Epiphone AJ28S: Is this a decent guitar?

eli...@one.net

Nov 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/23/98
I recently purchaced an Epiphone AJ28S new for $360. Did I get a good
deal and how does this guitar rank in the same price range? I should
have researched more, but this instument just stood out among the rest
(sound quality and was just plain beautiful) and was the best I could
afford.... Did I do well with this?

Thanks in advance,

Doug
eli...@one.net

OASYSCO

Nov 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/24/98
Doug,

>I recently purchaced an Epiphone AJ28S new for $360. Did I get a good
>deal and how does this guitar rank in the same price range? I should
>have researched more, but this instument just stood out among the rest
>(sound quality and was just plain beautiful) and was the best I could
>afford.... Did I do well with this?

You did GREAT! You got a solid top guitar, a jumbo sized body, and - most
importantly - a guitar that you like!

Now comes the hard part - practicing.

Greg

Hojo2X

Nov 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/24/98
After Doug wrote: >I recently purchaced an Epiphone AJ28S new for $360. Did I

Greg wrote:

>You did GREAT! You got a solid top guitar, a jumbo sized body, and - most
>importantly - a guitar that you like!

If this is the guitar I think it it is, (and I just checked my Epiphone
literature, and it is) you got one of the absolute best values on the market.
It has not what most folks would call a jumbo body (reserving that term for
Gibson J-200s and clones) but, rather, what's called a "round-shouldered
dreadnought."

I personally like this style of dreadnought more than the square-shouldered
Martin style that most other companies copy. I think it tends to have a better
tonal balance.

What's more, the Epis are a good execution of that design. Only time will tell
how well this instrument will hold up physically, but at the price point it's
an exceptional value.

So, yes, congratulations, you done good, bubba!

Wade Hampton Miller

dougla...@gmail.com

Jun 11, 2016, 2:53:13 PM6/11/16
I thought I'd post a follow up for posterity. I just so happened to find my original post today.

The better part of 20 years later and this guitar is still holding up great. It looks almost mint. Some years back I did have the action cleaned up and had the plastic bridge replaced with one made from Corian.

I'd like to believe I've learned a fair bit over the years. The AJ-28 definitely opened up over the years. It has a rounded, full sound with nice harmonics. it doesn't cut through like a Martin, but having played it along side other people with various guitars, I've never once found it to be lacking. If one has the Martin sound stuck their head as the paragon of quality, this guitar will disappoint. But on its own terms, it's a wonderful instrument that has given me years of faithful service. Because of this mixed with a silly sense of sentimentality, you couldn't pay me to give up this old friend.

On Monday, November 23, 1998 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, eli...@one.net wrote:
> I recently purchaced an Epiphone AJ28S new for $360. Did I get a good
> deal and how does this guitar rank in the same price range? I should
> have researched more, but this instument just stood out among the rest
> (sound quality and was just plain beautiful) and was the best I could
> afford.... Did I do well with this?

jgo...@my-deja.com

Jun 13, 2016, 1:01:38 PM6/13/16
On Saturday, June 11, 2016 at 2:53:13 PM UTC-4, dougla...@gmail.com wrote:
> I thought I'd post a follow up for posterity. I just so happened to find my original post today.
>
> The better part of 20 years later and this guitar is still holding up great. It looks almost mint. Some years back I did have the action cleaned up and had the plastic bridge replaced with one made from Corian.
>
> I'd like to believe I've learned a fair bit over the years. The AJ-28 definitely opened up over the years. It has a rounded, full sound with nice harmonics. it doesn't cut through like a Martin, but having played it along side other people with various guitars, I've never once found it to be lacking. If one has the Martin sound stuck their head as the paragon of quality, this guitar will disappoint. But on its own terms, it's a wonderful instrument that has given me years of faithful service. Because of this mixed with a silly sense of sentimentality, you couldn't pay me to give up this old friend.

Glad to hear things have worked out. But then, I have never bought a guitar I didn't like, and very few that I have ever been willing to part with.

macho...@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2019, 11:29:49 PM3/19/19
I stumbled on your question and subsequent update as I was looking to find a comparable modern epiphone to take over for my own aj-28s which I have played owned since 2002. It still sounds and plays great, but I am worried about it lasting, as I tend to play rather heavy handed and this guitar has been through 100’s of shows with me.
So, as someone who also enjoys the aj-28s, I’d like to ask if you have found any epiphones recently that sound/feel similar? rockrockrock