Top 5 Fingerstyle Albums of All Time

rtmca

Feb 9, 2001, 9:57:35 AM2/9/01

The top five fingerstyle albums of all time--what is your opinion.
Guidelines: steel stings, fingerstyle instumental (though Pierre Bensusan
/ Michael Hedges occasional vocals would still count; Michael Hedges
Oracle would not count since played with a pick).
I think mine would be
1. The Sound of Wind Driven Rain-Will Ackerman
2. Leaves of Life -Martin Simpson
3. The Hermit-John Renbourn
4. Travelogue-Chris Proctor
5. Whispering Stone-Al Petteway

Robert McArthur

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Leotian

Feb 9, 2001, 3:59:00 PM2/9/01
Nice thread. Of course, that "all time" rule makes it tough...for me, these
are the 5 fingerstyle CD's that have most inspired me to keep pressing the
envelope and trying new things.

1. Chet Atkins - Essential Chet Atkins (cheating to use a greatest hits CD,
but hey, Chet is THE MAN!)
2. Leo Kottke - 6 & 12 String Guitar (the album that first rocked my
acoustic guitar world...and still does.)
3. Michael Hedges - Breakfast in the Field (coulda picked several Hedges'
CD's, but I'll go with the one I heard first)
4. Preston Reed - Metal (just simply some of the most stunning stuff I've
seen or heard on a solo acoustic guitar)
5. Doyle Dykes - Guitarre 2000 (a terrific guy, and a fabulous heir to the
Chet Atkins tradition)

I can't wait to see other posts on this one.

Leotian
"rtmca" <rt...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

John Collins

Feb 9, 2001, 5:41:31 PM2/9/01
Robert,
Can't really name 5, but my favorite is and has since the early 70's
Leo Kottke - Greenhouse

John

Steven Barney

Feb 9, 2001, 7:15:39 PM2/9/01
In the order in which they occurred to me:

-"Richard Ruskin" - Richard Ruskin--Ahhh, Here Comes the Teddy Bear's Kudah Duxx..  Loop that one.
-"Burnt Lips" - Leo Kottke--also gets favorite Kottke vocal: "Sonora's Death Row."--spine tingling.
-"Crossing Crystal Lake" - Howard Emerson--just one good melody after another, played dead-nuts-onAnother looper.
"Dreams And All That Stuff" - LK again.  Mona Ray and Donald Duck, can't beat that.
"Old Fashioned Love" - John Fahey.  When the hell is that coming out on CD, dammit?

Stephen Boyke

Feb 9, 2001, 11:22:42 PM2/9/01
1. Leo Kottke - 6 & 12 String Guitar (30+ years old, and still the most
influential album in the genre);

2. Michael Hedges - Aerial Boundaries (16 years old, and remains the most
creative album in the genre);

3. Alex DeGrassi - Slow Circle (a true composer/performer);

4. Leo Kottke - A Trout Towards Noon (mid-Kottke, perfect balance); and

5. Bill Mize - Road Scholar (lyric, stunning compositions, performed with
subtlty and grace).

--
Stephen T. Boyke

k...@cyberis.net

Feb 10, 2001, 1:15:00 AM2/10/01
In article <9610gp$vn3$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
rtmca <rt...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Chet Atkins: Essential Chet Atkins
Chet Atkins: Almost Alone
Earl Klugh: Solo Guitar
Ed Gerhard: Christmas (Too good to play just 1 month a year)
Keola Beamer: Moe'uhane Kika (Tales from the Dream Guitar)

Not as flashy as Hedges or some others, but virtually every note on
every song in these albums is important; nothing superfulous.

Kevin

Dar S.

Feb 10, 2001, 6:04:41 AM2/10/01
My exposure to the genre is woefully inadequate ( I love typing funny
things that I would never actually say out loud) for me to
give a very objective list. So much music, and no time to hear it all.
Leo K. - Burnt Lips, the one with silly masks on the cover, the ones
people already mentioned.
M. Hedges - Aireal Boundries (some picked stuff , so what)
My own stuff - not recorded, not played well,
most , not that complicated. To ME , it's a gift from Heaven, because
with playing and writing
I've found a voice to express a taste of the beauty and magic of Spirit
I get to piece together musical ideas that sound the best to ME, so of
course what comes out is what I like best. Trust me , I'm in no danger
of being hot stuff anytime soon, so it isn't about that.
There's this taboo against saying good things about one's self: it's
proud, it's egotistical, it's
self absorbed ......(ok, ya got me on that last one). 8^P
Screw all that ! I have humiity. I'm nobody. I play lousy compared to
anyone really good . I also love the music I write, and there's nothing
wrong with saying that. I am blessed to have a connection that allows
new music to manifest.
Now, I have get good at playing so y'all wont laugh me out of town when
you hear .
Dar (apologies to anyone I haven't offended yet........take a number)
(^:#

rtmca

Feb 10, 2001, 11:06:45 AM2/10/01
In article <oSYg6.3673$iB1.7...@typhoon.austin.rr.com>,

"Leotian" <j...@montiac.com> wrote:
> Nice thread. Of course, that "all time" rule makes it tough...for me,
these
> are the 5 fingerstyle CD's that have most inspired me to keep pressing
the
> envelope and trying new things.

This is really true. "Best" is very subjective and should include in
its mneaning, what is most important and influential to the individual.
Given that, I think early Chet Atkins must have really influenced me as
a kid, and also John Fahey and Alex G'Grassi, later.
Robert

Hank Alinger

Feb 10, 2001, 1:40:48 PM2/10/01

Geez, how about a hard question...?

Leo-"6 & 12 String Guitar"
Leo- "Greenhouse" (or any number of other LK recordings)
Hedges-"Aerial Boundaries"
Don Ross- "Passion Session"
Tommy Emmanuel- "Only".

If you would like to score yourself, just compare against my answers.
There're all correct of course. :-)

Hank

LeachGuitars

Feb 10, 2001, 9:06:39 PM2/10/01
the best of all time must be "Guts and Steel" - Thom Bresh and Buster B
Jones... together for the first time! ...OK, so it's not even out yet but I
have faith!
My favorites all seem to have Leach Guitars on them....humor me :o)
Harv
--
Visit Leach Guitars http://www.leachguitars.com

Jack Cullen

Feb 10, 2001, 11:21:57 PM2/10/01
I haven't really got a list of five, but I have had for about 35 years a
recording called Adventures For 12-String, 6-String and Banjo by a
fellow named Dick Rosmini who, sadly, passed away a year or two ago.
His main interest was actually the technical aspects of recording
acoustic instruments and he taught it at college level. I think he was
on the faculty at Peperdine although it may have been another LA area
college. I've always enjoyed it and it has influenced, if not my style
of playing, certainly my attempts at style. I don't think I've ever
seen him mentioned in this list and I wonder if anybody in the group has
an opinion of him and/or this recording?

--
Jack Cullen
West Chatham, Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA

TimW

Feb 10, 2001, 11:29:27 PM2/10/01
rtmca <rt...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:9610gp$vn3$1...@nnrp1.deja.com...

> The top five fingerstyle albums of all time--what is your opinion.
> Guidelines: steel stings, fingerstyle instumental (though Pierre Bensusan
> / Michael Hedges occasional vocals would still count; Michael Hedges
> Oracle would not count since played with a pick).

Well I hope I have some time left to hear alot more great fingestyle music
but to this point and from the artist I have listened to I'd say the
following have inspired me greatly .

no particular order...
Al Petteway - Whispering Stones
Preston Reed - Metal
El McMeen - Irish Guitar Encores
Phil Keaggy - Beyond Nature
Don Ross - Passion Sessions
Michael Hedges - Taproot
Bill Mize - Tender Explorations
John Renbourn - The Black Baloon
Andrew White - The Heart Of Celtic Guitar
Pierre Bensusan - Pres De Paris
Ok there's more than five but it's the best I can do!

TimW

MKarlo

Feb 10, 2001, 11:31:30 PM2/10/01
How 'bout "YOUR Top 5...." Major league sub*jec*tive here. Many of the
fingerstyle albums that have been recommended to me sound like excessive
noodling on an acoustic guitar, because I just happen to like more melodic,
flowing type work. Just my 2 cents.
Mitch

"Restore Beauty Where There Is Ugliness."

Rick Ruskin

Feb 11, 2001, 12:21:03 AM2/11/01
On Sat, 10 Feb 2001 23:21:57 -0500, Jack Cullen <JJoe...@aol.com>
wrote:

Dick was.one of my best friends. He produced/engineered 4 plus of my
albums, taught recording at USC, and was also very much responsible
for a lot of the home recording devices that are now taken for granted
via his consultant work with Tascam, JBL, and CAD.

He and I differed on our approaches to the guitar but his mastery was
undeniable. He was also very innovative with microphone technique.

For what it's worth, I see a great resemblance between Dick's Elektra
album and Kottke's 1st Takoma album.

Rick Ruskin
Lion Dog Music - Seattle WA
http://www.isomedia.com/homes/liondog
http://www.itrstudio.com/rruskin.html

Harvey Gerst

Feb 11, 2001, 7:57:49 AM2/11/01
lio...@isomedia.com (Rick Ruskin) wrote:

>Jack Cullen <JJoe...@aol.com> wrote:

>>I haven't really got a list of five, but I have had for about 35 years a
>>recording called Adventures For 12-String, 6-String and Banjo by a
>>fellow named Dick Rosmini who, sadly, passed away a year or two ago.
>>His main interest was actually the technical aspects of recording
>>acoustic instruments and he taught it at college level. I think he was
>>on the faculty at Peperdine although it may have been another LA area
>>college. I've always enjoyed it and it has influenced, if not my style
>>of playing, certainly my attempts at style. I don't think I've ever
>>seen him mentioned in this list and I wonder if anybody in the group has
>>an opinion of him and/or this recording?

>Dick was.one of my best friends. He produced/engineered 4 plus of my

>albums, taught recording at USC, and was also very much responsible
>for a lot of the home recording devices that are now taken for granted
>via his consultant work with Tascam, JBL, and CAD.
>
>He and I differed on our approaches to the guitar but his mastery was
>undeniable. He was also very innovative with microphone technique.
>
>For what it's worth, I see a great resemblance between Dick's Elektra
>album and Kottke's 1st Takoma album.

Rick,

I remeber sending Rosmini an article I found where Leo Kottke mentioned that
Dick Rosmini was a major influence on his playing. And yeah, i miss the "Ros"
too.

Harvey Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio
http://www.ITRstudio.com/

TimW

Feb 11, 2001, 4:57:08 PM2/11/01
MKarlo <mka...@aol.comspamnyet> wrote in message

> How 'bout "YOUR Top 5...." Major league sub*jec*tive here. Many of the
> fingerstyle albums that have been recommended to me sound like excessive
> noodling on an acoustic guitar, because I just happen to like more
melodic,
> flowing type work. Just my 2 cents.

Tell us who these melodic flowing people are?
Thanks
--
TimW

Philip Holmes

Feb 12, 2001, 12:44:59 AM2/12/01
As I write this thread I am listening to Martin Simpson "Live" Definitely a
keeper. Any recording by John Renborne, Bert Jansch, Bruce Cockburn, Peter
Finger and Lenny Breau.
Philip

--
"It's not what you say; it's the way how you say it"
(James Brown)
"TimW" <t...@woodsong.com> wrote in message

amp...@i1.net

Feb 12, 2001, 5:59:26 AM2/12/01
I quickly scanned through these posts, and I didn't see what I think is
the best ever fingerstyle album. Takoma's Leo Kottke/Peter Lang/John
Fahey compilation. It's on CD, and has one of the best fingerstyle
tunes ever. Peter Lang's - When Kings Come Home. If you can find it,
check it out. You will not be disappointed.

misc...@my-deja.com

Feb 12, 2001, 10:46:19 AM2/12/01
Well, I hear what I like and I like what I hear... Which is to say, I
don't have nearly the exposure to a number of things that I'm nearly
positive I'd love that I ought. Eventually...

I'm trying to think across the stuff that I *do* have, and Phil
Keaggy's "Beyond Nature" is, I think, an obvious candidate. Likewise,
though overlooked here, is Bill Frisell. I know he works on the
electric side, but if you get a chance "Good Dog, Happy Man" is about
as enjoyable as they come, with some accompanying instrumentation.
Brooks Williams' "Little Lion" has the same kind of comfortably cool
vibe, and is, to my ear, thoroughly listenable. These two might fare
better in a desert island scenario, where a robust *liking* gains more
equal footing with the more objective sense of technical mastery and
achievement.

But I'm taking a lot of time not answering the question...

Michael

In article <9610gp$vn3$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

MikeY

Feb 12, 2001, 7:29:07 PM2/12/01
Here is my nickle's worth:

no particular order...

AL PETTEWAY- WHISPERING STONED err, STONES

PHIL KEAGGY- BEYOND NATURE

CHET ATKINS- FINGERSTYLE GUITAR

JIM EARP- ROSEWOOD

DOUG SMITH- ALONE AT LAST

MikeY

"WASATCH BOULEVARD" NOW AVAILABLE!!! MikeY's first CD

FINGERSTYLE GUITAR
WEB PAGE: http://www.concentric.net/~mikekeo/ updated 01/26/01

Peter Collin

Feb 12, 2001, 9:18:36 PM2/12/01
Gosh....Not one mention of Michael Hedges. Oh, my aching head......

Peter Collin

Michael C. Horsch

Feb 12, 2001, 9:40:53 PM2/12/01
I didn't see Peter Finger in there either. Maybe I missed it. His
CDs might be hard to find in North America. "Between the Lines" (1995)
and "Open Strings" (1999).

Mike

MKarlo

Feb 12, 2001, 9:44:53 PM2/12/01
Someone asked me what I considered melodic and flowing. Keaggy and Atkins come
to mind. Juber. Some of de Grassi's stuff. Pat Kirtley (really like his tune
"Grandpa's Lullaby"). What little I've heard of our own Mcmeen & Pattis sound
like the ticket. And what do I consider "excessive noodling"? This song
doesn't count because it was intentional, but the tune "Too Fast" on the latest
Kottke album is a perfect example. Anything wrong with liking that?
Absolutely not. It's just not my cup of java.

Bob Newton

Feb 12, 2001, 9:59:18 PM2/12/01

Michael C. Horsch wrote in message <3A889EB2...@cs.usask.ca>...

>I didn't see Peter Finger in there either. Maybe I missed it. His
>CDs might be hard to find in North America. "Between the Lines" (1995)
>and "Open Strings" (1999).

Yes, Michael, they are hard to find in the US. I don't know if any record
stores stock Peter's stuff - I may have seen one CD in a Tower Records once,
although I haven't checked on Amazon. I got Between the Lines on my last
visit to Frankfurt and plan to get Open Strings when I'm there in March.
What a powerhouse musician and a fine composer, too!

I understand that it is possible to order from his website and have them
delivered in the US, but since I go to Frankfurt regularly I haven't done
that.

Bob N.

Craig S. Kim

Feb 15, 2001, 5:25:57 PM2/15/01
Loe Kottke: 6 and 12 string guitar

-c.

Frank Hudson

Feb 17, 2001, 3:06:05 PM2/17/01
In article <9610gp$vn3$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, rt...@yahoo.com says...

> The top five fingerstyle albums of all time--what is your opinion.
> Guidelines: steel stings, fingerstyle instumental (though Pierre Bensusan
> / Michael Hedges occasional vocals would still count; Michael Hedges
> Oracle would not count since played with a pick).

I'm not sure I want to sign on to all your restrictions, starting with
the idea that there's a hierarchy or that the additions of voices or
picks reduces the music. But....

John Fahey "Blind Joe Death". How can you be more influential than
starting this genre, at least in North America

Leo Kottke "6 & 12 String Guitar". Still Amazing.

Robert Johnson "King of the Delta Bluesingers". How many of us got
turned onto the range of acoustic country blues by this album? I don't
care if every one of this album's cuts has a vocal or which songs were
played with a pick.

Pentangle "first album" is more instrumental than the others by the
group and has two great guitarists and a great rhythm section. A shame
it's not out on CD.

Joe Pass "Virtuoso No. 2" He used a flatpick along with his fingers.
Just a great expression of what a solo guitarist can do musically with
great music.

Bonus Selection: Dean Magraw "Seventh One" Sorry, he uses a flat pick at
times too. Superb technical ability delivers good rhythmic feel and
catchy melody. Folks know his talent around the Twin Cities, but
nationally a "talent worthy of greater attention".

-Frank Hudson
remove the "x" when replying
Web page with sound samples and the "So You Want to Buy A Guitar FAQ":
http://www.users.uswest.net/~fhudson/

dooo...@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2015, 1:46:43 AM4/13/15
Back in the early '60s Dick Rosmini was my guitar inspiration and I regret not having seen him at the Greenwhich Village folk clubs he played when I was growing up in the NYC area. I love his version of LITTLE BROWN DOG on his ADVENTURERS album. Sure wish there was a transcription available.
Danny Bromberg
dooo...@gmail.com