Google Gruppi non supporta più i nuovi post o le nuove iscrizioni Usenet. I contenuti storici continuano a essere visibili.

Are Johnson Guitars Any Good?

949 visualizzazioni
Passa al primo messaggio da leggere

Jason Danziger

da leggere,
1 apr 2002, 22:37:3801/04/02
Does anyone here have a Johnson brand acoustic or acoustic/electric guitar?
I am looking at the JG-660 guitar which is a thinbody cutaway
acoustic/electric guitar.

It is only $157.50 here:

http://www.mandalaymusic.com/merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=1&
Product_Code=JG660TBL&Category_Code=1

Details can be seen here as well:

http://www.musiclinkcorp.com/fretted/acou_guit_11.html

I just love the way it looks in blue, and it looks like a good price for a
well-built guitar with built in pickup. This would be a second guitar for
me as I am currently using an $80 Arbor A10 I got a pawn shop a few months
ago. It does not appear to be built that well on the inside but sounds
pretty good. I think it has been treated badly over the years resulting in
its bad shape.

Thanks alot for any help you can offer.

Jason

Brent Barkow

da leggere,
2 apr 2002, 09:34:0602/04/02
Jason -
I have one. It sounds dead unplugged - even with the solid top, but that's
not what I bought it for. It sounds very nice plugged in (IMO the
electronics are worth the price of the guitar -- if the guitar dies I will
be removing the electronics), and it's cheap enough so that I can leave it
at the church for anybody to bang on. If you order it, be aware that you may
have to do quite a bit of set-up. I had to lower the saddle, adjust the
relief AND slot the nut a bit deeper. All that being said, it's my opinion
that you get more than you pay for with this guitar. I really does sound
good amplified.
Brent

Jason Danziger <danz...@olin.wustl.edu> wrote in message

Lumpy

da leggere,
2 apr 2002, 10:15:4502/04/02
Jason Danziger wrote:
> Does anyone here have a Johnson
> brand acoustic or acoustic/electric guitar?

I had a guitar student show up for his first
lesson with a $100 Johnson dreadnaught. I inspected
it and found cracked braces, cracked heel block,
bridge lifting, still smelled like lacquer.

It wouldn't tune, I presume due to the cracked
stuff inside the box. I had to turn the guy down
as a student till he got a guitar worth working with.

lumpy

MAIB

da leggere,
2 apr 2002, 19:47:4402/04/02
See, this is the kind of thing that makes this group such a great resource.
Here's a professional musician, and guitar instructor, with recent,
real-life experience with the instruments in question, providing detailed
and significant feedback. Isn't the Internet a great thing <g>?

OTOH, Lumpy is a jerk.

Mark

"Lumpy" <lu...@digitalcartography.com> wrote in message

Lumpy

da leggere,
3 apr 2002, 00:36:1303/04/02
MAIB wrote:
> OTOH, Lumpy is a jerk.

Oh I'll bet you wouldn't say that if I
didn't have a gorgeous, sexy girlfriend,
several guitars and horses in the back yard.

"A man's gotta know his limitations"

dirty lumpy

Greg N.

da leggere,
3 apr 2002, 07:20:4103/04/02

MAIB wrote:
> See, this is the kind of thing that makes this
> group such a great resource.

I would not assume that a significant percentage of Johnson Instruments
are wrecks like this one (UPS can turn *any* guitar into that state in a
day :-). The Johnsons I have tried in stores were cheap and a bit on
the rough side - about what you'd expect at that price point, but
essentially usable.

I'd say Lumpy's story says more a about that chiseler of a dealer who
did not hesitate to sell a smashed up instrument, than anything about
Johnson's quality or lack thereof.

Greg N.

--
http://peepmatz.coolhaus.de
http://www.neatone.com

MAIB

da leggere,
3 apr 2002, 08:59:0703/04/02
Don't bet on it, pal. (The dogs might be enough.)

Mark

"Lumpy" <lu...@digitalcartography.com> wrote in message

Robert

da leggere,
3 apr 2002, 09:34:5403/04/02
Quit talking about Johnsons!
Geez
stay on the topic of guitars.

MAIB

da leggere,
3 apr 2002, 10:40:1803/04/02
My Johnson is fairly beat up.... I'm not letting Lumpy anywhere near it.

Mark

Robert wrote in message <12847b5c.02040...@posting.google.com>...

Lumpy

da leggere,
3 apr 2002, 12:21:1003/04/02
MAIB wrote:
> My Johnson is fairly beat up....
> I'm not letting Lumpy anywhere near it.

You shouldn't beat your Johnson.
You'll go blind.

masters and lumpy

Lumpy

da leggere,
4 apr 2002, 06:01:1504/04/02

GregN wrote:
> ...UPS can turn *any* guitar into that
> state in a day...

> I'd say Lumpy's story says more a about
> that chiseler of a dealer who did not
> hesitate to sell a smashed up instrument,
> than anything about
> Johnson's quality or lack thereof.

You're suggesting that cracked braces, heel block
and lifting bridge is a result of poor UPS handling
and not poor construction materials and methods?

This is a guitar made in China that retails for $99.
Wholesales for what, half of that? I would expect,
almost guarantee, poor quality at that extreme
low end of the scale.

lump

Greg N.

da leggere,
4 apr 2002, 16:13:1404/04/02
Lumpy wrote:

> You're suggesting that cracked braces, heel block
> and lifting bridge is a result of poor UPS handling
> and not poor construction materials and methods?

I'm suggesting that what you saw was a smashed up guitar. Somebody
broke it, and I guess it happened after the instrument left the
factory. Sure, my guess is no better than anybody's, but I can't
imagine cracked braces and heel blocks to be standard features, at *any*
price point, even in China.

--
Greg N.

http://www.neatone.com
http://peepmatz.coolhaus.de

jamesch...@gmail.com

da leggere,
2 apr 2018, 17:40:4402/04/18
Im thinking of buying one tomorrow in murphy NC,135,00 bucks,its,at a music store,my Avereze ive had anout 5 yrs went out on me,
0 nuovi messaggi