Attaching a lavalier mic to a guitar

Sam

Jun 7, 2010, 12:36:03 PM6/7/10
I am experimenting with combining a clip-on lavalier type microphone
with my (nylon strung) guitar's UST pick up system, and mixing the
sources via my PA. As yet I have not purchased a clip on mic
specifically designed for guitar, I just went and bought a fairly cheap
standard lavalier condenser mic purely to have a play with.

The trouble is the clip with the mic has teeth! Obviously this is ideal
for attaching to a shirt or tie, but not ideal for my guitar top. It's
very limited in terms of mic direction too - would be nice to have
flexibility here to experiment with position.

So I am looking to buy a guitar friendly clip, something secure and
discreet to attach the little microphone to the guitar soundhole. If
anyone knows where I can buy these things separately, or can suggest
some other ingenius way of attaching this, please let me know. I am sure
i read something here on the latter years ago that involved wire and
positioning the mic outside the guitar.

Thanks

S.

George's Pro Sound Co.

Jun 7, 2010, 1:01:00 PM6/7/10

"Sam" <m...@nospam.com> wrote in message

I have taken a clip apart and with some hardening putty(pc7 I believe. but
any epoxy ought be fine) I secured the clip inside and under the sound hole,
now when I want to use my mic I simply insert it to the 1/2 of the clip that
is permentaly mounted to the underside of the soundboard, then I gaff tape
the wire down the guitar and to the belt pack transmitter that is attached
to the strap
I use the sennheiser products.
if you do this , do NOT route the mic signal to your monitors
George

Ty Ford

Jun 7, 2010, 1:15:01 PM6/7/10
On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 12:36:03 -0400, Sam wrote
(in article <MPG.2677303d5...@news.virginmedia.com>):

> The trouble is the clip with the mic has teeth!

Duh. Don't use the clip. Use Gaffers tape.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Rick Ruskin

Jun 7, 2010, 1:26:02 PM6/7/10
On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 13:15:01 -0400, Ty Ford <tyre...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 12:36:03 -0400, Sam wrote
>(in article <MPG.2677303d5...@news.virginmedia.com>):
>
>> The trouble is the clip with the mic has teeth!
>
>Duh. Don't use the clip. Use Gaffers tape.

Gaffers tape won't be very kind to the finish. I'd use something that
leaves no residue like drafting tape.

Rick Ruskin
Lion Dog Music - Seattle WA
http://liondogmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/rickruskin

Sam

Jun 7, 2010, 2:27:54 PM6/7/10
In article <2raq06laqfrbpnn7q...@4ax.com>,
lio...@isomedia.com says...

> On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 13:15:01 -0400, Ty Ford <tyre...@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 12:36:03 -0400, Sam wrote
> >(in article <MPG.2677303d5...@news.virginmedia.com>):
> >
> >> The trouble is the clip with the mic has teeth!
> >
> >Duh. Don't use the clip. Use Gaffers tape.
> >

> Gaffers tape won't be very kind to the finish.

Also looks awful. I do a lot of classical guitar wedding gigs and
somehow strips of gaffa tape across the guitar doesn't sound very
appealing.

...taping inside could be an option, I guess, though very fiddly, and
tricky to find a good position.

Sam

Jun 7, 2010, 3:07:24 PM6/7/10
In article <MPG.2677303d5...@news.virginmedia.com>,
m...@nospam.com says...

> I am experimenting with combining a clip-on lavalier type microphone
> with my (nylon strung) guitar's UST pick up system, and mixing the
> sources via my PA. As yet I have not purchased a clip on mic
> specifically designed for guitar, I just went and bought a fairly cheap
> standard lavalier condenser mic purely to have a play with.

Incidentally, here's the mic:
http://www.wiltsgrove.co.uk/sub-category.php?ID=5918&CID=0019&PID=MIC-
1008

It uses a battery, anyone know if it's likely to drain the battery if
the mic is switched on but its not plugged into anything? Just trying to
work out if I could leave it inside a guitar switched on, or whether I
will need access to that switch.

cheers

Mike Brown

Jun 7, 2010, 7:25:41 PM6/7/10

If you can reach any of the braces without removing the strings, you
might be able to use the "toothed" clip on a brace without damage of any
consequence.

MJRB

Mike Brown

Jun 7, 2010, 7:27:52 PM6/7/10
Sam wrote:

I have a Radioshack (Tandy) lavalier that I bought some years ago. The
battery and preamp for that are in the plug.

MJRB

hank alrich

Jun 7, 2010, 9:51:09 PM6/7/10
Sam <m...@nospam.com> wrote:

Dougie Maclean fastens a little Sony omni condenser to the edge of the
soundhole with a little holder he made from Romex.

http://armadillomusicproductions.com/who'slistening.html
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidriAlrichwithDougHarman

hank alrich

Jun 7, 2010, 9:51:10 PM6/7/10
George's Pro Sound Co. <bm...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> if you do this , do NOT route the mic signal to your monitors

Correct. That is how Dougie Maclean does it - no monitors.

John Bennett

Jun 8, 2010, 6:09:26 AM6/8/10
I came up with a way of safely attaching a Sony ecm 50 lavalier to the
sound hole by using a standard electrical croc/alligator clip. I put
some plastic sheathing from a piece of cable over the teeth and attached
a short length of stiff wire to the clip then just taped the mic to the
wire. Choosing the right length and stiffness of the wire enables you
to place the mic wherever you want. I prefer the sound from inside the
guitar but I guess you you could use this method to place it outside as
well.

Picture here http://tinyurl.com/3y52f28

Regards John

Ty Ford

Jun 8, 2010, 3:25:18 PM6/8/10
On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 13:26:02 -0400, Rick Ruskin wrote
(in article <2raq06laqfrbpnn7q...@4ax.com>):

> On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 13:15:01 -0400, Ty Ford <tyre...@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 12:36:03 -0400, Sam wrote
>> (in article <MPG.2677303d5...@news.virginmedia.com>):
>>
>>> The trouble is the clip with the mic has teeth!
>>
>> Duh. Don't use the clip. Use Gaffers tape.
>>

> Gaffers tape won't be very kind to the finish. I'd use something that
> leaves no residue like drafting tape.

The G-tape I use is low tack, Rick. I'm tackier than it is.

Ty Ford

Jun 8, 2010, 3:26:52 PM6/8/10
On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 14:27:54 -0400, Sam wrote
(in article <MPG.26774a88f...@news.virginmedia.com>):

That's why scissors were invented Sam.

I've cut a small strip, just enough to hold the lav in place in the rt angle
between the fingerboard and face.

Sam

Jun 8, 2010, 5:44:38 PM6/8/10
In article <0001HW.C83411BC...@News.Individual.NET>,
tyre...@comcast.net says...

> That's why scissors were invented Sam.
>
> I've cut a small strip, just enough to hold the lav in place in the rt angle
> between the fingerboard and face.

Outside or inside?

Doesn't taping the mic directly to the guitar top cause problems -
feedback, rumble etc?

hank alrich

Jun 8, 2010, 8:46:59 PM6/8/10
Sam <m...@nospam.com> wrote:

You cannot expect to get much SPL, and you should forego using monitors.

trevord...@gmail.com

Mar 23, 2017, 5:50:57 PM3/23/17
What is Romex?

hub...@ccanoemail.ca

Mar 23, 2017, 5:54:59 PM3/23/17
On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 14:50:55 -0700 (PDT), trevord...@gmail.com
wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoplastic-sheathed_cable

... perhaps ?

Bart Candlewick

Mar 26, 2017, 2:09:34 PM3/26/17
Yep, but he probably meant that he used one of the insulated conductors
from the Romex, probably the black one. 12 or maybe even 14 gauge would
be stiff enough to make an effective holder out of.