Quizzical for Guitar players returns with a Beatle Q.

Tom Hendricks / Musea

Mar 27, 2015, 11:14:31 AM3/27/15
The answer to, and winner (if any) for, our last contest question of:
See the illustration that comes with this question. This is a version of a bird often portrayed in sub Sahara African art. What kind of bird is it ,and what ethic group is it associated with.

IS:
HORNBILL FIGURE Ivory Coast from the Senufo People

"Hornbill bird figures: The hornbill was the mythological founder of the Senufo people. The figures were originally worn on the head during long dances and processions...
The variety of size, style, skill and surface finish reflects the range of the more than a million Senufo peoples living in the Ivory Coast, Mali, Burkina Faso and Ghana."

http://www.hamillgallery.com/SENUFO/SenufoBirds1/SenufoBird01.html

I had no correct answers - seems the answer flew away on y'all this time.
I don’t dumb down so please wise up.

Now on to a new Q.: Win a copy of my FIRST cd CALLED ‘30′! – (first anti-band CD) or my NEWER cd CALLED ‘NEXT”(‘06) or my NEWEST cd CALLED ‘THIRDS” (May ‘07) or my MORE NEWEST cd Called “FOUR-TH” (‘08) or my MOST NEWEST cd CALLED ‘5-TH (Nov.’09) or my MORE NEWEST NEWEST cd CALLED ’6-TH’(Feb ’12), or my even NEWER THAN THAT cd CALLED “7-TH (early 2014), or my even NEWER UP TO DATE CD CALLED “#8-TH (08/14) or my very newest #9 out now. OR a download card for a free streaming CD.

Hear and buy them all on CDBaby, I-Tunes, Amazon, Google, Spotify, and all the other main music sites. Hunkasaurus.com has them all too.
IF you are the first to E-MAIL ME , AT THIS ADDRESS: tom-hendricks @ att.net (remove blanks of course) with the correct answer to this art question.
DEDICATION: These contests are dedicated to my sister, Peggy, who answered more of the questions correctly than anyone else.

THIS WEEK’S QUESTION (see blog at)

https://musea.wordpress.com/2015/03/27/quizzical-returns/

mark.b...@gmail.com

Mar 30, 2015, 8:17:42 AM3/30/15
On Friday, 27 March 2015 15:14:31 UTC, Tom Hendricks / Musea wrote:

(The usual clickbait)

I have a question for Tom.

Does he ever participate in a discussion on this forum (I don't recall seeing him do so), or is it just a place for him to (try to) push his wares?

don hindenach

Mar 30, 2015, 6:11:21 PM3/30/15
I have seenn him respond, but it is: (B) - clickbait

--
-donh-
donh at audiosys dot com

David L. Martel

Mar 30, 2015, 6:50:25 PM3/30/15
I recall, a long time ago, that Tom showed up here. He believed that
"bands" were out of date and hoped that one man with his "pet dog" guitar
would be the next craze. He was incapable of coherently debating this. And
it wasn't the next craze.
He asked for opinions about some songs that he had recorded. He's not an
especially talented singer or player.
I think that honest debate and honest assesment of his recordings deeply
offended him. He began spamming the newsgroup and continues this.
If you go to his web-site you'll find that he can sketch.
He is frustrated that no-one believes that he is an artiste.

Dave M.

Tom Hendricks / Musea

Apr 4, 2015, 10:45:00 AM4/4/15
Mark, sometimes, but too often the discussion has nothing to do with the subject.

Tom Hendricks / Musea

Apr 4, 2015, 10:46:39 AM4/4/15
And ....

He has just released a 10 year 150 song 9 cd collection of music.
hunkasaurus.com
Also released 3 novlels -- all music and novels now on all major streaming sites.

Tom Hendricks / Musea

Apr 4, 2015, 10:50:20 AM4/4/15
On Monday, March 30, 2015 at 5:50:25 PM UTC-5, David L. Martel wrote:
> I recall, a long time ago, that Tom showed up here. He believed that
> "bands" were out of date and hoped that one man with his "pet dog" guitar
> would be the next craze. He was incapable of coherently debating this. And
> it wasn't the next craze.

> He is frustrated that no-one believes that he is an artiste.

Even my Mom?

Dave, nothing has changed, 60 years of formula bands continues.
Sounds like you like the formula - good for you. I don't. For those with open minds,

Why are So Many People Saying Bad Music is Good? https://musea.wordpress.com/2015/03/24/why-are-so-many-people-saying-bad-music-is-good/

David L. Martel

Apr 7, 2015, 8:13:30 AM4/7/15

>> He is frustrated that no-one believes that he is an artiste.
>

> Even my Mom?

Yup, no one, no where, no how.

> Dave, nothing has changed, 60 years of formula bands continues.

This is Tom's thesis. I suppose we could ask what a "formula band" is
but the problem is that Tom thinks that all of the music he hears sounds
like Buddy Holly. He refuses to believe that music evolved. He failed to
notice the advent of horn bands like Chicago. Or the use of synthesizers.
Punk rock, Cali-country, heavy metal, rap, Lady Gaga.

> Sounds like you like the formula - good for you. I don't. For those with
> open minds,

Open minds, exactly. and open ears as well. You seem to have missed the
evolution of music over the last 60 years. And your one man and a guitar is
not new, it's formulaic.

I've 2 of your CDs, I think. You are a "campfire singer". You sing and
play with enthusiasm. You just do not do it well. That's true of Bob Dylan,
too. The difference is that his songs frequently have something that others
can relate to.

You recently revealed the "income" figures of the first month's sales of
your latest release. They were pretty sad.

You've been bragging about having a song on a Neil Young site, but you
show up here begging folks to vote you onto some radio show. I assume,
therefore, that all of your "successes" are based on bogus votes and other
games.

I've been to Musea, your zine. It's nothing. A whole bunch of Tom's
essays. Nothing else. I'll not ask the traffic count.

Can't rate the sketching, I've no understanding of painting, drawing et
c. . Don't dislike them but don't see much in them.

Haven't seen the novels but I know what vanity press work is like.
E-publication has made this worse since there is not an editor catching the
author's mistakes.

You are a wannebe. Stop posturing and stop spamming the newgroups.

Dave M.

Tom Hendricks / Musea

Apr 8, 2015, 8:30:26 PM4/8/15

> This is Tom's thesis. I suppose we could ask what a "formula band" is

The formula is a band!

The bands today fit in with the bands 60 years ago. They sure sound alike.
Now compare the first years of rock and roll, with music 60 years before that - 1890.
They sure don't sound alike.

Rock and roll during its early decade was still opposing and rebelling against the music that came before. Today it's cloning that rebellion in generic copies.

Some of us think that the music business is stuck in the same electric guitar, bass, and drums formula done better 60 years ago. Some of us think the real creativity is to break free of bands and go a different way from the 60 year old path that everyone else is on.
We call it postism music. It's back to basics music, with emphasis on quality songs and melody more than the personality performing them.
https://musea.wordpress.com/2013/08/24/rock-n-roll-poems/

David L. Martel

Apr 9, 2015, 8:04:17 AM4/9/15
Tom,

The formula is a band!

When you sing, as a vocalist and play as a guitarist there are 2
instruments. Are you a band?

The bands today fit in with the bands 60 years ago. They sure sound alike.

No Tom, they don't sound alike. Rock and Roll music, a genre, does have
some common elements Chamber music is a genre and has some common elements.
Perhaps in that sense a genre does sound alike. The group Yes does not sound
like the Rolling Stones. Similar number of players, similar instruments,
completely different sound. If you can't hear that, give up on trying to be
a musician.

Now compare the first years of rock and roll, with music 60 years before
that - 1890.
They sure don't sound alike.

What genre of music are you using here? You could certainly claim that
Tschaikovski is just doing orchestral music,like Bach or Beethoven yet
clearly you can hear the differences. So it's not the instruments in the
band that are important it's the composer or performers.

Some of us think that the music business is stuck in the same electric
guitar, bass, and drums formula done better 60 years ago.

So? You're wrong. It continues to evolve. I've already mentioned horn
bands and synthesizer bands.

Some of us think the real creativity is to break free of bands and go a
different way from the 60 year old path that everyone else is on.

Your "solo" act is hardly original. Geez it's been around for thousands
of years

We call it postism music. It's back to basics music, with emphasis on
quality songs and melody more than the personality performing them.
https://musea.wordpress.com/2013/08/24/rock-n-roll-poems/

Feeble arguments don't sanctify horseshit.

Dave M.

Tom Hendricks / Musea

Apr 9, 2015, 6:05:06 PM4/9/15

> The formula is a band!
>
> When you sing, as a vocalist and play as a guitarist there are 2
> instruments. Are you a band?

NO - the rock band formula is electric guitars bass and drums as the basic instruments.

> The bands today fit in with the bands 60 years ago. They sure sound alike.

> Now compare the first years of rock and roll, with music 60 years before
> that - 1890.
> They sure don't sound alike.

Music from 1890 does not sound like rock and roll.

> Some of us think that the music business is stuck in the same electric
> guitar, bass, and drums formula done better 60 years ago.

> Some of us think the real creativity is to break free of the band formula and go a
> different way from the 60 year old path that everyone else is on.
>

> We call it postism music. It's back to basics music, with emphasis on
> quality songs and melody more than the personality performing them.
> https://musea.wordpress.com/2013/08/24/rock-n-roll-poems/
>
> Feeble arguments don't sanctify horseshit.

That's why they were deleted

mark.b...@gmail.com

Apr 10, 2015, 3:44:28 AM4/10/15
Can I just apologise for opening Pandora's box. Based on this thread, we're better off with Tom just posting his advertisements every so often.

David L. Martel

Apr 10, 2015, 7:23:49 AM4/10/15
As everyone can see Tom is refusing to discuss the issues and is
deleting, rather than responding. Soon he'll lash out and beginning
spamming. Rather like he did some years ago. He'll probably include his
favorite insult about "not dumbing down" and the need to "wise up".
My work here is done.

Dave M.

gtr

Apr 10, 2015, 1:38:22 PM4/10/15
Yes, as long as no one responds to them, I won't see any of it.