For my consideration

Tom from Texas

Jan 26, 2015, 6:15:57 PM1/26/15
I am considering getting a couple of guitars. I am looking at classical guitars with a cutaway. I've played some Corbobas, a Rodriquez, and others. I tend to prefer the cedar top with rosewood body. I'd be doing some basic jazz stuff like "Sunny" and "All of Me". Any thoughts or suggestions? I'd prefer to stay under $700.

The other guitar is a square-necked resonator. Haven't found many to try out so I'm open to suggestion.

BTW, DO NOT even hint to my significant other that I'm considering purchasing another guitar.

Tom (living on the edge) from Texas

gtr

Jan 26, 2015, 6:53:56 PM1/26/15
On 2015-01-26 23:15:55 +0000, Tom from Texas said:

> I am considering getting a couple of guitars. I am looking at classical
> guitars with a cutaway. I've played some Corbobas, a Rodriquez, and
> others. I tend to prefer the cedar top with rosewood body. I'd be
> doing some basic jazz stuff like "Sunny" and "All of Me". Any thoughts
> or suggestions? I'd prefer to stay under $700.

Yes: I recommend a used Takamine 132sc:

http://tinyurl.com/m2cbpbj

You might get one right now for only a few sheckles less than I paid
for it new (~$850) when it was still in production. Oops! Seems that
it is back in production. I thought it had existed ~8 years ago. They
still make them for around twice the price.

http://tinyurl.com/ncxp442

hank alrich

Jan 26, 2015, 11:53:55 PM1/26/15
If not seeking an acutal classical guitar, some of these Godins work
really well, especially if amplification will be used.

http://www.godinguitars.com/godinmultnylonseriesp.htm

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com

Tom from Texas

Jan 27, 2015, 8:59:20 AM1/27/15
Thanks, looks like a reasonable possibility.

Tom from Texas

Tom from Texas

Jan 27, 2015, 9:01:38 AM1/27/15
Might haven't to look those up. See if one of my local stores or pawnshops has one to try.

Tom from Texas

Tom from Texas

Feb 1, 2015, 4:57:55 PM2/1/15
I pulled out a gypsy jazz guitar with the grande bouche that I've had and haven't been playing lately. It has a rosewood body and gypsy jazz strings. I realized I had the guitar I needed all along. Now, about the squareneck resonator... any ideas, guys and gals?

Tom from Texas

Steve Freides

Feb 12, 2015, 7:04:22 PM2/12/15
Why? I thought you were getting rid of guitars, not buying them.

(BCC to your wife)

-S-

Tony Done

Feb 13, 2015, 12:48:59 AM2/13/15
I thought you were thinning the mob?

I tried a Corboda Fusion is cedar/r'wood lam and liked it a lot, but I
thought the neck angle was a bit low. If you want traditional style, I
tried a Katoh in cedar/something lam. Incredible tone - the best I have
heard in a cheap nylon string - and even their cheap all-plywood version
I tried this week sounded very good at a coupla hundred. Apparently the
local classical teacher is recommending Katohs to his students, so my
mate has started stocking them. From the small sample I've tried, I can
see why.

Before you go rushing off to buy a squareneck reso, think on that you
can use a nut raiser on a roundneck, and it will be easier to sell if
you don't get on with it. How much do you want to spend on the reso? If
you're into very big$ then I guess that squareneck custom/boutique is
the way to go, but on a modest budget I would buy roundneck.

--
Tony Done

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=784456

http://www.flickr.com/photos/done_family/

Tom from Texas

Feb 16, 2015, 2:23:51 PM2/16/15
Thanks, Tony, I am thinning the herd but doesn't mean I'm not into trying something new. I did the nut raiser thing on another resonator roundneck and sold it to a guy as was with nut raiser. I'm trying to keep the purchase below $400. As stated in the post before, I'm good with my gypsy jazz guitar and won't be getting a nylon string for now.

Tom from Texas