Saw Eubanks

Your Add Here!

Sep 1, 2004, 12:13:04 PM9/1/04
My Mom always told me that if I didn't have something nice to say I
shouldn't say anything at all.

I can't help myself.

I saw Kevin Eubanks this weekend and he sucked big time. Lousy tunes,
poor arrangements, pointless wanking solos (from everyone - with the
exception of the Saxophonist), lack of soul, and terribly annoying use
of a volume pedal.

I had to leave early. It was awful.

thom_j

Sep 1, 2004, 12:39:19 PM9/1/04

And he speaks so highly of you...go figure? i am curious tee'..

Ra

Sep 1, 2004, 12:59:53 PM9/1/04
"Your Add Here!" wrote

No wonder Jay found his CD's in the 99 cent bin.

Even the Tonight Show theme sounds like mindless wanking,
as opposed to something like the opening and closing themes
for Conan O'Brien.

Eubanks has a great personality though, which I suppose is
more important than his musical directorship, in his role
as the host's main 'foil'?

Marsalis was the first musical director for Jay..
and although he's got the musical skills, his surliness
made him a terrible fit for the job.

--
best regards,
Ra

Moods

Sep 1, 2004, 1:07:09 PM9/1/04

"Your Add Here!" <blu...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

It happens. I was extremely dissapointed with Ulf Wakenius when I saw him
play with Oscar Peteresen in June. He was completely phoning it in. He
wasn't communicating with the other players, totally missed solo entrances,
and made a really bad impression overall. I don't care if he can throw a
thousands notes into a solo, he wasn't locked into the quartet and it
resulted in him looking extremely amateur.

Moods

Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS

Sep 1, 2004, 1:29:25 PM9/1/04
Your Add Here! wrote:

You should listen to your mother!

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com

George Prager

Sep 1, 2004, 1:30:40 PM9/1/04

"Your Add Here!" <blu...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> My Mom always told me that if I didn't have something nice to say I
> shouldn't say anything at all.

I remember seeing John McLaughlin *way* back in 1979 in London, England. The
funny thing is I really like J.McL's playing a lot - but that particular
concert, oh my...just awful. Way too loud, screeching, pointless 20 minute
solos (well, it _was_ the 70's..) both from him and his violinist whose name
escapes me at the moment (it wasn't Jean Luc Ponty, though) Crazy percussion
beats, all the tunes in 11/8 or 13/8 or 7/4 or god knows what. Had to leave.
The only concert I ever walked out on. But as I say, I listen to him till
this day and know that he is a great guitarist. Maybe it was just a phase.

What I've heard from Eubanks on Leno always sounded kind of "same-y"

G.P.

jimbol51

Sep 1, 2004, 4:54:20 PM9/1/04
I saw Kevin Eubanks in San Diego about 10 years ago and it was the same
thing. He basically played one tune where there was really no head that
anybody could discern; the manager of the club asked him to pleeeease play
one standard to no avail. Jim

Gerry

Sep 1, 2004, 5:34:33 PM9/1/04
In article <SFqZc.187089$sh.111546@fed1read06>, jimbol51
<jimb...@cox.net> wrote:

I don't know Eubanks' music but I certainly have heard his name alot.
I can imagine any great player sounding bad on a given night, or during
a period of time. But what is it, musically, that made Eubanks'
reputation?

--
Invest wisely: Over the past 75 years, stocks have averaged annual gains of 2.3
percent under GOP administrations, compared with 9.5 under Democratic ones.

Moods

Sep 1, 2004, 6:05:31 PM9/1/04

"Gerry" <222...@spam.really.sucks> wrote in message

> In article <SFqZc.187089$sh.111546@fed1read06>, jimbol51
> <jimb...@cox.net> wrote:
>
> > I saw Kevin Eubanks in San Diego about 10 years ago and it was the same
> > thing. He basically played one tune where there was really no head that
> > anybody could discern; the manager of the club asked him to pleeeease
play
> > one standard to no avail. Jim
>
> I don't know Eubanks' music but I certainly have heard his name alot.
> I can imagine any great player sounding bad on a given night, or during
> a period of time. But what is it, musically, that made Eubanks'
> reputation?

I'm not sure musically, but practically, it is the fact that he is the
guitarist on Leno. He has put out several discs and does a lot of touring,
but much of his following is due to his name recognition from Leno.

Moods

Ra

Sep 1, 2004, 6:16:59 PM9/1/04
"Gerry" wrote

> But what is it, musically, that made Eubanks' reputation?

I expect that after the bad experience with Branford Marsalis,
Jay was hiring based solely on 'compatability' and ability to laugh at his jokes.

He uses Kevin as the butt of many jokes and Eubanks is a very good sport about it.
Marsalis wouldn't even smile when the joke was on someone else.

Kurt Shapiro

Sep 1, 2004, 7:14:45 PM9/1/04
I've said this before and I'll say it again. I saw Eubanks in the Berklee
basement back around 1979-ish. He was burnin'. He knew buttloads of
standards and could play like hell on 'em.

I don't know what the deal was that night in San Diego.

Perhaps he had a bad night, like anyone else, or maybe there was something
else going on --- maybe a dispute about the pay or something.

I would not underestimate Eubanks.

Steve Herberman

Sep 1, 2004, 8:17:56 PM9/1/04
K.E.'s fingerpicking chops are pretty amazing. Abercrombie switched to
thumbstyle playing on account of hearing Eubanks (and Wes before long that
of course!)
Rosenwinkel has talked about how killing he thinks K.E.'s album Opening
Night is. I've not heard too much of his stuff but took a day jazz class
with him back in 1984. I can say he is/was very well respected in jazz
circles pre-Leno.

Steve

"Kurt Shapiro" <kurtWITHOUTT...@hotmailNOSPAMTHANKS.com> wrote in
message news:FtmdnSlqNr_...@comcast.com...

Steve Herberman

Sep 1, 2004, 8:20:31 PM9/1/04
>and Wes before long that

I meant to write " and Wes long before that".. dyslexia sets in...

"Steve Herberman" <jazz...@starpower.net> wrote in message

Steve Herberman

Sep 1, 2004, 8:22:41 PM9/1/04

> I can say he is/was very well respected in jazz
>circles pre-Leno.

And respected post-Leno too!

JazzLover

Sep 1, 2004, 8:27:05 PM9/1/04
"George Prager" <gtrvox...@canoemail.com> wrote in message news:<6HnZc.17910$CG3.1...@news20.bellglobal.com>...

I have seen Pat Martino have an offnight. It happens to everyone.

Steve Herberman

Sep 1, 2004, 8:55:19 PM9/1/04

">
> And respected post-Leno too!

I haven't seen him on the Leno show in a while but assume he's still doing
that gig. A sax player I respect told me that when K.E. lived in NY he would
play solo, at Bradley's I think, and it was absolutley killing stuff. Why
someone would want to make a negative post on this newsgroup about him I
just don't get. At least see/hear him a few times before jumping to any
conclusions. I won't ask "where are your clips?" but I almost want too. ;-)

Steve

Gerry

Sep 1, 2004, 9:21:14 PM9/1/04
In article <FtmdnSlqNr_...@comcast.com>, Kurt Shapiro
<kurtWITHOUTT...@hotmailNOSPAMTHANKS.com> wrote:

> I've said this before and I'll say it again. I saw Eubanks in the Berklee
> basement back around 1979-ish. He was burnin'. He knew buttloads of
> standards and could play like hell on 'em.
>
> I don't know what the deal was that night in San Diego.
>
> Perhaps he had a bad night, like anyone else, or maybe there was something
> else going on --- maybe a dispute about the pay or something.
>
> I would not underestimate Eubanks.

Do we have a CD that fairly represents the "real" Eubanks?

Gerry

Sep 1, 2004, 9:30:59 PM9/1/04
In article <41366f7a$0$19710$61fe...@news.rcn.com>, Steve Herberman
<jazz...@starpower.net> wrote:

> Why someone would want to make a negative post on this newsgroup
> about him I just don't get.

He saw him and was dissapointed. That seems pretty logical. He said
why, too.

> At least see/hear him a few times before jumping to any conclusions.

Exactly how many nights do you have to see somebody before you can say
you thought it was a wank-fest?

> I won't ask "where are your clips?" but I almost want too. ;-)

You just did. I was wondering how long it would be before the OP would
be come the subject, and frankly I'm surprised it took this long. I
consider this progress at rmmgj.

I've often said, to great outcry, that you don't have to have
credentials to like another player, and in a perfect world you could
say so. Or you can be politically correct and not state your opinion
for fear of public outrage.

And off we go...

Kevin Van Sant

Sep 1, 2004, 10:27:37 PM9/1/04
On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 18:21:14 -0700, Gerry <222...@spam.really.sucks>
wrote in message <010920041821140109%222...@spam.really.sucks> :

>Do we have a CD that fairly represents the "real" Eubanks?

Two that come to mind are "live at Bradley's" and Dave Holland's
"Extensions". two very different sets that showcase KE at his best I
think. I saw him years ago, well before the Leno gig, with the
Extensions group. I had never heard of him before then, but I loved
his playing. He is also a really nice guy and seems to be a pretty
deep cat if you talk to him.

Kevin Van Sant
jazz guitar

http://www.kevinvansant.com
to buy my CDs, hear sound clips, see videos, and get more info.

Alternate site for recent soundclips
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/kevinvansant_music.htm

kyser

Sep 2, 2004, 6:09:54 AM9/2/04

> Do we have a CD that fairly represents the "real" Eubanks?

"Live At Bradley's".

Keith Freeman

Sep 2, 2004, 9:57:32 AM9/2/04
> But what is it, musically, that made Eubanks'
> reputation?
In the 80s he was one of the Young Lions that recorded for Elektra
Musician, and his first record as a leader (Kevin Eubanks Guitarist) was
superb: great feel, great technique, great musical ideas, each track with
an atmosphere all its own.

Perhaps a case of peaking too early?

-Keith

Music samples, tips, Portable Changes at
http://home.wanadoo.nl/keith.freeman/

E-mail: keith DOT freeman AT wanadoo DOT nl

Michael L Kankiewicz

Sep 2, 2004, 9:58:42 AM9/2/04
On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Gerry wrote:

> I don't know Eubanks' music but I certainly have heard his name alot.
> I can imagine any great player sounding bad on a given night, or during
> a period of time. But what is it, musically, that made Eubanks'
> reputation?

My wife thinks he's gorgeous. That might have a lot to do with it.

:)

Keith Freeman

Sep 2, 2004, 9:59:20 AM9/2/04
Gerry <222...@spam.really.sucks> wrote in news:010920041821140109%
222...@spam.really.sucks:

> Do we have a CD that fairly represents the "real" Eubanks?

I would nominate the first record he made as a leader for Elektra Musician,
Guitarist.

Michael L Kankiewicz

Sep 2, 2004, 10:02:24 AM9/2/04
On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Moods wrote:

> I'm not sure musically, but practically, it is the fact that he is the
> guitarist on Leno. He has put out several discs and does a lot of touring,
> but much of his following is due to his name recognition from Leno.

Actually, he was quite well know *before* Leno, and was probably high on
the short list.

MK

Paul Sanwald

Sep 2, 2004, 10:19:28 AM9/2/04
I second kevin's recommendation for "extensions", it's great! really
one of the underrated jazz records IMO, with steve coleman and smitty
smith and eubanks. once I heard a kirk lightsey record on criss cross
that eubanks was on, and he sounded really great playing straight ahead
also.

--paul

PWatrous

Sep 2, 2004, 10:25:46 AM9/2/04
I'll never forget walking into an art blakey big band gig in New York in the
early 80s and hearing some kid--Eubanks--on guitar tearing the place up. It was
some shock, hearing someone play that much guitar.

Joe Finn

Sep 2, 2004, 10:50:34 AM9/2/04

"kyser" <no-...@nowhere.com> wrote in message

Another one I like is called Shadow Profits. Kevin is a fine player. The
Leno band began under the direction of Branford Marsalis and included, if
I'm not mistaken, Tain Watts and Kenny Kirkland. This semi-jazz concept
morphed into something more akin to the Letterman band lead by Paul
Shaffer. Oh well.

I'm not crazy about the current Leno band but what does Kevin care? He's
laughing all the way to the bank. He'll probably continue to get involved
with various jazz projects when he has time. ........joe

--
Visit me on the web www.joefinn.net

Greger Hoel

Sep 2, 2004, 11:24:50 AM9/2/04
On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 10:50:34 -0400, "Joe Finn" <J...@JoeFinn.net> wrote:

>I'm not crazy about the current Leno band but what does Kevin care?

I haven't seen the Tonight Show in years. Do they still play Sweet
Home Alabama early on in every show?
Always cross a vampire, never moon a werewolf

To reach me, swap spammers get bent with softhome

Your Add Here!

Sep 2, 2004, 11:30:23 AM9/2/04

> You should listen to your mother!

I did - she went with me and thought it sucked!

That being true, I feel a bit bad dissing the guy - but he asked for it.

Joe Finn

Sep 2, 2004, 11:34:51 AM9/2/04

"Greger Hoel" <gre...@spammersgetbent.net> wrote in message

> On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 10:50:34 -0400, "Joe Finn" <J...@JoeFinn.net> wrote:
>
> >I'm not crazy about the current Leno band but what does Kevin care?
>
> I haven't seen the Tonight Show in years. Do they still play Sweet
> Home Alabama early on in every show?

I dunno. I watch the show now and then because I like Leno. Most of the
music sounds like rock or hip hop to me. I don't remember hearing Sweet Home
Alabama but then I generally hit the clicker as soon as the band starts
playing. .......joe

Bob Agnew

Sep 2, 2004, 12:02:46 PM9/2/04
Let me know when and where you are performing and I will come and Boo and
Razz you.

"Your Add Here!" <blu...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> My Mom always told me that if I didn't have something nice to say I
> shouldn't say anything at all.
>

> I can't help myself.
>
> I saw Kevin Eubanks this weekend and he sucked big time. Lousy tunes,
> poor arrangements, pointless wanking solos (from everyone - with the
> exception of the Saxophonist), lack of soul, and terribly annoying use
> of a volume pedal.
>
> I had to leave early. It was awful.

Bob Agnew

Sep 2, 2004, 12:05:21 PM9/2/04
Talk about dyslexia -- I read it and didn't even notice!

"Steve Herberman" <jazz...@starpower.net> wrote in message

jrw

Sep 2, 2004, 12:45:57 PM9/2/04

"Keith Freeman" <dont.use.t...@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> Gerry <222...@spam.really.sucks> wrote in news:010920041821140109%
> 222...@spam.really.sucks:
>
> > Do we have a CD that fairly represents the "real" Eubanks?
> I would nominate the first record he made as a leader for Elektra
Musician,
> Guitarist.

That's what I was thinking too. Is that the one that has The Thumb and
Evidence on it? Great playing on that one.
Jim

JazzLover

Sep 2, 2004, 12:57:37 PM9/2/04
"Steve Herberman" <jazz...@starpower.net> wrote in message news:<413666b7$0$19714$61fe...@news.rcn.com>...

> K.E.'s fingerpicking chops are pretty amazing. Abercrombie switched to
> thumbstyle playing on account of hearing Eubanks (and Wes before long that
> of course!)
> Rosenwinkel has talked about how killing he thinks K.E.'s album Opening
> Night is. I've not heard too much of his stuff but took a day jazz class
> with him back in 1984. I can say he is/was very well respected in jazz
> circles pre-Leno.
>
> Steve

I have opening night and there is some fantastic playing there.
Eubanks is very original and gets the best tone and fluency on single
note lines of any jazz finger picker I have heard. The thing about
Eubanks is that he has many influences from rock to Jazz incorporates
all of them into his set along with free improvisation. He is a
monster at playing standards. He just often plays other stuff, like
the time I heard him live.

Paul Sanwald

Sep 2, 2004, 1:18:45 PM9/2/04
you know, it would be really great if we could collectively get over
the "don't criticize people" thing. it's a show that people are paying
money to see, and it's everyone's right to post their review of the
show. if I posted I didn't like "spider man 2" no one would jump down
my throat for dissing tobey macguire when he's "out there doing it" or
whatever.

it seems really silly to me that people are worried so much about
criticizing others. if I pay money to go see a show and I don't dig it,
you can be damn sure I'll say something about it. professional
musicians put their work out there on display, and frankly I think they
should welcome criticism and try and use it constructively. I certainly
do.

--paul

Keith Freeman

Sep 2, 2004, 3:02:48 PM9/2/04
> Is that the one that has The Thumb and
> Evidence on it?
Yup. I'm particularly fond of the track Untitled Shapes.

Keith Freeman

Sep 2, 2004, 3:07:10 PM9/2/04
> Shadow Profits
That should be Prophets - he's not totally obsessed with money, to judge
from what he says in his instruction book!

Ra

Sep 2, 2004, 3:34:37 PM9/2/04
"Paul Sanwald" <pcsa...@gmail.com> wrote in message news:ch7kll$6...@odak26.prod.google.com...

Well said.

--
best regards,
Ra

Mark Kleinhaut

Sep 2, 2004, 3:48:43 PM9/2/04

Hey Paul, I agree with you 100% about the value of constructive criticicm,
but only ONLY ONLY (3x) when it is done in a time and place where both parties
are open to the dialogue.

I don't think criticism works particularly well in this usenet public forum
for a number of reasons, but probably most importantly is that it near impossible
to have that meeting of the minds between the participants, rules of engagement,
if you will. Futhermore, doing this with hundreds or more strangers looking
in (lurking) is a recipe for misunderstandings and hard feelings. It's a
recipe for disaster, really. And what's the point when if you want to know
what I think of your playing (as if it even matters) you can email me or
call on the phone and we can get into it.

Providing a critique of Mr. Eubanks' concert is of course within anyone's
rights to do, but what purpose does it really serve? Anyone learn anything
at all from this thread? Yeah, "different strokes" and all that, but if
an accomplished professional chooses the way he wants to play and it's different
from how I want to hear guitar played (my way of playing) I say GREAT! Everyone
can play in their own sandboxes and viva le difference!

www.markkleinhaut.com

thomas

Sep 2, 2004, 4:07:30 PM9/2/04
Gerry <222...@spam.really.sucks> wrote in message news:<010920041434330726%222...@spam.really.sucks>...

> I don't know Eubanks' music but I certainly have heard his name alot.
> I can imagine any great player sounding bad on a given night, or during
> a period of time. But what is it, musically, that made Eubanks'
> reputation?

He got a gig with Roy Haynes right out of Berklee, then cut
an album for Arista. Then he was in Dave Holland's band
for a while. The guy is a high-flyer.

Johnny Asia

Sep 2, 2004, 4:15:57 PM9/2/04
On 2 Sep 2004 07:19:28 -0700, "Paul Sanwald" <pcsa...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I second kevin's recommendation for "extensions", it's great! really
>one of the underrated jazz records IMO, with steve coleman and smitty
>smith and eubanks.

Marvin "Smitty" Smith? He's a great drummer.
I wonder why he isn't better known.
I opened a show for him once, he had the bass player
from Peter, Paul and Mary, Dick Kniss I think his name was.
The guy could play too. That gig was the most fun evening
in a long time.

I heard Eubanks years ago, he was excellent.

I dunno, whenever I read all the reasons other people
hate someones' playing, I think "Wow, sounds great!
I wish I was there"

Instead of reading a music critics' suggestion about who
to listen to, I think I'd be better off seeing who gets
trashed the most by other guitarists and going to see them!

hehehehe

JA

+

Johnny Asia, Guitarist from the Future
http://www.angelfire.com/art2/painterny/wqe.html

"I say play your own way. Don't play what the public wants. You play what
you want and let the public pick up on what you're doing even if it does take
them fifteen, twenty years." - Thelonious Monk

"Contemporary criticism only represents the amount of ignorance genius
has to contend with." - Percy Bysshe Shelley

Keith Freeman

Sep 2, 2004, 4:31:10 PM9/2/04
> Providing a critique of Mr. Eubanks' concert is of course within
> anyone's rights to do, but what purpose does it really serve? Anyone
> learn anything at all from this thread?
I take your points, Mark, but yes, I do find it useful to be able to read
reviews of concerts that I'm not able to attend - especially when the
musician in question doesn't appear to tour within even a thousand
kilometres of where I live ;-}

Paul Sanwald

Sep 2, 2004, 4:39:20 PM9/2/04
well, I almost went and saw eubanks last week at the iridium. so for
me, it tells me whether or not I might or might not enjoy the show. it
works both ways, there are some criticisms that people post that would
make me more inclined to go check him out.

--paul

Pete Kerezman

Sep 2, 2004, 4:53:07 PM9/2/04
On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 20:15:57 GMT, pope_about_town at yahoo.com (Johnny
Asia) wrote:

>Instead of reading a music critics' suggestion about who
>to listen to, I think I'd be better off seeing who gets
>trashed the most by other guitarists and going to see them!

Oy, too close for comfort there, A-man.

Texas Pete

Tom Lippincott

Sep 2, 2004, 7:05:41 PM9/2/04
I'll third the recommendation for Extensions; I've always thought that was a
great record, and Eubanks sounds great on it. I also used to have a copy of
Opening Nights and thought it was great (though I lent it to someone and
haven't seen it in years).
--
Tom Lippincott
Guitarist, Composer, Teacher

Paul Sanwald <pcsa...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Gerry

Sep 2, 2004, 7:38:21 PM9/2/04
In article <Xns9558E5BE6...@194.134.2.2>, Keith Freeman
<dont.use.t...@nowhere.com> wrote:

> > Providing a critique of Mr. Eubanks' concert is of course within
> > anyone's rights to do, but what purpose does it really serve? Anyone
> > learn anything at all from this thread?
>
> I take your points, Mark, but yes, I do find it useful to be able to read
> reviews of concerts that I'm not able to attend - especially when the
> musician in question doesn't appear to tour within even a thousand
> kilometres of where I live ;-}

I find the same value. But I also come away with an additional value, I
get the general impression about the *critic* themselves. When fusion
head says a traditionalist is "boring" or a trad-head says a fusion
guitarist is has no melodic line, it tells me something about the way
they view these things. Based on this information I then greet
successive discussions, knowing a little more about their tastes, with
more or less interest respectiviely.

So in response to Mark's question, it serves a purpose. Music criticism
always does--but not always the way it intends. I use to regularly
read Richard Coe's film reviews in the Washington Post when I lived in
DC in, 68/72 --because I knew what he hated I'd love and what he loved
I'd hate. He had near a perfect 100% flip from my tastes. Buddy--that
was useful!

Gerry

Sep 2, 2004, 7:39:46 PM9/2/04
In article <41377c63...@news.mybizz.net>, Johnny Asia wrote:

> Instead of reading a music critics' suggestion about who
> to listen to, I think I'd be better off seeing who gets
> trashed the most by other guitarists and going to see them!

What would that get you?

Patrick L.

Sep 14, 2004, 9:35:48 AM9/14/04

"Your Add Here!" <blu...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> My Mom always told me that if I didn't have something nice to say I
> shouldn't say anything at all.
>
> I can't help myself.
>
> I saw Kevin Eubanks this weekend and he sucked big time. Lousy tunes,
> poor arrangements, pointless wanking solos (from everyone - with the
> exception of the Saxophonist), lack of soul, and terribly annoying use
> of a volume pedal.
>
> I had to leave early. It was awful.

I sure wish he would quite playing the same damn tune on Leno. I know Doc
Severinson played the same theme song every day, but during the breaks, they
played real charts, different ones all the time.

Patrick.

Jack A. Zucker

Sep 14, 2004, 7:24:47 AM9/14/04
Kevin Eubanks is a fabulous player. He's taken the "Wes" thing somewhere new
and wonderful. It's no coincidence that when Dave Holland was looking to put
a new group together he chose Kevin to play guitar on the recording.

--
Experience a revolutionary way to approach the instrument.
Introducing Sheets of Sound for Guitar

Check it out at:
http://www.sheetsofsound.net
"Patrick L." <nice...@ifyoucangetit.com> wrote in message