mitts on it?
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

jseaberry

no leída,
26 sept 2009, 14:31:0226/9/09
On Sep 26, 11:16 am, Gerry <somewh...@sunny.calif> wrote:

I think it's still available as a back issue. I can send you their
link if you like.

jseaberry

no leída,
26 sept 2009, 14:34:5026/9/09

Loki's Dad

no leída,
26 sept 2009, 14:35:4226/9/09
On Sep 26, 3:02 am, Bill C <billcou...@hotmail.com> wrote:

I do not know of a book. I spent about a year transcribing his
comping , and that really gave me some valuable insights into his
choice of voicings and rhythmic delays and anticipations. Now I am in
the long term process of practicing individual aspects of the material
in detail in order to make it an organic part of my playing. I 'll
let you know how it works out in 20 years :)

Dave
www.mosickmusic.com

Gerry

no leída,
26 sept 2009, 16:13:5326/9/09

Any chance you'll ost your handiwork?

Joey Goldstein

no leída,
26 sept 2009, 20:55:4326/9/09

Nope.
Start transcribing.

--
Joey Goldstein
<http://www.joeygoldstein.com>

Phil

no leída,
26 sept 2009, 21:44:4626/9/09

Sure -- dug around in the basement for awhile today, but couldn't find
it. I generally don't keep the magazine around for too long --
they're so big.

edspyhill01

no leída,
25 oct 2009, 14:24:0425/10/09
On Sep 26, 3:02 am, Bill C <billcou...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a book or other extended study material available aboutEd's

> comping style? I've found a few snippets of transcription but that's
> all.
>
> ... or maybe I'll just have to get busy transcribing!

I converted Wolf Marshal's Ed Bickert article to PDF (Vintage Guitar,
Sept 2008). The doc is useable but the text in boxes with gray
background needs to typed into replacement boxes. The The three
examples in the article address his technique. Email me if you would
like a copy - edspyhill01 AT gmail DOT com.

0 mensajes nuevos